• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #72 - Reflections of a Dynasty

Hello, everyone!

I'm IsakMiller and I'm a Content Designer on CK2. While I did a brief stint on EU4's Rights of Man, I've been working on CK2 for almost two years now. Also, long time reader, first time poster (after some encouragement from my lovely team) here. Without further ado, I am here to tell you about a feature I'm really excited for you all to get your hands on: the decision to Compose a Book.

Imagine your ruler growing up, educating themselves... Learning the ways of the world, finding their own place in it -- and never being able to tell future generations about it? No more will this plague you, my friend! While it requires something of a scholarly mind, and a character’s skills will affect the topics available, owners of Jade Dragon will soon be able to invest their resources (and time!) in the creation of a literary work.
Initial event.png

Along the path of this endeavor, you might also be faced with a choice, such as this one:
Progress event.png

If all goes well, your scribes will at the end of it all present you with the finished work, which goes straight to your Treasury for safe-keeping -- this way, your descendants might also be able to draw on your experiences. Lucky bastards (maybe literally)!
Final event.png

I recommend choosing a subject worthy of your dedication, as there are different outcomes and works available, depending on where your skills and interests lie -- your scribes will of course strive to meet your vision, but also to emulate your wisdom (or lack thereof). Not to mention how draining it can be to actually compose something of magnitude, and your character is likely to feel "Uninspired" for some time afterwards...
Treasury, two books.png

All in all, there are almost a hundred different books you can produce. The majority of them are intended to blend in with the theme of your character (such as Speculum Regale, or the Confessions of Saint Augustine), while others might make you wonder what goes on in your character's mind when you're not looking...

On a personal note, I always want to give the artifact system more love, so I'm happy I was able to work on this -- my hope is that each book will be something of a family heirloom, for any player, in any play-through. I imagine it should go nicely next to the skull of your rival, and the Magnum Opus on Astrology that your grandfather wrote.

Thank you for your time.

Peony_flower.jpg

Is this DLC or patch content?

I really like the idea of giving more love to the artifacts - and even more so, on the option to make them somehow unique. Otherwise I would be afraid of ending up with 3 of the same books, which then would result in my lacking interest.

Can you tell more of the cost, of making such a book? Would it be something rare, like it would cost a fortune, and require a learning stat of minimum 15?

And I guess that it will only fire for specific cultures, on specific eras? I doubt that Pagans will be able to make a book...

Great to see the artifact system getting some love! And books are indeed a great addition for this.

Just wondering though; are there any mechanics in JD or planned for the future to balance all the bonusses we get from artifacts?

Because once the game progresses a few generations the player's treasury provides a big cushion to any sub-par rulers, and makes average rulers great rulers. This makes the game somewhat more stale in my opinion, since (although sometimes keyboard breaking annoying) a bad ruler forces us to use different tactics and accept that no realm prospers forever.

The book you have shown is quality 4. So, is it similar with magnum opi in that if I inherited a magnum level 2 and I write on the same topic as a more competent character, the book is going to be overwritten?

And just to make sure- the bonuses are scalable the same way as with magnum opi?

Can you tell more of the cost, of making such a book? Would it be something rare, like it would cost a fortune, and require a learning stat of minimum 15?

While not a fortune (in my opinion) the cost is not going to be cheap... And to write any book at all, you will require a Learning stat of 8, to be specific. However, if you choose to take the route of a religious text, your Learning will also play a part in the final quality. :)

The book you have shown is quality 4. So, is it similar with magnum opi in that if I inherited a magnum level 2 and I write on the same topic as a more competent character, the book is going to be overwritten?

And just to make sure- the bonuses are scalable the same way as with magnum opi?

The books actually are not unique, to avoid dealing with overwriting. This means that on the off chance that your character happens to be responsible for the creation of a book that already existed in your Treasury, there will simply be two copies. However, script-wise, many will use a sort of dynamic naming system, writing out titles along the lines of "The Life of King Leopold II", making the next version of it be "The Life of Queen Mary" rather than the exact same title. I'm hoping that this will allow most books to still have a unique feel to them.

Effect-wise, any individual artifact is generally speaking only available in one quality. As shown here, the Speculum Regale will always be quality 4, for instance. That said, there are some exceptions.

Tempted to start my next dynasty with a high learning lunatic or possessed character now.

Only rulers can Compose? Or is it possible for a high-skilled Lowborn courtier?

While not a fortune (in my opinion) the cost is not going to be cheap... And to write any book at all, you will require a Learning stat of 8, to be specific. However, if you choose to take the route of a religious text, your Learning will also play a part in the final quality. :)

The books actually are not unique, to avoid dealing with overwriting. This means that on the off chance that your character happens to be responsible for the creation of a book that already existed in your Treasury, there will simply be two copies. However, script-wise, many will use a sort of dynamic naming system, writing out titles along the lines of "The Life of King Leopold II", making the next version of it be "The Life of Queen Mary" rather than the exact same title. I'm hoping that this will allow most books to still have a unique feel to them.

Effect-wise, any individual artifact is generally speaking only available in one quality. As shown here, the Speculum Regale will always be quality 4, for instance. That said, there are some exceptions.
Are you saying in regards to "the life of x" that x will refer to an actual ancestor in game?

I love every RPG addition that adds immersion, however small. Good job!

Can we have dynamic Artifact naming in the future? To name our books and weapons would be truly amazing.

Last edited: