Surviving Mars Maps - find your perfect landinglocation

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tyrberg

long time lurker
50 Badges
Aug 10, 2005
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • 500k Club
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Cities in Motion
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
Surviving Mars Maps
Have you, just like me, searched for your perfect landing location?
Now you no longer need to click around Mars within the game to search.
Every landing location is searchable from my just
Every possible landing location is searchable, and it´s much easier to find our perfect landing spots.

Support
This thread runs as the main support place for the site. Post your questions here, or maybe contact me on twitter @avdpos.

To Paradox and Haemimont, if you have any issues or comments - please take contact. You have my mail that is linked to this account.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
This is awesome!

Do you have any plans to make the raw data available so that we can load it into our favorite DB and write advanced queries against it (e.g. using between operators)?

This is awesome!

Do you have any plans to make the raw data available so that we can load it into our favorite DB and write advanced queries against it (e.g. using between operators)?

Just PM which mail you like the data sent to and I mail you the sql-database

Surviving Mars Maps
Have you, just like me, searched for your perfect landing location?
Now you no longer need to click around Mars within the game to search.
Every landing location is searchable from my just released www.survingmarsmaps.com.

Every possible landing location is searchable, and it´s much easier to find our perfect landing spots.

Support
This thread runs as the main support place for the site. Post your questions here, or maybe contact me on twitter @avdpos.

To Paradox and Haemimont, if you have any issues or comments - please take contact. You have my mail that is linked to this account.
Very good program :)
Could you add altitude, for energy bonuses

Very good program :)
Could you add altitude, for energy bonuses

I´m working on it.
The database is made by another user (who had choosen to not be credited).
So I need to adopt the code s/he made to include altitude and temperature.

Don´t expect it very soon - it is some new things for me to learn, but when I have - either by my own work or if somebody hand me the data - I surely will integrate it.

I keep forgetting to PM, but as a drive-by recommendation written between meetings: it would be really cool to see the data published via Github as something portable like CSV; then it'll be available for anyone who wants to work with it. :)

This tool is the greatest thing ever for the game. I just wish I could actually use it. I'm one of people having the Nvidia driver incompatibility.

• 2Like
Reactions:
This tool is the greatest thing ever for the game. I just wish I could actually use it. I'm one of people having the Nvidia driver incompatibility.

Thank you for your kind words!

Reactions:
I keep forgetting to PM, but as a drive-by recommendation written between meetings: it would be really cool to see the data published via Github as something portable like CSV; then it'll be available for anyone who wants to work with it. :)

Good idea!
Send a new message when a CSV is online.

As utterly fantastic as this is, it's going to need to be updated now after Sagan's drop. Many of my old favorites have different terrain now. The update doesn't seem to have changed the resources or threats though.

I did a restart on a Da Vinci map and got a completely different map in Sagan with a different resource distribution. Is there any way to find the ID of the old map and it's equivalent in Sagan? The game crashes if I try to use an old save.

I did a restart on a Da Vinci map and got a completely different map in Sagan with a different resource distribution. Is there any way to find the ID of the old map and it's equivalent in Sagan? The game crashes if I try to use an old save.

As far as i understand the Sagan patch notes from the forum

"Changes to Maps

Due to the changes in concrete deposits, as well as other fixes to the random map generator, all maps have been generated again and will look different than previous versions. Environmental variety of maps has been improved."

all maps look different now, though there is nothing noted that resource distribution changed

but i had the feeling before Sagan already, if i played the same cords on a map and use game rule winter is coming, that resource distribution slightly changed, but i am not 100% sure about it, because in fact the resource distribution and even the map layout has changed with the usage of some mods, i remember that very often, even if i played the map already and use "restart" from ESC menu turned out to be a different map sometimes, with slightly different layout and starting location and resource and anomalies as well, if the starting location changed was the best indicator for me that the "miracle" happend ;)

the only way to fix that was, completely remove all mods and close the game to desktop, restart and start the new game, save to menu and activate mods, reload save

But all of this from DaVinci, have not played Sagan so much yet, but the savegame i tested worked fine so far

Edit:
i tested a bit around, loading old saves (worked fine) and restart maps from ESC menu turned out all tested games totally changed, started completely new from scratch the same cords turned out totally changed, even without mods

looks like my favourite well known maps, the ones i tested, had changed totally, which makes me a bit sad now, i had thought the change will be only slightly, but in fact the map layout change is massive, like there is no canyon no more or a different canyon, stuff like that

So far it looks like the only thing Sagan changed is the terrain type in the maps. Resources and threat levels look the same.

You mean at the 0-4 bars "Select landing site" part of the game? Because the actual map, and resource locations on the map, are completely different.

I have seen references here to including the ALTITUDE of locations, for the impact on wind turbine production.

I am surprised that at this point in the game's history so few people seem to know how this really works.

ALTITUDE of the overall site has little-to-no impact on wind turbine performance.

The site characteristic that improves performance is the RELATIVE ELEVATION, within the playing map.
(Believe me, I did exhaustive empirical testing of this.)
In turn, the likelihood of a great RELATIVE ELEVATION differential seems to be most affected by the TERRAIN TYPE, not so much by the site ALTITUDE on the Mars globe.

Try it.
Pick a site on Olympus Mons, start a game, and before you even land, call up a wind turbine placement "ghost" and try it on several different spots, noting the prospective wind power production boost.
Now, pick a spot in the Valles Marinaris, well below Mars nominal "sea level". Do the same thing.
In some spots in the valley, 3000m below the mean, you can get just as big, or as modest, a boost as you can at +20,000m on the upper slopes of Olympus Mons.

The highest wind-turbine heights that I have found, out of hundreds of database guided tries, are some Steep maps that offer a portion of a plateau at around 101% performance boost. However, the double plateaus like this are very small, and do not seem to correlate with any of the easily accessed site data.
There are a fair number of Rough and Steep maps, however, that have some significant portions offering wind power boosts in the 91-to-95% range. If you find one of those, be happy for yourself, take note of the coords, and raise your sails.
The Mountainous maps offer a couple of good wind turbine heights, but they tend to have LOTS of dead, unplayable grid squares, small clearings, and LOTS of terrain compartments that require early tunneling. The resources tend toward mediocre, the weather is severe, and the oh-so-beneficial Meteor showers are never max. If you want to play a wind powered game I recommend you stick to Steep and Rough maps.

I would give you some favorites but unfortunately I am not currently on that computer.

You mean at the 0-4 bars "Select landing site" part of the game? Because the actual map, and resource locations on the map, are completely different.

I was afraid (and expected) it would happen.

Sadly my time to update the database are way to low. So it will take some time to update the site.
I do my best, but need to prioritise other stuf in life, as my doughters birthday =)

I was afraid (and expected) it would happen.

Sadly my time to update the database are way to low. So it will take some time to update the site.
I do my best, but need to prioritise other stuf in life, as my doughters birthday =)

I hope she has a wonderful birthday!
To clarify, the 0-4 resource levels/threat levels seem to have not changed on map locations, but the terrain type has shifted dramatically on some maps (relatively flat/Rough/Steep/Mountainous.)
I tried about four locations that were listed as 'mountainous' on the map data base, all of them had changed to either 'Steep' or 'Relatively Flat'