HOI4 Oak 1.4.2 BETA patch [checksum: a48d]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
- Convoys used for naval transfers are no longer locked in a state of being permanently "in use" when saving/loading while navally transferring

Hopefully this fixes the issues of convoys being lost during a save/load and should resolve the issues with convoys since 1.1 .

- Removed AI weight modifier is_in_faction from JAP axis leaning focus
- Tweaked ai weights for carrier plane research. AI will now always research the most modern carrier version available and not research any carrier planes if they don't have carriers, the US and Japan will also be more eager to research carrier planes and particularly so when at war with each other
- Tweaked AT gun research to take enemy armor values into account (AI will be more willing to research AT upgrades if facing an enemy with high armor divisions)
- AI will no longer research basic heavy tanks if it can already research improved heavy tanks
- Removed AI weight modifier is_in_faction from JAP axis leaning focus
- Tweaked ai weights for carrier plane research. AI will now always research the most modern carrier version available and not research any carrier planes if they don't have carriers, the US and Japan will also be more eager to research carrier planes and particularly so when at war with each other
- Tweaked AT gun research to take enemy armor values into account (AI will be more willing to research AT upgrades if facing an enemy with high armor divisions)
- AI will no longer research basic heavy tanks if it can already research improved heavy tanks

The list sure looks longer when you repeat everything.:p

As a dutch person I must ask how I'd be able to see the new portrait!

Truth be told I'm almost more excited about the clone wars ending than the bugfixes an balancing :p

changelog is now updated (note new checksum) and new build is up
- fixed so that the supply status also works for attrition like changelog said
- ai guarantee blocker when having no manpower etc now should work more reliably (scoring was a bit low)
- losing design companies on new version should stop after this patch. you'll still lose them going to 1.4.2, but after this the system will be able to handle the future

Impressive update regarding naval transfer fixes. I'll try out when i can.

Are there any plans to look into the behaviour of minor allies who now tend to just garrison their core area if there's no immediate threat to them? I've seen China garrisoning himself with 200 fully equipped divisions which is kinda crazy. Is this according to design? I think they should at least go on resistance suppression in occupied areas to some degree if they don't want to participate in actual fighting.

@podcat @SteelVolt Very needed fixes in this patch, the time off obviously agreed with y'all. I do have a few questions and suggestions (of course ;) )

- Nations with low manpower are now less likely to burn pp on relation boosting as they need it for laws
- Fixed Italy Befriend Bulgaria strategy not requiring Bulgaria to exist

Do these two fixes relate to addressing the PP spending loop Italy was in regarding the Befriend Bulgaria focus as noted in my bug report?

- Italy should now be more careful about transports across the Med

Does this also apply to the Commonwealth sending suicide missions into the Med after Suez has fallen and Italy has naval dominance?

Fixed an issue where front lines could sometimes disappear

Does this address the issue where ai German front lines vs Yugoslavia disappear and Germany walks away as soon as Croatia is formed? If not, can we please just not form Croatia until after Yugoslavia capitulates?

Issues:
1) I did not see anything in the patch notes regarding the Treaty of Craiova issue. This is where Romania begins justifying on Bulgaria immediately after this event fires. I think it is because of a Romanian core remaining on Southern Dobruja after the event.

2) Garrisons - may I suggest a couple of quick tweaks to improve the Axis ai's garrison/suppression performance?
a) Change the stats for MP tech to base 40% with a 20% improvement with each additional tech level.
b) Increase the size of the major power garrison template from 4 to 6 battalions. Since the ai uses this template for shore/port garrisons as well as suppression, 4 battalions against an invasion breaks too fast. They are not even a speed bump, it's more like bug vs windshield.
c) change the suppression number for infantry from 1 - 2.
d) move the base occupation level from 1 to 2 so that the ai utilizes more of the captured factories and resources.
These changes allow Germany especially to perform better with more captured resources and factories that aren't up in flames from partisans and don't require a ton of script code rewrites.

I did not see anything addressing the ai's failure to advance out of their borders if there are no enemy units adjacent to their borders. In particular I mean Italy and Axis minor allies sitting at home while Germany fights in Russia, or Germany ignoring an invasion of Italy. Was/is this being addressed in 1.4.2?

New NF Tree for USA??

Do these two fixes relate to addressing the PP spending loop Italy was in regarding the Befriend Bulgaria focus as noted in my bug report?

it should do :)

Does this address the issue where ai German front lines vs Yugoslavia disappear and Germany walks away as soon as Croatia is formed? If not, can we please just not form Croatia until after Yugoslavia capitulates?
not sure. check it out. the disappearing frontlines could happen in several areas, but it might be something else

Does this also apply to the Commonwealth sending suicide missions into the Med after Suez has fallen and Italy has naval dominance?

sadly not. consider this our first step improving the 2 nastiest things. We'll be working on a more general solution for next patch.

Scope for 1.4.2 is the changelog above, we dont plan to add more now unless the patch itself breaks something. We want to get it released today if possible so we can start looking towards bigger tasks and the future.

Played up to 1940-something with the Brits and it looks like the Germans and Italians are much better at not shipping troops when they shouldn't. Convoys still go through the channel/med when it's a good way from their best interest, but suspect this isn't covered by the AI_strategy (but if it is, then this is an issue - GER lost a number of convoys in the English Channel and more in the Straits of Malacca, as did Italy in the Med (I felt a little mean beating down Italy's fleet from the get-go, but it made it easier to check these things out).

However, one thing that looked a little odd - German aircraft production seemed a little on the low side (I tagged about to have a gander at things every little while). They still got a 'decent' airforce by late 1939, but instead of heavily outnumbering the RAF (and friends), they were often at a disadvantage in terms of airpower when coming through the low countries, and only had four factories on fighters even at that late stage:

GER aircraft production late 39.jpg

Go back a couple of years and it look like they're barely interested in airpower:

GER aircraft production 1937.jpg

I hadn't played Britain or France for a little while prior to this game, so I'm not sure what it was like for 1.4, so if nothing's changed from pre 1.4.2 then it may not be a problem for this patch, but thought I'dd mention it. I have memories of AI GER having a lot more factories dedicated to fighters at about that time in earlier builds, but it's been a while (I'm afraid I'm not sure how long, sorry for the bodgy memory). Note - I wouldn't say the air production is broken, just a bit under-nourished (also GER could probably do with less factories on STRs and more on FTRs, even if it was the same number of factories, particularly if only a small number of factories are being used).

The number of soldiers in the vote is wrong. As an example, 1941 te germany started with 3,000,000 soldiers for the barbarossa war. It is impossible to produce so many soldiers on it. In addition, the Russians must have at least 10,000,000 troops. But 4,000,000 of them are around.

Scope for 1.4.2 is the changelog above, we dont plan to add more now unless the patch itself breaks something. We want to get it released today if possible so we can start looking towards bigger tasks and the future.

Please correct the problem with Yugoslavia. The country falls out of the axis alliance while fighting with the allies. In addition, Paul is replaced by Peter.

As an example, 1941 te germany started with 3,000,000 soldiers for the barbarossa war
German forces for Barbarossa:
Land units - 3.3 million.
The Luftwaffe - 1.2 million.
Kriegsmarine - 100 thousand.
Total - 4.6 million people.
Plus allies:
Romania - 380.400
Finland - 340.600
Italy - 61.900
Hungary - 44.500
Slovakia - 42.500
Total - 869.900
The total Axis forces for Barbarossa are 5.469,900 people.
In addition, the Russians must have at least 10,000,000 troops.
The total strength of the armed forces of the USSR for June 1941 - 5.4 million people. It's all over the country. Of this number, only 3.2 million people are on the western borders of the country. (From the border and 400 km in depth).
Your number of "10 million" is the approximate human reserves of the USSR for the whole of 1941. Of this number, you need to subtract 6 million - these are people sent to the industry. The remaining ones need to be trained and armed. It takes time. While new reserves are moving toward the front (on bad roads) - the operating army is suffering losses. Thus - the strength of the army in operation is growing slowly. It reached the value of 4.2 million - only by the end of 1941.

Played up to 1940-something with the Brits and it looks like the Germans and Italians are much better at not shipping troops when they shouldn't. Convoys still go through the channel/med when it's a good way from their best interest, but suspect this isn't covered by the AI_strategy (but if it is, then this is an issue - GER lost a number of convoys in the English Channel and more in the Straits of Malacca, as did Italy in the Med (I felt a little mean beating down Italy's fleet from the get-go, but it made it easier to check these things out).

AI/player has no control over the path convoys go so no it wouldnt be able to stop them here.

Please correct the problem with Yugoslavia. The country falls out of the axis alliance while fighting with the allies. In addition, Paul is replaced by Peter.

I am not sure what you mean here. Is it coup related? Can you make a proper bug report with repro steps and saves in the bug report forum

it should do :)

not sure. check it out. the disappearing frontlines could happen in several areas, but it might be something else

sadly not. consider this our first step improving the 2 nastiest things. We'll be working on a more general solution for next patch.

One quickie suggestion, change the time to complete on the Around Maginot focus from 28 to either 35 or preferably 42 days.

With all the changes and improvements in ai performance ai Germany rarely finishes off Poland in 28 days now. Moving the completion date further allows ai Germany to avoid the 2 front min war that gets it into trouble in late 39.

Status
Not open for further replies.