• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

jere8184

Captain
32 Badges
Feb 23, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Hi and welcome to CTB

What is this mod

• This mod makes all government types use the tribal call to arms method for gaining levees of their vassals.
  • There are already a couple of mods which do this, but what makes this mod different is that I have tried to properly integrate the tribal call to arms system in a way that it removes some of big problems with the system.

Problems solved with tribal call to arms

• The biggest problem with tribal call to arms is that it stops the AI from being able to asses the relative strength of their own and each others realm as they will only account for the holders levys and not take into account the levys the vassals may supply to their liege.
  • This because when tribal call to arms is used vassals can decide weaver or not to send their levys to support their liege.
  • As the AI can not properly asses the strength of other realms it makes them do strange stuff e.g A liege may accept a ultimatum from a weak faction because he views himself as weaker than he actually is.
  • Another problem caused by tribal call to arms is when you are called into a war as a independent ruler you can only raise levees from your own demesne.

How are these problem solved

• What I mean when I say I have integrated the tribal call to arms mechanic is that I have attached it to a law which is only activated upon declaring war and deactivated when the war ends.
  • So during peace time the AI should behave completely normal and should be able to asses it strength like normal.
  • When war is declared and tribal call to arms is activated the AI no longer counts for vassal levys which is not a big deal but this minor problem also tends to cause weaker nations to gang up on larger ones when a large nation goes to war .
  • Also realms called into a war by a ally will not switch to tribal call to arms and therefor be able to raise there vassals levy
For the most part this mod works fine but there are a couple things I could use some help on

• Due to my limited skill at modding ck2 I dont know how to stop the law from deactivating for nations who are in multiple war but one of the war ends. If anyone is willing to fix this problem for me it would be appreciated.
  • The only other problem I have found with this mod is that while at war (and therefor the law is activated the AI may accept ultimatums from weak factions. Again any help would be appreciated.
  • This isnt really a problem but i feel like vassals are to willing to answer their lieges call to arms by modifying the defines file the willingness can be changed.
The benefits of using tribal call to arms
    • Player choice - the tribal vassal call to arms gives choice to vassals allowing them to refuse their lieges call to arms.
    • More characters on the battlefield - your vassals will be able to bring their own courtiers to war as they can appoint commanders to their own levy so there is alot more potential candidates to die in battle and get maimed or whatnot instead of only 5 nobles going to war when a kingdom declares war. this change is good when you play with mods such as ASOIAF which add personal combat.
    • Control your own levies - you can now give commands to your own levys so its alot more fun when your liege declares war.
    • vassals lose levys - when you raised your vassals levys there holdings do not actually lose levys so after a terrible war where all levys of a realm are destroyed the vassals of that realm would still have full levys. Now when you lose men you vassals do to.

Enjoy.

[HIP] [Submod] Norse Heritage Overhaul - by Erilaz is a mod that uses a bit of the stuff from this mod but is probably 10 times better.

Its only compatible with HIP and maybe I will make a vanilla compatible version sometime in the future. But feel free to message Erilaz if you would like to take on the task of making his HIP submod vanilla compatible as I am very busy ( two jobs plus sixthform)

Attachments

• Call the banners.zip
    7 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Possible solutions to the remaining problens: fire an event from the on actions that end wars to change the law, but give it a trigger of war = no. That way, if another way is still going on, the law will remain in effect.

Also, modify the faction ultimatum decisions so that they can only be used while the ream is at peace.

Looks amazing! Have you considered uploading it to the Workshop?

Also, if it's compatible with AGOT, is pretty much every total conversion compatible as well?

Looks amazing! Have you considered uploading it to the Workshop?

Also, if it's compatible with AGOT, is pretty much every total conversion compatible as well?

I wouldnt say its compatible but it could be made compatible within like 2 mins and that goes for all total conversions

Possible solutions to the remaining problens: fire an event from the on actions that end wars to change the law, but give it a trigger of war = no. That way, if another way is still going on, the law will remain in effect.

Also, modify the faction ultimatum decisions so that they can only be used while the ream is at peace.
I really dont have much time to be fair but if anyone wants to fix the problems feel free

I wouldnt say its compatible but it could be made compatible within like 2 mins and that goes for all total conversions

Just verified with ROTK, Witcher Kings, AGOT and NMHI, and it IS compatible with them all (at least where Feudals are concerned, didn't look up the rest)! What a victory.

Last edited:
I think I made something very similar but the issue I had was that the baron feudal rulers would auto decline the call losing them prestige and not providing levy. Has that issue been fixed?

I think these days barrons can accept call to arms but they do not provide levys which is unfortunate. But this problem only effects the direct baron vassals of a liege and does not stop a vassal count or duke from rasing his barons levys . Also Im quite a fan of your work hooni and one of your early mods was the inspiration for this.

I think these days barrons can accept call to arms but they do not provide levys which is unfortunate. But this problem only effects the direct baron vassals of a liege and does not stop a vassal count or duke from rasing his barons levys . Also Im quite a fan of your work hooni and one of your early mods was the inspiration for this.
Thanks.
Can we circumvent this problem by assigning different government type to baron feudal rulers? So they do not get "call into arms"?
Or will that disinherit heirs who are barons?

Thanks.
Can we circumvent this problem by assigning different government type to baron feudal rulers? So they do not get "call into arms"?
Or will that disinherit heirs who are barons?
I have no idea but you can try?

This is a really interesting mod. It's always been one of the weirdest things about levies in CK2 that you can raise liege levies, seemingly out of thin air, without any troops actually leaving the vassal lands (and then, at times, your vassals can join your wars and supply the real levies from the holdings). This mod provides for a much more realistic setup!

I want to integrate it with HIP, so I've been looking through the files. One thing I stumbled upon: is there a reason that imperial governments don't use the call to arms?

Also, If I do integrate it with HIP, would you mind if I released such a version (with you and your mod credited of course)?

This is a really interesting mod. It's always been one of the weirdest things about levies in CK2 that you can raise liege levies, seemingly out of thin air, without any troops actually leaving the vassal lands (and then, at times, your vassals can join your wars and supply the real levies from the holdings). This mod provides for a much more realistic setup!

I want to integrate it with HIP, so I've been looking through the files. One thing I stumbled upon: is there a reason that imperial governments don't use the call to arms?

Also, If I do integrate it with HIP, would you mind if I released such a version (with you and your mod credited of course)?

The reason imperial goverments dont use tribal call to arms is because at first I developed this mod for personal use. I used this mod with another mod which gave the Byzantine empire a unique goverment type called imperial goverments (Im pretty sure the Byzantine empire use fudal goverment in vanilla) .

This solved the problem that is unique to the Byzantine empire when they use tribal call to arms. The problem is that the Byzantine emperor is the heir to many of his duke teir vassals causing them to always respond to his call to arms making him overpowerd.

If you would like to intergrate this mod into HIP I just have a few requests. This mod isnt really complete as you can see in my first post there are still many problems that I have not yet solved.

If you are willing to do:

1) Solve the problem of the tribal call to arms law disabling when a ruler is in multiple wars and ends one of them.

2) Make a defines file which only contains
  • TRIBAL_VASSAL_EXTRA_CALL_CHANCE =
  • TRIBAL_PRESTIGE_CALL_TRESHOLD =
3) Make a game rule which allows for the two values in the defines file to be changed allowing for the player to be able to chose how hard it will be for leiges to get their vassals to answer their call to arms.

So yeh if you (or anyone else for that matter) are willing to solve these problems and send the files to me to use as a standalone mod, I will credit the person who solves these problems and be more than happy to let anyone intergrate this mod into their projects.

Last edited:

Your first solution will not work because as someone on the quick modding questions thread said
"war = yes sadly won't work, as the event is technically fired just before the war ends (and before any titles change hands). To check for that, you'd have to have this event fire another event a few days later, which would probably require saving the FROM scope as an event target."

Your solution for the second problem also has a few cons for example it would reduce the mods compatablity and would stop multiple faction civil wars from occuring at the same time.

His suggestion will most likely work but I dont have the skillz to impliment it.

Last edited:

Imperial government is there because this mod taken straight from my mod (Rebels and Warmongers).
Only difference is that call to arms only occur in during war (which was actually the case about a year ago for RaW). This was removed in subsequent versions because of inheritance abuse (giving barony with special government type to sons would disinherit them, which means the player could bypass gavelkind restrictions) and the barons would be call to war and refuse automatically making them lose prestige. Since this was more than a year ago, I am not sure, if this is the case now.

Feel free to use this mod. I do not want people not to reinvent the wheel in respect of making simple functions like call to arms.

You created a new government type for baronies to exempt them from the call to arms function and get liege levies as usual?

Barony tier holdings are really annoying when trying to use call to arms for all government types. Any idea why the call to arms function doesn't work for this tier? Would be great if that could get fixed somehow!

EDIT: They can obviously join the wars, but they won't ever raise their troops. Could there be a way to force this?

Last edited:
1) Solve the problem of the tribal call to arms law disabling when a ruler is in multiple wars and ends one of them.
Your first solution will not work because as someone on the quick modding questions thread said
"war = yes sadly won't work, as the event is technically fired just before the war ends (and before any titles change hands). To check for that, you'd have to have this event fire another event a few days later, which would probably require saving the FROM scope as an event target."

I tried many things, but most of them were hindered by the fact that, as you say, the game asks the question before the war is actually ended.

The best solution that I think could work quite well is to use "on_yearly_pulse" instead, so each year it'll check whether you're at war; if you are, you'll still have pledge on, but if you aren't it'll switch to off. Also, instead of asking whether at war, you should ask whether you're the primary participant in a war.

So this is how I'd do it:

on_actions
Code:
# From = Attacker, Root = Defender
on_war_started = {
    events = {
        rb.0001      
    }
}

on_yearly_pulse = {
    events = {
        rb.0002
    }
}

events
Code:
namespace = rb
character_event = {
    id = rb.0001

is_triggered_only = yes

hide_window = yes

immediate = {
        FROM = {
            primary_title = {
                  add_law = pledge_on
            }
        }
        ROOT = {
            primary_title = {
                  add_law = pledge_on
            }
        }
    }
}

character_event = {
    id = rb.0002

is_triggered_only = yes

hide_window = yes

trigger = {
        is_primary_war_attacker = no
        is_primary_war_defender = no
    }

immediate = {
        FROM = {
            primary_title = {
                  add_law = pledge_off
            }
        }
        ROOT = {
            primary_title = {
                  add_law = pledge_off
            }
        }
    }
}

I also tidied them up a bit. For example, having the chronicle events in your file as well as in Vanilla's duplicates the chronicle entries.

Imperial government is there because this mod taken straight from my mod (Rebels and Warmongers).
Only difference is that call to arms only occur in during war (which was actually the case about a year ago for RaW). This was removed in subsequent versions because of inheritance abuse (giving barony with special government type to sons would disinherit them, which means the player could bypass gavelkind restrictions) and the barons would be call to war and refuse automatically making them lose prestige. Since this was more than a year ago, I am not sure, if this is the case now.

Feel free to use this mod. I do not want people not to reinvent the wheel in respect of making simple functions like call to arms.

I dont know if your mod has imperial goverment in it but my mod has imperial goverment in it due to the mod on steam workshop by the name of "rome plus"
link : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=947943501&searchtext=imperial

I will not lie I did use ONE file from your mod which was the "obligations law" file (and then modified the file to quite a large extent) but apart from that I have not used anything else

Im not gonna say your mod didnt hevaily inspire this mod but as I just said the only file I took from your mod was the obligation file which I edited to a certain extent. All the other files I have done myself and I can link you to the questions I asked on the modding help thread in order to make these files (this includes the goverments file which im guessing may look very similar to yours because the changes I implimented where very simple and im guessiing yours where to)

"this mod taken straight from my mod" If you want me to replace the ONE file in this mod that was taken from your mod and then modified I will do so.

Last edited:
I tried many things, but most of them were hindered by the fact that, as you say, the game asks the question before the war is actually ended.

The best solution that I think could work quite well is to use "on_yearly_pulse" instead, so each year it'll check whether you're at war; if you are, you'll still have pledge on, but if you aren't it'll switch to off. Also, instead of asking whether at war, you should ask whether you're the primary participant in a war.

So this is how I'd do it:

on_actions
Code:
# From = Attacker, Root = Defender
on_war_started = {
    events = {
        rb.0001     
    }
}

on_yearly_pulse = {
    events = {
        rb.0002
    }
}

events
Code:
namespace = rb
character_event = {
    id = rb.0001

is_triggered_only = yes

hide_window = yes

immediate = {
        FROM = {
            primary_title = {
                  add_law = pledge_on
            }
        }
        ROOT = {
            primary_title = {
                  add_law = pledge_on
            }
        }
    }
}

character_event = {
    id = rb.0002

is_triggered_only = yes

hide_window = yes

trigger = {
    }

immediate = {
        FROM = {
            primary_title = {
                  add_law = pledge_off
            }
        }
        ROOT = {
            primary_title = {
                  add_law = pledge_off
            }
        }
    }
}

I also tidied them up a bit. For example, having the chronicle events in your file as well as in Vanilla's duplicates the chronicle entries.

Okay thanks I will look at this later. As soon as this mod works properly I dont mind anyone using it.

@hooni is this fine or shall change the names of the laws just in case our mods having the same law names makes you feel as if this mod was taken directly from your mod

laws = {
pledge_off = {
group = pledge
default = yes
potential = {
holder_scope = {
OR = {
independent = yes
in_revolt = yes
}
}
}
allow = {
}
revoke_allowed = {
always = no
}

effect = {
hidden_tooltip = {
revoke_law = pledge_on
}
set_tribal_vassal_levy_control = yes
}
}

pledge_on = {
group = pledge
potential = {
holder_scope = {
higher_tier_than = COUNT
independent = yes
}
}
allow = {
}
revoke_allowed = {
always = no
}
effect = {
hidden_tooltip = {
revoke_law = pledge_off
}
set_tribal_vassal_levy_control = no
}
}

}

Last edited:
events
Code:
character_event = {
    id = rb.0002

is_triggered_only = yes

hide_window = yes

trigger = {
    }

immediate = {
        FROM = {
            primary_title = {
                  add_law = pledge_off
            }
        }
        ROOT = {
            primary_title = {
                  add_law = pledge_off
            }
        }
    }
}

Actually, the second event here should not use FROM and ROOT now since I used another on_action. It should simply be:

Code:
character_event = {
    id = rb.0002

is_triggered_only = yes

hide_window = yes

trigger = {
    }

immediate = {
        primary_title = {
              add_law = pledge_off