The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I guess Anders would react to the Angels like Otto redacted to his counterpart (and attempted to commit suicide) or.... he could go full Gandhi/Angelos/Molotov on them if that´s what you mean by an unexpected reaction.:eek:
No, I mean unexpected like it's never happened with another character before, Otto included.;)
So in other words.... Twilight is a better love story than Twilight!:p:eek: Well the first thing to fix Twilight would be to tone down the love triganle story and actually focus on actually interesting elements of the plot, like Werewolf-Vampire relations and how they work. Maybe have the Inquisition involved in a big part of the story.
I don't know how it'll work, but maybe one of the main characters should be an Inquisitor.
As for Anders and Kristen, I was making that meme toward them but it would probably be a completely platonic relationship even through I´m sure Anders is technically single at this moment and he broke up with Diana awhile ago (I just remembered Diana mentioned Anders as a boyfriend back in the End of History story arch). It would be a bad idea for Anders to have any romantic feelings for anybody at this point.:p:(
You're also ignoring the angry voicemail Diana left a couple updates ago, so they still have some feelings for each other, despite the official "friends from work" attitude.:D
Anders: I should of known the Inquisition was plotting to take over!
Force ghost of Hans (because why not.:p): Anders cant you see Count Dracula is evil?!
Anders: From my point of view the Inqustion is evil!
Force ghost of Hans: Then you are lost!
I find Hans cutting off Anders' limbs to be a bit awkward.:p
Oh, I didn´t know that, I never watched Supernatural so I don´t know anything about it.
The lore is sort of simple for the first few seasons, then it spirals out of control. I had to remove a lot of extra vampire lore because it wouldn't fit with what I wanted.
Oh, okay. I assume he must of been born and lived a lot later on than our timeline (1431-1476) to purge heretics in TTL
Actually, he never participated in the actual war. Pop culture just erroneously associates him with the Fifty Years' War because of his bloodthirsty nature.
Also Angela´s back! I´m wondering if were going to see Flashbacks through her eyes about what happend in the time she was away, maybe she did meet Annie with the Aliens.
There might be some flashbacks, but I won't say anything more. But she's in no shape to share them at this point.;)

Angela is back! Now we just need to find out what happened.

Angela is back. Is Demetrios part of the conspiracy? Maybe Angela is also now part of the conspiracy? Everyone is part of the conspiracy except for the kaiser and Anders?

I find Hans cutting off Anders' limbs to be a bit awkward.:p
Well Yoda in the Last Jedi did manage to call down a light bolt to burn down a massive tree so who knows what Force ghosts are capable of. And Obi Wan did say to Vader ¨If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine¨ before he died and became a force ghost.:p
Actually, he never participated in the actual war. Pop culture just erroneously associates him with the Fifty Years' War because of his bloodthirsty nature.
I see, are there still events that would influence the myths and legends of Vlad the Implar like him mass murdering despite him not being an inquisitor outside of the misconceptions? Maybe he still grew up like he did in OTL, only with Heretics kidnapping him and touting him due to his nobility, causing him to go mad and do his own mass killings independent of the Inquisition in adulthood. I´m going to assume he was a serial killer/mass murder that pop culture eventually came to associate with the Fifty Years War despite him not actually fighting in it.
If you consider being in a coma "back," then yeah.:p
Well ¨back¨ in this case= not showing up as a corpse. So even if she´s a vegetable (in terms of physical/emotional/mental health) she´ll still be sort of back.:p:eek:

Will we have biopics for Otto later in his life or after his death, because I´m what actors would play Otto in a biopic.:confused:

Also what would World War Z (the book and timeline, not the movie) and District 9 be like here since they deal with social issues and commentary in OTL?

I´m wondering if this story arch is going to have the Illuminati and the New World Order conspiracies outside of the government hiding alliens, I´m mean, this AAR is being played in a mod called New World Order.o_O There are also the conspiracies for [REDACTED] after 2001 that might be covered in this story arch.:p:eek:

I´m wondering what Breaking Bad would be like in TTL here since you mentioned Russian Drug Cartels and crime in the former Occupied Territories?

Last edited:
Angela is back. Is Demetrios part of the conspiracy? Maybe Angela is also now part of the conspiracy? Everyone is part of the conspiracy except for the kaiser and Anders?
The only thing I can say is that Demetrios isn't part of the conspiracy. As for your other questions...you'll have to wait and see.;)
Well Yoda in the Last Jedi did manage to call down a light bolt to burn down a massive tree so who knows what Force ghosts are capable of. And Obi Wan did say to Vader ¨If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine¨ before he died and became a force ghost.:p
But Hans cutting off his great-nephew's limbs would still be awkward.o_O
I see, are there still events that would influence the myths and legends of Vlad the Implar like him mass murdering despite him not being an inquisitor outside of the misconceptions? Maybe he still grew up like he did in OTL, only with Heretics kidnapping him and touting him due to his nobility, causing him to go mad and do his own mass killings independent of the Inquisition in adulthood. I´m going to assume he was a serial killer/mass murder that pop culture eventually came to associate with the Fifty Years War despite him not actually fighting in it.
That seems reasonable.
Well ¨back¨ in this case= not showing up as a corpse. So even if she´s a vegetable (in terms of physical/emotional/mental health) she´ll still be sort of back.:p:eek:
That doesn't mean she's going to wake up, though.:p
Will we have biopics for Otto later in his life or after his death, because I´m what actors would play Otto in a biopic.:confused:
There will definitely be biopics for Otto, though I'm not sure who would play him. Maybe Sebastian Stan could play a young Otto.
Also what would World War Z (the book and timeline, not the movie) and District 9 be like here since they deal with social issues and commentary in OTL?
The World War Z book would be mostly the same, except for a few details because of what changed in this universe. District 9 would focus less on the apartheid comparisons and more on the informal segregation minorities experience in the Reich (as well as the economic situation in the former Occupied Territories). Also, the aliens would land in Warsaw, because space can into Poland (but Poland cannot into space).:D
I´m wondering if this story arch is going to have the Illuminati and the New World Order conspiracies outside of the government hiding alliens, I´m mean, this AAR is being played in a mod called New World Order.o_O There are also the conspiracies for [REDACTED] after 2001 that might be covered in this story arch.:p:eek:
I'm not currently considering other conspiracies besides Inquisition conspiracies, but I can certainly consider them. However, the Illuminati and New World Order conspiracies have technically already been replaced with the alien conspiracy (this will become clearer later), and though the historical Illuminati still exists, I might not use it as a global conspiracy. And as for [REDACTED] conspiracy theories, I don't think I'll even do [REDACTED] since I already did it in my previous AAR.
I´m wondering what Breaking Bad would be like in TTL here since you mentioned Russian Drug Cartels and crime in the former Occupied Territories?
It would be mostly the same, except set in the former Occupied Territories. The Mexican characters would be replaced with Russians.

Purple Rain, Part 2

Demetrios' office - December 25, 1994, 10:00 AM

Anders and Magda sat in Demetrios' office as Demetrios looked at his reports and charts.

"Look, Demetrios," Anders said, "I'm sorry for last night. I may have been a little drunk."

"Alright, you're lucky I decided not to press charges or get a restraining order, Anders," Demetrios said, "I like to forgive people, but you're making it very hard for me. Even with your uncle around to clean up your mess."

"Boys, let's put this aside," Magda said, "How's Angie?"

"Presently, we have Angela listed under critical condition, comatose," Demetrios said, "There is complete unawareness of self or environment. There is no evidence of language comprehension, no evidence of voluntary responses to external stimuli. My apologies but... no one here can determine how Angela arrived at the hospital, administered and how she was attended to in such critical condition. Um... because of the absence of Angela's recent medical history, I am at a loss for prognosis. I can’t determine with certainty how long she’s been in this state."

"You haven’t told us why she’s like this," Magda said.

"We just don’t know, Frau Hansen," Demetrios said, "There are no indications of acute injuries, traumatic or non-traumatic, I can’t find any signs of degenerative or metabolic disorders. We have conducted every test possible."

"I’d like her examined for trace evidence," Anders said.

"She was bathed and cleaned before her admittance," Demetrios said, "Also, there is a situation which I don’t know if you’re aware of. The Athanatoi has notified us of the terms of Angela's living will."

"What did she say?" Magda said.

"Well, Angela is a doctor, like me," Demetrios said, "Her criteria for terminating life support is quite specific. She states that, um... if her Glasgow outcome scale lists her..."

"She doesn’t want to live in this condition," Anders finished.

"Both of us signed the will as her witness," Demetrios said.

Magda put her head in her palms. "Damnit, Angie."

10:30 AM

Anders found his cousin Melissa standing next to Angela, holding a crystal over her. She quickly noticed Anders’ arrival and moved to make room.

“I’ve been told not to call you Spooky,” Melissa said.

“By who?” Anders asked.

“Angie, just now,” Melissa said.

“Angie talked to you just now?” Anders said. “If she talked, the EEG would have moved.”

Melissa laughed. “Her soul is here.”

Magda walked over, and Melissa hugged her sadly.

“Hi Mom,” she said.

“I’m glad you could come, Melissa,” Magda said.

“Angie’s choosing whether... whether to remain or move on,” Melissa said, putting her hands over Angela’s body, “You can feel her. Here.”

Angela heard what they were saying. She saw Anders and Melissa standing on an island. She stood on a bridge that led to the island. The island was in the middle of the Danube. Behind her, Vienna was in flames. Ahead of her, helicopters circled the abandoned UN Headquarters. The bridge was rigged with explosives. Angela had the detonator in her hand.

“She’s not here,” Anders said.

“Anders, your anger and your... your fear’s blocking...” Melissa said. “...any positive emotions she needs to feel.”

Anders sighed. “Melissa, I need to do more than just wave my hands in the air.”

He left the room. Angela watched as he disappeared behind the buildings.

Arcadia Bar and Restaurant – 9:00 PM

Anders downed another bottle of beer, while Demetrios leaned back and burped awkwardly.

“Pardon me,” he said, “Look, I may have been a bit hard on you today—”

“It’s fine,” Anders said, “If my aunt says leave it, we should leave it.”

“Agreed,” Demetrios said, “Things have gotten so crazy these days, huh?”

“Tell me about it,” Anders said, “This is the weirdest Christmas I ever had.”

“Same,” Demetrios said.

“The only thing that would make it weirder would be if the Crown Princess dropped by,” Anders said.

“She’s planning on dropping by soon,” Demetrios said, “But she’s currently busy volunteering at an AIDS clinic in Cologne.”

“Well, looks like my Christmas can’t get any weirder,” Anders said.

Demetrios raised his glass. “To Angela’s recovery?”

Anders smiled and raised his glass too. “To Angie’s recovery.”

They clinked their glasses and drank. Almost immediately, Demetrios lost balance and slumped against his chair. Anders helped him sit up.

“Alright, I think that’s enough for me,” Demetrios said, chuckling, “You know, Angela would’ve lasted at least five more drinks.”

“That’s Angie for you,” Anders said, “Tough at everything, for reasons I don’t understand. She’ll make it through this, I’m sure.”

He got Demetrios out the door and called a taxi, helping him get inside. He handed a twenty mark bill to the driver, telling him to keep the change.

“Hey, thanks,” Demetrios said.

“I should be thanking you for helping Angie,” Anders said, “I know she’s in good hands with your team. Let me know if anything changes.”

“Will do,” Demetrios said.

Anders took off his jacket. “Oh, and here’s your jacket back.”

“Actually, you keep it,” Demetrios said, “Looks better on you.”

The taxi drove off.

Anders drove home and got out some masking tape. He tore off two pieces and put an “X” on his window, shining a lamp through it. He sat down, put on headphones, and pressed the play button on Angela’s Walkman, cycling through all of her tapes as he waited patiently. He didn’t know when he fell asleep, but he remembered waking up in the morning to sunlight streaming through his window. He turned off his lamp and went to the door to pick up the day’s edition of Die Zeiten. There was nothing inside from X. He tossed the paper away, ripped the tape off, and slammed his fists on his desk. Guess it was time for Plan B.

St. Eudokimos Hospital – December 26, 1994, 2:00 PM

Rudolf Froniker walked into the hospital, wearing a suit and bowtie, carrying flowers. He approached the nurse’s desk. The nurse had to stand up to see him.

“May I help you?” she said.

“Uh, Angela Hansen, please,” Rudolf said, trembling, “She’s my second cousin twice removed.”

“Froniker?” Anders asked through his earpiece. “You okay?”

The nurse took Rudolf’s flowers and led him to Angela’s room, where Rudolf saw Angela lying on her bed. While the nurse was distracted, Rudolf took a look at the charts.

“Hey, Anders,” he said, “This is some bad frakking juju.”

Lone Gunman – 3:00 PM

Ragnar Biers sat down and read the charts. Anders sat at another desk, staring at Angela’s Walkman again, while Rudolf stood and Reinhard Lander sat behind Anders.)

“Good work sneaking out these charts,” Ragnar said.

“Snuck ‘em in my pants,” Rudolf said.

“There’s plenty of room down there,” Anders joked.

Rudolf glared at him and sat down on the desk next to Ragnar.

"You look down, Anders,” Ragnar said, “Tell you what, you’re welcome to come over Saturday night. We’re all hopping on Usenet to nitpick the scientific inaccuracies of ‘Earth-616’."

“I’m doing my laundry,” Anders said, “And there’s Star Trek on, as always.”

“The chart shows abnormal protein chains in the blood,” Ragnar said, “The amino acid sequence is in a combination I’ve never seen before.”

He spun his chair around to a computer. “I’ve downloaded Angela’s medical data to the newest Lone Gunman.”

"Her name’s Skye, but she goes by the name ‘The Thinker’," Rudolf said.

“She’s a hacking genius,” Reinhard said, “Legend has it she’s close friends with Microsoft founder Melinda Saxberg, and the two of them hacked into the Tesla Dynamic mainframe.”

On the screen was a picture of Walter Scheel with phrases like "I am not a crook!" and "Let me make this perfectly clear..." The screen flipped to one that has a 3-D image of Angela’s DNA, as well as two other charts with DNA coding. The computer beeped twice, and sentences appeared in a chat box below. Ragnar and Reinhard read it and turned to Anders, worried.

“What?” Anders asked.

“The Thinker reports the protein chains are a result of branched DNA,” Ragnar said.

“Branched DNA?” Anders said.

“The cutting edge of genetic engineering,” Reinhard said.

“A biological equivalent of a silicon microchip,” Ragnar said.

“This is way beyond cutting edge,” Reinhard said, “This technology’s fifty years down the line.”

“What’s it used for?” Anders asked.

“Could be a tracking system,” Rudolf said.

“Developmental stages of a biological marker,” Ragnar said.

“You mean a high-tech identity card?” Anders said.

“Or something as insidious as grafting a human into something... inhuman,” Reinhard said.

The computer beeped again.

“Good theories, gentlemen, but all for naught,” Ragnar said, pointing at a protein data map, “This branched DNA is inactive. It’s waste product. Whoever was experimenting on Angela is basically finished. Now it’s nothing more than a biological poison.”

“Will she live?” Anders asked.

Ragnar looked at Anders and then Reinhard, who looked back solemnly.

“Um...” Ragnar said. “Her immune system has been decimated and, uh... I doubt even a healthy human body has the ability to fight this. Anders, there’s nothing you can do.”

St. Eudokimos Hospital – 9:00 PM

Angela sat on the bridge, the detonator still in her hand. Behind her, Vienna remained in flames. She heard bombs falling and guns firing. The gunfire gradually drew closer, and her thumb closed around the red button. On UN Island, she saw Elisabeth Alexandra facing her, wearing a light blue dress and a tiara.

“Angie?” she said. “Angie? I know you can hear me. It’s your friend, Alex. I’m here to watch over you. Help you find the way home. I know you’re far away from home tonight and that where you are is peaceful. It would be nice to stay, but Angie, you must leave here only when it’s time.”

Elisabeth Alexandra hugged her as Anders appeared.

“I’ll be here when you need me,” she said.

She turned and left. A nurse walked in, carrying a machine.

“Excuse me, sir,” she said, “I’m going to have to take some blood.”

She started taking blood from Angela.

---

Anders looked into an adjacent room, where he saw a man in an overcoat standing over a comatose old woman. The man looked back at him. The nurse put down a vial with Angela’s blood on the counter when a long beeping sounded from the other room. She looked up and saw the old lady had flatlined. The overcoat man was gone.

“Code blue crash cart!” she shouted, rushing to the old lady’s side with a few doctors.

“Red wave coming in!” shouted a male nurse.

“Let’s go!” the nurse said.

“Alright, let’s get an airway in!” a doctor said.

“B.P. 80 over 60 and dropping,” the nurse read.

Anders looked at Angela. The nurse closed the curtains around the old lady.

“ Alright, give me the paddles,” the doctor said, “200 joules. Clear!”

“Clear!” the nurse said.

The defibrillators went off. Anders noticed the vial had vanished.

“What do we got? … Let’s go again, 260, clear!” the doctor said.

“Clear!” the nurse said.

“Come on!” the doctor said.

He pulled back the curtain and saw the door to the outer hallway closing. The doctors and nurses, focused on restarting the old lady’s heart, didn’t notice as he ran down the hall and after the overcoat man.

“Hey!” he shouted.

The overcoat man jumped into an elevator and closed the door before Anders could stop it. He tried prying open the doors and pushing the button, but it was no use. He ran down the stairs and into the parking lot, where he saw the overcoat man turning a corner. Taking out his gun, he moved silently around the wall, but X ambushed him, pinning him to the wall and pressing a gun to his head.

“Didn’t expect you here till after visiting hours,” X said.

“There was a man,” Anders said, “He took Angie’s blood.”

“Forget him,” X said.

“Get that gun out of my face...” Anders said.

“This high-capacity compact Sig Sauer .40 caliber weapon is pointed at your head to stress my insistence that your search for who put your cousin on that respirator desist now!” X said.

“You ignore my call for help and then you expect me to do what you say?” Anders said. “You go to hell!”

“You got your uncle killed!” X said. “You got her killed. That’s not going to happen to me. You’re my tool, you understand? I come to you when I need you. Right now, you’re heading in a direction that can lead them right here.”

“What the hell are you talking about?” Anders said.

“You’re not supposed to know,” X said, “That’s the point.”

“I owe her more than just sitting around doing nothing,” Anders said.

“She was a good soldier, Humboldt, but there’s nothing you can do to bring her back,” X said.

“She’s not dead,” Anders said.

X laughed. “ Listen to you. Listen. You’re a damn schoolboy, Humboldt. You have no idea. No frakking idea!”

“Okay, then tell me,” Anders said, “Tell me!”

They stared at each other angrily. Then X loosened his grip.

“I used to be you,” X said, “I was where you are now, like your grandfather and great-uncle before you. But you’re not me, Humboldt. I don’t think you have the heart. Walk away. Grieve for your cousin and then never look back. You will be able to live with yourself, Humboldt... on the day you die.”

A door closed, and X looked to the sound. Anders ran in that direction before X could stop him. He saw the overcoat man and drew his gun.

“Imperial agent!” he shouted.

The overcoat man shot at him. Anders took cover behind a column. The man ran and opened a door to escape. Anders followed after him and turned down a hallway. Hearing a noise, he entered the laundry room and pointed his gun at the man, who had his back turned.

“Imperial agent,” he said, “Don’t turn around. You know I’m armed. Put your gun very slowly on the ground.”

The man did so.

“Put your hands behind your head and interlock your fingers,” Anders ordered, Turn right towards the machine and put your head on it.”

The man did so. Anders reached into his pocket and took out the vial.

“Face me,” he said.

The man turned around. Anders held up the vial.

“Who wants this?” Anders asked. “Who wants it?”

The overcoat man didn’t answer. Anders sighed.

“Alright, let’s go,” Anders said, “This way.”

They started walking. After a few steps, the overcoat man grabbed a cart and slammed it back into Anders. He then grabbed a metal pipe and beat Anders with it, forcing him to drop both his gun and the vial. The overcoat man grabbed the vial and prepared to run, but X appeared from behind him and twisted his arm, breaking it. He screamed in pain as Anders got to his feet.

“Stay there,” X ordered.

He pushed the man forward. Anders struggled to remain standing.

“Wait!” Anders shouted.

X pulled out his gun and shot the overcoat man in the arm. The overcoat man groaned. X looked at Anders again.

“You want to see what it takes to find the truth, Agent Humboldt?” X said. “You want to know what I know?”

X shot the man in the head and let his body fall to the ground. He handed the vial back to him.

“I’ll attend to this,” he said.

10:00 PM

“Discontinuing the respirator does not necessarily mean pulling the plug or ending her life,” Demetrios said, “Karen Quinlan lived for nine years after cessation of mechanical ventilation, though that is an extreme case. In my honest opinion, I do believe, however, that this is not the case with Angela, Frau Hansen. My guess is that she’s been in this state since her disappearance and will not improve.”

“Is she below the criteria established in her will?” Melissa asked.

“It’s possible branched DNA can be treated with designer antibiotics,” Anders said, “I think Waler, my dadwrote a few papers about it.”

Melissa, Magda, and Erich stared at him.

“Anders, I don’t know where you developed this bizarre diagnosis, but I do think you should let us do our job...” Demetrios said.

“Demetrios, you’ve never provided an answer as to why she’s here or what’s wrong with her,” Anders said, “We need to study her.”

“Anders, Angie’s not a piece of evidence,” Melissa said.

“She’s here because of unnatural circumstances,” Anders said.

“She’s dying,” Melissa said, “That’s perfectly natural. We hide people in these rooms because we don’t want to look at death. We have machines prolong a life that should, that should end. That’s a much more unnatural circumstance than any cause of her death.”

“Melissa, that’s very politically correct,” Anders said.

“That’s very human,” Melissa said, “We love her. This is right.”

“Angie has made our decision for us,” Erich said, “Anders, your relationship with your cousin is built on respect. Now, in the last year...”

Erich stood, almost crying. “I lost my dad. And God knows I don’t want to lose my baby girl. But like you, I have always respected her.”

He walked to the door and turned back. Magda joined him.

“Anders, is a moment for both of our families,” Magda said, “Join us.”

Anders shook his head. Magda, Erich, Melissa, and Demetrios walked out.

---

Angela noticed Elisabeth Alexandra standing on UN Island. The princess smiled sadly.

“I’m sorry,” she said, “But it’s time.”

Angela pressed the detonator, and the bridge exploded.

Is that good or bad? Why did it have to end on such a cliff hanger. I don't think you'll kill a main character though so I think that it's bad but she won't die

Is that good or bad? Why did it have to end on such a cliff hanger. I don't think you'll kill a main character though so I think that it's bad but she won't die
Remember Bernadette, Niederung, Engelbert, Hans, and Tatiana?;)

Well, they all died. And they stayed dead.:D
true, though they also ended their character arc, which I dont think she did. And you were very predictable with the civil wars and debuffs, so perhaps this Is trying to trick us into believing youre going to be predictable. Or I am trying to rationalize her still living, not wanting Anders to face another death (entirely possible too)

I find it amusing how she was admitted into the hospital, cleaned, and placed in a bed without anyone knowing. Someone at that hospital should be fired. :p

true, though they also ended their character arc, which I dont think she did. And you were very predictable with the civil wars and debuffs, so perhaps this Is trying to trick us into believing youre going to be predictable. Or I am trying to rationalize her still living, not wanting Anders to face another death (entirely possible too)
Maybe I would kill off a protagonist just to show the antagonist means business and to give Anders a greater reason to fight them.
I find it amusing how she was admitted into the hospital, cleaned, and placed in a bed without anyone knowing. Someone at that hospital should be fired. :p
cough RSB cough :D

X, you fool. Calling Anders your tool only guarantees that he'll surpass you.

Purple Rain, Part 3

Erich’s office – December 27, 1994, 9:00 AM

The smoking man tossed a document on Erich’s desk and picked up a pack of cigarettes. They were Mosley’s.

“Read it,” he said, “It’s all there. If you’re having trouble sitting on Humboldt, Assistant Director Hansen, I’m sure you know we’d have no trouble.”

He put a cigarette in his mouth and took out his lighter.

“Um…” Erich said, pointing to a sign that said “No Smoking.”

“How ‘bout I do it anyways?” the smoking man said, lighting his cigarette.

He took a few drags as he walked around the office and then stubbed it out in an ashtray. He then left the office through the side doors. A few seconds later, Erich heard a knocking on the main door.

“Yeah, come in,” Erich said.

Anders walked in and noticed the cigarette, still smoldering.

“Sit down,” Erich said.

Anders did so.

“I called you right up here because of rumors about an incident at the hospital last night,” Erich said.

“Is this about the tooth that was found in the cafeteria jello?” Anders said. “Or our little discussion in Demetrios’ office.”

“The rumor has it that you were involved in the laundry room?” Erich said.

“No, sir,” Anders said.

“A man was executed, Anders,” Erich said.

“I was with Angie,” Anders said, “Demetrios, Melissa, and Aunt Magda can back me up.”

“Traces of her blood were found at the scene,” Erich said.

“May I see the police report?” Anders asked.

“There is no police report of this incident, Anders, and there is no body,” Erich said, “You know that.”

“Since I am unfamiliar with any such incident, sir, no, how would I know that?” Anders said.

“Knock it off!” Erich said, getting to his feet.

“How’s it feel?” Anders said. “Constant denial of everything, questions answered with a question.”

“ I want to know what happened, damn it,” Erich said.

“Him,” Anders said, picking up the ashtray, “That’s what happened. Cigarette Guy! He’s responsible for what happened to Angie!”

“How do you know that?” Erich said.

“It’s a rumor,” Anders said, “Who is he?”

“It’s not your...” Erich said.

“Oh, you can have it all, you can have my badge and gun again, you can have the X-Division a second time, just tell me where he is,” Anders said.

“And then what?” Erich said. “He sleeps with the fishes? We’re not a Russian cartel, Anders. I know it’s easy to forget, but we work for the Bureau of Justice.”

“That’s what I want,” Anders said.

“As an Athanatos, Angie was a fine officer,” Erich said, “As her father, I respected her. We all know the field we play on and we all know what can happen in the course of a game. If you were unprepared for all the potentials, then you shouldn’t step on the field.”

Anders headed for the door.

“What if I... I knew the potential consequences but I... I never told her?” he asked.

"Then you’re as much to blame for her condition as... Cigarette Guy," Erich said.

Anders left the office.

St. Eudokimos Hospital – 3:00 PM

Angela lay on a table. She wore the same outfit she did in Vienna, though she didn’t look around to confirm. She couldn’t move her body, but she knew what the place looked like. It was the hospital room in Vienna where Colonel Glienke died. The place looked dull and empty, lifeless and sterile. She didn’t see anything outside the window other than a white void. She didn’t see anything out the door except a black void. Then Hans emerged from the void, dressed in his old Inquisitor’s uniform, or what was left of it. The tattered uniform was patched up and stitched together. Mud and dust stains lay over the front, next to bloodstains and patched up bullet holes. The seal of the Inquisition had been replaced with the symbol of the Resistance.

“Hello, Starmark,” Hans said, “It’s Ahab. People always say to me, ‘Life is short’, ‘Kids, they grow up fast’, and ‘Before you know it, it’s over’. I never listened. For me, I always focused on the here and now, and life went at a proper pace. Guess that’s what happens when you fight every day for your survival against the Angeloi. There were many rewards... until the moment that I knew, I... understood that... that I would never see you again... my little girl. Then my life felt as if it had been the length of one breath, one heartbeat. I never knew how much I loved my granddaughter until I could never tell her, until it was too late to repent. At that moment, I would have traded every medal, every commendation, every promotion, every opportunity for... one more second with you. We’ll be together again, Starmark. But not now. Soon.”

Hans saluted and walked back into the dark void. Elisabeth Alexandra appeared, wearing the same dress as before. She leaned over and whispered in her ear.

“Angie?” she said. “I know death is at arm’s reach tonight, but Angie? Your time is not over.”

St. Eudokimos Hospital cafeteria – 4:00 PM

Anders wolfed down his sandwich, while Melissa picked away at her salad.

“You know, Anders, you could spend the rest of your life finding every person who’s responsible and it’s still not going to bring Angie back,” Melissa said, “Whoever did this to her has an equal horror coming to them.”

“Including myself?” Anders said.

Melissa looked at him strangely. A woman walked up to Anders at the moment.

“Pardon me, sir, do you have change for the cigarette machine?” she said.

He checked his pockets. “No, sorry, I don’t.”

She smiled and walked away.

“What do you mean, yourself?” Melissa said.

“There’s a pack already here... Mosley’s,” the woman said, “Not my brand.”

She walked away. Anders stood up and pulled the pack out of the machine. He opened it and found a slip of paper inside that read “900 West-lusitanienstrasse.”

900 West-lusitanienstrasse – 5:00 PM

The smoking man sat in his chair, watching an old World War II movie. Screams and gunfire and explosions echoed around the apartment. On the table, his ashtray was filled to the brim with old cigarettes. His gun sat on the other side of the table as he dropped a newly-finished cigarette into an empty beer bottle.

He picked up a pack of Mosley’s when he heard a creak. He started to get up when Anders grabbed him by the back of his shirt and threw him back in his chair, aiming a gun at him.

“Sit down!” he shouted.

The smoking man looked surprised. “How’d you find me?”

“Shut up!” Anders said. “Tonight, I ask the questions! You’re going to answer me, you son of a—”

“Don’t try and threaten me, Humboldt,” the smoking man said, “I’ve watched chancellors die. The death of the Kaiser wouldn’t mean anything more to me.”

He put another cigarette in his mouth. Anders swatted it out of his hand.

“Why her?” Anders demanded. “Why her and not me?”

The smoking man didn’t respond.

“Answer me!” Anders shouted.

“I like you,” the smoking man said, “I like her too. That’s why she was returned to you.”

Anders pressed his gun to the smoking man’s forehead. “You should be the one to die.”

The smoking man relaxed, a sly grin on his face. “Why? Look at me. No wife, no children, no parents, no family, some power and influence, unlike you. I’m in the game because I believe what I’m doing is right.”

“Right?” Anders whispered. “Who are you to decide what’s right?”

“Who are you?” the smoking man said. “If people were to know the things I know, it would all fall apart. I told your uncle you shot the man in the hospital, but I didn’t really believe it. And here you are with a gun to my head. I have more respect for you, Anders Humboldt. You’re becoming a player. You can kill me now, but you’ll never know the truth...”

Anders squeezed the trigger, but he slowly put it down. The smoking man smiled and picked up another cigarette.

“...and that’s why I’ll win,” he said, “Don’t worry. This’ll be our secret. We wouldn’t want others to… start rumors.”

He lit the cigarette and inhaled again. Anders watched, half-disgusted with the smoking man and half-disgusted with himself.

X-Division – 6:00 PM

Anders finished typing and hit the print button. The printer fired up and spewed out one sheet of paper with text on it. He took the paper out and signed it.

To Assistant Director Erich Hansen ,
Please accept my resignation from the Athanatoi effective immediately.

Sincerely,

(signature)

Anders Humboldt

He leaned back in his chair and handed the letter to a passing agent. He then turned back to his office and started packing his things in a box. He took down the pencils embedded in the ceiling and his UFO poster on the wall. However, before he could reach his office supplies, Erich walked in and sighed.

“When I took up the Director’s offer, this is where they kept the copier,” Erich said.

“At least back then, it wasn’t just wasted space,” Anders said.

Erich held up the letter and tore it in half.

“What?” Anders said.

“It’s unacceptable,” Erich said.

Anders continued packing his books into the box.

“Look, I know you feel responsible for Angie,” Erich said, “But I will not accept resignation and defeat as self-punishment.”

“All the forensics, the field investigations, traveling the Reich, the eyewitness accounts... to still know nothing,” Anders said, “To lose myself... and Angie. I hate what I’ve become. To see the look on your face.”

Erich sighed and took his glasses off. He paced around the office.

“When I was eighteen, I, uh... I enlisted,” Erich said, “I went to Siam two years later in ’66, a few months after Sharon and I learned we were expecting Angie. I wasn’t drafted, Anders, I... I enlisted in the Imperial Marines the day of my eighteenth birthday. I did it on a blind faith. I did it because I believed it was the right thing to do. I don’t know, maybe I still do. The Director, back when she was just the Valkyrie, was there on my first mission, though she didn’t do much to reassure me. I’m sure the other boys in the platoon also had their doubts. I know my friend Mark did. Less than three days into my tour, our helicopters were ambushed by the Chaw Thai. They shot us out of the sky. Sergeant Schulz—Director Schulz’s brother—was killed instantly. We got to our feet, but the Chaw Thai had surrounded us. A ten-year-old boy walked towards my position, a gun in his hand. He killed Mark right before my eyes. Shot him right in the back of the head. I, uh…I immediately blew his head off from point-blank. Didn’t even hesitate.”

Anders stopped and stared at Erich, fully listening now.

“The Director rushed over and helped get me to safety,” Erich said, “She told me I did the right thing back there. I convinced her to continue the mission, and we completed our objectives, but that boy…I still remember that boy. Every day of my tour, I thought about him. I thought about what his parents might have been thinking. I thought about if he had any friends, any siblings. I thought about what I had done to them. I lost my faith. Not in my country or in myself, but in everything. There was just no point to anything anymore.”

He sat down. “One night on patrol, several weeks later, after the Director had left for Prague, we were, uh... caught... and everyone... everyone fell. I mean, everyone. I looked down... at my own body... from outside of it. I didn’t recognize it at first. It was so bloody and mangled, like the other dead soldiers there. I watched Karl strip my uniform, take my weapon and I remained... in this thick jungle... peaceful... unafraid... watching my... my dead friends. Watching myself. In the morning, the corpsmen arrived and put me in a bodybag until... I guess they found a pulse. I woke in a Bangkok hospital two weeks later.”

He turned to Anders. “I’m afraid to look any further beyond those experiences. But you? You are not. Your resignation is unacceptable. I will not accept it.”

He started out.

“It was you,” Anders said.

Erich turned back and nodded.

“You gave me Cigarette Guy’s apartment,” Anders said, “You put your life in danger.”

“Anders, every life, every day is in danger,” Erich said, “That’s just life.”

He walked out, closing the door behind him.

So looks like Angela didn't die or at least yet? Reminds me of Anne Frank's near death in Vienna

I like Cigarette Guy.
I think we found a A̶n̶g̶e̶l̶ M̶a̶x̶i̶m̶i̶s̶t̶ G̶a̶b̶r̶i̶e̶l̶ A̶n̶g̶e̶l̶o̶s̶ E̶q̶u̶a̶l̶i̶s̶t̶ alien traitor