The Hohenzollern Empire 5: Holy Phoenix - An Empire of Jerusalem Megacampaign in New World Order

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don't know about Anastasia, as I never watched it, but I would think it would be a joint Russian-Roman production and be a live-action biopic of Sbyslava's life, maybe even Hitler's first live-action production (yes, I never thought I would be writing this sentence:p).
Yes that is one heck of a sentence to write here, especially since today is actually the day of Hitlier´s birth.:eek: At least, for my timezone.
Also what would the films of the ¨Hitlier Renaissance¨ like Aladdin, Hunchback of Notre Dame and Mulan be like here? I guess that´s more something to talk about for the 90s update then here isn´t it.
The movie received universal acclaim from film critics, and Karl Chaplin became a national celebrity who toured the rest of the free Reich giving speeches in defense of meritocracy and in denunciation of fascism. When Constantinople fell in 1941 and most of the Reich fell under Angeloi occupation, he was arrested by Angeloi secret police and brought before Markos Angelos, who promised to spare his life if he used his fame to convince the people of the Reich to swear loyalty to the Angeloi. Karl Chaplin chose death, and he was executed the next day in front of the Brandenburg Gate. His death would make him a martyr for the Loyalist cause, galvanizing resistance to the Angeloi.
Aw, that´s quite the poor fate for Chaplin here.:( At least he died on a high note and for the progress of liberty against tyranny.

I take it that Scandinavia will end up becoming this world’s equivalent of Canada once it reunites since it has heavy ties with the Reich and seems to have formed good relations with many countries. It’s also the Northen neighbor to the World’s superpower like Canada and used to have conflict with them (1812 In OTL) before becoming allies in addition to back and forth cultural influences.

Also you mentioned Thedor Seuss Gisesl or Dr. Seuss (I assume his Greek here due to his name) in the 1950s and I was wondering what’s he did during and between the World Wars and how his works would be influenced by them. In OTL Horton Hears a Who was actually inspired by the atomic bombings in Japan and was meant as an apology for the Racist views he expressed toward Japan during the war (making that anime parody scene in the 2008 movie super ironic in an almost horrific way.:p) and I figured out that he died in 1991 meaning he’d live through WW3 too. So I’m wondering how his work and career would be influenced in TTL.

Last edited:
Yes that is one heck of a sentence to write here, especially since today is actually the day of Hitlier´s birth.:eek: At least, for my timezone.
Ironically, it's still April 20 over here, or 4/20. We're making a lot of weed jokes.:p
Also what would the films of the ¨Hitlier Renaissance¨ like Aladdin, Hunchback of Notre Dame and Mulan be like here? I guess that´s more something to talk about for the 90s update then here isn´t it.
They would also be the same, only with more historical accuracy. And I'll be sure to expand on them in the 90s update.
I take it that Scandinavia will end up becoming this world’s equivalent of Canada once it reunites since it has heavy ties with the Reich and seems to have formed good relations with many countries. It’s also the Northen neighbor to the World’s superpower like Canada and used to have conflict with them (1812 In OTL) before becoming allies in addition to back and forth cultural influences.
I was actually intending for that analogy. It will become more apparent the further we progress towards reunification.
Also you mentioned Thedor Seuss Gisesl or Dr. Seuss (I assume his Greek here due to his name) in the 1950s and I was wondering what’s he did during and between the World Wars and how his works would be influenced by them. In OTL Horton Hears a Who was actually inspired by the atomic bombings in Japan and was meant as an apology for the Racist views he expressed toward Japan during the war (making that anime parody scene in the 2008 movie super ironic in an almost horrific way.:p) and I figured out that he died in 1991 meaning he’d live through WW3 too. So I’m wondering how his work and career would be influenced in TTL.
His initial books would mostly be the same, but after the war he'd start drifting towards antiwar themes. HIs style would be a little darker as well. I think I'll add some more thoughts tomorrow.

The Lone Gunmen, Part 1

Over Mexico, near the Fusang border – December 25, 1993, late night

Xocoyol Mazatl flew through the clouds in his Shenyang J-9 fighter jet on his regular patrol above the Mexican border. He loved flying, but he hated having to fly at night, especially in a rickety old J-9 like his. His superiors claimed it was the best plane in all of Mexico, but they probably just said that because the better ones were destroyed back in Desert Storm. He enlisted in the Mexican Air Force too late to participate in Desert Storm, which was probably a gift from the gods above. His two brothers were killed in the war, one in the “highway to hell” incident and the other at Albuquerque. At least he wouldn’t suffer the same fate.

Just as he thought that, he noticed a strange light bobbing in and out of the clouds, drawing close to him. He glanced at his radar, which displayed nothing out of the ordinary.

“Base, this is patrol six,” he radioed, “Request I.D. on object 25 miles from my position bearing three-four-one.”

“Negative on object,” a base officer replied, “Are your bearings correct?”

Xocoyol heard a loud humming noise from nearby. He looked around. “I swear it was there a second ago. Maybe it’s one of them Roman stealth—”

Suddenly, a bright flash of light illuminated the cockpit. Xocoyol screamed in panic.

“We have radar confirmation!” the officer shouted. “You’re under attack! Repeat, you’re under attack!”

“I can see that!” Xocoyol shouted. “What in Tlaloc’s name is that?!”

The officer could only offer a string of curses in response.

Xocoyol frantically put on his helmet and activated his targeting system. There was another bright flash as the UFO zoomed past and Xocoyol locked on.

“I’m locked on!” he shouted. “Xipe-Totec, guide my aim!”

He fired. A missile arced out from his jet and shot towards the UFO. For all of its advanced aviation technology, it could not dodge a few feet of metal and explosives heading its way. A huge fireball erupted in the sky.

“Yes!” he cheered. “Huitzilopochtli is great! I got him!”

Central Powers Surveillance Station, outside Fenghuang, Fusang

The officers continued sleeping, even as the radio buzzed with frantic calls and alerts. The interior lights flickered, and outside, night briefly became day. The UFO slammed into the desert outside, causing a loud explosion that finally woke up the officers.

“我的天,” Officer Liu said.

Officer Shen sat down at the radio and picked up the headphones.

“This is Nanyue to Hongyue,” he said, “We’ve got a downed plane at camp perimeter.”

“This is Hongyue,” the radio said, “That’s a negative, we have nothing in the sky at this time.”

Shen looked back out the window. He turned back to the radio.

“Well, we’ve got something down here,” he said, “Advise Medivac unit to be on stand-by, we’re going to check it out.”

“好,” the radio said.

Liu and Shen got up and put their hats on. Liu grabbed a fire extinguisher, while Shen got a first-aid kit.

“Medivac One, Medivac One, this is Hongyue,” the radio said, “Vector one reports downed aircraft in their area, over.”

“I didn’t sign up for this,” Liu muttered.

“Yeah, well that’s not part of my job description, is it?” Shen pointed into the sky.

They watched as another UFO descended from the clouds and hovered over them.

“Please tell me I’m not drunk,” Liu said, “Because I definitely didn’t order that as a Christmas gift.”

“You’re not,” Shen said, “That is some bad frakking juju.”

Route 100, outside Hermannstadt, Siebenbürgen – February 18, 1994, 12:20 AM

An unmarked truck drives down the road. Inside, Miklos Ranheim sat in the drivers’ seat, taking a sip from his coffee every few minutes. His eyes focused on the empty forest road, as they had for the last few hours.

“Break, breaker, this is Big Flight, anybody out there with me, come back to me, over,” a man said on his CB radio.

“I read you loud and clear, this is Bertha Blue, come on…” a woman replied.

Frustrated, Miklos turned on his radio.

“From Kronstadt, it’s the Grand Old Kron on WSM Radio 650,” the DJ said, “Brought to you by Friedrich’s Headache Powder. When the night’s been too long and the party’s been too hardy, Friedrich’s Headache Powder will straighten you right out. And you have my word on that. Good evening…”

Suddenly, the radio was filled with static. The channel rapidly changed, the dial spinning through frequencies on its own. Miklos fiddled around with the controls, but to no avail. Frustrated, he turned it off.

“I saw it, it was cigar-shaped, red and green lights, fast as hell,” a man said on the CB radio.

“I saw three of them flying over Hermannstadt County,” a woman added.

“Right, right, and six troopers were chasing them down 22!” another man said. “Whoa, I see one now! And he’s over the watertower!”

Miklos looked at the CB radio just as he heard police sirens. A police car sped by his truck, disappearing into the night again.

“I see him too!” the woman said. “Red and green lights, just like you said!”

The CB grew garbled, the voices covered with static, before Miklos shut it off. And that was when everything else suddenly shut of as well. The headlights went out and the engine unexpectedly died, and the truck skidded along the road. Miklos desperately slammed on the brakes and tried to steer the truck off the road. The truck finally came to a stop, and Miklos grabbed his shotgun and flashlight and got out. A loud hum permeated the air, raising the hairs on Miklos’s neck. He loaded his gun and walked around to the back. However, something drew his attention to the sky.

Hovering above his truck was a large UFO, its underside covered in red and green lights. As it just hovered there, the cargo doors behind Miklos swung open, its locks snapping apart as if under the influence of a strong magnetic field. Inside were several brown boxes. He spun around and aimed the flashlight at a pile of rustling bushes nearby. The flashlight went out. Feeling something was watching him, he aimed his shotgun and fired three times.

9:21 AM

Anders pulled out a Geiger counter from his backpack and started walking around. Nearby, Angela picked up a shotgun shell from the ground and put in an evidence bag. Other Athanatoi agents walked around the area, gathering evidence and taking notes with journals and recorders.

“From the trucker’s description, the shape he fired on could conceivably have been a wolf,” Angela said.

“Conceivably,” Anders said.

“The Imperial Weather Service last night reported atmospheric conditions in this area that were possibly conducive to lightning,” Angela said.

“Possibly,” Anders said.

The clicking from the Geiger counter grew stronger, and the meter went off the charts at a leaf that was crushed by something. Meanwhile, Angela took a picture of another shotgun shell.

“It is feasible that the truck was struck by lightning, creating the electrical failure,” Angela said.

“It’s feasible,” Anders repeated.

He opened an evidence bag and put the leaf inside. Angela stood up.

“And you know, there’s a marsh over there,” Angela said, “The lights the driver saw may have been swamp gas.”

“Swamp gas?” Anders said.

“It’s a natural phenomenon in which phosphine and methane rising from decaying organic matter ignite, creating globes of blue flame,” Angela said, walking towards him, “And Siebenbürgen is known for reports of blue flames appearing out of nowhere. Ties in nicely with local lore.”

“Happens to me when I eat Herman Hunds,” Anders said, “How can a dozen witnesses including a squad of police vehicles in three counties and one large city be hysterical over swamp gas?”

He got up and walked back to the car as Angela followed.

“I’ve investigated multiple sightings before,” Anders said, “The Bosporus, Lake Casteilla, Area 51 in Arabia. None had this much supporting evidence. Anecdotal data, exhume residue, radiation levels five times the norm.”

“Anders, none of that evidence is conclusive,” Angela said.

“The only question for me is, why was the truck driver singled out?” Anders asked.

“Isn’t it more plausible that an exhausted truck driver became swept up in the hysteria and fired at hallucinations?” Angela said. “I mean, after all, the road can play tricks on you.”

“Yeah, it can play tricks on you,” Anders said, “But not like this.”

He put the Geiger counter to the leaf again, and Angela watched as it howled again.

Hammersdorf Police Station, Hammersdorf, Hermannstadt – 10:51 AM

Miklos sat in an interrogation room with Angela and Anders. He scratched impulsively at rashes all over his face.

“I don’t know why they’re holding me,” he said, “This ‘firing a weapon on a county road’ charge is a lot of house manure. I’m a vet. I fought at Ruse. I know how to handle a gun.”

“Herr Ranheim, I’d appreciate it if you could elaborate on the report you filed last night regarding your encounter,” Anders said.

Miklos rubbed his eye and sighed.

“Like a saucer and green and orange lights,” Miklos said.

“Last night, you said it was cigar-shaped and black and red,” Anders said.

Miklos coughed. “I didn’t ask for this to happen. All I want to do is deliver my shipment of auto parts and forget…”

He coughed profusely. Angela handed him a glass of water.

“Pardon me for asking, but how long have you had that cough?” she asked.

“Why?” Miklos said.

“I’m just concerned, you said you were a veteran,” Angela said.

“What’s that got to do with this?” Miklos said.

“The cough, the fever, the rash,” Angela said, “Those are all symptoms of Gulf War Syndrome.”

“I was never in the Gulf War,” Miklos said, “I only served in World War III. Did my time, served my country, moved to Sibenbürgen. Sure looks different when I’m not trying to blow everything up.”

“Okay, so, how long have you not been yourself?” Anders asked.

“Since the thing last night,” Miklos said.

Anders was about to ask another question when a man in a suit walked in with an officer.

“Herr Ranheim, I’m Police Chief Sibiu,” he said, shaking Miklos’ hand, “Please, forgive the misunderstanding. Your truck’s squared away. You may go.”

“I’d like to examine the truck,” Anders said.

“That won’t be necessary,” Sibiu said.

Miklos got up and left. Anders started to follow. Miklos turned and stopped him.

“This man has had an alleged close encounter,” he said, “The truck undoubtedly contains important trace evidence.”

“Anders, leave it,” Angela said.

“You’ve gotten all you’re going to get out of this county,” Sibiu said, “We will no longer cooperate in your investigation.”

“Why?” Angela aside.

“Just… go away,” Sibiu said.

He left. Angela looked at Anders. After exchanging looks for several seconds, they took their things and left the room.

Kronstadt Airport – 4:15 PM

A man printed out a car rental slip and handed it out to Angela, who started filling it out. Behind them, a woman shook her pen with frustration. It obviously wasn’t working. She was trying to fill out a form as well. Her son and daughter sat impatiently on the desk. Angela almost felt sorry for having a working pen.

“It’s obvious someone got to the police chief. Ranheim was hiding something,” Anders said.

“Ranheim was sick,” Angela said.

“He only became sick last night,” Anders said, “For something he would’ve only gotten if he served in Mexico, which he didn’t.”

The woman tapped on Angela’s shoulder. “Excuse me, can I use your pen?”

“Sure.” Angela handed her pen to her.

“What are you suggesting, that Gulf War Syndrome is caused by UFOs?” she asked Anders.

“UFOs are frequently witnessed by soldiers during wartime,” Anders said, “Like the Foo Fighters during World War II, which were seen by both Loyalist and Angeloi bomber crews.”

The woman handed the pen back. “Thanks.”

Angela and Anders got on the bus and sat down.

“Anders, the only UFOs people are likely to see are secret military aircraft,” Angela said, “Like the M-117 in Mexico.”

“What if that’s what made the soldiers in Mexico sick, Angie?” Anders said. “The exhaust or fuel from a classified aircraft or its weapon.”

“Well, there is a military base in Bucharest,” Angela said, “You think that’s what the KL was flying that night?”

“They’d deny it, but it could possibly explain how Ranheim developed his symptoms,” Anders said.

“Possibly,” Angela said.

“I want to talk to some people when we get back to Constantinople,” Anders said.

“Anders, the military obviously isn’t going to talk about classified aircraft,” Angela said.

“No, these guys are like a government watchdog group,” Anders said, “Sort of on the extreme, but not Angeloi level, if you’re wondering. They publish a magazine called ‘The Lone Gunman’. Some of their information is first-rate; covert actions, classified weapons. Some of their ideas are downright spooky.”

The Lone Gunman Office, Ostend, Constantinople – 7:04 PM

Anders and Angela sat in front of the window. A long-haired and unshaven man named Reinhard Lander walked around wearing a Ramones t-shirt. A more clean-cut man named Ragnar Biers, with a professional-looking moustache and beard and wearing a suit and tie, stood in the corner. The third man, Rudolf Froniker, far shorter than Ragnar and Reinhard, took a picture of Angela. Angela immediately noticed, grabbed the camera, and slammed it against the wall, destroying it.

“Hey!” Rudolf said.

“So, check it out, Anders, today I had breakfast with one of the guys who shot Ragnar Beck,” Reinhard said.

“Is that so?” Anders said.

“Old dude now, of course, but yeah,” Reinhard said, “Says he was dressed as a cop on the grassy knoll that day.”

“And, Anders, listen to this,” Ragnar said, handing a newspaper to him, “Chen Shuibian, the leader of the Fuxingyundong and the next Chancellor of China? He’s being put into power by the most heinous and evil force of the 20th century.”

“Barney the dinosaur?” Anders joked.

Angela smiled, and Reinhard laughed. Ragnar, however, was unamused.

“The Athanatoi Foreign Division,” Ragnar finished.

“Not RSB?” Angela said, “Something’s off about that…”

“Is this your skeptical partner?” Reinhard said.

Rudolf took another picture. “She’s hot.”

Angela grabbed his second camera and destroyed it.

“Hey!” Rudolf said. “That had definitive proof Chancellor Kohl knows about the illegal donations to the CMU! And that there are illegal donations!”

“I have a boyfriend,” Angela said, “Also, Kohl would never do that. Campaign finance laws would’ve forced him to admit it by now.”

“You don’t believe that the Athanatoi, threatened by a loss of power and funding because of the end of the Cold War, wouldn’t dream of having the Reich’s nemesis back?” Ragnar said.

“I think you give the government too much credit,” Angela said, “I mean, the government can’t control the deficit or manage unemployment in the former Occupied Territories…”

The phone rang, and Reinhard picked it up, also turning on a tape recorder. “Lone Gunman.”

“She is hot,” Rudolf repeated.

Anders turned to him. “Settle down, Froniker, she’s my cousin.”

Ragnar walked up to them. “I’m not talking about the bunch of idiots in Augustaeon trying to bone their interns or accept illegal campaign donations. We’re talking about a dark network, a government within a government, controlling our every move. A deep state, if you will.”

“How can they do that?” Angela said.

“How?” Ragnar said. “I’ll show you how. You got a twenty mark bill?”

Angela dug into her pocket and pulled out a twenty. She looked at Anders, who smiled back and shrugged awkwardly, before handing it to Ragnar. Ragnar held the bill up and tore it in half, pulling out the anti-counterfeiting strip.

“Hey!” Angela said.

Anders laughed. Angela punched him in the arm.

“That’s just one method,” Ragnar said, “They use this magnetic strip to track you. Whenever you go through a metal detector at an airport, they know exactly how much you’re carrying.”

“Hey, Biers, it is a national crime to deface money,” Anders said.

“This strip is an anti-counterfeiting measure,” Angela said.

“How come it’s on the inside?” Reinhard said. “Other countries put that strip on the outside. Even Russia does it, and we all know how much the ruble's worth.”

“What are they hiding?” Ragnar said.

Anders waved his hand. “Okay, alright, now, what do you know about Gulf War Syndrome?”

“Agent Orange of the 90’s,” Reinhard said.

“Artillery shells coated with depleted uranium,” Ragnar said.

“Have you heard of classified planes being flown during the Mexican Gulf War?” Anders asked.

“Why would you need to expose a secret plane to an air force that runs to Mississippi or is blown out of the sky whenever you take to the air?” Ragnar said.

“What about UFO activity during that period?” Anders asked.

Reinhard and Ragnar laughed.

“Yeah, UFOs caused the Gulf War Syndrome, that’s a good one,” Reinhard said, “Just like Sentinel is really—"

“That’s why we like you, Anders, your ideas are weirder than ours,” Ragnar said.

Anders laughed a bit. Angela nodded her head slightly in agreement.

X-Division Office – 8:14 PM

Anders looked at the picture of the shotgun shell with a magnifying glass and another picture of the road, while Angela wrote in her notebook and listened to her Walkman.

“Those were the most paranoid people I have ever met,” she said, “I don’t know how you could think that what they say is even remotely plausible.”

“I think it’s remotely plausible that someone might think you’re hot, Angie,” Anders said, “Demetrios certainly did.”

Angela punched him in the arm. Then she shook her pen to get the ink flowing again. However, it still didn’t write, so she unscrewed her pen.

“Did you see the way they answered the telephone?” she said. “They probably think every call they get is monitored and they’re followed wherever they go. It’s a form of self-delusion. It makes them think that what they’re doing is important enough that somebody would…”

She looked at her pen and found electronic devices inside. She quickly paused her Walkman.

“What’s the matter?” Anders asked.

“Why is there a listening bug in my pen?” Angela asked.

Anders’ apartment, Psamathia District – 9:56 PM

Anders walked over to his light and replaced his bulb with a blue one. He opened the blinds, turned off all other lights, and sat down. He waited there patiently for the signal. Several hours flew by before the phone rang, jolting him from his sleep. He got up and picked it up, hearing a click on the other end. That was the signal. He put on his jacket (he should really get around to returning it to Demetrios) and left.

Hagia Sophia – February 19, 1994, 3:41 AM

Anders sat down on a bench next to the statue of Saint Gunhilda, eating an apple. He looked up at the statue of the Reich’s greatest military leaders and the patron saint of the Armed Forces. Her horse majestically reared up in the air, cutting an imposing figure. She had her sword drawn and pointing forward, as if ordering troops to charge. A shield covered her left arm, decorated with the coats of arms of the Schweinfurt and Hohenzollern dynasties, Christian symbols, and Latin phrases. She had no helmet, but her eyes looked defiantly in the direction of her sword, ready to fight whoever was stupid enough to step onto the opposite side of the battlefield.

Hans sat down next to him. “Looks a little like Angie, right?” he said.

“Can’t see well at this time,” Anders said.

“Alright, then,” Hans said, “So, pitchers and catchers report for spring training this week.”

“Yeah, and what are we doing here?” Anders asked.

Hans chuckled. “Missed your calling, did you, Anders? Ah, maybe this year we can catch a game in the Dockyards. Of course, we wouldn’t be able to sit together.”

“That’s too bad,” Anders said, “Something tells me you have the connections to get great seats.”

“Any park in the country, front row seats, tour of the locker rooms, meet-and-greet with any team you want,” Hans said.

A camera clicked. Hans instinctively turned away, facing Anders, to avoid more pictures.

“It’s just a tourist,” Anders said.

“At this time?” Hans said. “In our line, nothing is just what it seems.”

“What am I onto?” Anders asked. “We go down to investigate a truck driver’s encounter with a UFO and the next thing we know, we’re finding electronic surveillance equipment. Who’s listening to us? RSB? Sentinel?”

Hans looked at him and turned away.

“Why won’t you tell me?” Anders asked.

Hans sighed. Then he pulled an envelope out of his trench coat and handed it to Anders. Then he got up and walked away

“What am I onto?” Anders asked.

Hans stopped and turned back to him. “A dangerous path.”

He disappeared into the morning fog.

X-Division – 9:51 AM

“Subject: response to request for information,” Anders read the paper, “Regarding the contact and other related incidents…Via: INTERCEPT MEXICAN TRANSMISSION TO: Commanding Officer, Project Majestic.” The folder the paper came from was marked “TOP SECRET” and “CLASSIFED.” A tape recorder behind him played Xocoyol Mazatl’s conversation with ground control and his fight with the UFO, leading to its explosion. Meanwhile, Angela walked in. She had her headphones on again, probably listening to more Michael Joachim or something. She sat down and handed some papers to Anders.

“The truck is bogus,” she said, “And so’s the driver, Miklos Ranheim. First I checked his manifest. It listed a truck carrying 180 cartons of auto parts weighing 3,100 pounds. Then I checked with three weigh stations along his route and they have it listed at 5,100 pounds. There’s something in that truck, Anders, and it’s not auto parts. And of course, nobody reported him. Furthermore, Ranheim lied about being in the Gulf War and World War III. Nobody who fought at the first Battle of Ruse survived, at least on the Roman side. His name is Franz Darmstadter – and I worked hard to get this one. He was Special Operations Black Beret in Nochistlan, central Mexico. Also, he didn’t get sick from the encounter the other night. He’s been to a Bureau of Defense veterans’ hospital for treatment three times this past year.”

Anders shook his head angrily. “We had it! We had it and we let it go! Two months ago, a Mexican pilot shot down an unidentified flying object. The wreckage, and possibly the occupants, were recovered by the army. Ranheim, the truck driver, would be the perfect escort for the wreckage and/or bodies out of Mexico and into a laboratory in the Reich. That would explain why the truck weighs so much more than listed. The military has, in the past, transported dangerous materials and weapons across the country.”

Anders laughed, though Angela looked confused.

“I’m beginning to sound like those guys at ‘The Lone Gunman’, right?” he said.

“Where did you obtain this information?” Angela asked.

“Your grandfather,” Anders said.

“Grandpa?!” Angela said. “You’re still in touch with him?”

“Hey, he’s on our side,” Anders said, “All I know is that he’s guided us away from harm. He hasn’t given us wrong information yet.”

“How do you know that?” Angela said. “We work for the Athanatoi and we’re being bugged. What does that tell you?”

“That tells me that not everything is as it appears to be,” Anders said.

“Exactly,” Angela said, “And for all we know, Grandpa is the one responsible for the bug.”

“Can you believe what you’re saying?” Anders said. “Your own grandfather placed a tracking device in your pen! He’s never lied to me. I won’t break that confidence. I trust him.”

“Anders, you’re the only one I trust,” Angela said, “Not even Dad or Schulz. Those men may have already gotten to them.”

“Then you’re going to have to trust me,” Anders said, “Things must be really bad if you can’t trust your own dad.”

Angela leaned back in her chair.

“Did you find out where the truck is now?” Anders asked.

“Generally,” Angela said, “It’s heading west. Towards Helvetia.”

“Alright, Angie, we’ve got to try and intercept it and see what’s on board,” Anders said, “I’m going to get a few things, I’ll meet you back at your place in an hour, okay?”

He got up, put on his jacket, and left the office.

Anders’ apartment, Psamathia District – 10:53 AM

Anders unlocked his door and walked inside, finding Hans sitting in his chair.

“I liked your coffee,” he said.

“You risked exposure coming here,” Anders said.

Hans took out another envelope and handed it to him. “What I have here is too important.”

Anders took out a photo from the envelope. It was of a UFO.

“The photograph in that envelope was taken by an officer outside Malaga, Andalusia,” Hans said, “17 UFOs were spotted in one hour.”

“Is that where the Mexican wreckage is being held?” Anders said. “Are UFOs monitoring the area?”

Hans turned and walked out the door. “Nice place you have here.”

“Wait,” Anders said.

Hans stopped in the doorway and looked back at Anders.

“I, I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you, Uncle,” Anders said, “You’ve helped my work so much and never asked for anything in return. I know you’ve put yourself at great risk to do so.”

Hans smiled. “I remember when I was like you, once. Your grandfather and I traveled the Reich back in the day, searching for the truth like you did. But times changed, and soon I found myself covering up the truth. You deserve better than to be left in the dark.”

He left the room and closed the door behind him.

Angela’s apartment, Deuteron District – 11:44 AM

The picture was of a policeman standing by a car with trees in the background. A UFO hovered above the trees next to the moon, clearly visible in the windshield. Angela inspected it with a magnifying glass.

“This is the best photographic evidence I have ever seen,” Anders said, “When I first saw the Bosporus photos, I knew they were a hoax but this… this is the quality of evidence the government has amassed for decades at the highest classified levels. That business with the truck was just a decoy to keep anyone from looking closely away from Malaga where they are keeping the remains of the Mexican UFO. We have to leave for Andalusia immediately, Angie—"

“Anders, this photograph is a fake,” Angela said.

“What?” Anders said.

“Look,” Angela said.

She pointed at the policeman with the magnifying glass. “This soldier’s shadow is allegedly created by the UFO’s lights. But it falls in a direction contradictory to the craft’s position.”

“There can be an off-camera light source creating that shadow,” Anders said.

“Now look closely at the color of the light reflected in the windshield,” Angela said, “Now that reflection should be from the UFO’s red lights, but it doesn’t match the color of the ship’s light.”

“There’s probably a degree of tint in the windshield or the gradation could be attributed to atmospheric conditions,” Anders said.

“We should have it analyzed,” Angela said.

“Why don’t you just admit it, Scully?” Anders said. “You’re determined not to believe him. You can’t believe your own grandfather? You can’t believe anybody?”

“Well, maybe you’re too determined to believe him,” Angela said.

Anders collected the pictures and got his jacket.

“I am determined to follow a lead that may result in proof of the existence of aliens,” Anders said, “I need to go.”

He walked off.

“Anders, listen to me,” Angela said.

“No,” Anders said.

“Please, will you just hear me?” Angela said.

Anders stopped.

“You’re my cousin,” Angela said, “You’re family. I’ve never met anyone so passionate and dedicated to a belief as you, not even Dad. It’s so intense sometimes it’s blinding. But there are others who are watching you, who know what I know and whereas I can respect and admire your passion, they will use it against you. Anders, the truth is out there but so are lies. I just want to help you find the truth.”

Anders smiled. “Uh, thanks.”

He turned and left.

Omar Mukhtar Building – February 20, 1994, 6:30 AM

Angela opened the door to her office, put down her coat and briefcase, and took her cup and went to get coffee. After returning to her room, she found her lamp was on and her briefcase lying on her desk instead of standing up. Anders sat in her chair.

“Next time, you should’ve given me some warning,” Angela said.

“I had the photo analyzed by Athanatoi computers,” Anders said, “Initially, it appears legitimate. The film grain matches, the pattern and density, color levels, shading… then I noticed this.”

He pointed to the moon in the picture. He then showed her the reflection.

“It’s the moon, half full,” Anders said, “I had the reflection in this window enlarged to 25. There’s the moon again, a quarter full. Not to mention the fact that the window couldn’t even catch the moon’s reflection from that angle. You were right, Angie. It’s a fake. He tried to deceive us.”

He sighed. “I thought we could trust Uncle Hans. Now we’re alone on this. There’s no one we can trust. They went to a lot of trouble to put us on the wrong track. There’s something here that no one’s supposed to find.”

Constantinople Aquarium – 7:31 AM

Anders stood at the shark tank, watching them swim. Hans walked up to him.

“Why didn’t you leave for Andalusia?” he asked.

“The photograph was a fake,” Anders said.

Hans was silent.

“At least you’re not insulting me further by feigning appalled surprise, Uncle,” Anders said, “I should’ve know better.”

“On the contrary, I think a compliment is in order,” Hans said, “That photo was performed by our very best.”

“I thought you were my ally,” Anders said.

“Oh, I am,” Hans said, “We’re family, right?”

“Yeah, imagine if Hugo Doukas told the rest of the Loyalists that D-Day would take place in Catalonia and not Gibraltar,” Anders said.

“Anders, I place my life in great jeopardy every time we speak,” Hans said.

“In my long career, I’ve been a participant in some of the most insidious lies and witness to deeds that no crazed man could imagine,” Hans said, “I spent years watching you and Angie to know that you two were the ones I could trust. I didn’t even go to your fathers. And your grandfather wouldn’t have agreed with what I'm doing. He prefers to stay out of trouble.”

“Then why did you lie to me?” Anders said.

“I needed to divert you,” Hans said, “You and Angie are excellent investigators and your motives are just. However, there are still some secrets that should remain secret – some truths that people are just not ready to know.”

“Who are you to decide that for me?” Anders said.

“The world’s reaction to such knowledge would be far too dangerous,” Hans said.

“Dangerous,” Anders said, “You mean in a sense of outrage like the reaction to the Ragnar Beck and Abraham Green assassinations or Siam POWs or radiation experiments on terminal patients, Wassertor, Agadir, the Carthage experiments, where will it end? Oh, I guess it won’t end as long as… men like you decide what is truth. That transcript you gave me of the Mexican pilot, that was the truth, wasn’t it?”

Hans nodded.

“Why’d you even bother to show it to me?” Anders asked.

“Well, I knew that you were onto the truck, so I knew that down the road I would have to steer you away,” Hans said, “That I would have to lie to you. And a lie, Anders, is most convincingly hidden between two truths.”

Anders started walking away.

“Anders,” Hans called.

Anders turned back.

“About the truth you seek,” Hans said, “Even if you do succeed, who will believe you? What makes you different from those before you, hoping to expose the government’s secrets? The government will just deny it again, and the people will just laugh it off, and you’ll get nowhere. What you should do is water it down to make it…palatable. Technically not falsehoods, but a partial truth. Anders, when a shark stops swimming, it will die. Don’t stop swimming. I’m not responsible for the electronic surveillance, but I do know they can still hear you. Flip a switch, and illuminate the truth. And make it palatable.”

Hans walked away, leaving Anders to watch the sharks.

Theodor Giesel was born in Germania in 1904. He went to college at IU Darmstadt, where he was caught drinking beer with his roommates (against college rules and regulations). The dean ordered Giesel to resign from all extracurricular activities, including the college humor magazine. To continue writing for the magazine, he adopted the pen name Dr. Seuss. After graduating college, he made ends meet by drawing ads for companies like Tesla Dynamic and IBC, gaining a significant public profile from his ads for Imperial Oil. As World War II broke out, Giesel turned to writing political cartoons and ultimately joined the Angeloi side not because he sympathized with their beliefs but because they paid him better. He helped produce animations and cartoons which glorified Markos Angelos and demonized the Loyalist cause. In 1941, the Angeloi sent him to occupied Constantinople to make a film about the end of the Loyalist cause. Seeing the destruction of the city changed him, and he realized he was on the wrong side. Giesel would defect to the Loyalists shortly afterwards and lend them his animation skills. By the end of the war, he would be awarded the Legion of Merit, among other medals. After the war, Giesel and his family moved to Egypt, where he wrote his memoirs and returned to children's books, hoping to atone for his mistakes during the war. It was during this time he wrote classics like Herman Hears a Who! (written after a visit to India as an apology for Giesel's racism and Islamophobia during the war), The Cat in the Hat (part of a literacy campaign), and Green Eggs and Ham. His books were instrumental in helping revamp the Roman education system. Giesel would receive numerous literary awards, among them the Nobel Prize in literature and an honorary doctorate. He passed away in 1991.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I wonder if they will ever have a case where the locals are actually cooperative or other government agents don't just push them aside. :rolleyes:

Theodor Giesel was born in Germania in 1904. He went to college at IU Darmstadt, where he was caught drinking beer with his roommates (against college rules and regulations). The dean ordered Giesel to resign from all extracurricular activities, including the college humor magazine. To continue writing for the magazine, he adopted the pen name Dr. Seuss. After graduating college, he made ends meet by drawing ads for companies like Tesla Dynamic and IBC, gaining a significant public profile from his ads for Imperial Oil. As World War II broke out, Giesel turned to writing political cartoons and ultimately joined the Angeloi side not because he sympathized with their beliefs but because they paid him better. He helped produce animations and cartoons which glorified Markos Angelos and demonized the Loyalist cause. In 1941, the Angeloi sent him to occupied Constantinople to make a film about the end of the Loyalist cause. Seeing the destruction of the city changed him, and he realized he was on the wrong side. Giesel would defect to the Loyalists shortly afterwards and lend them his animation skills. By the end of the war, he would be awarded the Legion of Merit, among other medals. After the war, Giesel and his family moved to Egypt, where he wrote his memoirs and returned to children's books, hoping to atone for his mistakes during the war. It was during this time he wrote classics like Herman Hears a Who! (written after a visit to India as an apology for Giesel's racism and Islamophobia during the war), The Cat in the Hat (part of a literacy campaign), and Green Eggs and Ham. His books were instrumental in helping revamp the Roman education system. Giesel would receive numerous literary awards, among them the Nobel Prize in literature and an honorary doctorate. He passed away in 1991.
That makes sense since the racism of the early 20th century US is better applied to the Angeloi fascism (I don´t think the Kaiser would let xenophobic propaganda be published under his watch in wartime) and is quite the touching story of redemption actually.:) I wonder what the modern Dr. Suess movie would be like here through. They probably would stick more to the themes and style of the originally books than OTL. Heck, maybe they would take a serious (not necessarily dark since it would still be made for children) approach with Giesel´s themes instead of a more comedic one like OTL. Especially for Horton (Herman) Hears a Who.

Now I’m wondering what Eric Blair (George Orwell) was doing during WW2 since in OTL he fought in the Spanish civil war briefly and produced radio broadcasts for Great Britain if I recall. He definitely wouldn’t join the Angeloi since he did have socialist leanings through he opposed Communism/Stalinism in OTL. I assume the Soviet Commune (particularly under Valentin’s rule) wouldn’t be too happy with Orwell’s works during the Cold War and WW3 and would seek to remove all works published against them and replace them with their own rhetoric during WW3.

By the way Zen, what are the equivalents to the regional cultural and geographic US belts (Bibile belt, Rust belt, Sun belt, etc) in the Reich. I guess that some of them would be based on the old Praetorian Prefectures of the First Roman Empire. I suggest you rewrite the descriptions of the belts based on the list provided for them in the Wiki page or the worldatlas site.:)

I can´t believe I forgot about him when asking about Red vs Blue, but what language would Lopez speak in TTL? Maybe Norse or Mexica. While I’m at it I amuse the Freelancers being mostly female would have something to do with the director something to do with the the director of Project Freelancer being distraught by his late wife and initially planned to use them as a host body for an ai fragment based on his wife before settling on implanting the Ai on a random solider that would eventually become Agent Helvetica in a similar manner to how Church/Alpha got his host body (which was explained in episode 4 of season 14 if you need context). At least that’s how I think the Recollection and Project Freelancer story archs would go. I think the rest of RVB’s storyarchs and Rwby would be the same as OTL. I also assume Gallia is still the director’s daughter like Carolina was in OTL. I wonder how the relationship between Hibernia and Gallia would be like here since I think York and Carolina were a couple in OTL if I remember correctly? Also would the AI’s still be named after Greek letters or would they be replaced with Latin ones?

Also, I have another thing that I just thought of when thinking about TTL´s Hunger Games. the brief description of (Kaiserin) Katniss Everdeen earlier sounds a little bit like a combination of Caesar (lead the downfall of a republic and the rise of an empire) Cincinnatus (returned to living an idyllic life after they were no longer needed instead of running the risk of becoming a tyrannical despot) and the early Kaisers a little bit don´t you think. I guess it makes since the setting of Hunger Games is inspired by Ancient Rome (partulcary the gladiatorial sports of ancient Rome) so that would make sense.
“About the truth you seek,” Hans said, “Even if you do succeed, who will believe you? What makes you different from those before you, hoping to expose the government’s secrets? The government will just deny it again, and the people will just laugh it off, and you’ll get nowhere. What you should do is water it down to make it…palatable. Technically not falsehoods, but a partial truth. Anders, when a shark stops swimming, it will die. Don’t stop swimming. I’m not responsible for the electronic surveillance, but I do know they can still hear you. Flip a switch, and illuminate the truth. And make it palatable.”
Now there’s the Stranger Things reference!:D

Also since this chapter started with shenanigans in Mexico, I just thought that Terrorism might be worse in this timeline. Especially if the religious fundamentalists in the Eimericas revive a certain old practice to punish those they see as “infidels”. I think you know what I’m talking about here.:eek: I would cross out certain words and continue talking about something else but I’m not sure how to cross out the words. Plus I’m typing on mobile.:(

I’m also wondering what the Stellaris section of this AAR would be called. Maybe “Pax Romana” or “Romanitas”.

Also you may want to add the stuff we recently talked about to the table of contents.:)

Also did China ever get around to rebuilding that one palace you mentioned the Russians destroying during WW1 as a war crime when they took Beijing?

Last edited:
The Lone Gunmen... Terrible name. Perfect for what you're going for, mind you. It's not an insult towards you, it's perfect for conspiracy theorists, I just hate the 'lone' followed by a plural.

I wonder if they will ever have a case where the locals are actually cooperative or other government agents don't just push them aside. :rolleyes:
That would require the RSB not inserting themselves into literally everything to feed their ego.:p
That makes sense since the racism of the early 20th century US is better applied to the Angeloi fascism (I don´t think the Kaiser would let xenophobic propaganda be published under his watch in wartime) and is quite the touching story of redemption actually.:) I wonder what the modern Dr. Suess movie would be like here through. They probably would stick more to the themes and style of the originally books than OTL. Heck, maybe they would take a serious (not necessarily dark since it would still be made for children) approach with Giesel´s themes instead of a more comedic one like OTL. Especially for Horton (Herman) Hears a Who.
The modern Dr. Seuss movie would be more serious and deal with his conflicting attitudes towards politicization of his work. He saw what happened in WW2 and never wanted to repeat that again. The turning point would be WW3, where he would again refuse to draw political cartoons and ads for any side, including the Reich, instead focusing on education and popular culture. The movie would likely end with him contemplating if he did redeem himself after all.
Now I’m wondering what Eric Blair (George Orwell) was doing during WW2 since in OTL he fought in the Spanish civil war briefly and produced radio broadcasts for Great Britain if I recall. He definitely wouldn’t join the Angeloi since he did have socialist leanings through he opposed Communism/Stalinism.
Blair/Orwell still exists in this universe, only he never adopted his pen name. I had him write 1984 (which is necessary because I mentioned the legendary Super Bowl Macintosh ad inspired by it) and most of what he did before. I don't think he'd write Homage to Catalonia because there would be no Spanish Civil War for him to participate in. He'd still be a socialist, but his experiences in WW2 and the Soviet occupation of the eastern provinces would push him to the right. Towards the end of his life he would become a very strong anti-equalist (though still on the ideological left) and occasionally give speeches and endorsements for the SPR.
By the way Zen, what are the equivalents to the regional cultural and geographic US belts (Bibile belt, Rust belt, Sun belt, etc) in the Reich. I guess that some of them would be based on the old Praetorian Prefectures of the First Roman Empire. I suggest you rewrite the descriptions of the belts based on the list provided for them in the Wiki page or the worldatlas site.:)
While I was mapping out Roman culture, I used the following template:

West Coast = Middle East
East Coast = the highly urbanized area stretching from Milan to Benelux to London
Bible Belt = Gallia, Hispania, Italia, Southern Britannia, Helvetia
Rust Belt = Ruhr, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, Northern Britannia, Rhineland and Saarland (could also extend to the rest of the Occupied Territories, Silesia/Bohemia/Poland in particular)
Sun Belt = Italia, Illyria, Greece, southern Hispania

And the other "belt" regions:
Banana Belt = North African coastal regions, Hibernia, western Britannia
Black Belt = not applicable (because if there was one, it would be all of Africa)
Borscht Belt = Helvetia
Corn Belt = Taurica
Cotton Belt = maybe Britannia
Frost Belt = Caledonia, Frisia, northern Gallia, northern Germania
Fruit Belt = Greece, Anatolia, Dacia

The rest don't really apply to the Reich.

I can´t believe I forgot about him when asking about Red vs Blue, but what language would Lopez speak in TTL? Maybe Norse or Mexica.
I think Norse makes more sense.
While I’m at it I amuse the Freelancers being mostly female would have something to do with the director something to do with the the director of Project Freelancer being distraught by his late wife and initially planned to use them as a host body for an ai fragment based on his wife before settling on implanting the Ai on a random solider that would eventually become Agent Helvetica in a similar manner to how Church/Alpha got his host body (which was explained in episode 4 of season 14 if you need context). At least that’s how I think the Recollection and Project Freelancer story archs would go. I think the rest of RVB’s storyarchs and Rwby would be the same as OTL.
I never got that far or watched RWBY, so I can't really comment on either of them. I'd assume it would go as well as you'd say they would.
Also, I have another thing that I just thought of when thinking about TTL´s Hunger Games. the brief description of (Kaiserin) Katniss Everdeen earlier sounds a little bit like a combination of Caesar (lead the downfall of a republic and the rise of an empire) Cincinnatus (returned to living an idyllic life after they were no longer needed instead of running the risk of becoming a tyrannical despot) and the early Kaisers a little bit don´t you think. I guess it makes since the setting of Hunger Games is inspired by Ancient Rome (partulcary the gladiatorial sports of ancient Rome) so that would make sense.
I'd say Katniss would be more like a Cincinattus than a Caesar, because she was chosen to lead her people through a difficult time and then gave up power once her job was done. She didn't become a dictator or try to expand her power.
Also since this chapter started with shenanigans in Mexico, I just thought that Terrorism might be worse in this timeline. Especially if the religious fundamentalists in the Eimericas revive a certain old practice to punish those they see as “infidels”. I think you know what I’m talking about here.:eek: I would cross out certain words and continue talking about something else but I’m not sure how to cross out the words. Plus I’m typing on mobile.:(
I'm not going to confirm or deny that, but if you know the analogues I'm drawing, you probably know where this will end up. And I just want to say I won't let NWO's ISIS mechanics go to waste.;)
I’m also wondering what the Stellaris section of this AAR would be called. Maybe “Pax Romana” or “Romanitas”.
The current working title is "The Final Odyssey," but I'm certainly open to suggestions. Pax Romana/Romanitas are in my opinion a bit too Earth-centric.
Also you may want to add the stuff we recently talked about to the table of contents.:)
Yeah, I'll get on that maybe next morning. I don't always update immediately, but I'll get around to them eventually.:p
The Lone Gunmen... Terrible name. Perfect for what you're going for, mind you. It's not an insult towards you, it's perfect for conspiracy theorists, I just hate the 'lone' followed by a plural.
But that would mean conspiracy theorists are basically grammar Angeloi/equalists, and they would flip out at that.:p Plus the only other name I could use was Lone Axemen, after Trotsky's death, but that would probably be too obscure even for conspiracy theorists.:D

• 1Like
Reactions:
I’m also going to quote a few more questions you missed because I don’t think you saw them since I edited them in later.
. I assume the Soviet Commune (particularly under Valentin’s rule) wouldn’t be too happy with Orwell’s works during the Cold War and WW3 and would seek to remove all works published against them and replace them with their own rhetoric during WW3.
I wonder how the relationship between Hibernia and Gallia would be like here since I think York and Carolina were a couple in OTL if I remember correctly? Also would the AI’s still be named after Greek letters or would they be replaced with Latin ones?

Also did China ever get around to rebuilding that one palace you mentioned the Russians destroying during WW1 as a war crime when they took Beijing?

Also, while I can see some of the other belts not working for this timeline, I think I can add a few more thoughts.
Rice belt: Either Mesopotamia or Egypt I think would have rice in their diet. Mesopotamia most likely since it is has the closes access to India.
Lead belt: I think the balkans or Austria would work since I think they would have a history of large mines in the area. I think South Africa or the Congo would work too since I think they have large mines and we haven’t talked much about Rome’s holdings outside of Europe, the Middle East and North Africa. Through it might be called the Diamond belt in that case.
Salt Belt: perpahs Britianna or northern Germania would use salt on there roads during winter.
Pine belt: Isreal and Egypt perhaps?
Wheat belt: I think the Mediterranean and North African would be good agricultural places to grow wheat.
Stroke belt: I assume Gallia and Italia would have a number of strokes and cardiovascular disease related incidents since they are the equivalent of the American south for Rome.
Jell-O belt: it would probably be named something else, but it’s probably for the Norse communities living in Hispania or the Muslim communities living in Mesopotamia and Arabia.
Arabian Oil belt: replacing the Indiana gas belt because of its wealth In resources, through it might be changed to “ the Dacian gas belt” now that it’s back under Rome’s hands.
Snow belt: North Germania or the Baltic regions.
Liberated/Free belt: replacing the unchurched belt since it was under anti religious Soviet control before rejoining the Reich.
Amazon/Inti belt: referring to the Quechua living under the Reich in there province of Neu Rhomania. Would also be extended to Neurhomania itself.
Malian belt: For the Malians that live In Maurentina and Neurhomania.
Kebab belt: For Turks of course!:D

I assume there’s no Apartheid equivalent in this universe. If there was, it would probably be the one of the repressive the Soviets implemented in the Occupied Territories and on their minoties in addition to the population resettlements, Gulags and other human rights abuse. China under the military junta might have also been an Aprthaid before Democracy returned to it. Aprthaid would be dismantled with the collapse of both the Soviets and the dictatorship in China overall. Through Mexico and other republican countries might continue with it.

I assume “Valentinism” style Equalism during WW3 would be like Stalinism only with even more facist influence and Totalitarian policies.

Last edited:
I’m also going to quote a few more questions you missed because I don’t think you saw them since I edited them in later.
The Soviets would not like what Orwell writes, but they'd treat it like any other Roman literature that doesn't support their views (suppress it).

If they were a couple in the original RvB, they'd probably be one here. Again, I didn't get far into RvB, so I can't say much about it. AIs would be named after Greek letters, because Latin letters are too ordinary.

I never talked about it, but it's implied they did. I may dedicate a part of the story arc to a story set there.
Also, while I can see some of the other belts not working for this timeline, I think I can add a few more thoughts.
Rice belt: Either Mesopotamia or Egypt I think would have rice in their diet. Mesopotamia most likely since it is has the closes access to India.
Lead belt: I think the balkans or Austria would work since I think they would have a history of large mines in the area. I think South Africa or the Congo would work too since I think they have large mines and we haven’t talked much about Rome’s holdings outside of Europe, the Middle East and North Africa. Through it might be called the Diamond belt in that case.
Salt Belt: perpahs Britianna or northern Germania would use salt on there roads during winter.
Pine belt: Isreal and Egypt perhaps?
Wheat belt: I think the Mediterranean and North African would be good agricultural places to grow wheat.
Stroke belt: I assume Gallia and Italia would have a number of strokes and cardiovascular disease related incidents since they are the equivalent of the American south for Rome.
Jell-O belt: it would probably be named something else, but it’s probably for the Norse communities living in Hispania or the Muslim communities living in Mesopotamia and Arabia.
Arabian Oil belt: replacing the Indiana gas belt because of its wealth In resources, through it might be changed to “ the Dacian gas belt” now that it’s back under Rome’s hands.
Snow belt: North Germania or the Baltic regions.
Liberated belt: replacing the unchurched belt since it was under anti religious Soviet control before rejoining the Reich.
Amazon/Inti belt: referring to the Quechua living under the Reich in there province of Neu Rhomania. Would also be extended to Neurhomania itself.
Malian belt: For the Malians that live In Maurentina and Neurhomania.
Kebab belt: For Turks of course!:D
The Rice Belt would be renamed to the Crescent Belt (because Fertile Crescent).
The lead belt would also include Transylvania because it has a lot of raw materials.
The Salt Belt would be Britannia, northern Germania, and Frisia.
Pine Belt: sure, it can be Israel and Egypt. Might also include Syria and Jordan too.
Wheat belt: entire eastern Mediterranean and Egypt
Stroke belt: wouldn't have an equivalent here
Jell-O belt: wouldn't have an equivalent here (since Norse are more assimilated than Mormons)
Arabian Oil belt: makes sense.
Snow belt: Caledonia and northern Germania
Liberated Belt: former Occupied Territories
Amazon Belt: Quechua provinces of Neurhomania
Malian belt: makes sense
Kebab Belt: Turks aren't really a large minority, but they're more like African Americans I think, so they'd probably have the equivalent of the Black Belt somewhere in Mesopotamia and eastern Anatolia.
I assume there’s no Apartheid equivalent in this universe. If there was, it would probably be the one of the repressive the Soviets implemented in the Occupied Territories and on their minoties in addition to the population resettlements, Gulags and other human rights abuse. China under the military junta might have also been an Aprthaid before Democracy returned to it. Aprthaid would be dismantled with the collapse of both the Soviets and the dictatorship in China overall. Through Mexico and other republican countries might continue with it.
There is no Apartheid equivalent. No country, no matter how authoritarian, had state-supported racial segregation. It would run counter to equalism, and the Chinese junta tries to maintain the facade of democracy. Mexico might have it, though it doesn't have enough resources.
I assume “Valentinism” style Equalism during WW3 would be like Stalinism only with even more facist influence and Totalitarian policies.
Valentin was only in power for two years. I don't think it's long enough to develop his own ideology. He'd probably just have a nationalist brand of equalism.

The Lone Gunmen, Part 2

Anders’ apartment – 7:58 AM

Anders tore apart his apartment looking for the surveillance Hans told him about. In his frenzy, he pushed his furniture around, tossing pillows and books in the air. Hans warned him they could still listen to him. Where would they hide a bug? Somewhere he’d least expect. Somewhere where it would be hard to remove. He recalled Hans’ last words: flip a switch. His eyes settled on a nearby sparkplug. He got a screwdriver and detached it, finding a small listening device inside.

The doorbell rang. “Anders? You home?” Angela asked.

Anders opened the door and welcomed her in.

“Hey, Angie,” he said, “Glad you could drop by.”

“And…” Angela began.

Anders signaled for her to be quiet and led her into the room.

“I been thinking about this whole situation, y’know?” he said. “And I think you’re right. I think we won this one, I think we should just move on.”

He pointed at Angela’s Walkman. Understanding what he was saying, Angela disconnected the headphones and pressed play. David Bowie started playing, loud enough to mask their voices.

He pointed at the listening device in the sparkplug. Angela looked at it and nodded. “I think this time you’re right, Anders,” Angela said.

They left the apartment and got in Angela’s car. Angela turned onto a busy street and pulled over to the side. Another car kept going and pulled over two cars ahead. Anders got out of the passenger seat, as did a man from the other car, probably RSB from his suit and sunglasses. As soon as Anders was clear, Angela drove off, and the car followed her. Meanwhile, Anders summoned a taxi and got in, escaping the man tailing him.

Saint Wilhelmina International Airport – 9:16 AM

“Here you are, Herr Humboldt,” the clerk at the desk said, “Your round-trip ticket to Munich. Plane departs at Gate 35.”

Anders took his credit card and the ticket.

“I’d also like a one-way ticket to Cordoba with a stop at Bern, and I’ll be paying cash,” he said.

Downtown Constantinople

Angela hit a red light. She looked in the mirror, seeing the car still two cars behind her. She looked around the intersection, calculating the best route to lose her pursuer. When the light finally turned green, she slammed on the accelerator and swerved to the left, causing traffic to swerve around her. The other car couldn’t follow, at least for a few crucial seconds. When she looked behind again, it was nowhere to be seen. Relieved, she pulled out a map and plotted a course for the airport.

Nikephoros Airport, Bern, Helvetia – 2:30 PM

Angela stood in the gift shop, looking at the small books and the little chocolates on sale. Anders walked past her, and she pretended not to notice. He headed for the magazines, and Angela followed. Anders picked up a Star Trek magazine, while Angela got a Scientific Roman and sat down next to him.

“Called every weigh station and Athanatoi office west of Helvetia as well as the Channel Tunnel checkpoint stations,” Anders said, “Tied up an airphone for three hours. I don’t speak Chinese, but I think some businessman told me to stick a piece of dumpling where the sun don’t shine.”

“My ear’s numb from being on hold for so many hours,” Angela complained.

“At least we can be sure they didn’t trace our call,” Anders said, “I couldn’t find the truck. Did you have any luck?”

“Yep. It’s heading southeast on Autobahn 283,” Angela said, “Just passed Venice.”

Outside Venice, Veneto – 6:30 PM

The truck rolled down Autobahn 283, rolling steadily towards Angela’s car, parked on the side of the highway. Angela watched as it approached through her binoculars, while Anders munched on sunflower seeds.

“Y’know, think about it,” Anders said, “This truck drove across the Reich. People it passed on the road probably thought it was hauling auto parts or furniture. Y’know, livestock, whatever. Nobody would have suspected it was hauling a craft from another world.”

“Here we go,” Angela said.

As the truck passed, she started the car and turned onto the highway, pursuing the truck from two cars behind.

“Any minute now,” Anders said, “Should be stopping soon.”

Several hours later, Angela found she was still chasing the car. It was now dark outside, and her headlights were on. The other cars around her were long gone, leaving just her and the truck. Anders yawned.

“Anders, we’ve been following this truck for hours,” Angela said, “Maybe he knows we’re following him, and he’s taking an evasive route.”

“Well, if that were the case…” Anders said.

Suddenly, the radio turned on and started flipping channels rapidly. Hail struck the windshield. A loud hum filled the air, followed by a bright light. Angela hit the brakes and stopped in front of the truck, which had not only stopped but had also been turned around. She got out and grabbed her flashlight. Anders followed her.

“Miklos Ranheim?” Angela said. “Hello?”

There was nobody in the driver’s seat. They walked to the back of the truck, where they found the doors were open. Climbing inside, they moved boxes around until they were faced with a bright red glow. In front of them was a large device that looked like a life-support unit.

“Mein Gott,” Angela said.

“It was an alien, alive,” Anders said.

“Where’d it go?” Angela asked.

“I think we were just witness to a rescue mission,” Anders said, pulling out his Geiger counter.

“What we just saw, did it fit the profile?” Angela asked.

“Are you asking me if it was real?” Anders said. “Did we just have a close encounter?”

He pointed at the Geiger counter, which showed normal radiation levels. “No, it was just another hoax.”

“But how could anyone do all that?” Angela asked.

“Whatever they used, we probably haven’t heard of it,” Anders said, “Sound weapons, stealth helicopters with an ultra-intensity light, maybe even Sentinel. It doesn’t matter, there’s no evidence that this was a UFO.”

“So they created this elaborate show just to deflect us again,” Angela said, “I mean, wouldn’t it have been easier just for them to –”

“Just to kill us?” Anders said. “Yeah, I wondered that myself. Maybe they’re using me against myself like you said before. That I want to believe so badly that I’d just accept the obvious conclusions and walk away.”

They got back in the car.

“Now we have nothing to go on,” Angela said, “No one to turn to.”

“There’s still one person in all this who hasn’t lied to us,” Anders said, “But it’s not quite someone we can turn to.”

A hotel in Padua – 9:14 PM

Angela sat the desk, writing notes on her map and listening to music, as usual. Anders was on the phone with various maps in front of him.

“Piave River?” he said. “Send a field investigator? And you can substantiate the sighting? Alright, Nick, thanks a lot.”

He hung up and pointed at Angela’s map.

“So, Angie, I’ve contacted several organizations that have hotlines for UFO reports,” Anders said, “Center of UFO Studies in Darmstadt, GUFON, NEKAP… none of them have ever reported a week of such activity. It began in Siebenbürgen where Ranheim was encountered.”

He traced his finger down the line where the truck went, marking places where there had been UFO sightings.

“The sightings are following the path of the truck,” Angela said.

“And after last night’s hoax… look at this,” Anders said.

He circled another spot on the map. “Seven sightings in Treviso, Veneto.”

“Aliens?” Angela said.

“Looks like they want their colleague back,” Anders said.

Treviso, Veneto – February 21, 7:16 AM

Angela drove down the same dirt road for the second time and sighed.

“We’ve driven full circle through Treviso twice,” she said, “There’s nothing here.”

Anders, however, had decided otherwise. He pointed ahead.

“What’s over there?” he asked.

Angela stopped the car a few hundred feet from a campsite in a park, where about 20 people were gathered around a fire playing loud music. Some of them were dressed like gray aliens and waved around signs like “Wilkommen Raumbruder” as if this were a 1960s hippie gathering. Angela cautiously walked towards the center of the campsite, followed by an interested Anders.

“We have been waiting!” a man in an alien suit shouted at the sky. “Welcome to our home! We are willing to go with you!”

“Ahh-doo-nay-va-so barahghas,” a man dressed in all red carrying a beer bottle said, “That’s an intergalactic space greeting. That means ‘hello, space brothers’.”

“Uh, hello,” Anders said.

“What’s going on here?” Angela said.

“A UFO party,” the man said.

“You’ve seen UFOs?” Anders asked.

“The last two nights,” the man said, “They’re drawn to our electric power. They hover over our power plant down there.”

He pointed at an ominous looking power plant at the end of the park.

“Everyone!” the man in the alien suit cried. “They are here! Space brothers!”

Angela and Anders looked at the plant, where they saw Miklos being led through a gate by a police officer. She looked at Anders, and they ran back to the car, where Anders pulled out binoculars to look at the plant.

“This place has got to have the highest level of security,” Angela said, “I mean, they wouldn’t let some hippies just walk in.”

“Just the kind of challenge they’re looking for,” Anders said.

“Who?” Angela asked.

Anders dialed his phone. Reinhard quickly picked up. “Lone Gunman.”

“It’s Anders,” Anders said, “Turn the tape recorder off.”

Reinhard paused. “Alright, it’s off.”

“Turn it off!” Anders repeated.

Angela heard Reinhard shouting something, including a couple curses, at Rudolf and Ragnar. “Alright, alright! It’s off.”

“How would you like to have, on your front page, the first substantiated photo of an alien?” Anders said.

“No way, an alien?” Reinhard said. “What do we have to do?”

“Just hack me some identification numbers,” Anders said.

7:44 AM

SECURITY PASS

Northwest Facility Mattawa, WA

P.I.N. NAME LEVEL

7593 Bergstrasse, Tom 5

5311 Stefansson, Victoria 5

AUTHORIZED FOR SECURITY ACCESS LEVEL INDICATED ABOVE

A printer beeped, spewing out two security passes. The security guard tore them off and walked out of the booth.

“We’re Stefansson and Bergstrasse,” Angela said.

“Personal identification number?” he asked.

“5311,” Angela said.

“7593,” Anders said.

“Open the trunk, please,” the guard said.

Angela popped the trunk as the man went to the back. He looked through it and closed it.

“Park in Lot 4,” he said, placing a sticker on the windshield and handing Angela the passes.

“Thanks,” Angela said, starting the car.

They parked and got out. Angela found an elevator and took it up to the first floor, where she and Anders found a sterile hallway with doors placed on both sides.

“Lander said he couldn’t get into Level 6, so that’s where we…” Anders said.

He pointed at a guard standing in front of a door with a sign reading “LEVEL 6 CLEARANCE ACCESS ONLY.” They continued walking to the end of the hallway and stopped.

“We have to go back, we have to go through that door,” Anders said.

“We’ll look suspicious going back,” Angela said.

“Well, we’ll have to find another access, then,” Anders said, “Come on.”

“Anders, they’re not going to let us,” Angela said.

The guard approached them. “Please come with me,” he said.

“Yeah, we’re lost, we’re just looking for the bathroom or something…” Anders said.

“Just proceed down the hallway,” the guard ordered.

“ Stop, Anders,” Angela said, “We’re agents with the Athanatoi.”

She pulled out her badge. “The Bureau of Defense sent us to conduct an investigation into the progress of your work.”

The guard shook his head. “Proceed down the hallway, please.”

At that moment, Anders broke away and ran towards the Level 6 door. The guard drew his gun, but Angela stepped in front of him.

“ANDERS, NO!” she shouted.

The guard shoved her out of the way just as Anders opened the door and vanished inside. A dozen other guards with assault rifles stormed in behind him. The guard grabbed Angela’s arm and began leading her away.

“Not again,” she muttered.

8:01 AM

Anders ran down the stairs, passing a sign that said:

NO ENTRY UNLESS:

1. Accompanied By a Staff Member Of High Voltage Research.

Or

2. Written Permission Obtained From Security Level 6

“So much for that,” Anders muttered.

He looked upstairs, finding the guards close behind. He reached the bottom of the stairs and found a catwalk leading from where he was to the next room, blocked by a sign. He tried jumping over it, but he missed and hit his leg. Anders continued limping down the catwalk as the guards closed on him. He finally reached the next room, where a large machine (or containment cell) sat in the middle, a red glass pane on one wall.

“Hold it!” a guard shouted. “I said hold it!”

The guards surrounded him and drew their guns. One grabbed Anders by the wrist and took his gun away. Anders put his hands up, preparing for the worst.

At that moment, Hans walked into the room, carrying a gun. “Let him go,” he ordered.

The guards shifted nervously, their guns still pointed at Anders’ head.

“Let him go!” Hans repeated. “You’ve done well. You’re dismissed.”

The guards lowered their guns and walked out of the room. Hans took Anders’ gun and handed it to Anders, who cautiously took it.

“I know how badly, how…very badly you want to look through that window…” he began.

Anders tried to look, but Hans got in his way.

“But it would be pointless,” Hans said, “It’s dead. After the Agadir incident in 1947, even at the brink of the Cold War, there was an secret conference attended by the Reich, the Soviet Commune, the Chinese Empire, Tawantinsuyu, both Indias, and the Eimericans, and it was agreed that should any alien survive a crash, the country that held that being would be responsible for its execution. I, uh… have the distinction of being one of three men to have executed such an individual.”

Anders stared at him, feeling both awestruck and betrayed. Hans scoffed and walked around the deserted room, gesturing to the containment cell.

“I was with the Athanatoi Foreign Division in Siam,” Hans explained, “While my son was busy fighting in the south, a UFO was sighted for five nights over Sukhothai. A Roman bomber crew shot it down, and a recovery team brought it to us. Maybe… it didn’t know what a gun was or perhaps they don’t show emotion but that… innocent and blank expression, almost human, as I pulled the trigger has haunted me…until I realized what you were doing. That’s why I come to you and will continue to come to you to atone for what I’ve done, how I’ve betrayed myself. And maybe sometime, through you, the truth will be known.”

Anders looked through the window, finding only an empty cot. Hans opened a door and led Anders outside.

“You’re awfully quiet, Anders,” Hans said.

“I’m wondering which lie to believe, Uncle,” Anders said, “I thought you were family.”

Hans chuckled and walked away. Angela appeared from another door, and she approached Anders as they watched Hans walk away.

“Grandpa!” Angela shouted.

Hans didn’t answer. He disappeared into the morning fog.

The Rice Belt would be renamed to the Crescent Belt (because Fertile Crescent).
The lead belt would also include Transylvania because it has a lot of raw materials.
The Salt Belt would be Britannia, northern Germania, and Frisia.
Pine Belt: sure, it can be Israel and Egypt. Might also include Syria and Jordan too.
Wheat belt: entire eastern Mediterranean and Egypt
Stroke belt: wouldn't have an equivalent here
Jell-O belt: wouldn't have an equivalent here (since Norse are more assimilated than Mormons)
Arabian Oil belt: makes sense.
Snow belt: Caledonia and northern Germania
Liberated Belt: former Occupied Territories
Amazon Belt: Quechua provinces of Neurhomania
Malian belt: makes sense
Kebab Belt: Turks aren't really a large minority, but they're more like African Americans I think, so they'd probably have the equivalent of the Black Belt somewhere in Mesopotamia and eastern Anatolia.
We can also throw in a “Bismarck belt” for the Reich’s central and southern African holdings since most of that area was claimed under Bismarck´s chancellorship and we really don’t talk much about Roman provinces outside of Europe, the Middle East, North Africa or Neurhomania. Plus I think it sounds cool.:p
Valentin was only in power for two years. I don't think it's long enough to develop his own ideology. He'd probably just have a nationalist brand of equalism.
I can see that, through I was thinking of the idea that maybe in the decades of his military career before his rise to power, he would develop his own personal brand of equalism quietly before his rise to power based on his experiences from WW2 and the Budapest and Prague uprisings before he became the dictator of the Soviets and implemented some of it, kind of like how the ideologies of Angelos and Gandhi developed before there rise to power.
Also pre Desert Storm Mexico might have been able to implent Apartheid because of their supply of resources (oil in particular) and war profiteering from WW3 before they were punished in the Gulf Wars. Are there still a significant population of Mayans in Mexico by the way, particularly in the Yucatan?

Also looks like Hans just put himself in a “Boy Who Cried Wolf” situation there. I picture it being hard for Angela and Anders to trust him again after this.

Last edited:
We can also throw in a “Bismarck belt” for the Reich’s central and southern African holdings since most of that area was claimed under Bismarck´s chancellorship and we really don’t talk much about Roman provinces outside of Europe, the Middle East, North Africa or Neurhomania. Plus I think it sounds cool.:p
A Bismarck belt sounds cool. We could also include a "Pagan Belt" for Britannia, Hibernia, Caledonia, Hispania, and eastern Poland (all areas with or had large pagan populations in the past).
I can see that, through I was thinking of the idea that maybe in the decades of his military career before his rise to power, he would develop his own personal brand of equalism quietly before his rise to power based on his experiences from WW2 and the Budapest and Prague uprisings before he became the dictator of the Soviets and implemented some of it, kind of like how the ideologies of Angelos and Gandhi developed before there rise to power.
Well, Valentin mostly stayed out of the public eye before Prague. Afterwards, he went into politics, and even though he got a cabinet position, he remained mostly loyal to the General Secretary and stayed out of the spotlight. This would make his coup all the more unexpected by the General Secretary and his supporters. And he would already have significant public support because many people would be unhappy by Gorbachev. Personally, I think he would be the type to make backroom deals with generals and politicians sympathetic to his vision of the Soviet Commune, slowly building up his power and influence from behind the scenes instead of aggressively promoting his form of equalism that could attract the wrong attention from the General Secretary.
Also pre Desert Storm Mexico might have been able to implent Apartheid because of their supply of resources (oil in particular) and war profiteering from WW3 before they were punished in the Gulf Wars. Are there still a significant population of Mayans in Mexico by the way, particularly in the Yucatan?
I'm sure PARA wouldn't have done apartheid, because that would run counter to equalism. The right-wing dictatorship that succeeded it would've sought to assimilate minorities like the Zapotecs, Tarascans, Tlaxcalans, and Mayans into mainstream Nahua culture. In their eyes, this is an easier way towards national unity than segregation. The reason the real South Africa did apartheid was because it was dominated by a white minority fearing a politically active black majority would push them out of power. Ethnic Nahua already form the majority in most of Mexico, so there's no need to disenfranchise the minorities. But I will say that it would theoretically be possible.

As for Mayans, there are still a lot of Mayans in the Yucatan and Guatemala, though there are also a lot of provinces there that are majority Nahua scattered all over the place. Should make for a very interesting early 21st century.;)
Also looks like Hans just put himself in a “Boy Who Cried Wolf” situation there. I picture it being hard for Angela and Anders to trust him again after this.
Yep, I don't think either of them would trust him again.
So any aliens who land on Earth are killed? Wouldn't the alien nations sending them consider the execution of their citizens a declaration of war?
The aliens don't really care. Otherwise they would've put more effort into recovering the alien who crashed in Heppeheim. And they've got other things to worry about in space.:p

But seriously, I will be explaining why the aliens aren't reacting in a later part.

Oh yes, just execute all the aliens that managed to cross the cosmos and start trying to reverse engineer their tech. What could possibly go wrong?

Yep, those are good points. Also you may want to double check your table of contents again because I noticed that the link for George Orwell links back to Dr. Suess first even through he isn’t listed there. Just a heads up.:) And I will be referring to them by their pen names just because it is much easier and faster to remember them.

We can also include a ¨Persian belt¨ for the Reich´s border provinces with Persia because I think they might be still populated with Persians. We can also refer to the the Middle East (Israel-Arabia specifically) as ¨the Abrahamic/Jewish belt¨due to being the holy land for all Abrahamic faiths and its majority Jewish population.

Last edited:
Oh yes, just execute all the aliens that managed to cross the cosmos and start trying to reverse engineer their tech. What could possibly go wrong?
Worst case scenario, I just trigger the event chain that starts a nuclear war and sends me back to the medieval period. Then we have to go back to CK2 and play from the beginning again.:p
Yep, those are good points. Also you may want to double check your table of contents again because I noticed that the link for George Orwell links back to Dr. Suess first even through he isn’t listed there. Just a heads up.:) And I will be referring to them by their pen names just because it is much easier and faster to remember them.
I listed the Dr. Seuss post in both categories because it had both Orwell and Seuss stuff. I may change it later today, though.
We can also include a ¨Persian belt¨ for the Reich´s border provinces with Persia because I think they might be still populated with Persians. We can also refer to the the Middle East (Israel-Arabia specifically) as ¨the Abrahamic/Jewish belt¨due to being the holy land for all Abrahamic faiths and its majority Jewish population.
Actually, most of eastern Iraq consists of Jewish Kurds, and there aren't many Persians there. But we could refer to Arabia as the Abrahamic Belt for its importance to the Abrahamic faiths.

The Wellspring, Part 1

Stettin, Pomerania – May 8, 1994, 7:32 PM

A car sped down a small hill in the road, followed by a police car with sirens blaring. It went up another short hill and caught a few feet of air as it went over. The police car did the same, as if this were a scene from an action movie. As it approached a set of railroads, the car swerved sharply to the left, a passing train honking its horn as the police car followed, narrowly missing the train cars. The man in the car looked at his rear-view mirror, while the police officer struggled to keep up.

“About your request for assistance, Fifty, what is your present location?” the woman on the APB wire said. “Unit Fifty, go ahead.”

The car raced through a gate into a shipyard, the officer not far behind.

“Suspect is now westbound,” the officer radioed, “Has entered the shipyard off Aprilstrasse. Unit Fifty still in pursuit, over.”

“Unit Fifty, I copy,” the woman said, “Be advised when you are...”

A truck suddenly backed up, and the car ahead swerved around it. The officer looked at his partner and then slammed on the brakes, driving around the truck. Up ahead, the car drove to a pier with no escape, smashing into some boxes and coming to a halt. The two officers got out of their car and approached the man. The first officer pulled out a bullhorn.

“This is the police!” he shouted. “Pull your vehicle over and step out! Stop your vehicle. Put your hands on the roof and freeze!”

The car backed up, turned, and drove straight at him. The officer got out of its way in time, and it slammed into a brick wall. The man got out and stumbled over a box as he ran towards a nearby fence and jumped. The second officer hit him in the back of the knee with his baton, sending him falling. He tried to get up, but both officers struck him with their batons.

“Get down there!” the second officer ordered.

“On the ground! Do it!” the first officer demanded.

The second officer continued jabbing him with his baton. “Did you hear me?”

“Face down!” the first officer said. “Do it!”

“Stay there! Get down!” the second officer said, striking his head.

A second police car pulled up. The man shrugged off the last blow to the head as if it wasn’t more than a tap. As the first officer swung his baton again, the man grabbed it and wrenched it out of the officer’s hands. He then slammed it into the officer’s kneecap. The officer screamed in agony and collapsed. The man then hit the second officer in the stomach and then slammed it into his face, knocking him down. A third and fourth officer got out of the second car and ran towards the man. The man simply hit the third officer in the chest, knocking him down. The fourth officer, a young man, drew his taser and fired, two conductors flying out and hitting the man in the chest. He simply looked down and pulled them out. As the fourth officer looked on in horror, he ran up a flight of stairs. Two more police cars pulled up.

The fourth officer drew his gun. “Stop! Armed officer!”

When the man didn’t stop, he fired, hitting the man in the side. All he did was flinch. The officer fired again as the man jumped off the stairs and into the water at a distance that could only be rivaled by the best Olympic swimmers. The fourth officer stared at the water as his colleagues ran up to him.

“Frak, I hit him,” he said, “I know I hit him. Where the hell did he go? He'd be bleeding bad.”

He noticed some strange green spots on the step where the man had been. He looked at the other officers in confusion.

Anders’ apartment, Psamathia District. Constantinople – 7:54 AM

It was a slow Sunday for Anders. He had nothing to do that day, so he just dozed off on his couch while the TV played. An opened bag of sunflower seeds lay next to him. On the TV, two scientists, a man and a woman talked with each other.

“...off the coast of Sicily,” the male scientist said.

“But, but theirs is a very light larvae,” the female scientist said.

“That's exactly what stumped me. Because inside there must be something, the weight of the heaviest rock in existence.”

“But, professor, that... that would be Icelandic peridotite.”

“Precisely.”

“There's a piece chipped off.”

“By me.”

“Well, what, what's the rock inside?”

“Icelandic peridotite, naturally. When I saw this, I stopped chipping.”

“In a rock from Iceland?”

Anders picked up the phone. “Hello?”

“Are you watching Channel 8?” Hans said.

Hans hung up. Anders hung up and turned to the TV.

“...across the world,” the female scientist said.

“What's your conclusion?” the male scientist asked.

“Science does not jump to conclusions,” the female scientist said, “Science is not a guessing game...”

Anders picked up his remote and jumped to Channel 8, where the news was on. A female reporter stood at a pier in Stettin, surrounded by police cars.

“...Shipyard, where a sixty-mile high speed car chase ended early this evening,” she said, “The suspect eluded capture by leaping into the harbor but not before reportedly injuring several local police officers.”

Anders took a cassette tape and put it in the VCR, pushing the record button.

“We have Captain Rudolf Lacerio standing by,” the reporter said, approaching a police officer, “Captain? How did the man escape and how seriously injured were the officers involved?”

“Those details are still unclear,” Lacerio said, “I'll be talking with several of the off...”

Another man walked over. “We need you, Captain.”

“I'm sorry, you'll have to excuse me,” Lacerio said, walking away.

“Captain Lacerio here being pulled away during an intense manhunt,” the reporter said.

Anders watched as Lacerio walked past a number of people, some of whom were obviously not police officers and wore trench coats. He swore he saw a few RSB and Inquisition badges. He grabbed his remote and rewound the tape.

X-Division – 8:43 PM

Anders paused and rewound the tape again, focusing on the men in the background. Angela, sitting at her desk, sighed again.

“You’ve been through this tape a hundred times, and it’s getting late,” she said, “What exactly are you hoping to find?”

“I don't know,” Anders said.

He pushed a button on a machine, and a printer spat out a picture of the current shot. It was of the men in trench coats. Looking at the picture, a man at the front was very conspicuous. He had a very distinctive crew-cut.

“All Grandpa told you to was to watch Channel 8?” Angela asked.

“Yeah, that's all he said,” Anders said.

“Do we even know why the suspect was being chased?” Angela asked.

“As far as I can tell, he wouldn't pull over for speeding ticket,” Anders said.

“Well, that ought to put him in the Ten Most Wanted list,” Angela said.

“There's got to be something here,” Anders said, “Some detail. Something we're not seeing.”

He printed out a picture of the silver car the man was driving. Angela looked at it.

“How do you know Grandpa’s not just yanking your chain?” Angela said. “He did plenty of that when we were kids.”

“Why would he do that?” Anders said. “He’s family.”

“Well, he has lied to you by his own admission,” Angela said.

“I don't think Uncle would call if there wasn't something here,” Anders said, “Something I was supposed to see. Something he wants me to see.”

“Then what are you missing?” Angela said.

“We need to go to Stettin,” Anders said.

Aprilstrasse Shipyard, Stettin, Pomerania – May 9, 1994, 1:14 PM

Lacerio looked at the picture of the various people as Angela and Anders looked at him. Shaking his head, he handed them back to Anders.

“Well, I don't know if you were aware, but there were three different law enforcement agencies out here last night,” Lacerio said, “And that’s not counting the RSB and the Inquisition. Don’t know why even the Church itself is interested.”

“Hunting a man on a speeding ticket?” Anders said. “Guess God hates speeders.”

“I know it's not Silence of the Sheep, but it's what we do,” Lacerio said.

“The man in the photograph doesn't appear to be wearing a badge or a uniform,” Anders said, “He's not one of yours?”

“No, sir,” Lacerio said, “But like I said, it was a zoo out here. Could’ve been with the RSB guys. Has the wardrobe and swagger.”

“You say the suspect was shot,” Anders said, “Any explanation why the body hasn't been recovered yet?”

Angela watched a scuba diver jumping off a patrol boat into the harbor.

“Well, has you can see, we've got our search ongoing,” Lacerio said, “Divers' always down there in shifts. We're quite certain he'll be found.”

“It's been almost eighteen hours, Captain,” Anders said, “Where could the body be?”

“Well, there are cables and debris all over the bottom,” Lacerio said, “Leftovers from the Soviet era and the war. It's a painstaking business cleaning up their mess. By the way, can I ask what the Athanatoi's interest in this case would be?”

“The suspect matches the description of a national fugitive,” Angela said.

“Really?” Lacerio said. “How's that? No description of the suspect has been released.”

“It’s classified,” Angela said.

“If you don't mind, can we take a look at the car, please?” Anders asked.

“It's been taken to impound,” Lacerio said.

Impound – 2:05 PM

Anders sat in the car, while Angela read the report, flipping through the pages.

“The report says that the car was registered to a local rental agency,” she said, “They had no idea the car was even missing. You know, Anders, I think that we're wasting our time here.”

Anders got out of the car. “I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to find. You can't make out the license plate in this photo.”

He leaned against a red van next to the car, looking at the picture again. Then he found something and motioned for Angela to come over.

“Hey, Angie, look at this,” Anders said.

“What?” Angela said.

Anders pointed at the photo. “Look at the windshield.”

There was a sticker on the windshield in the photo. The car they were looking at did not have it.

“It's not the same car,” Angela said.

Anders shook his head.

X-Division, Constantinople – May 10, 1994, 10:58 AM

“It's called a caduceus,” Angela said, looking at the sticker in the photo with a magnifying glass, “It's sort of the adopted symbol of the medical profession.”

“So, probably, only a doctor would have that on his car,” Anders said.

“Yep,” Angela said, “Even Demetrios has one.”

Anders fast-forwarded his recording frame by frame, and Angela noticed the quality was better.

“I had the picture enhanced—thank the Lone Gunmen—and the plate is different,” Anders said, "3-A-Y-F."

“Fast-forward,” Angela said, “I can’t see the rest.”

“That's all you can make out,” Anders said, “The rest is obscured.”

Angela fast-forwarded through the tape while Anders called someone.

“Hey, Daniel Bernstein?” he said. “Danny, it's me, Anders. I need you to run a Pomerania plate for me. All I got is a partial. Registered to a doctor. Or used to be. Yeah, I'll hold.”

He looked at Angela. “They switched cars on us, Angie, and they lied about it.”

“Why would they do that?” Angela said.

“Maybe the, uh, real owner of the car has got something to hide,” Anders said, “Could explain why the RSB was there.”
“And the Inquisition?” Angela asked.

“Never there,” Anders said, “The badge I saw…it was also RSB.”

Emgen GmbH, Stettin, Pomerania – 4:54 PM

Angela and Anders walked up to a doctor working in his lab. He was busy pouring a reddish liquid from a flask into a container. Around him, monkeys chattered in their cages. He noticed them as they approached him.

“Doctor Berube?” Angela asked.

“Yes?” Berube said.

Angela held up her badge.

“We're with the Athanatoi, can we have a minute of your time?” Angela asked.

“I'm actually very busy,” Berube said.

“I'm sorry,” Angela said, “Are you aware that a car registered to you was involved in a high-speed chase in downtown yesterday?”

“Excuse me?” Berube said.

“A silver Civic, doctor,” Anders said, “Do you own a silver Bentian Civic?”

“Yes,” Berube said, “It was used for what?”

“A crime,” Anders said, “Were you aware that it was even missing?”

“Not until you mentioned it,” Berube said, “I have a housekeeper and she often uses the car.”

Angela tapped a cage, and a monkey lunged at her, screeching at the top of his lungs.

“Please!” Berube said. “”They should not be excited. Nothing should be touched. They're part of an experiment.”

“What kind of experiment?” Anders asked.

“Am I under some kind of suspicion?” Berube said.

“No,” Anders said.

“Then I think I've answered all your questions,” Berube said, “Now, if you'll excuse me, I have more work than time.”

“Thank you,” Angela said.

They walked outside and stopped near Angela’s car.

“Did he bite you?” Anders asked.

Angela shook her head. “Not even close.”

Anders looked at his watch. “Well, it’s almost five. We should check with the doctor's housekeeper about the car while we're out here.”

“No,” Angela said.

Anders stared at her. “What do you mean ‘no’?”

“I mean, this has reached the point of absurdity, Anders,” Angela said, “We're out here on half a hunch off of a cryptic phone call chasing down a, a clue that's based on nothing but speculation.”

“Well, that's all we've got,” Anders said.

“That's all he's given us,” Angela said, “What does Grandpa want with us? Why is he giving us this random information?”

“He's in a delicate position,” Anders said, “He has access to information and indiscretion could expose him.”

“You don't know that this isn't just a game with him,” Angela said, “He's toying with you. Rationing out the facts. You know he can do that. Now let’s go home.”

Anders’ apartment – 10:51 PM

As Anders got out of his car and walked to his apartment building, Hans approached him.

“Calling it a night, Anders?” Hans said.

“My mother usually likes me home before the street lights come on,” Anders said.

“If she was still with you, that is,” Hans said, “Though I’m not surprised she left, after what your father did.”

They continued walking.

“I'm surprised,” Hans said, “Your level of commitment seems to have diminished.”

“My level of commitment?” Anders asked.

“I should have expected that you'd be working through the night trying to put the pieces together,” Hans said.

“Well, maybe if you'd given me something more to work with,” Anders said.

“Under the circumstances, I've given you all I can,” Hans said.

“A news report?” Anders said.

“And where has it led you?” Hans asked.

“Not very far,” Anders said.

Hans chuckled. “It may be further than you realized.”

“You know, from day one, this has always been on your terms,” Anders said, “I've gone along. Been the dutiful nephew. But maybe this time, we can just cut out the Obi-Wan Kenobi crap and you can save me the trouble.”

“I fear you've become too dependent on me,” Hans said.

“Let me tell you something, Uncle,” Anders said, “I've got plenty to do without chasing down your vague leads or trying to decode your circular logic. Maybe it's you who's become too dependent on me... on my willingness to play your games. I’m not a kid anymore.”

He started off.

“Anders?” Hans asked.

“What?” Anders said.

Hans walked up to him. “Don't give up on this one. Trust me. You've never been closer.”

“Closer to what?” Anders asked.

Hans sighed and walked away.

Emgen GmbH – 11:04 PM

Berube sat at his desk, looking through a microphone. A monkey rolled around in his cage and shouted repeatedly, like a dog would bark. Berube looked at him for a second. Deciding nothing was wrong, he went back to his work. The door unlocked, and a man with a crew-cut walked in, remaining in the shadows.

“Hello?” Berube said. “Who's there?”

“Working late tonight, doctor?” the crew-cut man said.

Berube got up from his desk. “What do you want here?” he asked.

The crew-cut man walked into the light. “He's alive, isn't he? Has he contacted you?”

“Please,” Berube said, “You're going to have to leave.”

The crew-cut man banged on the cages, riling up the monkeys.

“If you're from the Athanatoi, I've already answered all your questions!” Berube said.

The crew-cut man walked over to Berube’s desk. “What questions?”

“I had nothing to say to them,” Berube said, “I have nothing to say to you.”

“Where's Doctor Wolfgang Sigurd?” the crew-cut man demanded.

“I don't know what you're talking about,” Berube said.

The crew-cut man chuckled to himself.

“Please,” Berube pleaded, “My work is very important. I must get on with my work.”

The crew-cut man faced Berube and took out a string of medical gauze. “I’m afraid…your work is done.”

He lunged at Berube, and the monkeys shrieked.

Shipyard

A scuba diver surfaced, looking at Lacerio and the patrol boat crew. He waved his hands, signaling he had found nothing. Lacerio sighed and turned to the other officers.

“That's it, I'm calling it off,” he said, “Get those guys out of the water.”

He walked away. The patrol boat start moving away, while the officers got in their cars and drove off. None of them noticed Doctor Wolfgang Sigurd sticking his head out of the water and looking around.

Worst case scenario, I just trigger the event chain that starts a nuclear war and sends me back to the medieval period. Then we have to go back to CK2 and play from the beginning again.:p
I´m pretty sure that SVI will make nuclear weapons obsolete and TTL won´t have to deal with the danger of a nuclear war anymore. That is, once the bugs and issues are fixed.:p I´m wondering how the other countries like China and India reacted to SVI through and did some countries begin dismantling their nuclear arsenal? India might have but I´m not sure about China.:confused:

Also this chapter has something to do with Angels doesn´t it, what other reason would you expect for the Inquisition to be involved in this case.:p

While I’m at it, can I point out the irony that Anders told Hans to quit being Obi Wan when his name is, well, Hans?:D

By the way, how is the Hippodrome in Constinaple doing now? I think you mentioned Charriot racing going out of style during the Renaissance back in EU4. So is it still a sports stadium at this point since I think it’s fully intact in TTL?

Last edited:
I´m pretty sure that SVI will make nuclear weapons obsolete and TTL won´t have to deal with the danger of a nuclear war anymore. That is, once the bugs and issues are fixed.:p
Never underestimate how a bug can just "appear." And the Reich has enough nukes to target itself as well as everybody else.;)
I´m wondering how the other countries like China and India reacted to SVI through and did some countries begin dismantling their nuclear arsenal?
No country has disarmed their nukes, aside from Russia. China has begun work on its own SVI, but it hasn't gotten far yet.
Also this chapter has something to do with Angels doesn´t it, what other reason would you expect for the Inquisition to be involved in this case.:p
I don't seem to remember angels bleeding green, and that guy Anders thought was an Inquisitor was actually another annoying RSB agent...or is he?:p