• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Maybe I'll learn from your AAR. I recently started a new Rome game myself. I remembered enough to beat Pyrrhus. All I really remember is Populists must be stopped at all costs...…..even if it means losing a war.

Maybe I'll learn from your AAR. I recently started a new Rome game myself. I remembered enough to beat Pyrrhus. All I really remember is Populists must be stopped at all costs...…..even if it means losing a war.
Welcome aboard! :)

Yes, in game as in the real Rome of the time: the populists were generally seen as enemies of the Republic (bearing in mind it was actually run by the elite of the nobility and Senate).

Last I played Rome (many years ago) this was too easy, Pyrrhus didn't even suffer a pyrrhic victory but was outright defeated.

Wow, an EU Rome AAR. Those are rare! Subbed :D

Last I played Rome (many years ago) this was too easy, Pyrrhus didn't even suffer a pyrrhic victory but was outright defeated.
It’s funny, I used to play this a lot, but so much water under the bridge since then ... I’m hoping the hard setting and my forgotten expertise helps even things up a bit. I think I may track my progress against OTL out of curiosity. Re Epirus: well, we should beat them really - I hope I don’t contrive to make it too much of a contest! It wouldn’t be a properly Roman journey without dreams (delusions?) of grandeur, destiny, glory, conquest and entitlement! ;)

I shall also follow this, because it seems easy enough to keep up with... ROMA VICTOR!

But but but... Gladiator...

I shall also follow this, because it seems easy enough to keep up with... ROMA VICTOR!
Thanks for dropping in! Hoping to make it an easy read. To the victor (or vitrix ;) ) the spoils!
Victrix. Rome is female. Yes, I know...
:D I suspect there is going to be a lot of this along the way - which is why I’ll be trying to stick to safe ground! I don’t want John Cleese coming by to threaten to chop me! :eek:

Just wait until we start nitpicking declensions. As the saying goes, "You ain't seen nothing yet" ;)

...But seriously, don't be afraid to just throw something out there and ask for help if you don't think it's right. I may be a little rusty since I haven't used much of it in a while, but I did take two years of Latin in college, and it sounds like there are a few other Latinophiles afoot as well.

But but but... Gladiator...
Nobody expects the Latin Grammar Inquisition?
Everyone should expect the Latin Grammar Inquisition! And without the comfy chair. :p
Just wait until we start nitpicking declensions. As the saying goes, "You ain't seen nothing yet" ;)

...But seriously, don't be afraid to just throw something out there and ask for help if you don't think it's right. I may be a little rusty since I haven't used much of it in a while, but I did take two years of Latin in college, and it sounds like there are a few other Latinophiles afoot as well.
No fear here ... indeed: audentes Fortuna iuvat! Or should that be audentes Fortuna adiuvat? Or Fortuna audaces iuvat? Or maybe audentis Fortuna iuvat? <*runs away from Wikipedia page, yelling wildly*>:eek::D:D
Five years of the stuff in Gymnasium. Still can recite the beginning of Metamorphoses by Ovid from memory... *shudder* Don't do dead languages, kids!
Ancient history back in high school (now we're talking over 40 years ago) and NO Latin! It will be direct known (if debated) quotes :) and the odd bit of very simple Google translate. :eek:

you know I'm following this. a little bit difficult to follow the roman titles but I think those will come to me eventually.

Alea iacta est... The die is cast (somber) or the game is set (and thus excited)? Who knows!

you know I'm following this. a little bit difficult to follow the roman titles but I think those will come to me eventually.
Indeed I do my friend, and I once again profess my appreciation for the weekly showcase nod - gold! I will be gentle with the Roman stuff - this will be a game oriented AAR, though with a few little quirks along the way. Anything obscure will either be explained - or omitted! :)
Alea iacta est... The die is cast (somber) or the game is set (and thus excited)? Who knows!
I think many different Romans crossed their own Rubicons for generations, of course. I also plan to have a bit of fun along the way, not least in commentary repartee between episodes - which has already occurred, I’m happy to see, and I heartily encourage!

The next chapter (I have to get my next CK2 piece finished off first in the ninth century AD, which is fairly close to done, then we will return to Rome, then after that back to Turkey in 1941) will have one of those little quirks in it which I hope to keep going throughout. All will be revealed in due course - at the propitious time, when the Omens are favourable. ;):D

The Weekly AAR Showcase led me here and I'm glad it did. Wonderful start Bullfilter! :)

It has been a long time since I've played his but I still have a soft spot for the game (and period of course!) It is great to see that it still gets some love!