• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

3ishop

General
8 Badges
Jan 25, 2015
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
So second time trying to post it as browser crashed, so going to be a bit shorter this time due to annoyance.

So these are my suggestions to try and address the issues of doomstacks, lack of other uses, lack of depth and limited use of the ideas and buildings.
  1. Ship Types
    • Add historic ships for different tech groups, they shouldn't all use European ships. Then additional events can be added and maybe another use for trade companies, sell ships and protectorates would have more use.
    • Step away from just 4 ships at a time, each new ship is a direct upgrade over the previous which isn't the case. Some should be replaced but they should also be cost benefits of ships. E.g. going from a two decker to three decker, three should have more power and sailors but should be slower and cost more.
  2. Lack of use
    • With additional ship units we could add bomb ketches and later Rocket ships. These would have low fire and shock but be fast and during naval sieges would give +1 and +2 cannon values.
    • Addition of pirates, some events triggering historic ones to spawn that have to be hunted down would be a nice addition and side game. If you defeat the fleet it triggers the choice of pardon for service, giving you a leader + some of his loot, execute giving + 1dip rep for a few years or buy his pardon for large cash (and chance he will sail again!)
    • Increased smuggling. If each node has a smuggling chance vs the amount of naval patrols in the area. If you stop it you gain naval tradition from the ships working. If you don't it should give some benefits, reduce war exhaustion and give forts a small defence bonus to show the locals ability to sneak food and weapons in.
  3. Doomstacks
    • First keep the naval combat width but change it so that ship speed impacts how many can be in combat at once. This way you can show lighter ships of each class being used in larger numbers to threaten big ships.
    • Addition of naval supply. Total sailors per ship uses up supply. Too much supply ship takes additional attrition and at higher levels combat penalty to speed (too many ships make it harder to navigate) Supply is provided by the development and buildings of "friendly" provinces in trade range. Friendly includes allies and those you have fleet basing rights.
  4. Other tweaks
    • Ability to drill the navy like the army giving naval tradition.
    • Would also add the old Admiralty building back but as an upgrade for the Drydock.
    • Addition of Flagships. Could also allow a new type of project and cash sink. Could give benefits of +Naval tradition, + prestiege, + naval profesionalism.
    • Make blockades remove all the benefits to trade of coastal. Would also suggest % of development blockaded applied to trade efficiency, each 2% of development blockaded drops TE by 1%. Simulates main route being by sea and now the province having to send it's goods via road which causes loss of goods and increased cost.

I do worry that the combat changes might make Admirals become the winner...but then again it sort of is the same for armies & leaders.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The problem of naval supply will be how the AI uses it. Though I myself have suggested similar. I like the ideas for combat

The problem of naval supply will be how the AI uses it. Though I myself have suggested similar. I like the ideas for combat
My hope is that it would just not stack fleets in the zone AND makes them building all the docks and harbours have some use :p