[Mod] JK_Variants 1.8.0.0 - 175+ 'Mechs and 125+ Vees, Rarity Tables, and more

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah it's been saving as .csv

I've got LibreOffice installed at home, I'll look at the detailed save options it gives tonight if I get a chance.

Sometimes software will superficially save as a file type, but there are some deeper options that control formatting or encoding quirks.

I've got LibreOffice installed at home, I'll look at the detailed save options it gives tonight if I get a chance.

Sometimes software will superficially save as a file type, but there are some deeper options that control formatting or encoding quirks.

Here's the csv I made https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9whnydtl4bodvg/VersionManifest.rar?dl=0

With the additions all the way at the bottom, I've also tried inserting the lines alongside stuff they would go with normally (like putting the jenner JR7A with the other jenners) and that didn't work either.

I guess it's openoffice doing some weird formatting to the csv and breaking it, I'll try uninstalling that and going with libreoffice

Last edited:
Okay an update: Installed libreoffice and used these settings when importing:

92cedf3500.png

And that worked (the game actually loaded). At first it wasn't putting those mechs in the skirmish mechlab (I put the lines at the bottom), but then I put their lines in with the rest (i.e. putting Jenner A with the other Jenners) and it worked. So all systems nominal now! I imported the Jenner A and the Panther 8 to the db that is included with the mod so that should put them in the campaign hopefully. Looks like I managed to sort out my issue.

I recall when the Beta came out I had initially attempted to use Open Office Calc (Excel) and save the csv that way and ran into problems with it not being recognized. I and others, @Pachira , recommend using Notepad++ instead.

I recall when the Beta came out I had initially attempted to use Open Office Calc (Excel) and save the csv that way and ran into problems with it not being recognized. I and others, @Pachira , recommend using Notepad++ instead.
Luckily I managed to get it working with libre office, I think you could probably get it working with open office as well as long as you use those exact settings (I didn't play around with those settings until installing libre office).

Notepad++ is a great program as well though, I use it for everything else pretty much (for example .json files). I got into the habit of using that back when I first got into STALKER modding.

Sorry - looks like I was a bit late with my response! But I will leave it for anyone else that needs it

What do you use to modify .csv files? Seems like everytime I edit it to add in the stuff that's in jk_weaponammo's csv additions thing the game won't load. I'm using openoffice and I'm not sure if there is any special format settings I should be using or something like that.

I really wanna have those fancy weaker variants.

Using the included versionmanifest.csv works fine, but that doesn't have the jk_weaponammo stuff in it (and neither does the metadatabase.db that's included I'd assume)

If you have the 1.02a mod, here is a modified csv file with all of the items inserted :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XyF4hcQWa0pHfooHTWBYJkAsvGgaxakL

The MetadataDatabase.db file in that mod already has them all added in.

The MetadataDatabase.db file in that mod already has them all added in.

If you leave a few of the mechs in your mod out, will the new MetadataDatabase.db file still work?

If you leave a few of the mechs in your mod out, will the new MetadataDatabase.db file still work?

If you leave 'Mechs out of the MetadataDatabase.db (MDD) and VersionManifest.csv (VM), then it more or less ignores the excess files in the mech/chassis folders (at least it did in 1.0/1.01)

If you leave the 'Mechs out of the MDD, but keep them in the VM, then they only appear in Skirmish.

If you have a reference in the MDD and VM and you delete the file, it usually hung for me.

If you have a reference in the MDD and delete from the VM and delete the files, I am not sure what will happen. Probably a background error - or maybe just an error when it tries to use that 'Mech.

It would cool if HBS could explain better what some of these variables mean like "blacklisted" and "unit_urbie" without having to guess. And also all of what is governed by "rarity."

Right now, as Justin stated, if you don't want something to appear in the campaign just don't add it to the MDD. This isn't a method I particularly am a fan of.

It would be better if more specific tags were created like "unit_campaign" and "unit_skirmish" to make it easier for which units you want to appear in both or just one. And also parameters for how likely something may appear in an OpFor if added to a campaign + the ability to exclude it completely from appearing in OpFor, but still available for purchase on a defined world or faction.

@Justin Kase I'm having an issue with combining the VersionManifest files for this mod and another one, this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/33

I know for a fact that both your VM and the other mod's VM work perfectly on their own (have tested this extensively, run a campaign with the other mod as well, worked perfectly). However, manually adding either mod's files to the other one's VM causes the game on hang on loading on a black screen with FPS counter. I can run the game forever with no issues without these changes, so it's not a video codec/card issue. It only happens post-modification of a VM file that tries to pull from multiple mods folders at once, apparently.

I have no idea what the issue is and could use some more experienced advice. Any thoughts?

It would cool if HBS could explain better what some of these variables mean like "blacklisted" and "unit_urbie" without having to guess. And also all of what is governed by "rarity."

Right now, as Justin stated, if you don't want something to appear in the campaign just don't add it to the MDD. This isn't a method I particularly am a fan of.

It would be better if more specific tags were created like "unit_campaign" and "unit_skirmish" to make it easier for which units you want to appear in both or just one. And also parameters for how likely something may appear in an OpFor if added to a campaign + the ability to exclude it completely from appearing in OpFor, but still available for purchase on a defined world or faction.

This. So much this!!!

What's the best/easiest way to edit MetadataDatabase? That's one thing I never modded in beta.

@Justin Kase I'm having an issue with combining the VersionManifest files for this mod and another one, this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/33

I know for a fact that both your VM and the other mod's VM work perfectly on their own ...

I have no idea what the issue is and could use some more experienced advice. Any thoughts?

I'll download the CW Mod and look at it this eve or tomorrow to see if I can figure out the conflict. Thanks for alerting me!

I'll download the CW Mod and look at it this eve or tomorrow to see if I can figure out the conflict. Thanks for alerting me!
Sure thing man. I appreciate the look. For now, I'm just going to play with your mech variants and keep my eye on this thread. Oh, and since I didn't say it earlier (because I'm a bit daft), this mod is pretty fabulous and is well appreciated. Thanks for the hard work!

Hey, Justin Kase, just to point out. I downloaded the "JK-Variants" main file from the Nexus but didn't downloaded "VersionManifest - Includes all submods.csv" tagged as an optional file. I started to have infinite loading screen issues. After reading the output log I saw the game was trying to load Jenner NR7-A and Panther PNT-8Z wich are not included in the Manifest of "JK-Variants" file, only in the "VersionManifest - Includes all submods.csv", so I had to add it and solved the problem. Tronel Large Laser, Agra Medium Laser, Half Ton MG ammo, Demolisher MG and Schrek MG are also not included and I also added it. If it happened to me it will likely happen to other people but they may not figure it out. So I think "VersionManifest - Includes all submods.csv" should me mandatory and not under the tag "Optional Files" in the Nexus or "JK-Variants" file should include it or not request stuff from it.

Hey, Justin Kase, just to point out. I downloaded the "JK-Variants" main file from the Nexus but didn't downloaded "VersionManifest - Includes all submods.csv" tagged as an optional file. I started to have infinite loading screen issues. After reading the output log I saw the game was trying to load Jenner NR7-A and Panther PNT-8Z wich are not included in the Manifest of "JK-Variants" file, only in the "VersionManifest - Includes all submods.csv", so I had to add it and solved the problem. Tronel Large Laser, Agra Medium Laser, Half Ton MG ammo, Demolisher MG and Schrek MG are also not included and I also added it. If it happened to me it will likely happen to other people but they may not figure it out. So I think "VersionManifest - Includes all submods.csv" should me mandatory and not under the tag "Optional Files" in the Nexus or "JK-Variants" file should include it or not request stuff from it.

Thanks for that - toss me your callsign and MW name if you don't mind ;)

I'll clean it all up and repost!

I finally got around to releasing mine and used similar instructions, so its more uniform with yours. If you wish to Justin, you can certainly use anything from it. I intend to keep updating it as time goes on.

I finally got around to releasing mine and used similar instructions, so its more uniform with yours. If you wish to Justin, you can certainly use anything from it. I intend to keep updating it as time goes on.

Sweet :) Can't wait to see it!

Since I have to fix the Manifest/MDD issues, I figured I may as well include the HBK-4SP and CTF-4X I mocked up last night - I didn't quite finish testing the Zeus-6Y Binary Laser, so, I'd be interested in checking what you did to compare ;)

You were adding in the hardpoints too, correct? I may be nipping those from you (if you don't mind) :D WITH FULL CREDIT - of course ;)

Hello JK, I am reporting a bug/issue with your variants. In my campaign my Locust LCT-3V lost his RA with his MG. After the mission I needed to replace the arm and the MG and the mech was 0,5tons overweight effectively can't refit the mech in it's stock fitting. Is there a workaround or can I scrap the mech? (i am playing stock only)

8F20C36483C085B88D2A0F0D7B89C22179C68C29

Sweet :) Can't wait to see it!

Since I have to fix the Manifest/MDD issues, I figured I may as well include the HBK-4SP and CTF-4X I mocked up last night - I didn't quite finish testing the Zeus-6Y Binary Laser, so, I'd be interested in checking what you did to compare ;)

You were adding in the hardpoints too, correct? I may be nipping those from you (if you don't mind) :D WITH FULL CREDIT - of course ;)

Yup indeed, hardpointdata was added for some. I couldn't find anything for the 6Y that would look like a shoulder mount though, but eh it does what it needs to do: Shoots from the RT location from a laser port. A custom prefab model would be preferred, but that may beyond my skills and for someone else to tackle.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...cal-readout-yet-another-variants-mod.1096879/