The 2017 Narrative AAR of the Year is Before Plantagenet - A House d'Anjou AAR by JabberJock14

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

coz1

GunslingAAR
29 Badges
May 16, 2002
hearthehurd.typepad.com
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
With 18 total voters and 28 different AARs selected, the honor for Narrative AAR of the Year in 2017 goes to our good friend @JabberJock14 for his excellent Before Plantagenet – A House d’Anjou AAR in CKII! Listed on 10 different ballots and in almost every case as the number 1 choice, this work very nearly paced the field. In fact, it was the 2nd highest total vote among all categories. A well earned victory indeed. :)

Your other nominees:

The Wolves of Westseaxna-a tale of Wessex (CKII) by @Asantahene

The Rightful King [Book the First on the House of Wessex] (CKII) by @coz1

The Bold Prince [Book the Second on the House of Wessex] (CKII) by @coz1

Entering the First Court: Kanem Bornu (EUIV) by @stnylan

The Thoughts of a (Hive) Mind (Stellaris) by @lifehole

The Songs of Sheeran - A CKII AGOT Narrative AAR (CKII) by @EmpireofOne

Valyrian Steel: A Game of Thrones Mod AAR (CKII) by @Henry v. Keiper

The Little Dux (CKII) by @TheButterflyComposer

Whiteshirts of England: A History of the Hvitserk Dynasty of Jorvik AAR (CKII) by @tpmcinty

Italian Ambitions: A Florence AAR (EUIV) by @JerseyGiants88

Talking Turkey: Alternate History from 1936 (HoI3) by @Bullfilter

Res Gestae Gentis Lartiae - a Roman Restoration AAR (CKII) by @LudoOttavio

A Fools Luck - Imperial Russian Kaiserreich AAR. (HoI4) by @LTPugh

Blut und Schlacht (Blood and Battle): A Learner’s Saga (CKII) by @Bullfilter

Even Better Hautevilles (Stellaris) by @hjarg

Grim Tomorrows: Selected Documents from the United Nations/Hoffman-Wutani Colonization Partnership (Stellaris) by @benacre

Rome in the StAARs (Stellaris) by @General_BT

Hunter of the Sun (Stellaris) by @Dodge

Ætheling - An Anglo-Saxon CK2+ AAR (CKII) by @Andrzej I

Reavers of the Isle - a CK2 AGOT AAR (CKII) by @Rufy_King

And did those feet (a Kingdom of Jerusalem AAR) (CKII) by @alscon

Road of Queens - CKII India AAR (CKII) by @Eurasia

Hindsight 20/20: a Dutch narrative AAR (HoI4) by @J_Master

The Children of the Sath'ka: A History of the Tor'van (Stellaris) by @jasondroth24

The Forgotten Fifth (CKII) by @alscon

The White Hart (CKII) by @jasondroth24

Use of Weapons (Stellaris) by @Farquharson

As you can see, the race was fairly well dominated by CKII and that is easy to see why - Crusader Kings is such a character driven game that it provides great stories for narrative works. And yet, we did see almost all of the games included here except for Vickie. We should also give a shout out to @Bullfilter for his Talking Turkey: Alternate History from 1936 was nominated in each of the main four AAR style categories. Perhaps he might have won one of these four if people could determine what type of AAR it truly is. ;) Many congratulations to him for he had multiple works nominated and it shows that this work above is beloved.

So let us offer congratulations to all of the nominees and especially to @JabberJock14 for pulling out the win in a hotly contested race even if the margins were not slim by the end. :D I must say for myself personally, I think this work is one of the finest debuts by a first time AAR writAAR that I have ever seen and I think this nod is entirely deserved! Congratulations to you, sir and keep at it for many days, weeks, months and years to come. (And I told you it was better to keep with the same story thread. Worked out, didn't it. ;))

(Next up on the list is Megacampaign of the Year so keep your eyes on the look out. :))

Well @JabberJock14, all I can say is that this is well and truly deserved.

Congratulations!

Good job!

Wow! Thank you everyone who participated and those who voted for this AAR! This field was competitive and deep, just looking at the long list of narratives that received votes! It's an honor to be named this this year, and I hope to maintain this quality going forward. Thanks to everyone who has read and commented!

And if you haven't read, and if you're looking for something to occupy you a while, I just posted chapter 139, so come on down! Start there, or start at the beginning, (or the middle - whatever suits your fancy).

So let us offer congratulations to all of the nominees and especially to @JabberJock14 for pulling out the win in a hotly contested race even if the margins were not slim by the end. :D I must say for myself personally, I think this work is one of the finest debuts by a first time AAR writAAR that I have ever seen and I think this nod is entirely deserved! Congratulations to you, sir and keep at it for many days, weeks, months and years to come. (And I told you it was better to keep with the same story thread. Worked out, didn't it. ;))

Thank you @coz1 ! I just started the second book, in the same thread and we shall see how it does work out! I do know, looking at the voting, that I may not have nicked this had the Rightful King and the Bold Price been considered one work. It is a credit to you and the quality of your story to have two works so highly valued!

And congrats to everyone who received votes. The depth in this category is truly something else.

Warmest congratulations @JabberJock14 - so well deserved. :cool:

Thank you @coz1 for a few things:
  1. Putting this whole annual awards thing together - bravo! So much work, so warmly appreciated by all of us. :)
  2. For saying those kind words: I don't mind Talking Turkey being mentioned in all four but not winning any of the categories - it is indeed written to be all those things. If I'd been asked, I couldn't have worked out which category to list it against myself! :confused: I'm just happy if people read and enjoy. And rather tickled to have an HOI3 AAR get some nods in the narrative space. ;)
  3. And not so much a thank you as an acknowledgement and congratulation: having the third and fourth [edit] most popular AARs in such a competitive field - well, it would have been interesting to see how a single "House of Wessex" entry would have gone. You must be very (and justifiably) proud to have them both figure so prominently. So 'thanks' for your work on those - bravo. :)
Congratulations to the authors of all works mentioned and thanks for anyone who may have voted for my two in this category. The support is always appreciated.

Last edited:
Like with the Character Writer of the Week awAARd, I am sure that you are an excellent winner @JabberJock14! Many congratulations to you and to all others on the list!:)

A truly fine win @JabberJock14 and one to which I respectfully doff my cap. Also thanks for all the votes for my work. I really didn’t expect it to come 2nd in this category especially considering @coz1’s masterful Wessex trilogy (as said I suspect it would have pipped me had it been 1 Work but ho hum :D)

Congratulations @JabberJock14 ! It's a very good week for you, given that you've won this week's Character WritAAR of the Week too.