Object types that can be replaced in separate files

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm not talking about events, I'm talking about 5 buttons that appear when selecting observation outpost. If I want to change cost, or conditions for those, can I do separately it or can I not?
My bad, you meant Missions.

It should be easy to check. Just form a look, I noticed that every form of Enlightenment (based on starting Age) has their Own Mission. So if you make a duplicate, that should just appear twice.

Events: Strictly speaking, an event can't be overwritten. What can be done instead is putting a modified vanilla event (same id) in a new file that will be read before the core file. This will cause the game to accept the mod's event and reject the core one, with a warning sent to the error log.
What exactly does it mean? How do I ensure this is what will happen?

It is first read, only applied. Once one set of code for any Event ID has been read in, that one can not be overwritten. Any attempt to do so (both by the vanilla files and other mods) should add a error to the error log.

Our current knowledge is that the game reads in the files in the folder as they would be sorted by ASCII sort. A close approximation is the "sort by name" sorting.
Note that it might actually be Windows sorting instead - wich actually reads numbers as numbers, rather then ASCII characters and varries between Windows Versions.
It really depends how the game is getting the contents of the folder and how that API sorts stuff.

If the event you want to change is in "advisor_events", name your file something that will be read before that one, like "00_advisor_events". Then you just copy and paste the event in question into your file, make your changes, and add "namespace = advisor" at the top. That's all it takes. I can confirm that it works.

The localization override doesn't seem to work for me.

Path is common/localisation/replace, file name is "vacuum_1_english.yml", and the contents are just l_english: pc_barren_cold:0 "Vacuum World" .
Have you tried common/localisation/english/replace ?

Spaceport modules come up with error messages, but no negative effects from overwriting with files later in the asciibet.

On the other hand, techs cause issues. Somewhere I read that you could overwrite fine. This is NOT the case. They won't actually be duplicated, but some techs (even ones that you haven't touched) can be caused to no longer appear as options. This is particularly problematic when the tech in question is spaceport_level_4...

My tests indicate that you can overwrite ascension perks in the same way as spaceport modules, they will also come up as errors in the log mind.

I've just mucked around a bit with 00_on_actions.txt. Tried naming the file 00_00_on_actions.txt, 99_on_actions.txt, aa_on_actions.txt and, just for good measure, 00_on_action.txt

Nothing in the error log, only thing I noticed in-game was a few things being doubled (like number of fleets, civilian ships). So presumably on_actions can't be replaced without replacing the whole file.

You don't need to. You can copy individual event handles into a different file in the same folder and add in additional calls into that handle.

If you want to over-ride current calls, over-ride the called event instead.

You don't need to. You can copy individual event handles into a different file in the same folder and add in additional calls into that handle.

If you want to over-ride current calls, over-ride the called event instead.
I know, I know, but it's an icky event to change. I think I got it working though, so big win I guess.

I've just mucked around a bit with 00_on_actions.txt. Tried naming the file 00_00_on_actions.txt, 99_on_actions.txt, aa_on_actions.txt and, just for good measure, 00_on_action.txt

Nothing in the error log, only thing I noticed in-game was a few things being doubled (like number of fleets, civilian ships). So presumably on_actions can't be replaced without replacing the whole file.
Of course it is duplicated. This folder works inherently additive, and it is damn good that it does so. Just think about all the hoops we would have to jump through if they overrode one another!

Think of hte on_action file as a place where you register events:
If you want to register something new: Just add your own file into the folder under the proper header.
If you want to change what happens on certain triggers: Just overwrite the function that is being triggered. Can be a simple change (like just doing nothing).