Hearts of Iron IV removed from Steam in China

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BjornB

★Community Manager★
Paradox Staff
81 Badges
Apr 2, 2012
  • March of the Eagles
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Starvoid
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Since November 1, the Hearts of Iron IV base game has been removed from sale on Steam in China. This is due to a claim that the game does not comply with local law.

We are looking into the issue and we´ll post any updates in this thread.

自11月1号开始钢铁雄心4已经在STEAM中国区被迫下架了。我们收到的原因是钢铁雄心4并未遵守中国国内法律。我们还正在了解确实的状况中。同时如果您有任何问题请在此提出。

FAQ
- Was this a decision made by Paradox? - 这是P社做出的决定吗?

* No, this is due to a claim that the game does not comply with local law. In general, we are obliged to follow local law and regulations in all markets where we operate - 不是。这是因为据称游戏并未遵守当地法律。在通常的情况下在我们进入的市场我们必须遵守各地的国内规范。

- I already own HOI, can I still play the game? - 我已经拥有钢铁雄心4,我还可以继续玩吗?
* As far as we know, this only affects new sales of the HOI4 base game. Existing players are not affected, and all DLC and expansions are still available - 根据我们所了解,下架只影响到新基础游戏的销售,并不影响到已经拥有钢铁雄心4玩家的权益。DLC也并未受到影响。

- What will happen now? - 关于锁区的后续如何?
* We still do not know all the details of this. We are looking into the issue with the relevant parties right now to get a better understanding of the situation - 我们还并未完全了解状况。我们也与各方相关单位联络了解状况中。

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Can I ask which law specifically? IIRC HOI III ran into problems in China too because they portrayed China divided among various warlords while PRC claims that it was just one nation but my memory may be betraying me.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Can I ask which law specifically? IIRC HOI III ran into problems in China too because they portrayed China divided among various warlords while PRC claims that it was just one nation but my memory may be betraying me.

I don't think we know what the exact laws are to be honest.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Lets hope the Chinese don't end up permanently banning the game. Though I don't have too much faith in them not doing it, if this genuinely was the central government putting down the boot.

• 1Like
Reactions:
In 1936, China is in civil war and the amount of warlords are more than we can see in HOI IV. I think CCP may not care about it. Maybe because China has no core in Tibet in HOI. You know CCP is very sensitive in sovereignty, especially when Tibet and Taiwan involved .
By the way, I think any game in which you can change the history and create a totally different world is not welcome in China. In the propaganda of CCP, only they can save Chinese people from the invasion of Japan and the corruption of KMT.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Not quite sure how laws work (will ask about them today), but tbh I'm curious about HOI II since it's still in the store though it's been criticized by some "people in the high place" a few years back then. For now, in fact, both HOI II and III are doing just fine. Idk but if so I can only assume that some HOI IV unique features were going wrong:( cuz this is how the logic works. Otherwise, it's just so weird.

Will they, HOI II and III, be kicked out of the store in China one day? Quite sad to lose them.

Still, always good to know things ASAP.

Last edited:
My guess that the ban is because of Sinkiang and Tibet are being represented as independent states, which is directly against the "Great unification view" the Chinese government have right now

My guess that the ban is because of Sinkiang and Tibet are being represented as independent states, which is directly against the "Great unification view" the Chinese government have right now
Dude as I said, this happened before and Hoi II and III are doing fine on steam, for now. The separatism-ban argument just can't explain why Hoi IV alone has been kicked out, and at this very point. This theory is quite popular back in CN I know, but it's simply inconsistent if so. That's why I asked in the last post.

Dude as I said, this happened before and Hoi II and III are doing fine on steam, for now. The separatism-ban argument just can't explain why Hoi IV alone has been kicked out, and at this very point. This theory is quite popular back in CN I know, but it's simply inconsistent if so. That's why I asked in the last post.
It could also related to some in game events that doesn't match the states view of history and propagander. I for example don't recall HOI IV has a Nanjing massacre event, which is a very sensitive topic that the Chinese government would never tolerate if it's slightly different from the official version.
So for a game that covers the Chinese theater during WWII, and not mention Nanjing massacre definitely no go.

Not quite sure how laws work (will ask about them today), but tbh I'm curious about HOI II since it's still in the store though it's been criticized by some "people in the high place" a few years back then. For now, in fact, both HOI II and III are doing just fine. Idk but if so I can only assume that some HOI IV unique features were going wrong:( cuz this is how the logic works. Otherwise, it's just so weird.

Will they, HOI II and III, be kicked out of the store in China one day? Quite sad to lose them.

@BjornB still thanks a lot for the statement. Always good to know things ASAP.

For HOI II and III, maybe they are just too old and didn't get noticed.
BTW, F**king CPC.

Why China does not have the core of Tibet,The yuan dynasty began in 1271, has been under the rule of China,, the republic of China, under Chinese rule, a place that ruled for hundreds of years without the core
I hope the officials can change it. Thank you Duan 2017.11.03 17:02

Reactions:
Why China does not have the core of Tibet,The yuan dynasty began in 1271, has been under the rule of China,, the republic of China, under Chinese rule, a place that ruled for hundreds of years without the core
I hope the officials can change it. Thank you Duan 2017.11.03 17:02

I tought you can declare a conquest war on Tibet when world tension is high enough, you don't need to have any kind of core.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Since November 1, the Hearts of Iron IV base game has been removed from sale on Steam in China. This is due to a claim that the game does not comply with local law.

We are looking into the issue and we´ll post any updates in this thread.

自11月1号开始钢铁雄心4已经在STEAM中国区被迫下架了。我们收到的原因是钢铁雄心4并未遵守中国国内法律。我们还正在了解确实的状况中。同时如果您有任何问题请在此提出。

FAQ
- Was this a decision made by Paradox? - 这是P社做出的决定吗?

* No, this is due to a claim that the game does not comply with local law. In general, we are obliged to follow local law and regulations in all markets where we operate - 不是。这是因为据称游戏并未遵守当地法律。在通常的情况下在我们进入的市场我们必须遵守各地的国内规范。

- I already own HOI, can I still play the game? - 我已经拥有钢铁雄心4,我还可以继续玩吗?
* As far as we know, this only affects new sales of the HOI4 base game. Existing players are not affected, and all DLC and expansions are still available - 根据我们所了解,下架只影响到新基础游戏的销售,并不影响到已经拥有钢铁雄心4玩家的权益。DLC也并未受到影响。

- What will happen now? - 关于锁区的后续如何?
* We still do not know all the details of this. We are looking into the issue with the relevant parties right now to get a better understanding of the situation - 我们还并未完全了解状况。我们也与各方相关单位联络了解状况中。

PRC and CHI both don't have the cores of tibet and the south part of tibet (india called Arunachal itself) ,its the biggest problem.and XSM etc. is separatist forces in china but not a independent country ,and in fact, CHI should had the core of Mongolia and tuva until 1990s ,you guys should let XSM etc. be a dominion or sth of CHI and develop a guerrilla system. but now steam seems to bow to CCP..

Maybe you could put an option in there like you do for Hitler's picture.

You could put a toggle in. The choice would be available to all of the world, but only one choice for China. Of course, make it so it's easy to turn the toggle on by changing a single word in a line of code...

And if you like my idea, I have names for the toggle options if you like:

Option 1: Wolverine set up.
Option 2: Red Dawn 2012 set up.

(See what I did there?)

And now: let's dance!

10 years ago in hoi2 china has the core in tibet but it has been banned. the government explain the reason is "you can play the facist faction and win the ww2". so i think the reason why hoi4 is banned is not only china dont have core in tibet but also you can play facist faction and win ww2 again

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, actually asking about any reason is not what CCP want from you guys. What it wants is to occasionally remind you who is the big brother, and to shut you up. That's all.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.