• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello Blackjack DB1 with +10% accuracy and 20% heat reduction.

This looks great!

I am hesitant to add modes that will cause issues with multi player, how challenging is it to revert back to standard.

So, how is this mod connected to No Guts No Galaxy?

Because, if it isn’t, a name change for the mod would be polite.

4. Since missiles stability damage is per missile, this needs to be changed in the individual weapon files (from 2 to 1, or even 0.75).
5. Custom variants are the exception in Lore; most of them are named and only 1 of each usually existed. The ratio varies by production amounts (ie: a locust variant would disappear into background noise; a Black Knight variant would be famous across the IS).
6. That's Battletech. :) Still lower than tabletop chance (1% in-game, 1/36 in tabletop).

@aedn - The 2N was not meant to be a 'Mech you run into - that should be Blacklisted from appearing in the game. I need to look at the mod and fix that post haste!

EDIT : Fix incoming. You can either sell the 'Mech (so it doesn't break anything) or add in the Star League folder and redirect the VersionManifest.csv to that folder - while also either removing it from the MDD file manually, or using the new upload.

Last edited:

It is a trade mark? I always thought it was simply a common phrased used in Battletech circles? If not, it can be indeed that the name has to be changed.

The 2N was not meant to be a 'Mech you run into - that should be Blacklisted from appearing in the game. I need to look at the mod and fix that post haste!

I don't know much about what is ok and what is not.

Have to make MDD changes for this, json is not enough I think. If you have this working and updated, I will update from your files, this time also your MDD.

BLACKLISTED in json will, if I have understood correctly, remove mech from salvage tho, but things like ER PPC will still be salvageable. What would be the right thing to do?

Last edited:
Some initial thoughts after playing with this mod through the mission on weldry.

1) Stability changes are good, but i still feel its to easy to knock down lights and mediums without taking out a leg. i have noticed that the AI actually has time/will brace if high stability meter much more often now, but stability seems to be an issue still.

2) still feels to easy to get mechs, i ran 8-10 random missions, plus argo, panzyr, and weldry(modded to skip tutorial/mines). ended up with 1 spider, 2 commandos, panther, treb, and a griffon 2n, in addition to the mechs provided by the story. salvage from mechs needs to be capped at 2 for head, 2 for leg and 1 for CT imo. As a side note, the 2N is OP, it comes with 4 DHS, so it breaks the game balance pretty badly. Small sample size, could just be lucky rolls, but getting 3 salvage in a single mission is problematic imo.

3) Economy still feels relaxed, with 3 salvage per mech seems like you can get to many mechs by doing random missions/buying from stores, and mission payouts seem higher without reputation with the houses(not counting restoration). Its a tough thing to deal with so understandable.

4) weapons are still skewed towards SRM/LRM, and with the increased + weapons in stores, damage spikes pretty hard because its easy to find them. Stability is still to high for LRM/SRM, and they need more spread on both called and regular shots if possible. Overall, i like the weapon changes so far, excluding the LRM/SRM issues.

5) Mechs: Overall nice to see new variants, but they are not super effective imo. While true to lore, they still lack effective damage when played by the AI. The heat changes do help the AI do more damage, but some custom variants would be ideal. Also, not a fan of the armor penalties with the shoddy/ramshackle status, makes various missions to easy in general.

6) Combat: Still to many headshots, with the potential to eliminate an opponent.

1. Could consider 25/50/75. What would you suggest? I kinda would like to keep light/medium mechs easier to knockdown as well. But I am open for ideas. And yes, AI actually understands when stability is low and tries to defend vs it. You simply could not notice it before as it went down anyway.

2. 2N will be fixed. JK probably knows more about variants than me so will wait to see. We could add salvage requirement to 4 parts. Contracts are also pretty easy, so it can be that additional difficulty in general has to be added. It is hard to lose mechs with the current difficulty. Any suggestions are welcome.

3. The next version will also scale repair costs and time per mech tonnage, and also operation costs will be based on tonnage. I have this version now under testing. Could also increase Argo operation costs even more. Another option would be to slightly decrease contract income. Suggestions once again more than welcome.

4. Have to think about this. I had a version which had less stab damage for LRM, but I was hoping to balance this with 20/40/60. Indeed, suggestions are welcome.

5. Yes, there should be "improved" variants for AI. I am slightly afraid to modify variants in case these are some how lore bound and everyone gets mad if those are changed.

6. There are many headshots. It was annoying as hell to me as well. Only issue is that if headshot count is decreased, who will be using medbays?

Thanks from the feedback.

Last edited:
Greetings MechWarriors!
Spinning up the KF-Drive for a jump to a more appropriate section of the forum.
-----
Jump complete.
Carry on MechWarriors.
Timaeus

This looks cool .I'll have to try it out.

A few suggestions not having played the mod and just following the discussion here.

Is it possible to mod out losing evasion from just being shot at? It seems like evasion would be A lot more useful as a tactic and you would still be able to counter it with sensor locks or knocking them unsteady (if you can hit)

Regarding stability damage .particularly if you are the above change perhaps stability hitpoints should be -20/0/20/40 . lights would be easier to rock but harder to hit.

Something I've wondered about in terms of economy. It would make sense to me for modified Mechs to be harder to maintain and thus more expensive. I have no idea how expensive they should be. Ideally it would encourage stock use but also not be overly punitive when running modified mechs.

I don't know much about what is ok and what is not.

Have to make MDD changes for this, json is not enough I think. If you have this working and updated, I will update from your files, this time also your MDD.

BLACKLISTED in json will, if I have understood correctly, remove mech from salvage tho, but things like ER PPC will still be salvageable. What would be the right thing to do?

My current plan for the JK_Variants is to move the Griffin into a new JK_StarLeague subfolder, while also removing the MDD entries that allow it to be used by the OpFor (but leaving in the entry to allow it to be manually added in a scenario)

The way I am 'trying' to do it, it shouldn't invalidate a game save if someone has the 'Mech - as the mechdef and chassisdef files still exist and therefore should allow anyone who captured one to keep it. However, anyone using the 1.02a mod (and forward) shouldn't see the Griffin 2N appear as a random encounter.

With a mod like this, I guess make a backup of the whole data directory?

I'm thinking of switching over mid game. I don't want to restart again, but the changes look good and the end game nerf would be nice.

Last edited:
1. Could consider 25/50/75. What would you suggest? I kinda would like to keep light/medium mechs easier to knockdown as well. But I am open for ideas. And yes, AI actually understands when stability is low and tries to defend vs it. You simply could not notice it before as it went down anyway.

2. 2N will be fixed. JK probably knows more about variants than me so will wait to see. We could add salvage requirement to 4 parts. Contracts are also pretty easy, so it can be that additional difficulty in general has to be added. It is hard to lose mechs with the current difficulty. Any suggestions are welcome.

3. The next version will also scale repair costs and time per mech tonnage, and also operation costs will be based on tonnage. I have this version now under testing. Could also increase Argo operation costs even more. Another option would be to slightly decrease contract income. Suggestions once again more than welcome.

4. Have to think about this. I had a version which had less stab damage for LRM, but I was hoping to balance this with 20/40/60. Indeed, suggestions are welcome.

5. Yes, there should be "improved" variants for AI. I am slightly afraid to modify variants in case these are some how lore bound and everyone gets mad if those are changed.

6. There are many headshots. It was annoying as hell to me as well. Only issue is that if headshot count is decreased, who will be using medbays?

Thanks from the feedback.

Id be reluctant to further raise the Argo Op Costs - you get her early, and paying that operations bill gets scary.

I heartily recommend -1 Stability on both LRMs and SRMs, as well as renormalizing them down to tabletop standards. That said, your accuracy changes and increased morale cost on called shots may make that unnecessary.

Loving having Bulwark be at the end of Guts - meaning Ive got some very hard decisions to make on pilot skills.

As to the accuracy issue, there is only a neg to hit a extreme range in vanilla. I adjusted this to 0 for short, 2 for med, 4 for long, 6 for extreme. Made the game feel so much better. Also there is no penalty in vanilla for moving, and shooting. I adjusted this as well ( believe 2 for walking 4 for jumping). I also think I upped the penatly for shooting at moving targets. 2 for walking 4 for spiriting and jumping. Last the broken red line showing you can shoot at an enemy but they are partial obscured also had no penalty. I change that to 4. These changes and a mod on nexus for the weapons ( brings them in line a bit but nothing huge at all ) made the game so much better! Nice looking mod btw!

Is it save capatitable?

This mod, like the streamers you're thinking of, were named after a popular saying in the Battletech universe. They have no claim to it what so ever and the mod doesn't seem to be named after them.

About mechanics of the mod, it seems to me that it further increases the gap between lighter mech and heavier mechs. There are no changes that benefit lights imo, only buffs to heavy mechs. Yes I am including the accuracy nerf which might on the surface seem like a slight light buff, as lights need near 100% accuracy to reliably backstab. Both the stability changes and the change to precision strikes / called shot mastery impacts lights more than assaults. As a light you kinda have to run + dmg lasers and focus the rear CT armor to be effective while an assault does just fine without called shots. Well that is one example, but the theme is that to do damage in a light you need a focused attack.

Last edited:
It is a trade mark? I always thought it was simply a common phrased used in Battletech circles? If not, it can be indeed that the name has to be changed.

This mod, like the streamers you're thinking of, were named after a popular saying in the Battletech universe. They have no claim to it what so ever and the mod doesn't seem to be named after them.
As far as I know, that "popular saying" only appeared in the cartoon and has been popularized by Daeron and Phil through using it for about a decade. Regardless, they are commonly using it in the Battletech community to identify their activities.

Unless they have trademarked it, there is probably nothing illegal in using the name (I say probably as I am not a lawyer). However, a lot of modding is politeness rather than legality (e.g. using other modders' work only with permission, even when the terms of modding the game make it legal).

I don't personally consider using this name without talking to the NGNG guys polite when it is the name of a popular Twitch/Youtube channel for Battletech games.

I don't personally consider using this name without talking to the NGNG guys polite when it is the name of a popular Twitch/Youtube channel for Battletech games.

I'll ask and if they don't like it, will change the name. I did not know that there are more people doing something with the name. It was simply the first phrase that came in my mind + ok description where the mod will eventually take us.

Last edited: