• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Prelude

dark_melancholy

First Lieutenant
40 Badges
Jul 21, 2006
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Magicka
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
Prelude: The Heart of Darkness
A318oa8.png

Rumoured to be ancient servants of the Old Ones, descendants of fierce Norse warrior women and more, the mighty Amazons live in scattered tribes across the jungle continent of Lustria. As warlike as the tales would have it, they live to make war and sacrifice their enemies to Rigg, their berserker goddess of war.

Foreign invaders speak of a people where there are no men. This is not surprising, as they invariably only meet the Amazons on the battlefield. In fact, Amazons are born into both sexes just like in the Old World. However, no self-respecting Amazon Matriarch would drag her weak males into combat. Instead, the menfolk are kept safe and secure under the watchful guard of the shieldmaidens. There they engage in menial tasks more suited to their constitution and intellect. And, of course, they may aspire to the greatest honour a man can earn: participating in the Serena Ritual, the great feast to the goddess of fertility – the one time of the year Amazon women are permitted to lay with their menfolk.

Unknown to most outsiders, the Queen of the Amazons rules from the ancient city of Genaina. This Old One ruin lies on Amazon Island at the mouth of the mighty Amaxon River and ought to be the beating heart of their civilization. However, as darkness encroaches upon Lustria, the tribes drift apart and villages lose contact with each other, leaving them open to predation by lizardmen, Miyan and... external evils.

HiXpnFx.jpg

Amazon Island with the capital city of Ganaina, in white

In 1997, by the Imperial Reckoning, centuries of Old World encroachment come to a head when Tilean adventurers invade and enslave dozens of villages around the mouth of the Amaxon and the outlying islands. With no time to raise her armies, the Amazon Queen Thalestris engages the invaders accompanied by no more than her small bodyguard. They manage to drive the interlopers away, but the queen pays for it with her life. Satisfied with their bounty, the Tileans happily return with their slaves to the Old World.

Those of weak will proclaim that The End is here. The Throne of Rigg will surely crumble before the great goddess can return to reclaim it. However, where some see doom, others see opportunity. One of these is a proud Amazon noblewoman: Lyssa of the Anakonda clan. Ostensibly to save her people, the young woman embarks upon a quest to unite the Amazon tribes.

ey7sIKV.jpg

Nearly three years after she set out on her mission, Lyssa is crowned Queen of the Amazons at the Temple of Karra in Ganaina, in the year 2000. Over the next decade, through inspiring words, cunning and boldness she unites the Amazon villages of Amaxon Bay under her rule. However, this is but a sliver of the mighty jungles of Lustria...

pwPHvT3.png

Northern Lustria in 2010, with Amazonia in green on the northern coast. At the northern edge of the map is Ulthuan, ancestral home of the elves. Across the Great Ocean to the east lies the Old World of vile and greedy men

By the year 2010, the Amazons of the Tarantula Coast to the east still have not heeded Queen Lyssa's call. Other independent tribes are scattered along the length of the Amaxon River and elsewhere: The Jaguar clan of Tunsuca, halfway up the Amaxon – who worship Serena, the serpent goddess of fertility, above other gods. The Amazons of the Qurveza river, far to the south – who command strong magic and rule over diminutive Miyan in harmony.

Deeper in the jungle, inscrutable lizardmen cling to their ancient cities. Along the northern coast and elsewhere, Miyan halflings hold no love for the Amazons and dedicate themselves to their ravenous and bloodthirsty deity.

More disconcerting, foreigners have taken control of the islands off the coast of Lyssa's new realm. Tilean pirates roam free from their ports on Xocbiki, Tabazco and the Island of Sacrifices – known as the Triad; Kavana in the Amazon tongue. On the island of Tecnotica – the one which ignorant Old Worlders call 'Columbo's Island' – a foul undead beast holds sway. Already 30 years old, the queen's work has only just begun... will she be up to the task?

9DUffY6.jpg

Queen Lyssa, ten years after her coronation. She is more of a lover than a fighter...

Encyclopedia Amazonia
A brief overview of places and characters in this AAR. The cast list has been arranged by year, so you can avoid spoilers. Click the Spoiler buttons below to view.
Lustria
The southern continent in the New World. A near-impenetrable jungle whose fabled lost cities have lured many an adventurer to their doom. Here the Lizardmen live in the shadows of the Old Ones' crumbling temple-cities, defending them against anyone who dare trespass. Scattered tribes of warlike Amazons and cannibalistic Miyan halflings also worship the Old Ones in their own ways. Large rivers like the Amaxon and Qurveza rivers cut through the jungle, but the fickle currents and dangerous beasts that dwell in them can make these expressways just as deadly as the jungle.

Ulthuan
Lying midway between the Old and New world, the island of Ulthuan is home to the High Elf Kingdom. They mostly stay aloof to the affairs of lesser races.

Naggaroth
An icy wasteland in the northern part of the New World, ruled over by the exiled Dark Elves and their Witch King while they plot to conquer Ulthuan once and for all.

The Old World
A strange land far to the east of Lustria, where men rule as kings and emperors (so so many emperors!)

Temple-Cities
Lustria is home to the wondrous cities of the Old Ones. Most of them have been destroyed, but the lizardmen still live in their shadows. Those that remain intact, deep within the jungle, are independent realms in their own right. In addition to mighty cities like Itza and Tlaxtlan, many lesser lizardman domains exists as well. The lizardmen and their slann masters might all serve the Old Ones, but they often disagree, creating a patchwork of rival states.

Amazonia
Centred around Amazon Island and the capital of Genaina (Ganaina in this mod and AAR), the Amazon realm is a loose collection of tribes ruled by matriarchs who in turn swear fealty to the Queen of Amazonia. She rules from Ganaina as custodian of Rigg's throne, waiting for the day when the great goddess will return and lead the Amazons to glory.

Ganaina
The capital of Amazonia and home to the royal palace and the grand temple that holds Rigg's Shrine. Once an Old Ones city, it is by far the largest settlement in the realm.

Nalixo
Traditionally ruled by the Anakonda clan, the Nalixo domain commands the right bank of the Amaxon. This and its proximity to Ganaina makes it one of the most influential realms.

Tetla and Cuauhlotl
Ruled by the Xenara and Pythona clans respectively, these domains accepted Lyssa as their ruler even before she was crowned queen. They are more remote than the other domains but produces many hardy warriors.

Mamazo
Traditionally ruled by the illustrious Pantheros clan. Like Nalixo it is close to Ganaina which has made its rulers influential in the capital.

Quetzlpan
A name for all the outlying islands that surround Amaxon Bay, this domain has little prestige compared to the others. United by the Toucana clan into one domain, its warriors have gained great renown for their bravery and skill with the war canoe.

Kavana
Variously known as the Three Spirits, Triad Islands, Three Islands, this domain was depopulated by slavers and taken over by pirates led by Pirate Queen Elena Marle. What few Amazons remain have fled into the deepest jungles.

Tecnotica
Known as Colombo's Island to the invaders from the Old World, the Amazons here have been enslaved by a vile vampire.

Starting cast
Lyssa Anakonda - Queen of the Amazons. Rose to power during the interregnum following the death of Queen Thalestris in the Great Raid.

Maya Anakonda - Lyssa's oldest daughter. Spoiled and self-indulgent, she is not like most Amazons.

Inanna Anakonda - Quick to anger and slow to think, Inanna's only passion is hitting things in the head with a big club.

Phaedra Anakonda - As the youngest of the three royal siblings, Phaedra has a strong desire to prove herself.

Calypso Toucana - The Matriarch of the Quetzlpan archipelago. Called the "Jaguar of the Sea" she is a formidable warrior.

Belyse Pantheros - Matriarch of Mamazo. Loves drinking even more than she does grabbing wealth and power for herself.

Tisiphone Xenara - Matriarch of Tetla. One of the first to swear fealty to Queen Lyssa, Tisiphone has become disillusioned with her rule.

Concordia Pythona - Matriarch of Cuauhlotl. She believes Amazons should be temperate and avoid excess. Thus she not a fan of Lyssa.

Harmothoe - Chief Priestess of Rigg's Shrine and therefore head of the Amazon Sisterhood. A warmonger first, holy woman second.

Louis - The ancient vampire lord of Technotica. Driven away, but an evil presence lingers on the island still...

Elena Marles - Pirate Queen of Tresislas, three holy islands conquered from the Amazons after the Great Raid.

Charles LeChuck - "Vampire King" of the sunken city of Zarmuda, known to Old Worlders as Monkeigh Island. Defeated by Elena Marles, but managed to escape, no doubt plotting his revenge.

New faces (2010-2029)
Quiauhxochuatzin - "Quihuatzin" for short. At first glance merely a humble halfling slave, captured when the Amazons conquered her home. Ambition and intelligence burn brightly in her eyes, however.

Fak Anakonda - Smart, beautiful and strong... but unfortunately a male and thus simply a great disappointment to Lyssa, his mother.

Azu (the Elder) - Once steward to Concordia, Azu switched allegiance to queen Lyssa when her mistress became ill and died.

Azu (the Younger) - Even more talented than her mother Azu the Elder, she becomes an important part of Lyssa's ruling council.

Kriemhild - A promising member of Lyssa's bodyguard who has a lot more tactical acumen than she first lets on.

Cassiopeia - An intensely suspicious and perpetually worried woman, she takes over as the queen's spymaster.

New horizons (2030-2039)

Tanya - Succeeds Harmothoe as Chief Priestess and is infinitely more cooperative. She is also one of the wisest women in the Sisterhood.

Anumeha - An Amazon noblewoman who gets a bit too honest when she drinks. It takes a decade or so for Lyssa to forget her insults.

Valli - Becomes spymaster after Cassiopeia is murdered when she discovers a plot orchestrated by Louis of Technotica. Not very noteworthy, Lyssa can barely remember her name...

Calypso II Toucana - Becomes Matriarch of Quetzlpan when her mother is killed in battle. A woman of great battle prowess and great appetites like her mother.

Kåre Anakonda - Inanna's first child and a crushing disappointment what with the pressure Lyssa is putting on her to sire an heir. He is quickly sacrificed to the gods.

Ixchel - A member of Inanna's bodyguard who consoles her mistress after Lyssa disappears. The two become lovers.

Parthenia the Wicked - Independent matriarch of Teuninochacal. She fights a merciless war against Lyssa, one that costs Calypso Toucana her life.

New generations (2040-2050)
Olariche - Becomes spymaster during the regency. Rewarded with Fort Xocibiki, she becomes a close ally of Azu and Azu.

Valesca - Captain of the queen's bodyguard.

Andre - Leader of a cult of Amazon males revering the cruel god of the deep: Stromfels. He lead a massive uprising of the male population of Kavana.

Tiziana - An aspiring pirate who had the misfortune of arriving in Lustria just before Lyssa expelled the pirates from Kavana. Enslaved she was put to use as an interpreter and later became involved in trade between Amazons and foreigners.

Melandra Pantheros - Matriarch of Mamazo. Oldest daughter of Belyse Pantheros. Inherited her mother's realm, hedonism and desire to get a fancier title.

Tisiphone II Xenara - Matriarch of Tetla. Just a child when her mother dies, but still continues the Xenara tradition of scheming against Queen Lyssa.

Pragya - Chosen to administrate one of the Kavana islands, she desires to become a matriarch but is too timid to openly challenge the queen.

Coatopoxt - Being from a noble family counts for little when you're a halfling in Amazonia. However, Azu the Younger recognized her intelligence and managed to get her inducted into the Amazon Sisterhood.

Table of Contents
Introduction (OOC and gameplay info)
Chapter 1: The Jaguar of the Sea (2013)
Chapter 2: For the Glory of Rigg (2014)
Chapter 3: Roused to Greatness (2015)
Chapter 4: Unity by the Grace of Rigg (2015)
Chapter 5: Rite of Passage (2016)
Chapter 6: Decadence and Dynasty (2017-2018)
Chapter 7: Tapestry of Treason (2018-2019)
Chapter 8: The Queen's Trial (2019)
Chapter 9: Prosperity through Procrastination (2019-2021)
Chapter 10: The Drowned (2021)
Chapter 11: A Taste for Conquest (2021-2022)
Chapter 12: Rigg Wills It (2022)
Chapter 13: Revere the Queen, Expel the Pirates (2023)
Chapter 14: Closing the Circle (2023-2024)
Chapter 15: Root and Branch (2025)
Chapter 16: The Circle of Death (2025)
Chapter 17: One's Due (2026)
Chapter 18: A Whole Wide World (2026)
Chapter 19: Anchor (2026)
Chapter 20: Fire and Ice (2026-2027)
Chapter 21: Foreign Bounty (2027-2028)
Chapter 22: An Unexpected Welcome (2029)
Chapter 23: Forgotten No More (2029)
Chapter 24: An Abundant Display (2029-2030)
Chapter 25: A Worthy Foe? (2030)
Chapter 26: The Wind of Righteousness (2030-2031)
Chapter 27: The City of Ghosts (2032)
Chapter 28: Brought to a Close (2033)
Chapter 29: Torpor (2033-2034)
Chapter 30: The Empty Throne (2034-2036)
Chapter 31: Upheaval (2036-2039)
Chapter 32: A Confluence of Conspiracy (2039)
Chapter 33: The Mighty Amaxon Provides (2039)
Chapter 34: Legacy of the Old Ones (2039)
Chapter 35: The Apple (2039)
Chapter 36: In Deep (2040)
Chapter 37: Treading Familiar Ground (2040-2041)
Chapter 38: The City of Echoes (2041)
Chapter 39: Put Down (2041-2042)
Chapter 40: Mother of the Realm (2042)
Chapter 41: Blood on the Water (2042)
Chapter 42: Rigg's Mercy (2042)
Chapter 43: Pleasures of Persuasion (2042-2043)
Chapter 44: On Oppressive Ground (2043)
Chapter 45: The Next Generation (2044)
Chapter 46: Due Consideration (2044)
Chapter 47: Internal Conflict (2044)
Chapter 48: Defiance (2044)
Chapter 49: Blessing of the Old Ones (2044)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I'm VERY interested in this. I've tried the Amazons out, and it always seemed limited in what you could do with them (at least in previous versions of the game). Definitely going to sub here.

Well this looks like a fine idea.

Great concept. Nice start. Personally, I wouldn't mind being a lost explorer in the jungle assuming kindness would be bestowed upon me once contact was made. :p

Looking forward to more. Should be fun.
Cheers!

Introduction (OOC & Introduction)
Introduction
Thank you all for the kind replies! It's been a while, but CK2 has sucked me back in. I've had this mod sitting around for a long time, and just wanted to give it a go. After being confused by all the new concepts for a while, I was fascinated by the depth of the mod and how the leader I had ended up with didn't seem like a typical Amazon.

Warhammer Amazons seem to have gotten different and contradictory treatments over the years. As far as I can tell their original incarnation was rooted in lore that has since been retconned out. As such I'll endeavour to portray the Amazons according to how they're realized in the mod. That means they won't be woman-only immortals. The jury's still out on the lasguns...

I'll be playing an old version of the game and the mod for save game compatibility reasons. Hopefully it won't negatively impact the experience. Warhammer: Geheimnisnacht is the only mod I'll be using. All DLC up to and including Way of Life are in operation, except Sunset Invasion (if anyone invades Not!Europe it'll be us!) and Horse Lords (not sure if that has any impact. We ride jaguars and lizards anyway...)

For those who are unfamilar with the Amazons in the mod, here's a quick rundown
- Tribal government (never tried this)
- No marriage (this has been the hardest thing to get used to for me!)
- All the men are basically imprisoned and can't have any jobs or titles
- They can raid and declare flower wars to capture sacrifices (for the glory of Rigg!)

I'll try to explain lore things as I go. If anything is confusing or you think I should explain more general Warhammer universe lore, let me know!

A novel idea to play both in the new world and not as the Amazons. subbed
Are you insinuating that Lyssa is not a proper Amazon? :D

I'm VERY interested in this. I've tried the Amazons out, and it always seemed limited in what you could do with them (at least in previous versions of the game). Definitely going to sub here.
I will endeavour to try and make it interesting, even if I'm still on an old version! Thanks!

Well this looks like a fine idea.
Thank you for the vote of confidence. Time will tell!

Great concept. Nice start. Personally, I wouldn't mind being a lost explorer in the jungle assuming kindness would be bestowed upon me once contact was made. :p

Looking forward to more. Should be fun.
Cheers!
I can assure you that you will be shown the kindness of a well-protected stockade and later being sacrificed on Rigg's altar! Truly an honour!

I'm excited for more!
I'll endeavour to do something like weekly updates. First proper chapter coming soon!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 1
Chapter 1: The Jaguar of the Sea

FUpZGOx.jpg

The normally boisterous court of Queen Lyssa of the Amazons falls quiet. The young nobles and totem warriors that form the queen's inner circle gather around and mutter amongst each other as the unexpected guest arrives with her entourage. The ceremonial armour she wears reveals firm abs that echo her reputation for toughness. Matriarch Calypso of the Northern Islands marches with decisive steps, the crowd deferentially giving way for her. Commanding the strongest fleet of any Amazon leader, the hook-nosed woman is a renowned raider and holds power to rival that of Queen Lyssa herself.

“They say she is the greatest commander of this generation,” the onlookers whisper in reverent tones. “Has she come to raid Amazon Island itself?” others wonder in awe at the sheer audacity.

The crowd parts and before the Matriarch is revealed the queen herself. While her features are elegant and almost delicate compared to her visitor, lithe and hard muscles on her bare arms dispel any doubt that the ruler is merely a beautiful flower. Clad in a flowing, white dress and carrying the royal headdress bearing the Eye of Rigg on her head, the queen lounges languidly in her throne.

Lyssa offers the proud warrior a winning smile: “The Jaguar of the Sea! To what do I owe this pleasure?”

The black tattoo that makes Calypso's mouth seem like great maw crook into a smirk as she cannot help but be flattered by the queen's praise. Recalling her mission, she hardens her mien and says firmly: “Infidels and abominations stalk our lands, bringing with them disease and acting like an open invitation for foreigners to defile our holy places. I have heard of your exploits, but it has been fifteen years since the assassination of Queen Thalestris and still the unworthy squat on our land. Has the great queen grown soft and pampered, content to merely feast and drink in her great hall?”

Around her the room is filled with shocked gasps at the matriarch's outrageous words. Women on both sides reach for their weapons and look to the queen to gauge her reaction.

Lyssa lazily taps her cheek, observing her rude guest calmly. Meeting the insult with a smile, she chuckles: “And here I thought there was no greater gourmand among our people than Calypso of Quetzlpan! Alas, it seems none of my chefs can match yours...” The queen winks, then sits upright on her throne: “With that in mind, I would not be averse to lend you my aid. What is your proposal?”

Surprised by the queen's reversal, Calypso tries to figure out if she was just insulted back or flattered. Giving up, she takes a breath and returns to her plan: “On the island of Tecnotica, an undead creature has subjugated my people. It calls itself a 'Necrarch' and commands dread magic, bringing back the bodies of fallen shieldmaidens to defend its lair. If you are truly the queen you claim to be, you will help free my tribesmen from this beast!”​

25IgnWu.jpg
Tecnotica in blue, on the Tarantula Coast at the edge of Amazonia

“Matriarch Calypso,” the queen says thoughtfully. “The tales of your exploits are legendary. I hear you have brought your raiders east and west – that you have even set foot in the ruins of Zarmuda. I would happily join my warband to yours and destroy this disgusting tick!”

Calypso seems to consider the queen for a moment, before nodding: “If you are true to your word I will gladly follow you as my queen.”

“Your ships will certainly be of great use...” Lyssa muses, her mind already racing with the possibilities this opens up. “Now! Let us celebrate our future victories with a feast.” She leans forward on her throne with a devious smile: “Perhaps my kitchens can satisfy the great Jaguar of the Sea after all!”​

vd7FMLd.jpg

* * *​

In late 2012, Queen Lyssa gathers the strongest matriarchs of the Amaxon Bay Amazons, asking them to fight under her banner to drive out the those that stain Amazon lands.

Foremost among them is Calypso of the Toucana clan, Princess of the Northern Islands by virtue of her strong fleet. In addition to Olquetzchihuitl on the Tarantula Coast, she also holds dominion over the islands of Yukka and Quetzl, together known as Quetzlpan – “the Land Rising from the Sea”. She is rightfully proud of her power, but jovial and lavish about it rather than overbearing.

There is also chieftess Belyse of Mamazo on the western shore of the bay, who reluctantly agrees in hope of easy plunder and greater status for little effort. Tisphone of Tetla considers herself – perhaps with some justification – a much better leader than Queen Lyssa and simply sees an opportunity to come one step closer to taking over the throne. Finally, the paranoid Concordia of the Pythona clan has so far rebuffed the queen, but now heeds Lyssa's call in order to protect her small tribe against the danger the foreigners pose.

KslseBn.jpg
The Matriarchs under Queen Lyssa's rule

Carried on Calypso's ships, the Amazon warhost lands on the shores of Tecnotica. Catching the foul vampire off guard, Lyssa's forces smash through its hastily summoned undead horrors. The shambling horde is greatly outnumbered by the living – and rather than be frightened, the Amazon warriors are emboldened by the queen's insistence that they free their departed sisters from their torment.

Louis the Necrarch watches his minions crumble before the might of the Amazon army from his mountain spire vantage point. Reasoning that the centuries worth of knowledge and research he has accumulated is more important than some temporal domain, the vampire calmly decides to turn tail and flee.

LiY0Sbb.jpg

* * *​

Over the last months, the Amazons had scoured the island, destroying every reminder of its former undead overlord. Defiled holy places had been restored, the dead properly buried and incantations made to prevent them rising again. Now, a small Amazon warband stands resolutely among the jungle trees – and undergrowth that nearly obscures a small fissure in a verdant cliff face.

“We are certain the beast itself has fled into these caves, your highness.” Tatiana is a very muscular woman, even for an Amazon, and the vengeful commander is almost quivering with bloodlust now. “We will follow your lead and pursue it to its destruction!”

Leaning back on her palanquin, the queen seems to consider the unassuming crack in the rock. Even a slender huntress would struggle to slip inside, much less a host of burly Amazon jaguar warriors.

“The locals say these caves run for miles under this mountain,” the queen says patiently. “We can barely squeeze through one by one in the dark. Getting lost in a labyrinth is no fitting end for a proud warrior. The creature will undoubtedly lure us all into traps, picking off one after the other...”

Lyssa observes the doubt in her commander's face. This queen will not end up like Queen Thalestris, leaving the Amazon tribes in chaos and ripe for invasion and enslavement. Short-sighted and short-tempered as she is, Tatiana might see this as cowardice – but is it not more cowardly to sacrifice one's people on the altar of glory? Besides, the campaign had kept her away from her palace for months... Here one cannot find a comfy feather bed – and no beautiful males, eager to please, waiting in it. Lyssa sighs at the thought, before fixing Tatiana with a firm look: “I will not allow my warriors to throw their lives away when there are bigger battles yet to be fought. Infidels still hold a dagger to our heart, occupying on the Triad Islands.”

Seeing the begrudging agreement in Tatiana's eyes, the queen turns to the priestess in her entourage: “Harmothoe, consecrate the area around this entrance and leave a warning that even this foul beast will understand: If it leaves its pitiful hole in the ground, Queen Lyssa of the Amazons will slay it with her own bare hands!”​

* * *​

Despite her people's misgivings, Queen Lyssa's warning seems effective. In coming years, the wards around the cave will remain undisturbed and it is assumed that the vampire either perished or understood and accepted Lyssa's ultimatum. In return for swearing loyalty to Queen Lyssa, Princess Calypso is granted dominion over the island, making her mistress of all the four Northern Islands.

This is not the only place in Lustria where the undead are experiencing setbacks. In the fertile Gwangee Valley, the powerful Amazon matriarch Parvati has already driven out the vampiric forces of the jade vampire Sha'shala, the Grand Generaless, in late 2012. Said to have come all the way from Cathay, the ancient beast overplayed its hand when it encroached on the hunting grounds that supplied the Tunsuca court's extravagant feasts.

IAq0Qtt.jpg
Chieftess Parvati did not seize the valley for herself, but rather allowed her allies to rule it independently

That is not to say that the undead threat has been dealt with. To the east, the lords of the night still hold the Vampire Coast. Furthermore, among the ruins of the sunken city of Zarmuda, north of Amazonia, a foul villain has risen to rule over a motley crew of pirate scum and zombie minions...

spRnfiW.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions:
Neat concept! So what version of the mod will you be playing then?
Thanks! I believe it is version 0.9.1, for CK2 2.4.5
That means no Skaven, which is always a shame... but the Amazons have their hands full with vermin as it is!

Are the Amazons a holy order in game terms or something else?

It's an interesting start in any case.
They are tribal, but their religion isn't like vanilla pagans (no fancy CBs). They do get a special Flower War CB with which to capture infidels for sacrifice, and some unique decisions. I hope I can keep things interesting!

Always good to pummel a vampire or two.

Prelude: The Heart of Darkness
A318oa8.png

Rumoured to be ancient servants of the Old Ones, descendants of fierce Norse warrior women and more, the mighty Amazons live in scattered tribes across the jungle continent of Lustria. As warlike as the tales would have it, they live to make war and sacrifice their enemies to Rigg, their berserker goddess of war.

Foreign invaders speak of a people where there are no men. This is not surprising, as they invariably only meet the Amazons on the battlefield. In fact, Amazons are born into both sexes just like in the Old World. However, no self-respecting Amazon Matriarch would drag her weak males into combat. Instead, the menfolk are kept safe and secure under the watchful guard of the shieldmaidens. There they engage in menial tasks more suited to their constitution and intellect. And, of course, they may aspire to the greatest honour a man can earn: participating in the Serena Ritual, the great feast to the goddess of fertility – the one time of the year Amazon women are permitted to lay with their menfolk.

Unknown to most outsiders, the Queen of the Amazons rules from the ancient city of Genaina. This Old One ruin lies on Amazon Island at the mouth of the mighty Amaxon River and ought to be the beating heart of their civilization. However, as darkness encroaches upon Lustria, the tribes drift apart and villages lose contact with each other, leaving them open to predation by lizardmen, Miyan and... external evils.

HiXpnFx.jpg

Amazon Island with the capital city of Ganaina, in white

In 1997, by the Imperial Reckoning, centuries of Old World encroachment come to a head when Tilean adventurers invade and enslave dozens of villages around the mouth of the Amaxon and the outlying islands. With no time to raise her armies, the Amazon Queen Thalestris engages the invaders accompanied by no more than her small bodyguard. They manage to drive the interlopers away, but the queen pays for it with her life. Satisfied with their bounty, the Tileans happily return with their slaves to the Old World.

Those of weak will proclaim that The End is here. The Throne of Rigg will surely crumble before the great goddess can return to reclaim it. However, where some see doom, others see opportunity. One of these is a proud Amazon noblewoman: Lyssa of the Anakonda clan. Ostensibly to save her people, the young woman embarks upon a quest to unite the Amazon tribes.

ey7sIKV.jpg

Nearly three years after she set out on her mission, Lyssa is crowned Queen of the Amazons at the Temple of Karra in Ganaina, in the year 2000. Over the next decade, through inspiring words, cunning and boldness she unites the Amazon villages of Amaxon Bay under her rule. However, this is but a sliver of the mighty jungles of Lustria...

pwPHvT3.png

Northern Lustria in 2010, with Amazonia in green on the northern coast. At the northern edge of the map is Ulthuan, ancestral home of the elves. Across the Great Ocean to the east lies the Old World of vile and greedy men

By the year 2010, the Amazons of the Tarantula Coast to the east still have not heeded Queen Lyssa's call. Other independent tribes are scattered along the length of the Amaxon River and elsewhere: The Pantera clan of Tunsuca, halfway up the Amaxon – who worship Serena, the serpent goddess of fertility, above other gods. The Amazons of the Qurveza river, far to the south – who command strong magic and rule over diminutive Miyan in harmony.

Deeper in the jungle, inscrutable lizardmen cling to their ancient cities. Along the northern coast and elsewhere, Miyan halflings hold no love for the Amazons and dedicate themselves to their ravenous and bloodthirsty deity.

More disconcerting, foreigners have taken control of the islands off the coast of Lyssa's new realm. Tilean pirates roam free from their ports on Xocbiki, Tabazco and the Island of Sacrifices – known as the Triad; Kavana in the Amazon tongue. On the island of Tecnotica – the one which ignorant Old Worlders call 'Columbo's Island' – a foul undead beast holds sway. Already 30 years old, the queen's work has only just begun... will she be up to the task?

9DUffY6.jpg

Queen Lyssa, ten years after her coronation. She is more of a lover than a fighter...
subbed

Vampires driven back on all fronts, only to find out... UNDEAD PIRATES!

Subbed ;)
Beware of A LOT of enemies. Lizardsmen, Two Vampires Lords ( one is also a pirate lol ) and a bunch of norsca people...
A yes, at north we have Malekith and Ulthuan so...well, i'm worried for the Ladies :D

Welcome aboard. I hope you'll enjoy yourself!

Always good to pummel a vampire or two.
It's supposed to be good exercise, or so Queen Lyssa has heard...

Undead pirates? Well this will be interesting.
"A pirate I was meant to be / Trim the sails and eat the braaaains"

Vampires driven back on all fronts, only to find out... UNDEAD PIRATES!
Someone call the Amazon Ninjas!

Subbed ;)
Beware of A LOT of enemies. Lizardsmen, Two Vampires Lords ( one is also a pirate lol ) and a bunch of norsca people...
A yes, at north we have Malekith and Ulthuan so...well, i'm worried for the Ladies :D
Don't worry. It's just more blood sacrifices to mighty Rigg! Well maybe not the elves right away... if Lyssa can avoid the temptation to bite over more than she can chew.

Chapter 2
Chapter 2: For the Glory of Rigg

q6ByqKx.jpg

As the year 2013 comes to a close, Queen Lyssa is taking a well-deserved break after wresting Tecnotica from its vampiric master. When she rouses herself to action once more, however, her next move is not to bring battle to the vile pirates of the Triad Islands. Not only are the pirates well entrenched, they have brought with them crude staves that belch fire and rock throwers that can crush a great war canoe in a single hit. Therefore, Lyssa reasons that succeeding in this endeavour will require the favour of the gods – and mighty Rigg only blesses those that prove themselves with blood.

Further up the Amaxon River from Ganaina, on its right bank, lies the small lizardman domain of Pircaro. Hidden in the Piranha Swamps, it hardly compares to the likes of mighty Tlaxtlan and Xlanhuapec. Regardless, potential sacrifices in mud huts are just as much potential sacrifices as those living in temple cities. More importantly, it is isolated and vulnerable...

A03RSKx.jpg
The High Chiefdom of Pircaro, south-west of Amazon Island

At the turn of the year, Lyssa launches a flower war against Pircaro to gather the needed sacrifices. Mindful of the dangers of the area, she does not march her forces straight into the Swamps. With pirates on her doorstep, the queen cannot let her forces get bogged down – neither metaphorically nor literally. Instead stealthy huntresses lure the lizardmen out of their domain. The main Amazon army sails up the Amaxon in war canoes and land behind the enemy as they march eastward. Commanded by the skilled Princess Calypso, the Amazons cut off the lizardman army's retreat and crush them in a devastating surprise attack.

However, as her armies besiege the remaining enemy holdfasts, Queen Lyssa decides she is not content to just round up sacrifices. At her command, everything of value is stripped from the lizardman temples and the queen lays claim to it all. Preoccupied with gathering loot, the Amazon host returns to Ganaina with a paltry number of sacrifices, much to the displeasure of the priestesses.

GV04Emt.jpg

On the plaza below, a small army of porters carry large baskets filled with gold and precious stones and fine cloth. From her vantage point high up in her pyramid-like palace, Queen Lyssa observes the treasures being carried towards the temple complex on the other side of the plaza. A small smile appears on her lips, but she suppresses it when addressing her companion:

“You do not approve, Harmothoe?” Queen Lyssa says patiently. The chief priestess of Rigg's temple here in Ganaina stands two steps behind the queen. Almost twice the queen's age, hard-faced and with her head shaved bald, the priestess strikes quite a different figure from her sovereign.

Harmothoe remains silent, but the silence speaks volumes. Inhaling as if to give herself strength, Lyssa continues: “These treasures can be melted down and reformed to give honour to Rigg and Serena,” she explains, carefully refraining from adding herself to that list. Now is not the time.

“Besides, what we have no use for can be traded away for what we cannot make ourselves. If we are to survive, we need every advantage we can get.”

“True Amazons take what they need. It is Rigg's way,” the priestess explains, as if to a particularly slow child.
Imagining derision in Harmothoe's voice, Lyssa turns around to see the older woman looking her up and down. Colour rises in her cheeks and her mouth tightens as she feels herself an unproven maiden found wanting by her mother. “As we did take these treasures from the lizardmen after crushing them on the field of battle,” she points out, almost petulant despite her best efforts.

Harmothoe nods. “Calypso Toucana surely pleased Rigg with her bravery that day,” she agrees with a straight face.

Certain she had turned the tables on the old priestess, Lyssa's indignation now returns in full force. She makes to bring a scathing retort, but finds herself without ammunition for a comeback. Calypso had indeed led the battle, along with the insufferable Tisiphone. Lyssa herself... had also been there.

“Yes,” the queen says curtly. She clenches her fists and marches past the priestess, not caring if she follows or not. Leaving the balcony overlooking the plaza, she moves back into the interior of the palace. Once she stops, it is in front of two guards standing to attention in front of the stairs to the dungeon.

“You there,” she addresses one of the women. “Would you please be so kind as to guide the priestess home?”

The guard does as commanded, firmly leading Harmothoe away.

“There is also the matter of two missing captives...” the priestess pipes up. Seeing the queen not even acknowledging her presence, she gives up and lets herself be guided out of the palace.​

y4om8bX.jpg

Once the meddlesome priestess is out of sight, Lyssa turns to the remaining guard: “I am not to be disturbed,” she says curtly and stomps down the stairs.

Stepping into a chamber below, she lights a lantern. Taking a moment to catch her breath and her bearings, she observes the opposite wall. Chains clatter and clink as the light sweeps across the dark room. Struggling against their bindings, two large reptilian humanoids pull and writhe against dozens of heavy chains. Taller than even the most statuesque Amazon and seemingly built purely of muscle, the two mighty Saurus stare at their captor, but their lizard eyes are inscrutable. It is hard to tell if they are biding their time or raging furiously, for their fearsome snouts have been muzzled by vine cords, letting nothing more than muffled growls through.​

YBKMiqa.jpg

“It was the prudent thing to do,” she muses. She does not like admitting it, but Calypso was much more qualified to command in battle than she was. Metal instruments clatter and clink as she goes through them on the table. She picks up an obsidian scalpel with a slender bronze hilt and studies it: “It's not like she planned the campaign on her own, you know?”

In fact, she and Calypso had outlined the invasion and come up with the idea for the feint together, over capybara dumplings and perhaps a bit too much chicha. “Just because she oversees the execution...” the queen mutters and puts down the knife. With a sigh she stares into the distance. She could not bring herself to hate Calypso for being a better commander. In fact, even more so than her competent leadership, Lyssa had come to enjoy the jolly matriarch's companionship. Less appetizing was losing in prestige to the snide Tisiphone...

“I'm the Queen of the Amazons! I can easily match any of them if I put my mind to it.” She did not relish the thought of working hard to improve her skills, but there was no helping it. For now, all she can do is take her mind off her worries.

Taking time to savour the motion, Lyssa picks up a robust set of pliers and turns back to her captive audience: “First of all...” she smiles, testing the pliers in the air. “...know your enemy.”

The queen steps forward and lets the pliers glide over the largest Saurus's scales, as if trying to determine which to pluck first. She looks into the beast's eyes: “I wonder... how do you make a Saurus cry out in pain...”​

ehMkaz2.jpg
It's not poor, she just doesn't feel like showing it off...

* * *​

Ignoring the naysayers, Lyssa does not call up her armies again, instead choosing to remain in Ganaina. Not just occupied with matters of state, she uses the opportunity to spend time with her children. Her three daughters are growing up fast – coming closer to the gruelling rite of passage where they are to prove themselves true Amazon warriors.

QjF0dGU.jpg
Queen Lyssa's three beautiful little girls

When the question of who should prepare the queen's children for their trial by fire, the choice is obvious. Of similar temperament, Queen Lyssa and Princess Calypso of Quetzlpan get along rather well, bonding over the lavish feasts the queen holds with increasing frequency now that she does not leave Ganaina much. With power and prestige second only to the queen and as a renowned fighter, Calypso is an ideal tutor.

However, Lyssa cannot bear to part with her oldest daughter. Close to her mother in temperament and social skills, Maya is by far her mother's favourite and the queen cannot help but give her preferential treatment. The instructors despair as the child smooth-talks her way out of exercising or simply fails to show up at sparring lessons. Unable to scold her precious Maya, Lyssa ignores their pleas – much to the girl's delight.

7csk5Iz.jpg
There is no way this could backfire...

The bold and energetic Inanna is the direct opposite of the level-headed and indolent Maya. Always picking fights with girls bigger than her, she shows the heart of an Amazon, if not much in the way of brains. Sending the troublemaking girl to study under Calypso almost feels like a relief.

At only 7, little Phaedra is too young to send away just yet, but she will surely grow up to be a strong and well-behaved Amazon!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Not the nicest creature on the planet, this Queen. I thought Harmothoe's barbs struck home very well.