• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello and welcome to another Stellaris development diary! Today we will take a look at some of the minor features and changes in the coming 2.0 'Cherryh' update.

Quality of Life
We have added small icons to the outliner that lets you see if planets have buildings that can be upgraded, or if there are Pops that do not have a building they are working. Similarly, you will be able to see when a starbase has an empty module or building slot.

This should make it a lot easier for you to manage your planets and starbases.

upload_2018-2-8_11-27-38.png

In the fleet view it is now also possible to see which designs can be upgraded.

upload_2018-2-8_12-37-21.png

Hallowed Planets
Spiritualist empires will be able to designate an uncolonized Gaia World within their borders as a 'Holy World'. The Holy World will increase your empire's unity production as long as it remains uncolonized and within your borders.

In addition to being able to make uncolonized Gaia Worlds useful, Hallowed Planets will also make spiritualist factions happy.

upload_2018-2-8_13-1-53.png

War Doctrines
In addition to other changes to traditions, finishing the Supremacy traditions now allows you to set a War Doctrine for your empire. War Doctrines give you additional customization and specialization regarding how you utilize your fleets.

upload_2018-2-8_13-7-49.png

There are four different war doctrines with different strengths and weaknesses:
Defense in Depth: Defensive empires will have a bonus to their ship fire rate within their own borders
Hit and Run: This doctrine will increase the likelyhood of your ships making an emergency FTL in combat, and also reduce damage caused by emergency FTL
Rapid Deployment: Empires that choose to rely on quickly being able to respond to threats may choose this doctrine which increases sublight speed and ship weapon range
No retreat: Militarists and Gestalt Consciousness empires can choose to employ a doctrine of no retreat, increasing ship fire rate but removing the ability for individual ships to emergency FTL out of combat instead of being destroyed.

upload_2018-2-8_13-10-58.png

Psionic Awakening (Utopia)
Should you be playing a Psionic empire, introduced with Utopia, it will now be possible to help lesser species awaken their psionic potential. This works similar to Assimilation, where you can give another species the benefits of your chosen ascension path.

upload_2018-2-8_13-46-13.png

That's all for this week! Next week you will be able to read the full patch notes for the 2.0 'Cherryh' update!

lowered fleet effectiveness
lowered fleet cap
slower fleet building
slower research speed
slower energy generation
more vulnerable systems
those would be the most noticeable
Let's say I go with expansion instead:
- more starbases from claimed systems (partially negates 2)
- more resources from orbital deposits (negates 3 and 4)
- more planets -> even more resources -> I can go more over the fleet cap (negates 1)
- more unity generation
Those are the most noticeable.

Well, this clenches it. The first 2.0 game I play will Be a Xenophilic Spiritualist empire. I will declare all Gaia worlds holy, and bring the glory of THE SHROUD to all sentient life in the galaxy.

WE ARE MANY
BUT WE SHALL BE

ONE

Last edited:
you can colonize a gaia world and designate another gaia world as holy but you can't do both to the same one

That's not what I'm asking. I know that.

What I'm asking is this: does the spiritualist faction still have a happiness boost from owning a gaia world in addition to having a boost from designating a planet as a Holy World? Or did the faction get changed, and now they are only happy if you designate a Gaia world as a Holy World, and they no longer get a happiness boost from owning one?

Let's say I go with expansion instead:
- more starbases from claimed systems (partially negates 2)
- more resources from orbital deposits (negates 3 and 4)
- more planets -> even more resources -> I can go more over the fleet cap (negates 1)
- more unity generation
Those are the most noticeable.

you will not get enough systems for the reduced cost to give you +2 to match supremacy
this one is very RNG dependent and countered by using your better fleet to grab tributaries
maintenance cost is going up you are not going to be able match the fleet of a supremacy player by going over cap just through expansion and your fleet will be less effective
more unity generation but higher unity costs

not to mention even if you match resource wise just through the expansion bonuses you slow yourself in research making your empire even weaker in comparison

but expansion is the reason I said unlock supremacy first then complete it 1st-2nd. there is simply no other tree that is as universally beneficial and this is only counting the unlock and completion bonuses we don't know the exact changes to the individual traditions

you will not get enough systems for the reduced cost to give you +2 to match supremacy
How do you know? Have you played 2.0 already?
this one is very RNG dependent and countered by using your better fleet to grab tributaries
I can use my massive fleet to grab tributaries as well.
maintenance cost is going up you are not going to be able match the fleet of a supremacy player by going over cap just through expansion and your fleet will be less effective
How do you know? Have you played 2.0 already?
more unity generation but higher unity costs
I have 5 planets and 20 solarsystems with expansion filled out and you have 5 planets and 20 solarsystems without expansion filled out. Question to the Oracle - who has higher unity costs?
not to mention even if you match resource wise just through the expansion bonuses you slow yourself in research making your empire even weaker in comparison
Why do you think so? I can use saved influence to run edicts instead of claiming new systems and will not suffer any penalties.

Supremacy atm already gives +15 fire rate with no downside. Arguing that supremacy is a *must* have because it makes your fleets stronger implies it's already a must have.

but that's not how this one works... its a must as your first or one of your first. an empire is not crippled by putting off expansion discovery or prosperity. your empire will be crippled if you put off prosperity.

supremacy gives you direct bonuses to fleet combat power and system fortification as well as indirect bonuses to research and economy.
How on Earth is War Policy setting and +2 starbase more important than faster reseach and easier anomalies, faster pop growth and happines, <insert any other tradition tree>???

How on Earth is War Policy setting and +2 starbase more important than faster reseach and easier anomalies, faster pop growth and happines, <insert any other tradition tree>???

because those star bases give you faster research more energy and higher fleet cap, and that's just for starting the tree.

Supremacy atm already gives +15 fire rate with no downside. Arguing that supremacy is a *must* have because it makes your fleets stronger implies it's already a must have.

well for one that +15% now goes as high as 33% and gives much more flexibility to the fleets but the real kicker is the +2 starbase and 20% cheaper stare base upgrades.

No, supremacy no longer gives bonus fire rate. Check the screenshot again. All it grants (apart from the traditions themselves) is +2 starbase and war policy setting...

No, supremacy no longer gives bonus fire rate. Check the screenshot again. All it grants (apart from the traditions themselves) is +2 starbase and war policy setting...

that would be why he said atm

he was pointing out that in 1.9 it gives a free 15% with no penalty and it is not considered a must have. reading comprehension is key

also it grants the doctrines don't forget those

because those star bases give you faster research more energy and higher fleet cap, and that's just for starting the tree.

well for one that +15% now goes as high as 33% and gives much more flexibility to the fleets but the real kicker is the +2 starbase and 20% cheaper stare base upgrades.

How the hell the starbases give more energy and research? You know you can build mining/research station in any system as long as you have a basic outpost in it and those you can have infinite, right?

When are you going to let us organise the planets tab.

E.g. allow us to sort them manually and set sub groups in sub menus.

This would help with the menu cluster phuckle in large late games.

Weren't you just arguing that expansion would let you have more systems, so more resources and more starbases?
shhhhhh you can't ask him to be consistent AND argue that supremacy isn't going to be broken in 2.0
We reel with inchoate fear, and are thrown into a sudden panic.
Making this statement we would no doubt be unprepared for overlooking something were it not for the other excellent statements made in the rest of the post.
The statements which you have completely ignored, by the way.