• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 10th of April 2018

Good day! Today we're getting right into the dev diary by continuing on from last week, where we announced large changes to the Government System in Europa Universalis IV. Last week we talked about Monarchies, today, by popular request, let's look at Republics.

I'll start by re-iterating that these changes will not result in the removal of special government mechanics with or without the expansion. The Militarization of the Prussian Monarchy, Mamluk Government Interactions, Dutch republic mechanics etc will all still be in the game, and tied to Government Reforms rather than being a specific government type in itself.

Also the new government reforms are part of the upcoming yet unannounced Expansion Pack. For those who get the 1.26 update but not the expansion, you will still have access to the different government mechanics, but not the new reform choices seen below.

Most Serene.png

Our Government Reforms interface is coming along, with significantly fewer placeholders than before. Now, outside of Hordes, Republics are my favourite government types. No regencies ever, control over which monarch points you get, ruler generals aplenty. That said it's clear to see that since Absolutism arrived on the scene, they have been left feeling a little lackluster, not to mention they have always been that bit too inflexible.

With that in mind, the Republican Reform path contains up to ten different reforms, putting them ahead as the most diverse set we're adding. Let's see what's on offer (all values and effects very subject to balance and change)

• Oligarchy vs Merchant Class vs Noble Elite
    • Oligarchy: +5% Tax, elections every 4 Years
    • Merchants: Enables Merchant Republic mechanics, -10 max Absolutism
    • Noble Elite: +0.25 Army Tradition, + Nobility Estate influence, elections every 8 years
    • Presidential Despot:
    • Revolutionary Republic - (Special for Revolutionary Target)
    • [Other Special Republics]
  • Republican Virtues
    • Autocratic: -1 Unrest
    • Nepotism: Each candidate get +1 random stat
    • Republicanism: +0.2 republican tradition
  • Frequent Elections vs consolidation of power
    • -1 years between elections, -10 max absolutism
    • +1 year between elections, +10 max absolutism
  • Federalism vs Unitarism vs Confederacy
    • Provincial Governments: -25% State Maintenance
    • Administrative Divisions: +5 States
    • Union of States: +10% Global Trade Power
    • Seizure of Power: [HIDDEN]
  • Parliamentary vs Presidential
    • Parliamentary: Enables Parliaments if Common Sense DLC, else -1 Unrest
    • Presidential Rule: -10% Institution Embracement Cost
  • Consolidation of Power
    • Broaden Executive powers: -15% Stability cost
    • Devolution of powers: +1 Diplomat
  • Guiding Principle of Administration
    • Political Principle - +1 [HIDDEN]
    • Moral Principle - +1 [HIDDEN]
  • Electorate
    • Landholders: +10% Manpower Recovery Speed
    • Citizenry: +10% Land Morale
  • Office Selection
    • Sortition: -0.05 Yearly Corruption
    • Universal Suffrage: +1 Accepted Culture
  • Question of Dictatorship
    • Seize Executive Power: Become Monarchy, lose 4 reforms
    • Proclaim Divine Guidance: Become a Theocracy, lose 6 reforms
    • Strengthen executive powers: +25 Max Absolutism
    • Reinforce Republican Values: +1 [HIDDEN] -25% Republican Tradition Cost of re-elections
    • Revolutionary Empire (For Revolutionary Target): Makes ruler into a Dictator
Next week we will round off by looking at what's in store for Theocracies and Tribals with these government changes. After-which we might even start hinting at where this upcoming expansion and Update focuses on.

Hope the Strengthen Government trick for RT is still around, but it's nice I have a chance to have my cake and be absolute with it too.

There is no intention to remove "Strengthen Government"

@DDRJake
Will the new update be focused on the European country / region? And will the new DLC be an immersion pack?

We will talk about the focus in a later dev diary

The next expansion will be a $20 expansion akin to Rights of Man, Mandate of Heaven or Cradle of Civilization in terms of size, changes and features. It will not be an Immersion Pack like Rule Britannia or Third Rome.

@DDRJake
We will talk about the focus in a later dev diary

The next expansion will be a $20 expansion akin to Rights of Man, Mandate of Heaven or Cradle of Civilization in terms of size, changes and features. It will not be an Immersion Pack like Rule Britannia or Third Rome.
And that's what I was waiting for.
And in the next dev diary we will see changes on the map?
I am counting on a small spoiler ;)

Last edited:
Hey, so from the last DevDiary we learned thatthe reform progress decreases the higher average local autonomy.

Have you guys thought about, that stability could play a role, too?

I mean, at high stability, reform desire or the perception of needing to reform will certainly be lower: "Our realm/society is so well-off/harmonious/successful, any reform can only throw us back!"

That could add a badly needed twist to stability, which has only one-directional modifiers at the moment: high stability is unconditionally a good thing, low stabilty is unconditionally a bad thing. Even corruption has got an offset (unrest reduction).

So high stability could give -0.5 (or another number, you know) reform progress per stability point, which is added to the 10 yearly reform progress (before autonomy is factored in). At +3 stability we would then have only 8.5 reform progress.

Negative stabilty could give better reform progress OR we could argue, that it also decreases reform progress. People would say: " Look, we have more pressing things at our hands. First let's get the country on its feet again, before we can even think of pushing reforms...".

(btw there was a suggestion in the subforum, that proposed to have less settlers at high stability and more settlers at low stability, so this goes in the same direction...)

Just leaving here a quick sketch of what I mean. I guess this would add some juice to the stability mechanic.

Unbenannt.JPG

PS: re Ming and the celestial empire, where you need high stability to get manadate... - I guess they didn't reform too much in history anyway, did way?

@DDRJake
while you guys are changing/upgrading the goverment system.
Empires like the Brittish/Russian/Ottomans had tons of vassal states, however, with the current system its not efficient or practical to have multiple vassal or border states

could you consider giving "empire rank" empires 2 "free" vassal slots.
or perhaps, allow government reforms to grant a free vassal slot.

hyped for next week

Last edited:
@DDRJake The next expansion will be a $20 expansion akin to Rights of Man, Mandate of Heaven or Cradle of Civilization in terms of size, changes and features. It will not be an Immersion Pack like Rule Britannia or Third Rome.
@DDRJake
I would like to talk about the price of this DLC for Poland (in PLN).
The minimum wage in Poland is PLN 2,100 (around EUR 500), and there are high taxes.

@DDRJake
while you guys are changing/upgrading the goverment system.
Empires like the Brittish/Russian/Ottomans had tons of vassal states, however, with the current system its not efficient or practical to have multiple vassal or border states

could you consider giving "empire rank" empires 2 "free" vassal slots.
or perhaps, allow government reforms to grant a free vassal slot.

hyped for next week

if you start game in 1680s you'll see ottomans had 9/5 diplomatic relations because of these vassals :D and if you start game in 1800s you will see more than 15-20 british vassals lol

yeah agree with that. just because of this we suggested ottomans could have tributary states like in history. (even austria was tributary state of ottoman empire for a while)

Both.

My guess is that the restructure of how you manage the government of your country will be free, though some of the abilities though may be part of the DLC update, which will include other, some far unannounced, extensions.

Uh, so 3 times weeks of something about government. Seriously i expected atleast info about region target after sluggish weeks of last immersion packs diaries discouraging to observe on a regular basis. IMO there shouldn't be 3 weeks of same addition but mixed with rest of content, but well what can I do.
And there is no clue... Is it HRE ? We got nothing about vassal system/diplomacy/intrigue(spy?) mechanic rework or something new that should appear in this DLC (pressure and influence made on other countries? Something to not distinguish good players from great players only by blob rate and dev points, sorry if u disagree, maybe this would change eu4 too much into different game but i think this is good way, and this game is totally different from premiere version so why not )
Spain ? Colonies and maybe also some more realistic/anti blobbing mechanics ? Well we still don't know anything.
The great India and trade reworks ? (yea this is going to be more of my pretender every next dev diary, the other 2 need much more changes of other kind and there is already big government one, if i am right it's kinda sad because i really wanted HRE great again and Spain able to handle France)

And that's what I was waiting for.
And in the next dev diary we will see changes on the map?
I am counting on a small spoiler ;)

That's what you are waiting for but your only question is still unresponded, weird logic

@DDRJake
I would like to talk about the price of this DLC for Poland (in PLN).
The minimum wage in Poland is PLN 2,100 (around EUR 500), and there are high taxes.

Jesus christ.... even more weird logic. First of all how can there be regional prize reductions for pl if the game doesn't even have official polish language.
Second one, seriously there are countries in Europe (not to mention other continents...)with same or less minimal wage like Hungary, Macedonia, Turkey, Estionia, Croatia, czech republic, Romania etc etc, every country should have prize based of minimal wage or what ?

Well only thing i agree dlcs are overprized generally, on the one hand it's understandable due to having small own niche of players playing the game regularly and buying dlc, it's grand strategy game, not GTA V! On the second hand it discourages new buyers and people trying to be up to date with all features of the game making probably less profit than in case of lower prices(especially with older dlcs that should get real DLC packs, not those deceived packs with 2-3 real DLCs and rest misleading but giving almost 0 content ). But if i know well DDRJake isn't responsible for their pricing policy and you should try somewhere else.

Well i'll buy the new dlc anyway and i don't need to live in Germany or Sweden.(of course if it provide quality content), if we are here, maybe Poland doesn't deserve lower prices than the others, but own Immersion pack or DLC... sure!

Thanks for making it clearer! So what would happen for people without the expansion? Will is stay the same as how it's today? Or are the reforms just a part of the government's revamp?
And how much will modding be supported (with or without the expansion) ?
Vanilla currently allows modders to create any additional government type which we might desire, so will we be able to create our own reforms as well, even if modders or subscribers don’t have the expansion ?

Do the refroms of republics in any way change the title of the ruler, like choosing presidential making your ruler a president? Currently, republican titles are tied to government form, so just wondering how the title of the ruler is determined now.
I use this opportunity to once more request the revolutionary flag to be made available to every « revolutionary republic » (using the reform mechanic) and not only the revolution target, since these flags finally replaced most of the old (noble) country flags

A multiple-asked feature in the suggestion thread, which has been left unanswered... hopefully not this time ;)

Yes

Correct
Regarding modding, does this mean that custom reforms will still be available to everyone (the way custom government forms were), or only to the DLC’s owners.

I.e, if I created a special Swiss Republic government, and also allowed HRE free cities to create and take over leadership of trade leagues (if Lübeck disappears for example), will these custom made changes still be available to everyone as it used to be, or only to people owning UNANNOUNCED DLC

Hey, so from the last DevDiary we learned thatthe reform progress decreases the higher average local autonomy.

Have you guys thought about, that stability could play a role, too?

I mean, at high stability, reform desire or the perception of needing to reform will certainly be lower: "Our realm/society is so well-off/harmonious/successful, any reform can only throw us back!"

That could add a badly needed twist to stability, which has only one-directional modifiers at the moment: high stability is unconditionally a good thing, low stabilty is unconditionally a bad thing. Even corruption has got an offset (unrest reduction).

So high stability could give -0.5 (or another number, you know) reform progress per stability point, which is added to the 10 yearly reform progress (before autonomy is factored in). At +3 stability we would then have only 8.5 reform progress.

Negative stabilty could give better reform progress OR we could argue, that it also decreases reform progress. People would say: " Look, we have more pressing things at our hands. First let's get the country on its feet again, before we can even think of pushing reforms...".

(btw there was a suggestion in the subforum, that proposed to have less settlers at high stability and more settlers at low stability, so this goes in the same direction...)

Just leaving here a quick sketch of what I mean. I guess this would add some juice to the stability mechanic.

View attachment 357247

PS: re Ming and the celestial empire, where you need high stability to get manadate... - I guess they didn't reform too much in history anyway, did way?

Agreed. The game needs more tradeoffs to set it apart from simple min-maxing.

• Oligarchy: +5% Tax, elections every 4 Years
  • Merchants: Enables Merchant Republic mechanics, -10 max Absolutism
  • Noble Elite: +0.25 Army Tradition, + Nobility Estate influence, elections every 8 years
Does this mean that Merchant Republics don't have normal election cycles anymore?

None of these reforms have any downsides, side-effects, etc? So this is just a matter of gathering points and subsequently unlocking the bonus, just like it really happened in history?