• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Szemis

Corporal
38 Badges
May 6, 2016
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
It has been over 2 years since Snowfall was released. I was wondering if there has been any change in the possibly of adding changing season to the game, rather than specific maps for seasons?

Or is this just something that will simply never happen?

It will never happen. Snowfall was a failed attempt to add seasons to the game. The devs have stated we will not see it in this game. Although they haven't said as much, I suspect that to add it to the game would exceed minimum specs.

Indeed, it's still definitely winter here in Tampere. No change of seasons in sight I'm afraid.

So what you're saying is that snow maps in C:S are moddeled after RL Finland?

That actually makes sense, most places in the world thet get snow get it without temperature dipping to -30. Or worse...

Indeed, it's still definitely winter here in Tampere. No change of seasons in sight I'm afraid.

would it be possible to add a season preference toggle on the main menu? One that works with previous saves. This would allow people to see their cities in different seasons, but with out the need to code in dynamic seasonal changes.

thanks,

Weather, climate, and seasons is one thing that would greatly add depth to Cities: Skylines. Pity if changing seasons won't ever be added.

It could be nice. A meteo logical behavior. That's sounds very normal, one day its raining; and other day could be a fantastic sun weather, and finally the winter is coming.

Are there technical difficulties as you can't hammer it in the engine, performance differences such as memory bloat/ severe fps drop, plain lack of resources, or a mix of the above?

We looked into adding the changing seasons at it comes down to technical difficulties, earlier design (timescale etc), performances and also time and scope. Therefore we did the best we could with Snowfall and unfortunately there's no chance we'll get changing seasons for Cities: Skylines I'm afraid.

I do agree that this is something that we'll take into account in future games we should develop, as seasons do bring so much to the gameplay.

We looked into adding the changing seasons at it comes down to technical difficulties, earlier design (timescale etc), performances and also time and scope. Therefore we did the best we could with Snowfall and unfortunately there's no chance we'll get changing seasons for Cities: Skylines I'm afraid.

I do agree that this is something that we'll take into account in future games we should develop, as seasons do bring so much to the gameplay.
I understand, but I must ask, why must the timescale be so fast in the first place? It doesn't just affect the possibility of changing seasons, but also hampers the possibility of having a functional day/night cycle.

Also, would seasons be possible just as a mod?

Last edited:
If there's a Cities Skylines 2, different seasons would be very welcome :) .

Also, wow, I usually don't care about dislikes, but some of the ones I see/receive on this sub-forum really boggle my mind...

Cities Skylines 2 confirmed, with seasons ;)

Come on, we all know it's happening eventually. I just hope you have a notebook of stuff that couldn't make it into C:S but would be of great benefit for C:S2.