• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Prince eadward started a faction for Wales? Well...I guess if the king is going for an empire that's probably fine, actually almsotly certainly what he would have to do anyway (delegate at least one kingdom's worth of vassals, might as well make it the smallest and weakest kingdom and his own brother as its king). If it makes him happy too, then what of it? The two men need to meet, talk about what they both want and figure out a plan but so far at least, in game terms as well as in story, both their goals are workable and capable of coexisting.

Edit: I dint see what's wrong with base game runs if that's what the author wants to do. After all, we all play with different versions, with mods or not, with cheats or not, with however much dlc we want (or can afford...it's something like seventy quid to get a decent chunk of dlc these days without a sale). So long as the author is upfront about what they are doing (generally at the start of their aar) then there is no real problem.
Especially this sort of AAR, which is narrative driven, perhaps even more than what's happening gameplay wise because it doesn't really matter what the game does. Only what coz says is happening and why. Character piece.

Some of the dlc, especially the later stuff, wreaks havoc with individual characters and makes them even more likely to die at random (which seems good but from a narrative standpoint is nightmarishly awful most of the time). The only dlc I can think of that might improve this story in some way might be the one that adds more depth to councils because it's clearly going to be a big thing in the story. Then again, having the game tell you what the characters are going to do forces the story down narrower passages and again removes control from the author.

Last edited:
I have a question, why do you always play in outdated ck2? Sorry, but it is one of my pet peeves, seeing that you can't fully enjoy all of the features of ck2.
You may not have intended to sound so, but the tone of your post is rather ... off. The words "peeve" and "outdated" in particular.

A better question would have been, "I am curious, why do not play with any of the dlc?" - a value-neutral question with none of the negative connotations.

Besides, the base game of CK2 is hardly outdated, and whilst the base game does lack certain extra features it remains a very full game nonetheless. As @TheButterflyComposer mentions, you might as well complain that a writAAR is not using a particular mod.

Fb-fb:

A rather precarious situation indeed, and one or two signs of discord in the Council. As yet, though, they remain united in wishing to see the realm safe for Uhtræd's arrival.

Eadwerd seems to be growing, too.
It is a rather tough slog for Eadward. All the work of a King and yet, he does not have the title. And indeed, there is some discord - Eadward v. Brice, Skuli v. Æthelmær (sort of) - but you are correct. If nothing else, they are united in wanting to put Uhtræd safely on the throne.

I've been sensing a certain tension between Prince Eadward and Mayor Brice for a while now. Let us hope it doesn't end up derailing both of them from their appointed tasks as royal advisors; in particular, I think Eadward might be just a little over-sensitive to those who would challenge his competence, whether the challenge be real or perceived.
As Eadgar noted previously, Eadward feels the need to work twice as hard due to this perception. And he is a bit over-worked during this period. (A bit??) He has regretted his pick of Brice since practically day one, likely because the Mayor is quite good at his job and threatens, to a point, Eadward's full influence.

Prince Edward for Wales eh? I wonder if that last sentence is the forerunner for such ambitions? We shall see. A good exposition chapter setting the scene for there's no time as dangerous as the gap between kings!
Indeed, I was quite shocked when that happened. Part of it is a game mechanic - when I moved to primogeniture, all others in line took on a negative qualifier towards the ruling King. So Uhtræd comes into this already down a peg in his relations. I have not stated in story, but you may note that at this moment in-game, Eadward's opinion of his brother is in the red. That made little sense to me given how I have built these characters, so instead I chalked it up to stress. Thus, it might make some sense for the Prince to explore the possibility of ruling in Wales where he is well known and is known to have certain preoccupations there. ;)

I have a question, why do you always play in outdated ck2? Sorry, but it is one of my pet peeves, seeing that you can't fully enjoy all of the features of ck2.
First of all, welcome aboard! :) I hope you enjoy the story.

Secondly, I will attempt to answer your peeve as best as I am able. I doubt you will like it much if you wish me to use the DLCs because I have no intention to do so at any time soon. As I have stated previously, I would like to explore some or all of them, but as I started this game with vanilla and it is the basis of what is now a rather long work, I do not wish to take any risk in messing up what is the spine of this tale. Further, the game itself is rather incidental to the piece. You will not learn any gameplay strategies from this or the previous AAR and though I utilize the screenshots to give the piece some visual flavor and connection to the game, I have always intended the game itself to be fully buried under the weight of the characters within.

By your join date of 2015, I will presume that you have likely not read any of my previous narrative works. Into the West was a 20 year odyssey built around a mere three years of gameplay during the American Civil War (played in Victoria) and The Eagle in Winter was based on only two months of gameplay (in the original CK) as the events of those two months was sufficient to built out what became a novella. While I enjoy these games very much (and have since prior to my join date in 2002) what I enjoy far more is the writing aspect that we do here in AARland. When I write a narrative AAR, I use the events in whatever game I play as a challenge...how may I turn that into a believable character beat. The game itself is merely a spine...a skeleton...a place to begin as I start to fill in the full structure on top that gives the whole story its plots and themes. I have done plenty of game play AARs in the past, and there I would agree - it would be more beneficial to use an up-to-date game model if for no other reason, potential reader interest. Here, it really doesn't matter what game is used (to me) and in truth, no game is truly necessary. I have now written over 500 pages in Word format and over 60+ pages of forum length to tell what is roughly 55 years of history. What I wish to do is write a story. A believable story and one that uses the twists of the game to make it alternate, but not one that goes so widely divergent that it makes it difficult to explain.

Finally, I would agree with @stnylan below when he suggests that the original build of CKII is a perfectly suitable version of the game. Having been around these parts for many years, I have lived through multiple patches for the early games that changed them every time and made it difficult for everyone to remain on the same page as we told our tales, and then later the DLCs that took over for patches and did the same. I payed good money for the original and since I do not really play the game itself that often, I saw no reason to continue to pay good money for yet one more iteration of the same game. I may, in future. And I may write on one or all. But for this story, I began in Vanilla and in Vanilla is where I will end. I am sorry if it is a pet peeve of yours but there is little I can do about that. I can only hope that you might look past it and enjoy the story built around the "outdated" version as that is my entire focus. Hope that makes sense to you. I definitely appreciate the comment @Z-Z-Z though as stated, I cannot promise that my explanation answers fully your concerns. Give it a chance, hopefully. :)

Prince eadward started a faction for Wales? Well...I guess if the king is going for an empire that's probably fine, actually almsotly certainly what he would have to do anyway (delegate at least one kingdom's worth of vassals, might as well make it the smallest and weakest kingdom and his own brother as its king). If it makes him happy too, then what of it? The two men need to meet, talk about what they both want and figure out a plan but so far at least, in game terms as well as in story, both their goals are workable and capable of coexisting.

Edit: I dint see what's wrong with base game runs if that's what the author wants to do. After all, we all play with different versions, with mods or not, with cheats or not, with however much dlc we want (or can afford...it's something like seventy quid to get a decent chunk of dlc these days without a sale). So long as the author is upfront about what they are doing (generally at the start of their aar) then there is no real problem.
Especially this sort of AAR, which is narrative driven, perhaps even more than what's happening gameplay wise because it doesn't really matter what the game does. Only what coz says is happening and why. Character piece.

Some of the dlc, especially the later stuff, wreaks havoc with individual characters and makes them even more likely to die at random (which seems good but from a narrative standpoint is nightmarishly awful most of the time). The only dlc I can think of that might improve this story in some way might be the one that adds more depth to councils because it's clearly going to be a big thing in the story. Then again, having the game tell you what the characters are going to do forces the story down narrower passages and again removes control from the author.
Thank you for the latter portion, Butterfly. And should we go down that route, you are right. Placing Eadward in Wales would only serve the King well if the realm grows that large. We are not there yet. I definitely agree - when Uhtræd finally returns home, there will need to be a meeting of the minds so everyone is on the same page.

You may not have intended to sound so, but the tone of your post is rather ... off. The words "peeve" and "outdated" in particular.

A better question would have been, "I am curious, why do not play with any of the dlc?" - a value-neutral question with none of the negative connotations.

Besides, the base game of CK2 is hardly outdated, and whilst the base game does lack certain extra features it remains a very full game nonetheless. As @TheButterflyComposer mentions, you might as well complain that a writAAR is not using a particular mod.
Thank you, sir. Hopefully I have answered @Z-Z-Z 's concerns. :)

To all - I am working furiously on the next few scenes. Look for tomorrow for the next one. And all should be pleased...Uhtræd finally returns home for good!

Thank you for the continued awesome reception to the new work and your always thoughtful comments! :D

Fb-fb:

It is a rather tough slog for Eadward. All the work of a King and yet, he does not have the title. And indeed, there is some discord - Eadward v. Brice, Skuli v. Æthelmær (sort of) - but you are correct. If nothing else, they are united in wanting to put Uhtræd safely on the throne.

As Eadgar noted previously, Eadward feels the need to work twice as hard due to this perception. And he is a bit over-worked during this period. (A bit??) He has regretted his pick of Brice since practically day one, likely because the Mayor is quite good at his job and threatens, to a point, Eadward's full influence.

Indeed, I was quite shocked when that happened. Part of it is a game mechanic - when I moved to primogeniture, all others in line took on a negative qualifier towards the ruling King. So Uhtræd comes into this already down a peg in his relations. I have not stated in story, but you may note that at this moment in-game, Eadward's opinion of his brother is in the red. That made little sense to me given how I have built these characters, so instead I chalked it up to stress. Thus, it might make some sense for the Prince to explore the possibility of ruling in Wales where he is well known and is known to have certain preoccupations there. ;)

First of all, welcome aboard! :) I hope you enjoy the story.

Secondly, I will attempt to answer your peeve as best as I am able. I doubt you will like it much if you wish me to use the DLCs because I have no intention to do so at any time soon. As I have stated previously, I would like to explore some or all of them, but as I started this game with vanilla and it is the basis of what is now a rather long work, I do not wish to take any risk in messing up what is the spine of this tale. Further, the game itself is rather incidental to the piece. You will not learn any gameplay strategies from this or the previous AAR and though I utilize the screenshots to give the piece some visual flavor and connection to the game, I have always intended the game itself to be fully buried under the weight of the characters within.

By your join date of 2015, I will presume that you have likely not read any of my previous narrative works. Into the West was a 20 year odyssey built around a mere three years of gameplay during the American Civil War (played in Victoria) and The Eagle in Winter was based on only two months of gameplay (in the original CK) as the events of those two months was sufficient to built out what became a novella. While I enjoy these games very much (and have since prior to my join date in 2002) what I enjoy far more is the writing aspect that we do here in AARland. When I write a narrative AAR, I use the events in whatever game I play as a challenge...how may I turn that into a believable character beat. The game itself is merely a spine...a skeleton...a place to begin as I start to fill in the full structure on top that gives the whole story its plots and themes. I have done plenty of game play AARs in the past, and there I would agree - it would be more beneficial to use an up-to-date game model if for no other reason, potential reader interest. Here, it really doesn't matter what game is used (to me) and in truth, no game is truly necessary. I have now written over 500 pages in Word format and over 60+ pages of forum length to tell what is roughly 55 years of history. What I wish to do is write a story. A believable story and one that uses the twists of the game to make it alternate, but not one that goes so widely divergent that it makes it difficult to explain.

Finally, I would agree with @stnylan below when he suggests that the original build of CKII is a perfectly suitable version of the game. Having been around these parts for many years, I have lived through multiple patches for the early games that changed them every time and made it difficult for everyone to remain on the same page as we told our tales, and then later the DLCs that took over for patches and did the same. I payed good money for the original and since I do not really play the game itself that often, I saw no reason to continue to pay good money for yet one more iteration of the same game. I may, in future. And I may write on one or all. But for this story, I began in Vanilla and in Vanilla is where I will end. I am sorry if it is a pet peeve of yours but there is little I can do about that. I can only hope that you might look past it and enjoy the story built around the "outdated" version as that is my entire focus. Hope that makes sense to you. I definitely appreciate the comment @Z-Z-Z though as stated, I cannot promise that my explanation answers fully your concerns. Give it a chance, hopefully. :)

Thank you for the latter portion, Butterfly. And should we go down that route, you are right. Placing Eadward in Wales would only serve the King well if the realm grows that large. We are not there yet. I definitely agree - when Uhtræd finally returns home, there will need to be a meeting of the minds so everyone is on the same page.

Thank you, sir. Hopefully I have answered @Z-Z-Z 's concerns. :)

To all - I am working furiously on the next few scenes. Look for tomorrow for the next one. And all should be pleased...Uhtræd finally returns home for good!

Thank you for the continued awesome reception to the new work and your always thoughtful comments! :D
That I now see, thanks for your time, I hope I haven't wasted an entire day of yours!;)

That I now see, thanks for your time, I hope I haven't wasted an entire day of yours!;)
It is never a waste to respond to reader feedback, sir. And I thank you for it again. Besides...it only took ten minutes. ;)

I do hope you give it a chance, but every taste is different. I understand that more than you may know. :)

Heh, poor relations and a wish for Wales. First is not what I expected from the story of course, but gameplay wise it makes sense. As for the wish for Wales...well, we've seen it in your work for a long time now.;) Madrun, his wish for being back there in his own lands. But a crown? I don't see that. Darn game making stuff difficult, eh.;)

I suspected this might happen. No matter how hard you try, it's exceedingly difficult to keep brothers in primogeniture to not dislike one another. The moment Eadward got land somewhere, he was going to want to be king of there - especially since he gets the double hit of rival claimant and desires Kingdom of Wales.

But I think it could well work from what you've established. It's clear he loves Madrun far more than his own wife. Perhaps she whispers of a world where he and she rule Wales (and maybe more? Not England but Ireland isn't so bad). And Eadward has plenty of envy - jealous of his brother, jealous of Brice.

Either way, Uthraed has much fun awaiting for him when he returns to England.

Although Lord Brice appeared disappointed to be held back, at the very least the council is loyal to the new King in the chaos following the succession. I hope none of the claimants come to find themselves having the strength for a rebellion.

Fb-fb:

Heh, poor relations and a wish for Wales. First is not what I expected from the story of course, but gameplay wise it makes sense. As for the wish for Wales...well, we've seen it in your work for a long time now.;) Madrun, his wish for being back there in his own lands. But a crown? I don't see that. Darn game making stuff difficult, eh.;)
Making it complicated, to be sure. It does seem somewhat natural, certainly in game terms, but even to a point with how I have built Eadward. Part of that was knowing this was coming up but keep watch as that wish may not last for long.

I suspected this might happen. No matter how hard you try, it's exceedingly difficult to keep brothers in primogeniture to not dislike one another. The moment Eadward got land somewhere, he was going to want to be king of there - especially since he gets the double hit of rival claimant and desires Kingdom of Wales.

But I think it could well work from what you've established. It's clear he loves Madrun far more than his own wife. Perhaps she whispers of a world where he and she rule Wales (and maybe more? Not England but Ireland isn't so bad). And Eadward has plenty of envy - jealous of his brother, jealous of Brice.

Either way, Uthraed has much fun awaiting for him when he returns to England.
What I find so humorous about it is that Eadward only has the one piece. Even in story, his dalliance with Madrun would only net him possibly one more. Mercia has far more of Wales in their pocket. Methinks the Prince overplays his hand a bit. ;) However, there has definitely been some backroom discussions between Madrun and Eadward that I have left unsaid in the work. No doubt, that is part of where this comes from.

Although Lord Brice appeared disappointed to be held back, at the very least the council is loyal to the new King in the chaos following the succession. I hope none of the claimants come to find themselves having the strength for a rebellion.
Especially as Lord Brice thought himself to be rather close to a victory of sorts. But the new regime stopped all plots of the crown so the man must start over. As for the factions for England, the closest any of them have to success is surely Robert of Normandy. He hovers around 50% of the crown strength and that is if all of Uhtræd's other Lords keep with the King. If they begin to peel off, then it gets much trickier. Keep watch.

To all - as promised, the next update arrives in just a moment after the usual typo check and additions of screenies. As stated...Uhtræd finally returns home for good! :D

Thanks again for your great comments and awesome support! I might also mention once more to make sure you have gone over to the main general discussion area and voted in this quarter's AARland Choice Awards. This work is obviously not eligible for such, but The Rightful King is. However, you need not vote for mine in the process. Just give the project your support. It has been around quite a long time by this date and I am certain that any author that receives a vote would appreciate it. Besides - it is a great place to look at to find a number of great AARs that you may not know about. :)

The Bold Prince

Gainsborough, England - April 1110

“My Lords!” Uhtræd called out from the high table, “My Lords…”

Every man and woman in the hall soon quieted their voice and looked to the new King as he stood to speak to them.

Uhtræd took a moment as he looked out over all that were gathered before he continued, “It has been a harrowing journey from lands far from here so that I may return home to the bosom of my youth.”

His mother Hextilda sat next to him and smiled. His brother Eadward sat to his other side and nodded his head. The new King looked to them both before smiling to the crowded guests, “I thank you for your progress to this grand feast and I remain steadfast in my support for you all. My father would wish nothing less. We all loved him. This I know. That you come here to honor his spirit tells me all I need know of our great realm.”

Many in the hall beat their hands and cups to the table in support and Uhtræd smiled in their encouragement, “I look out to you all and know that our kingdom is sound. I know that my father’s wishes are kept. There are some that be not here, but even they…they love this realm.”

More pounding of the tables followed as Uhtræd continued to smile, “I would let you all know that I be my father’s son in every way. So is my brother that sits here next to me.”

Eadward offered a brief smile as he nodded his head and looked out over the crowd.

Uhtræd pointed to the Lord Marshal who sat next to his mother at the high table, “Here be our finest warrior. The Lord Skuli has protected this realm in every way since I was but a bare chested boy.”

Duke Skuli nodded his head with thanks and locked eyes briefly with the King.

“And here be our Lord of Kent,” Uhtræd pointed to Duke Æthelmær sitting to Eadward’s right. “He served my father well and serves me now in every way.”

Æthelmær offered a happy smile with his nod.

“I look out to you all and I see you Lord Cearl,” Uhtræd pointed to the Duke of Essex, “And I am thankful to see you in our presence for your House is among our greatest.”

Cearl took chance to stand and look around with a smile before he sat once more with curiosity.

“And there you are, Lord Harold…” Uhtræd pointed with a smile to the Duke of Hwicce, “…and I am so pleased that you have brought good Æthelgifu with you.”

Lord Harold offered a pleasant nod as did his daughter as the King’s youngest brother stood behind her with a grin.

“You had best not tease my good brother Beorhtmaer too harshly, my Lady,” Uhtræd wagged a playful finger, “For he is a bold young man. I shall keep my eyes on you two. You would save your worth for the bedding on the day of your marriage.”

Beorhtmaer spoke out with a grin, “It comes not soon enough, Your Grace!”

The King laughed along with the others as he looked out further into the crowd and spied the teenage Lady from Mercia, “And I see you, my Lady Duchess. I must tell you that it warms my heart to see you once again at our home here. You are always welcome.”

The young Duchess Wulfrun grinned as she looked back to the King, “Your ale is fine, Your Grace!”

The crowd hooted at her in great humor and the King answered back, “Be careful to hold your tongue should you drink too much, my Lady.”

She laughed and those around her did the same as Uhtræd looked back to the hall with his own grin, “Mayhap Lord Mayor Eanberht would find the same joy in such good ale.”

The Mayor stood with some shame “Your Grace…I did not mean…”

“No, no…” Uhtræd kept his smile, “You did not like the wine nor the ale, sir. But we had us a fine conversation in any ways, did we not?”

Mayor Eanberht offered a smile of his own and called out, “We did, Your Grace.”

“See?” Uhtræd answered to all, “We may all find some common ground with each other. I know that you all may look to me as a foreigner. And mayhap I am to you after so many years. But I am the trueborn son of our great King Eadgar…my father…”

Some cheers and more knocking of the tables followed as Uhtræd stood tall, “I may be unknown to many of you, but not to all…am I not right, my Lord Marshal?”

Duke Skuli smiled at the King and answered to all, “We two have known each other for many a year, indeed. He is his father’s son in every way. In truth, the boar you eat tonight was felled by his own great hand.”

“I would put my life into this fine Duke’s hands,” Uhtræd returned the smile before looking back to his audience. “And…I would wish us peace.”

Skuli looked to the King with a questioning face and Uhtræd answered the gaze with certainty, “It saddens me that our Lord Robert does not attend. I would like to have seen our Duke of Normandy. But I must ask you, my Lord Skuli…in front of all of these people…is your effort done? Can we not have peace in this realm?”

The Marshal was silent at first but found his head nodding in answer, “I would be true to your wish, Your Grace.”

Uhtræd looked back to the crowd, “There we are. If we would but talk with one another…there be no need for such fighting.”

Skuli was confused and tried to speak, “If only Lord Robert may…”

The King held up his hand, “I would send my good brother to our Lord of Normandy. If you may let go of your enmity, then surely our Chancellor can convince Lord Robert.”

Not wishing to speak out of turn, the Duke nodded his head again and looked to Prince Eadward. The Prince returned the gaze with no smile.

“My Lords,” Uhtræd looked back to the hall, “It saddens me that all are not here. We would like to see our Duke of Normandy. And we all know that Lord Duke Morcar of York is our great friend. Yet, he does not break bread with us. I would be honest with you all. Good Morcar may not care for the one that sits this throne. There is much history there and though I loved his father dearly from our fine days as children raised together, the late Duke Eadgar and I found our faiths opposed on the field of battle. He surely knows, as you all do, what occurred there that day. I would have you tell him, as I have tried, that I love him as much as I ever did his father. The late Duke was named after mine own and is a testament to the closeness of our families. I loved the man and it pains me to this day when I think on him.”

There was silence in the room as all in attendance did not know what to do with the King’s honest words. Yet, Uhtræd persisted.

“Yet here we all are…with great comity and much love. I would be King to every man and woman in this hall. It did not come to me as a welcome but I would not put aside my father’s wish. I could not. And credit must go to my good brother here.”

Eadward was unsure of where Uhtræd was going in his words but offered a brief smile.

“I have lived my life far away from this realm for many years,” the King continued, “And I must say that it has taken a great toll on me to return. I have lost my wife and children as I take up this great mantle. Yet I would be true to my father…and true to all of you. We have us all a fine Saxon kingdom. This was my father’s wish and this is my promise to you!”

Cheers echoed throughout the hall as they beat their cups upon the tables and many shouted, “God save the King!”

Uhtræd remained silent while he waited for the hall to quiet and looked to them all with a great serious face, “My Lords…my Ladies…you will follow me if you wish a great and strong realm. There is our Kingdom and no other. We must needs all see to that. I will. That, I promise you. While the awesome duty of this chair was never my yearning, I have told you…I would honor my father’s desire. In the north, we will not stand down to any Scottish aggression. In the east, we would not see another northman try and plunder our soil and steal our crown. In the west, we would keep with our father and take what is rightfully ours. And in the south…we would not see a foreigner take this throne. It will be Saxon or it will be no thing!”

Many cheers erupted throughout the hall and Uhtræd offered a fine smile. He basked in it for some few moments before finally nodding with a wave of his hand. As he moved to walk from the hall to find his chambers, his brother followed him.

“You take to it well, brother,” Eadward suggested as the din of noise echoed behind him.

Uhtræd sighed as he walked, “I do not, but if I am to do the thing…I will do it in every way.”

Eadward was quick to answer, “You do it well.”

“They will all be gone soon,” the new King responded as they found his chambers. Uhtræd entered his room and looked back to his brother, “Gone, mayhap. But they will not soon forget this day. That is my wish.”

“You have made your mark,” Eadward nodded as he moved to pour his brother some ale.

“Nay,” Uhtræd stopped him. “I’ve no need of that. We have all had too much this night and I would look clearly to our future.”

Prince Eadward sat the cup down and turned back with a grin, “Our father my frown.”

Uhtræd stepped to his brother and pulled him close, “Brother…I mean it when I say that you have done us all a great service. That you were able to keep these Lords and this realm sound as I traveled…”

“I told you that I would be ever faithful,” Eadward answered quickly.

“And I know it true,” the King pulled him into an embrace before moving back to look out the window and watch the celebrations below. “However…this is but a respite methinks. I have stood these grounds before knowing man’s harshest desire.”

Prince Eadward offered a quick nod, “Your absent Lords.”

King Uhtræd offered a great heavy sigh as he continued to look out at the people below, “My absent…everything.”

I personally love a leader who is also the head of the hunt, though, it would have added more to Uhtræd's legend and stature had he wrestled the boar with his bare hand and slayed it with a knife or sword in his hand! :p

By their deeds shall ye know them. Uhtræd is right to be cautious, and know how slippery this will be.

eadward continues to desire the kingdom's I would want to add to England. If a faction comes up in game with him desiring Brittany then I'm not sure what I'd do...

The king is preaching peace but preparing for a war so it seems, or at least a reckoning with the Normans. Makes sense really, they are the most visible aspect of England to continentals (such as his wife) and he won't get any respect off the other kings in Europe if his vassal keeps trying successfully to rule his own mini kingdom and (rather more unsuccessfully) steal England away from Wessex.

Interesting comment on Scottish aggression. Not sure what aggression he's talking about considering the last two wars were declared by his dad for land. Are we about to enter a game of intrude and conquest where the two main kingdom shall duke it out to see who runs GB? Would be the standard way to get involved in Ireland and finish the conquest of Wales.

The King has showed a strong character outwards to his lords, a wise start to his reign. However, he seems to feel the burden of a missing family and vassals hostile to his control of the throne.

Well, this began while I was out of town, so I had a few updates to read. It's off to a good start, though. It'll be interesting to see how those factions go. After all, stripping titles from rebelling lords is a rather historical method of regaining power for the crown. Were Uhtræd more of a schemer, stripping titles from lords made to look disloyal would also be a viable strategy, but alas he seems unlikely to succeed in those kind of endeavors.

Well I rather liked this chapter as Uhtraed shows his capacity for statesmanship. And I like the device to remind us of the great and good of the realm-you always do that rather well @coz1

But most of all I rather loved the telling last burdensome statement of our new king. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown indeed. Fantastic stuff

Last edited:
King Uhtræd offered a great heavy sigh as he continued to look out at the people below, “My absent…everything.”
He misses his wife. His kids. I can wholly understand him.

Great update as always! :)

Well, this began while I was out of town, so I had a few updates to read. It's off to a good start, though. It'll be interesting to see how those factions go. After all, stripping titles from rebelling lords is a rather historical method of regaining power for the crown. Were Uhtræd more of a schemer, stripping titles from lords made to look disloyal would also be a viable strategy, but alas he seems unlikely to succeed in those kind of endeavors.

That's true. If this was operating on historical lines, the king would first win a small victory in some area (win a small war, do something really impressive personally, give everyone a bag of gold etc) and then not rest until Normandy is firmly under heel and remains under heel. Whilst other stuff would happen, the lands in France are (unless and untill someone unifies the islands) the most important assets England currently has because they are the wealthiest, the strategically best placed and the the Saxon link to Europe. If the king wants his wife back, he must become master of Normandy, and then master of France (or at least make himself a contender for it). This, admittedly probably worse option than unifying his power base back home, is nonetheless probably what a historical monarch would do in this situation. The Celtic fringe is just that, an annoyance and wilderness compared to the wealth and prestige the crown and lands of France could bring.

Fb-fb:

I personally love a leader who is also the head of the hunt, though, it would have added more to Uhtræd's legend and stature had he wrestled the boar with his bare hand and slayed it with a knife or sword in his hand! :p
I very nearly did not include that screenshot as I left out all of the other small events that come with a great feast (well, some were suggested in the words) but that shot was just too good. Of course Uhtræd would hunt his own boar. Now...in the manner you suggest? Let us assume that is exactly how it went down. :D

By their deeds shall ye know them. Uhtræd is right to be cautious, and know how slippery this will be.
That's right - he has a mind to draw them out. Keep watch here as it plays into the next scene as well.

eadward continues to desire the kingdom's I would want to add to England. If a faction comes up in game with him desiring Brittany then I'm not sure what I'd do...

The king is preaching peace but preparing for a war so it seems, or at least a reckoning with the Normans. Makes sense really, they are the most visible aspect of England to continentals (such as his wife) and he won't get any respect off the other kings in Europe if his vassal keeps trying successfully to rule his own mini kingdom and (rather more unsuccessfully) steal England away from Wessex.

Interesting comment on Scottish aggression. Not sure what aggression he's talking about considering the last two wars were declared by his dad for land. Are we about to enter a game of intrude and conquest where the two main kingdom shall duke it out to see who runs GB? Would be the standard way to get involved in Ireland and finish the conquest of Wales.
I think you have it well, there - preaching peace, but preparing for war. Where? Well, it will depend on who causes it. I included the line on Scottish aggression just to get us round robin around the English perimeter. There does remain some intent to the north, but they have shown no signs of doing anything about it. Rest assured, if they or anyone else tries, this King will be ready. He is a soldier after all.

The King has showed a strong character outwards to his lords, a wise start to his reign. However, he seems to feel the burden of a missing family and vassals hostile to his control of the throne.
I hesitated to include that last line, but it seemed that this would still pull at him and likely will for quite some time. It cannot have been easy to leave that comfortable life to move to this pool of potential hostility.

It is a precarious situation which I will explain in more depth when we get to it. For now, a lot of my in-game actions have to do with finding any favor I can with all vassals because of the "short-reign" negative qualifier CKII includes. I get the point of it, but it seems slightly unrealistic that every single King must deal with this. It makes sense given how I have built the story - Uhtræd may be considered a foreigner, and the great Lords may still smart of this new style succession...but a nice reign of 50 years and the throne passed to son that every knows and yet, that same situation would occur in the game. Frustrating.

Well I rather liked this chapter as Uhtraed shows his capacity for statesmanship. And I like the device to remind us of the great and good of the realm-you always do that rather well @coz1

But most of all I rather loved the telling last burdensome statement of our new king. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown indeed. Fantastic stuff
The King is considering the life he left behind. And thank you in regards to the setting of the court. I had some fun with that. Is little Duchess Wulfrun drunk of her arse by this point, one wonders? :D

He misses his wife. His kids. I can wholly understand him.

Great update as always! :)
Indeed. It will always remain a truly tough decision. But as he says...he will do the bloody thing.

That's true. If this was operating on historical lines, the king would first win a small victory in some area (win a small war, do something really impressive personally, give everyone a bag of gold etc) and then not rest until Normandy is firmly under heel and remains under heel. Whilst other stuff would happen, the lands in France are (unless and untill someone unifies the islands) the most important assets England currently has because they are the wealthiest, the strategically best placed and the the Saxon link to Europe. If the king wants his wife back, he must become master of Normandy, and then master of France (or at least make himself a contender for it). This, admittedly probably worse option than unifying his power base back home, is nonetheless probably what a historical monarch would do in this situation. The Celtic fringe is just that, an annoyance and wilderness compared to the wealth and prestige the crown and lands of France could bring.
All true. Very much so. But again...don't get too far ahead of Uhtræd. ;) Let us not write the reign before it has happened. :D However, the King is taking notes as we speak.

To all - the next scene will arrive tomorrow and gives us some more insight into the brotherly relationship. Some things remain unsaid for now, but...well, wait and see. :)

Thank you all for the great readership and awesome support! Your comments remain the very best!

I don't know. Despite his uncertainty, I feel Uhtræd has the makings of a great warrior-king. Obviously, that is not everything, but history tends to look at those more favorably if they are conquering or defeating their rivals in battle. (See Richard I or even, to a degree, Edward I) I can easily see him dealing with unruly vassals and then using that as a springboard to expand within the Isles thus creating a fine legacy for himself.

Also, thanks to your mystery on who the Bold Prince is, I'm left looking at a line about Beorhtmaer being described as such and wondering "IS THAT A SUBTLE HINT?". So well done.