• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HoI 4 Dev Diary - Formable Nations and Achievements

Hello, and welcome back to another dev diary! We are on the home stretch, with only two more issues to go before release! The team is working very hard to squash the last bugs and tweak the almost-possibly-partially-final values.

Today, we will talk about Achievements and Formable Nations.

Formable Nations have already been teased by some ill-advised clicking on stream. We won’t tell you just how you can get the infamous form_hre decision, but rest assured: it is quite a journey. And no, the trigger that was accidentally shown on stream is no longer quite so accurate...

The historical purists can also rest assured that they won’t see the decision pop up if they follow the historical path, and the AI is set to never go down this path.

Capture1.JPG

The goal of the Formable Nations system is to give players a goal to work towards and enhance the sandbox gameplay. The formable nations have proven quite popular in other titles such as EUIV and the economics-simulator-that-shall-not-be-named. The implementation was fairly simple on the mechanics side: if you are one of the countries that can form a nation and control the required territories, you can activate a decision to form that nation. This gives you a cosmetic tag and cores on the relevant territories.

hoi4_3.jpg

We have a few fairly plausible formable nations like the Baltic Federation, Scandinavia, or the United Netherlands, which are pretty easy to do. We also have a number of somewhat less historically accurate formable nations like, say a reborn Roman Empire (which Mussolini may or may not have been aiming for), and finally the really far out ones like the Byzantine Empire.

hoi4_6.jpg

We envision these latter ones to be a late-game thing, after you have already achieved dominance over your region, when you want a little extra flavor for that world conquest. We’ve also attempted to ensure that all world regions have at least some possible formables.

hoi4_5.jpg

Again, the AI is set to never take these decisions in historical mode, and the territory requirements are such that only the more plausible and easy ones would likely ever be taken by the AI.

Currently, you need to control the territory directly, but future iterations might also allow you to form nations diplomatically.

Your reward is a new name and country color and a new flag. We had a lot of fun coming up with alternative history flags for a lot of these countries. For some, there are some additional goodies like custom namelists.

hoi4_131.jpg

(This particular one is also available if you form Austria-Hungary through the Hungarian focus tree)

We’re not going to spoil the full list of countries that you can form - you can find them out yourself in just a few weeks.

And if forming a new nation isn’t enough of a challenge for you, Waking the Tiger also comes with 18 new achievements:

awake_and_angry.jpg

Awake and Angry: Reconquer all of China and Manchuria and force a Japanese surrender.

romance_of_the_three_kingdoms.jpg

Romance of the Three Kingdoms - as China, puppet and then annex Yunnan and Guangxi Clique.

sun_tzu_reborn.jpg

Sun Tzu Reborn: As Any Chinese Nation, have fully upgraded/promoted field marshal to Level 10.

the_people_have_stood_up.jpg

The people have stood up!: With Mao as your leader, win the Chinese Civil War.

made_in_china.jpg

Made in China: As Communist China, have over 100 military factories

tojo_shot_first.jpg

Tojo shot first: As Japan, nuke a core territory of the US before the US develops nuclear weapons.

sunrise_invasion.jpg

Sunrise Invasion: As Japan, conquer Mexico then Europe before 1945.

the_dragon_swallowed_the_sun.jpg

The Dragon Swallowed the Sun: As Manchukuo, break free from Japan and annex your former Overlord without being in a faction.

hail_to_the_qing.jpg

Hail to the Qing: As Manchukuo, restore the Qing dynasty.

the_good_the_bad_and_the_weird.jpg

The good, the bad and the weird: As Manchukuo, have max level infrastructure in every owned state and generate at least 15 units of oil.

battlecry.jpg

Battlecry: As a warlord, conquer all of China and Japan.

panda_monium.jpg

Panda-monium: As a warlord, be at war with all chinese nations simultaneously.

make_a_man_out_of_you.jpg

Make a man out of you - Have at least 1.000.000 manpower queued up for deployment.

my_ships_dont_lie.jpg

My ships don't lie: Form Gran Colombia and have 20 capital ships

i_swear_im_not_a_byzantophile.jpg

I swear I’m not a Byzantophile: As Greece, Form Byzantine Empire.

australia_hungary.jpg

Australia-Hungary: Annex all of Hungary as Australia

our_other_place_in_the_sun.jpg

Our Other Place in the Sun: As Imperial Germany, conquer a Caribbean island.

monarchy_is_back_in_fashion.jpg

Monarchy is back in fashion: As Germany, bring back the Kaiser and ensure that Italy is controlled by Victor Emmanuel by killing Mussolini.

That is all for today. Next week, we will take a closer look at the nuts and bolts of the game and talk a little about what our AI programmer(s) have been doing in these past weeks. On stream, Daniel and Gabriel continue their run of “historical” Germany, so tune in at 16:00 CET at https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Rejected Titles:

Providing a sense of Pride and Accomplishment

Stealing Victoria II game mechanics for fun and profit, mostly profit

Dan Lind’s Disney Song Singalong

Google Search History: Byzantium Tank Division Names

We use only the finest memes for our achievements

Proud to announce the Shakira/Sabaton collaboration project

index.php

The good, the bad and the weird: As Manchukuo, have max level infrastructure in every owned state and generate at least 15 units of oil.

A The Good, The Bad, The Weird reference? In my HoI4?

It's more likely than you think.

The popularity of the "Victoria 3 confirmed" meme makes me think that when PDS finally announces Vicky3, the whole post will actually be just these three words.

Will people without the DLC be able to use mods utilizing this feature ? And does forming nations via a decision allow for a focus tree change (like the one featured for chinese warlords) ?

Hello, and welcome back to another dev diary! We are on the home stretch, with only two more issues to go before release! The team is working very hard to squash the last bugs and tweak the almost-possibly-partially-final values.

Today, we will talk about Achievements and Formable Nations.

Formable Nations have already been teased by some ill-advised clicking on stream. We won’t tell you just how you can get the infamous form_hre decision, but rest assured: it is quite a journey. And no, the trigger that was accidentally shown on stream is no longer quite so accurate...

The historical purists can also rest assured that they won’t see the decision pop up if they follow the historical path, and the AI is set to never go down this path.

View attachment 335159

The goal of the Formable Nations system is to give players a goal to work towards and enhance the sandbox gameplay. The formable nations have proven quite popular in other titles such as EUIV and the economics-simulator-that-shall-not-be-named. The implementation was fairly simple on the mechanics side: if you are one of the countries that can form a nation and control the required territories, you can activate a decision to form that nation. This gives you a cosmetic tag and cores on the relevant territories.

View attachment 335160

We have a few fairly plausible formable nations like the Baltic Federation, Scandinavia, or the United Netherlands, which are pretty easy to do. We also have a number of somewhat less historically accurate formable nations like, say a reborn Roman Empire (which Mussolini may or may not have been aiming for), and finally the really far out ones like the Byzantine Empire.

View attachment 335161

We envision these latter ones to be a late-game thing, after you have already achieved dominance over your region, when you want a little extra flavor for that world conquest. We’ve also attempted to ensure that all world regions have at least some possible formables.

View attachment 335162

Again, the AI is set to never take these decisions in historical mode, and the territory requirements are such that only the more plausible and easy ones would likely ever be taken by the AI.

Currently, you need to control the territory directly, but future iterations might also allow you to form nations diplomatically.

Your reward is a new name and country color and a new flag. We had a lot of fun coming up with alternative history flags for a lot of these countries. For some, there are some additional goodies like custom namelists.

View attachment 335163

(This particular one is also available if you form Austria-Hungary through the Hungarian focus tree)

We’re not going to spoil the full list of countries that you can form - you can find them out yourself in just a few weeks.

And if forming a new nation isn’t enough of a challenge for you, Waking the Tiger also comes with 18 new achievements:

View attachment 335164
Awake and Angry: Reconquer all of China and Manchuria and force a Japanese surrender.

View attachment 335165
Romance of the Three Kingdoms - as China, puppet and then annex Yunnan and Guangxi Clique.

View attachment 335173
Sun Tzu Reborn: As Any Chinese Nation, have fully upgraded/promoted field marshal to Level 10.

View attachment 335171
The people have stood up!: With Mao as your leader, win the Chinese Civil War.

View attachment 335169
Made in China: As Communist China, have over 100 military factories

View attachment 335170
Tojo shot first: As Japan, nuke a core territory of the US before the US develops nuclear weapons.

View attachment 335178
Sunrise Invasion: As Japan, conquer Mexico then Europe before 1945.

View attachment 335172
The Dragon Swallowed the Sun: As Manchukuo, break free from Japan and annex your former Overlord without being in a faction.

View attachment 335181
Hail to the Qing: As Manchukuo, restore the Qing dynasty.

View attachment 335175

View attachment 335167
Battlecry: As a warlord, conquer all of China and Japan.

View attachment 335179
Panda-monium: As a warlord, be at war with all chinese nations simultaneously.

View attachment 335177
Make a man out of you - Have at least 1.000.000 manpower queued up for deployment.

View attachment 335176
My ships don't lie: Form Gran Colombia and have 20 capital ships

View attachment 335168
I swear I’m not a Byzantophile: As Greece, Form Byzantine Empire.

View attachment 335166
Australia-Hungary: Annex all of Hungary as Australia

View attachment 335180
Our Other Place in the Sun: As Imperial Germany, conquer a Caribbean island.

View attachment 335174
Monarchy is back in fashion: As Germany, bring back the Kaiser and ensure that Italy is controlled by Victor Emmanuel by killing Mussolini.

That is all for today. Next week, we will take a closer look at the nuts and bolts of the game and talk a little about what our AI programmer(s) have been doing in these past weeks. On stream, Daniel and Gabriel continue their run of “historical” Germany, so tune in at 16:00 CET at https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Rejected Titles:

Providing a sense of Pride and Accomplishment

Stealing Victoria II game mechanics for fun and profit, mostly profit

Dan Lind’s Disney Song Singalong

Google Search History: Byzantium Tank Division Names

We use only the finest memes for our achievements

Proud to announce the Shakira/Sabaton collaboration project
Form European Union??

Gotta get those EU4 Players!!! Hey look guys ByzantiuM!!!! Lolll amirite?

Well ... that's a little rude. So all players who prefer non-historical have to live with that forced feature and can't disable it? Okay, probably there will be a mod for it sooner or later, but it feels like "eat or die" for me at the moment.

It shouldn't be an impossible option to leave players with a choice if they want that AI nations could do that nation forming thing in non historical matches.

Well ... that's a little rude. So all players who prefer non-historical have to live with that forced feature and can't disable it? Okay, probably there will be a mod for it sooner or later, but it feels like "eat or die" for me at the moment.

It shouldn't be an impossible option to leave players with a choice if they want that AI nations could do that nation forming thing in non historical matches.
He hinted that they have thought of implementing a new settings option where you can check and uncheck various things like this. Similar to what they have in CK II.

I think people are dramatically overestimating the AI's ability to take the necessary territories. We have literally never seen it happen in our internal hands-off runs. Not once. Pretty much the only way this happens is if you feed the right nations the right territories in a peacedeal, at which point the game is practically over anyway.

I am thinking of doing a summary diary of all the stuff + things we havent had tiem to cover before release so probably.

yes

- the small ones on button are 32x32
- the category one is 52x40
- the flavor pic is 114x101

I'm going on holiday this weekend, but what I'm counting down the days for is this DLC: I can't wait!

A full breakdown of all the features in the DLC/patch would be much appreciated.