• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Note in triplicate to M. Lafitte @99KingHigh , M. Duval @MadMartigan and to M. Descombes @naxhi24 ))

En transit a Londres
30 Septembre 1830

Dear esteemed colleagues

I noted with interest the draft budget recently prepared by the Baron Duval. My congratulations to the good Baron for the honesty and forthrightness with which he has prepared the national accounts.

I further note the conclusion that the Nation will stand in a substantial deficit, with the provision for taxation stretched, and even allowing for the loans already placed in foreign markets, predominantly Londres, where I shall coincidentally arrive in 2 days times.

It appears to me, albeit from a distance, that given the favourable legislative agenda presently on the table, that it is in the mutual interest of our four banks, and the commercial class of France generally, that we support the regime through these straightened times, in the not unreasonable expectation that the alternative would be altogether ruinous for our businesses.

To that end, I propose that our four enterprises put together a consortium of the 4 major banks of France, together with any lesser entities who may wish to contribute, for the purposes of raising a line of credit for the benefit of the French Crown of 100 million Francs, with a contribution of 25 million Francs each, drawn for whatever sources we can raise them, with a further provision for the rate of interest fixed at 1% less than the current bond rate charged to the Crown in Londres, in order to relieve the Government of the pressure of interest repayments and as a public vote of confidence of the banks in the Government.

This amount will clear the estimated deficit of 71 million Francs, with some excess to help paydown the foreign loans. Such a significant commitment is bound to draw attention in other markets and encourage a lowering of rates generally.

I shall be staying with my brother, Nathan, in Londres, and would ask that you forward your comments and hopefully approval of this scheme to his residence in Belgrave Square, Londres at your earliest convenience.

I remain, dear Sirs, your obedient servant

Jacques de Rothschild

A Letter to Jacques de Rothschild ((@Davout))

My Friend.

Your plan is in good faith and your intentions are just, but I fear that the money requested may be too much. While Lafitte and yourself would easily be able to afford the 25 million franc contribution, the Seine Bank and Descombes and Company would have a much harder time. My father's bank and that of Duval are not as large as you would imagine. We would not be able to afford the cost right away, and it would take an exceedingly large amount of time before we could muster up said funds. The one-hundred million franc line of credit to the French Crown would not only cover the entire deficit, but give the government a 29 million franc surplus, a surplus that could very well be wasted. As such I proposed the following change:

I. A Line of Credit for the benefit of the French Crown of 36 million Francs, with a contribution of 9 million Francs each.

Half the deficit would be covered by French credit providers, and the contributions would be more easily obtained by smaller banks. This would be as beneficial to the interests of French finances then covering the entire deficit and more so. I ask that you consider this amendment in due haste.

-Alexandre Descombes

The Finance Minister responds to recent allegations while speaking at the Chamber of Commerce...

It should be pointed out that prior to the Pecuniary Control Act, the vast majority of Franc banknotes were printed by the Bank of France, a more centralized a system in fact than exists in Britain. The Finance Ministry has not adopted a general policy of free banking but instead is merely working with the unique character of French institutions. We are not English, our banks are generally smaller. The largest banks are part of the Bank of France, which itself is a conglomeration of the largest Parisian banking families at the time of the Empire, and are subject to direct government influence.

The primary beneficiary of a return to the previous status quo before the economic ruination of the ministries under the former regime is the Bank of France, which serves the national interest, rather than the lesser commercial banks such as the Seine Bank. These financial bodies have yet to grow to match their British counterparts and as such take less effort and scrutiny to regulate.

zpage020.gif

The Lécuyer Foundation

By the orders of the current Duc de Lécuyer, Joachim-Philippe Lothaire de Lécuyer, and the last wish of the late Général de brigade Lothaire Duc de Lécuyer. Under the supervision of Christine de Lécuyer and various guardians and wards and in correspondence with economists, accountants and lawyers.

A private foundation have been founded in the name of the late Lothaire de Lécuyer and all who laid down their lives during the Three Glorious Days.

Until the government draft a law of indemnity* the Lécuyer Foundation will provide financial assistance and compensation to all orphans and widows from the Three Glorious Days and all those who got injured during the Three Glorious Days. The Foundation will seek to give assisstance to those who have already not been given assistance and compensation. The Foundation set up the aim of reaching the ambitious goal of 7 million francs.

When the Foundation have compensated the heroes of the Three Glorious Days the Lécuyer Foundation will continue to provide for the less unfortunate. The Foundation will then invest in Parisian enterprises, the Bourse and industries. The surplus earned from these investments will be donated to aid the poor, support education, arts etc.

In the name of all the martyrs of the Three Glorious Days and all the living heroes of that citizen revolution we humbly ask that you consider donating francs to the Foundation.

Signed the 25th of August 1830, Paris.
Duc Joachim-Philippe Lothaire de Lécuyer.
Christine de Lécuyer.

*This is not criticism of the government. We recognise the difficult position they currently find themself in, and wish to aid them and the people of France.

------

Following the announcement of the Foundation the mother of Joachim continued to give him instructions. He was mostly exhausted (and bored) from all the paper work that was needed to create this foundation and would rather play with his friends and chase girls, yet his mother insisted this was "of utmost importance". Joachim sat by his desk in his study room with his mother hanging over him like a hawk and more or less dictated what he was to write in the letters he sent.

((Letters to M.Duval and the Front Lécuyer @MadMartigan , M.Rotschild , @Davout , M.Descombes @naxhi24 , the Marquess and Marquise Armentières @etranger01 @Eid3r and M.Laffitte, M.Barrot, M.Thiers and M.Guizhot @99KingHigh ))

Dear Monsiuer,

Your effort during the Three Glorious Days and prior to it was indispensable to liberalism and all of France. Certainly you will continue on your clear course and your legacy will be enjoyed by the French for centuries to come.

In light of this you're humbly asked to support the Lécuyer Foundation financially or politically. To honor the sacrifices made by so many and to continue to provide help to the less unfortunate. You are of a great mind and character, and aid either in forms of donations or even administration would be greatly appreciated.

If you are of any question or remark please do not hesitate to reply. You managed to win the Revolution and prevent it from falling into chaos, now we must all secure its legacy.

With sincere appreciation,

(( PRIVATE - @ThaHoward ))

Letter from the Marquise of Armentières to the Duke of Lécuyer

Your Grace,

It is with the utmost relief that I greeted your most recent letter, indicating that you intend to follow-up in the footsteps of your late father and continue his lifelong crusade for the advent of liberalism in France. His dedication, and yours, to the plight of the common man do you great honour and it is with unabashed pleasure that I shall support your endeavour through the Lécuyer foundation.

I know of many ladies of good status whom might be interested in supporting such a cause, as you may know, it is a most common thing for us ladies to direct the heart of our husbands towards social causes worth supporting, and I am of the strong opinion that your new fundation might very well blossom into a great boon for France, both morally and socially. It would be my pleasure to arrange a meeting with several prospective supporters through my salon, at a time you will consider most just. However, this will come at the price of a small favour, for I long to see again your dearest mother, and I certainly hope she would consider attending.

Now, far from my intent, as a women scarcely versed into the management of moneys and fundation, to pretend to arcane knowledge in such matters, but experience has thaught me that the succes in attracting donation is often to obtain as an overarching patron a man of great stature and of instant credibility as to how the sums will be managed. Might I suggest that you approach someone to act in that effect, maybe a son of His Majesty, perhaps?

Finally, I will most gladly speak to my beloved husband about donating to your fundation, Alas, I myself have but little control over such financial dealings, but I know my husbands to be a most generous man and fully devoted to the memory, beliefs and actions of your late father.

Kindest regards,

Amélie Constance Félicité de Bourbon d’Arm

(( Private - @Michaelangelo ))

Letter from the Marquise of Armentières to the Prince of Guéméné

My dearest cousin,

It is with great joy in my heart that I welcomed the news or your arrival in the Capital, a most rare occasion given your propensity to remain away from the affairs of Paris in the splendid isolation of your Briton estates. While I can't hardly fault you for your love of the countryside, given that I flee to the peaceful and flowery sceneries of Belgium at the first occasion, I must point to you, in the most familial and amicable way, that I certainly expect a visit on your part in order for us to be reaquainted as cousins. When was the last time we have met? I believe I was a little girl of no more than ten years of age.

I would certainly appreciate to benefit from your insight on the current political situation, as you might know, my dear husband is a strong supporter of monarchical order against those who would revert our affairs to the ruinous state of the Revolution in the name of a disorderly Republic which would bring naught but misery and despair. It would be my greatest pleasure to acquaint you with my husband the Marquis, for I believe that you both share many opinions and will enjoy each others company.

It has also come to my attention that you have welcomed the arrival of a beautiful son and heir, a healthy babe delivered safely by whom is rumoured to be a lovely and ravishing young women. I certainly hope she will not remain confined into the dreary mists of Britanny - I have never grasped the full beauty of this land as you do - and will join you in Paris where it will be my pleasure to entertain her. My most heartfelt congratulations on this happy event.

With familial love,

Amélie Constance Félicité de Bourbon d'Armentières

To writer of the Journal de Normandie article about Financial Deregulation, I must object in regards to his disposition towards banks printing their own money. To all objections towards the idea of "Free Banking", the financial practice that the Repeal of The Law on the Assumption of Pecuniary Control aims to promote, I point to one nation (or, one part of a nation), Scotland. For the last one-hundred and fifteen years, Scotland has had a system in which major banks printed their own currency. Currently, Scotland is experiencing a highly stable and competitive banking industry, and is reaping the benefits of said stability and competition. It is no wonder that Scotland is quickly becoming one of the most prominent financial centers in the western world!

But it is not just Scotland that has had success with this practice. In Switzerland, the birthplace of modern banking as we know it, various Cantons are allowing their banks to print their own money, and to great success. In Sweden, the call for free banking may have convinced the government to adopt measures to deregulate the banks.

Indeed, even in France, the practice of free banking is not a foreign entity to the banking industry. One must realize that France had a period in which free banking was the major financial policy within the country. All reports indicate that it was highly stable and very popular among the French citizens.

It is no wonder then that many famous economists, including Adam Smith, have supported the notion of free banking, even defending it against critics! It works, dear author. It leads to stable banking and financial practices, has been shown to lead to economic vitality, and has been popular among people. The people do not want the government having a monopoly on their currency. It is inefficient, easy to manipulate by the powers that be in favor of those in power (a government monopoly on the printing of money would make more cronies than if the private sector had control), and could lead to instability in the financial sector. Why would a man in Lyon trust an institution in Paris handling his currency when his local bank in Lyon, the bank he trusts more so than some national institution weeks away, has the ability to handle it for him?

Free banking, like this regime as a whole, is a way forward into the future. Let us follow the example of our neighbors, and adopt a system that has been shown to be naught but beneficial to any nation that practices it.

-Alexandre Descombes in Response to Gautier's Article

JOURNAL DE NORMANDIE.

A Brief Reply

This would all be well and good if the very notion of free banking was not founded upon a selfish desire to remove competition and grant possession of our national finances to a select few - individuals such as M. Descombes, for instance. Without restricting control of national finances to the government, and instead ceding control to anti-republican conservatives,

The present pecuniary system is one in which the government is able to determine the quantity of currency publicly available - and in so doing, is able to ensure that it is dispensed properly. If the Law on Pecuniary Control is repealed, then, there will be two primary results: the destruction of the present, reformed system, and its replacement with an archaic design, forcing France to be placed beneath banks. This free-banking is not a mechanism by which the nation may prosper - only one by which a select few conservative banking families may do so.

As well, it should be noted that the more eminent historical center of banking, our northern neighbors, the Dutch, possess a government-controlled bank, the Nederlandsche Bank, which operates in a highly successful, coordinated fashion. Additional examples of a centralized system of mint and press authority include the Sveriges Riksbank and the Bank of England.

Pecuniary control possessed in the popular interest, operated through a central, publicly elected authority, is the best mechanism by which France may improve its financial situation and ensure prosperity. As well, it should he noted that the Law on the Assumption of Pecuniary Control does allow banks to print small notes representing their holdings.

GAUTIER.

Armentiéres directs his attention to the proposed amendments.

I have reviewed M. Barante's proposals. I see no reason to adopt his proposal regarding the electoral law, which would do harm to the cause of extending the franchise and reduce the general liberty. Though I am prepared to alter my proposal regarding education reform, in the interest of producing better legislation, I am not prepared to change the object of that legislation. As such, I submit to the Chamber a revised law on public education.

The Law on Public Education (1830)
I. The National Board of Education, previously known as the Royal Board of Education, shall be the general authority on education within France. Its membership shall consist of secular officials, appointed by the Minister of Public Education and confirmed by the King, as well as one clerical liaison appointed in the same manner. It shall be headed by a President nominated from among its membership and confirmed by the King. The National Board of Education shall be tasked with overseeing the primary schools, national colleges, academies, and universities of France.

Ia. Primary schools shall provide the basic level of education and be responsible for educating their students in reading, writing, and arithmetic.

Ib. Colleges, previously known as royal colleges, shall provide the middle level of education. They shall instruct their students in ancient Greek and Latin, history, rhetoric, logic and elements of mathematical and physical sciences for further education at the academies or universities, service at national colleges or primary schools, or for service to the Nation at large.

Ic. Academies shall provide the uppermost level of education, co-equal with universities and be charged with instructing their students in the sciences, engineering, mathematics, and industry. They shall be permitted autonomy over their curricula, so long as those curricula conform with basic standards set forth by the National Board of Education.

Id. Universities shall provide the uppermost level of education, co-equal with academies, and shall be charged with instructing their students in law, medicine, the humanities, and theology. They shall be permitted autonomy over their curricula, so long as those curricula conform with basic standards set forth by the National Board of Education.

II. The costs of educating the pupils of the public primary schools shall be borne by the Nation, unless that pupil should prematurely terminate his studies, at which point the pupil and his family shall be responsible for all previous costs. Enrollment in public primary school is not compulsory. Students at the public colleges, academies, and universities shall be responsible for their own cost of education unless otherwise provided for by law.

III. The composition of the public school faculties shall consist of secular instructors, each to teach subjects in accordance with their field of specialty. No teacher shall be permitted to teach within a public school should they lack accreditation in the field of teaching.

IV. Public schools which presently include clerical or ordained staff or instructors are to be placed under secular management, to cease hiring clerical or ordained instructors, and to gradually replace any and all clerical or ordained staff or instructors with secular officials, as such qualified individuals become available. The sole exceptions to this article are instructors of theology in the universities. This article shall override Article III where necessary. It shall elapse in ten years' time unless specifically renewed by the National Board of Education.

V. Private primary schools, colleges, and universities may be established and maintained using private funds. Such privately-maintained schools may be operated under alternative structures and curricula, so long as their curricula are acknowledged as fulfilling the needs of their pupils by the National Board of Education and their instructors have received accreditation in the field of teaching.

VI. The Law on the Education of the French People and all other conflicting laws and statutes are hereby abolished.

0gKYO95.png

M. le Président,

Would M. le Ministre de l’intérieur be receptive to a compromising alteration? I would ask that he revise Article IV for the avoidance of administrative stresses, along the following lines:

Public schools which presently include clerical or ordained staff or instructors are to be placed under secular management, and to gradually employ qualified secular instructors as they become available.
M. le Ministre de l’intérieur has also neglected to include by what management the local communes shall preside over the schools. I beg he consider the inclusion of a municipal committee to govern the schools, formed of the mayor, three secular municipal councillors, and the local priest.

Joachim had managed to escape his usual chores and was now outside of Paris bathing in the river and fishing. He and his friends jumped from a bridge and competed in who could have the coolest jumps. It was refreshing for Joachim to be a child again. His many tutors and his mom was busy organising this Foundation. In truth Joachim had just signed his name on the paper and trustd his mom and friends of his late father to do the whole thing. In theory he was the head of the family, however he was still a young boy and let his mother deal with family business and went to the sister of the King for education and personal tuiton. His mother and friends had taken up the contacts in these old proto-Orléanist committees to gain their support in the Foundation. Without his mother watching over him as a hungry hawk Joachim finally found some time to just be a child.

When he returned to Palais-Royale on of his servats notified him of he had recieved a letter from the Marquise of Armentières. Without his mother around he took upon the task of replying to the letter for himself. Of course it was supervises by one of his many tutors.

(( PRIVATE - @ThaHoward ))

Letter from the Marquise of Armentières to the Duke of Lécuyer

Your Grace,

It is with the utmost relief that I greeted your most recent letter, indicating that you intend to follow-up in the footsteps of your late father and continue his lifelong crusade for the advent of liberalism in France. His dedication, and yours, to the plight of the common man do you great honour and it is with unabashed pleasure that I shall support your endeavour through the Lécuyer foundation.

I know of many ladies of good status whom might be interested in supporting such a cause, as you may know, it is a most common thing for us ladies to direct the heart of our husbands towards social causes worth supporting, and I am of the strong opinion that your new fundation might very well blossom into a great boon for France, both morally and socially. It would be my pleasure to arrange a meeting with several prospective supporters through my salon, at a time you will consider most just. However, this will come at the price of a small favour, for I long to see again your dearest mother, and I certainly hope she would consider attending.

Now, far from my intent, as a women scarcely versed into the management of moneys and fundation, to pretend to arcane knowledge in such matters, but experience has thaught me that the succes in attracting donation is often to obtain as an overarching patron a man of great stature and of instant credibility as to how the sums will be managed. Might I suggest that you approach someone to act in that effect, maybe a son of His Majesty, perhaps?

Finally, I will most gladly speak to my beloved husband about donating to your fundation, Alas, I myself have but little control over such financial dealings, but I know my husbands to be a most generous man and fully devoted to the memory, beliefs and actions of your late father.

Kindest regards,

Amélie Constance Félicité de Bourbon d’Arm

Dear Marquise,

Your letter provide me with much relief and satisfaction. Your reply is found in good health here. I am most satisfied our two families can continue the strong bonds of the past.

Your favor will be granted. But please do not see this as a favor. My mother will attend to any of your meetings. The meetings in your salons have become some sort of legend, telling stories of your great wits and wisdom. Moreover I am certain my mother will benefit from resuming to normal life.

I am also to follow on your advise. Other great men have already been invited to advocate the Foundation, however your assessment is true. I will ask my guardian about the matter of introducing a Prince to the Foundation.

I am also grateful you will notify your husband. He's a man of great character and inspiration, and I hope he will continue his great work and actions for the juste milieu and liberalism.

With gratitude,

Joachim de Lécuyer.

------

Joachim felt some sort of pride within himself. For the first time it was he who truly had made a decision and not his mother. It was he who had decided that his mother should meet with the Marquise and to speak to his guardian, during their scheduled session, about introducing the son of the King to the Foundation. Of course it was conveniently ignored that these decisions were really not his, but that of another woman. But Joachim needed this little "victory" to not feel wholly dependant on his mother and his guardian.

Joachim met with Adélaïde for his usual tutelage. There he recieved his political and philosophical lectures and answers to questions he had on his mind. But by the end of it he also asked her that the next time she were to meet with her brother to give him advise, that she could also give a letter to his son Ferdinand Philippe.

((Private letter to Ferdinand Philippe @Cloud Strife ))

Your Royal Highness the Prince Royal,

Your deeds are many and you have my greatest respect and admiration. Especially for your bravery as commander of the 1st Hussar Regiment during the Three Glorious Days.

However I hope my appraisals won't make you barf, for I have a request to you. Have you seen the Foundation I have created? I hope it will take some relief off your great father's shoulders. I also hope you can attend to the Foundation in any capacity. As a figurehead or a donator. However I leave the decision up to you, but if you wish to partake I am more than willing, in fact honored, if you would take an active role. Perhaps it could also be renamed to what you wish to and it's purpose altered to your benefit. Please let me know what you think, and I hope this letter haven't caused you any harm or that you percieve it as rude.

Bonuses for Turn #1
A few notes on how bonuses have been distributed this turn. On account of the new regime, everyone's PP defaulted to 0. I then incorporated political power I believe gained throughout the turn, either through the Revolution, or (especially) during the legislative session. I've kept PP relatively low in this distribution, so don't look at the number independently, but comparatively. A general PP reduction to everyone means that PP-IC distribution during an election will almost certainly prove the deciding factor in any election, as opposed to the number of votes. All previous bonuses are removed.

I considered a "turn" to be from the last election to this one. So if you made a character since then, chances are you didn't get a bonus. It takes much to get a first turn bonus, and I only think two people received it. Fear not, keep ICing and my warm grace shall grant you love in bonus form.

Name: King Philippe VII (@Cloud Strife)
Bonus Name: His Majesty
Description: From New York french teacher to King of France, Orléans has gone the distance.
PP Bonus: Unknown to the public. But a lot higher than everyone else's bonus.
PP Note: The King, should he wish, may cast a secret ballot in a Private Message. There is always a chance he becomes associated dangerously with one faction, but his vote is also sufficient to sway much in a contested situation.

Name: Henri d'Armentières (@etranger01)
Bonus Name: Presidential Bastard
Description: As the true leader of the Ministry, the famed bastard is at the height of his power; will he consolidate his clout, or will it fade?
PP Bonus: +2 PP

Name: Thibaut Duval (@MadMartigan)
Bonus Name: Mouvement
Description: Duval's loyalties straddle the line of monarchy and republic. Just beyond the horizon is a monarchy surrounded with republican institutions.
PP Bonus: +1.5 PP

Name: Victor Durand (@TJDS)
Bonus Name: Figurehead
Description: Durand has lost some of his vigor and his former prowess, but he is not a persona to be underestimated, as history has shown.
PP Bonus: +1.25 PP

Name: Jacques-Charles Barante (@Jackbollda)
Bonus Name: Résistance
Description: A sharp orator, expert parliamentarian, and resolute conservative, Monsieur Barante has captured the conservative mood in the Orléanist ranks.
PP Bonus: +1.25 PP

Name: Jean Maximilien Lamarque (@baboushreturns)
Bonus Name: Rapid Republican
Description: The symbol of republican resistance to the new regime, Lamarque has somehow escaped from his insurrections without a scrape.
PP Bonus: +1 PP

Name: Esmé Merivée (@DensleyBlair)
Bonus Name: Renaissance Légitimiste
Description: A legal attorney, political theorist, and politician, M. Merivée has the potential to carry the standard of the exiled family in the June Monarchy.

Name: Claud Artaud (@Qwerty7)
Bonus Name: Liberal Ideologue
Description: Known for his liberal erudition, Artaud has taken an increasingly political role in the formation of the new regime.

Name: Marquess of Armentières (@Eid3r)
Bonus Name: Salon Archoness
Description: In a stroke of irony, Armentières' husband has deposed the old order of the Rue de Saint-Germain. Salon life is in rapid, perhaps inexorable, decay.
PP Bonus: +.75 PP

Name: Jakob Rothschild (@Davout)
Bonus Name: Absentee Financier
Description: Out of power, if tragically for a good cause, Rothschild is off to travel. [1]
PP Bonus: +.25

[1] Amusing, Rothschild was quite right from a historical perspective. All who accused him of anachronism were quite wrong; the July Monarchy paid stipends to Rabbis. Alas, we have a King of France, and not a King of the French, etc. :p

The following people cannot vote (they may vote in the next general election) on account of having no parliamentary constituency: @Dadarian @Shynka @MastahCheef117 @baboushreturns .

The following people cannot vote on account of being children: @ThaHoward @Sneakyflaps

Last edited:
Vicomte de Martignac

FJtJomO.jpg

...nothing could be more painful or more distasteful in the accusation against M. le duc de Saint-Aignan, than the statement attributed to him in the testimony of the last witness. M. le duc de Saint-Aignan groaned under the weight of the most serious accusation.

Each of the witnesses, pressed by his conscience, deposits facts of which he has no personal knowledge.

Happiness, or the truth which is a great happiness, has willed that no witness so far be the deposition of a fact which has come to his personal knowledge, which was connected with the immediate direct participation of M. le duc de Saint-Aignan in the misfortunes. And, for the first time, he is accused of one of these words, uttered without any necessity, and fatality does not allow him to clarify this fact. The witness is too honest a man, Too loyal to say that he himself has heard this; he has it from another, and my hope is that this person should be in a foreign country. I recommend this observation has to the consciousness of the man...

...we know that M. Armentiéres has made some great accusations, but what is the merit of one monarchy to accuse another, founded on an independent base, judging the past, and pleading for mercy; shedding the blood of the past will open a laceration that generations will not heal...

...illegality in his actions are not asserted; any attempt to prosecute a person would not have been contradictory to the laws governing the previous monarchy, assuming that the ordinances were legal, of which I believe they were, if highly inappropriate...

M. Persil
Procurer Général

... with respect to the argument advanced by my honorable colleague, I do not consider M. le duc de Conegliano's resignation after the fact to be exculpatory. A common thread runs through the defense of M. le duc and his colleagues; to whit, that their actions could not be illegal because they were only doing their duty in good conscience. We of course know this not to be the case, for such learned men are to be expected to know their duty under the national constitution to which the former occupant of the Throne swore his oath. However, even that stratagem further indicts M. le duc.

You see, by counter-signing the ordinances, M. le duc commits a great infamy, a crime against the people of France. But by resigning his ministry afterwards, he attempts to evade his responsibility for the infamy. Tacitly, through the act of resignation, he acknowledges his culpability in the crime while doing nothing to absolve himself of its stain...

... we must consider this prosecution to be an act of healing, akin to the cutting-out of a tumorous growth that has long afflicted the patient that is the Nation. How can we proceed forward with the grim specter of past misdeeds hanging over us? The crimes of these ministers are the last decayed link in the chain binding France to a tyrannical past. We must sever it, with all due haste...

... the former occupant of the Throne knew his duty to the constitution, or should have been informed of such by loyal ministers, but was instead advised by men who sought to impose a new tyranny. Eager to seize power, the former occupant and his ministers ignored the limits on the power of ordinances to restore absolutism and stifle the liberty that was established in a solemn oath before God. Those ministers who were honored as Peers were party to that ceremony, and they should have been bound by conscience and memory to oppose such actions...

((Letter to M.Descombes @naxhi24))

Dear Monsiuer,

Your effort during the Three Glorious Days and prior to it was indispensable to liberalism and all of France. Certainly you will continue on your clear course and your legacy will be enjoyed by the French for centuries to come.

In light of this you're humbly asked to support the Lécuyer Foundation financially or politically. To honor the sacrifices made by so many and to continue to provide help to the less unfortunate. You are of a great mind and character, and aid either in forms of donations or even administration would be greatly appreciated.

If you are of any question or remark please do not hesitate to reply. You managed to win the Revolution and prevent it from falling into chaos, now we must all secure its legacy.

A Letter to the Duc de Lécuyer ((@ThaHoward))

Your Excellency.

I am most honored to have received a letter from you. While I did not have the pleasure to meet your late father, tales about his exploits and sacrifice in the name of liberty have made me respect and admire him as a hero. The Lécuyer seems like a very amicable pursuit. I witnessed first-hand the men fighting on the barricades during the Three Glorious Days, and I fell your excellency's request to support the family's of the fallen is one that is filled with pious and noble intent. As such, Descombes and Company shall pledge fifty-thousand francs to the Lécuyer Foundation. We hope that these funds find their way into the hands of the families who deserve our support.

-Alexandre, Baron Descombes

Last edited:
Onwards to Chantilly

The Baron of Feuchères had declined the offer of Philippe’s older brother, not that this was a surprise to anyone considering the rather heated debate between the two of them at court. As much as Philippe would have to speak with his brother on his own, that was not to be, at least not yet. And as Philippe and his stepfather had packed their bags in the house Adrien had rented in Paris, it also came to Philippe’s knowledge that they would not be going to Ecouen after all.

Adrien tried to excuse it by telling Philippe it would do him good to see other parts of France, so they chose Chantilly, but Philippe could see through it. Adrien wanted to get as far away from Paris as possible, and while Chantilly was still fairly close, only around 60 kilometers away, it was around twice as far away as Ecouen.

Philippe was not exactly ecstatic about going to Chantilly instead of Ecouen, but it was one of his properties and the old seat of his house, an in truth he had never been there before. Condé had often spoken about it, telling Philippe the old stories. How a butler in service to the Grand Condé had committed suicide because the fish was late to a dinner in honour of Louis XIV. Or how the great Chantilly stood proud and tall, the great hunts and the massive forests and the sheer size of the estate. Not to mention the Great Stables that Philippe’s great grandfather had built back in the early 18th century.

But as their carriage arrived at Chantilly, there was really only one thing which met Philippe, and that was plain disappointment. Most of the Château was in ruins, with only a wing or two were in conditions fit for living with the remainder still having to be rebuilt and made anew. It was quite a poor place for a home, but sadly it was not his choice to stay here. There was some glory about the name, Chantilly, that great home, the great opulent home of the Princes of Condé. The current building, was however nothing like that, it needed work and a lot of it.

Philippe’s father, the last Prince of Condé, had made several renovations. In truth it was due to him that these two wings were in proper conditions to live in. He had also built the English Garden but apart from that he had left Chantilly much to its own. Philippe’s grandfather had also done minor touches, such as ensuring the foundation of the building and removing any water damage. But overall neither of them had done much to rebuild their once glorious home, they had largely left it to rot. Neither of them had ever seemed to have the will or the energy to take on such a project. Perhaps that was why they had not done, and perhaps that was why Philippe had never been at Chantilly before now, his father seemed to largely have given up on it. He had left Philippe with fairytales and glorious history, but not an actual building, and now it was to be his home.

But despite its disappointing appearance to Philippe it was clear there was more too it. The long approach between the actual house and the gate, the massive building in the background which Adrien pointed out to Philippe was the grand stable for the horses, making Philippe laugh. The Grand Stables seemed more like a palace. Perhaps this was not to be too bad after all, and when Philippe stepped out of the carriage he saw another welcomed surprise, Richard, his father’s butler, greeting them as they arrived.

And true to Richard’s style, the first thing he did was apologize to the Baron that the house was as of yet not ready, but they would be fully functioning in a day or two. Adrien just nodded in turn, he had expected nothing else considering the short notice everyone was given that they would be coming here instead of Ecouen. Philippe was mainly happy that a friendly face was here to greet him, rather than yet another stranger.

As Adrien entered the Château with Philippe in tow, it felt so bare. It still lacked furniture, there were barely any paintings and most sculptures where gone. The only one of proper note that Philippe saw was the one of the Grand Condé, and it was just a single bust. Philippe knew that the art had been taken during the revolution, and while portions had been recovered, almost none of it had been returned here. It would take a lot of work to make this a proper home, to return it the glory of his ancestors and cement his own mark on his new home.

------------------------------

Letter to Joachim de Lécuyer (private - @ThaHoward)

Joachim,

Im afraid I must disappoint you. Following the summons to court by His Majesty the King, my mother’s husband, the Baron of Feuchères, and my older brother did not exactly get along, and in truth my mother’s husband was most eager to be rid of Paris and not have to endure it any further. We departed the following morning in a much greater hurry than we ever arrived.

As such I doubt that I shall have the pleasure of meeting you or your sister for any foreseeable future as I very much doubt that the Baron has any interest to return to Paris. I do in fact remember your sister as well, but not that she looked at me funny, perhaps my collar was sat wrong or my jacket looked odd.

As for the academy in Austria, they were very strict and very formal. But the teachers were good, they knew what they were doing and were most excellent in their ways. Some of the cadets were a real pain to deal with but I guess that happens on every path one takes in life. It shall have its ups and downs, much like the Greeks in their tales of fortune and happiness explains to us. If one is in far too deep misery, it only meant that the God of fortune would bless one with happiness and good luck. Perhaps that is why we have both been rewarded, you with a ducal title, and me with the restoration of my father’s will and the return of my properties and wealth.

It seems I am to live at Chantilly now, the old seat of my father’s princely family. It used to be quite spectacular I am told, though sadly most was burned down during the revolution and will now need to be rebuilt. My mother’s husband and I are forced to live in only a smaller part of the château. But hopefully before long I can return to my studies, if not in Austria then at the École Spéciale Militaire de Saint-Cyr.

But do greet your family, your brothers, sisters and mother and give them my deepest sympathies over their loss.

Philippe​

tdAd32S.png

A Trial
The Orleanists, like the Charlesists before them, have gone against Les Hommes. All that was wished was the removal of a few individuals, anti-Revolutionaries that sought to influence the cause with their Judaic influence, no doubt the originators of the idea of the continuation of the throne under Charles XI and the creators of the Eunuch Ministry. Alas, as is their way they escaped rightful retribution and arose to the highest forms of government, and pulled strings to abduct the Grandmaster in the night.

With the trial of the Ministers being held, it was no doubt in the minds of Les Hommes that the Grandmaster was an afterthought, a simple post-Revolutionary purge of dissent. During the uproarious times of the questioning of Sully and Saint Aignan and the others, Grandmaster de Brye would be found guilty on all counts without defense and released from his earthy tether by the point of an executioner's guillotine, or even the noose of one's rope. Either way, the cause of de Brye, much like the Revolution, was lost.

But one needed to carry on. Even in the wake of constant failure and disappointment, in the wake of consecutive hostile administrations and a lack of royal support, Les Hommes was to continue along as always. For the bedrock of failure was not in the process of quitting, but of climbing atop of insurmountable opposition and claiming their rightful place in the pantheon of righteous fighters.

As a result, no money was provided for de Brye's defense, no excuses provided. He would be a martyr for the cause, a man whom gave his life on a chance for a Republic and accepted the ultimate consequences for his poor decisions. Les Hommes prepared for another election for Grandmaster, sadly within a year of de Brye's. However it goes as it goes, and the punishment for failure under a hostile regime is often painful to the fullest.

Armentiéres accedes to Barante's request, seeing no good reason why not, and produces a final revision of his education proposal, thanks be to God.

The Law on Public Education (1830)
I. The National Board of Education, previously known as the Royal Board of Education, shall be the general authority on education within France. Its membership shall consist of secular officials, appointed by the Minister of Public Education and confirmed by the King, as well as one clerical liaison appointed in the same manner. It shall be headed by a President nominated from among its membership and confirmed by the King. The National Board of Education shall be tasked with overseeing the primary schools, national colleges, academies, and universities of France.

Ia. Primary schools shall provide the basic level of education and be responsible for educating their students in reading, writing, and arithmetic.

Ib. Colleges, previously known as royal colleges, shall provide the middle level of education. They shall instruct their students in ancient Greek and Latin, history, rhetoric, logic and elements of mathematical and physical sciences for further education at the academies or universities, service at national colleges or primary schools, or for service to the Nation at large.

Ic. Academies shall provide the uppermost level of education, co-equal with universities and be charged with instructing their students in the sciences, engineering, mathematics, and industry. They shall be permitted autonomy over their curricula, so long as those curricula conform with basic standards set forth by the National Board of Education.

Id. Universities shall provide the uppermost level of education, co-equal with academies, and shall be charged with instructing their students in law, medicine, the humanities, and theology. They shall be permitted autonomy over their curricula, so long as those curricula conform with basic standards set forth by the National Board of Education.

II. The costs of educating the pupils of the public primary schools shall be borne by the Nation, unless that pupil should prematurely terminate his studies, at which point the pupil and his family shall be responsible for all previous costs. Enrollment in public primary school is not compulsory. Students at the public colleges, academies, and universities shall be responsible for their own cost of education unless otherwise provided for by law.

III. The composition of the public school faculties shall consist of secular instructors, each to teach subjects in accordance with their field of specialty. No teacher shall be permitted to teach within a public school should they lack accreditation in the field of teaching.

IV. Public schools which presently include clerical or ordained staff or instructors are to be placed under secular management, and to gradually employ qualified secular instructors as they become available.

V. Private primary schools, colleges, and universities may be established and maintained using private funds. Such privately-maintained schools may be operated under alternative structures and curricula, so long as their curricula are acknowledged as fulfilling the needs of their pupils by the National Board of Education and their instructors have received accreditation in the field of teaching.

VI. The Law on the Education of the French People and all other conflicting laws and statutes are hereby abolished.

I withdraw my education amendments.

(( Private - @99KingHigh ))

Letter from the Marquise of Armentières to the Baron of Feuchères

Your Grace,

The brevity of your stay in the Capital leads me to suspect that the rumoured meeting with the King was not conducted in a satisfactory fashion. It is my deepest hope that the recent event had not led to the creation of a deplorable rift inside our family. Let me first begin this letter by stating that, as a woman, I share no part in the legalistic discussions in which you were embroiled quite recently, these matters are simply out of reach to us women. However, the continuation and strenghtening of familial bonds falls squarely into the domain of the feminine, for our fairer sex is blessed with the gentler touch in those matters.

Bearing nothing but good will toward your family, and hoping profoundly to effect rapprochement between Philippe and his enlarged family, I hereby sollicit your goodwill and permission to visit Chantilly, together with my children, for them to be officially presented to their uncle, a gathering which has been much delayed. As the children are now forming their first lasting memories, it is my humble desire that they remember their good uncle from this tender age and so forth.

Kindly accept the expression of my highest regards,

FROM THE MEMOIRS OF M. LE COMTE D'ARTAGNAN: RELATED TO THE REIGN OF KING PHILIPPE THE SEVENTH

Chapter Three, in which Monsieur d'Artagnan drowns in both Boredom and Duty, but still manages to write two Letters

".... I must note that I have found the next weeks I had to spend near Paris exceedingly boring. While I, upon the orders of the Duc de Chartres (now the Dauphin), rejoined the First Hussars, my duties were mainly limited to patroliing and policing the countryside or executing the usual functions of the squadron commander. Paris was at the time fuming because of the scandalous trial of the Ministers - but for me, alas, after the intense campaign in Algeria, the new life seemed quote dull.

This is how I usually planned my day:

Standing up in the morning, I ate a healthy meal - usually an omellette with ham and basil - and washed it down with half a bottle of Burgundy wine, some coffee and hot scons following. The apartment I rented at rue de la Huchette was in a house owned by a most charming widow of a salt merchant - twenty-six years of age, blond and quite well-shaped. Soon I took to sharing the bedchamber with her and, due to our mutual sympathy, the services of her kitchen were always available to me, even when my purse was quite thin.

Then, in 9AM, the aide-de-campe of the squadron, Lieutenant Langenot, came to me with the report, followed by the commanding officers of all three companies within my detachment. Then I inspected each of the companies, and, once in two days, proceeded to the squadron drill, which usually took from two to four hours.

The schedule was usually the same that I worked out for my squadron before departing, as a volunteer, to Algeria. On the sound of the bugle, trotting, marching and galloping, both by platoons, by echelons, by columns and by squads. Swifly halting and changing formations upon command, right wheeling and left wheeling, drawing sabres and then sheathing them, counter-marching and changing front, and so on. Such maneuveres performed again and again created the perfect rhytm and spirit of obedience and cooperation within the squadron. The drills helped to restore the sense of discipline, that, I must confess, was damaged by the participation of the Chartres Hussars in the Three Days and their fraternizing with the citizens.

I must note that even some officers, in the jubilance and agitation of the revolution, started to forget about their duties. One of them, sous-lieutenant Marchand, a son of a notary from Rennes, a new arrival, had complained to me after one of the drills, when both him and his men ended covered in dirt from their boots to shoulders. He voiced the opinion that such "movements", as he called them, were not important at "real war", but only diromg parades. I had to reprimand him most severely, reminding that such maneuvering builds character and ability to swifly follow orders, which would save the lives of his soldiers in the future battles. He was, in the end, ashamed of himself. In the future he would prove to be a fine officer and lose his life fighting the enemies of France - but of this I would tell in another part of these Memoirs.

Both before, during and after the drill I had to send, following the orders from the colonel, some of my hussars on patrol duties. I must note that, while Paris was rejoicing, in many parts of the countryside of the Seine department the local landowners were quite overcome with the fear of the Verdet violence they have heard off. I had seen some of them bombard our headquarters with quite unreasonable pleas to send whole units to guard their manors - that were not, one might note, threatened at the moment. I did understand their worries, though - at that point of time we could not know, if the enthronement of the Duc de Orleans as King Philip VII would put a stop to the disorders or new rebellions would follow.

We simply had to wait and do what we are ordered.

Aside from that much of my duties were tedious administrative toil, related to the procurement of wheat for the horses, the paperwork and various disciplinary issues regarding the hussars.

I, as ever. enjoyed fine relationships with the officers of my squadron, so in the evening I usually supped with them, sometimes also playing a friendly game of baccarat. Captain de Chaignon told us anecdotes from his homeland, Normandy. Lieutenant Senlois had a good voice and sometimes, when we continously asked him, he would agree to sing La Victoire Est a Nou. Captain Fanfaroux often entertained us with stories about his numerous amorous adventures, usually ending with him jumping out of someones window.

These gatherings livened up my days, otherwise long and tiring.

I also took notice of the political affairs. The Durand Ministry has proposed quite a number of laws to the two Chambers. Most of them, it seems, had the aim to get rid of what was considered the most odious Ultraroyalist inheritance and restore the liberal financial acts passed during the Presidency of the Duc de Valence. The proposal that quite surprised me was the educational bill, which has, in fact, forbidden the schools to hire clergymen as teachers and allowed such to act only as theology professors within the universities. First of all, I doubted that this proposal corresponded with the principle set both by the Charter of 1814 and of 1830 - of everybody being admissible for civil employment. Secondly, I overall questioned the prudence of the measure - many learned paedogogues in our Realm were ordained priests, and to refuse to accept their services due to the anticlerical sentiments may have been unwise.

However, since I was not a father yet (at least, knowingly), the reform perhaps bothered me less than others.

However, I also could not stop thinking of what my patron, the Prince of Bauffremont, had told me. I was already thirty-three years old and I have spent more than fifteen years in the Army. Perhaps it was time to move forward. I needed to make a name for myself and to get married to a woman of station and means, one worthy of the House of Batz de Castelmore. However, I did understand one thing. Unless there was a war or I got the command of a regiment and then a brigade soon, I could have spent nother decade in the ranks, peacetime promotions often being quite slow. I once again considered the idea of my patron - perhaps I should serve France in another field, the field of politics? His offer to assist me with money was surely tempting.

And yet... yet the habit of an army life, my love for honor and discipline connected with it, were still very strong. I also did have a hope that now, when my Colonel was the heir to the Throne, we, the officers of the Chartres Hussars, would get more opportunities.

Thus, I continued to execute my duties. Wishing, however, to somehow make some changes to this overall tedious existence, I wrote two letters - one to a young officer recently transferred to our regiment and another to an old Marshal recently appointed to the Royal General Staff..."

To Marechal Jean-de-Dieu Soult, Duc de Dalmatie ((@Maxwell500 -Private))​

Your Excellency,

While it may be found unappropriate for a much more junior officer like myself to write a personal letter to a Marechal of France, especially one so acclaimed, I do dare to do so upon insistence of a man who is as much as my second father, Prince Alexandre Emmanuel Louis de Bauffremont-Courtenay. The Prince de Bauffremont, when I have last visited him in his chateaut in Haute-Saone, has informed me that he is acquainted with you since the times of Bonaparte, when he was the president of an electoral college, and then associated with you both in 1814, when you have served as the Minister of War to His Most Christian Majesty, King Louis XVIII, and then, since 1825, in the Chamber of Peers, where you both sit. Therefore, hearing that you are returning to Paris, he asked me to deliver you a letter from him and also personally convey his greetings.

If you would find it appropriate, I would visit you at the time comfortable for Your Excellency. I must say that, while I have served in both the Spanish campaign and Algerian expedition, it would have been of great honor to me to talk with an officer of superior military experience.

I most faithfully remain,

Gabriel-Constantin de Batz de Castelmore, Comte d'Artagnan

To Henri-Auguste-Georges du Vergier, Marquis de La Rochejacquelein ((@Fingon888 - Private))
M. le Marquis,

It has been a great pleasure for me to hear that a scion of a distinguished family has recently, upon the orders of His Royal Highness, our Colonel, has joined the ranks of the 1st Hussar Regiment. It is even more commendable that a young man has exchanged the luxuries of a life as a Peer of France for the armor of Mars.

As a senior officer of our glorious Regiment, I believe it is important that the ties of companionship exist among the comrades-at-ams and, since we did not have the honor of being acquainted before, I invite you to dine with me this Friday, at two o'clock, rue de la Huchette, 12.

If this would be convenient for you, please respond.

Sincerely yours,
Gabriel-Constantin de Batz de Castelmore, Comte d'Artagnan,
Commandant, First Hussar Regiment

Last edited:
Paris, France

The trip to Paris had been uneventful, and the stay equally so. Louis had rented a small room upon his arrival, for he had no residence in Paris and didn't want to waste his funds on anything too extravagant. It was cozy and modest, if a tad below his station, but his financial circumstances warranted such choices. His first task upon arriving in the capital was to do a thorough investigation of his family's finances. Things looked fairly bleak. His main sources of income were what could be made from what small estates he had left, as well as the reparations being given to him by the government for the loss of the rest of his family's lands. With the Chambers considering getting rid of the reparations, that left Louis and his family in dire straits. If he lost the reparations, he would lose a significant source of his income. He doubted it would ruin him, but it would certainly make life very difficult.

Then there were the debts he owed to the various people his grandfather had swindled to pay off his own debts. Louis had never expected he'd have to deal with this, for the Revolution and passage of time surely should have scared them all away. Apparently his reappearance in Paris had drawn too much attention. He was fortunate enough that most of the debts had been paid off by family members, and thus little or nothing was expected in return. The others outside his family were another matter. Based on his calculations, he had enough funds to pay them all off, but it would leave his family in near destitution. If the reparations ended, financial recovery would be unlikely. He could sell some of his lands near Montbazon, but that would lower any future income. He'd prefer to use that as a last resort.

Perhaps a gamble was necessary. A loan could provide the funds necessary to pay off the family debts. He'd exchange one debt for another. However, it would buy him some time. If the reparations were continued, even for a bit longer, he could gather enough funds to pay off the loan. If they ended instead, he'd have no choice but to sell more of his lands to pay it off and accept that he'd be living modestly for the remainder of his life. He did not like such uncertainty, but he wanted to ensure he could provide a good life for his wife and son, as well as his future child.

A smile crossed Louis's face as a pulled out the letter he had received from his wife Belle this morning, telling him the wonderful news of her pregnancy. Their passionate farewell the night before his departure would apparently lead to another child. He loved his son dearly and knew he would love his latest child just as much. It did complicate Belle's eventual trip to Paris. It would not be wise for her to travel too late in her pregnancy, and Louis did not particularly want her to have the baby in Paris. He had once loved the city as a child, but now it seemed scarred, a shell of its former self, ravaged by revolution. Most likely she would remain in Guémené until the child was born and ready to travel. He'd make certain he returned home in time for the birth.

As Louis put the letter back down, he turned to the other one he had received this morning from his cousin. He had not expected anyone to take note of his return to Paris, yet alone care enough to reach out to him. He had barely shown his face in the Peers and hadn't spoken a word, wanting to get a feel of what was going on before diving in. He supposed there was no better way to dive in then to make acquaintances with family and his associates. Louis grabbed some paper and began to write.

(( Private - @Michaelangelo ))

Letter from the Marquise of Armentières to the Prince of Guéméné

My dearest cousin,

It is with great joy in my heart that I welcomed the news or your arrival in the Capital, a most rare occasion given your propensity to remain away from the affairs of Paris in the splendid isolation of your Briton estates. While I can't hardly fault you for your love of the countryside, given that I flee to the peaceful and flowery sceneries of Belgium at the first occasion, I must point to you, in the most familial and amicable way, that I certainly expect a visit on your part in order for us to be reaquainted as cousins. When was the last time we have met? I believe I was a little girl of no more than ten years of age.

I would certainly appreciate to benefit from your insight on the current political situation, as you might know, my dear husband is a strong supporter of monarchical order against those who would revert our affairs to the ruinous state of the Revolution in the name of a disorderly Republic which would bring naught but misery and despair. It would be my greatest pleasure to acquaint you with my husband the Marquis, for I believe that you both share many opinions and will enjoy each others company.

It has also come to my attention that you have welcomed the arrival of a beautiful son and heir, a healthy babe delivered safely by whom is rumoured to be a lovely and ravishing young women. I certainly hope she will not remain confined into the dreary mists of Britanny - I have never grasped the full beauty of this land as you do - and will join you in Paris where it will be my pleasure to entertain her. My most heartfelt congratulations on this happy event.

With familial love,

((Private - @Eid3r))

Amélie,

I have indeed strayed from Paris for too long, although I find it leaves a foul taste in my mouth these days compared to the isolated splendour of Bretagne. You are too young to remember its beauty during the days prior to the Revolution, but it still lives on in my childhood memories. Revolution and constant strife has damaged our fair capital. Your fair presence within the city certainly serves as a light within the darkness. We shall have to become reacquainted sometime in the near future.

I have met your husband previously at the wondrous ball you held what seems like ages ago, although I'm afraid the meeting was brief and I was unable to make time to speak with you. His actions during recent events in Paris speak highly of his character. It is perhaps due to him that raving madmen are not heralding in a new republic. I am always glad to aid the cause of the monarchy, although I still find the current circumstances unsettling. I admit that I am not as familiar with His Majesty, Philippe VII, and do not know what to expect from his rule. I fear that the continued existence of the main Bourbon line and especially the questionable abdication or abandonment of the throne by Henri V will forever harm his rule. This new government will find many enemies on both the left and the right. As for myself, I shall always desire peace and stability above all else, and I pray our new king can finally provide it.

I'm afraid that my beloved Belle will not be joining me in Paris for some time. I have just received news that we are expecting another child, and I find the fresh country air is better for a newborn babe. Once the child is born and she is ready to travel, it will be my pleasure to introduce her to you.

- Louis de Rohan, Prince de Guémené

((Private - @naxhi24))

To the representative of Descombes and Company, Alexandre Descombes,

I am contacting you this day to assist me with a matter of dire need. I have need of a loan, and I have heard that your bank has proven most amiable towards the plight of the nobility in the past. For my purposes, I require a loan of one million francs. I am aware that this is no small sum, but I pray that it is not outside the realm of possibility for you to provide. I must admit that I am not familiar with the process of acquiring a loan, and I am certain you meet many others like me of the similar vein. If you are open to offering up such a loan, I look forward to making said arrangements with you.

I can assure you that you should not fear me defaulting on this loan. I do possess the means to repay the amount if necessary, but such would likely irreparably damage any future income for me and my family. I would prefer to seek other methods of procuring the funds, but I would never deign to cheat an honest businessman.

If this is all agreeable to you and your bank, I shall make myself available to sign all the necessary paperwork.

- Louis de Rohan, Prince de Guémené