• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

IlikeTrains

Colonel
28 Badges
May 2, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
v2.1.2
Compatible with: WtWSMS 0.9.13

Checksum: ???

DOWNLOAD LINK IN ATTACHMENT

Early Bookmarks Submod (EBS) is a submod for WtWSMS that focuses on adding... well... early bookmarks.

Features
  • 445 "Scourge of God" bookmark focused on Attila the Hun
  • 459 "A New Hope" bookmark focused on emperor Maiorianus of the Western Roman Empire
  • Scrollable 445-476 history
  • Minor tweaks to WtWSMS de-jure and de-facto map setup
2020-08-24 v2.1.2

BUGFIXES:
- Fixed flags
- Fixed descriptions of Attila and Valentinian III
- Character history and title history fixes

2020-07-31 v2.1.1
-----------

BUGFIXES:
- Fixed the Adkaddakhe realm being split in two
- Fixed the Garamantes not being balkanised in the early bookmarks
- Fixed duplicate character definitions
- Fixed wrong ID of Guaram Guaramid being used in title history

2020-07-18 v2.1
-----------

MAJOR:
- Compatibility with WtWSMS 0.9.13

MINOR:
- Added a lot of historical characters
- Added a lot of Wikipedia links, mostly to indicate which characters are historical
- Changed the Xionite ruler's religion to Hephthalite
- Fixed some characters and titles being Nestorian before the Council of Ephesus
- Made Odoacer's revolt landless

BUGFIXES:
- Fixed Theodosius II becoming the Eastern Roman Emperor in 421 instead of 408
- Added the missing "Steel Arms" nickname
- Fixed the dynasty of the Balti Visigothic kings
- Fixed the name of historical vicar of Britannia after 395 being "Chrystanthus" instead of "Chrysanthus"

2018-08-02 v2.0
-----------

MAJOR:
- A 445 bookmark and scrollable history extension
- Greatly reduced the submod size thanks to @loup99

MINOR:
- Fixed Syagrius being theocratic in 476
- Added twenty historical comites Orientis
- Added Pergamius, praefectus augustalis in 482 with his relatives, including John the Silent
- Added six other historical praefecti augustales
- Made Londinium remain under Brittonic control until 470, as suggested by @abian363
- Added eight historical governors of Palaestina Prima (Iudea in game)
- Added two historical governors of Syria Salutaris
- Added three other historical governors
- Added Theodorus, pater civitatis of Smyrna
- Added Hilarion, pater civitatis of Jerusalem
- Added Hierodoxus, pater civitatis of Attalia
- Fixes for the pentarchy setup
- Added four kings of the Kidarites
- Gave Sassanid de-jure province of Paradan to Sassanid empire

2018-07-10 v1.0
-----------------

- Inital release of Early Bookmarks Submod for WtWSMS, featuring a 459 bookmark and scrollable history extension

Where do I report a bug/issue or share an idea/suggestion?
  • In this thread.

As with other mods, installation consists of downloading the .zip file and extracting it to your mod folder. After that, start the game, check the "WtWSMS Early Bookmarks Submod" box in the mod tab (making sure that "When the World Stopped Making Sense" is also ticked) and enjoy!

I look forward to any form of feedback.

Credits:
  • BTWK team for help with the British Isles
  • @abian363 for help with Iberian Peninsula and finding historical characters
  • @tsf4 for help with filling the map
  • @loup99 for help with organizing the files
  • users for reporting problems

Attachments

• EBS-2.1.2.zip
    1,9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Bit of feedback from looking at the files of your sub-mod that might as well be voiced directly here rather than in private message as my other submission, since others might have thoughts on it too:
  • You currently have Mediolanum (Milan) set as the capital of the WRE in the landed_titles folder, presumably in preparation for eventual history expansion, but as of the current sub-mod release that doesn't correspond to the earliest date available in bookmarks and history, as you yourself commented in the file.
  • You use the Cumbric culture for Hen Ogled and some added characters in the sub-mod, but said culture is not present in any province. This might be your intention but I just thought it was worth pointing out.

Bit of feedback from looking at the files of your sub-mod that might as well be voiced directly here rather than in private message as my other submission, since others might have thoughts on it too:
  • You currently have Mediolanum (Milan) set as the capital of the WRE in the landed_titles folder, presumably in preparation for eventual history expansion, but as of the current sub-mod release that doesn't correspond to the earliest date available in bookmarks and history, as you yourself commented in the file.
  • You use the Cumbric culture for Hen Ogled and some added characters in the sub-mod, but said culture is not present in any province. This might be your intention but I just thought it was worth pointing out.
Thanks for the feedback!
  • The in-game capital of WRE is Ravenna anyway, because Mediolanum is held by a vassal.
  • Thanks for pointing it out, I will make Northern England and southern Lowland Scotland Cumbric for the next version, because the culture is already in the files.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • The in-game capital of WRE is Ravenna anyway, because Mediolanum is held by a vassal.
But if the AI were to get hold of the title it would switch, which in my view doesn't make sense given that the Imperial residence had been moved to Ravenna, so there is no reason for it to prioritise Mediolanum if it gets hold of it.

But if the AI were to get hold of the title it would switch, which in my view doesn't make sense given that the Imperial residence had been moved to Ravenna, so there is no reason for it to prioritise Mediolanum if it gets hold of it.
I can make Ravenna the capital in the next version, I just have to remember to bring Mediolanum back when 395 bookmark is done.

@loup99 I noticed that one of the WtWSMS loading tips mentions Britons dividing into Welsh and Cumbrians (so I guess also Cornish and Breton) in time, but it seems that nothing like this has been actually implemented. I could work on this (I don't want to say "melting-pots" because it was generally one culture just splitting up).

@loup99 I noticed that one of the WtWSMS loading tips mentions Britons dividing into Welsh and Cumbrians (so I guess also Cornish and Breton) in time, but it seems that nothing like this has been actually implemented. I could work on this (I don't want to say "melting-pots" because it was generally one culture just splitting up).
My above post wasn't an opinion on the sub-mod setup, it was a thought regarding consistency. Work as you wish in the sub-mod, I don't have the time to research how things diverged prior to 476, unfortunately. Sorry if it sounded like that, it wasn't my intent at all.

Last edited:
I had WtWSMS in mind, the loading tip is in WtWSMS.
What do you mean? Do you want to expand this sub-mod beyond pure time line expansion? Then we might ask you for permission to integrate those aspects into the main mod, provided it is fine with you, and you would receive credits naturally.

What do you mean? Do you want to expand this sub-mod beyond pure time line expansion? Then we might ask you for permission to integrate those aspects into the main mod, provided it is fine with you, and you would receive credits naturally.
I mean it should be done in WtWSMS, apparently this was even planned but not implemented. I could work directly in WtWSMS on this, as "Kenneth Jackson concludes that the majority of changes that transformed British into Primitive Welsh [you can put Cumbric here too] belong to the period from the middle of the fifth to the end of the sixth century."

With the WRE still being that huge, have you implemented measures to at least make its fall more likely compared to the usual unstoppable CK2 blobs? For example, I rarely see the Sassanids nor the ERE collapse in my own, other or observer playthroughs. I am just unsure whether all those rather small barbarian realms will dare to attack the WRE due to AI CK2 logic, contrary to the turn real history took.
In short: Is your WRE struck by imperial decay and thus qualifies as the severly weakened giant it was in real history :)?

With the WRE still being that huge, have you implemented measures to at least make its fall more likely compared to the usual unstoppable CK2 blobs? For example, I rarely see the Sassanids nor the ERE collapse in my own, other or observer playthroughs. I am just unsure whether all those rather small barbarian realms will dare to attack the WRE due to AI CK2 logic, contrary to the turn real history took.
In short: Is your WRE struck by imperial decay and thus qualifies as the severly weakened giant it was in real history :)?
The submod doesn't feature any additional mechanic yet, but that should change.
I noticed a lot of rulers in Britannia are 19 year olds. Is this wad?
Works as scripted in WtWSMS history, I haven't changed their age IIRC.

The submod doesn't feature any additional mechanic yet, but that should change.

Works as scripted in WtWSMS history, I haven't changed their age IIRC.

Maybe the imperial decay-mechanic employed in HIP could be a solution? Or at least a solid starting point / inspiration for a new mechanism? It's basically a negative factor that decreases parameter's like levy-size, tax-income and some other things by every succession / lost war / ... . It can be countered by winning war's and performing some awesome, prestigious deeds. But in the long run it's getting harder and harder to keep the imperical decay factor low or at the status quo level. It fucks over weak rulers and provides a challenge for capable one's. Overall it tones down the unplausible and ahistorical CK2 tendency to foster blobby giants in eternity. You can also define starting level's for the imperical-decay factor per realm.
Naturally, it only affects realms of the empire-level.
For example (and if I recall correctly), in HIP's 1066 start, the ERE starts with a much higher imperical decay-factor than the HRE, simply to mirror how old it already was at the game's start (and presumably how rotten / decayed / the moral of its leaders, bureaucracy and so forth). This prevents the ERE from blobbing in almost every game. It happens from time to time, given they have capable ruler's, but one will also see them fall apart every now and then.
I'd like to provide you with the dev diary, which HIP's EMF wrote back then, when introducing that mechanic, but I can't find it. I'll keep searching.

Maybe the imperial decay-mechanic employed in HIP could be a solution? Or at least a solid starting point / inspiration for a new mechanism? It's basically a negative factor that decreases parameter's like levy-size, tax-income and some other things by every succession / lost war / ... . It can be countered by winning war's and performing some awesome, prestigious deeds. But in the long run it's getting harder and harder to keep the imperical decay factor low or at the status quo level. It fucks over weak rulers and provides a challenge for capable one's. Overall it tones down the unplausible and ahistorical CK2 tendency to foster blobby giants in eternity. You can also define starting level's for the imperical-decay factor per realm.
Naturally, it only affects realms of the empire-level.
For example (and if I recall correctly), in HIP's 1066 start, the ERE starts with a much higher imperical decay-factor than the HRE, simply to mirror how old it already was at the game's start (and presumably how rotten / decayed / the moral of its leaders, bureaucracy and so forth). This prevents the ERE from blobbing in almost every game. It happens from time to time, given they have capable ruler's, but one will also see them fall apart every now and then.
I'd like to provide you with the dev diary, which HIP's EMF wrote back then, when introducing that mechanic, but I can't find it. I'll keep searching.
I don't know if it should affect the levy size. Historically the WRE after Majorian's reign was very decayed, so if a big malus was applied, the 476 WRE start would be unwinnable and imbalanced.

Last edited:
I cant start the game with this submod... game crash. I choose the basic mod and the submod and it crashes

EDIT: Your Submod is incompatible with Better looking garbs submod for the basic Wtwsms Mod :(

Last edited: