• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 10th of April 2018

Good day! Today we're getting right into the dev diary by continuing on from last week, where we announced large changes to the Government System in Europa Universalis IV. Last week we talked about Monarchies, today, by popular request, let's look at Republics.

I'll start by re-iterating that these changes will not result in the removal of special government mechanics with or without the expansion. The Militarization of the Prussian Monarchy, Mamluk Government Interactions, Dutch republic mechanics etc will all still be in the game, and tied to Government Reforms rather than being a specific government type in itself.

Also the new government reforms are part of the upcoming yet unannounced Expansion Pack. For those who get the 1.26 update but not the expansion, you will still have access to the different government mechanics, but not the new reform choices seen below.

Most Serene.png

Our Government Reforms interface is coming along, with significantly fewer placeholders than before. Now, outside of Hordes, Republics are my favourite government types. No regencies ever, control over which monarch points you get, ruler generals aplenty. That said it's clear to see that since Absolutism arrived on the scene, they have been left feeling a little lackluster, not to mention they have always been that bit too inflexible.

With that in mind, the Republican Reform path contains up to ten different reforms, putting them ahead as the most diverse set we're adding. Let's see what's on offer (all values and effects very subject to balance and change)

• Oligarchy vs Merchant Class vs Noble Elite
    • Oligarchy: +5% Tax, elections every 4 Years
    • Merchants: Enables Merchant Republic mechanics, -10 max Absolutism
    • Noble Elite: +0.25 Army Tradition, + Nobility Estate influence, elections every 8 years
    • Presidential Despot:
    • Revolutionary Republic - (Special for Revolutionary Target)
    • [Other Special Republics]
  • Republican Virtues
    • Autocratic: -1 Unrest
    • Nepotism: Each candidate get +1 random stat
    • Republicanism: +0.2 republican tradition
  • Frequent Elections vs consolidation of power
    • -1 years between elections, -10 max absolutism
    • +1 year between elections, +10 max absolutism
  • Federalism vs Unitarism vs Confederacy
    • Provincial Governments: -25% State Maintenance
    • Administrative Divisions: +5 States
    • Union of States: +10% Global Trade Power
    • Seizure of Power: [HIDDEN]
  • Parliamentary vs Presidential
    • Parliamentary: Enables Parliaments if Common Sense DLC, else -1 Unrest
    • Presidential Rule: -10% Institution Embracement Cost
  • Consolidation of Power
    • Broaden Executive powers: -15% Stability cost
    • Devolution of powers: +1 Diplomat
  • Guiding Principle of Administration
    • Political Principle - +1 [HIDDEN]
    • Moral Principle - +1 [HIDDEN]
  • Electorate
    • Landholders: +10% Manpower Recovery Speed
    • Citizenry: +10% Land Morale
  • Office Selection
    • Sortition: -0.05 Yearly Corruption
    • Universal Suffrage: +1 Accepted Culture
  • Question of Dictatorship
    • Seize Executive Power: Become Monarchy, lose 4 reforms
    • Proclaim Divine Guidance: Become a Theocracy, lose 6 reforms
    • Strengthen executive powers: +25 Max Absolutism
    • Reinforce Republican Values: +1 [HIDDEN] -25% Republican Tradition Cost of re-elections
    • Revolutionary Empire (For Revolutionary Target): Makes ruler into a Dictator
Next week we will round off by looking at what's in store for Theocracies and Tribals with these government changes. After-which we might even start hinting at where this upcoming expansion and Update focuses on.

Except the absolutism nerf, which indeed makes it an interesting decision.
I'm thinking there could be an early build for a republic, that goes into more power, and whatever else is needed in the early game, and then you somehow roll back the reforms, and as absolutism appears, you have a new, absolutism focused build, perhaps with unrest reduction, but since we don't exactly know all the changes yet, optimal routes are speculation at best.

Agreed. The game needs more tradeoffs to set it apart from simple min-maxing.

Trade offs don't really exist in EU4. The sliders of EU2 and EU3 were specifically designed to be trade offs that applied to all countries. That philosophy was specifically turned away from EU4 - the all bonuses all the time is not an accident. EU4 is designed so that if someone wants to have a Quality, Quantity, Offensive, Defensive army - they can do that.

Maybe in EU5 there will be some form of give/take costs involved in Ideas/Events/Policies, but I do not expect EU4 will ever have that. It is just not part of the core design philosophy.

Great! I have hope that by the way it will be changed mechanism of Elective Monarchy. I would like have mechanism which give strong reason (bonus) and possibility to retain Jagiellon dynasty on throne by longer time (as was historically) and more chance that ruler will be elected from another country than from Austria, because diplomatic reputation has too more influence on this now. In my opinion costs of prestige for support local heir are extremely too much and retain local dynasty has no sense now. Additionaly, AI doesn't support local heir.

Does this mean you'll withdraw that glob-forsaken, stupid Nerf gun that you fired on Merchant Republics that essentially makes them unplayable? I'm talking about the penalties to Republican Tradition if you have more than three or four (or so) States. It essentially makes it impossible to effectively expand and dominate as Merchant Republic.

On the other note, will you ever add a proper republican government to Novgorod and the Vechy Republics so that, when you form Russia, you aren't railroaded into a monarchy?! One of my best games involved me uniting Russia as Novgorod before "Third Rome", and I got to keep my Republic government. It doesn't make any since that Novgorod would instantly crown a Tsar if it formed Russia. It was the biggest mistake that "Third Rome" introduced, and that's saying something.

@DDRJake You had said that this feature will be free but now its claimed as part of expansion should i interpret it as paid or unpaid feature
There were only 2 DDs so far and both of them mentioned the feature is part of the expansion [right in the opening].
Unless I missed some dev post/reply I'm not sure where you got this info.

There were only 2 DDs so far and both of them mentioned the feature is part of the expansion [right in the opening].
Unless I missed some dev post/reply I'm not sure where you got this info.

If you don't own the expansion, you will have the new reform system, however the reforms will be a select group that will give you similar effects to like it did before this patch.
As an example the Ambrosian Republic government reform looks like this(of course preliminary values subject to change!!!):
Code:
#Special for Milan
ambrosian_republic_legacy = {
    # government mechanics flags go here
    legacy_government = yes
    unique_government = yes
    valid_for_new_country = no
    allow_convert = yes

duration = 4

republican_name = yes
    royal_marriage = no

valid_for_nation_designer = yes
    nation_designer_cost = 10 
    max_states = 2

allowed_ranks = { 1 2 3 }
    republic = yes
    modifiers = {
        global_tax_modifier = 0.10
        land_morale = 0.05
        global_autonomy = -0.025 
        max_absolutism = -30
    }
}

Trade offs don't really exist in EU4. The sliders of EU2 and EU3 were specifically designed to be trade offs that applied to all countries. That philosophy was specifically turned away from EU4 - the all bonuses all the time is not an accident. EU4 is designed so that if someone wants to have a Quality, Quantity, Offensive, Defensive army - they can do that.

Maybe in EU5 there will be some form of give/take costs involved in Ideas/Events/Policies, but I do not expect EU4 will ever have that. It is just not part of the core design philosophy.
Well it is a damn shame because the EU4 era is so interesting but the game gets boring because it caters to the lowest common denominator.

Does this mean you'll withdraw that glob-forsaken, stupid Nerf gun that you fired on Merchant Republics that essentially makes them unplayable? I'm talking about the penalties to Republican Tradition if you have more than three or four (or so) States. It essentially makes it impossible to effectively expand and dominate as Merchant Republic.
Merchant republics aren't for playing wide, they're for playing tall. What they should have however is a way to become some different form of republic if they get to wide.

at this point Parliament is a pain to deal with and a rather pointless mechanic. Why would anyone pick it (except for Era criteria)?
Because Parliament is great. If you have a Parliament you don't have to assign Nobles any provinces, and unlike with the nobility estate there's no autonomy floor for Parliament provinces. Any province that's in parliament just gets straight up bonuses to Manpower, Tax, and Production efficiency... Provinces assigned to nobles just get a 25% autonomy floor for Tax and Production, in exchange for 20% local manpower and some defensiveness.

As for it being a "pain to deal with" - compared to estates? I don't think so. With estates they're constantly asking for more land as you expand, begging to take more slices out of the pie, and what you get in return from them basically remains the same.. But with Parliament seats? You just assign them wherever you want the bonuses the most and it's done. No annoying "choose a stabhit or steep loyalty reduction" events, no penalties for doing the wrong thing, no using up your +Loyalty interaction then getting screwed by an event. Just positive province modifiers and bonuses from debates.

Did I mention that as an English Monarchy, all the events that force you to choose between pissing off the Nobles or something else, let you pick that option with no downside since you don't have nobles?

As for the debates mechanic, it isn't perfect but it can still be really nice. There are some no-brainer decisions like spending 10 Legitimacy in bribes to pass an issue that gives 10 Legitimacy and +1 legitimacy/year for 10 years. There are two issues that give an instant +1 Stability, and another that gives you an extra Colonist and Settler Chance that can be great early on. And if you play your cards right, you can get these bonuses at the paltry cost of some money, a little Corruption (money), legitimacy (which you're usually capped on anyway), or spare church power.

You might dislike Parliament or think it doesn't have enough depth, but I don't know how anyone could say it's pointless. I wish every monarchy I play could have this instead of annoying nobles. Now that Slacken Recruitment Standards exists nobles aren't even necesary for manpower boosts... (Though sometimes I miss the mil points)

Seeing as Groogy's use of 'the' instead of leaving out 'the' we can assume it focuses on THE holy roman empire. government reforms certainly fit the hre topic well since the hre consists of all government types.

Seeing as Groogy's use of 'the' instead of leaving out 'the' we can assume it focuses on THE holy roman empire. government reforms certainly fit the hre topic well since the hre consists of all government types.
Or it could be the Renaissance, or the industrial revolution, or the xth century, or the early game midgame or late game, or any such concept.

Or it could be the Renaissance, or the industrial revolution, or the xth century, or the early game midgame or late game, or any such concept.
All of the dlcs released after rights of man have their focus on a region and the only one that has been released so far that can be said to have been focushed on a time period is art of war so it's very, very unlikely that the dlcs focus is a time period