Darkest Hour - Dev Diary #34 - Patch 1.05

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for the continuing support. I think that in the case of every other paradox game they improve on themselves, at least if you throw down on tons of DLC, but hoi2/DH is arguably still the best HOI. Maybe I am just nostalgic. And now I can actually play it again (AMD user). Now i just need to get my install modded on par with what i ran like a decade ago

Merry Christimas and Happy Holidays for all the amazing DH devs and all the mod developers.
May next year be a great year for all of you :D
And thank you for keeping this amazing game alive!

P

This upgrade seems nice (really, extra countries' tags are just great) but tell me one thing please (seriously, it's just question, not criticism, whining or whatever) - afaik there is no way to control il. intelligence through events/decisions so far, is it possible to add these later or it's just some hard-coded/unmoddable stuff?

To be more precise, I'd like to control intel levels in some way, eg. some backwarded countries jsut don't have any military intelligence in (let's say) 1914 in its modern sense, I'd like to prevent them to upgrade it to lvl 20, of course, they need money for that, but they can get it after all, whatever the reality is, it just would be nice, if there would be way to prevent some countries to upgrade their intel lvl one way or another...

I was personally thinking about changing whole Ministry of Military Intelligence into Ministry of Defence and keep intel upgrades just through decisions, but I think it could be useful to other modders (afaik, mil. intelligence is just the least moddable part of whole DH so far) - there is no command to level up/down intel level though, is it? If there would be, I would just go around by rising price for upgrading intel levels to millions so you just would have to go through decisions...

If there is way, let me know, anyone, really, pls, thanks, all the best :)

Conventionally intel has been limited by lower intelligence technology research. So, if you wanted to mod more drastic intel differences you could lower the overall effect of the intelligence script in misc.txt. Then expand the intel technologies, their research componenets, and tech team specialties. Starting techs and AI research scripting can be used to influence the base and future level research of intelligence techs as well.

... I'd like to control intel levels in some way, eg. some backwarded countries jsut don't have any military intelligence in (let's say) 1914 in its modern sense, I'd like to prevent them to upgrade it to lvl 20...

Intelligence parameters of AI countries (including min/max levels) are set in AI files and can be controlled from there.

I would think that the new movie about to be released by the name, 'Darkest Hour' will be seen as some sort of opportunity by Paradox. Regardless of their action, they will likely benefit. It would be nice if some king of overhaul were invested in. I've somewhat sat this game for reasons I've mentioned. I still love it and will get back to playing when TRP for 1.05 is out. In the end there's no substitute for time invested; which we all know equals money. All I can say is that I'd gladly chip in my share to see carrier plane units and perhaps some graphic enhancements(more zoomlevels, detail). Just saying.

Last edited:
Intelligence parameters of AI countries (including min/max levels) are set in AI files and can be controlled from there.
Well, I wanted to limit players as well… In some cases, some situations, some timeframes... For example if there is interbellum, it's kind of nonsense to let player level up intel to level 20 in 10 years, while prolonging the time limit to level up intel from half a year to let's say 4 years is also nonsense for wartime... Just saying. I am not expecting this option to be added, but it would be nice for whole 20th century scenario for example.

One more thing, though I didn't check yet, did the interbellum land doctrines start to make sense already? I remember there was some kinda fatal flow. I will have to have a closer look in order to specify this more closely.

Game needed an exclusive logic to it's basic functions that all interface features followed. Intelligence was total trash when it was first implemented in HoI2. That is one of the main things that Martin cleaned up. The arithmetic doesn't follow in line with the other game feautres though which creates an incongruency. Generally, if you want a peace time intel war to be subdued than you'll have to follow my examples and reduce the overall efficency of spy missions. Logically, spying and intelligence hasn't affected warfare to a great extent. It is so feared that actual operation orders and mission logic will be intercepted that the value of intelligence has been exploded in the public realm. Intercepts during WW2 of human and record intelligence were worth a grain of salt. Noone was assasinated, no tech plans were directly copied that weren't given, no nation was couped within an hours time by some function, etc... Still it is a cool game feature and should be refined.

Thanks so much excellent work. :)

EPIC ... GLORIOUS ... Thanks for your hard work ... dont forget guys to update the official graphics pack for the 1.05 ...

Do you know how I can get the official graphics pack?

Awesome job with 1.05 Martin! I've not played a ton yet but can already see the difference. An AI that doesn't make foolish mistakes is a major improvement. Weserbung now begins with securing Skaggerat instead of blindly sending an invasion fleet. Also I noticed improvement with Belgium and Holland in exile. I know I've been talking up the need for carrier plane units, though I never considered an argument for why they may not be needed. Are they needed?

Just dropping by to say "thanks" for still working on the project.
I played a lot of mod34 and DH (on release), but got sidetracked for a while.
I'm currently in the process to reassess Iron Cross and Darkest Hour and figure out all the differences/nuances, which seems rather tough without investing a lot of time and effort into scanning the code. Would love to directly support/contribute to both projects, but seems like saying thanks is the most I can do at the moment. Doubt I will be able to dig deep enough to actually make suggestions.
Will simply copy this post to both forums because I have yet to decide which I prefer. Anyway, diversity is always great.