• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATOdinson

Recruit
Apr 25, 2018
The game caused 2 bsod and now my gpu is badly damaged. It artifacts, causes the screen to flash on and off then inevitably crashes the computer to bsod. There has to be a way to get reimbursed for a replacement card. This is ridiculous.

Its not their fault that your GPU died.

Any program or game that would have used your GPU at 100% would have done it, because it was faulty. I have an image of one of my old Cards that i love to use for exactly this

https://i.imgur.com/9cMOPpq.jpg

There was exactly one game that overheated my GPU and killed it because of this. Supreme Commander 2. The reason was not the game, it was the dust.

So I suppose it is entirely coincidental that this am it was fine bit the moment I play this one, a game others have reported the same exact issue, it was damaged. I suppose it it coincidental as well that each instance I tried to lauch the game the card became less and less stable.

Have you tried borderless window mode as opposed to full screen? I encountered similar issues with Echo and Battlefield 1, when running in 1440p. Also, cap your refresh rate to 60Hz, to alleviate excessive "empty running" your cpu on the menu screens.

Also, I highly doubt your gpu was damaged. Nvidia GTX series has in built throttling to prevent excessive currents and heat, it will automatically throttle long before you can fry your gpu, unless you have explicitly disabled these features in oc software.

Not at all coincidental, Lazerus is entirely right.
The game taxed your hardware, your hardware deteriorated due to being made to work that hard and eventually failed. It sounds to me like your BSOD issues were likely due to the GPU overheating but you didn't realise and repeated the process until it caused physical damage.

The game causes high GPU load because there is no FPS cap and the unity engine for some reasons appears to massivel waste computational ressources if you allow it to. I always find it amazing how hard unity engine games are on the GPU in games with, let's say, not exactly high-end graphics (like Battletech) when AAA with awesome graphics don't turn my videocard into a space heater.

There should have been an FPS cap option in the graphics options and it should have defaulted to 60. Didn't anyone at HBS notice the massive GPU load during testing?

That being said, video cards are not supposed to break just because you cause some heavy load. The cooling system and internal safety mechanisms (e.g. automatic clockdown) shoud make sure of that. If a game causing heavy GPU load breaks you GPU then your videocard was probably on its way out anyway. RMA it if possible.

So I suppose it is entirely coincidental that this am it was fine bit the moment I play this one, a game others have reported the same exact issue, it was damaged. I suppose it it coincidental as well that each instance I tried to lauch the game the card became less and less stable.
Not at all coincidental, Lazerus is entirely right.
The game taxed your hardware, your hardware deteriorated due to being made to work that hard and eventually failed. It sounds to me like your BSOD issues were likely due to the GPU overheating but you didn't realise and repeated the process until it caused physical damage.
yeah exactly. its literally impossible for software to directly shred your hardware. the only possible way is to abuse faulty hardware, so like bringing it to its knees through overheating. When overheating there is normally a safety shutdown at 110°C or so, so the screen turns black, GPU cools down, screen turns back on.

BSOD means that something literally broke because it was faulty in the first place. Had that in Warframe, played 3 years with the same card, and on its final day i could see weird things happening. enemies falling through the floor and whatnot. Shortly after that i got a BSOD since the driver wanted to use something the hardware no longer provided. Without a Graphics Driver i was able to use windows just fine, i just couldnt play anymore until the replacement arrived

First impulse...sue...quite incredible really.

From a legal perspective I highly doubt there are successful cases of "users" successfully suing a games developer for hardware failure.

Do you have the time and the money to go in that direction?

What is more likely is what a few people here have said; "That a variety of factors lead to the hardware failure and the game could be the straw that broke the camels back. But the idea that you can specifically point to the game and attribute 100% blame is unfortunately highly unlikely."

All above doesn't change the fact that game is far to taxing on your hardware for what it is. Pretty explosions and landscapes not withstanding.

It's not taxing everyone's hardware..... heck I ran it today on a super underspecced machine and my fan wasn't even howling. Seems odd that certain people are seeing these issues and others aren't. I hope they can figure out the common thread

There should have been an FPS cap option in the graphics options and it should have defaulted to 60.
Vsync is in Options -> Video -> Advanced -> scroll down right column. I believe Vsync was mentioned in the Support FAQ? Yes, there is a known issue:

• Vsync toggle does not always register as expected or can even be opposite what you expect. Depending on what other settings are changed, the actual state of Vsync vs what the checkbox is saying can be incorrect. Until this is resolved, if you need to ensure Vsync is enabled we suggest turning it to "on" instead of "application controlled" in your graphics card settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.