Imperator - Development Diary #7 - 9th of July 2018

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I Reeeeealllllly hope that the Carthaginian characters arent freaking super white guys like in this picture.... There is this long standing whitewashing of the Greeks and Romans, both quite swarthy people, but the Carthaginians are hundreds of years separated from Phoenicia and North Africa PLEASE devs dont make them... white.

Would be nice if you could back up strong statements like this with a source. As far as I know the Carthaginian nobility looked pretty much as white as the Romans did but if you claim different I'm perfectly fine with changing my mind if you can back it up with something else then some difficult to follow argumentation.

I Reeeeealllllly hope that the Carthaginian characters arent freaking super white guys like in this picture.... There is this long standing whitewashing of the Greeks and Romans, both quite swarthy people, but the Carthaginians are hundreds of years separated from Phoenicia and North Africa PLEASE devs dont make them... white.

I am more worried about a Carthaginian wearing a toga praetexta honestly.

Are people assigned only to one task or they can do a few? For example, governing a province and researching in there? Or governing and being a local general?
Another question is: will characters be in certain locations or they will move virtually quick like in CKII?
And will we have to educate children like in CKII or we will have children education and hereditary aspect simplified?

Last, but not the least: what is the use of personal wealth? You probably can't personally own a province as a character, or some holding in there as far as I suspect. So how do you use your wealth as a character? To backstab Imperator once the opportunity arises? At least for republics it seems to be understandable that you get elections. But other than political, is there anything but hedonism where you could invest your money?

Would be nice if you could back up strong statements like this with a source. As far as I know the Carthaginian nobility looked pretty much as white as the Romans did but if you claim different I'm perfectly fine with changing my mind if you can back it up with something else then some difficult to follow argumentation.

They'd be a mix between tanned colour of Romans, mix between dark skin colour because of interbreeding with the Berbers (how much is debatable) and the skin colour of the Phoenecians who they were descended from. I don't think it's too revisionist to assume they won't be as white as someone from Britain or Scandinavia etc...

Bare in mind we don't know the skin colour of most historical characters unless they are deliberately mentioned we can only assume

Hm so we've all seen the leftist arguments that if you are white you are automatically responsible for racism and all crimes committed in the past even if they happened before you were born. I wonder if that works the other way around too. Are "white" romans also evil and responsible for the crimes that other white people would commit centuries after they were all dead? :D

Most of the tribal nations are being changed to a proper noun. In this case, we'll be using Senonia.

I expect this will displease some, but as we have to display tribes as a map object, rather than an indistinct tribal location, we'll have to make adjustments.

Authors sometimes used this practice when referring to 'the land of the Arverni' - Arvernia, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the region where the Marsi people live was and is called Marsica and not Marsia

So the tags would be Semnones and Marsi? Or Semnonia and Marsica?

Preferably the former.

Don't tell me you are gonna change Boi right? That migt give you a lot of prominence but I doubt it'll be popular.

Hopefully none of the other tribes either.

From Johan's twitter: Confirms that there will be a character screen
l2x5DQW.jpg

xzbks4N.jpg

It's similiar but there are already some differences.
Woohoo!

Now we know that there will be, at the very least, two women in the game (assuming that these two are different characters).

What Ilike :
I like to see Characters with traits, stats and roleplay elements like Crusader Kings, I hope to see a lot of the CKII style in game like events, and so on.

What I don't like:
I don't like to have only four attrributes
  • Martial equivalent to Martial
  • Charisma equivalent to diplomacy
  • Zeal equivalent to Learning
  • Finesse equivalent to Stewarship

What I hope:
  • I hope not to see sicilian or middleeastern style romans and Italians, thats a clichè from USA that I hate, On countrary ancient Romans looked even more Nordic than today Italians, lot of blonds, and light featured people. For example Augustus.
  • I hope to see more attributes , traits and feature like CKII
  • I hope to see all the small little traits like in CKII , from midas touch to lusthfull and so on...
  • I would like to see also others like in CKII , eventually
    • Intrigue ( plots and subplot stuff in game too )
    • Split Finesse in Litterate and Stewardship

What Ilike :
I like to see Characters with traits, stats and roleplay elements like Crusader Kings, I hope to see a lot of the CKII style in game like events, and so on.

What I don't like:
I don't like to have only four attrributes
  • Martial equivalent to Martial
  • Charisma equivalent to diplomacy
  • Zeal equivalent to Learning
  • Finesse equivalent to Stewarship

What I hope:
  • I hope not to see sicilian or middleeastern style romans and Italians, thats a clichè from USA that I hate, On countrary ancient Romans looked even more Nordic than today Italians, lot of blonds, and light featured people. For example Augustus.
  • I hope to see more attributes , traits and feature like CKII
  • I hope to see all the small little traits like in CKII , from midas touch to lusthfull and so on...
  • I would like to see also others like in CKII , eventually
    • Intrigue ( plots and subplot stuff in game too )
    • Split Finesse in Litterate and Stewardship
Seems to me like you want to play CK2 in Rome.

Whitewashing? Greek and Romans were swarthy?! What... And if you look at North African people like Tunisians... tell me they are black.

Depends on what he meant by swarthy. Aristotle thought Greeks were of medium complexion which he thought was superior to the extremes. In Hollywood sword and sandal epics the casts are arguably too "nordic", limited as they were by the actor base.

(Edit) Ah, I see he was talking about the Carthaginian portrait. Seems reasonable enough to me, the portrait actually looks less nordic than the current president of Tunisia. Though perhaps as outdoorsy guy with martial 9 he should be more tanned?

Last edited:

Whitewashing? Greek and Romans were swarthy?! What... And if you look at North African people like Tunisians... tell me they are black.
Also the nobility mostly is lighter skinned than the commoners.

Romans looked quite more nordic than normal average Italian today actually , there were lots of blonds and blue eyed people , anyone knowing roman history knows it .
there were entire Italic tribes called after their complexion , like the Rutuli ( the blond ones ) , so all that idea of Italians and Romans or Greeks beeing Swarty is just an US based media movie crap based on the look of a few sicilians that have probably more roots in arabs than Italians... so Italians and Romans or Greeks are just as white as most northern europeans but with darker hairs for the most, yet blondism was pretty diffuse .

Seems to me like you want to play CK2 in Rome.

I loved EUIV , but after I played CKII I can't play EUIV anymore , I want CKII mechanics everywhere!

Last edited:
Romans looked quite more nordic than normal average Italian today actually , there were lots of blonds and blue eyed people , anyone knowing roman history knows it .
there were entire Italic tribes called after their complexion , like the Rutuli ( the blond ones ) , so all that idea of Italians and Romans or Greeks beeing Swarty is just an US based media movie crap that has no roots in reality.

The ancient Greeks and Romans thought Celts were quite distinct looking and different than themselves. See my remark on Aristotle above.

Academic source for Romans being more nordic than modern Italians?

I don't know if it has been asked already, but how are skills going to scale, that is, is it linear or is it exponential? I remember one of my main issues with EU:Rome was that generals with 9 stars in Martial were too good. There was no way that a general with 7 or 8 would win, even with more troops, meaning that you were forced to use them if the AI was lucky enough to get a 9 star general. And if that general was disloyal and had many legions, that's it, you're done. Sure, it might be good for representing dependence on good generals that might be rebellious, but the gap between different skill levels was extremely harsh.

So the tags would be Semnones and Marsi? Or Semnonia and Marsica?

Preferably the former.

Hopefully none of the other tribes either.

The latter. Marsica is a modern name, not necessarily what the area would have been called in antiquity.

We're used to seeing the tribal identifier as a plural on maps, but this is particularly difficult to work with. 'Marsia' just meant 'the land of the Marsi', thus I see no reason not to use that convention here.

Romans looked quite more nordic than normal average Italian today actually , there were lots of blonds and blue eyed people , anyone knowing roman history knows it.

Do you have any sources on this?

The latter. Marsica is a modern name, not necessarily what the area would have been called in antiquity.

We're used to seeing the tribal identifier as a plural on maps, but this is particularly difficult to work with. 'Marsia' just meant 'the land of the Marsi', thus I see no reason not to use that convention here.

Do you have any sources on this?

Yes :

the ancient Italic tribes come first of all from north and many before settling retained a certain degree of light features, the predominant ethnic type that made the upper classes of Rome .
For example there were even a whole tribe named "the blond ones" ( Rutulians) .
With the expansion Rome inglobated many other territories, and non Italic tribes as well with time , invasions and slavery the number of Roman citizens increased and slowly started to include people with darker hairs .

We have proves of many Romans having light features and a more nordic look :

R. Peterson’s fine study, The Classical World (1985), which includes an analysis of 43 Greek, and 32 Roman figures, is persuasive. Dr. Peterson explains that the Romans painted their death masks to preserve the color, as well as the shape, of their ancestors’ faces. Blue eyes, fair hair, and light complexions are common. A good example of ethnic type is the famous portrait bust of Lucius Junius Brutus, the founder of the Roman Republic, which dates from the fourth century BC. Brutus’ face is identifiably northern, and so is the color of his eyes.
The sculptor used ivory for the whites and blue glass for the pupils.
Another classic example is the famous fresco from the Villa of the Mysteries in Pompeii, which shows four women undergoing ritual flagellation. They are tall, light-skinned, and brown-haired.There is also evidence from Roman names. Rutilus means “red, gold, auburn” and stems from the verb rutilo, which means “to shine with a reddish gleam.” Rufus, meaning red, was a common Roman cognomen or nickname used for a personal characteristic, such as red hair.
The Flavians were an aristocratic clan whose family name was derived from flavus, meaning golden-yellow. The Flaminians were another noble family whose clan name came from flamma, meaning flame, suggesting red hair.
According to Plutarch:
Marcus Porcius Cato had “red hair and grey eyes,”
Lucius Cornelius Sulla, the general and dictator, had “blue-grey eyes and blond hair,”
Gaius Octavius (Augustus), the first Roman emperor, had “bright eyes and yellow hair.”
And so on with others as well.
Recent analysis of an ancient marble bust of the emperor Caligula found particles of the original pigment trapped in the stone. Experts have restored the colors to show that the demented ruler had ruddy skin and red hair.
Romans were a Latin people and were one of eight Italic tribes — Apulii, Bruttii, Lucanians, Sabines, Samnites, Umbrians/Oscians and the Veneti — who migrated into the Italian peninsula around 1000 BC they split from a proto Italoceltic tribe before coming into the peninsula.
Of course, Italy was not vacant. The Etruscans lived to the north of Rome in what is now Tuscany, and there were other darker-complexioned whites living in the peninsula. The Etruscans are likely to have been Carians from Asia Minor.

A short list of emperors :

e947f0a7b9c88cdbb88fad91d5ed108a.png

Of the 18 Emperors from Augustus to Commodus: 9 had blond or red hair; 5 had grey or white hair; 3 had no recorded hair colour, and just 1 (Hadrian), was referred to as dark-haired.

Of the 18 Emperors from Augustus to Commodus: 9 had blue or grey eyes; 2 had "wine-coloured eyes" (whatever that may mean), and 7 had no recorded eye colour.

To resume, Italic Tribes had a quite consistant number of blonds and light eyed people, Local Italian tribes before Italics had light skin and darker hairs, Greeks had less blonds but still had a few.
But I am not saying that the majority of Romans were blonds, just that they had a few and in higher numbers than modern Italy proportions.

Last edited: