[MOD] Adv. Custom Empires Pack - Extended First Contact

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zoston

Major
69 Badges
Aug 8, 2006
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
Most of the discussion about this mod has been taking place on the Steam workshop. Feel free to post here if you prefer, but if you want to read more details on the updates/future plans/etc. you can find those at the link below.

Steam workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=925031358

This mod adds 42 hand-crafted custom empires. In addition, it gives each empire an extended first contact event that allows you to learn more about each empire's unique personality and history. Since several versions ago, this mod also includes 'final contact events', custom messages for when one of this mod's empires is destroyed.

The 42 empires are designed to maximize variety in ethics, civics, and AI personalities, with some creative leeway.

This mod makes no changes to gameplay. It is up to date to 2.2.6

Please let me know what you think, and report any bugs or (spelling) errors!

Edit: Version 1.1 added two new empires!

Edit 2: Version 1.2 added another two new empires!

Edit 3: Another two more empires for version 1.3!

Edit 4: Version 2.0 adds another four empires, and some additional features! See the Steam link for more.

Edit 5: Version 2.1 adds four machine empires (one of each type).

Edit 6: Version 2.2 adds two more machine empires (and updates to Stellaris 2.0).

Edit 7: Version 2.3 adds four more empires (and completes the roster for now)!

Edit 8: A while since the last update here. We're now at version 2.7 with seven more empires having been added, bringing the total to 42.

2017_04_15_1.png
2017_04_15_6.png
2017_05_13_10.png
2017_05_13_20.png
2017_05_13_38.png
2017_05_13_44.png
2017_05_13_55.png
2017_05_13_60.png
2017_05_13_72.png

Last edited:
Cool, I was looking for a mod like this! In fact I was thinking of doing something similar. Quick question, do your custom events make it non-Iron Man compatible?

Cool, I was looking for a mod like this! In fact I was thinking of doing something similar. Quick question, do your custom events make it non-Iron Man compatible?
Thanks, I hope you'll find it to your liking.

You can always enable Ironman Mode, but if that's your real question: the game screen is telling me that if you enable Ironman you will be eligible for achievements even with this mod. I don't play Ironman myself, but I'm assuming the game is correct about that. :)

Yes indeed it was achievements I meant. So even with events it still works? That's pretty cool.

Do your Empires have custom name lists btw?

Yes indeed it was achievements I meant. So even with events it still works? That's pretty cool.

Do your Empires have custom name lists btw?
Yeah, I was a bit surprised myself, but this mod's footprint is pretty light.

There's no custom name lists. It would've been a cool detail, but as I'm just a one-person-show I've focused my efforts on what's really impactful. I basically asked myself: "What would I actually read and not just glance over?" That's the species bio and of course the first contact events. For everything else I've done my best to leverage the vanilla assets and writing so that it will generally fit.

Sensible approach, I've made a few lists for my own usage and they are long and annoying to make... It's a pity the built-in ones are so boring and theme-less.

Exactly. There's a few namelists that are okay, but most are pretty flat.

Btw, if you do end up playing a game with this mod, feel free to post some screenshots/stories of your game (if you want to that is). I've played it myself a bunch of time, but it'd be cool to see how other people play it and how the empires end up doing in their games. :)

I've started a game with your mod and met a few Empires, so far so good! I like those intro events. I have a suggestion though, maybe you could try to have less empire names with made-up elements in them? They are so hard to remember... So for instance instead of "Bavi Convention" have it be "Great Circle Evengelists", or have that Cromwell authoritarian state be the "Iron Protectorate" instead of whatever the current name is, etc.

Also, I had been planning something like that of my own, but since yours is on the exact same line and part of the value is having enough empires to not repeat too much, would you be ok if I contributed a few to yours instead? I have Utopia btw, so I can provide a few hive minds.

I've started a game with your mod and met a few Empires, so far so good! I like those intro events. I have a suggestion though, maybe you could try to have less empire names with made-up elements in them? They are so hard to remember... So for instance instead of "Bavi Convention" have it be "Great Circle Evengelists", or have that Cromwell authoritarian state be the "Iron Protectorate" instead of whatever the current name is, etc.
That's some solid feedback, thanks! I actually have been considering redoing the names. Not because of your point, but because, but keep this on the low ;), a lot of them are actually from the vanilla random name generator. I felt it made more random sounding names than I did most of the time, but I've noticed it actually repeats sometimes so you'll get a randomly generated empire with the same name as one of the ACEP empires. I haven't been willing to pull the trigger on renaming yet, because I'm worried people might've gotten used to the current names already. But you make a good point, it might indeed be worth it to do a major update adjusting all the names.

Also, I had been planning something like that of my own, but since yours is on the exact same line and part of the value is having enough empires to not repeat too much, would you be ok if I contributed a few to yours instead? I have Utopia btw, so I can provide a few hive minds.
I think it'd be really cool to have some contributions. :) We'd have to talk about it, but I think we can work something out. I'll send you a pm.

Per request, I'm uploading a legacy version of ACEP for Stellaris 1.9.1 here. I'm uploading it as a rar because I won't be updating it as if it was a separate branch. It is just for those people who do not want to switch over to Stellaris 2.0 just yet. But, do enjoy! :)

Attachments

• acepl.rar
    220,3 KB · Views: 8
I received a bug report that ACEP for 2.0.1 creates bugs with the 2.0.2beta patch, specifically breaking the "Faith in Science" tradition. So I'm uploading a version of ACEP that is compatibly with the current 2.0.2beta patch. It may get out of date again, but it should at least not have this same bug. (And a version downloaded like this should be easier to manually keep compatible than the steam version.)

Again, thanks for playing and enjoying this mod!

Attachments

• ACEP 2.3 for 2.0.2beta.rar
    235 KB · Views: 7