• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SibCDC

Emperor of Gallispania
43 Badges
Nov 4, 2015
www.youtube.com
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
Hello and welcome to my first AAR on this forum. In this AAR I will be playing as Belgium in the latest Kaiserreich update (0.6), with all DLC's enabled. It will be based off of my YouTube playthrough, but will incorporate more story-like features. If you would like to check out the more action-packed playthrough, feel free to check it out on my channel.

This AAR will be part of a bigger Kaiserreich Canon, building a whole new world. That's why I'm not gonna touch events in other nations that much. I want everything to line up perfectly. Think of it as a sort of Marvel Cinematic Universe, but then instead of superheroes I'm using different countries.

LJrl52f.jpg

SibCDC's Kaiserreich Connected Universe (KCU):
Phase One:
"In Flanders Fields" - Belgium
"Pigs treat us as equals" - Canada & US
"The Golden Circle" - Cuba
"The Path of Peace" - India
Phase Two:
"Gott mit Uns" - Prussia
To recognize chapters relevant to Belgium in my other AARs, look out for this icon underneath the title of a chapter:
8M0wXUM.png

Chapters in this AAR relevant to other AARs in the KCU will also have an icon telling you another AAR fits into this story. This way, new readers and selective readers can easily go through a country's history in the KCU.

Suggestions for either game-elements or story-elements are very much appreciated and are always welcome.

So as to why I have chosen Belgium: well isn't that obvious, I am from Belgium. But also because it is a very interesting country, located in between the two major countries of the Kaiserreich mod: Germany and France. Belgium also provides a Focus Tree which gives the player a couple of expansion options into its neighbours. And as a victim of the Weltkrieg, it makes the story so much more interesting.

Well, let's get into it and I hope you enjoy this AAR.
13DQofF.gif

Table of contents:
Prologue: Flanders-Wallonia Anno 1936
Episode I: The Second Belgian Revolution (1st of January – 23rd of September 1936)
Episode II: Reconciliation (3rd of October 1936 – 31st of December 1937)
Episode III: Scrap of Paper (1st of January – 25th of April 1938)
Episode IV: Beginning of the End (1st of May 1938 – 31st of December 1939)
Episode V: Solvay Project (3rd of March – 30th of September 1940)
Interlude: Treaty of Brussels (11th of November 1941)
Episode VI: Shifting allegiance (12th of November 1941 – 10th of July 1942)
Episode VII: Beware the Russian Bear (15th of July – 26th of July 1942)
Episode VIII: The 18 Days' Campaign (26th of July – 12th of August 1942)
Episode IX: Operation Ragnarok (10th of August 1942 – 17th of January 1943)
Episode X: The Far Eastern Front (21st of July 1942 – 31st of January 1943)
Episode XI: Russian Winter (23rd of July 1942 – 2nd of February 1944)
Episode XII: the Battle of Holland (25th of December 1942 – 31st of August 1943)
Episode XIII: Operation Powder Keg (29th of April 1943 – 17th of August 1944)
Episode XIV: the Fighting Filipinos (11th of January 1943 – 7th of December 1944)
Episode XV: Warsaw Uprising (1st of August 1944 – 26th of February 1945)
Episode XVI: Race for Berlin (2nd of December 1944 – 7th of May 1945)
Episode XVII: Scramble for Africa (20th of January 1943 – 10th of February 1944)
Episode XVIII: Potsdam Conference (17th of July – 2nd of August 1945)
Episode XIX: Enola Gay (16th of July – 2nd of September 1945)
Epilogue: Iron Curtain

The Crimson Lion and the Golden Fleece:
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III

Chapters relevant to Belgium in my other AARs, in chronological order:
Pigs treat us as equals Episode II: the King's Speech (8th of April – 3rd of November 1936)
Pigs treat us as equals Episode X: Operation Flamenco (17th of May – 31st of December 1940)
The Golden Circle Chapter VIII: Moscow Mule (27th of May - 30th of November 1962)

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
7PmKqQI.png

With the defeat of the Belgian army during the Weltkrieg, the Germans vassalised Belgium and inspired by the speeches of Jules Destrée, Belgium was reformed to Flanders-Wallonia. A federal country with a high level of autonomy was set up in the previously mighty country. Adelbert I, the son of the German Kaiser, became the new leader and thus forced King Albert I of Belgium into exile to the United Kingdom, later to Canada. In addition, Germany took control over Belgian Luxemburg and the Congo, in return for Belgian control over French Flanders. The German Flamenpolitik, which priviliged the Flemish people above the Walloons and which was an extension of the German policy during the Weltkrieg, now made Flanders into a very self-aware area, but also turned the Walloons against the Germans, while looking more to their French-speaking brothers and sisters in the Commune of France.
Knipsel1.PNG

The Weltkrieg left the Belgian economy in ruins. Many of the big industrial areas had suffered under the economic consequences of war. After the war, King Adelbert tried his best to revitalise the economy by building the Adelbert Canal connecting the Maas/Meuse River to the North Sea and thus opening up Limburg for economic expansion. But Flanders-Wallonia was still heavily depending on German investments and with the loss of their pride jewel, Belgian Congo, they also lost a huge source of income. With an economic crisis in sight, many wonder how long the Flemish-Walloon economy will survive.

Political division in Belgium was already present before the Weltkrieg, with the differences between Catholics and Liberals, between Social Democrats and the Right and between Flemings and Walloons. But now there was also heavy opposition against the new German rulers, not only by Belgian royalists, still loyal to the exiled King Albert, but also by Walloon syndicalists who wished to join the Commune and by Flemish nationalists who wished to be independant or even join the neutral Dutch.

The question anno 1936 was whether the economy would survive an incoming crisis and whether the Belgian, Flemish and Walloon could effectively be united against the German occupier.

Last edited:
If Kaiserreich AARs aren't abundant already, at least AARs about Flanders-Wallonia aren't. Subbed and looking forward to it.

Welcome to AAR writing! An interesting and challenging task you have ahead of you, and I believe @Tom D. could have a tip or two.;)

EDIT: Ninja'd!

Excellent look at an underknown KR nation.

United against the Germans? :eek:
You'd be amazed what a little revolution in a small country can achieve...

If Kaiserreich AARs aren't abundant already, at least AARs about Flanders-Wallonia aren't. Subbed and looking forward to it.
Thank you. I think it should be very interesting story-wise.

Welcome to AAR writing! An interesting and challenging task you have ahead of you, and I believe @Tom D. could have a tip or two.;)

EDIT: Ninja'd!
Haha thank you. I actually know Tom in real life.

Excellent look at an underknown KR nation.
Thank you. It will be interesting for all of us I think, as this is my very first AAR.

You'd be amazed what a little revolution in a small country can achieve...

That's Entente or Syndicalist conspiracies against your benevolent German liberators! :p

It'll be interesting to see what path you and Belgium take and what happen next :)

Episode I: The Second Belgian Revolution
Episode I: The Second Belgian Revolution
1st of January – 23rd of September 1936
As early as January 1936, there were already signs that the economy was crumbling. On the 13th of January, strikes broke out in the Zolder mines, halting all industrial activity in the area. Under the leadership of the Cooperative of Zolder, the workers protested in favour for more humane working conditions. As a reaction, the government chose not to send in the Vlaamse Wacht, a loyal to Germany Flemish guard, but made some empty promises to the workers, effectively ending their strike in three days. On the 22nd of January, a memorial was held for the anniversary of the Antwerp killings. In 1935, two prominent members of the Antwerp worker's union were killed by German nationals, which led to a nationwide strike, which was struck down with heavy repression. A year later, the Cooperative of Ghent held a memorial. The government chose to not interfere, fearing it might bring back some black memories.

70w5BL9.jpg

But then it happened, on the 5th of February, the Stock Market of Berlin plunged into a financial crisis, and along with it, the German economy. Two days later, on the 7th of February, the same happened in Brussels. Black Monday as it was known by then, hit Flanders-Wallonia. The social and economic troubles of the early 1930's would now continue and even become worse. On the 10th of February, the Middenkredietkas declared its bankruptcy. The Middenkredietkas was the financial branch of the farmers' union known as the Boerenbond. With its downfall, a very important branch of the local economy was in danger. The government wasn't able to push through reforms, due to King Adelbert blocking all attempts. Soon banks were being closed in fear of the people withdrawing all their money. The political regime was in full retreat on the financial front. Angered by the response of the government, the potato farmers soon rose up and drove their tractors to the capital, Brussels. In an attempt by the Catholic Party, which always had supported the farmers, to settle the unrest, they allocated funds to support the Boerenbond.

On the 17th of February, the crisis got a whole new dimension. The day begun with planned celebrations in memory of King Adelberts ascendence to the throne after the Weltkrieg. At 12 'o clock, he came out onto the balcony of the Royal Palace, looking out onto the Warandepark. But suddenly a shot came from the crowd. The King was not hit, but panic soon arose. A rebel had shot a gun at him and shouted 'Vive la Révolution!' and 'Weg met de Moffen!'. Soon other men and women started to shout anti-German things and the crowd started to storm the palace. Luckily police forces were able to set a perimeter and control the masses. But the damage had already been done, all over Brussels, people started uprising. The Second Belgian Revolution had begun. The Germans were stunned by this sudden uprising and decided to let things calm down as they naturally do, but this time it would last longer than usual.

L0WxlAM.jpg

The revolutionairy wave quickly spread to other cities, like Leuven and Ghent, where students organised marches and sang both the Brabançonne, the old banned Belgian anthem, and the Vlaamse Leeuw, a Flemish nationalist song. In some Wallonian cities, like Mons and Charleroi, strikes turned into full scale rebellions, aided by syndicalist underground movements. In the aftermath of the economic crisis, the Société Générale, the biggest corporation of Flanders-Wallonia, dating back to the old days when Belgium and the Netherlands were one country, split up into multiple companies. As a result, an independant bank was formed. In the following weeks, a massive amount of people deserted from the German-led army. Many soldiers who fought in the Weltkrieg left with their guns and joined the rebellion. As a result, Flanders-Wallonia was low on manpower and the resistance now had well trained and well armed soldiers in their ranks.

Ddh8JQh.jpg

On the 8th of April, the 'Geuzengroep' was founded in the city of Antwerp. Centered around the harbour area, they were mostly an underground resistance group. An important decision soon came before the puppet government. Would they spend valuable resources on keeping Flemish and Walloon resistance cells seperated and instead of calming the population. King Adelbert decided that resources would be most valuable in keeping the people calm. The secret police would do the rest of the work. He couldn't have been more wrong. A first big blow to the government was the loss of the 20th train convoy on the 29th of April. A train transporting resistance members from Mechelen to Leuven was stopped on its way by rebels and the prisoners were freed. More civil unrest occurred on the 1st of May, MayDay or the Day of Labour, a day used by syndicalists to massively come onto the streets and demonstrate. As a result, a curfew was installed in Liège, Namur and Charleroi.

tz7SazH.jpg

On the 18th of June, the first combined Flemish-Wallonian resistance attack was orchestrated by a group of students from the Free University of Brussels, or ULB, called Groupe G. They effectively shut down some electrical railroad networks, having a devastating effect on the infrastructure. On the 23rd of June, another big resistance movement formed. The Secret Army (Geheim Leger/Armée Secrète) was composed of the veterans who came out of retirement or deserted from the Flemish-Wallonian army. They rallied in Poperinge, close to the French border in West-Flanders in order to avoid a German reaction involving large movement of soldiers. This army effectively drove back the German army in Flanders until they only had a presence in Flemish Brabant. On the 11th of July, the Guldensporenslag was remembered. But this time instead of using it as the traditional story of a Flemish peasant army victory against the French cavalry army, it was used to tell the story of the brave resistance members who drove back the German army to Brussels.

On the 21st of July, the old Belgian national holiday, the Walloons sent an official request to join up with the Flemish resistance. Reinstating King Albert became an important point on the agenda, as it was something the Flemish were keen on and it tempered their fear of Wallonian syndicalism. On the 25th of July, an accord was reached between the Flemish and Walloon resistance. An independant Belgium was now their official common goal. Eendracht maakt macht, l'union fait la force, unity is strength.

n25ZG4G.jpg

In an attempt to revitalise the economy and thus lower the turmoil in the country, a new economic doctrine was put forward: the Galopin Doctrine, named after Alexandre Galopin, an important figure in the industrial and financial landscape of Flanders-Wallonia. It was already far too late to calm the masses, but the tone was set for a new economic policy that would eventually continue after the revolution. On the 9th of August, the resistance took control of the German Administration Office in Mons, Hainaut, taking the governor and his family hostage. This forced the Germans to retreat from the province of Hainaut and fall back to Namur. On the 18th of August, Flemish forces with Walloon reinforcements were able to take Antwerp with its valuable port, but also with a German tank depot. More men and equipment, now also tanks, were added to the resistance army. The German army was now in full retreat to Brussels. On the 15th of September, the German army decided to dig in and fight the approaching Flemish army in Brussels, hoping they would hold out long enough for reinforcements to arrive from Germany. The next day, the resistance army launched a full scale attack on Brussels. Fighting from house to house, it prooved a very difficult battle for both sides, but in the end, the stolen German tanks gave the Belgian revolutionaries the decisive victory. At noon, resistance troops had reached the Royal Palace, and King Adelbert surrendered. On the 21st of September German troops stationed in southern Wallonia also surrendered. Two days later, all German troops had left the country. Belgium was born again.

Mt2bRF0.jpg

The revolution succeeded, but still a lot needs to happen. A lot of questions arose. When would the newly formed provisionary parliament hold elections? Will King Albert return from his exile in Canada or will the Belgian government choose for a Republic instead of a Kingdom? How will the new nation deal with the aftermath of Black Monday? But more important, what will Germany do in the coming months in regard to the reborn Belgian nation?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've enjoyed writing this very much. It is a lot of text, but a lot happened in the first year of this playthrough and the Kaiserreich mod is really filled with a lot of fun and interesting events and choices you have to make. Next episodes will probably be shorter text-wise and will include more screenshots from the actual game. I preferred historical photos for this one though, as it gives a kind of real feeling to it. Hope you enjoyed it and see you in the next episode.

Last edited:
I think one can say, without undue fear of contradiction, that 1936 was a year full of incident. ;)

A well paced update.

Belgium once more, the artificial state is back from the dead, let's celebrate :p! Hopefully the situation will soon stabilise, maybe that's something for a true Belgian Republic, no ;)?

Belgium once more, the artificial state is back from the dead, let's celebrate :p! Hopefully the situation will soon stabilise, maybe that's something for a true Belgian Republic, no ;)?

So basically the artifical state that was replaced by another artificial State is back again as an artificial state? :D

But Belgium is in a tricky situation! Surrounded by a furious Mitteleuropa on one side and the Syndicalists who feel snatched off a "proper" revolution on the other side. Who can Belgium befriend?

I think one can say, without undue fear of contradiction, that 1936 was a year full of incident. ;)

A well paced update.
Thank you :) Indeed a lot happened this year, partially caused by all the events coded into the Kaiserreich mod.

A republic in Belgium when a popular King is on the doorstep? Who knows ;)

So basically the artifical state that was replaced by another artificial State is back again as an artificial state? :D

But Belgium is in a tricky situation! Surrounded by a furious Mitteleuropa on one side and the Syndicalists who feel snatched off a "proper" revolution on the other side. Who can Belgium befriend?
Every state is in some degree an artificial state, but I agree that for Belgium this is more a case than in other countries. And yes the international situation is precarious, the elections will determine everything as to whether France or Germany will do something.

Sorry, I lost you at one of the many artificial states in that sentence :p. But basically yes!

A republic in Belgium when a popular King is on the doorstep? Who knows ;)
We could always close the door on the doorstep you know ;).

Episode II: Reconciliation
Episode II: Reconciliation
3rd of October 1936 – 31st of December 1937
Once more the Belgian flag waved proudly in the wind all over the reborn country. But the nation was still very much divided. Although the Flemish and Walloon people had cooperated against the Germans, there was no guarantee that they would stick together. And with the Germans gone, collaborators of the old regime were now targeted by angry civilians. Law and order was almost non-existent in some desolate places like in the West-Flemish countryside or in the Ardennes forests and the economy was still in a state of disarray. The politicians of the country had to reconciliate the different groups and they had to act fast. That’s why on the 3rd of October, the Belgian provisionary government negotiated with Germany to discuss the future of Belgo-German relations. This resulted in the Treaty of Arlon, named after the city in the part of the Ardennes which was still controlled by Germany. Belgium would be recognised as an independent country and would regain control of its pre-war borders, in return Belgium would rejoin the German military alliance, known as the Reichspakt.

QEUngid.png

On the 18th of October, elections were held. Important points during the election campaign were the future status of King Albert, the red danger that loomed all over Europe and the rest of the world and the answer to the economic crisis. Various parties held different opinions about each matter. The syndicalist Kommunistische Partij van België (KPB) under Julien Lahaut, the socialist Belgische Werklieden Partij (BWP) under Paul-Henri Spaak and the liberal Liberale Partij (LP) under Paul-Emile Janson were all in favour of republicanism, al be it everyone to a different degree. The conservative Katholiek Blok/Démocratie Chrétienne (KB/DC) under Paul van Zeeland and the paternal autocratic Verdinaso under Joris van Severen were in favour of the return of King Albert. According to Verdinaso, which was originally a Flemish nationalist party, the return of the King would mark the beginning of a Greater Belgium and eventually a political union with the Netherlands and Luxemburg. A Greater Belgium was needed to be protected against the syndicalist threat of the Commune of France.

2ggAhGU.gif

The elections eventually turned into a victory for Verdinaso, with their Greater Belgian idea against the syndicalist threat, they were able to surf on the wave of Belgian nationalism, which was still present after the recent revolt, and the red scare present in conservative but also liberal groups. Joris van Severen, the new Prime Minister, immediately started forming a new government. With Ward Hermans as Foreign Minister, Rene Lambrichts as Economy Minister and Paul Owerx as Minister of the Interior, Verdinaso now had full control over the state. One of their first actions was to start the construction of fortifications along the French border. In parliament, van Severen held an emotional speech about his plan of the Groote Kuisch, or the Large Cleanup:

“If we want to protect the Belgian nation, the Flemish and Walloon culture and identity, we must not only build a great wall of fortifications from Duinkerke on the Flemish coast to Arlon in the Ardennes, but we must also have a Grote Kuisch. This means that every one who is opposed to the democratic values of our great nation, must be dealt with!”

The speech was met with applause from members of Verdinaso and Rex and even some catholic MPs, but the syndicalist MPs were certainly not amused, knowing very well that van Severen had them in mind.

xQ58Mar.jpg

In January 1937, the military staff, together with the most important politicians of Verdinaso and the Commander in Chief of the Army, King Albert, discussed how to approach an invasion of the Netherlands in order to establish Belgian control over Zeeuws-Vlaanderen and Dutch Limburg. It was clear that the current Belgian army was too small to secure a victory, so the size of the army had to be increased. In the meanwhile, Joris van Severen would meet with German officials in order to secure their support for a future war with the Dutch. A big propaganda campaign was started to also promote the Greater Belgian idea and unify the people behind the Belgian flag once more.

BWxIq5s.png

By March of 1937, the catholic party agreed to a coalition in parliament. This strengthened the position of both Verdinaso and KB/DC. An agreement was reached, one of the priorities of the government would be to allocate additional funds to the Boerenbond. In addition the Galopin Doctrine was reprised to solve the Black Monday Crisis. Another major part was a change of the old Belgian constitution, as a result of which the weighted universal voting system was replaced by universal suffrage for both men and women. This was done to appease the BWP and prevent them from working together with the syndicalists. After snap elections in April of 1937, the new constitution was passed on the 15th of April. The elections reinforced the government’s position, although Verdinaso had lost some of its seats in parliament, it saw also an increase in Catholic seats. In early December, the government announced they would proceed to partial mobilisation in the wake of a approaching war with the Dutch.

1937 ended well for Belgium. Economic reforms slowly pushed the economy forwards again and Belgian nationalism was still on the rise. A war with the Dutch was coming soon and with German support, it would be an easy picking. Verdinaso managed to rid the parliament completely of syndicalists and united with the catholic party in order to gain a stronger grip on politics.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This episode was fun to write due to it being more political than last one. I hope you enjoyed it and feel free to give me feedback on my stories.

Last edited:
What else will be able to unite Flemish and Walloon people than a war against the Dutch. Although the borders will really look horrendous in my opinion with Nederlands-Limburg, it is acceptable because it's for the greater good of the Greater Belgian State.

What else will be able to unite Flemish and Walloon people than a war against the Dutch. Although the borders will really look horrendous in my opinion with Nederlands-Limburg, it is acceptable because it's for the greater good of the Greater Belgian State.
What do you mean the borders will look horrendous, the borders will be like they were always meant to be :p Those Dutchies will never see it coming...

So the big victor is Germany? :D Now having an ally protecting their flank, but with higher unity and loyalty to Germany? That's all good, they will help you in the quest for Greater-Belgium.