Hearts of Iron IV removed from Steam in China

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chinese censorship is tightening every year under Xi, even VPNs are no longer safe to use.
For HOI4, its easy to see how it stirred the censor's paranoia.
Firstly, Tibet is non-core, which is a massive dealbreaker as China repeats the 'historically part of China' mantra
Secondly, Xinjiang is in the comintern, not part of Chinese faction, another obvious dealbreaker.
Thirdly, Taiwan under control of Japanese, Chinese textbooks like to underrepresent the Japanese 50 year rule in Taiwan, in part to maintain the 'historically china' narrative with an unbroken history of control, and in another part to avoid mentioning the contributions of Japan to Taiwan (which is why modern Taiwan is so close to Japan).
Fourthly, the communists always lose the civil war. The communist party likes to portray itself as the noble and destined winner to the war to the hopeless corrupt nationalist losers, this binary dogma has actually weakened in the recent years, with neutral portrayals of nationalists being tolerated in television, but HOI4 goes way too far in the nationalists' favor.

My suggestion is to make the Chinese version of HOI4 different from other languages, buffing the commies, giving Communist cores everywhere, super positive portrayals of Communist leaders through absurd events etc, this will help it get past censors, and Chinese players can use mods to reverse these changes. Paradox can consult their Tencent shareholders for further assistance.
The Chinese community for HOI4 is small, but China is still by far the biggest PC gaming market in the world, it would be wise to do some cheap countermeasures to get psat this incident.

Chinese censorship is tightening every year under Xi, even VPNs are no longer safe to use.
For HOI4, its easy to see how it stirred the censor's paranoia.
Firstly, Tibet is non-core, which is a massive dealbreaker as China repeats the 'historically part of China' mantra
Secondly, Xinjiang is in the comintern, not part of Chinese faction, another obvious dealbreaker.
Thirdly, Taiwan under control of Japanese, Chinese textbooks like to underrepresent the Japanese 50 year rule in Taiwan, in part to maintain the 'historically china' narrative with an unbroken history of control, and in another part to avoid mentioning the contributions of Japan to Taiwan (which is why modern Taiwan is so close to Japan).
Fourthly, the communists always lose the civil war. The communist party likes to portray itself as the noble and destined winner to the war to the hopeless corrupt nationalist losers, this binary dogma has actually weakened in the recent years, with neutral portrayals of nationalists being tolerated in television, but HOI4 goes way too far in the nationalists' favor.

My suggestion is to make the Chinese version of HOI4 different from other languages, buffing the commies, giving Communist cores everywhere, super positive portrayals of Communist leaders through absurd events etc, this will help it get past censors, and Chinese players can use mods to reverse these changes. Paradox can consult their Tencent shareholders for further assistance.
The Chinese community for HOI4 is small, but China is still by far the biggest PC gaming market in the world, it would be wise to do some cheap countermeasures to get psat this incident.
it will not work, this game has already catched the attention from the CCP big brother. Steam will not risk got banned entirely to recover this game in the chinese market.

Good riddle. Now you are free to make China as realistic as they are in history. China didnt united to fight Japan but fought each other in an opportunity warfare. Some got support from Japan. And mostly, Commie China rarely lifted their hand to fight Japan and fought a civil war to destroy Capitalist China. And that Commie China couldnt do a single jack without the help of Soviet. Also, re-enact the "rape of Nanking" event and "mug the civilians to get funds" focus for the sake of it.

Greatests new of the day.

Last edited:
Good riddle. Now you are free to make China as realistic as they are in history. China didnt united to fight Japan but fought each other in an opportunity warfare. Some got support from Japan. And mostly, Commie China rarely lifted their hand to fight Japan and fought a civil war to destroy Capitalist China. And that Commie China couldnt do a single jack without the help of Soviet. Also, re-enact the "rape of Nanking" event and "mug the civilians to get funds" focus for the sake of it.

They also need to go their own instead of obeying foreign laws (Germany's for instance).

Just confirmed with a friend in Shanghai, DLCs are also removed from the store.
DLCs are currently accessible for NOW but not sure for future.
1.png
2.png

DLCs are currently accessible for NOW but not sure for future.
View attachment 312201 View attachment 312203
I can't explain what is happaning... Maybe steam is still considering.

That would be great, don't forget all the war time arm trade between KMT, CCP and Japanese army, and the massive opium production, but i doubt whether paradox's AI can handle it.

Last edited:

There was an actual alliance between CCP and KMT at the beginning of the war, when the communists and nationalists fought alongside each other in northern China. It was when the Japanese ceased to lead any major advance that the two parties began to scramble lands behind the Japanese lines.

There was an actual alliance between CCP and KMT at the beginning of the war, when the communists and nationalists fought alongside each other in northern China. It was when the Japanese ceased to lead any major advance that the two parties began to scramble lands behind the Japanese lines.
yeah probably, but the united front was never united at the hoi4 level.

The biggest surprised is that the factions in China didnt at war with each other at the start of the game! Not even a truce! They just happily existed together. It's one thing to completely erase Soviet part to rebel Japan out of China but the way China is portrayed in Hoi4 is bullshit to the highest level. Now Paradox doesnt have to care about the game being banned for portray China realistically anymore so a change is a must! That is it if Paradox have the same balls they have when they charge us overprice dlc to do it.

Let the CCP live in its own little world of denial, let us have our historic games.

Theory of mine. From what I heard, CCP says there was not a Ww2 but only the "War against the Japanese aggression" or something like that. That would surely be worth a ban in the eyes of those paranoniac folks.

Last edited:
I don't feel said for hoi4 got banned even i feel paradox deserve that.Both PRC and CHI don't have core of tibet, PRC don't have core of hongkong, this game is not chinese, and i think in paradox's opinion the asian war zone is not a part of ww2, and most of steam user in china don't want paradox coop with tencent make a "ruined version of hoi4" luanch wegame for chinese players,such like in chinese version of dota2 the blood is black or green or look like shit, it ruined the game...

Let the CCP live in its own little world of denial, let us have our historic games.

Theory of mine. From what I heard, CCP says there was not a Ww2 but only the "War against the Japanese aggression" or something like that. That would surely be worth a ban in the eyes of those paranoniac folks.

I wonder who is the one in denial actually. Setting aside the issue of Tibet, the fact that there are actually playable warlord "states" is already a major distortion of history itself. Until this stopgap measure is replaced with a comprehensive system that could accurately represent the fragility of the Republic of China without demeaning its sovereignty, I fear that the forum will continue to be peppered with nationalistic outbursts, justified or otherwise.

And by the way, the Chinese are very well aware of the Second World War, and the Party never tried anything as foolish as trying to deny its existence. There is a difference between placing more emphasis on the Second Sino-Japanese War (the "War Against Japanese Aggression") in the history curriculum and repudiating the entire war completely.

"War against the Japanese aggression" definitely gets most emphasis in textbook, but "CCP says there was not a Ww2" is plain wrong. The main difference is that "War against the Japanese aggression" get a lot of shares because it's placed under the domestic history section (typically spans over four high school semesters), and the ww2 is place under world history section (for my case, it's only taught in the second semester of grade 11).
I've graduated from high school for 8 years so my information may not be that accurate, but I've never met a single Chinese person that deny or do not know the existence of ww2 (even if they know nothing beyond the name ww2).

• 1Like
Reactions:
"War against the Japanese aggression" definitely gets most emphasis in textbook, but "CCP says there was not a Ww2" is plain wrong. The main difference is that "War against the Japanese aggression" get a lot of shares because it's placed under the domestic history section (typically spans over four high school semesters), and the ww2 is place under world history section (for my case, it's only taught in the second semester of grade 11)

And by the way, the Chinese are very well aware of the Second World War, and the Party never tried anything as foolish as trying to deny its existence. There is a difference between placing more emphasis on the Second Sino-Japanese War (the "War Against Japanese Aggression") in the history curriculum and repudiating the entire war completely

Well, you could see my posts in this thread. In mainland China the domestic modern history is a compulsory subject that you must learn, while world history is not. I'm wondering if there is any country would not put emphasis on its domestic history. In the thread I told some of quotes come from history textbook, I don't think these quotes can be written in the books which are used to educate students if the government wants to "deny something".

As for the problem of Tibet(the most representative one), I see Tibet never had independent sovereignity and diplomatic power since 14th century(Yuan Dynasty), therefore it is reasonable to be a Chinese core. Their "Da Lai-s" and "Ban Chan-s" were registered and authorized by Chinese Emperors till Qing Dynasty, and then Republic of China inherited Qing's legitimate territory. However, I will not argue this with anyone unless he REALLY knows something of Tibet, because I can't persuade him with his logic and he can't persuade me either. People IN Tibet are not unhappy with their situation at now, they don't ask independence for themselves. So why should other people "demand it for them"? Hey, what about "helping" people in Hawaii, Catalonia and Scotland?(no offense, sorry)

One may keep his view of Chinese history and Chinese situation, as the history and the situation won't change a bit for him.

EDIT: As for those warlords, it's amusing when Churchill make guarantees for them , or boost ideologies in the game. This is completely a fault of the immaturity of the game. A warlord system can be made to cancel their diplomatic options. Their perodical goals should be "become the generalissimo to replace Chiang-KaiShek". Then they can operate as the Republic of China.

Last edited:
Well, you could see my posts in this thread. In mainland China the domestic modern history is a compulsory subject that you must learn, while world history is not. I'm wondering if there is any country would not put emphasis on its domestic history. In the thread I told some of quotes come from history textbook, I don't think these quotes can be written in the books which are used to educate students if the government wants to "deny something".

As for the problem of Tibet(the most representative one), I see Tibet never had independent sovereignity and diplomatic power since 14th century(Yuan Dynasty), therefore it is reasonable to be a Chinese core. Their "Da Lai-s" and "Ban Chan-s" were registered and authorized by Chinese Emperors till Qing Dynasty, and then Republic of China inherited Qing's legitimate territory. However, I will not argue this with anyone unless he REALLY knows something of Tibet, because I can't persuade him with his logic and he can't persuade me either. People IN Tibet are not unhappy with their situation at now, they don't ask independence for themselves. So why should other people "demand it for them"? Hey, what about "helping" people in Hawaii, Catalonia and Scotland?(no offense, sorry)

One may keep his view of Chinese history and Chinese situation, as the history and the situation won't change a bit for him.

As a Chinese, I'd say Tibet did enjoy a de facto independence after 1911 but not a de jure one. Same applies for Mongolia. At least HOI4 should place CHI claims in these regions, if cores are debatable.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.