• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

zijistark

HIP Lead
58 Badges
Jan 29, 2013
zijistark.com
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Knights of Honor
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
In order to bring the HIP team closer to its players and bring HIP players together, we've just started a Discord server for the HIP community. Discord basically is a very pleasant way to be able to chat with much ease in pasting screenshots, having private group conversations, having channels devoted to voice chat, seeing what games others are playing at that moment, and even stuff like sharing a stream of your game or watching others'. It's IRC on steroids (and 25 years later) aimed directly at gaming communities.

Though the value of joining the HIP Community discord server in no way requires any interest in multiplayer, it's worth noting that it's also the perfect platform for organizing and conducting multiplayer games of HIP.

In particular, I'm most interested in the expanded ability it will give me to collect feedback/opinions on CK2 and HIP and turn those into a better game for all of us. So join up! Just follow this invitation link, which you're free to share with others that may not be reading this but might be interested anyway:

https://discord.gg/fAZzEEh

Last edited:
That's a good idea Ziji. ;)

Why the duck someone is disagreeing with this ??? o_O

Why the duck someone is disagreeing with this ??? o_O
I consider any platform that fails to allow users to quote each other's messages to be quite worthless. Each channel must be limited to only two people and only one conversation, lest it should instantly devolve into a confusing mess in which the thread of any conversation must be deduced from careful scrutiny of all the foregoing comments.

(The workaround of "pinging" the user to whom you're responding works to a very limited extent if many people are engaging in a single conversation, but still doesn't allow multiple conversations in a single channel. The workaround of manually quoting the user to whom you're responding is annoying, and requires readers to trust that you aren't misquoting if they don't want to scroll up and manually find the quoted comment.)

Last edited:
I consider any platform that fails to allow users to quote each other's messages to be quite worthless. Each channel must be limited to only two people and only one conversation, lest it should instantly devolve into a confusing mess in which the thread of any conversation must be deduced from careful scrutiny of all the foregoing comments.

(The workaround of "pinging" the user to whom you're responding works to a very limited extent if many people are engaging in a single conversation, but still doesn't allow multiple conversations in a single channel. The workaround of manually quoting the user to whom you're responding is annoying, and requires readers to trust that you aren't misquoting if they don't want to scroll up and manually find the quoted comment.)

Yeah I see your point. I also don't use Discord very often. Many people find it useful though and we have the choice to use it or not, according to our preferences, right ? ;)

Many people find it useful though and we have the choice to use it or not, according to our preferences, right ? ;)
Also, splitting a community is bad, for both the people who stay with the old platform and the people who move to the new platform (unless one platform is the only repository for content that's forbidden on the other platform).

Also, splitting a community is bad, for both the people who stay with the old platform and the people who move to the new platform (unless one platform is the only repository for content that's forbidden on the other platform).
It's been pretty nice so far. I've definitely enjoyed interacting with players more. These forums can be quite stuffy.

As far as splitting the community, there is no such thing going on. The community is already "split" over several media and does not suffer for it but grows for it.

Regarding threading capabilities, Discord is far from Slack, yes. But Slack requires me to individually invite all of you via email addresses for an unpaid account. So, great for the HIP team with its in-line threading and various other innovations, but it's not well-suited to a gamer-oriented Slack-alike on a budget. Further, a ton of people already use Discord for this purpose, so it's less shit to install on net.

We've had zero issues of conversations being lost due to lack of threading. Maybe, instead of marking every single one of my posts in this thread with a Disagree, you could've been directly aggressive against us starting a HIP Community discord server. But hey, whatever.

As far as splitting the community, there is no such thing going on. The community is already "split" over several media and does not suffer for it but grows for it.
(S)plitting a community is bad[...] (unless one platform is the only repository for content that's forbidden on the other platform)
---
Regarding threading capabilities, Discord is far from Slack, yes.
I'm not acquainted with Slack. I was thinking primarily of this forum, Reddit, and 4chan (and other sites built on identical (e.g., XenForo) or similar (e.g., Infinity Next) software) as examples of conversation platforms superior to Discord.
---
We've had zero issues of conversations being lost due to lack of threading.
I experienced many such issues when I tried using Discord for conversation, months ago. I gave up on it pretty quickly for any purpose except sharing images.
---
Maybe, instead of marking every single one of my posts in this thread with a Disagree, you could've been directly aggressive against us starting a HIP Community discord server.
I didn't see any point in making an unprovoked non-CK2-modding-related comment on a CK2 modding forum when I obviously was in a minuscule minority. (Evidence: the widespread popularity of Discord, which I find totally inexplicable; also, one downvote vs. eleven upvotes on the OP at the time of this comment.)

On one side of the scales, the sentiment expressed in the first sentence of my signature--on the other side, fear of moderators...

Last edited:

[ RE: Splitting a community non-comment, since quoting is so annoying on this platform. ]

What content is forbidden or not? What are you implying? Or are you implying nothing with your link to the ParadoxPlaza Rules of Conduct? [It's possible, I guess.] Please, if you observe any violations, report that we have a Discord server to a moderator. Paradox's position on 3rd-party forums, under which Discord would fall (though the way you communicate on Discord or any other real-time application is not very much like traditional web forums), has been explicitly reversed, and we're in violation of no forum rules. Distribution of HIP is exclusive to ParadoxPlaza.

[ RE: Alleged passive aggressiveness of Disagreeing with all my posts instead of just making a point. ]

Well, whatever works for you. You ended up making your points [sort of] anyway. FWIW, I certainly never call moderators down upon people in this forum, but yes, they do read it, and I can't see how you'd have anything to fear from more or less saying "Discord is not my style."

I experienced many such issues when I tried using Discord for conversation, months ago. I gave up on it pretty quickly for any purpose except sharing images.

That may become the case if the Discord ever becomes particularly high traffic, but it's serving just fine now at the very comfortable current activity level. I do agree, though. Why Discord doesn't have a simple threading feature (e.g., like Slack, which admittedly is the market leader in this kind of real-time-yet-async application) is beyond me. There are several ways to refer to past posts easily and concisely in Slack; Discord sucks at that for high traffic channels or really any time when you want to have a [possibly very] long-term conversation. But that's where the traditional forum shines, which has obviously not been abandoned, so I don't really see a problem.

since quoting is so annoying on this platform
What? I find quoting on this (XenForo) platform quite delicious. Just highlight a passage, click the "Reply" pop-up, and watch the text magically appear in your text-input area, complete with a link to the quoted comment!
What content is forbidden or not? What are you implying? Or are you implying nothing with your link to the ParadoxPlaza Rules of Conduct?
I should have used a link to the modding rules, as a reference to certain mods that, having been forbidden from appearing on this forum, must appear elsewhere. Weirdly, it seems to have been removed from the list of stickied threads in the main CK2 modding forum.

What? I find quoting on this (XenForo) platform quite delicious. Just highlight a passage, click the "Reply" pop-up, and watch the text magically appear in your text-input area, complete with a link to the quoted comment!

I was referring to the fact that quoting quotes (providing context, such as I couldn't easily with your response that was only quotes and "---") is lame on XenForo. And most places.

I should have used a link to the modding rules, as a reference to certain mods that, having been forbidden from appearing on this forum, must appear elsewhere. Weirdly, it seems to have been removed from the list of stickied threads in the main CK2 modding forum.

OK, so it's a link to the modding rules now. Again, all the same questions from the top: what's the relevancy here?

I was referring to the fact that quoting quotes (providing context, such as I couldn't easily with your response that was only quotes and "---") is lame on XenForo.
Well, I wouldn't say that. It's just a little bit of copying and pasting, and the ability to go directly to comment B that was quoted by comment A, rather than having to scroll up and find comment B manually, makes it a lot easier. I make nested quotes with some regularity (example).
OK, so it's a link to the modding rules now. Again, all the same questions from the top: what's the relevancy here?
The obvious good reason to split the community is to accommodate mods that are forbidden here--and HIP isn't forbidden, so making a separate community for it is unnecessary.

Last edited:
The obvious good reason to split the community is to accommodate mods that are forbidden here--and HIP isn't forbidden, so making a separate community for it is unnecessary.
Discord fulfills a different community demand and different community audience. I'd say the only overlap is some chatting about submodding help and, of course, pasting screenshots in there. Real-time chat is a much easier way for me to keep pulse on what matters to people than these forums, although both matter. Second, it's a straight shot to HIP multiplayer game organization and facilitation, and for me, it means I can finally logout of Steam chat permanently (!), since the only reason I ever am logged into Steam is to keep in contact with people in this community.

Further, being a member of the community Discord server hardly prevents one from using these forums.

I sense a false dichotomy here.

1. Given the fact that HIP download link is made available only in the HIP subforum inside the User Modifications subforum + HIP has not allowed third-party downloads, all HIP users should already have access to the forums
1a. There have been instances of third-party downloads without consent (there still probably is, particularly in Russian-speaking communities), but those people are very likely to be unable to access the User Modifications subforum to begin with, hence not a part of the "regular" HIP community to begin with -- think about why they need to download from a third-party download in the first place. :p
2. People who post on forums like this are most likely people who have reasons to post - for example, bug reports, showing off their achievements with fancy screenshots and tales, making suggestions, etc. -- many of which can be conveyed more effectively in the forum medium.
2a. People who find the forum medium to be an inhibitor to conversation may find Discord friendly.
2b. As an example, if there are more bug reports as a result, then isn't that a good thing?

So I'm not sure where the fear is coming from, but can I take your fear of dividing the community as a sign of love for HIP, Toa Kraka? :)