• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Gamesguy

Second Lieutenant
25 Badges
Apr 23, 2007
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Prison Architect
  • BATTLETECH
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Magicka
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
Release Day Hard Mode Mod

Warning, I have not balanced this, so you may get crushed by the AI and lose the campaign. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Download here:
https://nofile.io/f/8wXv4EwcVFD/HARD+MOD.zip

Increases campaign difficulty be changing the following settings:

- Rebuilding a mech now requires 5 pieces of salvage instead of 3
- Center Torso Destruction only has 50% chance to drop a piece of mech salvage
- Poorly maintained AI enemy mechs now have more armor(25%-> 50%, 50%-> 75%, 75%->100%)
- Turret generator has triple the hitpoints(100 -> 300)

AI behaviors seem to have changed as well due to the higher armor values. Whereas before the AI would charge in recklessly, now they seem to brace more.

Instructions:
This Mod will overwrite the following files, BACK THEM UP FIRST:

These two files must be restored to default for multiplayer to work!

DRIVE:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\buildings\buildingdef_turretGenerator.json

DRIVE:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\simGameConstants\SimGameConstants.json

BACK UP THIS ENTIRE FOLDER(This folder does NOT affect multiplayer compatibility):
DRIVE:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\contracts

Extract into
DRIVE:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets

Overwrite all
Launch game

Last edited:
How did you change this: Poorly maintained AI enemy mechs now have more armor(25%-> 50%, 50%-> 75%, 75%->100%)?
also do you just replace the files (after saving the original somewhere?)
and where did you find the - Rebuilding a mech now requires 5 pieces of salvage instead of 3; I wanted to change it to 4.

and did you notice in the steam folder there are files called simgameconstants_base ... _hard _medium

Engaging JumpDrive; prepare for HyperSpace jump.

Jump successful, destination achieved.

MechWarriors, ready for combat!

Ive been comparing the hard file compared to the regular and basically the increase the difficulty with Everything, costs of everything, time, experience gained etc etc ... even lethality from being incapacitated.

- edit - I see its called defaultmechpartmax 5 or 3 for number of parts needed to build a mech.
I think the hard mod in the game files has it set to 8 parts needed (looks like a pretty tough mod in the game files; also with a .5 recovery chance.

would take forever to build a mech.

Last edited:
Ive been comparing the hard file compared to the regular and basically the increase the difficulty with Everything, costs of everything, time, experience gained etc etc ... even lethality from being incapacitated.

- edit - I see its called defaultmechpartmax 5 or 3 for number of parts needed to build a mech.
I think the hard mod in the game files has it set to 8 parts needed (looks like a pretty tough mod in the game files; also with a .5 recovery chance.

would take forever to build a mech.
The unfinished hard mode in the game files do not increase enemy difficulty, mine does. That makes a pretty huge difference.

where did you find the files to change "Poorly maintained AI enemy mechs now have more armor(25%-> 50%, 50%-> 75%, 75%->100%)" is it with the contracts?

Each json file in the contracts folder defines what kind of enemies are spawned. I just used a batch editor to edit all the 25% enemy modifiers into 50%, 50% into 75%, and removed the 75% modifier.

The actual "poorly maintained" modifiers themselves appear to be hardcoded into the game somewhere, I didn't want to start messing with the sql files so it was just easier to edit every single mission.

Thanks for the Mod Gamesguy, trying it out tonight. I also moved the AIcritchance in the combatconstants up to .9.
Can you tell me where you changed the parts to salvage from 3 to 5. I want to keep that one how it is to start.

Played some tonight. Tough to say if the changes were implemented though. I am in the first couple of procedural missions. They ran fine. The armour reduction in the tool mouse overtip and on the mech or vehicle the actual reduction was the same as the text (75% for some, 50% for others) Not sure if this means the armor reduction is working or not? Only saw one mech in two missions so can't confirm about the CT destroyed change. My parts for salvage remained 3. I had to chance the simgameconstants to get it to 5.

Played some tonight. Tough to say if the changes were implemented though. I am in the first couple of procedural missions. They ran fine. The armour reduction in the tool mouse overtip and on the mech or vehicle the actual reduction was the same as the text (75% for some, 50% for others) Not sure if this means the armor reduction is working or not? Only saw one mech in two missions so can't confirm about the CT destroyed change. My parts for salvage remained 3. I had to chance the simgameconstants to get it to 5.

i didn't bother changing the tooltip, but the armor values are definitely changed.

It might be better to simply override the default files rather than trying to use VersionManifest.csv, editing this file breaks the multiplayer.

EDIT: I changed the mod so it simply overrides the default files rather trying to do the half assed mods folder solution using versionmanifest(which breaks the multiplayer).

EDIT #2: Ugh changing ANY of these files except contracts prevents multiplayer. So you'll have to manually restore the default files when you want to play MP.

Last edited:
I can confirm armor increases or working in this now, which is awesome. I think the CT destruction does not work as intended. I have CT'ed 7 mechs and all have dropped 1 salvage. I think this gives you a 50% chance of losing your mech it gets CT'd.

Thanks for the mod GG

I can confirm armor increases or working in this now, which is awesome. I think the CT destruction does not work as intended. I have CT'ed 7 mechs and all have dropped 1 salvage. I think this gives you a 50% chance of losing your mech it gets CT'd.

Same here. "DestroyedMechRecoveryChance" : 0 and I keep getting parts from CT'd mechs

Just tested it out. Just sat there and let my lance get CT'd. Two of my mechs could not be recovered. I think this confirms that CT destruction sets your chance to recover your destroyed mech.

What happens to the destroyed mech? Do its components go into the salvage pool or back into your inventory? Do you get 1 mech part back?