The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Skimming the Wikipedia summary, I'm not sure if I can fit it into the universe without making it a cheap Hunger Games ripoff. I'll leave it up in the air for now.
Actually that does remind me, there is a Japanese movie called Battle Royale with a slightly similar premise to Hunger Games and it did come out first. So I’m wondering what that would be like? Also I’m pretty sure it’s more of a genre thing and I don’t think Danganronpa would be Hunger Games ripoff at all since their are plenty of differences (the trials come to mind) but that’s just my take on it.

Catman: The Killing Joke, in which the Jester, attempting to drive Commissioner Glucksburg insane, slaughters Glucksburg’s entire family for no reason (including fan favorite Barbara Glucksburg, also known as Cat-girl) and then kidnaps and tortures the commissioner, physically and psychologically. This one-shot is also known for providing the Jester’s origin story as a tragic figure driven insane by everything in his life going terribly wrong at the same time.
Wait, you’ve actively decided to kill off Cat-girl rather than just having her paralyzed after being shot because that’s not exactly what happened in the original Killing Joke if I recall? Then again a lot of people thought it was up In the air wether or not Batman actually killed Joker at the end of the comic so there’s that. I suppose Barbara could survive the massacre, if not, well rip Catgirl.:( I suppose she could also follow the path of Jason Todd assuming he still exists if she does die because no ones really dead in comics as long as a significant part of the fandom doesn’t want to see them dead.:D

Anyhow, what would the Arkham games be like ITTL? Another question is that considering that the premise of Arkham City actually vaugley reminds me of Escape from New York, how different would Escape from New York and Escape from LA be like here other than the cities they are moved to (Frankfurt and Alexandria)?

Since Sherlock Homes was mentioned in the Catman summary, I’m what it (especially the show) would be like here? Maybe we can have a summary of Sherlock too?

I know you don’t watch Anime but I want to ask about it (since I’m already a weeb anyway.:p) but would Death Note be like here?

I know it’s unlikely to exist here considering that it’s from France, but would replace Les Miserables instead?

I guess that since my train of thought is currently focused on shows, movies, and video games driven on detective work, I should ask what would Ace Attorney series be like here?

What would Super Smash Brothers be like here? Are there any Nientendo franchises or game series that doesn’t exist here that would have a Smash character?

You know I got a good chuckle honestly when I read about one critic criticizing Catman for “Homesexual undertones” and suddenly I thought of a few LGBT ships i’ve seen and suddenly shipping itself came to my mind. So I have to ask what Shipping will be like when we reach the next millennium? Sorry about this question considering how cringy some parts of a Fandom can get.:oops::eek:

Actually that does remind me, there is a Japanese movie called Battle Royale with a slightly similar premise to Hunger Games and it did come out first. So I’m wondering what that would be like? Also I’m pretty sure it’s more of a genre thing and I don’t think Danganronpa would be Hunger Games ripoff at all since their are plenty of differences (the trials come to mind) but that’s just my take on it.
I've actually read part of the manga long ago, back when I was into all things Hunger Games. I think the movie would be more like the manga (rated R, with more gore and profanity). It would also be based on the Chinese education system instead of the Japanese one and incorporate more Chinese culture (like martial arts, traditional folk stories like the Monkey King, chopsticks, and a ridiculous emphasis on getting rich/successful at all costs).

I wasn't trying to say Danganropa was like Hunger Games, it just had a similar premise (kids are forced to kill each other). And if I were going to adapt it in this universe, the only way I could write it would be as a Hunger Games clone.
Wait, you’ve actively decided to kill off Cat-girl rather than just having her paralyzed after being shot because that’s not exactly what happened in the original Killing Joke if I recall? Then again a lot of people thought it was up In the air wether or not Batman actually killed Joker at the end of the comic so there’s that. I suppose Barbara could survive the massacre, if not, well rip Catgirl.:( I suppose she could also follow the path of Jason Todd assuming he still exists if she does die because no ones really dead in comics as long as a significant part of the fandom doesn’t want to see them dead.:D
You're right, that didn't happen in the Killing Joke. But this being comics, she'll probably be back in a few years.
Anyhow, what would the Arkham games be like ITTL? Another question is that considering that the premise of Arkham City actually vaugley reminds me of Escape from New York, how different would Escape from New York and Escape from LA be like here other than the cities they are moved to (Frankfurt and Alexandria)?
Arkham games would be about the same, since they just depend on a mental asylum and the Reich still has those. And Escape from New York and Escape from LA would instead be Escape from Constantinople and Escape from Dubai (with the latter becoming more like Spec Ops: The Line).
Since Sherlock Homes was mentioned in the Catman summary, I’m what it (especially the show) would be like here? Maybe we can have a summary of Sherlock too?
I don't think I can do a summary, because most of Sherlock's stories are fairly separated from each other and aren't serialized like modern TV shows. Most of the stories would be the same, with Sherlock as a brilliant detective and Watson as a disabled veteran of the North Eimerican wars. Moriarty still exists as Sherlock's nemesis who appears for just one story (The Final Problem), and Sherlock still "dies" and is brought back after popular demand. The only major detail I might change is that while Sherlock still legally resides in 221 Baker Street, London, he and Watson frequently travel around the Reich for their cases (and have a secondary residence in Berlin where many of the later stories take place).
I know you don’t watch Anime but I want to ask about it (since I’m already a weeb anyway.:p) but would Death Note be like here?
I actually read part of the Death Note manga a long time ago. I think we can just keep it the same except shifting the setting to Shanghai and the cultural references to Chinese stuff.
I know it’s unlikely to exist here considering that it’s from France, but would replace Les Miserables instead?
It would be Persian instead and revolve around characters trying to survive the aftermath of Iskander Yinal's failed revolution. I think Victor Hugo could still exist, given his name can already be German without any changes.
I guess that since my train of thought is currently focused on shows, movies, and video games driven on detective work, I should ask what would Ace Attorney series be like here?
Before I get to how the actual games would be like, I have to first talk about the Reich's legal system. Ace Attorney is based around common law (used in US and originating in the UK). The Reich's legal system is mostly based on civil law (used by Continental Europe and originating in ancient Rome) with some common law influences as well as Germanic law and Nikephoran (Napoleonic/Siegfriedist) law. In Ace Attorney, you play a defense attorney whose goal is to get your client declared not guilty. This depends on common law, where judges act as impartial referees and lawyers are responsible for presenting their cases. In civil law, judges run most of the trial and present the cases. Yes, I know that in Rico Modell's story the trial was depicted as operating under common law, but that was only one trial ended abruptly by Rico's interference. In an actual Roman trial, defense lawyers, while still important (as I said, there are influences of common law), would take a backseat to the judges, who are responsible for moving the trial forward. So in Ace Attorney, Phoenix Wright wouldn't be as central to the plot. There'd be more emphasis on the judge.
What would Super Smash Brothers be like here? Are there any Nientendo franchises or game series that doesn’t exist here that would have a Smash character?
I think Super Smash Bros. would be similar, as the premise is fairly easy to adapt. Don't know about original franchises or game series though.
You know I got a good chuckle honestly when I read about one critic criticizing Catman for “Homesexual undertones” and suddenly I thought of a few LGBT ships i’ve seen and suddenly shipping itself came to my mind. So I have to ask what Shipping will be like when we reach the next millennium? Sorry about this question considering how cringy some parts of a Fandom can get.:oops::eek:
About as cringy as in real life. It's impossible to have the cringe not exist, and I have no desire to make them even worse.:eek:

Reactions:
Where would Hitlerland be located? In OTL, it’s located in Anaheim, so would it be located in one of the suburbs of Alexandria, Dubai, or Damascus? Just wondering, as it’s never been mentioned.

What would Paradox games be like? For one, there was no Queen Victoria, so the Victoria series would have to be named something else. There was actually an Aztec invasion, so Sunset Invasion either wouldn’t exist or be a DLC about the Aztec invasion, though I imagine that it would be included in the vanilla game.

What would Minecraft be like? You mentioned that Markus Persson was Danish, so I imagine that Mojang would be located in Copenhagen instead of Stockholm.

What would the Reich’s education system be like? Just wondering, as schools haven’t been mentioned that much, aside from a few appearances in the story arc and a mention of all schools in the Reich watching a speech by the Kaiser on the first day of World War III. Also, what would be the Reich’s school holidays?

Where would Hitlerland be located? In OTL, it’s located in Anaheim, so would it be located in one of the suburbs of Alexandria, Dubai, or Damascus? Just wondering, as it’s never been mentioned.
I think it would be somewhere in Alexandria.
What would Paradox games be like? For one, there was no Queen Victoria, so the Victoria series would have to be named something else. There was actually an Aztec invasion, so Sunset Invasion either wouldn’t exist or be a DLC about the Aztec invasion, though I imagine that it would be included in the vanilla game.
Maybe the Victoria series would be named Franz Joseph instead. In CK2, there would be a DLC which disables the Aztec invasion (which is now guaranteed to happen every game), and players would hate it for being anachronistic.
What would Minecraft be like? You mentioned that Markus Persson was Danish, so I imagine that Mojang would be located in Copenhagen instead of Stockholm.
Minecraft would be the same, except Danish now.
What would the Reich’s education system be like? Just wondering, as schools haven’t been mentioned that much, aside from a few appearances in the story arc and a mention of all schools in the Reich watching a speech by the Kaiser on the first day of World War III. Also, what would be the Reich’s school holidays?
The education system is a mix of the American, British, French, and German systems. Like the American system, there are kindergartens (with more German influences), then elementary and middle school followed by high school (middle school might be combined with elementary or high school in some states). Like the British system, schools would be mostly state-funded, and there would also be privately-run independent schools and a government program to help students age 16 or older find apprenticeships and learn skilled trades. Like the French system, all teachers and faculty of the state-funded schools are civil servants working for the Bureau of Education, which sets a standardized curriculum for all schools (directly for the state-funded schools and guidelines for the private schools), and religious instruction is not given and conspicuous religious symbols are not permitted in state-funded schools (religious instruction and symbolism is permitted, within reason, in private schools directly run by a religious institution). Like the German system, kindergarten spans from age 2 to 6, after which children can either skip straight to high school through a privately-run preschool spanning or go through four grades a conventional elementary school (homeschooling is banned). At age 10, students go to two years of middle school, which is more accurately described as an orientation phase to prepare them for high school. Starting at seventh grade, students have five options for high school: a Gymnasium (until twelfth or thirteenth grade), Specialized Secondary School (specializing in a certain field or trade), "Real School" (ends at age 16, where good students may transfer to a Gymnasium for their last two years; the curriculum focuses on technology, home economics, or a foreign language, depending on what each student chooses to specialize in), continuing in middle school with some elements of "real school," or a state-funded comprehensive school (where students are accepted without regard to financial or academic situation and learn more vocational skills). After graduating, students may participate in a government apprenticeship program where the government sets them up as paid employees at a company of their specialty and choosing for two to three years. In order to be admitted to a university, a student must pass the Abitur and then fill out a general application form to the Bureau of Education with a list of the universities they wish to apply to. If they do not have an Abitur certification, a student can optionally take a cognitive functioning exam and aptitude test to prove they can keep up with the university's rigorous curriculum, especially in the field they are applying to. Should a student meet these basic requirements (and any particular requirements the university sets for a given field or in general), the student must be accepted (if there is no more room in the incoming class, the university can either offer a deferred admission for the next semester or ask another university on the student's list to admit them (if they have room, they must accept, otherwise the process repeats until room is found)). Universities are state-subsidized and are not permitted to charge for tuition, but students must generally pay a semester fee of about 60 to 300 marks depending on the school.

Reactions:
Maybe the Victoria series would be named Franz Joseph instead. In CK2, there would be a DLC which disables the Aztec invasion (which is now guaranteed to happen every game), and players would hate it for being anachronistic.
Don't get me wrong, from our perspective that's funny due to the irony of it, but from the perspective of the world it takes place in, I don't see why that DLC would exist. For example, in CK2, the Sunset Invasion was added in an attempt to balance the western portion of the map since they didn't have to deal with the Mongols. Here, there'd not really be a reason to remove the Sunset Invasion, especially if the settings in CK2 which allow you to disable things like the Aztec, Mongol, and Turkic invasions still exist, which would make the DLC even more useless.

If you really want an analogue to Sunset Invasion, I'd recommend having a DLC which adds a Bantu invasion in East Africa, considering they were one of the few groups who didn't get a superpower here.

However, I also think that CK2 would be different from vanilla CK2 for a very good reason; the restoration of Rome. CK2 is very obviously based on the Middle Ages. For us, that is viewed very broadly as the time between the fall of Rome and the beginning of the Renaissance, so from 476 to roughly the early 1500s. Hence, CK2 lasts from 1066 (and later 867 and 769) to 1453. However, the people of this world probably view the Middle Ages as ending with the restoration of Rome by the Hohenzollerns, possibly a bit later with the reunification of Christianity and the cultural renaissance under Saint Wilhelmina. This would leave the end date at either 1105, when Friedrich reunited the empire, or 1192, with the death of Saint Wilhelmina. You may be able to argue that people view the Middle Ages as having continued until, say, the Augustinian Code due to the Mongol and Aztec invasions, but it would be much more likely that a game between CK2 and EUIV would be similar to March of the Eagles or Sengoku, though likely much more successful. Now, obviously, the game wouldn't last from 1066-1192, as that's just over a hundred years. However, CK2 could start earlier initially; 867 could be the base start date instead of 1066, with The Old Gods just expanding on paganism and the Pagan Resurgence. From there, 769 would be the first timeline expansion, and that could be followed by a 632 start date (immediately after the death of Muhammad), which people would criticize for being a bit too far back but generally enjoy it due to a few unique religions and good storylines (i.e. that of Charlemagne in real CK2, but likely dealing with the early Islamic jihads). So, CK2 here would be from 632-1192, which would be 560 years compared to real CK2's 684 years.

There's also EUIV to consider. Now, don't get me wrong, the Augustinian Code is very important, but I don't think it's important enough to be considered the start date of EUIV. I personally think that it could begin earlier than in vanilla EUIV with the Thirteenth Century Crisis. Granted, it would also probably need more character development a la CK2, but EUIV would be able to handle the scenario fairly well; for one, since it would be set on a world map, the Aztecs could be represented properly as a conquering empire as opposed to a horde like the Mongols. In addition, several people would probably want to play during this era on a world map due to the rising states in the Eimericas and what is going on in East Asia with the Mongol invasions and the flight of the Song and Jin. Furthermore, various mechanics would suit this time period as opposed to in OTL; the Aztecs exploring Europe would be *somewhat* similar to Europeans exploring the New World, and could make use of terra incognita, while the Song and Jin would be able to use colonization mechanics so that their initial rise could be depicted. This was also the time when several of the modern states of the world (Rome, India, Abyssinia, Persia, etc.) started to come into being, and it could be argued that the idea of the nation state was starting to come into being. Finally, the world at this point was already starting to become more interconnected; Aztec troops would be simultaneously fighting against Rome and Scandinavia as they would be against the Inca and their supporters, the Chinese Jin, who were exiled from Asia due to the Mongol invasions. So EUIV could probably be from 1236, when first contact was made between the Aztecs and Rome, to 1836, when the Finland and Commonwealth Wars mostly ended, making it almost exactly 600 years compared to real EUIV's 377 years.

The other games I think would mostly be the same; Franz Joseph (Victoria) would probably last from 1836-1936, while Hearts of Iron would last throughout the Second Weltkrieg. East vs. West would probably be likely to exist as a Hearts of Iron spinoff (like EU: Rome) covering the Cold War but focusing on the Third Weltkrieg. I don't see Stellaris changing much. March of the Eagles could be replaced by something like the Maximist Wars or possibly Malcolm Bethune's coup, while I'm pretty sure the Sengoku Jidai still occurred, so Sengoku would be similar.
Minecraft would be the same, except Danish now.
Funnily enough I was watching a video the other day about the downfall of Minecraft. Perhaps for whatever reason the Minecraft craze (i.e. when almost every major YouTuber seemed to be a Minecraft let's-player) continues a bit longer? I have to say, I have fond memories of the game, but I just lost interest after a while. A good POD (point of divergence) could be Mojang never selling Minecraft to whatever the equivalent of Microsoft is here.

Don't get me wrong, from our perspective that's funny due to the irony of it, but from the perspective of the world it takes place in, I don't see why that DLC would exist. For example, in CK2, the Sunset Invasion was added in an attempt to balance the western portion of the map since they didn't have to deal with the Mongols. Here, there'd not really be a reason to remove the Sunset Invasion, especially if the settings in CK2 which allow you to disable things like the Aztec, Mongol, and Turkic invasions still exist, which would make the DLC even more useless.
If you really want an analogue to Sunset Invasion, I'd recommend having a DLC which adds a Bantu invasion in East Africa, considering they were one of the few groups who didn't get a superpower here.
Yeah, now that you bring that up, I guess removing the Sunset Invasion in a DLC wouldn't work out, as the Sunset Invasion would probably be a free feature like the Mongols and removing it would make players mad. I was thinking of adding an invasion for West Africa, but your suggestion of a Bantu invasion would work much better. I'm also thinking of another Sunset Invasion-style DLC adding a Chinese invasion in India (not just the Western Protectorate in the Jade Dragon DLC, but an actual invasion guaranteed to happen after the Mongols spawn (with the explanation that after the Mongols conquered China, the Song fled into Southeast Asia and India to set up Chinese dynasties there)).
However, I also think that CK2 would be different from vanilla CK2 for a very good reason; the restoration of Rome. CK2 is very obviously based on the Middle Ages. For us, that is viewed very broadly as the time between the fall of Rome and the beginning of the Renaissance, so from 476 to roughly the early 1500s. Hence, CK2 lasts from 1066 (and later 867 and 769) to 1453. However, the people of this world probably view the Middle Ages as ending with the restoration of Rome by the Hohenzollerns, possibly a bit later with the reunification of Christianity and the cultural renaissance under Saint Wilhelmina. This would leave the end date at either 1105, when Friedrich reunited the empire, or 1192, with the death of Saint Wilhelmina. You may be able to argue that people view the Middle Ages as having continued until, say, the Augustinian Code due to the Mongol and Aztec invasions, but it would be much more likely that a game between CK2 and EUIV would be similar to March of the Eagles or Sengoku, though likely much more successful. Now, obviously, the game wouldn't last from 1066-1192, as that's just over a hundred years. However, CK2 could start earlier initially; 867 could be the base start date instead of 1066, with The Old Gods just expanding on paganism and the Pagan Resurgence. From there, 769 would be the first timeline expansion, and that could be followed by a 632 start date (immediately after the death of Muhammad), which people would criticize for being a bit too far back but generally enjoy it due to a few unique religions and good storylines (i.e. that of Charlemagne in real CK2, but likely dealing with the early Islamic jihads). So, CK2 here would be from 632-1192, which would be 560 years compared to real CK2's 684 years.
That would be a great idea. Anything after Saint Wilhelmina mended the Schism wouldn't be that fun, because by then the Reich would be an unstoppable blob barely held back by the game mechanics. The game would start around 800, instead of 867, because 800 was when Charlemagne was crowned the first Holy Roman Emperor. Then there'd be events to simulate the Carolingian Renaissance and then collapse of the empire, the rise of the pagan faiths, and the emergence of Friedrich the Great (you can either try to stop him and restore the Reich under your family's rule, upon which he spawns a ridiculously overpowered doom stack, or you can help him rise to power and hopefully get your family a place in his court). The Old Gods would extend the start date back to October 10, 732, when the Battle of Tours took place and the Umayyad Caliphate was at its peak. It would expand on the Old Gods and rework the mechanics for crusades (especially pagan ones) and pagan reformations, making them more likely to happen in the eleventh century.

The "Charlemagne" DLC would instead be called "Heraclius" and start in 610 with Heraclius declaring himself Emperor and overthrowing his predecessor. Special events would railroad the Byzantines into either a war with Persia (most of the time) or expansion in Europe and North Africa (rarely). Events would simulate the rise of Islam, but Muhammad would not be playable (he wouldn't even be represented by an in-game character, only mentioned briefly in passing and rarely by name). There'd also be remnant Hellenic and Egyptian pagans as well as Indo-Greek communities in Central Asia. Other events would simulate Slavic and Germanic migrations into Europe. While players would initially complain about this setting (because either it goes way back before the Middle Ages or its depiction of Islam is inaccurate), there would be a lot of fun challenges and starts for this bookmark. One could make the early Islamic expansions even more successful, or they could defend Sassanid Persia against the Arabs and keep Zoroastrianism the dominant tradition in Central Asia. One could try to restore Hellenic or Egyptian paganism to their former glories. One could take over France as Slavic nomads. One could embrace Iconoclasm or stop the Catholic-Orthodox schism from even beginning. And of course, one could continue Justinian's conquests and restore the Roman Empire to its full power.

This CK2 would end in 1236, with the end of the Three Wilhelm's Period and the height of the Thirteenth Century Crisis. At this point, the order established by the conquests of Saint Wilhelmina and her allies has endured for decades and is starting to crumble. The Mongols have already swept through Saray. The Chinese have invaded India and the Bantus have invaded Abyssinia (if the Sunrise Invasion DLC is active). And there are rumors of a large fleet of unknown ships off the coast of Caledonia. Which leads straight into EU4.
There's also EUIV to consider. Now, don't get me wrong, the Augustinian Code is very important, but I don't think it's important enough to be considered the start date of EUIV. I personally think that it could begin earlier than in vanilla EUIV with the Thirteenth Century Crisis. Granted, it would also probably need more character development a la CK2, but EUIV would be able to handle the scenario fairly well; for one, since it would be set on a world map, the Aztecs could be represented properly as a conquering empire as opposed to a horde like the Mongols. In addition, several people would probably want to play during this era on a world map due to the rising states in the Eimericas and what is going on in East Asia with the Mongol invasions and the flight of the Song and Jin. Furthermore, various mechanics would suit this time period as opposed to in OTL; the Aztecs exploring Europe would be *somewhat* similar to Europeans exploring the New World, and could make use of terra incognita, while the Song and Jin would be able to use colonization mechanics so that their initial rise could be depicted. This was also the time when several of the modern states of the world (Rome, India, Abyssinia, Persia, etc.) started to come into being, and it could be argued that the idea of the nation state was starting to come into being. Finally, the world at this point was already starting to become more interconnected; Aztec troops would be simultaneously fighting against Rome and Scandinavia as they would be against the Inca and their supporters, the Chinese Jin, who were exiled from Asia due to the Mongol invasions. So EUIV could probably be from 1236, when first contact was made between the Aztecs and Rome, to 1836, when the Finland and Commonwealth Wars mostly ended, making it almost exactly 600 years compared to real EUIV's 377 years.
EU4 would be more railroaded and character-driven than the real game (while the game still revolves around nations, characters have more traits, personalities, and interactions). In the base game, if you start as the Reich, there will be a timed disaster beginning immediately. This disaster forces you to negotiate with the Mexica and hopefully avoid an invasion. However, it is really hard to avoid this disaster (the AI will almost certainly demand land or too much manpower/ducats/mana for the early game player to afford, even for the Reich), which means an invasion is almost certainly going to happen. I'll assume the AI is still bad at naval combat, so for the invasion, an event will randomly spawn the Mexica doomstacks somewhere on the Reich's Atlantic coast (weighted towards Hibernia and Caledonia). Once the invasion begins, Scandinavia will receive its own invasion disaster which the AI will almost certainly fail, and Mexica doomstacks will spawn in Iceland and Norway. There is a small chance the Scandinavians will ally with the Mexica and become their vassal. The Mexica will use a special invasion CB where warscore will be gained by winning battles and taking territory. Also, every province taken by the Mexica will automatically be ceded to them and cored after sixty days if the owner doesn't take it back; they can then convert that province to their culture and religion by sending a colonist. The Mexica also start with a tech level slightly higher than the Reich's (the highest in Eurasia, tied with India), especially in shipbuilding technology, and are given several combat/discipline/morale boosts (although the Reich gets a boost for its cavalry). It is impossible to negotiate with or sign a peace with the Mexica (who are also initially immune to war exhaustion as a result). However, the Mexica aren't unstoppable. Once this invasion begins, after several years the Jin (who have researched guns but not much else) and Tawantinsuyuans will sign an alliance and declare war on the Mexica. Their combat/discipline/morale modifiers wear off after ten years and are replaced by a manpower malus if they haven't already taken London, Dublin, Paris, and Edinburgh.

The rest of the world would be just as interesting. In North Eimerica, players can choose among over a dozen native states or the Jin to assert hegemony over the continent (a fan favorite is the early Meskwaki, and one big challenge is inheriting all of the continent without firing a single shot). In Africa, the Malians and Abyssinians can expand southwards; the former can colonize South Eimerica before the Reich, and the latter can expand down the east African coast. If the Sunrise Invasion DLC is active, a large Bantu Confederation (a tribal federation with decisions to reform into a Swiss-style constitutional republic) will spawn in central, eastern, and southern Africa as a counterweight to Roman and Indian colonial ambitions. In Central Asia, the Ghaznavids and Persians are locked in a medieval arms race and will soon go to war, although this will certainly invite the Mongols to invade, and in the late 14th century the Timurids would rise up and sweep through Central Asia, if a local player isn't careful enough. The Timurids will get missions to conquer the Ghaznavids and Persians (duh) and then Mesopotamia, Yavdi, and India. If the Mongols conquer the Middle East, they can then go after Russia and India, followed by the Reich, using similar CBs as the Mexica. Syncretic cultures can appear as a result of these conquests (and the Mexica ones), and this is the main way Yavdi can spawn. Lithuania, Scandinavia, and Russia would get CBs to constantly fight each other. After Genghis Khan's death, the Mongol Empire would first split into the Golden Horde, Ilkhanate, and Yuan Dynasty and then into smaller khanates through unavoidable disasters (a player can avoid them by conquering Japan and Java). The Yuan get a special disaster to spawn a Ming rebellion in the south if the Tran reach a certain size and development (the Tran get missions and events to build up their military and economy). If the Sunrise Invasion DLC is active and the Song invaded India, they will spawn with most of Southeast Asia and parts of southern China under their control as well as whatever parts of India they conquered (although they won't spawn in Oceania then). In the vanilla game, the Song will spawn as a one province minor in eastern Australia, surrounded by Aborigine tribes. Srivijaya would be represented as a merchant republic like Genoa and the Hanseatic League with the same mechanics (and also a weight towards taking colonization ideas). In South Eimerica, Tawantinsuyu starts off small, but they are also weighted towards taking colonization ideas. As for the Reich, once it defeats the Mexica, it then gets a special Mandate of Heaven-like mechanic to simulate the reforms that lead up to the Augustinian Code. Then there are mechanics to simulate the Anarchy and the Fifty Years' War, the Reign of Women (higher than average female heir chance starting in the 17th century), and the Pragmatic Sanction (if the player still has a Kaiserin in the 1790s). The game would end in 1836.

There's probably more that I missed because right now the scope is on the whole game. Ask me about specific mechanics or countries and I think I can answer you better.
The other games I think would mostly be the same; Franz Joseph (Victoria) would probably last from 1836-1936, while Hearts of Iron would last throughout the Second Weltkrieg. East vs. West would probably be likely to exist as a Hearts of Iron spinoff (like EU: Rome) covering the Cold War but focusing on the Third Weltkrieg. I don't see Stellaris changing much. March of the Eagles could be replaced by something like the Maximist Wars or possibly Malcolm Bethune's coup, while I'm pretty sure the Sengoku Jidai still occurred, so Sengoku would be similar.
Franz Joseph would last from 1836 to 1936, and there would actually be characters (more like EU4 characters than CK2 ones) and dynamic political parties. More emphasis would be placed on economics and diplomacy (the sphere of influence system would be made much better than "sphere them to get resources, spam the influence options to keep everybody else out every so often"). Like Victoria 1, the AI would actually care about supply lines and a consistent front, and over the course of the game combat tactics would shift from EU4-style engagements to trench warfare. There would also be espionage to represent China's covert actions during the First World War. Hearts of Iron would have a bigger focus on internal politics and the war economy as well as on combat, since everybody is already a big blob. Resistance cells would be more important, and major characters would not only be represented in the politics screen but also on the map by counters, where they can be captured or killed by the enemy. East vs. West would initially be made as a HOI3 mod (in the same way Darkest Hour was once a HOI2 mod) and then spun off into its own game. It would focus on the Cold War, with a big focus on espionage. Rather than focusing on countries, the player now plays as a political movement within a country. The goal is for the movement to come to power in that country and then take out the opposing movement, both in the country and abroad. POPs are represented as in Victoria. Espionage is even more important here, as blobbing is extremely discouraged. Sengoku would be the same, only towards the end of the game daimyo might start converting to Christianity and the Manchus, Koreans, and Ming would start invading. Daimyo can also convert to Christianity in exchange for military support from the Reich. March of the Eagles would focus on the Maximist Wars, with a spinoff game centering on the Anarchy of Malcolm Bethune. Stellaris can remain the same.
Funnily enough I was watching a video the other day about the downfall of Minecraft. Perhaps for whatever reason the Minecraft craze (i.e. when almost every major YouTuber seemed to be a Minecraft let's-player) continues a bit longer? I have to say, I have fond memories of the game, but I just lost interest after a while. A good POD (point of divergence) could be Mojang never selling Minecraft to whatever the equivalent of Microsoft is here.
Wait, Minecraft had a "downfall"? I know friends who still play Minecraft, and my cousin wants to get into it when she gets older. I don't really know, because I also lost interest a few years ago, when I started college and just put it aside, along with the Minecraft Youtube channels I used to watch. I do have fond memories of building several large cities in the overworld, a full village in the Nether, a military base in the End, and even an underwater city (all of which I also remember blowing up with hundreds of blocks of TNT fired by redstone-powered cannons:D). I guess since I left so long ago I might have missed the "downfall." I hardly recognize the game now (they apparently added dual wielding or something?), but it still feels popular among both children and teenagers. I don't know how the sale of Minecraft to Microsoft affected things, so I can't really comment on how not making the sale would change the game. On the other hand, I do know what happened when Microsoft bought Halo, so that won't happen.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Takwin, Part 1

Al-Jazeera Cemetery, Leopoldstadt, Vienna – July 9, 1996, 10:00 AM

Leaves and wind rustled around the headstones as people dressed in black gathered around a casket in the ground, a imam reciting an Islamic prayer out loud. The older men wore beards and flowing robes. Jacob Iqbal and his daughter, Arial, looked down at the casket and then at the headstone, which read Isaac Salman, the name of Arial’s fiancé. As men started burying the casket, Arial stepped back, not wanting to imagined what happened to Isaac.

Grocery Store – July 8, 1996

Three teenagers, their heads closely shaved and their shirts bearing Angeloi symbolism, kicked and punched Isaac, who staggered back. The leading skinhead, Thaddeus Arndt, motioned to a door in the back.

“Get it,” he said, “It’s in the back.”

One of his friends stepped over Isaac’s prone body and walked to the back.

“Come on!” Thaddeus said.

The other boy ran after the second boy. Thaddeus turned back to Isaac and drew a gun. Isaac simply looked up at him.

“Why are you doing this?” he asked.

Thaddeus only answered with two shots to the head and three to the chest.

“Muslim swine,” he spat.

Al-Jazeera Cemetery – July 9, 1996, 9:00 AM

Arial inhaled quickly and realized she was still at the funeral. Her father leaned to her ear.

“It's alright,” Jacob said, “You don't have to do this.”

“No, I want to,” Arial said.

She walked forward and took a clump of dirt. Jacob put a hand on her wrist.

“Come,” he said.

The dirt fell from her hand into the grave. She picked up two more handfuls of soil and poured them into the grave.

"We created you from it, and return you into it, and from it we will raise you a second time," she recited.

They walked away, and she looked back one more time. Thunder rumbled in the distance.

10:00 PM

A thunderstorm raged in the cemetery. Lightning flashed, illuminating a figure crouching, forming a body out of mud on the ground. The figure got up and walked away, while the body-shaped mud on the ground started contracting and expanding, as if it was breathing.

X-Division, Constantinople – July 10, 1996, 9:00 AM

Anders handed Isaac’s driver’s license to Angela.

“His name was Isaac Salman,” Angela said, “He lived in Leopoldstadt, Vienna, home to a large mostly assimilated Muslim community that has been there since the early 17th century.”

“It's an area also known for its long history of racial tensions and hate crimes,” Anders said, “The place was named in honor of Viceroy Leopold von Habsburg, who during the Fifty Years’ War destroyed the Muslim community and expelled the survivors to the Middle East, this after his father did the same to the Jewish community. Most of the mosques were destroyed by the Angeloi during World War II, and the surviving ones were then destroyed by the Soviets during the occupation. After the war, there was a spike in hate crimes committed by neo-Angeloi and equalist militias…”

“And Isaac Salman is their latest victim,” Angela said, “He was murdered two days ago in the grocery market that he owned. Severely beaten and shot five times at point blank range. The police ruled out robbery because the only thing that was missing was a video tape from the surveillance camera. The police found it early this morning.”

She put a tape into the VCR and played it, pointing out Thaddeus and his friends.

“They found it in the VCR of a 16 year old named Thaddeus Arndt,” Angela said, “That's him on the upper right.”

“Has he been arrested?” Anders said.

“No,” Angela said, “They found him strangled to death while watching the tape.”

“Very Old Testament,” Anders said.

“Yeah, but with a new twist,” Angela said, “The Leopoldstadt detectives contacted the Athanatoi Civil Rights branch with an interesting set of fingerprints that they pulled off of the boy's body.”

“Interesting how?” Anders said.

“They belonged to Isaac Salman,” Angela said.

“Risen from the grave to avenge his own death?” Anders said.

“Some people might assume that,” Angela said, “It's probably what whoever actually did this would like us to think.”

“But you have your own idea,” Anders said.

“I think this is a crime of hatred like the crime that spawned it,” Angela said, “A hatred that goes back two thousand years but masquerading as something else here. A callow attempt at murderous retribution disguised as spectral justice.”

“A resurrection hoax,” Anders said.

“And not a very good one,” Angela said.

“Yes, since spectral figures are not often known to leave fingerprints,” Anders said, “Casper never did.”

“Somehow, the killer got a hold of Isaac Salman’s fingerprints, and they’ve just asked us to prove how,” Angela said.

“Angie, are you sure you want to do this?” Anders said. “I mean, it’s Vienna.”

“Anders, that happened twelve years ago,” Angela said, “And I’m dying. Might as well confront my last fears.”

Iqbal residence, Leopoldstadt, Vienna – 3:00 PM

Angela and Anders walked up to the door. Angela knocked on it, and Jacob answered. He simply looked at the two agents.

“Excuse me, sir,” Angela said, holding up her badge, “We’re with the Athanatoi. We’d like to speak with Arial Salman. Is she home?”

“I'm Arial's father, Jacob Iqbal,” Jacob said, “Why are you bothering her again? She's already spoken with the police.”

Arial appeared from behind. “It’s okay, let them in.”

Angela and Anders entered. There were several men standing in the living room. Arial led them to a study.

“What would you like to discuss?” she asked.

Anders handed her a letter, a Consent for Exhumation.

“This is why you are here?” Jacob demanded. “This is what you come to ask? Here, in this house of mourning?”

“What is this?” Arial asked.

“We would like your permission to reopen Isaac's grave,” Angela said.

“No!” Jacob shouted. “The answer's NO!”

“Why does this have to be done?” Arial said.

“We're looking for evidence in the murder of this young man,” Angela said, handing her Thaddeus’s mugshot, “His name is Thaddeus Arndt. He's one of three suspects in the murder of your husband. We believe it was an act of retaliation and that the other two suspects are targets.”

“He's just a boy,” Arial said.

“He's an animal,” Jacob said, “A monster, like the others animals that killed Isaac. Whose grave you're now asking us to desecrate so you can now protect them.”

“Papa, please,” Arial said.

“Where were you when Isaac needed your protection?” Jacob continued. “When we called the police, they said we were paranoid, that there was nothing to worry about. They always say that when someone threatens the Muslims.”

“So there was a specific threat of violence?” Anders said.

“The threat is always there,” Jacob said, “Just this morning, this is what I found under our door.”

He handed Anders a pamphlet. It read “How AIDS was created by the Muslim” with a caricature of a Muslim sultan.

“And now you come here not to help us, but to ask our help so you can impose justice to the only man who has taken justice into his own hands, like the Valkyrie did,” Jacob said.

“We would be happy not to disturb the grave site if you can tell us who that man is,” Anders said.

“Even if I knew, why would I tell you?” Jacob said.

“Because this is a homicide investigation, sir, and you are required by law to assist us,” Angela said.

“I know what the law is,” Jacob said.

“Sir, I'm afraid even without your consent, we can get a court order to exhume Isaac's grave,” Angela said.

“Do what you feel is necessary,” Arial said, “But leave us alone. Let us mourn in peace.”

Angela and Anders got back in their car and put on their seatbelts. Angela started the car.

“No, I’m not fantasizing about driving to UN Island, in case you’re wondering,” Angela said, “More seriously, I'm afraid he knows who killed Thaddeus Arndt, Anders, and he doesn't want us disturbing Isaac Salman’s grave because he knows what we'll find.”

“Maybe...” Anders said, taking out the Islamophobic pamphlet, “But it's hard to fault his attitude when you see something like that. Anybody delivering justice to a people who have known that kind of persecution and hatred, why wouldn't they protect him? I mean, the Director, back when she was the Valkyrie, was technically a vigilante.”

“Justice or revenge?” Angela said.

“I'm not saying those kids deserve full prosecution under the law, but the hate mongering goes both ways,” Anders said.

“Yes, but the right to free expression doesn't include hate speech, let alone murder,” Angela said.

“I bet whoever published that knows the boys who murdered Isaac Salman,” Anders said, “They might have a guess at who killed Thaddeus Arndt, too.”

Bjunes Copy Shop – 3:15 PM

“Oh, sure I knew him,” Bjunes said, looking at Isaac’s portrait, “He's the man who owned the store right across the street. But I'd be lying to say I was surprised it happened.”

“Why is that?” Anders said.

“You know how they are,” Bjunes said, “Always trying to find ways to make money off honest folks who work for a living, maybe even lead them astray from Christ.”

Angela did a double take. Did that man just say what he said? It took a lot of effort not to immediately punch him.

“Can you think of anyone who held a grudge?” Anders said.

“I can't think of anyone who didn't,” Bjunes said.

“Did you?” Anders said.

“Why?” Bjunes said, laughing uncomfortably, “I'm not under any kind of suspicion, am I?”

Angela handed him two mugshots. “No, not directly, but these young men are and we have reason to believe that you know them. Their names are Dietrich Bahn and Cordemann Marks.”

“Oh, I'm sorry,” Bjunes said, “I'm not familiar with them.”

Anders showed him the pamphlet. “Are you familiar with this? We think those kids are familiar with it, enough to incite them to the murder of Isaac Salman.”

Bjunes' smile faded. He glared at Anders.

“You work for them too, don't you?” he said.

“Who?” Anders said. “Sentinel?”

“You know who, you look like you might be one yourself,” Bjune said, “No, you’re not brown enough. I think you’re a Jew.”

Anders chuckled nervously, but Angela was very close to losing it.

“We work for the Athanatoi, sir,” Angela said.

“And who does the Athanatoi work for?” Bjunes said. “You call me paranoid because that's exactly what they want you to do. But there's one thing you can't call me, and that's a jihadist Zionist collaborator.”

“You take a long look at these photos,” Angela said, “It may be your last chance to save their lives. One of their accomplices, a man named Thaddeus Arndt, was found murdered recently.”

“Why are you telling me this?” Bjunes said.

“You haven't heard the rumors?” Angela said. “I’m sure your, um, crusader freedom fighters know all about it.”

“What rumors?” Bjunes said.

“That Salman is back from the dead?” Angela said. “That he's risen from his grave?”

“What kind of Muslim trick is this?” Bjunes said.

“Muslims consider Jesus a Muslim, you know,” Anders said, “And Jesus was born Jewish. Though they’re split about his resurrection and all that.”

“We're just relaying the evidence, sir,” Angela said, turning to the door, “You can draw your own conclusions. But I'm sure you wouldn't want to be endangering these young men's lives.”

“Well, as-salamu alaykum, then,” Anders said, following Angela outside.

As soon as the door closed, Bjunes ran into the back room and looked around.

“Dietrich?” he said. “Cordemann?”

The room was empty.

Al-Jazeera Cemetery – 9:00 PM

Dietrich and Cordemann jammed their shovels into the dirt and began digging up Isaac’s grave.

“Are you sure about this?” Cordemann said.

“I heard them, man,” Dietrich said, “I'm not waiting around to find out if it's true. The terrorists know, we have to shut it down.”

They reached the coffin, and Dietrich tried prying it open. He cursed.

“What’s wrong?” Cordemann said.

“It’s nailed shut,” Dietrich said.

“I’ve got tools in the trunk,” Cordemann said, climbing out.

He went to his car and opened the trunk, looking around. Hearing someone approaching, he turned around and saw a dark figure approaching him.

Not bothering to wait for his friend, Dietrich hit the coffin with his shovel, splintering the lid. He knelt down and pulled away the boards by hand, revealing Isaac’s face. His hand quickly flew to his face. It reeked.

“I got it open, man,” Dietrich said, “Get down here.”

“Hey Cordemann, check it out,” Dietrich said.

“Cordemann?” Dietrich said, getting out of the pit, “Don't mess with me.”

He noticed Cordemann’s body face down in the dirt pile.

10:00 PM

Angela put on her latex gloves and opened Cordemann’s body bag, rubbing the choke marks on his neck. She stepped back and let the coroner’s assistants take the body away. She walked up to Anders, crouched by the grave.

“Ligature marks on the victim's neck are consistent with the vigilante's MO,” she said, “Forensics come up with anything?”

“Yeah, second set of footprints, but the mud is too soft to take a mold,” Anders said.

“I guess Cordemann was here with Dietrich Banh,” Angela said.

“Looking for what?” Anders said.

“Maybe they came to desecrate the corpse as retribution for Thaddeus Arndt’s death,” Angela said.

“That seems kind of redundant, doesn't it?” Anders said, crouching to the coffin. “Messing up somebody you already killed? I think they came here because they were afraid. Afraid that man they hated enough to kill wasn't really dead.”

He pointed to tattooing on Isaac’s hands.

“Look, there goes your theory of how Isaac's fingerprints got onto the victim's body,” Anders said, “What's that look like to you?”

“Maybe it's postmortem lividity or tattooing,” Angela said, “It's hard to tell with this stage of decomposition.”

Anders reached down by the corpse’s head and pulled out a small book.

“What’s that?” Angela said. “A little bedtime reading?”

The book burst into flames, and Anders dropped it. He quickly took out his phone.

“I’m calling the Inquisition,” he said.

Bjunes’ store – July 11, 1996, 7:00 AM

Bjunes walked along the street and entered his store. Dietrich sat on a chair inside. He was obviously angry.

“You owe me for two weeks,” he said.

“Where have you been?” Bjunes said. “Is it true? You and your friends killed the Muslim?”

“Just give me my money,” Dietrich said.

“What the hell were you thinking?” Bjunes said. “I never told you to kill anyone. I never said to do that.”

“No?” Dietrich said. “What did you expect me to do? Hide back here like you? Licking envelopes in the dark, calling them names?”

“We're working to spread the truth,” Bjunes said.

“The truth?” Dietrich said. “Man, you're as pathetic as they are.”

“I am exposing their lies,” Bjunes said.

“Those are just words,” Dietrich said, “You think they killed my friends with just words?”

“What?” Bjunes said.

“That's right, Cordemann’s dead, too,” Dietrich said, “Now I'd like my money.”

Inquisition Regional Office, Landstrasse

Angela and Anders followed Dieter and Munster through the winding halls of the Inquisition office building and into a library.

“Thanks for helping us out,” Anders said.

“Sure thing,” Munster said.

“Nice offices you have,” Angela said, “Certainly better than ours.”

“Yours were finished when, 1975?” Dieter said. “We lost the old offices in ’41. We didn’t finish this one until just two years ago.”

“Alright, then, nice history lesson,” Anders said, taking out the burnt book, “Can you tell us what this is?”

Munster took the book and looked at the symbol on the cover.

“It's called the Kitab al-Ahjar, the Book of Stones,” he said, “Written by a Muslim alchemist, Jabir ibn Hayyar, who lived in the eighth century.”

“Is it ever buried with the dead?” Angela asked.

“No,” Dieter said, “In observance with Muslim traditions, the corpse is usually buried only in its funeral shroud. And this isn’t really a religious text. Jabir was among several alchemists of his time who believed in the idea of takwin, or the creation of synthetic life.”

“Have they ever been known to spontaneously combust?” Anders said.

Munster chuckled. “No. It's not even a book on mysticism, let alone mysticism itself.”

“Is it printed on any special paper or any special ink?” Anders said.

“No, it's just a book,” Dieter said, flipping through it, “Leather and paper. I suspect somebody might be trying to play a trick on you.”

“There may be a possibility moisture leaked its way into the coffin, into the binding and pages of the book,” Angela said, “If the ground water was contaminated with arsenic or arson gas, and there could be broken pipes left over from the war, it could have created a combustible mixture.”

“Is there anything that distinguishes the particular Kitab al-Ahjar from any other such books?” Anders said.

“There's a name imprinted or stamped on to the leather,” Munster said, “An Arabic surname. Iqbal. Jacob Iqbal.”

Angela looked at Anders. Anders nodded.

Iqbal residence, Leopoldstadt

Arial opened the door again.

“Why do you want to see him?” she said.

“There's been another murder,” Angela said, “Another suspect in your husband's death has been found dead last night.”

“Where was this?” Arial said.

“Next to your husband's grave,” Anders said.

“How does this concern my father?” Arial said.

“Yesterday he expressed strong feelings towards this latest victim,” Angela said.

“Those were just angry words,” Arial said.

“And we found evidence placing him at the crime scene,” Angela said, “This is escalating into something else, Arial. Something that has to stop.”

“My marriage to Isaac,” Arial said, “I you have to understand how much it would have meant to my father.”

“What do you mean, would have meant?” Anders said.

“We got our marriage license a few weeks ago, but the wedding wasn't until today,” Arial said.

“I'm sorry,” Angela said.

“I'd like to show you something,” Arial said.

She took out an elaborate ring and handed it to Angela.

“It's a communal wedding ring made in a village outside Frankfurt,” Arial said, “My father was an apprentice to the man who designed it.”

“It's beautiful,” Angela said.

“Uh huh,” Arial said, “Every woman who got married in the mosque wore this ring as a symbol that she was a Kaiserin, her husband a Kaiser. And a home...they made a palace... not only on their wedding day, but for the rest of their lives together.”

She sighed with sadness. “But most of those lives ended in one day in the spring of 1943. Nine thousand Muslims were massacred at a camp outside the city after digging their own graves.”

“But your father survived,” Angela said.

“He was ten years old,” Arial said, “He had small fingers to make bullets at a munitions factory in the camp, until the Valkyrie freed him and the survivors, including Aliya Hussein.”

“And through all this, he hid the ring?” Angela said.

“Even after the war he hid it, even from my mother,” Arial said.

“Why?” Angela said.

“Because to him, it was a dead relic from a forgotten place,” Arial said, “Until the day that I told him I was getting married, and for the first time in fifty years, he took out this ring. He said it was like his village was born again here in Vienna. He knew how much I loved Isaac.”

“Arial, tell us where your father is,” Angela said.

“I know my father,” Arial said, “He would never kill anyone.”

“What if you're wrong?” Angela said.

Vienna Islamic Center – 9:00 AM

Men chanted prayers in Arabic as Angela and Anders entered and looked around.

“Who are you?” one man said.

Angela took out her badge. “We're with the Athanatoi. We're looking for Jacob Iqbal.”

The man pointed to Jacob kneeling with the other men, facing the imam. Jacob noticed them and walked away through an open door. Angela quickly walked after him, entering a dark hallway where she lost sight of Jacob. She looked into the other rooms and turned on the lights. Her eyes wandered up, and she caught her breath.

“Anders, come here,” she said.

Anders walked up to her, and she pointed at a body hanging from the rafters. It was Dietrich Banh’s body. Suddenly, someone body slammed Anders. Angela turned and saw Anders lying on the ground, groaning, while a figure disappeared through the door. She heard footsteps scuffling behind her, and she fired a shot behind her, narrowing missing Jacob’s head.

“Don’t move!” she shouted. “Imperial agent!”

Jacob reluctantly raised his hands in the air, and Angela handcuffed him.

“Herr Iqbal, we’re placing you under arrest,” Angela said.

She led him out of the room.

Vienna Police Department, Leopoldstadt precinct holding area – 2:00 PM

Angela walked down the hallway, looking at a file. Arial ran up to her.

“Where is he?” she asked. “Where's my father?”

“We've arrested him, Arial, under suspicion of murder,” Angela said.

“I don't believe you,” Arial said, “It can't be him. Did he tell you he killed this person?”

“I think that's the direction it's going,” Angela said, “Agent Humboldt is in with him now.”

“I need to see him,” Arial said.

“Arial, I think you'd better get him an lawyer, because he's refusing legal representation,” Angela said.

“I need to see him!” Arial said.

“Okay, just ask Detective Bernard down the hall,” Angela said, “He'll give you a place to wait while your father is been processed.”

Arial walked off.

“Arial?” Angela said.

Arial turned back to Angela.

“I’m sorry,” Angela said.

Arial nodded and walked away. Angela walked to the window and looked out over the Danube, watching the boats pass by. There were no buildings on fire or fighter jets in the sky raining down missiles. The clean streets bustled with cars, and bicyclists pedaled across the intact bridges. The city was at peace. And the strangest thing was…she hadn’t been panicking since she landed in Vienna. She thought she would’ve felt something, but she didn’t. Maybe it was because she was dying. She reached up and touched her forehead, trying to imagine the tumor pressing on her brain, the tumor that would kill her one day. If it helped her get past those dark days in the old Vienna, at least she could die at peace.

Interrogation room

Anders sat in a chair across the table from Jacob.

“Who killed them, Jacob?” Anders asked.

“Our mosque has been vandalized 13 times in the last year,” Jacob said, “I heard a noise in the attic. I went up to see what it was and he attacked me. It was self-defense.”

“Hanging a man in self-defense?” Anders said.

“Is it any worse than what they did to Isaac?” Jacob said.

“Is it any better?” Anders said. “They found your book, your Book of Stones in Isaac's grave.”

“So?” Jacob said.

“So, that puts you at a second crime scene,” Anders said.

“Okay, I'm guilty!” Jacob said. “What more do you want from me?”

“The truth,” Anders said.

“I have given you the truth!” Jacob said.

“There was someone else in that attic with you,” Anders said, “Who was it?”

“There was no one else,” Jacob said.

“Then you’re implying my cousin is a liar, and she always knows what she sees,” Anders said.

“You know nothing about nothing and I have no more to say about this,” Jacob said, “I would like to see my daughter.”

Anders left the room and joined Angela on the other side of the two-way mirror.

“You want to see the background check I ran?” Angela said. “After World War II, he moved to the Middle East, where he joined an Islamic nationalist organization.”

“What, like the Mexican kind?” Anders said.

“No, more like the Jewish kind, based on nationalism instead of religion,” Angela said, “Anyways, he was arrested in 1959 for a bombing that killed 7 civilians. They pardoned him in 1984 in exchange for using his experiences to help the military hunt down RAF cells. He's a terrorist, Anders. A killer.”

“He's not our killer though,” Anders said.

“What do you mean?” Angela said. “He gave a confession, I just stood here and listened to him.”

“I think there was a second person in that attic, Angie,” Anders said, “You told me you saw that person too. Iqbal knows it too and he's protecting whoever it is.”

“Well, who?” Angela said. “His daughter?”

“No,” Anders said, “Somebody big enough and strong enough to knock me down.”

“Who do you think it was?” Angela said.

Through the glass, they saw Arial enter the room and hug Jacob.

“Stick around, this could get interesting,” Anders said.

“Where are you going?” Angela said.

“To see the Inquisitors,” Anders said.

Anders left the room. Angela turned back to the window.

“Daddy, they say you confessed,” Arial said, “Why are you doing this?”

“To protect you,” Jacob said.

“From what?” Arial said.

“I think you know,” Jacob said, “They found my book in Isaac's grave.”

“That can't be true,” Arial said.

“No?” Jacob said.

Bjnes Copy Store – 2:30 PM

How your tax marks support the Caliphate’s War on Civilization

Bjunes heard a noise and put down the pamphlet. He got his gun and tried loading it, but before he could, a figure grabbed him by the throat and slammed him against the wall.

Wait, Minecraft had a "downfall"? I know friends who still play Minecraft, and my cousin wants to get into it when she gets older. I don't really know, because I also lost interest a few years ago, when I started college and just put it aside, along with the Minecraft Youtube channels I used to watch. I do have fond memories of building several large cities in the overworld, a full village in the Nether, a military base in the End, and even an underwater city (all of which I also remember blowing up with hundreds of blocks of TNT fired by redstone-powered cannons:D). I guess since I left so long ago I might have missed the "downfall." I hardly recognize the game now (they apparently added dual wielding or something?), but it still feels popular among both children and teenagers. I don't know how the sale of Minecraft to Microsoft affected things, so I can't really comment on how not making the sale would change the game. On the other hand, I do know what happened when Microsoft bought Halo, so that won't happen.
It may just be because my friends and I lost interest in the game, but I've definitely noticed that the heyday of the "Minecraft community" on YouTube is over, with most YouTubers involved either quitting or moving on to other content. Minecraft is still financially doing well last I checked, but something about it seemed to have changed near the end of when I was playing it. Then again, that could very well be due to me aging and gaining new interests and, in turn, losing old ones. It's really weird to think about how my interests have changed over the years.

Looking at the course of updates on the Minecraft Wiki though (initially just to see how long it's been since I regularly played Minecraft), apparently there was a lull in the amount of updates for a while; 1.8 was released in September 2014, while 1.9 (which has that dual wielding you mentioned) was released in February 2016.
The "Charlemagne" DLC would instead be called "Heraclius" and start in 610 with Heraclius declaring himself Emperor and overthrowing his predecessor. Special events would railroad the Byzantines into either a war with Persia (most of the time) or expansion in Europe and North Africa (rarely). Events would simulate the rise of Islam, but Muhammad would not be playable (he wouldn't even be represented by an in-game character, only mentioned briefly in passing and rarely by name). There'd also be remnant Hellenic and Egyptian pagans as well as Indo-Greek communities in Central Asia. Other events would simulate Slavic and Germanic migrations into Europe. While players would initially complain about this setting (because either it goes way back before the Middle Ages or its depiction of Islam is inaccurate), there would be a lot of fun challenges and starts for this bookmark. One could make the early Islamic expansions even more successful, or they could defend Sassanid Persia against the Arabs and keep Zoroastrianism the dominant tradition in Central Asia. One could try to restore Hellenic or Egyptian paganism to their former glories. One could take over France as Slavic nomads. One could embrace Iconoclasm or stop the Catholic-Orthodox schism from even beginning. And of course, one could continue Justinian's conquests and restore the Roman Empire to its full power.
That's the main reason I chose 632 instead; being immediately after Muhammad's death, there wouldn't be any controversy surrounding his depiction, while most of the challenges you mentioned would still be intact.

Seems like a golem, at least from my understanding on them. I have to hope I'm wrong, if only for Isaac's sake.

It may just be because my friends and I lost interest in the game, but I've definitely noticed that the heyday of the "Minecraft community" on YouTube is over, with most YouTubers involved either quitting or moving on to other content. Minecraft is still financially doing well last I checked, but something about it seemed to have changed near the end of when I was playing it. Then again, that could very well be due to me aging and gaining new interests and, in turn, losing old ones. It's really weird to think about how my interests have changed over the years.
Oh yeah, I did notice most of the Youtubers have moved on to other stuff (I guess it's Fortnite or League of Legends these days). That was part of the reason I stopped regularly watching Youtube videos (that and Cinema Sins' videos had become unwatchable). I think the last time I played Minecraft was when they introduced that undersea temple. After I went there (and blew it up when I found nothing of value), I couldn't bring myself to keep playing. Coincidentally, that was around the time I got into grand strategy games. Sometimes, I wonder if my interest in PDX games would go the way Minecraft did, but I know that if it did, I'd make sure to at least complete this megacampaign and finish my Kaiserreich reboot before I leave for new interests.
That's the main reason I chose 632 instead; being immediately after Muhammad's death, there wouldn't be any controversy surrounding his depiction, while most of the challenges you mentioned would still be intact.
I think you're actually right. The only advantage 610 gives over 632 is that the Romans and Persians are more intact (and prepared to fight each other), but now that you point it out, maybe moving the start date to 632 makes things better. The political situation isn't that much different, except that Muhammad is dead (and since he's dead, we can actually represent his family instead of the weird system implied in my previous post where he doesn't exist but the rest of his family does). I guess the only reason I chose 610 is because everybody on the CK2 subreddit always chose 632 when discussing a third DLC with a timeline extension.
Seems like a golem, at least from my understanding on them. I have to hope I'm wrong, if only for Isaac's sake.
Golems are from Jewish folklore. We're talking about Islamic folklore here, although I have to admit I made up parts of this lore based on the assumption that religious folklore has syncretized over the centuries. That doesn't mean golems aren't involved though...;)

Oh yeah, I did notice most of the Youtubers have moved on to other stuff (I guess it's Fortnite or League of Legends these days). That was part of the reason I stopped regularly watching Youtube videos (that and Cinema Sins' videos had become unwatchable). I think the last time I played Minecraft was when they introduced that undersea temple. After I went there (and blew it up when I found nothing of value), I couldn't bring myself to keep playing. Coincidentally, that was around the time I got into grand strategy games. Sometimes, I wonder if my interest in PDX games would go the way Minecraft did, but I know that if it did, I'd make sure to at least complete this megacampaign and finish my Kaiserreich reboot before I leave for new interests.
I don't think CinemaSins is that bad personally, though I do tend to prefer other channels in that genre over CinemaSins. Though on that topic, now that I think about it, it's really weird to think that my subscription feed has gone from being mostly Minecraft YouTubers (as in, probably ~90%) to being comprised of various channels dedicated to history, politics, and (of course) grand strategy games over the years.

Now that you mention it, I think that part of the issue with Minecraft for me personally may have been how commercialized it got, similarly to other franchises like Fortnite. I mean, it was always somewhat popular, but it went from being a decent-sized indie game to a giant... product? Franchise? I'm not entirely sure how to word it (and it's 1:30 AM where I am currently), but hopefully you understand what I'm saying.

I don't think CinemaSins is that bad personally, though I do tend to prefer other channels in that genre over CinemaSins. Though on that topic, now that I think about it, it's really weird to think that my subscription feed has gone from being mostly Minecraft YouTubers (as in, probably ~90%) to being comprised of various channels dedicated to history, politics, and (of course) grand strategy games over the years.
Of course, it's still decent compared to a lot of other channels, but it's nowhere near where it was when my friend first showed me their videos back in high school. I think the issue with it was that like many channels it became monetized. Instead of making videos for the sake of making them, they're now made for money. I mean, why else would there be 20 minute long videos for something that used to take just two minutes? And I haven't gone on Youtube much besides searching for things related to my studies (or cooking recipes). I've been burned out that much by my past viewings. Sometimes, I wish I could go back and just watch Hitler Rant Parodies or Gamechap and Bertie like I used to without worrying about ads, monetization, or the comments being a hive of scum and villainy.
Now that you mention it, I think that part of the issue with Minecraft for me personally may have been how commercialized it got, similarly to other franchises like Fortnite. I mean, it was always somewhat popular, but it went from being a decent-sized indie game to a giant... product? Franchise? I'm not entirely sure how to word it (and it's 1:30 AM where I am currently), but hopefully you understand what I'm saying.
I understand what you're saying, but I personally don't feel like Minecraft has been that commercialized. It's retained a simplistic charm for me. You're alone in a world, there's no win condition, and your only objective is to not die. Even now I still imagine building impressive structures or constructing redstone logic circuits whenever I think back to Minecraft. But part of the reason why I dropped it was because my friends generally lost interest as well. The same thing happened with Pokemon right before. I go into middle school, and everybody's like "you still play Pokemon?" Never mind that when I talk to those same friends nowadays they're all Pokemon fans again (and some of them are still Minecraft fans too). It just fell out of fashion because we wanted something new, and now we're interested again because of nostalgia. Someday, like with Pokemon, I'll go back to Minecraft and just build something.

Back to the megacampaign, though, this commercialization of video games wouldn't take place, because I've wiped EA from existence, kept Microsoft away from Halo, put more emphasis on single player, and banned microtransactions and loot boxes. I might also make Elisabeth Alexandra and her daughter big fans of Super Smash Bros.:D

What would the FIFA games be like in this timeline? Considering that the Premier League is a combination of the OTL Premier League, other European leagues, and the UEFA competitions, would the FIFA games offer other worldwide leagues?

Where did the Chancellor live before the capital was moved to Constantinople? I understand that he lives in Bukoleon Palace now, but you never mentioned the Chancellor’s residence before he had to move out of Berlin.

Last edited:
What would the FIFA games be like in this timeline? Considering that the Premier League is a combination of the OTL Premier League, other European leagues, and the UEFA competitions, would the FIFA games offer other worldwide leagues?
I'm not familiar about FIFA games other than the World Cup. Maybe there'd be worldwide leagues for North Eimerica (and Tawantinsuyu), Asia/Oceania, and Central Asia.
Where did the Chancellor live before the capital was moved to Constantinople? I understand that he lives in Bukoleon Palace now, but you never mentioned the Chancellor’s residence before he had to move to Berlin.
There was a Chancellery building in Berlin. He also had an office in the Reichstag.

Would Constantinople be that much different from Washington D.C? I’m curious, as it seems quite similar, except there being a palace for the Kaiser, of course.

What was Moldavia like? I’m just wondering, as it was never mentioned after it started existing, and was absorbed by Dacia when it rebelled against Valentin.

What would the film Lincoln be like in this universe? Since it’s set during the conclusion of the Civil War, maybe it would feature the Maximist Wars?

Would Constantinople be that much different from Washington D.C? I’m curious, as it seems quite similar, except there being a palace for the Kaiser, of course.
Constantinople shares the DC parallel with Berlin (seat of government), while it also shares the New York City parallel with Frankfurt (Kyparades Park/Central Park, World Trade Center, economic institutions). So Constantinople is a mix of both DC and New York.
What was Moldavia like? I’m just wondering, as it was never mentioned after it started existing, and was absorbed by Dacia when it rebelled against Valentin.
Moldavia/Moldova isn't that much different from Dacia, and it was only split off into its own country because Molotov wanted another Occupied Territory government. It has no separate national identity and is basically a smaller version of Dacia.
What would the film Lincoln be like in this universe? Since it’s set during the conclusion of the Civil War, maybe it would feature the Maximist Wars?
Lincoln would instead focus on Sigismund II as he struggles to survive the Maximist Wars and then bring the Reich together in the aftermath.

Takwin, Part 2

Inquisition Regional Office, Landstrasse

Dieter noticed Anders walking into the library again.

“Afternoon, Agent Humboldt,” Dieter said, “You don’t usually call on such short notice.”

“You said the Book of Stones was an alchemist’s book about creating artificial life,” Anders said, “I need to know more about it.”

“What do you want to know?” Dieter said. “Make it quick, because I have a meeting in about half an hour. There's an inspection of our Siebenburgen relocation sites going on.”

“I want to know about the myth of the golem,” Anders said.

“Golems are from Jewish folklore,” Dieter said, "This is Islamic folklore."

“Well, Muslims have been in Europe for centuries now, like the Jews,” Anders said, “They’ve been living side by side for a while. Makes sense for some folklore to be mixed up. I seem to recall the word takwin, in addition to being the name of an idea, also being the name of the Islamic equivalent of a golem.”

“Why is the Athanatoi interested in a golem?” Dieter said. “Or a takwin?”

“That's what I was hoping you could tell me,” Anders said.

“Jabir thought a righteous man could actually create a living being from the Earth itself,” Dieter said, “Fashioned from mud or clay. This creature could only be brought to life by the power of the word. In practical terms by the inscribing of a word on the golem, or takwin, or whatever.”

“Words found in that book?” Anders said.

“On the back of his hand,” Dieter said.

“Yes,” Dieter said, “The word is hqyq, or truth. See, Agent Humboldt, therein lies the paradox... because the danger of the truth is contained in the word itself. Which means matter without form, body without soul.”

“It’s an imperfect creation,” Anders said.

“We found that out when we used them in ’41,” Dieter said.

“Golems? In battle?” Anders said.

“Long story short, they all died,” Dieter said, “And we all did. But back on track, the golem, or takwin, it’s kind of a monster, really. Unable to speak or feel anything but the most primitive of emotions. It runs amok if it isn't controlled by someone experienced. It has to be destroyed.”

“And how do we do this?” Anders said.

“Well, you could just blow them up with enough firepower,” Dieter said, “That’s how the Angeloi did it. But more practically, since we don't have military-grade weapons lying around in Vienna these days, erase the word. That’s about it. As you can see, the takwin is very derivative of Jewish folklore.”

Anders’ phone rang. “Yeah?”

“Hey, Anders, there’s been another homicide,” Angela said, “Hermann Bjunes, that Islamophobic copy shop owner. I’m heading there now.”

“I’ll be there in ten minutes,” Anders said.

Bjunes Copy Store – 2:45 PM

Angela and Anders walked past the police tape cordoning off the area and the police cars parked on the curb over to Bjunes’ body on the floor. A hand held a pamphlet that read, "Only through blood can the Muslim flood be cleansed". Angela grabbed it and tore it up, tossing it on the floor with the other pamphlets.

“A man with a mission,” Anders said, “Look at all the energy he spent spewing his hatred.”

“Well, he wasn't toiling in obscurity,” Angela said, “This manifest lists hundreds of names, including our three murder victims.”

“Well, there's no way Iqbal could have killed him,” Anders said.

“Yeah, I'll call the precinct and have him released,” Angela said.

“Agent Hansen?” a detective said.

They walked to a desk where the detective sat at a computer.

“Alright, the image is fuzzy, but I think we've got a hit,” she said, playing the CCTV, “There.”

She froze the frame on the face of a man standing over Bjunes' body.

“Mein Gott,” Angela said, “It’s Isaac Salman.”

“I'm not so sure about that,” Anders said.

3:00 PM

Bjunes’ body was zipped into a body bag and taken away. Meanwhile, Angela talked on her cell phone.

“No, that won't be necessary,” she said, hanging up.

She turned to Anders, sitting at the desk watching the CCTV tape. “Well, the coroner matched Salman's dental records. It was definitely his corpse in the grave. This video tape... it must have been altered somehow. Planted by whoever is staging this hoax. Maybe they were wearing a mask or something.”

“It's not a hoax, Angie,” Anders said, “It never was.”

“But if he’s dead, Anders—” Angela said.

“This is not Salman,” Anders said, “Not really.”

“Well, who do you think it is, a ghost?” Angela said.

“A ghost is spirit without form,” Anders said, “I believe what we're looking for and what we're seeing here, is... is form without spirit. Something called a takwin.”

“Like a golem?” Angela said.

“Basically,” Anders said, “Shares a lot of similarities with the Jewish golem. It's fashioned through mud and then animated through mystical incantation.”

“Anders, what are you talking about?” Angela said. “Created for what purpose? Revenge?”

“I don't think it was hate that created this, Angie,” Anders said, “I think it was love.”

Iqbal residence – 3:30 PM

Angela knocked on the door to the Iqbal residence.

“Arial, it’s me, Agent Hansen,” she said, “Open the door.”

She knocked again and tried the knob. The door wasn’t locked. They entered the house. All of the lights were off. Anders turned on a lamp.

“She’s not here, Angie,” he said.

“How do you know?” Angela said.

He pointed to the case where Arial had put the ring. “It’s her wedding day.”

“The mosque,” Angela realized.

Vienna Islamic Center – 4:00 PM

Jacob walked into the empty mosque and took a candle. He walked up the stairs to the attic.

“Arial?” he said. “I know you're here. I know you can hear me.”

He continued walking through the attic. A hand grabbed his shoulder, and he turned to see Arial in her wedding dress.

“Leave us alone, Dad,” she said, “You don't belong here.”

“I'm your father,” Jacob said.

“Please go,” Arial said.

“Not without you,” Jacob said, “I'm not leaving without you.”

“I want to see him,” Arial said.

“He's dead,” Jacob said, “Isaac is dead.”

“No,” Arial said.

“The boys, they killed him,” Jacob said, “Their hate took him from you and you tried bringing him back with your love. But what you brought back, you have to understand, Arial... It isn't him. It's an abomination. You don't know how to control it. It has no place among the living.”

“He said he'd call me back, Dad,” Arial said, almost crying, “We were talking on the phone about the wedding. Isaac said he had to go. There was a customer who needed him. And that he would call me back. But when I heard the phone ring later... something told me not to pick it up. A woman's voice was on the line. I didn't hear what she was saying... I didn't have to. I knew Isaac wasn't calling me back. I just wanted to say goodbye, Dad.”

“I know,” Jacob said, crying and hugging her, "I know.”

“I didn't think,” Arial said, “It was just a wish. They were just... words.”

There was a noise, and a shadow appeared.

“Stay here,” Jacob said.

“I want to go with you,” Arial said.

“No,” Jacob said.

He walked to the shadow.

4:05 PM

Angela and Anders drove up to the mosque. They got out and ran inside, their guns drawn. They found Jacob hanging from a rope, still alive. Angela lifted him up by his legs, while Anders got out a knife and cut the rope. They set Jacob on the floor and loosened the rope from around his neck.

“His pulse is weak, but it’s there,” Angela said.

“Will he be alright?” Anders said.

“If we get him to a hospital,” Angela said, getting up, “Just make sure he keeps breathing.”

“Where are you going?” Anders said.

“To find Arial,” Angela said.

Angela walked up the stairs and looked around, seeing Arial sitting on the floor, crying.

“Arial?” she said, running up to her. “We found your father. He's alive. He's going to be okay. I know about Isaac. Where is he?”

“I don't know,” Arial said.

“All right,” Angela said, “Come on. We got to get out of here.”

“No,” Arial said.

Angela heard a voice and turned around. The takwin stood there, watching them. Angela pushed Arial behind her and pointed her gun.

“Alright, I don’t know what the frak you are, but stop or I’ll fire,” she said.

“Angela, please!” Arial said.

The takwin walked towards them. Angela fired twice. The bullets struck the takwin right in the middle of his chest, but it kept walking. The takwin lashed out, knocking her on the floor. It began choking her. Angela, though, wasn’t scared.

“Come on!” Angela said. “I’m already going to die, so get it over with!”

“Isaac, please!” Arial said, holding up her ring.

The takwin stopped choking Angela and got up, looking at her. It walked over to Arial, stepping into the light. Angela could see it had Isaac’s face. The takwin gently took the ring and held it at the end of her ring finger.

“I am to my beloved... as my beloved is to me,” Arial said in Arabic.

The takwin put the ring on her finger. Arial smiled and curtsied. She kissed the tattoo on the takwin’s hand and then erased it.

“I loved you,” she said.

She cried as Isaac’s face fell apart, the takwin’s body dissolving back into mud. Anders ran into the attic and joined Angela.

“Angie, you okay?” he said. “I heard shots fired.”

Angela didn’t talk. She looked over at Arial, who knelt over the mud pile that made up the takwin just seconds ago. She picked up a handful of dirt and poured it over the “body.”

“She’s saying goodbye,” Angela said.

“Allahu akbar,” she sang, “Bismi llahi r-rahmani r-rahim. Iyyaka naAAbudu wa-iyyaka nastaAAeenu. Ihdina alssirata almustaqeema. Sirata allatheena anAAamta AAalayhim ghayri almaghdoobi AAalayhim wala alddalleena. Salawat. Allahu akbar. As-salamu alaikum wa-rahmatu llah.”

“God is great. Deliver us from Shaytan. In the name of God, the most gracious, the most merciful, god is great. Praise be to God, the Lord of worlds, the almighty and merciful, sovereign of the day of judgment. You alone we serve, and you alone we seek for help. Guide us to the straight path. The path of those whom you have blessed, not those who have incurred the wrath, nor the misguided. Allahu akbar. O God, if they were doers of good, then increase their good deeds, and if they were wrongdoers, overlook their wrongdoings. O God, forgive them and give them the steadiness to say the right thing. Peace and blessings of God be unto you.”

As happy an ending as this could have had, given what happened to Isaac.

As happy an ending as this could have had, given what happened to Isaac.
And as usual, the situation resolved itself without Angela and Anders' help. :rolleyes:

Invisible, Part 1
Siam Veterans War Memorial, Constantinople – July 25, 1996, 5:10 PM

Megas Domestikos Mihailo Princip stood at a podium in front of the memorial, addressing a large crowd of flag-waving veterans and their families.

“That many of you here tonight came home not to a hero's welcome but to the hostility of the Roman people is a shameful fact of history,” Mihailo said, to many cheers, “One that I will never understand or forgive. But it also underscores our sacred duty, not just today but forever, to honor those who served with honor and to remember those who fell, men and women whose ultimate sacrifice must never be forgotten. There is probably no audience that understands better that our freedom is not free. We owe that freedom to the selfless sacrifice of those men and women who laid down their lives in battlefields from Gibraltar to Siam to the Balkans. It is our duty to remember them every day. This country survived the centuries on the backs of people willing to defend their freedoms with their lives, and for that, I think it would be an investment that they would be proud of today. There is a statue of a soldier, and the plaque on that statue reads ‘not for themselves but for their country’. That attitude has persevered as the spirit of Roman soldiers, and it is in this spirit that we honor our countrymen. This memorial is a place where we can come and thank those men and women who died not for themselves but for their country. I'm always struck by something as I walk this park. The Siam Memorial always has someone standing at it, always someone running their fingers across the names. There's a tremendous amount of emotion in that simple act.”

Erich sat on stage next to Mihailo and held up his walkie-talkie.

“Alright, you're my eyes out there,” he said, “Talk to me. Positions report. Agent Kazdan?”

“Sector three clear,” Louise said.

“No sign of him in four,” Angela said.

“Sector six, report,” Erich said, “Anders?”

“He's here,” Anders said, “I feel him.”

“Then where is he?” Erich said.

Angela saw a man in combat fatigues walking forwards through the crowd.

“Hold on, I think I have him in section four,” she said.

“Can you confirm that, Angie?” Erich said.

Angela looked at a photo of a soldier with long hair. The man she watched had short hair, but it was the same person.

“Positive ID,” she said, “He's heading toward you, three.”

“Positions hold,” Erich said, “Three and four, do you have eye contact?”

“I have him in three,” Louise said, “He's coming to you, Hansen.”

“Don't take your eyes off him, Angie,” Anders said.

Angela followed the man, but he stopped and looked at her. He then continued forward.

“Frak, he saw me,” she said, “He's heading towards the sound booth.”

“Copy that,” Louise said, “I'm cutting him off.”

“Talk to me, people,” Erich said, “Does anybody have him? What's happening, Angie?”

“I'm closing on him,” Angela said.

“Do you have him in three?” Erich said.

“Negative,” Louise said.

“Angie?” Erich said.

Angela looked around, but the man was gone.

“Damn it, I lost him,” she said, “You got him, Louise?”

“I don't see him, Hansen?”

“What's happening, Angie?” Erich said.

Angela and Louise met in the middle of the crowd.

“I can't see him anywhere,” Louise said.

“He must be headed your way,” Angela said, “You got him, Anders?”

Anders stood at the front, between Mihailo and the crowd.

“Not yet,” Anders said.

He noticed the man approaching, but he disappeared.

“I got him—no wait, I lost him!” Anders said.

Erich saw the man approaching the platform.

“Pick him up, Anders, he’s right in front of you,” he said.

Anders glimpsed the man drawing a gun and drew his own gun.

“He’s got a gun!” Anders shouted.

Erich tackled Mihailo, pushing him away from the podium, while people in the crowd ducked.

“General, get off the stage!” Erich shouted.

Anders aimed his gun at the man, but the man then disappeared right in front of his eyes. He waved his gun around the crowd, trying to see where he went.

“I can’t see him!” he shouted.

Fort Theodosius, on the outskirts of Constantinople – 6:00 AM, earlier that day

A military helicopter touched down in a parking lot, and General Yanatos stepped out. A waiting soldier saluted.

“Morning, sir!” he said.

The general walked across the parking lot and got into a limousine. The helicopter took off, and the limo drove away. Yanatos opened his briefcase and took out a folder. The divider between him and the driver went up, and the door locked. The general didn’t think much about it, assuming it was the driver. He noticed a card next to him, a king of hearts. Picking it up, he found on the other side a drawing of a skull with a pair of bloody sabers crossed beneath it. He looked up and saw a man sitting across the seat from him.

“Who the—” he began.

The driver, Private Burkholder, heard a gunshot. He quickly stopped the car and ran to the back.

“General, sir!” he shouted.

He opened the door and found Yanatos dead with a bullet hole in his forehead. The card lay on his chest. There was nobody else in the limousine.

Omar Mukhtar Building – 7:18 AM

Erich paced around the conference room, handing files to Mihailo Princip and the other agents.

“Lieutenant General Petros Yanatos was shot dead at extreme close range at 0600 this morning,” he said, “Athanatoi Forensics reports the wound was not self-inflicted. The murder weapon has not been recovered. The general's driver, Private First Class Gustaf Burkholder, is currently being held on suspicion of murder.”

Louise Kazdan flipped through her file. “Well, it says here tests confirm the private did not do the shooting.”

"There is suspicion of an accomplice, based on the one piece of evidence found at the crime scene, a so-called ‘death card’ used by soldiers in Siam to mark their kills," Erich said, holding up the card, “and by Private Burkholder's possible ties to a radical paramilitary group called The Left Hand, a splinter of the Red Army Faction claiming to be the successor to the Black Hand, an early 20th century anarchist group responsible for the deaths of several members of the imperial family at the turn of the century and starting World War I by murdering Franz Ferdinand. After speaking with Chief of Staff Princip, he believes we have a high probability of opportunity for a group like this, a unique situation that can result in the very public loss of lives. Dozens of high-ranking military officials are in Constantinople today for rededication of the Siam Veterans War Memorial this evening. Unless we can determine a clear motive, we will consider any one of them to be a target.”

“What if Private Burkholder's telling the truth, that he's innocent?” Anders said.

“Until we can find another suspect, the Athanatoi will pursue the Left Hand and their leader, an ex-marine named David Marsden, in a preemptive strategy to put a stop to any other plans that he might have made,” Erich said, “Now you all have Marsden’s file in front of you. For obvious reasons, our strategy includes keeping this from the media. You'll be working in teams of two. If you encounter any resistance, do not engage - surveil and call for backup. Agent Raum has your assignments and your field warrants. We have less than 12 hours to prevent any further execution or loss of life. Understood?”

The agents murmured approvals to each other. Mihailo shook Erich’s hand and left.

“Alright, Becker and Fontana, you're going to the Ostend,” Raum said, “Joachim and Mustakis, you're going to the Nordend.”

Angela and Anders approached Erich.

“Dad, was that for the benefit of the Megas Domestikos, or have you been able to develop a real strategy?” Angela said.

Erich sighed. “Right now, I'm flying by the seat of my pants.”

“You mean there's no procedure outlined for an invisible assassin?” Anders said.

Erich turned to Angela. “Did you talk to Private Burkholder?”

“I interviewed him and convinced him to take a polygraph test,” Angela said, “He passed. The nature of his claims would suggest a false positive. The tester admitted that the results are highly interpretive.”

“You heard his story, Anders?” Erich said.

“Yeah. I found his story compelling, personally, but then again I believe the commission into the death of Ragnar Beck,” Anders said.

“Well, if I have to devise a strategy around that story, then there is no strategy,” Erich said, “Somebody killed the general, which means somebody is not telling the truth.”

“The man who heads the Left Hand, Marsden,” Angela said, “Do you have a warrant for him?”

“Yes, why?” Erich said.

“We’ll serve it,” Angela said.

Anders nodded, but Erich sighed.

“Angie, you’ve got cancer,” Erich said.

“I’m going to die anyways,” Angela said, “I really don’t care when at this point.”

“That’s not the point, Angie,” Erich said, “You’re getting too reckless lately. One misstep, if Marsden smells a shakedown, he's going to disappear and find another way to push the button. And I've already seen more dead soldiers than I ever want to see. Just be careful.”

He handed Angela the warrant and left.

Syrallo, Eastern Thrace – 8:48 AM

Angela drove down a dirt road and stopped at a gate with a speaker box. Behind the gate were several trailers. She pushed the button and waited. There was no immediate response, so Angela pushed it again.

“Herr Marsden?” she said.

Marsden’s voice crackled on the speakers. “Who is it?”

“Agents Hansen and Humboldt with the Athanatoi,” Angela said.

“What do you want?” Marsden said.

Her eyes wandered around, looking across the woods on the far side of a road. She caught the fleeting glimpse of a man standing there. When she looked again, there was nobody there.

“It's extremely urgent that we talk to you right now, sir,” she said.

“Gate's unlocked,” Marsden said.

Angela and Anders got out of their car and walked through the gate. Three dogs jumped out the back of a station wagon and charged them, backing. Anders quickly bolted for the gate, but when he looked back, Angela hadn’t moved.

“Angie, come on!” he shouted.

The dogs ran around Angela, snarling and growling at her. Angela refused to budge. She watched the dogs running around her. They kept their distance from her, as if they could sense something wrong with her. She felt a little disappointed about the dogs, but she still found herself smiling.

“Angie!” Anders shouted.

Angela turned back to Anders and laughed. “They can’t hurt me!”

Marsden walked out of a trailer and whistled, calling the dogs away. He walked over to Angela.

“Morning, ma’am,” he said.

“Your dogs aren’t as aggressive as they seem,” Angela said.

“I was just as surprised as you are,” Marsden said.

“Oh, I wasn’t surprised,” Angela said, “A little disappointed, maybe.”

“Now, you wanted to see me about ...?” Marsden said.

“The murder of General Petros Yanatos,” Angela said.

“Am I under suspicion?” Marsden said.

“No, but your group is,” Angela said, “And Private First Class Gustaf Burkholder.”

“Is that a name I should know?” Marsden said.

“He's on the mailing list for the Left Hand,” Angela said.

“Two thousand names on that list,” Marsden said, “I can't keep track of every one of them.”

“Well, we'd like to go over that list with you, sir,” Angela said.

“No way in hell you'll be getting that from me,” Marsden said.

“We already have a copy, if you'll just come with us,” Angela said.

“I'm not going anywhere,” Marsden said.

“Sir, we have a warrant for your arrest if you don't cooperate,” Angela said, showing the warrant, “Under the Diet’s new anti-terrorism law, we can and will hold you until we get the information we want.”

The dogs barked and ran away. Marsden looked to the gate and saw several groups of soldiers standing outside. He looked at Angela and sighed.

“There goes the neighborhood,” Angela said, “You can make this as easy or as hard as you wish, sir.”

“The Left Hand believes in empowering the working class over a corrupt and inherently unequal imperial government,” Marsden said, “We're prepared for the time when armed resistance will be necessary. Lives will have to be sacrificed, but that day has not yet come. We broke off from the RAF because they believed that day already passed, which it hasn’t.”

“Would you take a polygraph, Herr Marsden?” Angela said.

“My word's good enough,” Marsden said.

"What's your ‘word’ on this?" Angela said.

He held up an evidence bag containing the "death card". “Where'd that come from?”

“I'd like to ask you that,” Angela said.

“More men are going to die,” Marsden said.

9:00 AM

The dogs were now in cages, and soldiers carried weapons out of the main trailer.

“This guy's a one-man threat to national security,” Angela sad, “I bet he's got more weapons and ammo than most North Eimerican dictatorships.”

“He told me to pull this photo from his file cabinet,” Anders said.

He showed her a photo of Marsden and another soldier with long hair.

“Who's this?” Angela said.

“He says that's who killed General Yanatos,” Anders said.

“Name's Nathan Musser, 26 confirmed solo enemy kills,” Marsden said, walking over, “A veritable killing machine. Left for dead by the same government that created him.”

“Left for dead?” Angela said.

"He belonged to Scholai Palatinae detachment B-11 - The squad known as the ‘Bloody Sabers’," Marsden said, “In 1971, the B-11 was being transported in country when their chopper was shot down. There were no survivors.”

“When was this photo taken?” Anders said.

“December 1995,” Marsden said, “Just a few hours after the Left Hand liberated him from a POW camp in Chiang Mai.”

“Herr Marsden, I'm sure that you're aware that in 1973 the Bureau of Defense determined that there were no more POW's in Siam,” Angela said, “And even if there were more POWs, Siam is a Roman ally, and they’d return them.”

“Maybe that's why they tried to kidnap Sergeant Musser when we brought him home,” Marsden said.

“The government kidnapped a prisoner of war?” Angela said.

“I said they tried ... had their commandoes board our plane in Baghdad,” Marsden said, “When they broke into the cargo hold where we hid him, he was already gone. I never figured out how.”

“I think I've heard enough,” Angela said.

She and Anders walked away.

“You don't believe him, do you?” she asked Anders.

“Well, what if he's telling the truth?” Anders said.

“A phantom POW left for dead comes back to avenge the injustices?” Angela said.

“Maybe the war ain't over, Angie,” Anders said.

“Or maybe not Marsden’s war,” Angela said.

“Well, given the facts of the case and Private Burkholder's polygraph test, this is the closest thing to an explanation that we've got,” Anders said.

“Or it's just a clever story being proffered as a cover-up for what is actually an elaborately orchestrated conspiracy,” Angela said, “I’m sure you think that’s the case.”

Anders smiled. “You know me too well, Angie.”

“Let Marsden take the polygraph,” Angela said.

“And if he passes?” Anders said.

“We’ll talk about it when that happens,” Angela said.

Siam Veterans War Memorial

Barbara Georgios stood in front of the memorial, holding flowers and looking at the name “Martin Georgios” on the wall. The name “Nathan Musser” was right below Martin’s. As she set down the flowers, Nathan approached from behind.

“Frau Georgios,” he said, “Barbara Georgios?”

“Yes,” Barbara said.

“Wife of Corporal Martin Georgios of the Imperial Marines and the Scholai Palatinae?” Nathan said.

“Yes,” Barbara said, “I'm sorry, do I know you?”

“No, ma'am,” Nathan said, “I've come to act in his behalf for the reason that Martin remains a prisoner of war.”

“Martin’s dead,” Barbara said.

“No, ma'am,” Nathan said, “May you forgive me as you forgive him, as a man and as a soldier, for restoring the honor and the memory of the B-11.”

Nathan handed her a set of dog tags with Martin’s name on them. Barbara stared at them with an excitement she hadn’t known in a long time.

“My God!” she said. “Where’d you get these? Who gave you these?”

She looked up, but Nathan had vanished.

11:48 AM
Angela and Anders arrived at the memorial, where workers were busy setting up scaffolds for Mihailo’s speech, and approached Erich.

“Is it true she made a positive ID from the photo?” Angela said.

“From a bad fax of it,” Erich said, “Do you have the actual photo with you?”

“Yeah, and more copies to distribute,” Anders said.

“We have event security checking out all vendors and workmen,” Erich said, “We've got it out to local law enforcement, but not to the exclusion of the other suspects.”

“I thought she ID'd Musser?” Angela said.

“She did, but I cannot authorize or promote a strategy here that's going to target a soldier who's officially dead,” Erich said.

Angela saw Barbara Georgios sitting quietly on a bench.

“Because his name’s on the wall?” Anders said. “Under the name of your friend?”

“I only knew Corporal Martin Georgios for one mission, Wat Hunsen,” Erich said, “After that, I lost track of him. But that’s not the reason. The reason is because I just got off the phone with the Army Forensics Lab, where Sergeant Nathan Musser’s remains have been stored since they were recovered from the crash site.”

“They have his remains?” Anders said.

“Marsden may have staged this whole thing, finding somebody vulnerable like her to pass off his lies,” Angela said.

“Why go to all that trouble?” Anders said.

“To create a decoy, to divert our attention,” Angela said, “And it seems to be working.”

“Well, this woman saw someone, decoy or not,” Erich said, “I want to know who.”

Angela walked over to the bench and sat next to Barbara. She showed her Marsden’s picture.

“Did you see this man?” she said.

“Yes, that's him,” Barbara said.

“Are you sure?” Angela said.

“Everything he said made it sound like Martin was still alive,” Barbara said, looking at Martin’s dog tags, “That can't be true. Can it?”

“You say he just disappeared?” Angela said.

“That's what's so strange,” Barbara said, sobbing, “One minute he's standing right in front of me, and then he's gone. What if he's telling the truth? What if Martin is alive? I've tried to get on with my life. What am I supposed to tell my kids now? What am I supposed to do?”

Angela noticed Erich bowing his head and wiping away tears as well. She turned back to Barbara and saw a small amount of blood near her eyes.

“Oh, your eye,” she said.

Barbara put a tissue to it and saw the blood. “Oh my God! What’s happening?”

“I think you just burst a capillary,” Angela said, handing her a tissue, “Hold a tissue there.”

She got up and walked over to Anders.

“Can we give Frau Georgios an eye exam?” Anders asked.

“For what?” Angela said.

“By all accounts, the man we're looking for – the man she saw – has a knack for vanishing in plain sight,” Anders said, “Maybe there's a connection.”

“Anders, what she has is a simple sub-conjunctival hemorrhage,” Angela said, “It's probably brought on by her emotional state.”

“And how did she reach that emotional state?” Anders said.

“What about you?” Angela said. “What are you going to do?”

“I'm going to see if we're really chasing a dead man,” Anders said.

Army Central Identification Lab – 1:22 PM

Anders met a doctor in the hallway.

“Agent Humboldt?” the doctor asked.

“Yes,” Anders said.

“Dr. Benjamin Keyser,” the doctor said, shaking Anders’ hand, “I think I located what you're looking for. It's a small miracle I found it, actually. The record had been partially destroyed.”

They walked into a lab, where Keyser reached for a small tray, labeled “Musser, Nathan J.”, that contained three teeth. He handed it to Anders.

“Two bicuspids and a molar,” he said.

“This was all that was left of Musser at the crash site?” Anders said.

“Well, I've seen findings made with far less,” Keyser said, “And these are Sgt. Musser’s teeth. I cross-checked them with his dental records.”

“Is there any way to tell how the teeth were extracted?” Anders said.

“Well, I would assume that they were pulled,” Keyser said, putting one under a microscope, “On each of these teeth, there's a pronounced scoring in the enamel. See for yourself.”

Anders looked through the microscope. “Can you tell if that was pre- or post-mortem?”

“No, not really,” Keyser said.

“Well then this is presumptive, isn't it?” Anders said. “A finding of death based on inconclusive evidence?”

“Well, actually it was noted right here, even underlined,” Keyser said, handing him the report, "Inconclusive, it says right here."

“Whoever signed off on this death chose to ignore the facts, huh?” Anders said.

“I couldn't tell you who that was,” Keyser said, “As I said to you, these records were partially destroyed.”

“Is there any other way to tell?” Anders said.

“Well, based on the records and the reports filed at the same time, we can make a pretty good guess,” Keyser said.

Anders nodded.

Pentagon, Kodima (formerly Karacakoy), Constantinople

A phone rang, and the driver picked it up.

“Yes?” he said. “Yes, just a moment.”

He handed the phone to General Stephan, in the backseat. “It’s for you, sir.”

Stephan took the phone. “Hello.”

“General Stephan, this is Special Agent Anders Humboldt with the Athanatoi,” Anders said, “I'm calling because we have reason to believe that your life may be in danger.”

“What are you talking about?” Stephan said.

“That the person or persons responsible for the murder of General Yanatos this morning may have chosen to target you,” Anders said.

“Based on what information?” Stephan said.

“Based on a death certificate that you may have put your signature on,” Anders said, “A death certificate for Sgt. Nathan Musser.”

“I don't know anything about that, but I'm on my way to the Pentagon right now,” Stephan said.

“Listen, sir, I'm ten minutes away,” Anders said, “I have to ask you to trust my risk assessment on this and take every caution.”

“Right,” Stephan said.

“Do you know your driver, sir?” Anders said.

“Yes, he drives me all the time,” Stephan said.

“Good,” Anders said, “I'm going to put two Athanatoi agents there to escort you just as a precaution. They have my mobile phone number, okay?”

They pulled up to the Pentagon. Stephan walked out and met two Athanatoi agents, Louise Kazdan and Agent Caleca.

“Afternoon, General, we’ll be your escorts today,” Louise said.

“Just do your job, ma’am, and let me do mine,” Stephan said.

They entered the lobby and passed through the metal detector.

“General, sir,” the security officer said.

“Good afternoon,” Stephan said.

Behind them, Nathan walked through the metal detector. The CCTV monitors showed him walking through, and the alarm sounded, but when the security officer turned, he didn’t see anybody there.

Caleca entered Stephan’s office first and saw nobody there.

“All clear, general,” she said.

“Thank you, ladies,” Stephan said, “That will be all.”

Louise and Caleca stepped out and closed the door. Stephan put his hat down on his desk and prepared to sit when he found a death card on the chair.

Outside, Anders walked up to the Pentagon entrance. His phone rang.

“Humboldt,” he said.

“I’m at St. Eudokimos with Demetrios,” Angela said, “The ophthalmologist found something, a transient scotoma. It’s a floating blind spot.”

Anders reached the metal detectors and showed his badge to the security officer. He walked through the detectors.

“Well, what would cause that?” he said.

“Well, any number of diseases can scar the retina,” Angela said, “Diabetes, glaucoma, macular degeneration. In turn, they, they create a visual field deficit.”

“Well, does she have any of those diseases?” Anders said.

“It doesn't appear so,” Angela said.

“Well, don't you think it's odd, Angie, that she'd have a blind spot that she wouldn't, uh, that she wouldn't have noticed before?” Anders said.

“Well, not necessarily,” Angela said, “Uh, the processes of the brain fill in and the visual cortex compensates conceptually.”

“Well, that might account for Musser’s vanishing,” Anders said.

“Demetrios laughed at me when I suggested that,” Angela said.

Anders’ phone beeped with another call.

“Hold on, Angie,” Anders said, switching to the other call.

“Agent Humboldt, this is General Stephan,” Stephan said, “I’m in my office, and I found something on my desk ... something very troubling.”

“The agents that I assigned to you, are they with you?” Anders said.

“No, no, they're just outside,” Stephan said.

“I want you to call them into your office right now, General,” Anders said.

“Who put this here?” Stephan said.

Anders heard a gunshot.

“General Stephan?” he said.

He ran to Stephan’s office, where Louise and Caleca were already inside.

“Call an ambulance,” he said.

“I already did,” Louise said.

Anders walked over to Stephan, who lay on his back behind his desk, the death card on his chest. Nathan stood several feet to Anders’ left. Anders looked in that direction, but he saw nothing.