• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As Barante watched in horror, Malvasia sighed in relief. The King and Nemours had escaped the Palais. All would be well. Drawing himself up Malvasia moved swiftly to the stand of the Chamber, going unrecognised in the confusion as he shoved away deputies and rabble alike. Then standing there, he drew his pistol and sword before firing over the heads of the crowd for their attention. A brief moment of silence fell. A single moment in time. Josse Fulbert, vicomte de Malvasia, reached out to grab it.

"GENTLEMEN! With the authority vested in me, as a member of the Regency Council for His Majesty Philippe VIII, by His Royal Highness the Lord-Regent, duc de Nemours, I hereby demand you stand down and restore order to this assembly. Those of you who seek your liberties shall find them, but I will have order here. In the name of the King, and of God's own authority, this I demand. God save the King, and God save France."

As Barante watched in horror, Malvasia sighed in relief. The King and Nemours had escaped the Palais. All would be well. Drawing himself up Malvasia moved swiftly to the stand of the Chamber, going unrecognised in the confusion as he shoved away deputies and rabble alike. Then standing there, he drew his pistol and sword before firing over the heads of the crowd for their attention. A brief moment of silence fell. A single moment in time. Josse Fulbert, vicomte de Malvasia, reached out to grab it.

"GENTLEMEN! With the authority vested in me, as a member of the Regency Council for His Majesty Philippe VIII, by His Royal Highness the Lord-Regent, duc de Nemours, I hereby demand you stand down and restore order to this assembly. Those of you who seek your liberties shall find them, but I will have order here. In the name of the King, and of God's own authority, this I demand. God save the King, and God save France."

"No, I suspect not."

Hôtel de Lassay, Paris

Louis de Rohan watched proceeding events with great interest, although it seemed somewhat of a haze due to sleep deprivation and the alcohol he had consumed once reaching the hotel. It had been a coincidence that he had wandered into where the liberal deputies were trying to organize a counter government, and he felt out of place watching them work. He was a minister of the government they had criticized and now were pushing from power. Despite that, he did not speak to them, and they ignored him in turn. That gave him time to listen to all the news pouring in from outside while getting royally drunk. His cousin had a fine selection of wine and he had decided to help himself to a bottle or two.

In the course of a few hours, Louis managed to watch both the rise and fall of this new ministry, and these liberal deputies surely did not appreciate his boisterous laughter after Gagnon announced the disbanding of his government and had departed. Most of the deputies had left soon after, but some continued to mill around. As word reached Lassay of the intent of the Regent to take the King into exile, Louis could only laugh some more. Perhaps it was the wine or the sheer hopelessness of the situation, but it seemed so overly amusing to him. France was doomed and it was all thanks to his fellow politicians.

Eventually he wandered over to the deputies in his drunken stupor. He placed his bottle of wine down on a nearby table, rough enough to rattle it without breaking. The deputies turned towards the disruption, and Louis, who had been holding back so much pent of frustration over the years, just let them have it.

"I hope you are all happy with yourselves. So caught up in your petty little games to seize power that you never consider how badly things could turn out. Because of you and your ilk, Paris will burn and good Frenchmen will die. What ever happened to the days when men could cooperate and seek compromise instead of vehemently opposing each other with every fibre of their being? Did you truly think you could stir up the public, sabotage your own government, and just step into power? You are fools, all of you. You'll be lucky if you escape Paris alive. If I find out any of you are strung up by the neck by an angry mob, I won't shed a single tear. You deserve whatever fate that is coming your way. You, Gagnon, Malvasia, Lecuyer, and all the rest. France is better off without you."

One of the deputies went to speak, but Louis slammed his fist down on the table, nearly knocking over his bottle of wine. "But the folly is not yours alone. I served as a minister in a corrupt government, one filled with men more concerned with their own ego and pride than France. They would rather let the monarchy die than give up a shred of power. Now France will pay because they were too self-absorbed to see the obvious. I wish I could see them all now so I could tell them face to face the numerous follies they committed. But alas, I wouldn't be surprised if they are dead, torn apart by the masses. A sad fate, but not one unearned."

Louis grabbed his bottle of wine and took several long chugs before setting it back down on the table. "And don't get me started on those filthy republicans. Demand after demand after demand. They claim to represent the people, but they don't even understand them. They, like everyone else, use them for their own needs, to take power wherever they can find it. They don't give a damn, otherwise they would not be condemning countless thousands to a bloody death in their foolish revolutions. At times I feel I am the only one who remembers the Revolution and the bloodshed it caused. The only thing this fight for a republic will do is lead to pain and suffering for all Frenchmen. People will die and nobody seems to care."

Louis grabbed the bottle again, but found it empty. He snatched another from a passing servant and took a long chug before resuming his tirade. "Well they can all go to hell, and France with it. After watching the struggles France has been forced through over the decades, I have finally come to understand the truth. The French people are a self-destructive lot completely content to ruin everything they have created all while bringing down their own country in the process. They will do terrible things in the name of France, but in the end all they do is hurt her. No one actually cares. And you know what, I don't either. France doesn't deserve my love. All it and its people have ever done is hurt me. If the sea swallowed up the entire country and every Frenchman with it, I would thank God that such a blight on this world was removed once and for all. The real France died in 1789 and we've been living in a bloated corpse ever since. The stench is now unbearable and I think it's about time to leave. Good riddance, to both you and this wretched country."

Turning on his heels, albeit awfully unsteadily, Louis strode towards the door, the bottle of wine still in his hand. As he passed a servant, he said, "Give my cousin my thanks for letting me stay in her home, but I have a sudden urge to depart this horrid city." With that, Louis stumbled out into the streets. He wandered towards the city's edge, occasionally drinking from his bottle. With his threadbare coat and bottle of wine, he looked like some poor drunk who had just been through a bender. He was also still aware enough to avoid the worst of the rioting. Perhaps that, combined with his appearance, would be enough for him to go unnoticed so he could leave Paris.

Let's debrief. RaR sometimes gets accused of historical determinism (straw-man for the win), so I feel somewhat obligated (as a real-life hater of determinism) to explain what happened. I think I did the same thing last time, so consider it game policy. Let's dig in.

Mistake #1. Dismissal of Barante. This was not a necessarily an unjustified change, but the way it happened looked like surrender, and the expectation from surrender is that you win something from forcing the opposite party to surrender. My personal prediction was that Barante would survive past the economic recession, and secure the succession. He obviously did not. Condition: Barante's diplomatic policy probably needed to be changed. The fault lies partially with the man himself.

Mistake #2. New ministry, same stuff. Now this is complicated by political factors and other issues, but once the King threw off the Iron Glove and called in the center and left, the expectation necessarily arises that they would concede. Instead, when they had their best chance to force through reforms (during the March Days), they instead resorted to suppression without another simultaneous element of change.

Mistake #3: The dynastic left becomes too closely associated with the ministry. I mentioned this briefly before, but the lack of an effective opposition gave a lot of momentum to the 1830 Comité and the radicals. Did the left really need to wholeheartedly embrace Barante's ministry?

Mistake #4: How do I rate the performance of this ministry during the Revolution? Why did it only last one day, compared with the 1830 Revolution? The resistance ministry in this incarnation of Revolution and Reaction was chaotic, prone to extreme autocoups and illicit actions. By the time of the Chamber's rejection of the Palace Compromise, the downfall was basically inevitable. It lasted shorter than 1830 because the 1830 movement had a simple policy of suppression and ministerial unity; this one was prone to extreme changes, often without consultation of the deputies. Thus the 1848 ministry was much less effective than the 1830 ministry, which itself was not very effective for similar reasons of executive usurpation. Elite defection kills, folks. Read your poli sci crap.

Mistake #5. Too much deliberation in the Chamber of Deputies. This is a simple point; by the time the proclamations came, if the conservatives wanted to attempt a counter-revolution, they should have sprinted out. It takes five minutes to cross the Seine. (I give you maps for a reason, you know.)

Mistake #6. Not proclaiming the Regency of Henri V in 1830.

But we passed reform? Why didn't it do more? (Questions I'm anticipating, but have thankfully not been asked.)
Centrist reforms historically called for about a 100 franc extension, which would have doubled the franchise. The twenty-five franc extension added a paltry and distributed 40,000 electors to the franchise.

Will the government ever win in Paris?
Not if they have the same flag as the rebels, obviously.

Could the coup have worked?
If the Deputies were at gunpoint, or on board, sure.

-
Recap: everyone is probably hanging around (in, or near) the Chamber of Deputies. Some are lightly detained in the Deputies. I shoot it over to the republicans now. Except Lecuyer, who is probably wherever.

Last edited:
@Mikkel Glahder, @ThaHoward, @Luftwafer

"Gather what we can from our countryside estates. Bring the English gilts. And let's be off to Spain. No need to brood over what has been done," said Nemours to what remained of his entourage.

'Perhaps Father was right,' Nemours thought. 'When I asked if peace could be permanent he said "To each his time and place. The Kingdom had a beginning. If it has to have an end, I pray it is a glorious one for the history books..." little did I know he foresaw this... Though, I should add my own observation; this cycle of violence will continue till France decides upon the type of government that divides it the least. If it is this Republic, then all was for the best. I can only hope and pray the blood split was worth it.'

Hôtel de Lassay, Paris

The Princess of Armentières felt a terrible headache as soon as she opened her eye. The sun was shining and the sky was blue and bright. Way too bright. Simply. Too. Bright. She looked around herself, she was laying in her bed in the Hôtel de Lassay, several empty bottles of champagne around her. Her memory was quite hazy as she chanced her trust on her ability to walk. She collapsed, groaning and moaning, her hand in a puddle of stickiness eager to reconcile her mind and her stomach.

She crawled to her armoire, catching a glimpse of her reflection in the mirror. She was a hot mess, that was for sure. Grabbing a peignoir, she fought for a second with her tangled hair, before walking toward the door, where her maid was waiting.

Armentières: “Marie ... what colour are we wearing today?”

Maid: “Red, White and Blue Madame.”

Armentières: “With embroidered lillies?”

Maid: “No Madame, simply Red, white and blue.”

She closed the door and allowed herself a tear.

A man wakes in the bed of his favorite mistress, disturbed by a servant of the house. He asks a question and receives a terse reply. He reads a note by candlelight. He smiles.

“The next steamer, then. Gather up the others. Include the young Condé; he’s mentioned wanting to go, and his purse can support it.”

The man turns back to sleep in the arms of an Englishwoman, but his thoughts are of another, far greater lady.

France awaits.

It was a shame to part such a lovely place as the Hôtel de Lassay, but The Baron was urgently needed elsewhere - anywhere else. Without so much as a courteous farewell to the lady of the house upon whom Gagnon, himself, and others had so imposed he fled into the streets with whomever he had managed to convince to follow him that day. Captains of industry? Bankers? The day was a blur.

Paris was but one city. The rest of France, even a Republican France, would surely not fall into this anarchist madness. It was time not to hide and cower but to run far, far away from the tumultuous greatest city in the world.

Emergency Paper on the Commercial Sector of the French Republic

WHEREIN the entirety of the Bourse has been subsumed into a singular entity;
WHEREAS the current status of the Economy of France is in question;

THE following will be enacted forthwith:

I) The elements (defined as all financial institutions nationalised) will be collected into a singular financial entity known as the National Bank of France.
II) The National Bank of France is under the direct control of the People of France; administrated through their representatives within the Parliament of the Second Republic; Headed by the Minister of Finance.
III) The National Bank of France shall come into effect immediately, with all current investments inherited by the elements being found as good and wanting.
IV) The National Bank of France shall immediately bankrupt on all foreign bonds, loans, and financial agreements in order to ensure solvency and liquid assets for international use.

Nadeau

I) The elements (defined as all financial institutions nationalised) will be collected into a singular financial entity known as the National Bank of France.
II) The National Bank of France is under the direct control of the People of France; administrated through their representatives within the Parliament of the Second Republic; Headed by the Minister of Finance.
III) The National Bank of France shall come into effect immediately, with all current investments inherited by the elements being found as good and wanting.
IV) The National Bank of France shall immediately bankrupt on all foreign bonds, loans, and financial agreements in order to ensure solvency and liquid assets for international use.

Nadeau

((We finna go to war with all of Europe.))

Nadeau

((Seeing as this needs clarification, the Provisional Council enacts policy by majority, so this is just a proposal.))

BY DELIBERATION OF THE PROVISIONAL COUNCIL OF FRANCE:

1) MM. Barante and Gagnon shall be exiled forthwith, although they shall be permitted to collect their assets prior to exiting the boundaries of France.

2) The Vicomte de Malvasia shall be banished to Saint-Pierre et Miquelon for the remainder of a forty year sentence.

3) Marshal Moncey shall be imprisoned for the balance of twenty years, pending appeal.

4) All other individuals participatory in the treasonous activities of February, 1850, shall be granted amnesty.

The battle was lost.

As the Republicans were proclaiming their victory in the Palais de Bourbon, the (soon to be) ex-Baron Alexandre Descombes sat in the corner. A armed Republican stood close by, ensuring he wouldn't run, but Alexandre knew better. All he could do was watch as the world he fought for was consumed by the same fires that brought it into being.

He took out a flask from his pocket, and took a swig.

Real-time ended. Consider us in a brief month-to-month period. News has now spread. Further updates on Europe to come.

ALL PLAYERS MAY CHANGE CHARACTERS!

To M. Esmé Merivée, Ambassador to the court of St. James (@DensleyBlair)
Your Excellency,
I write to you today to ask for an extended period of leave. The situation in France, as you have no doubt also been informed to far greater extent than I, have become critical. As I have family, as well as extended property and my own financial security, I see the need for myself to return, and to perhaps even run for deputy. I do truly enjoy the time I have spent, serving under you, but my conscience is utterly plagued by recent events. I ask you for leave, as I at present time do not know if I am of a mind to permanently resign. Of course, I shall be more than happy to in any way accommodate my substitute, or should you wish, replacement.

I know that you, in your position as ambassador, are also in a predicament, and as such regardless if you grant me leave for the time being, or wish for my resignation. Then I shall happily carry any letters you may have, if you deem it needed, to your family and ensure they make their way. I am also more than happy to provide for your family at Chantilly, or de l'Arrouaise should you prefer them further away from Paris.

Signed,
Philippe Henri de Bourbon, Comte de la Marche​

To Louis-Napoleon (@etranger01)
Sir,
I thank you for the invitation, I shall happily accept and I hope that we may find the same friendship which I found with the young Napoleon in Austria near two decades ago in more innocent times.

Signed,
Philippe Henri de Bourbon, Comte de la Marche​

In my capacity as Chairman of the Provisional Council I hereby declare the following appointments to be made to the Provisional Cabinet, to continue upholding the functions of government until such a time that a formal constitution can be drafted and ratified by a Constituent Assembly elected by the people.

Minister of Foreign Affairs: Henri Deflandre ((Firehound15))
Minister of Finance: Reynaud Gillet ((Somberg))
Minister of War: Francois-Olivier Nadeau ((Dadarian))
Minister of the Navy: Félix Roger Disney ((Noco))
Minister of the Interior: Louis-Alexandre Clement ((jeeshadow))
Minister of Education: Pierre Marie de Saint-Georges ((NPC))
Minister of Public Works: François Arago ((NPC))
~ Reynaud Gillet, Chairman of the Provisional Council

Last edited:
Surprised, but nontheless dejected at the results of his sentencing, upon his release Mateo Gagnon collected his assets, namely what money he could from the few banks left in operation, and all his prized possessions from his apartment in Paris. There, him and his wife departed his lifelong home for Madrid and Spain, to reunite with Nemours.

La Journal des Débats

The Principal Perogative of the Provisional Government

The events in Paris have taken their turn and the Republic has been restored to France. So be it, but on what constitution shall this new republic be constituted. No ready made Charter exists nor man with sufficient authority to propagate one. Therefore, while the Provisional Council must see to the day to day governance and defense of the nation for the time being with full legitimacy their principal occupation must be the calling of a Constituent Assembly to create a new constitution for France. No unilateral declaration of Parisian radicals will bring peace and unity to the nation.

All of France must be consulted on the matter of the constitution. I say let us rally to the Republic, but let us first establish its character and laws by a process amenable to the whole of the nation that the forthcoming government may not force itself upon Paris nor Paris force herself upon the provinces. Let all of France cry: A Constituent Assembly for the New Republic!

- Clément Larousse, Député pour Isère

Having somehow escaped all punishment, M. Duval had spent the time after the Revolution recovering in Marseilles, a much poorer man after the massacre of the banks by those damnable anarchists. Sentiment in the Republic might turn from the socialists some day, and when it did he would be there. After all, his retirement from active participation in Ministerial activities had come at a fortuitous time. While tainted by association, he had not been in any of the final ministries, legal or illegal.

Barante, aged 65, left most of his affairs to his son, Victor, and left for Madrid.