My theory about DDRJake's teaser: it's Ticino

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jalinar

Sergeant
21 Badges
Jan 9, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
Ticino is the river between Novara and Milan, northern Italy.

Here is it's frame:

index.php

Here Ticino in 1.25 map:

PQmnnSM.png

LhBSSKy.png

Here Ticino in a more accurate map:

koT675X.png

So new borders show the province of Milan split in two, as well as Novara.

Last edited:
Does that mean that we are getting a rework of Italy? I was expecting Iberia, but more flavour to Italy is always appreciated :D

As for shadows, I don't think it really matters when they can rotate light and point of view as showed in CoC trailer, where shadows fell towards west, not north as in the game.

rVuy820.png

I really hope it's an Italian expansion!
But considering how @Trin Tragula loves India, I'm still doubtful about an Imperial or Italian DLC.

Last edited:
Very nice find in the map it seems to fit.
Also i'd like to add that the whole government rework fits as a smaller feature in a larger expansion focusing on italy region because italian city states had huge populations comparable to lets say the whole English kingdom at the time but they were politically totally divided (pro pope states vs pro holy roman emperor etc)
Also i remember from another dev diary that "merchant republics" are not represented good enough with the current system, and italy starts with 2 of those. Its a good bet for the expansion to focus , at least partly, in italy

I was expecting Iberia,
They confirmed in the first DD that it wasn’t Iberia.
But considering how @Trin Tragula loves India, I'm still doubtful about an Imperial or Italian DLC.
You’re forgetting that Groogy was brought on board for this expansion, and @Groogy is a pretty big HRE fan.

I’m personally hoping for an HRE-Italy focus. Both areas need some work and they would pair together really nicely with the government reforms.

I hope you're right, Italy with more provinces and this government type DLC would be an incredibly fun expansion. Really hoping its not India because Europe just looks weird with all the tiny detailed provinces in England and France and the huge provinces in Iberia and average provinces in Italy and the HRE, which historically were extremely fragmented. Plus I have little interest in playing in India unless I'm invading India either from Europe or to form Mughals, but perhaps that is simply personal preference.

Sounds plausible. I hope the update is not limited to Italy, but to the HRE and its surroundings in general. Just like with 1.23, which had ~80 new provinces.

Updated Savoy. I'm all for it.

rework of the map is usually just a nerf to the dev in the old states, making nations there spend more state slots to state same land.

for all i care, they shouldn't do these map reworks.

if i see new ireland states, i think "worthless" immediatly, whereas it was two really good states before, making stating ireland and accepting culture worthwile.

either they reform entire map at once, or nothing...

vein hope, but oh well :p

rework of the map is usually just a nerf to the dev in the old states, making nations there spend more state slots to state same land.

if i see new ireland states, i think "worthless" immediatly, whereas it was two really good states before, making stating ireland and accepting culture worthwile.

It makes for a more strategical setting and a detailled map is always welcome, because EU4 is basically a province-based map-game.

Sounds plausible. I hope the update is not limited to Italy, but to the HRE and its surroundings in general. Just like with 1.23, which had ~80 new provinces.

Updated Savoy. I'm all for it.
I’d be surprised if it were just Italy. Groogy has said last week it will be a larger expansion the size of CoC or RoM. As much stuff there is to add in Italy, I don’t see it as being enough to be of the same size as those expansions. HRE and Italy just go together too well, and both areas share a bit in common, not to mention they both could use more provinces, tags, ideas, and unit packs (Savoy especially so).

If it is northern Italy, even mostly spreading around dev SHOULD still result in high dev total provinces. As it stands, the area is just flatly inferior to Northern India and the low country to Brittany stretch. This region ought to be second only to China's seaboard.

Ireland was only good when minors pumped dev. Too much grain and fish before.

If it is northern Italy, even mostly spreading around dev SHOULD still result in high dev total provinces. As it stands, the area is just flatly inferior to Northern India and the low country to Brittany stretch. This region ought to be second only to China's seaboard.

Ireland was only good when minors pumped dev. Too much grain and fish before.
Since development is an average of 1444-1821, I’d argue the Low Countries should be on par with Northern Italy.

Just a reminder that it could easily be the Bengal Delta, too.

index.php

Here Ticino in 1.25 map:

PQmnnSM.png

Kind of a random question... Are your graphics not at max or did the water get an HD facelift? The picture DDRJake gave us looks a lot better, it actually has whitecaps.

Why would Bengal be part of a very eurocentric looking change to governmental system? I reckon the expansion will be called the prince, and hopefully focus on Italy and the Italian wars.
Well, I certainly hope you're right about it being Italy and surroundings.

Ehhhh I think it's India.
Latest image from Jake's twitter:
DbCIoRBWkAAhfkw.jpg
What I found:
20180417222639_1 - Copy.jpg

Where I found it:
20180417222639_1.jpg

Obviously I can't get the same angle, but the grass, trees, and rivers are right. Damn, I was hoping for Italy. But unfortunately, Italy doesn't have any terrain that matches that ground color...

I'd be fine with India, but I prefer HRE focus as I play there the most.

But. Ticino, as in conquered by the Swiss in the 15th century? Hype for Switzerland and an Alte Eidgenossenschaft patch! Yeah! Must be, because if the expansion is a big one, only Switzerland comes to mind. No bigger country. No bigger history. No bigger ego. ;)