EU4 Dev Clash #10 - Rule Britannia - Tuesdays 15:00 CET

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just ran some numbers, and the results are interesting...

So you know the Austria/Byzantine Turkish "collusion"?
It could arguably be the two of them competing to expand...

While Austria+Bohemia+Papal States are superior to Byzantine Turks in terms of income, tech, max manpower, fleet size, and size of standing army (although I'm gonna need more numbers for treasury size and force limits), Hungary makes up for the difference in all but fleet size and tech.

In other words: Hungary has an AMAZING position as the tipping point between Austria and the Byzantine Turks, where each side has to keep placating Hungary in order to keep good relations with them.

So kudos to Sidestep for rocking his awesome but underrated position.

Just ran some numbers, and the results are interesting...

So you know the Austria/Byzantine Turkish "collusion"?
It could arguably be the two of them competing to expand...

While Austria+Bohemia+Papal States are superior to Byzantine Turks in terms of income, tech, max manpower, fleet size, and size of standing army (although I'm gonna need more numbers for treasury size and force limits), Hungary makes up for the difference in all but fleet size and tech.

In other words: Hungary has an AMAZING position as the tipping point between Austria and the Byzantine Turks, where each side has to keep placating Hungary in order to keep good relations with them.

Uhm huh??? What numbers are these???

Do they Include:
Aragon
Mali
Persia

Or are you comparing only Hungry and the Fake Byzantines too Austria/Bohemia and the Papal States likely while including Brandenburg...

Not sure how these numbers can possibly be skewed to show an Austrian Advantage?!?

Uhm huh??? What numbers are these???

Do they Include:
Aragon
Mali
Persia

Or are you comparing only Hungry and the Fake Byzantines too Austria/Bohemia and the Papal States likely while including Brandenburg...

Not sure how these numbers can possibly be skewed to show an Austrian Advantage?!?

Oh, forgot how Mali and Persia might change these numbers, that was a bit of an oversight on my part. My original calculations only included Byz Turks on the Byz side, and Austria+Bohemia+Papal States on the StarNaN side. And of course, Hungary only included Hungary.

Mali overcomes the income disadvantage, but not only do I not see them getting involved in a war against Austria, and whichever side Hungary is on would still be victorious (but then again, Persia and Mali combined probably overcome even if Hungary opposes Byz Turks). Persia and Mali combined make up the disadvantage in troops fielded, but Hungary can still tip the balance. Mali and Persia each individually make up the difference in max manpower, and combined beat HRE alliance + Hungary (but I still fail to see why Mali would get involved). There is no information about the War Fleets of either Mali or Persia, and there is absolutely no info on Aragon (except for a score of 54).

So this does change things a little more than I'd like, but Padishah Emperor Caesar Johan will have to do some skilled diplomacy to convince Mali to join in these distant and useless wars to make the #1 player even more powerful, not to mention all the people in the East who will be happy to fight the Byzantine Turks in case of an Austrian war.

My last comment is a shoutout to Sidestep for his diplomatic game this far. His effort for the Kaiser this session grants him a lot of good will to later cash in on and at the same time he is maintaining his alliance with Starnan practically turning him in to a de-militarized zone between the Kaiser and Starnan. As soon as he starts eating that polish dinner of his Hungary is in a great spot to become the kingmaker and hence also gives him a good spot at a trophy, first place isn't all that matters we need to keep that in mind.

Not to brag or anything, I called it out after the second session :)

I think that the onus to continue making the session lies on the shoulders of others, not on Kaiser Johan. He is playing an amazing game.

That being said, I think that StarNaN's chance is underrated, if he gets HRE reformed the clash against the Byz will be epic if others finally join in. StarNaN is basically Team Johan from last game right now, just setting up for end-game form.

I think Kaiser Johan ought to attack Austria next session and make sure that the HRE can never reform.

I think that the onus to continue making the session lies on the shoulders of others, not on Kaiser Johan. He is playing an amazing game.

That being said, I think that StarNaN's chance is underrated, if he gets HRE reformed the clash against the Byz will be epic if others finally join in. StarNaN is basically Team Johan from last game right now, just setting up for end-game form.

I think Kaiser Johan ought to attack Austria next session and make sure that the HRE can never reform.

If the Holy Roman Alliance is the new Team Johan, does that make the former Western Triumvirate the new Renaissance Ducat Party?

I assume those of you that are suggesting ForzaA run to the new world understand you cannot just switch your capital there. That requires you actually losing most all of your land in Europe to do.....

^^^^
This edit is to ask? How can you respectfully disagree with this? Its a simple in game fact you can't just move your capital, did I somehow offend you? Why would you Respectfully disagree with what I said?

Well, thank you for pointing it out, but..... I do understand the mechanic.

Something I noticed in the coalition war last session and in my own singleplayer games, why does the AI pull back its troops before the morale goes to zero? Here is an example:

upload_2018-3-30_18-10-49.png

This is a moment before the coalition forces retreat, even though they still had a shot to win. France and Spain actually got quite a lot of warscore from battles, that the AI basically forfeited.

Also, is the next session on Tuesday or the week after?

Something I noticed in the coalition war last session and in my own singleplayer games, why does the AI pull back its troops before the morale goes to zero? Here is an example:

View attachment 352799

This is a moment before the coalition forces retreat, even though they still had a shot to win. France and Spain actually got quite a lot of warscore from battles, that the AI basically forfeited.
From what I noticed in the driver's seat, the AI only ever retreated from lost battles.
You can see from the morales involved there that the AI was already on the way to losing. With a river crossing on top of that, pulling back makes perfect sense to minimize losses.

From what I noticed in the driver's seat, the AI only ever retreated from lost battles.
You can see from the morales involved there that the AI was already on the way to losing. With a river crossing on top of that, pulling back makes perfect sense to minimize losses.

But I guess the AI isn’t that fined tuned so it calculates incoming reinforcements and there distance away and the CB in use making even a small chance at winning sometimes preferable since battles acounts for such a large portion?

It is just a question, I’m no programmer so I don’t know how feasible this is to program or how complicated it is :D

But I guess the AI isn’t that fined tuned so it calculates incoming reinforcements and there distance away and the CB in use making even a small chance at winning sometimes preferable since battles acounts for such a large portion?

It is just a question, I’m no programmer so I don’t know how feasible this is to program or how complicated it is :D

Eh, this battle looks like it's going to last a couple weeks more. It can only really count on immediate reinforcements at this point.

I imagine that if the AI calculates the number of available forces not in battle, probable length of battle, immediate reinforcements and current win chances, it'll have a good estimate for whether or not to retreat.

Wait, Wiz in Ulm or April Fools?
There is this line "Groogy close to first Dev Clash win", that should tell you the answer.

Man, these jokes are evil if you read them the first time the day after and you are not expecting these. ;)