• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For now that's all abstracted into the prosperity system. Something more involved may be introduced at some point down the road, but right now I think things are complex enough as-is.
Ok, I don't apply for having it rushed on ;).

I'm going to make a clarification that might help. What you're posting above is actually two orders:
1) "asking the people to accept the increased taxation as with the northern raids, the realm must be prepared to plunge into war"
2) "raises a tax in Lancaster and York"

Now for this specific turn, players can skip the first part with no penalty: It's assumed that the past turn or two were spent preparing for whatever it is you do this turn. After this turn though, there will be a penalty for not "preparing" for an order.
ok. so for this turn, I can skip the first part and it'll automatically go to 2

I'll be honest, I've never read the rules.
Well that explains why I've had so much trouble handling your orders. :D

I don't expect anyone to go through all of the rules, but you should at least read the little mechanics summary I put together in the first post. Also, don't hesitate to ask questions if you ever don't know what's going on or how to do something. :)

Just to be fair with the new system and everything, I'm going to hold off on actually rolling results until tomorrow morning. If anyone wants to tweak their orders (or maybe submit some... ;) ), you can post in the orders thread in the next 12 hours or so and I'll work off that instead.

Well that explains why I've had so much trouble handling your orders. :D

I don't expect anyone to go through all of the rules, but you should at least read the little mechanics summary I put together in the first post. Also, don't hesitate to ask questions if you ever don't know what's going on or how to do something. :)

Just to be fair with the new system and everything, I'm going to hold off on actually rolling results until tomorrow morning. If anyone wants to tweak their orders (or maybe submit some... ;) ), you can post in the orders thread in the next 12 hours or so and I'll work off that instead.
To be honest, I have few questions to ask, yet I try to consider how to not be confused with ignorant stating them ;).
From most important question is: how big mechanic-wise is "unit"?
I do follow late medieval (although it's older system, dating to late Roman times and reintroduced in later medievality in my area with changed names) of dividing units into "Rotas" and "Banners" (one Rota is 100 infantrymen, no matter if those are spearmen, archers or other troops, while one banner is 100 cavalrymen, again of different sorts). It is notabene German reinvention of late Roman militia system, but it was common in the area :).
That is why I ordered to train 300 soldiers (or 2 rotas of spearmen and one rota of archers) and arm them properly. It'll be my "retinue" for permament defence.
(BTW, the terms "retinue knight", "shieldman" and retinue system is in the area as early as X century - there's no earlier written data about that, because of obvious reasons).

From most important question is: how big mechanic-wise is "unit"?
I do not know nor do I care. :D

Translating mechanical numbers into real-world numbers is one of those things that I leave up to players because, if I don't, I end up having to deal with things like "Why is one unit of Viking warriors only as effective as one unit of peasant levies?" Then I need to add new mechanics for that, and some players already feel that what we have now is too complicated.

Ultimately, I find it's best to just have the mechanics be fairly abstract — army strength is measured in "units", value/prosperity don't represent anything specific, etc. — and let players fill in the blanks.

Ok, rolls made. Actual stats update will be tonight since I kind of need to get started with work already... :D

I do not know nor do I care. :D

Translating mechanical numbers into real-world numbers is one of those things that I leave up to players because, if I don't, I end up having to deal with things like "Why is one unit of Viking warriors only as effective as one unit of peasant levies?" Then I need to add new mechanics for that, and some players already feel that what we have now is too complicated.

Ultimately, I find it's best to just have the mechanics be fairly abstract — army strength is measured in "units", value/prosperity don't represent anything specific, etc. — and let players fill in the blanks.
From my perspective it's more important roleplaying wise than stats playing wise. But ok ;).

Will the army size be added to the stats?

Also how many units did I get from the 5 turn pre-update army order?

May I ask if you could uptade the stats, @Schlieffen ?

From my perspective it's more important roleplaying wise than stats playing wise. But ok ;).
Kind of yes, but kind of no. I definitely agree that the in-character stuff is the most important since this is an RPG and all, but the actual point of the mechanics is to serve as a level playing field. There are always going to be arguments about what the result of in-character actions would be: I RPed gathering an elite guard so I should get a bonus against his levies, I've RPed gaining control over the wool trade so I should be getting extra Wealth, etc. I'll keep these things in-mind when it comes to events and modifiers, but by having the general mechanics step back I can go "You have 10 Units; whether those are 300 elite soldiers or 1000 levies is up to your RP", "Prosperity increases; whether that's from trade or population increasing is left to your RP"; etc.

Now, I do encourage players to RP details like this if they want to, and I'm more than open to having events "tweak" the mechanics a bit to reflect that RP. I still leave most of that stuff to RP though since it means I can keep the rules/stats fairly simple, players don't need to RP every little detail at all times, and having that consistent "basic level" for player actions helps keep things fair for everyone. :)

Will the army size be added to the stats?

Also how many units did I get from the 5 turn pre-update army order?
None since the order was never actually finished, but I'll be generous and give that for free. ;)

And yes, I'm about to work on stats now. Work ran late yesterday, and by the time I was finished I just needed to go to bed. :(

Kind of yes, but kind of no. I definitely agree that the in-character stuff is the most important since this is an RPG and all, but the actual point of the mechanics is to serve as a level playing field. There are always going to be arguments about what the result of in-character actions would be: I RPed gathering an elite guard so I should get a bonus against his levies, I've RPed gaining control over the wool trade so I should be getting extra Wealth, etc. I'll keep these things in-mind when it comes to events and modifiers, but by having the general mechanics step back I can go "You have 10 Units; whether those are 300 elite soldiers or 1000 levies is up to your RP", "Prosperity increases; whether that's from trade or population increasing is left to your RP"; etc.

Now, I do encourage players to RP details like this if they want to, and I'm more than open to having events "tweak" the mechanics a bit to reflect that RP. I still leave most of that stuff to RP though since it means I can keep the rules/stats fairly simple, players don't need to RP every little detail at all times, and having that consistent "basic level" for player actions helps keep things fair for everyone. :)
I do understand your point. My view isn't about superior units of any sort or any power gaining characteristics, but rather to organize regularity in army numbers for sake of both roleplaying and fair gameplay, especially if basic unit size would remain the very same for every kind of units per se.

I do understand your point. My view isn't about superior units of any sort or any power gaining characteristics, but rather to organize regularity in army numbers for sake of both roleplaying and fair gameplay, especially if basic unit size would remain the very same for every kind of units per se.
Well as a quick unofficial number, think of 1 Unit as roughly 100 levy soldiers. I have no idea if the numbers will actually be realistic or not, but it's a starting point for now. :)

Stats updated. Everyone remember that we're back to having orders every turn (although I imagine we're back to players actually having things they want to do next turn now, so that won't be a problem :p ).

@BlackCrown @Firehoude15 @Sneakyflaps Since you didn't get orders in, I'll extend the offer to have this next turn's orders be prep-free, so you can just raise your armies/taxes/whatever immediately.

Well as a quick unofficial number, think of 1 Unit as roughly 100 levy soldiers. I have no idea if the numbers will actually be realistic or not, but it's a starting point for now. :)
Then I'd ask to cut down my recruitment results, because I asked for 300 soldiers (3 units, using that calculations), not 2100 ones :).
Sorry if it's demanding, but it shocked me a bit.
I'd, instead, ask of giving them modifier like "good supplied/equipped", because I spent that money on ensuring that they'll be properly supplied, not on massive numbers. :) I doesn't necessary mean that people would fight "better" or so, rather that Earl took care about their mantainance :).
Sorry for adding additional task for you though.
On side note, the order for turn nine was made when 1 unit costed 10 units of wealth, so it was applied to that rules :).

Last edited:
Ok, less than a third of our players submitted orders this turn, so I need to ask: Are we still continuing this, or is everyone done? I've asked repeatedly the past two weeks if there's any confusion and no-one's really spoken up, so I don't know if people have just lost interest in the game based on how I run things, if the setting's gotten dull, or what.

If anyone's going to point out the rule changes and such then I'll concede that we've had a bit of a rough start, but if we want this to work then I need you guys to work with me too: I've been trimming down rules and such as I learn and tried to make things as clear as possible, and every time I've done so no-one's spoken up and said there were any problems so I've assumed everyone's been on board. If we need to restart or something so everyone feels like things are more stable then fine, but I need to know what's going on or I can't fix things.

I forgot how quick the turnover is now we're back on track. My bad.

Ok, less than a third of our players submitted orders this turn, so I need to ask: Are we still continuing this, or is everyone done? I've asked repeatedly the past two weeks if there's any confusion and no-one's really spoken up, so I don't know if people have just lost interest in the game based on how I run things, if the setting's gotten dull, or what.

If anyone's going to point out the rule changes and such then I'll concede that we've had a bit of a rough start, but if we want this to work then I need you guys to work with me too: I've been trimming down rules and such as I learn and tried to make things as clear as possible, and every time I've done so no-one's spoken up and said there were any problems so I've assumed everyone's been on board. If we need to restart or something so everyone feels like things are more stable then fine, but I need to know what's going on or I can't fix things.
I can play this even if I'd be only player :).
I'll try to be on line with orders.

Maybe re-mention the turn to everyone, so that all get an alert. From personal experience, some might've forgot this without getting many alerts since last time

Oh, shit, sorry - I didnt get any deadline, so I wasn't on guard for any incoming turns. Can you please, just for me, reiterate when orders are generally due? Is it still, as I recall from the rules, Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday, or am I missing something. Apologies again for not sending orders in.

Oh, shit, sorry - I didnt get any deadline, so I wasn't on guard for any incoming turns. Can you please, just for me, reiterate when orders are generally due? Is it still, as I recall from the rules, Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday, or am I missing something. Apologies again for not sending orders in.
Orders are due on Mondays and Fridays according to Rules thread and first post in Orders thread.
Of course in case of emergency (like now) the turn can be delayed.