[MOD] Distant Origin - Lost Homeworld Civic and More!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mitchz95

Field Marshal
17 Badges
Feb 4, 2016
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Major Wiki Contributor
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
“Life out here began out there.”

D2E0EDC90CF53FBB0061DF3955DBD2436C1EA40A

Distant Origin is a mod that adds the classic sci-fi trope of lost colonies to the universe of Stellaris. Players can choose to start as such a lost colony: cut off from the homeworld, isolated for centuries, and looking to explore the universe in search of their ancestral planet. Or you can play as a race of refugees exiled by an invading alien race, desperate to retake their homeworld at all costs. Or you can play as the homeworld itself, searching the universe for your own lost colonies scattered throughout the galaxy. There are a lot of possibilities, and virtually all of them should be compatible with most mods since no significant vanilla files are touched.

596FF1F233063C9F00100FCBF25E157D47992C6E

For more information, including a list of limitations, see the wiki page here.

Steam link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1249001485

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Awesome idea. Thanks for making this! One thought I had: It would be cool if your starting world could be a different type from your preferred type. I think this out-of-date mod made that possible with a species trait. I'd love to start exiled on an inhospitable Desert planet and fight my way back to my Continental (or Gaia) Homeworld :p

I love the concept. I hope you get everything on your to-do list checked out.

Awesome Mod! Would it be possible to add a civic that generates a number of other same race empires with the same homeworld to represent starting as a splintered empire?

Awesome idea. Thanks for making this! One thought I had: It would be cool if your starting world could be a different type from your preferred type. I think this out-of-date mod made that possible with a species trait. I'd love to start exiled on an inhospitable Desert planet and fight my way back to my Continental (or Gaia) Homeworld :p

This is absolutely possible to do, and pretty easy too. I'll see about adding something like this in a future update.

Homeworlds can occasionally spawn as Gaia worlds already, though! :D

Awesome Mod! Would it be possible to add a civic that generates a number of other same race empires with the same homeworld to represent starting as a splintered empire?

You can already do this by creating multiple Distant Origin empires with the same climate preference and force-spawning them, but I'm planning to expand on the idea in the future. A "Great Crusade" of some kind would be awesome.

Last edited:
What about those Ancient Invaders? The prescripted Sacrosanct Imperium is basically Syncretic Evolution without the Serviles trait gone wrong. But what if the Ancient Invaders were also banished by invaders and found a planet with another species and invaded that planet, banishing the other species to another planet.

Huge update!
- Major rework of the Ancient Invaders civic: now called "Contested Homeworld", same basic premise but allows for more flexible situations and RP; also grants general army/morale damage instead of just defense
- Adds many new events and modifiers for Distant Origin/Contested Homeworld empires, which will have permanent effects on ethos attraction and diplomacy

hi, perhaps you can help me with your mod. I made 2 custom civs, one with the distant origins civic, another with the contested homeworld. Im now deep into my game, with all of space explored, and Ive had no events to say anything about the contested homeworld. I am playig as the espheni, and the other aliens are the one with the contested homeworld. is there something else i need to do?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    440,7 KB · Views: 30
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    456,3 KB · Views: 27
hi, perhaps you can help me with your mod. I made 2 custom civs, one with the distant origins civic, another with the contested homeworld. Im now deep into my game, with all of space explored, and Ive had no events to say anything about the contested homeworld. I am playig as the espheni, and the other aliens are the one with the contested homeworld. is there something else i need to do?

"Pelagic Worlds" are not supported yet. Currently, this mod only works if you use one of the following planet classes:

Vanilla:
- Continental
- Tropical
- Oceanic
- Desert
- Arid
- Savannah
- Arctic
- Alpine
- Tundra

Planetary Diversity:
- Mangrove
- Tepui
- Atoll
- Cascadian
- Swamp
- Geothermal
- Glacial
- Crag
- Mesa
- Oasis
- Dune
- Katpana
- Steppe
- Atacama
- Antarctic
- Methane
- Ammonia
- Tomb (not to be confused with the vanilla version!)

What mod are Pelagic Worlds from? I'll see about doing a compatibility patch.

So apparently Pelagic Worlds are just renamed Ocean Worlds, which should still work regardless of the name. So that's not the problem.

Could you search your error log for anything referencing distant_origin? And can you use the debugtooltip console command to check whether Nagyaria has the "distant_origin_ocean_homeworld" flag?

I'm excited to announce that I am working on v2.0 of Distant Origin! The mean feature will be a re-unification chain which will let players reclaim the lost interstellar holdings of their ancestors, like the Great Crusade of Warhammer 40,000. Scattered remnants and lost colonies of your species will be seeded across the galaxy, hopefully making for a more "lived-in" galaxy than what is present in vanilla. Also working on lots of smaller events to further flesh out empire interaction and other cool stuff!

I'm excited to announce that I am working on v2.0 of Distant Origin! The mean feature will be a re-unification chain which will let players reclaim the lost interstellar holdings of their ancestors, like the Great Crusade of Warhammer 40,000. Scattered remnants and lost colonies of your species will be seeded across the galaxy, hopefully making for a more "lived-in" galaxy than what is present in vanilla. Also working on lots of smaller events to further flesh out empire interaction and other cool stuff!
Will this be represented by a civic that makes various other empires spawn of your species spawn? I would also be interested to see a civic like the Distant Origin one, but one which pairs with the Great Crusade civic, thus allowing multiple player-made empires to have the same homeworld.

Also, is there a chance we might see more prescripted empires, like the other Human arks? Or better yet, another species in Stellaris that did what the Humans did in WH40k.

Either way, it's an excellent idea. Can't wait to try it out when it hits the Workshop!

EDIT: One word: PRIMITIVES. We could have some of the primitives be descendants of the empire with the Great Crusade civic.

Will this be represented by a civic that makes various other empires spawn of your species spawn?

Yes. The civic is called "Vestigal Empire" and each of the lost colonies will have the Distant Origin civic.

I would also be interested to see a civic like the Distant Origin one, but one which pairs with the Great Crusade civic, thus allowing multiple player-made empires to have the same homeworld.

This is already possible; just create multiple Distant Origin empires with the same climate preference (or just give them Distant Origin (Earth) regardless of climate) and they'll all recognize the same homeworld.

But yes, Distant Origin will go together with Vestigal Empire much like it does with Contested Homeworld. Note that Vengeful Refugees will not spawn in this case, since they technically weren't expelled from their homeworld so much as forcibly cut off from it.

Also, is there a chance we might see more prescripted empires, like the other Human arks? Or better yet, another species in Stellaris that did what the Humans did in WH40k.

No human arks, but there will be a new prescripted empire (or two).

Either way, it's an excellent idea. Can't wait to try it out when it hits the Workshop!

Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting it to you. :)

EDIT: One word: PRIMITIVES. We could have some of the primitives be descendants of the empire with the Great Crusade civic.

Yup, a lot of the lost colonies will have regressed technologically and now qualify as primitives. Most will be industrial, but a few will be renaissance or even stone age.

Last edited: