• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I don’t agree the UNSO could ever be shut down now. Replaced maybe but once you’ve made the leap to a space civilization you can’t go back to sitting on Earth not exploring/expanding anymore. Especially after you discover hostile aliens next door...unless your civilization has a suicide wish

Shutting down the interstellar space program would be humanity's greatest mistake. If a civilization ever stops exploring and expanding their body of knowledge, it is the surest path to decline, stagnation, falling behind others, and conquest by others. Nevertheless, human civilizations in history have decided to do just that and suffered for it. The United Nations is determined to avoid the mistakes of the past and I doubt they would defund the UNSO now but the cry to spend money on solving poverty on Earth or buying more tanks for domestic defense instead of chasing the stars is an ever powerful and popular cry among politicians in UN member states and the general public. I think Patrick Steward once he would see poverty fixed on Earth before seeing the stars. Is the UNSO is real risk of being defunded and scrapped? Probably not but the temptation will be here.

The majority of the UN's attention is implied to be still Earth focused. Its new main focus, since world peace and democracy was achieved, is getting the billions of "basics" off government assistance or at least employed and turned into productive citizens. According to a Chapter 9 screenshot, the living standard of humanity in Stellaris is "social welfare" which means massive welfare programs to promote high standards of living although Cookfl has interpreted it to include differing actual standards of living among humans. My question is do you think Star Trek Federation standards of living as represented in Stellaris by "utopian abundance" or better yet "academic privilege" where all or the vast majority of the population has everything it needs, most of its wishes fulfilled, and are well-educated productive citizens can be achieved inuniverse by the UN in the future or will no poverty among mankind will still be a mere pipe dream (note: Ingame, it is a matter of clicking on a button, I am taking about in Cookfl's story)?

I don’t agree the UNSO could ever be shut down now. Replaced maybe but once you’ve made the leap to a space civilization you can’t go back to sitting on Earth not exploring/expanding anymore. Especially after you discover hostile aliens next door...unless your civilization has a suicide wish

We don't know they're hostile. We know their state holds values inimical to those of the UN, and the overwhelming majority of humanity, but we don't know they're out for blood. It's entirely possible to be peaceful neighbours with people of a radically different mindset. Mistrustful neighbours perhaps. And it would be foolish to not prepare for any eventuality. But to assume them as our enemy makes them so, and to expect conflict as an inevitability creates a self fulfilling prophecy.

We don't know they're hostile. We know their state holds values inimical to those of the UN, and the overwhelming majority of humanity, but we don't know they're out for blood. It's entirely possible to be peaceful neighbours with people of a radically different mindset. Mistrustful neighbours perhaps. And it would be foolish to not prepare for any eventuality. But to assume them as our enemy makes them so, and to expect conflict as an inevitability creates a self fulfilling prophecy.
Honestly I got the feeling it will be the UN attacking first when people find out that criminal elements are selling human slaves to our new neighbors. Cause I don't think the public would take that well, at all.

. According to a Chapter 9 screenshot, the living standard of humanity in Stellaris is "social welfare" which means massive welfare programs to promote high standards of living although Cookfl has interpreted it to include differing actual standards of living among humans.

I think this is his/her way of representing the massive costs of the universal basic income in game. Social welfare means no one starves or dies of lack of basics but they might not have an amazing lifestyle

I don’t think any utopian economics are compatible with capitalism which the Earth still has

Shutting down the interstellar space program would be humanity's greatest mistake. If a civilization ever stops exploring and expanding their body of knowledge, it is the surest path to decline, stagnation, falling behind others, and conquest by others. Nevertheless, human civilizations in history have decided to do just that and suffered for it. The United Nations is determined to avoid the mistakes of the past and I doubt they would defund the UNSO now but the cry to spend money on solving poverty on Earth or buying more tanks for domestic defense instead of chasing the stars is an ever powerful and popular cry among politicians in UN member states and the general public. I think Patrick Steward once he would see poverty fixed on Earth before seeing the stars. Is the UNSO is real risk of being defunded and scrapped? Probably not but the temptation will be here.

The majority of the UN's attention is implied to be still Earth focused. Its new main focus, since world peace and democracy was achieved, is getting the billions of "basics" off government assistance or at least employed and turned into productive citizens. According to a Chapter 9 screenshot, the living standard of humanity in Stellaris is "social welfare" which means massive welfare programs to promote high standards of living although Cookfl has interpreted it to include differing actual standards of living among humans. My question is do you think Star Trek Federation standards of living as represented in Stellaris by "utopian abundance" or better yet "academic privilege" where all or the vast majority of the population has everything it needs, most of its wishes fulfilled, and are well-educated productive citizens can be achieved inuniverse by the UN in the future or will no poverty among mankind will still be a mere pipe dream (note: Ingame, it is a matter of clicking on a button, I am taking about in Cookfl's story)?
I doubt defunding UNSO would even be possible right now. It is probably the biggest government agency ever.
If I recall correctly, it includes the wormhole project (the most costly endeavour in human history so far), most of human research and probably the lions share of governmental scientific funding, regulates the interplanetary economy (the tax revenue of all these mining operations alone should be staggering), has control over humanities only military vessels in space and is the state authority for every human being not living on Earth itself. So UNSO would actually include:
- Sponsorship or at least continous contracts for most high tech industries and research companies, also for most space industries (shipyards etc.). That's one hell of a lobby to advocate for more investment, not less or even a defunding.
- Control over the extraterrestrial economy, especially the ressources. Mining the solarsystem and even other systems is in full swing now. IIRC there is even an economic boom on Earth, solely because of that influx of ressources and money. Now UNSO does not control that directly, but it regulates, polices, protects and taxes everything in space. It is a foreign, economic, trade and interior ministry rolled into one concerning everything extraterrestrial. All of that should yield a net gain for Earth, but of course they're also expanding, so they still rely on Earth funding.
- The military isn't probably that big compared to national militaries, but numbers don't really count into that equation. It is the only military capable of fielding space-going vessels, which immediately all other human militaries. Terrestrial armies can't protect against strikes from orbit, neither can they project force beyond Earth, UNSO can do both. Now an actual war between humans would be extremely unlikely, but that doesn't change the reality of the situation. Less extreme measures like blockading are also only avaible to UNSO. And even ignoring all that, another mighty lobby consisting of weapon industries, militarists and veterans would be firmly in UNSOs corner.
- Finally the colonies. UNSO basically replaces a state for everyone not living on Earth. Not only does that result in millions of people who are per default for expansion (since it's their home), but it also lends UNSO more legitimacy. It's not only a governmental agency, it also represents UN citizens. Currently all states on Earth probably dwarf all extraterrestrial populations combined, but that's going to change.
As for Earth First, I think that movement has peaked. Space travel is getting more normal by the day and living standards are increasing. I think they would mostly split up in a more moderate wing, focused on economics and more investment at home (and taking with them the mainstream appeal of the movement) and a radical wing, increasingly irrelevant.

I doubt defunding UNSO would even be possible right now. It is probably the biggest government agency ever.
If I recall correctly, it includes the wormhole project (the most costly endeavour in human history so far), most of human research and probably the lions share of governmental scientific funding, regulates the interplanetary economy (the tax revenue of all these mining operations alone should be staggering), has control over humanities only military vessels in space and is the state authority for every human being not living on Earth itself. So UNSO would actually include:
- Sponsorship or at least continous contracts for most high tech industries and research companies, also for most space industries (shipyards etc.). That's one hell of a lobby to advocate for more investment, not less or even a defunding.
- Control over the extraterrestrial economy, especially the ressources. Mining the solarsystem and even other systems is in full swing now. IIRC there is even an economic boom on Earth, solely because of that influx of ressources and money. Now UNSO does not control that directly, but it regulates, polices, protects and taxes everything in space. It is a foreign, economic, trade and interior ministry rolled into one concerning everything extraterrestrial. All of that should yield a net gain for Earth, but of course they're also expanding, so they still rely on Earth funding.
- The military isn't probably that big compared to national militaries, but numbers don't really count into that equation. It is the only military capable of fielding space-going vessels, which immediately all other human militaries. Terrestrial armies can't protect against strikes from orbit, neither can they project force beyond Earth, UNSO can do both. Now an actual war between humans would be extremely unlikely, but that doesn't change the reality of the situation. Less extreme measures like blockading are also only avaible to UNSO. And even ignoring all that, another mighty lobby consisting of weapon industries, militarists and veterans would be firmly in UNSOs corner.
- Finally the colonies. UNSO basically replaces a state for everyone not living on Earth. Not only does that result in millions of people who are per default for expansion (since it's their home), but it also lends UNSO more legitimacy. It's not only a governmental agency, it also represents UN citizens. Currently all states on Earth probably dwarf all extraterrestrial populations combined, but that's going to change.
As for Earth First, I think that movement has peaked. Space travel is getting more normal by the day and living standards are increasing. I think they would mostly split up in a more moderate wing, focused on economics and more investment at home (and taking with them the mainstream appeal of the movement) and a radical wing, increasingly irrelevant.

The UNSO is probably one of the biggest parts of the UN Secretariat in the 23rd Century and certainly much bigger than its predecessor the 1962 UN Office for Outer Space Affairs. I would guess the biggest agency or agency group would be the UN Development Group which is about the UN's development of the lives of the citizens of its member states which is the UN's new goal for itself. But the UNSO is likely not far behind and the day that the space program can fund itself and maybe the whole UN itself by taxing space trade and mining is likely coming soon. I agree that space mega corps and industrialists have good reasons to support the funding of UNSO even if the UNSO keeps the mega corps on a tight lease because they would gain access to new stars and untapped resources. I am not sure that the colonies would be happy about being ruled from UNHQ by an army of faceless bureaucrats without representation and the colonists are citizens of their home member state or of their parent's and not the UN itself. We already discussed that there is no need for Earth or UN citizenship until aliens want to move in. Still, the colonists seem to prefer UN rule to corporate rule so I guess they would support the UNSO although they may demand their colonies be converted to member states in the future as the UN did for the lunar colonies.

I agree the Earth Firsters in their current militant form will only fade from here on out. The UN's space agency has not been slowed down at all. The militants have only managed to make the space program more expensive due to extra security. The massive wealth from outer space, the UN's monopoly on space travel and militarization, and the alien threat will ensure the UN Liberal Globalized International Order remains supported however unhappily. The concerns of the moderate Earth Firsters is already being taken up by the Third World bloc in the General Assembly fairly strongly. Still, I think we will see the militants again eventually. Maybe as the resident xenophobe faction.

I agree the Earth Firsters in their current militant form will only fade from here on out. The UN's space agency has not been slowed down at all. The militants have only managed to make the space program more expensive due to extra security. The massive wealth from outer space, the UN's monopoly on space travel and militarization, and the alien threat will ensure the UN Liberal Globalized International Order remains supported however unhappily. The concerns of the moderate Earth Firsters is already being taken up by the Third World bloc in the General Assembly fairly strongly. Still, I think we will see the militants again eventually. Maybe as the resident xenophobe faction.
What about as the radical cult group? Has Cookfi gotten one of those story events yet?

So with the new changes that the Apocalypse DLC brings, (Don't mean to start an argument about it's current state btw) are you going to continue playing this AAR in whatever build you are in?

So with the new changes that the Apocalypse DLC brings, (Don't mean to start an argument about it's current state btw) are you going to continue playing this AAR in whatever build you are in?
I think he previously said he will remain on the original patch.

Yeah, that idea crossed my mind too.
A change from Earth First towards Humanity First is probably the only way to retain some relevance.
But I think it would be interesting to see how they progress from there. Once they are primarily xenophobic and less luddite, they could even advocate for more ships and thus for more UN and UNSO power/funding.
On the other hand, a more "splendid isolation" stance could also work for them. Avoid entanglements in interstellar affairs and thus avoid the need for a stronger military.
Regardless, as long as there are no more xenophobic empires or the UN annexes the Uqos, the issue is more a theoretic problem.
Real problems would only arise when alien neighbours start to move in on human colonies.
Until then, they will probably diminish as a political faction...

Well I was really lucky that the first Stellaris AAR I read is this one, it's really amazing and it also has great discussion in the comments.

Definitely subbing.

Amazing how most of this AAR inspires such discussion. The mark of a truly great aar

This AAR is fantastic. Keep up the great work!

This really *is* top-notch writing — it’s at least in the ballpark of most published sci-if, and better than a decent share of it. OP's greatest strength is his well-thought-out world, but the prose moves breezily along and the exposition is handled beautifully as well.

So OP, if you have any desire to be published, please know that's an achievable goal. You're already writing at a very high standard. And if you don't want to take my while for it, find a creative writing class or join a writers' circle-- I think you'll hear similar feedback.

Looking forward to seeing what happens to the politics of the UN when the space-poop hits the space-fan; are they going to be able to maintain their fairly democratic system, or will the representatives become figureheads while the UN's civil service wage war?

Looking forward to seeing what happens to the politics of the UN when the space-poop hits the space-fan; are they going to be able to maintain their fairly democratic system, or will the representatives become figureheads while the UN's civil service wage war?

It is a concern. For whatever reason, the super UN and its member states in science fiction is often subsumed by its own subsidiary bodies as in Halo or Command and Conquer when the UN and its member state is overtaken by the Space Command and GDI respectively. At the very least, the member states end up losing their national sovereignty to the UN or become irrelevant in response to some outside threat.
In the First Century, it is clear that the United Nations of the 23rd century is the same recognizable UN from 1945 and 2018 with the member nation-states still the key players of the international political game. It is just that the international game is played solely within the halls of the UN and the Secretary-General is now worth listening to because the UN funds the UBI and development programs of its member states and finally has the military forces that Chapter VII calls for. It is not an official world government nor did it seek to be one. It just happened to grow into one and the strain on its ossified institutions is showing.

I doubt that the UN here in this story would let it lose control over its institutions. It has been jealously guarding its authority and influence ever since it enforced its authority on the solar system in the early 22th century. The UN has practiced a tight grip over the scientific community, development of international assets and the mega corps. Of course, strict oversight and control isn't the most efficient thing especially with the massive cautious UN bureaucracy and law system. Look how slow the response to the pirates was! You don't want that in a war. Let us hope the new reforms are effective in improving the fleet's fighting abilities while keeping civilian force.

Amazing how most of this AAR inspires such discussion. The mark of a truly great aar
Indeed. I would like to add some discussion points to talk about.

How much influence do you do think that the future United Nations over the everyday lives of the average human citizen across human space? Do you think that the average citizen lives in terror of some UN bureaucrat deciding to reduce or cut off their Universal Basic Income and seizing their little private property in the name of more efficient usage like they do in the Expanse? Or do you think that for the average citizen, unless they live in outer space or their country is a basket case, the future United Nations actually has no greater role in their lives than it does in 2018?

Do you think that the future United Nations is really a democratic benevolent international order that is fixing humanity's problems and is responsible to the people it represents? Or do you think that it is a subtle oligarchy of retired national politicians and famous people who are undemocratically managing and planning out humanity's future without really caring what the population thinks as something of a slightly more benevolent version of the Bright Young Things from the Crown Atomic? That the UN is somewhere torturing rebels and Earth Firsters in secret black sites and summarily executing pirates in the belts? The third view that the United Nations is an inefficient constantly squabbling institution that is creaking the strain of operating an interstellar empire that could not possibly operate a sinister conspiracy for long and it is slowly losing control over human space. The mega corps mining in other star systems are beginning slip from the UN's regulatory thumb and pirate slavers are a growing problem. It may be unfair to call this situation Ancapistan like one reader did but the extrasolar belts are growing unpleasant. Of course, that could be unfairly imported notions from other series and the UN is exactly what it presents itself to be this universe. After all, Cookfl did say that this story is meant to be a realistic but hopeful one if the game allows it. Of course, the viewpoint characters so far have been either UN employees, government officials and unambiguous criminal scum so they are not completely reliable on the UN's true nature. I would think it would be interesting to have the viewpoint of an Earth Firster, a CEO of a Mega Corp, or an average belter.

A few months back, I asked fellow readers if you would want to live in Cookfl's vision of the future. I think most of you said yes but with trepidation or a hesitant yes. Do you do the First Century Universe should fall under Tvtrope's entry of Crapsack world. It is not a clear Star Trek Utopia or a Warhammer 40K dystopia. People live better in the future than today but there are plenty of new miseries and unsolved old one. In the Expanse, humans have access to advanced new techs and comforts, but the atmosphere is so tense, hateful, and oppressive that it falls under crapsack world. In Mass Effect, there seems to be an even level of new comforts and miseries so life does not much more or less happy than today. Maybe, it is a crapsack world that is getting a lot better with time and hope like Star Trek: First Contact Earth. What do you think?

Personally, I don't think so. I think a crapsack world has to be a place of unremitting darkness, where there can be no hope for a better future and any successes are a vainglorious effort to delay the inevitable.

Cookfl's future is none of these things. Earth is bleak, that is certain, and humanity's first forays into interstellar politics appear fraught. Crime is an endemic issue, (although I'm not sure how indicative that is of a dystopia, I'm more inclined to think it's a result of scaling up, and new opportunities for unethical activities) and while I don't think we've seen that much evidence of sexism or racism (although, we have only dealt with elites really, so who knows), there is classism all over the place, as we can see with the treatment of traditionally third world countries.

But, the values of the UN are noble ones, to expand humanity's knowledge and prospects. Resources are being shipped to Earth, which will hopefully help solve some of the problems of wealth distribution. There are prospects on the colonies. The UN appears to be doing a decent job of administering an interstellar jurisdiction, and the political system appears to be malleable enough that fresh blood can achieve reform. (Maybe speaking prematurely there, but I'm confident in the new guy).

All in all Cookfl presents neither a dystopia nor a utopia, which is a relief. And that's because neither would be as compelling as the believable, fascinating version of the future that they offer. One that feels as if it could be a realistic projection of humanity's trajectory from today, featuring characters that are neither demons or angels, but thoroughly human. Which is why I can't wait to read more.