• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 27th of March 2018

rb.jpg

Good morning! It's Tuesday and probably 10am somewhere so let's have another EU4 Dev Diary. Today marks one week since the release of Rule Britannia along with the 1.25 England update. The whole team is delighted to see people playing and enjoying the content, in particular the popularity of England (Already one of the most played nations in the game) spiking sixfold.

So while we are very happy with how this release has gone this is no time to rest on our laurels. We have been hard at work digesting your various bug reports and feedback and fixing appropriately. Today I want to talk about our development plans going forward.

Firstly, we have not released any immediate hotfixes for 1.25. We put together a hotfix as soon as possible when we find massive issues, usually with stability (game crashing, consistent widespread out of syncs) which affect many people with high frequency. Thankfully we have not been receiving much report of these but there are still a number of issues which we do want to get fixed in a small patch which we are looking to have ready for you in the not too distant future.

Here is a list of some of the issues we are looking to get fixed up as a matter of urgency:

• Rare naval mission crashes in Random New World Games
  • AI pirating Rule Britannia and having access to Naval Doctrines when the player does not
  • Duplicating modifiers when loading multiple save games
  • Various Missions fixes a-la 20,000 development U-tsang
  • Religious icons offset
  • Luck of the Irish achievement not working for all Irish tags. (This won't be able to retroactively fix your save so if you want to go for the achievement with one of the newly added Irish tags, wait for this fix)
  • Cleves being nuts about converting heretics
  • Fixing that the English mission "Strategic Control" was sometimes impossible to complete.
  • Correct claims for Great Britain in decisions/nation formations/missions
  • Neverending AI wars
This is not an exhaustive list, but it's some of the more serious issues which we are looking to sort out in an upcoming 1.25.1 hotfix. Its deployment date is chalked up to be "soon", pending successful fixing, building and testing which all, much as we try to bend the fabric of reality, takes a bit of time. It's my hope that we can have the fix out to you in time for Easter though, so we can celebrate it, as is tradition, by staying indoors and playing games.

Beyond this though, lies our road forward. We shall start working on our next update for Europa Universalis IV. While we are very happy with how our Immersion pack has done, the next planned release is slated to be an expansion and accompanying update of the magnitude of Rights of Man, Mandate of Heaven or Cradle of Civilization. Dev diaries going forward will be talking about some changes and additions in the next release which will be quite some time away. We'll start with talking about one of the bigger changes in 1.26 next week if all goes to plan, so see you then!

Reactions:
So.. This is going to be a mega-DLC?

Potential candidates:
  • Iberia+Maghreb+Papacy+Maybe Native American adjustments because this would be a colonializing DLC?
  • HRE is interesting when playing one of the Big Three (Austria/Bohemia/BB) but the generic HRE nations.. Eh. Diplomacy overhaul?
  • Italy+Papacy+Trade+Culture (diversify!)
  • HORDES HORDES HORDES
  • India (Lots of work to be done)
  • SE Asia in general (It feels bland at the moment but isn’t popular enough to justify a mega-DLC?)

If it is a big DLC then I am less concerned about the region which gets the most attention and more about which mechanics get touched.

In my opinion what the game currently needs more is a rework of an existing mechanic instead of a completely new one. And there are many things that need work.
- The money flood which results in much more MP than previously and near infinite manpower
- The combat system which relies on near infinite mercenaries as manpower runs out too fast
- The naval system which never worked real well
- The Institution system which resulted in basically no one having a tech penalty as most are too easy to get (partially because too much money)

It is of course possible that th3y will touch on other mechanics like diplomacy and PU/inheritance.

In the end in my opinion, no matter what PDX decides to do, the next DLC will be a critical one as it will show if the new content will continue to rely on one-click buttons or not.

Sure. My favorite regions are the New World and the Hordes. Both are screwed atm.

Most of the issues you mentioned aren’t vital for the game health imo.
How would money be restricted? The last attempt crippled the Hordes and the Natives and didn’t target large nations properly.

My favorite DLC would be one related to either Central Asia/Former Mongol Empire or Iberia/Maghreb/Mali/Colonializing one. (Possibly affecting my Natives.)

I sure am biased here but most other nations I enjoy playing (Japan/HRE/India/Italy) are in quite a good shape. HRE, India and Italy would be potential candidates also.
  • HRE=diplomacy (could be an expansion but HRE is in such a good state already which is why I’d prefer the two mentioned above
  • Italy=papacy/trade/flavor, a strong contender for immersion
  • India=mostly flavor stuff but possibly trade? (Immersion pack)

DDRJake - Could you please fix the issue with the Portuguese and Castillian AI's that seem to struggle to colonise as they did prior to this patch.
If you're playing an English Colonising game, its no fun when you're the only one colonising.

I am really enjoying this immersion pack, thank you for your hard work.

Our pleasure.

Can we please get a hint about the world region of focus for the next update? Even if it's just a small, out of context, unexplained image? please??

Massive Hint.png

You may have to hold a magnifying glass up to the screen to see the hint.

Maybe it would be better for 1.26 to be a free patch update?

All patch updates are free.

Neverending wars pls fix it as soon as possible

Yes!

England? meh, what about glorious Scotland?

I like you.

Ruler/General/Admiral portraits please

Hearts of Iron 4 would court marshal us over that.

that may potentially be mutually exclusive

It's our working philosophy that the mission trees we create are not mutually exclusive. Europa is a very open game, the options available to you are yours to explore, so we will not, for example, say due to your mainland European interests as England, you will now be blocked from colonization missions.

With that said, the script totally supports mutually exclusive missions, so if you like them, you are more than free to make or download your own modded ones.

Kind of a small diary, don't blame you, a small rest is in order after a release.

Can't knock 'em out of the park every time. We'll dive into meaty features shortly.

Has anyone seen the Prussian mission tree? Is it ridiculous or what? Like there is only 4 or 5 missions... ı am greatly disappointed. Although I believe I should get in line with others in dissappointment.

The scope of our mission work in 1.25 was largely around creating the new system, translating the old missions into this new system (a whopping 300+ as I recall) and creating specifically crafted mission trees for the British. Where possible we added some extra missions, but if you have suggestions for what you would like to see and where, I encourage you to post as such in the Suggestions Forum and tag myself there with @DDRJake

DDRJake - Could you please fix the issue with the Portuguese and Castillian AI's that seem to struggle to colonise as they did prior to this patch.
If you're playing an English Colonising game, its no fun when you're the only one colonising.

We are looking into this.

Our pleasure.

View attachment 351982

You may have to hold a magnifying glass up to the screen to see the hint.

All patch updates are free.

Yes!

I like you.

Hearts of Iron 4 would court marshal us over that.

It's our working philosophy that the mission trees we create are not mutually exclusive. Europa is a very open game, the options available to you are yours to explore, so we will not, for example, say due to your mainland European interests as England, you will now be blocked from colonization missions.

With that said, the script totally supports mutually exclusive missions, so if you like them, you are more than free to make or download your own modded ones.

Can't knock 'em out of the park every time. We'll dive into meaty features shortly.

The scope of our mission work in 1.25 was largely around creating the new system, translating the old missions into this new system (a whopping 300+ as I recall) and creating specifically crafted mission trees for the British. Where possible we added some extra missions, but if you have suggestions for what you would like to see and where, I encourage you to post as such in the Suggestions Forum and tag myself there with @DDRJake

We are looking into this.
Is the hint real ?

ROFL

2017: Third Rome
2020: Fourth Rome, new Orthodox mechanics and moar Russia flavor!!!11111

Meanwhile, Africa is like 60% wasteland lmao
Well Africa is supposed to be wasteland, it's colonial region without a lot of organized countries, most of them arisen only in Ethiopia regions, the only other counting countries were Mali Songhai and Kongo, but only for some time. Even now it's too ahistorical, or well, it's the best africa it could be, with lack of some more colonial interactions.

I think india or spanish dlc should also give some strategic materials and trading it, more impact of embargo and blocades (more important navy role in killing progress of economy!), dynamic prices of goods, more option with colonies, HRE some changes to diplomats and spies (more interactions between princes of HRE), religion changes, catholic rework (they deserve it!) and religious leagues, maybe some more tactical options in wars in later dlcs (polish <3?), still a lot of work to do, and making missions even better every patch.

People are saying this means Spain, but as much as I’d like it to be true, I know it’s not.

Because if you rotate the image clockwise, it shows very clearly that we are, in fact, getting an Image pointing to Australia. Obviously this can be interpreted as an HRE DLC.