• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Foulques just had an epiphany, this comes to show that even the most proud of men can change.

Having read the wikipedia page about Foulques in real life, i must say that he resembles the Foulques of the AAR quite a lot, although, worringly, he does die in 1109 in otl.

Last edited:
Reactions:
An episode of great emotional depth. Not so much to see on the surface - a feast, and three conversations, but a lot of ground covered.

Foulques clearly has an advantage over the new King - more than one in fact.

But this attempted raproachment with Geoffrey has been a long time coming. Perhaps the loss of King Phillippe - and being booted off the Council - was enough of a shock for Foulques to be forced to re-assess some things. The perspective from Anjou is different from the King's Court. Also, a daughter's marriage ... and a serious chat with the mother and old flame ... these are moments when such talks can hit hard.

And it appears they did.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Iron Duke has been at the end of his era for at least 15 years. He's just taken this long to tie up loose ends (because there's a lot of them) and find peace in doing so. But I think he will be just fine. He has, for all intents and purposes (bar some real game shittyness) won, in most aspects and in every way gained what he set out to get. A name, a legacy, power, respect, fear, a Hoise of his own, lovers, brilliant children, (generally) decent lieges...even a few friends.

Yeah he's an utter turd and he probably deserves a good deal of CKII style 'justice' on his deathbed but I think he's done alright. He could have been a lot crueller or tyrannical in his reign and power, could have essentially sunk France so low that it would never have arisen again (not in a recognisable form anyway) but instead he's done quite a lot in his power to safeguard the kingdom, strengthen the country and, weirdly enoug, do the right thing in regards to many areas (save for treatment of individuals, especially women, though to be fair to him I don't think it's possible to be nice in that regard due to fundamental game mechanics).

I could see him becoming a figure that will either be demonised or celebrated in the centuries to come by the French people (since he has many aspects of both a Shakespearean villain and a Romantic hero) but certainly not forgotten by them. Especially if his children end up ruling France or England...or both.

• 1Love
Reactions:
I thought the scene between Alearde and Foulques was touching in many ways. I was disappointed that in the end Foulques did not obtain the his hearts true desire. I felt that he realizes that Alearde was the one thing in his life that he truly wants and it is always just outside his reach.

I feel it is long overdue that Foulques and Geoffrey reconcile. I was glad to see Foulques take what Alearde told him and follow it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
A couple things spring to my mind, both of them as much about what isn't said as what is.

First:

Foulques took hold of her shoulders and began to rub them. “You are her mother. You wish what is best for her. What you teach her now will only serve her later.”

“You say that,” Alearde said. “But do you know what is like to believe your parent thinks ill of you?”

Foulques stopped. “No… my father died when I was a boy. I don’t truly remember him.”

Somewhat curious that he immediately mentions his father in reference to this, when we know that he's had one parent who was most certainly alive and a major presence in his life well into his adulthood, his mother Ermengarde, who certainly wasn't afraid to confront her own sons over their shortcomings -- both her major appearances in the story indeed seemed to involve her dressing down a young Foulques for one reason or another. Even as unreflective as he may be at times, I do find it hard to believe that he hasn't idly wondered from time to time whether she would approve of the man he's become or the things he's done along the way.

Of course, Foulques would have his own reasons for keeping that close to the chest. Maybe he doesn't want to admit it to Alearde, since it would involve him showing more of his vulnerable side than he'd like, and he's spent most of his life encased in thick armor both literally and metaphorically. Maybe he even really doesn't want to admit it to himself.

Second:

As Geoffrey sipped his wine, his expression of confusion did not dissipate. He expected something no doubt - an offer, a snarky remark, a put down, an insult… something.

Foulques could disarm him with a compliment. But he also could not bring himself to say one, not without it feeling forced and false. Geoffrey was a master of words. It would be as foolish as if he charged his father with a sword - a move easily deflected and dealt with.

So Foulques just sat there, sipping his wine. When he finished his cup, he poured another.

Finally he said: “Your mother. She used to speak to me on how she wished for you to have Aquitaine and Poitou.”

“I know,” Geoffrey said. “I mean, I know she wished for it.”

“Yes,” Foulques said. “What I mean to say is… I think she would be proud of what you have accomplished.”

Geoffrey’s eyes widened for a moment. The look of confusion returned quickly, as he appeared to struggle at how to respond.

“I… always thought she would be,” Geoffrey replied. “But… thank you.”

Again, while the worry of the words sounding false might be how he justifies it to himself, I can't help but wonder if the real reason he can't give Geoffrey an honest compliment from his own lips is because telling his son I'm proud of you would involve him admitting to Geoffrey (and to himself) I was wrong, something Foulques has never found it easy to say to anyone -- particularly to someone who might have reason to hold it over him (like Geoffrey undoubtedly would, granted -- father and son are entirely too alike in that regard). At the same time, I think he does genuinely want to make amends with Geoffrey, so he retreats to safer ground and hopes that Geoffrey's talent at reading between the lines will allow him to find the words he can't say himself.

That said, it's tough to be hard on the man at this late point in the story. Certainly he's been a cold, ruthless bastard of a man for much of his life, but at the same time he's already suffered greatly as a result of his sins. I think he deserves an opportunity to find a little peace and a little closure for once -- though, knowing him, that window might not be open for much longer.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Ahhh what maudlin poignancy in both those last 2 scenes. I particularly liked the father-son thing. You somehow convey awkward silence with words so well. Yet again I say bravo.

And I would also echo @TheButterflyComposer’s words re the legacy of this Proud lord. He will stand high in France’s pantheon methinks and history will judge him kindly indeed.

An era is drawing to a close

• 1Like
Reactions:
Interesting part. It's the start of a new era, but Foulques is not of this time. His end is looming on the horizon, and he tries to make peace with his demons.

The Alearde-Foulques relationship is kind of sad.

You're right - Foulques really isn't of this time. But he's not giving up the stage without a fight. And he's going to make peace on his own terms.

I've written Alearde/Foulques as a bit of a tragedy. But I also agree with what Alearde has reiterated a few times - their relationship would not be as strong if they had remained involved. Foulques is right that she was not worthless regardless of how her life ended up, but he'd never have truly seen it unless they didn't end up together.

The sense I get is of a man tying up loose ends and preparing for the end. Probably not the worst thing in the world for him, but it just shows how close the end of Foulques' saga is.

Also, I hate being at peace. No matter the plans I make, it's just not the same. Very little action, plots that take years to come to fruition. Good job as always, making it seem as though a lot is happening even when there truly is not. The dynastic subplots, at least, will provide plenty of intrigue.

There's probably a bit of preparation for the end in Foulques' subconscious. He knows he can't live forever, even if he still feels fit and healthy.

Technically we're not at peace - originally I planned to have Foulques on campaign in Poitou, but the darn epidemic kept him from leading armies. I don't blame you for forgetting, given what a weak fight poor Patricia put up. I'll also admit that while I was concerned there wouldn't be much, there arguably is more happening now than in most of the 1090s! At least now we've got marriages going on, Agnes more involved, Geoffrey on the council and actively messing around in Poitou... in the 1090s it was figuring out how to get Foulques involved in Philippe's stupidity. :)

Another very emotionally intelligent episode, full of both revelation but also subtle implication and unmentioned truths and perceptions. I like the way you avoid the tell-all Ricky Lake blurt-outs when dancing around some of the delicate subjects. The suspense and tension are the more powerful for it.

Thanks. Alearde was a complicated write up because it was about striking a balance between over the top and dramatic. Likewise, keeping Foulques in character while having his drink with Geoffrey wasn't easy. I'm glad you liked how it all shook out!

Foulques just had an epiphany, this comes to show that even the most proud of men can change.

Having read the wikipedia page about Foulques in real life, i must say that he resembles the Foulques of the AAR quite a lot, although, worringly, he does die in 1109 in otl.

Yes, I don't believe people can completely alter themselves, but slight changes, especially in the short term can happen. And that was Foulques here - Alearde struck a chord with him so he tried to alter his behavior. But in a distinctly Foulques way.

As for the wikipedia page, yes sir! I have largely tried to base his character off the history. Some aspects didn't happen, like Philippe seducing his wife, but I've tried to keep things in line with the historical figure, including a rivalry with his son.

And yes... he did die in 1109 in OTL... didn't he? ;)

An episode of great emotional depth. Not so much to see on the surface - a feast, and three conversations, but a lot of ground covered.

Foulques clearly has an advantage over the new King - more than one in fact.

But this attempted raproachment with Geoffrey has been a long time coming. Perhaps the loss of King Phillippe - and being booted off the Council - was enough of a shock for Foulques to be forced to re-assess some things. The perspective from Anjou is different from the King's Court. Also, a daughter's marriage ... and a serious chat with the mother and old flame ... these are moments when such talks can hit hard.

And it appears they did.

Thanks! I often times use that by design - which is why this AAR runs so long. The big events are the big events, but these small events and the conversations built around them help establish the depth that helps enhance those moments. The next chapter will likely be another one of these smaller moments.

Foulques has been forced to see Geoffrey in a new light. Philippe told him to, but having to rely on his political skills and gaining something out of them has at least made him reconsider. Of course, Foulques isn't going to completely admit Geoffrey's ways have value either, so you get this - a begrudging acceptance. You're right that important life moments can make you reconsider things - his children grow up and reach new heights. And Alearde, and he, grow old. It's important to consider how you want to be remembered - especially for a guy who is essentially writing his own memoir. ;)

The Iron Duke has been at the end of his era for at least 15 years. He's just taken this long to tie up loose ends (because there's a lot of them) and find peace in doing so. But I think he will be just fine. He has, for all intents and purposes (bar some real game shittyness) won, in most aspects and in every way gained what he set out to get. A name, a legacy, power, respect, fear, a Hoise of his own, lovers, brilliant children, (generally) decent lieges...even a few friends.

Yeah he's an utter turd and he probably deserves a good deal of CKII style 'justice' on his deathbed but I think he's done alright. He could have been a lot crueller or tyrannical in his reign and power, could have essentially sunk France so low that it would never have arisen again (not in a recognisable form anyway) but instead he's done quite a lot in his power to safeguard the kingdom, strengthen the country and, weirdly enoug, do the right thing in regards to many areas (save for treatment of individuals, especially women, though to be fair to him I don't think it's possible to be nice in that regard due to fundamental game mechanics).

I could see him becoming a figure that will either be demonised or celebrated in the centuries to come by the French people (since he has many aspects of both a Shakespearean villain and a Romantic hero) but certainly not forgotten by them. Especially if his children end up ruling France or England...or both.

Ha! You're right, Foulques arguably peaked in 1087 and has been managing to hold on for over 15 years now. You're right about his accomplishments as well - he accomplished most of what I set out for him (with one major goal not yet accomplished but actually remains a possibility). He's set his family up well, with contingency plans just in case. He's not a good person, but he's not the worst the realm or the time period has to offer. Guy didn't eat his pregnant daughter in law, after all. :eek:

I would mostly agree that he'd be well remembered. Though I'd add part of it could come down to how successful his descendants are. The real Foulques IV seems to have been a fairly successful figure (he did take Anjou from his brother, he did fight with the Normans and re-establish a base of power by which his son could use to expand Anjou's influence) with plenty of interesting tidbits along with a prestigious line of descendants. But despite his history, was ultimately overshadowed by Foulques V, Geoffrey Plantagenet and Henry II. This Foulques was a bit more successful, I'd say, but still - it could well come down to how well the next generations do. Have sons and grandsons out do you, and you may end up a footnote in their histories. This actually is one of Foulques' fears too, which is part of his hang up with Geoffrey and also why he promotes his grandson, kind of as a petty revenge on his own son for outdoing him. (You'll outdo me, well your son will outdo you, how do you like that?)

I thought the scene between Alearde and Foulques was touching in many ways. I was disappointed that in the end Foulques did not obtain the his hearts true desire. I felt that he realizes that Alearde was the one thing in his life that he truly wants and it is always just outside his reach.

I feel it is long overdue that Foulques and Geoffrey reconcile. I was glad to see Foulques take what Alearde told him and follow it.

Thanks. I am always tempted to put them together. Even if it was for just a night. But... part of me thinks their relationship works better this way. I almost feel as though it would weaken Alearde's character to put them back together. It was the past. She's grown beyond him.

Seeing someone you care about shaken so can have an affect - enough where Foulques did not even care whether she said it to make him realize his own failures with Geoffrey. I don't think Foulques and Geoffrey could ever be friends but they can have a greater respect for one another.

A couple things spring to my mind, both of them as much about what isn't said as what is.

First:

Somewhat curious that he immediately mentions his father in reference to this, when we know that he's had one parent who was most certainly alive and a major presence in his life well into his adulthood, his mother Ermengarde, who certainly wasn't afraid to confront her own sons over their shortcomings -- both her major appearances in the story indeed seemed to involve her dressing down a young Foulques for one reason or another. Even as unreflective as he may be at times, I do find it hard to believe that he hasn't idly wondered from time to time whether she would approve of the man he's become or the things he's done along the way.

Of course, Foulques would have his own reasons for keeping that close to the chest. Maybe he doesn't want to admit it to Alearde, since it would involve him showing more of his vulnerable side than he'd like, and he's spent most of his life encased in thick armor both literally and metaphorically. Maybe he even really doesn't want to admit it to himself.

Second:

Again, while the worry of the words sounding false might be how he justifies it to himself, I can't help but wonder if the real reason he can't give Geoffrey an honest compliment from his own lips is because telling his son I'm proud of you would involve him admitting to Geoffrey (and to himself) I was wrong, something Foulques has never found it easy to say to anyone -- particularly to someone who might have reason to hold it over him (like Geoffrey undoubtedly would, granted -- father and son are entirely too alike in that regard). At the same time, I think he does genuinely want to make amends with Geoffrey, so he retreats to safer ground and hopes that Geoffrey's talent at reading between the lines will allow him to find the words he can't say himself.

That said, it's tough to be hard on the man at this late point in the story. Certainly he's been a cold, ruthless bastard of the man for much of his life, but at the same time he's already suffered greatly as a result of his sins. I think he deserves an opportunity to find a little peace and a little closure for once -- though, knowing him, that window might not be open for much longer.

This is actually a moment where I could use an editor! You are right that Ermengarde had a large impact on his life. I did not forget - in fact, I was actually imagining a future scene which examines that exact question of how Ermengarde would view his actions while I was writing out this scene! But I didn't think Foulques would focus on that because he'd naturally gravitate toward something reflective of himself and Geoffrey - his own father/son relationship or lack thereof. He also, in most moments thinks Ermengarde would understand what he's done and would resist any thoughts otherwise. However, to not address Ermengarde at all is an oversight in this style of narrative even if it's to dismiss it for the reasons you say. So, my apologies on that.

Your reading of the second scene is also spot on, and very much what I intended. Foulques does not like to admit being wrong, and this would be admitting a lot of how he's handled Geoffrey was wrong. And you're also right that Geoffrey likely would use it for the future, even if in the short term it would likely leave him feeling overcome by accomplishment. So yes, a compromise - throw him a compliment but preface it by making it his mother who is proud of him - something Geoffrey never has really doubted, nor had any reason to.

I think Foulques is a man who can cause conflicted feelings. Take Alearde - that she has moved on from him is completely deserved. But I can't deny that when I write these scenes I feel for him - I want them to be back together. Or this scene with Geoffrey. I did want to write them being closer after it... but that's not who Foulques is.

Ahhh what maudlin poignancy in both those last 2 scenes. I particularly liked the father-son thing. You somehow convey awkward silence with words so well. Yet again I say bravo.

And I would also echo @TheButterflyComposer’s words re the legacy of this Proud lord. He will stand high in France’s pantheon methinks and history will judge him kindly indeed.

An era is drawing to a close

Thank you! The awkward silence is hard - it's very much a visual thing! On the page, it's hard to translate. I worked on the last few paragraphs more than anything else in the chapter just to get the end note right.

I'll say history tends to look at successful rulers favorably, even if they are ruthless (to reason). I've read accounts of Plantagenet England that argue John really wasn't any more of a tyrant than his father or brother. He was just less successful, making his flaws easier to pick on. (That doesn't excuse him, of course) So yes, Foulques' success does increase the likelihood of him being remembered fondly though there will always be a few historians to argue Foulques was France's greatest monster of the time. ;)

To all - I'm looking at Wednesday/Thursday for the next update. I debated whether or not to include this as it is not the most... exciting events, but I figured it would work as one of those aforementioned smaller events which build characters and set scenes. And then after that chapter, it will be time for a Geoffrey chapter which does have a somewhat significant event (and maybe two, depending on how I decided to portray that event - if I introduce it in his chapter and then carry it over to Foulques').

As always, thanks for all the comments and feedback!

Reactions:
a truly masterpiece! is this the beginning of Father an Son ruling together over the galaxy... I mean, France?

Reactions:
a truly masterpiece! is this the beginning of Father an Son ruling together over the galaxy... I mean, France?

Thanks for that high praise! I warn though, there are still twists on the road to Angevin power.

Up next is a shorter chapter - I can actually write those. :) In fact, I suspect the next three chapters will all be shorter. As a consequence, they may come out quicker.

I did debate whether to include this event but isn't something I felt I could ignore and decided to use it to give a little more light on the potential future. Hope you all enjoy!

Reactions:
Chapter 116 - February 1103
Before Plantagenet - Chapter 116
February 1103 - Anjou, France

Foulques stood silently, watching the battle with great anticipation... and a twinge of nervousness.

It had been a surprisingly close encounter in this initial showdown between the two. He had expected it to be a quick, simple affair with little question over the outcome. But this clash had now lasted for what seemed like an hour with the resolution only now starting to take shape.

And as a knight moved into position, the battle drew to a close.

“Check mate,” Foulques’ grandson said.

1103_Foulques_the_younger.jpg

A smile came to the elder duke’s face. He was concerned for a bit there - given he valued the martial mind of his grandson, he expected him to fare well in chess. And he had - against other children.

But it turned out Foulques own son was a match for him.

Not Geoffrey. It was his second son and first with Haldora, also named Foulques. The boy was rarely called that though - and when he was it usually had “the fair” as an epithet, as a result of his very pale complexion. Other times though, he was simply called Foulqueson - a bit of humor played at way some other cultures, including the Northmen, always named their boys their father’s name with “son” at the end.

1103_Foulqueson.jpg

Foulqueson was a year younger than his nephew and the two often spent time together. Unfortunately for Foulqueson, he had three bits of misfortune. The first was that he was third in line to the duchy of Anjou. The second was that while Geoffrey and Foulques the younger would gain Anjou, Aquitaine and likely Poitou in time, Foulqueson would be limited to his father’s holdings in Anjou, at best.

And the third was simply the truth his mother Haldora was not viewed in the best of lights. While it wasn’t as if Foulques the younger’s mother, Marguerite, was viewed any better, Foulques could more easily ignore her than he could his own wife.

Despite that, Foulqueson had received the same martial education as his nephew so perhaps it shouldn’t have been the most surprising to see him display a similar acumen.

“A good show boy,” Foulques told his grandson.

The boy smiled. “Thank you grandfather.”

Foulques could see his son looked toward him, likely hoping for some compliment as well. The duke could not bring himself to praise defeat… so he said nothing.

Perhaps he should not have been surprised when Foulqueson’s eyes grew sullen.

The duke looked to the entrance to his chamber. There Herve stood. He had been there a little while, waiting for the end of this match to take the boys out for their sparring session. It was a role he had inherited with Renaud away on campaign and Herve with little else to do with the keep in seclusion.

He had reported back to Foulques the boys got along well enough, despite their situation being one to promote rivalry between the two. They weren’t chummy, but showed a mutual respect.

The boys were out of their chairs and over to Herve quickly. Foulqueson looked back to his father.

“Will you be watching us today, father?” he asked.

Foulques thought about it. He had checked in on them periodically during the seclusion in Anjou but Herve had told him that the boys’ form tended to be sloppy and overaggressive when he did. After the chess game, the odds that happened again would be high.

But he had a valid excuse this time - it was time for a meeting of his council. So he told the boys he would watch if ended early and then sent them off, disappointed. Then he walked off to the strategy hall, knowing he was already late, and was hardly surprised to see the council, along with Agnes, was already gathered around the large table in the center of the hall when he arrived.

“I was attending to a lesson with the boys,” Foulques said. “I assume we are ready to begin?”

“We are my lord,” Godfrey said.

“First business,” Foulques said. “This damn disease. Has it begun to abate?”

“In Normandy, yes,” Godfrey said. “It has been… difficult there but like a brilliant fire, it has burned brightly and has begun to die out.”

1103_Epidemic_in_Normandy.jpg

“Normandy,” Foulques said. “But what of here?”

Godfrey lowered his head. “No my lord. Here it still rages.”

Foulques sighed. Things had grown worse during the fall, with many in Anjou falling ill with smallpox. Whole villages found themselves afflicted. It caused Foulques to order the total lockdown of the keep, with no one coming in or out.

Messages were rarely sent, and most were sent through replies to messages received. Those messages were received with person delivering them telling them to a person on the other side of a gate or tunnel door.

It was frustrating to essentially cut one’s self off from the outside world. But Foulques did not wish to risk his health or those within the keep - especially his grandson. He saw the boy as the future, and would not put him in danger unnecessarily.

“Based on what has transpired in Normandy, we believe it will last about another half year,” Godfrey said. “Perhaps in the summer it will finally break.”

Leaning forward on the large table, Foulques shook his head. He could see his disappointment was shared as nearly everyone on the council looked downtrodden.

“What other news?” Foulques asked. “How is my daughter?”

“She and Prince Henri are well,” Godfrey said. “The epidemic has abated there.”

Foulques nodded. He had received word a few months back that Bella was pregnant - a surprise given she had just been wed, but the fact that she and Henri had likely conceived a child so soon was considered a good sign.

However, since the epidemic was present in Normandy, Foulques harbored some concern. That she was safe and the disease had faded was a relief.

“Did that come from Geoffrey?” Foulques asked.

“It did, my lord,” Godfrey said.

“Has he any other news for us?” Foulques wondered.

“He believes the Duchess Patricia is near defeat,” Godfrey replied. “She goes to the king, looking for him to intervene, but he does not think it likely. Once that fails, she will admit she is bested.”

1103_War_against_Patricia.jpg

We will see, Foulques thought. Patricia had been routed at every turn, with the duchess herself fleeing Poitou entirely after her keep had fallen to Angevin forces and her secondary one in Saintonge surrendered to Geoffrey’s levy.

Despite that, and the fact she was outnumbered by thousands, she had yet to admit her defeat. It almost seemed as if only her capture would allow that, and Foulques knew Geoffrey could not seize from Melun.

“What of the rebels?” Foulques asked.

“They will likely need to be dealt with as well,” Marshal Nominoe replied. “But our forces also greatly outnumber theirs. And we have bested them when we have fought.”

It seems as if this war is a leisurely stroll, Foulques thought. He did so with a twinge of regret - he would have enjoyed being out there. Even if the challenge was not there, the fact he could be at the head of an army again, leading men in battle - it was something he missed.

And something a small part of him wondered if he’d ever get to do again.

“Is there anything else?” Foulques asked. When no one responded he adjourned the meeting.

But while the council members dispersed, steward Guilhem remained behind - a tell-tale sign he wished to tell Foulques something others were not supposed to hear. The duke’s stomach churned - post council meetings was something usually left to the spymaster Julien, or Agnes - if Guilhem spoke of it, the matter was likely serious.

“What is it?” Foulques asked.

“I have… bad news of our situation,” Guilhem said. “Our food stores begin to run low.”

Another clench of his stomach. “I thought we had enough to get through the summer.”

Guilhem motioned for Foulques to follow him. The duke did.

“Some of the meats were improperly prepared,” Guilhem said. “They have spoiled and would be unsafe to eat.”

1103_Food_Shortage.jpg

Foulques cursed. The seclusion during the measles outbreak a decade ago did not have this problem.

“How much food do we have?” Foulques asked.

“I would estimate… another two months,” Guilhem said. “At the longest. A month at the shortest.”

Foulques stroked his beard as he tried to dismiss the sense of dread that threatened to overtake him. No food would mean death. But so too could opening the gates.

Perhaps, within two months it would begin to abate and they could take the chance.

But what if it didn’t?

“The food needs to last us beyond the two months,” Foulques said. “We will cut the meals in the keep down from two to one. And limit the portions with each meal.”

Guilhem nodded. “That will extend our supply for a time. We may make it to the summer months then.”

Foulques did not like the sound of “may.” Then something caught is eye… a disgusting rat. It was a fairly sizeable one too, which was probably why it felt comfortable enough to move about the keep during the day.

Then a thought came to the duke. It was something he was not proud of. But as a warrior, he knew survival was tantamount.

1103_Eating_Rats.jpg

“The rats we kill,” Foulques began. “Prepare them as if they were meat from any other animal.”

He expected Guilhem to blanche at that or show some sign of shock. Instead all Foulques received was a solemn nod.

“I will have it done,” Guilhem said. “And I would assume we shall keep that bit quiet?”

Foulques nodded. Survival over pride in practicality - but he was prideful enough where he did not want to openly admit it. And morale in the keep was already falling - this would likely push it down further. Order might well become more difficult to maintain.

“Any other news to report?” Foulques asked.

“No, my lord,” Guilhem said.

And with that, Foulques dismissed his steward. He could not even be angry with him - Guilhem had served him too long, too honestly and too well to blame him for this.

But as Foulques wandered out toward the courtyard, his nervousness would not abate. What if their food did run out? What if they were forced to open the gates, and take their chances amidst this raging epidemic?

Uncertainty had become a more commonplace in Foulques’ life since the death of Philippe. But Foulques rarely ever felt he had lost control - he lost his seat on the council but retained influence through Geoffrey. He did not have sway with the king in person, but his levy outsized Hugues even more than it had Philippe.

But now? Now he was faced with something he could not control. They would eventually run out of food. And if the disease remained… the choices would be few.

He looked toward the boys sparring. Foulqueson caught sight of him, and sure enough, made an aggressive slash downward at Foulques the younger. It was an attack easily sidestepped by Foulques the younger, and then countered with a blow from his shield which sent Foulqueson to the ground.

Normally, Foulques would have praised his grandson for his composure. But now, he was more angry at his son.

“Poor,” Foulques told his son. “You went for a foolish attack. Had this been a real fight, you would have been dead. Or his prisoner.”

Foulqueson appeared to be shocked by his father’s response. He was rendered speechless.

“Well? What have you got to say for yourself?” Foulques demanded.

“I… I will do better next time, father,” Foulques said.

“Show me,” Foulques ordered. “Again.”

His son picked himself up and readjusted his helmet and leather armor. Then he moved at Foulques the Younger again.

He will be ready, Foulques thought as he watched his son struggle against his grandson. He may never be needed, but he will be ready.

1103_Foulques.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
What you call a "shorter chapter" is roughly the same length as what I call "my lengthiest chapter" :confused:

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Eating the rats is the safe choice, though I've never seen that event chain during an actual plague. Hmmmm...

Anywho, it's nice to see a more domestic household affair highlighted as opposed o the standard military matters. Well done, a fairly pleasant interlude.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well Foulques is, in many ways, a practical man. On the battlefield he does what is needed to win - it is no surprise he does that in the here and now.

He is almost tender with his grandson ... in a way he never was with his son, if memory serves.

Reactions:
When it comes to his offspring, Foulques can never hold enough of a poker face to keep that "Son, I am disappoint" from bleeding through, can he?

It seems like you're alluding to a future Lion in Winter scenario where the Duke of Anjou's children and grandchildren will battle for supremacy. Hopefully it works out better for them here than it did for the actual Plantagenets.

Foulques did not like the sound of “may.” Then something caught is eye… a disgusting rat. It was a fairly sizeable one too, which was probably why it felt comfortable enough to move about the keep during the day.

Then a thought came to the duke. It was something he was not proud of. But as a warrior, he knew survival was tantamount.

“The rats we kill,” Foulques began. “Prepare them as if they were meat from any other animal.”

(°o°;)Uh oh... I hope they cook the rats at a high enough temperature to kill the hantavirus, leptospirosis and other goodies they can be hauling around.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Perhaps word of the rats does get out to confirm his 'ill-ruler' epithet a bit more :rolleyes:.

I find it always good to see how you manage to distinguish same-named people, a necessary distinction too. Foulqueson does have a nice ring to it :p.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Interesting chapter, loving the uncle-nephew dynamic between both Foulques as i can easily see a rivalry developing there.

Foulques has hit the 60 mark. I fear we'll not see him alive for his 70 birthday, although, if you went for the Hunter focus or the Family :rolleyes:

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yikes rat eating! I’ve had that event chain occur on me whilst in seclusion...I turned my nose up. Half starved to death and my spouse was not so fortunate...

Was surprised by the shorter chapter length

Reactions:
are you considering giving some titles to your other sons?

• 1Like
Reactions: