• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
i dont think the amaterasu descent has the same significance as sayyid. japanese society was divided by both class and lineage. sakke, the highest group of court nobility (koge), was exclusively the descendants of the fujiwara clan. the court nobles in turn were all ranked above the warrior class regardless of descent. even among the warrior class, whether genuine or not, purported imperial lineage was so common that only the senior branches held any kind of prestige.

Last edited:
This is an amazing mod! I'm amazed at how much content you all have put out. How well does this run? Does it tank performance, like the anti-Crusader Mings naysayers thought it would?

So this mod also changed the African map a bit in the very beginning. Are there any plans to add the Sahel and to increase West Africa's cash flow like the Central Africa Historical Map Expansion mod does?

I can't wait to see how Tianxia plays when the whole mod is completed. I'll definitely be making submods for it once it's out :)

This is an amazing mod! I'm amazed at how much content you all have put out. How well does this run? Does it tank performance, like the anti-Crusader Mings naysayers thought it would?

Performance is hurt a bit. I've not bothered to try to compare vanilla and Tianxia performance (particularly since the last time I played pure vanilla for longer than I needed to check new DLC features (say 25-50 years, depending on the DLC) was pre-2.2/CM (which was the first patch/DLC that had features that crossed from "This feature doesn't work like I'd like, but I can manage for now!" to "Okay, I'm modding this out the moment the DLC drops!" for me)), but you'll probably notice a slight drop. My very biased opinion is that the trade-off of some performance for everything we add is worthwhile (that also was my position back when a "China DLC" might have been on the table), but of course we have the hardline anti-China people on the forum who wouldn't trade any performance for a map expansion that probably would use Tianxia to prove that a "China DLC" never would have been possible.

We are also somewhat more restricted than the actual CK2 devs are at all times since we cannot modify the underlying code and any addition on top of vanilla's stuff will cost some performance, so without cutting or significantly changing something from vanilla (which we won't do unless it touches the Far East and we feel the need to replace it) we will always have worse performance than vanilla at any given point (particularly when we have to replace stuff like the "China Screen" with something more performance-heavy to have something that works at all). Naturally, we try to optimize our stuff as much as possible, but we can only do so much.

Of course, there are some things that can be done to improve performance that we probably won't include in the base mod (because we don't want to change vanilla stuff unnecessarily as it might not be to everyone's liking) that I'd recommend, like as increasing the event offset for both rulers and courtiers to account for the fact that we obviously have more of both (going from 20/50 to e.g. 30/75 would probably be fairly unnoticeable when it comes to how many events you get and would definitely help with performance (though you can't simply decrease the frequency based on the expected number of added provinces/rulers/characters and expect a linear improvement as there are some very non-linear checks in the game)), perhaps moving some on_yearly_pulse (and less frequent on_[years]_pulse) events/random events to less frequent pulses, increasing the AI decision evaluation frequencies for various AI decisions, etc.

So this mod also changed the African map a bit in the very beginning. Are there any plans to add the Sahel and to increase West Africa's cash flow like the Central Africa Historical Map Expansion mod does?

We might do that at some point, but the focus is the Far East for the foreseeable future. I also half-expect a vanilla update to North/West Africa (which could include a Sahel addition) along with 2.10 (or later) if we get something beyond 2.9/HF (given that we're currently getting less than two DLCs/year, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if development ceases entirely soonish (though of course 2015 was a year with only one DLC too, even if the gaps from WoL to HL and HL to Conclave both were smaller than the gap from JD to the present (and HF probably still is at least a month or so away))) since that's an area that really could use a facelift (at the very least) that people frequently request additions for (though of course the hardline "It's Crusader Kings!" people will probably be as unhappy as always...), so that work might be done by the CK2 team before we get to a point where the Tianxia team might have time for it.

Also, the Tianxia team might change in some way before we get anywhere close to that point since new members might join (We have cookies the ability to play with the new stuff before public releases!) and old members might stop contributing (whether they still remain official members of the team or not), so we could get a predominantly pro-Sahel or anti-Sahel team before then, get other "factions" wanting to improve/add/change other things (say a hypothetical influx of CK2+ devs/players that want to rework everything and gets our "Vanilla takes precedence" rule thrown out), or might simply be tired of working on the mod for the time being and just want to play with the stuff we've created without actively working on it.

ck2_82.png

The Emperor of Japan has got some nice things...

A new government form for Japan <3 :)

I can't guarantee it will go through (at least in its current form), but there'll probably something new in the area, yes.

Also, I just found that this somehow happened in an observer game...

ck2_83.png

That is a naturally occuring Merchant Republic in China, based in one of the Silk Road ports. It will have to be patched, since it has the potential to screw over the player if they don't want to be an MR (or will be unable to play one because they lack the DLC for it), but it was interesting to see it happen.

In other weird news (that I didn't screenshot), Britanny ended up going randomly Han (I suspect due to the AI being as incompetent as usual when it comes to education) in another observer game.

That is a naturally occuring Merchant Republic in China, based in one of the Silk Road ports. It will have to be patched, since it has the potential to screw over the player if they don't want to be an MR (or will be unable to play one because they lack the DLC for it), but it was interesting to see it happen.
What do you mean by "potential to screw over the player"?

What do you mean by "potential to screw over the player"?

The player might have no interest in becoming a MR, and having a bug cause such a government switch (which this counts as, since it isn't due to a "Become MR" decision) wouldn't be particularly fun if it messed up your campaign. Also, as mentioned, if you don't have The Republic, such a switch could cause a game over, which would be even less fun.

Way too OP. No sword can be that powerful and I'm not liking the mythical route of this.

The stats are non-final, but the ones shown are not too far removed from some other high-quality artefacts (for example, a T4 sword forged by a regular smith currently gives +1 prestige, +4 martial, +7 combat rating, and Kusanagi is T5 (hence better stats in one of those categories) and also sacred (meaning some piety/co-religionist opinion makes sense) and more likely to be supernatural (hence a troop boost, like some other artefacts)). As for the mythical aspect, the Imperial Regalia of Japan is decidedly non-fictional, and CK2 convention is to give rather good stats to high-tier artefacts (especially those that could have mystical powers).

If you don't like that, mod it out. I won't stop you, but I also won't do it for you.

Excuse me, but I would like to know something: Is this mod going to be compatible with overhaul mods like HIP? You see I downloaded HIP and so far, I love it! If I could download this mod as well... wow, the possibilities. Anyway, thanks and God bless

Excuse me, but I would like to know something: Is this mod going to be compatible with overhaul mods like HIP? You see I downloaded HIP and so far, I love it! If I could download this mod as well... wow, the possibilities. Anyway, thanks and God bless

In general, any two mods that change the same things will NOT be compatible. HIP is a massive overhaul mod that has a ton of files that conflict with Tianxia.

No, since there doubtlessly is at least some overlap in files that have been changed (regardless of whether the differences are tiny or not) and some HIP (or whatever) and Tianxia additions might be contradictory. However, if you feel like merging Tianxia (whether the current outdated version or a future one) and another mod for your personal use, we'll not stop you (and I suspect most other mods won't particularly care either), though there might be conditions (from both us or the other mod team(s)) if you want to upload that merger anywhere (attribution, at the very least, will be a condition, and it might not be the only one).

No, I understand that overhauls tend to conflict... oh well (shrugs). Hopefully in the future CKIII will include most (if not all) of the world, and be more historically accurate/realistic. Thanks anyway:)

Still hyped for this Mod more than any DLC but I have a question about the historical events. How would the historical Mongol Empire events like The Mongol Conquest Of Khwarezmia Empire, Mongol Conquest Of The Song etc play out if some people put the Mongol Invasion earlier? would the historical events be pushed backwards or forwards in the east while the West stays historically accurate? if you understand what I mean

Still hyped for this Mod more than any DLC but I have a question about the historical events. How would the historical Mongol Empire events like The Mongol Conquest Of Khwarezmia Empire, Mongol Conquest Of The Song etc play out if some people put the Mongol Invasion earlier? would the historical events be pushed backwards or forwards in the east while the West stays historically accurate? if you understand what I mean

We've not gotten to a point where we have done anything for the Mongols, so at the moment I believe it would spawn the horde in the vanilla provinces and then let it do whatever. We've also not outlined what any potential Mongol railroading actually would look like, and we'll almost certainly make it optional (I personally dislike railroading of anything on the map a lot, so unless I am being overridden on that I will put in the option to opt out of railroading in the base mod (and will definitely post a submod for it if it doesn't make it into the base mod)), but my guess is that the final version will be something like this (Note: This is not a promise):

If you start at any point before Temujin is on the map, the vanilla options are available with slight modifications:
- No Mongol invasion - Nothing happens. The setting to use if you dislike historical railroading of any kind for anything on the map, since the political climate in the east quite possibly could make the Mongols implausible at best.
- Historical - The Mongol doomstacks spawn slightly earlier than in vanilla (since they have stuff to conquer further east earlier than they arrive on the vanilla map), and probably at the northern edge of the map (since having them jump over several counties would be extremely odd). The Mongols are then allowed to roam free without railroading anything aside from the first war declaration).
- Random/Delayed random - The above, but with randomization as per the vanilla randomization rules.

Aside from probably tweaking the Manifest Destiny CB slightly to direct the Mongols slightly towards historical targets (which de jure drift of course can mess up...), none of these options will guarantee that the Mongols go after historical targets in the right order.

If you start at any point when Temujin is on the map, a new game rule ("Temujin story events", or some such) with the following options starts to impact the game:
- Off - Temujin gets no special treatment aside from some event troops if you start after he has started to conquer stuff. Pick this if you want him to play by the same rules as everyone else aside from getting starting event troops for certain dates.
- On - Temujin gets Charlie-style story events (and possibly also event troops along the way) to help make historical-ish conquests (and possibly ones letting him continue his conquests a bit further, if he blobs more quickly than he historically did or simply lives a very long life (though we'll of course not be covering a hypothetical immortal Temujin)). The exact events depend on what we want to add and coding limitations.

Regardless of choice above, any ongoing war involving the Mongols during the lifetime of Temujin will probably be ongoing if you start during it (though occupation will not correspond to historical occupation at a a specific date).

If you start after the death of Temujin, nothing particularly interesting happens. The Mongol Empire or its successor states are around and might have event troops, but they otherwise don't get anything in particular save perhaps the "The Mongols convert to X" events that vanilla has. Trying to model the division of it in the game would be extremely messy (since events during the game could kill someone that should get land, ahistorical conquests could have been successful, historical conquests could have failed, etc.), and writing story events for all of the successors would take time away from other things.

Is there a 2.8 yet?

Not publicly, no. We've got the compatibility done internally, though, and are now adding new things to that build. Of course, 2.9 will break things again...

By the way, the Kashmiris should be light skinned.

Not sure we actually have Kashmiris any longer (well, we have characters with that culture, but I think they no longer are relevant in any fashion), since the Kashmir region was redone by vanilla in 2.8 and vanilla doesn't have a Kashmiri culture, and I'm the wrong person to be making any decisions about which facepacks to use (and also the wrong person to be creating any facepacks).