• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
With a mod like this, I guess make a backup of the whole data directory?

I'm thinking of switching over mid game. I don't want to restart again, but the changes look good and the end game nerf would be nice.

Take one backup. Maybe you modify something later etc. who knows. So backup from data folder may not be a bad idea.

Hello Sirs,

Time to add some more Guts. The following update is not tested as well as the previous one but in case you are interested. So what is new?

- Removed stability 20/40/60 modification
- New stability function is 100 + Mech tonnage. Atlas 100+100=200 stab HP. Locust 100+20=120 stab HP
- LRM/SRM stab damage -1
- SRM2 heat -1
- JK variants included. JK Variants are working with the mod without any additional modifications. If JK updates Variants, you should be able to safely unpack it directly on top of this mod.
- Mech operation costs are based on mech tonnage.
- Mech repair cost and time is based on mech tonnage.
- 1 to global contract difficulty, I believe that would be half skull. You can still find 1/2 skull contracts.

You can erase data folder and download new from steam or delete mech, chassis, vehicle, vehicleChassis and movement folders and unpack.
Notice that the path has changed. Had to edit one dll file, maybe you want to take a backup from it as well. Steam provides new files in case something does not work so backups are optional.

For modders:
SimGameConstants.json Several variables now work as "per ton".

MechCostPerQuarter
StructureRepairTechPoints
StructureRepairCost

For example MechCostPerQuarter = 200 -> Atlas 100t operations costs are 20000
These new values need some extra Guts.

Stab damage is still high with big mechs but it is an improvement to the situation.

About light mechs. These are difficult to balance. Limiting drop tonnage might be the only way to make those valid?

Attachments

• NoGutsNoGalaxy-0.2a.zip
    5,7 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Looking better and better!

Mind if I include notes to your mod in my ReadMe for the next release?

Tested the new version and works so far in my campaign which I started with the mod. One thing I noticed is that I am not even bothering to go for Bulwark anymore since Juggernaut is a useless skill on most pilots that are snipers/LRM or slow mechs, you never melee with them ever. We need to find another solution. Piloting seems like a good spot for Juggernaut, you get an extra evasion chevron when going for a melee attack and you generally use fast mechs to melee as well as all the + Hit chance for melee which is actually useful with the mod since you have lower melee hit-chance. But having Bulwark and Ace Pilot in the same tree would also suck. Can we actually add more skills like a 3rd row? I feel like we need to completely overhaul the skill trees.

Juggernaut definitely needs to be in the Piloting tree imo, it actually has synergy there. Just Ace Pilot has to go.. maybe to Tactics? Guts could have Master Tactician.

Gunnery: Same as vanilla
Piloting: Evasion passive > Juggernaut
Guts: Bulwark > Master Tactician
Tactics: Sensor lock > Ace Pilot

What you think? All 3 trees would have distinct uses.

Basically what the core issue is, Juggernaut is so bad in the Bulwark tree it has to be moved or changed to something completely different. Though I would like it added to the Piloting tree because imo it has good synergy there. One thing I was thinking about is making Juggernaut a heat based skill, so you activate the skill and you can Overheat once or twice without penalty, fits right into Guts theme. :) You could build heat heavy mechs that utilize this skill.

Last edited:
Increase the effectiveness of evasion - it makes light mechs a lot more viable.

like this mod does:

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/41

I have to think about this, but am definitely open for ideas.

Checked some of the weapons there...
I decreased LRM and SRM stab damage for this 0.2a. The issue is that standard LRM is working fine in early game. Those +1 and +2 stab weapons are causing more issues. In late game there seems to be plenty of stab damage.
Another things I considered was to decrease accuracy or add heat for LRM +stab damage versions.

I am definitely open for suggestions.

Light mech issue:
If I don't remember this wrong, Light and Medium mechs have already chassis based bonus evade, Light mechs had 2, mediums 1. Not visible directly but I think there was a small built in evade buff. I was planning to add better evasion but accuracy seemed to fix so many issues that I decided to hold with this. This is definitely something to consider. Any feedback is appreciated.

But...
Assault mechs should be better than Light mechs?
How would drop ton limit work here?
If we had drop ton limit would we need buffed Light Mechs?
What would be a good limit if we had one?
4 and 5 skull contracts could need some Guts. But does it matter if you always can go back to systems that have 2 skull contracts?

Economics:
Economy is now supporting long range weapons. I tested a bit with Atlas, took some heavy beating. +100 days out of action and +1 million repair bill + 20k per month operation costs.
Guilty, the guy who is helping me to test this. He said me today that he had to think a bit what mechs to use. He also said that for 3 skull contracts he did not take Assaults, as he did not want to risk with repairs.

Probably not perfect but I understood that company management is in a bigger role now. This needs more testing. One big reason why I wanted to release this sooner than later.

... I noticed that pilots don't really die that often. It can be that pilot health has to be decreased? Opinions?

Guts:
If it is too much or not enough, let me know.

Last edited:
Asked who? Its a quote from the game and I think the name of an achievement.
I asked from this group: http://nogutsnogalaxy.net/

They have been using the name for 9 years. They don't have any rights to claim the name, but I suppose it did not harm to ask either. Working for Battletech community for 9 years is a respectable achievement. If the name had been an issue, well, I would rather respect the work of old community and join it than be against it ;)

Would it be possible to change juggernaut from the melee ability to something more along the lines of it activates bulwark after sprinting? If it had that effect it would actually be worth being the second ability in the guts tree. And it could be balanced by removing any evasion gained from sprint or something along those lines.

Just imagine a banshee bearing down on you and practically ignoring your pesky attacks as it closes for melee.

I am sorry I am not always answering to all, real life creates time issues for virtual life.

About skills:
Skill tree is more like "You get some, you lose some". If you get good synergy with skills, at least it is not as OP as Bulwark + 2nd level skill.
The skill tree could be balanced so that there are more synergy between skills. This is another way to balance.

If i want to keep bulwark and juggernaut as they are in the base game, do i just have to leave the AbilityDef files alone? Or are there other changes I would have to make elsewhere? Also @raok you may want to include that updated file in your fist post on this thread so that people see it.

If i want to keep bulwark and juggernaut as they are in the base game, do i just have to leave the AbilityDef files alone? Or are there other changes I would have to make elsewhere? Also @raok you may want to include that updated file in your fist post on this thread so that people see it.
I believe changing those files would be enough.
I named it 0.2a because I have not really tested it too well. Left it a bit hidden because of that.

Also...
There was some issue with my JK Variant usage.
Also Chauneko from nexus mod noticed that "a missing comma in the shopdef_Mech_Liao.json, line 56"

I have a question about this entry

Salvage:
- Destroyed mechs recovery change set to 50%

Is this referring to our Mechs or enemy Mechs? If enemy Mechs cool as it makes old fashion salvaging more important.

If it is referring to our Mechs why not go all out or not at all? If it isnt receding to our Mechs is it possible to implement a system where a cored mech is lost? Maybe just prohibit repairing the CT so the player can still scrap what's left .

So i just downloaded the latest version of this mod from nexus. Played the first mission. My vindicator took a couple hits that went internal, amounting to 10 points of structure loss in the leg and 2 points lost in an arm. No destroyed / damaged components. Repairs will take 45 days. That seems a tad long in my opinion.
@raok Is that how long it should take to repair a mech?

Have to test the repair time more. My friend has been playing that version and only said that Repair Costs should definitely not be decreased. He did not say that repair times are very high. It can be that it takes a bit too long, have to test this better.

I played some early game battle and took some hits to a Medium mech and noticed that repair time was something like 55 days. That sounded a lot and I tested it so that I waited to finish next Mech Tech upgrade +1. This upgrade was also my first upgrade for Argo. 55 days went to 44, if I remember correctly. So after couple more additional upgrades, maybe Medium mech repair times are not so bad?

In vanilla repair upgrades were a bit like "I don't really need but I suppose it cant harm either". In this version you really want to upgrade your Mech Tech. It is something you need, not something that really does not matter. Your early company lacks equipment to do repairs, your task as a Company Commander is to provide them some.

Also, if repair times are short everyone will simply wait couple days and in the end use only ~one lance of mechs. Build additional Mech Bay once you get Argo. It makes it easier to have couple mechs under repairs.

Light mechs are "economically buffed". So yes, Locust is pretty much what it was in Vanilla. Once you get an Atlas, you will probably see a small difference in repair times.