• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"The very last scene" seems ominous... Nevertheless, waiting eagerly :)
All will be made clear soon enough...well soon...well, when we get to that point. There is rather quite a lot between now and then. :)

To all - the next scene follows and once again, I apologize for the length but there was a lot of ground to cover. And remember that there is a "missing scene" that should be part of it but I chose to do something a little different in how I present it. You will read it eventually, I promise. You will likely (or hopefully) refer back to this scene in your mind when the time comes for me to post it. Thanks as always for your excellent comments!!

The Rightful King

Gainsborough, England - November 1107

King Eadgar sat at the raised table and seemed to fidget even though he kept a pleasant smile on his face. Hextilda reached over to squeeze at his hand and he stopped as he leaned over to give her a kiss. She whispered into his ear, “He is coming…soon, I promise.”

He leaned over her to smile at Lord Skuli seated next to the Queen and then turned back to give a questioning face to the Prince seated next to him, though there was an empty place between them.

Eadward shifted with a smile of his own, “I am certain that the channel waters may have been choppy at this time of year, Your Grace. I know that he has landed as his letter told me so. He is but delayed.”

The King did not return the smile as he looked out over the varied guests that he had invited to rejoice at the homecoming of his first son and heir. That frown had little time to last as a page stepped forward to announce a new arrival.

“The Prince Uhtræd of England and Wales and the Duke of Meissen!!”

All eyes in the room turned to face the doors to the hall and watched as the robust figure of the Prince and Heir to the Crown of England and Wales entered. He led beside him a young man that looked to be his twin from many years ago. Hextilda forgot all protocol and jumped from her seat to rush and embrace her son, “Oh my sweet boy!! How we have all missed you!”

As she repeatedly kissed at his cheek, Uhtræd smiled and looked past her to his father. He kept the embrace for some time before finally moving to present his companion, “Mother…my father, Your Grace…may I present to you my son, Oscytel.”

Uhtræd led the boy forth and gave him a quick wink before they both offered deep bows to the King. The room remained silent as Eadgar sat at the table with a mixture of confusion and curiosity. It took several moments before he finally stood and moved around the table so he might stand before them both. He looked the boy over and gave him a nod with a serious face. Then he looked deeply to his son that he had not seen for fifteen years. If there was pleasure in his eyes, it did not seem readily apparent.

“It has been too long in coming,” the King suggested with an arched brow.

Uhtræd looked confused, “Father…are you not pleased to see me?”

As Eadgar continued to look on his eldest son, the silence in the room would have made a pin dropping to the stone floor seem the loudest noise in the world. The King looked back to the boy next to him with a stern face, “How old are you, son?”

Oscytel looked up with a questioning eye, “I have passed fourteen summers, sir…Your Grace.”

The King looked the boy over once again, “You hold a lanky frame that requires filling out and there is an accent to your voice, methinks.”

“He lives in Meissen, Your Grace and has not yet found his full form,” Uhtræd was quick to answer.

Eadgar shot his son a harsh eye, “I did not ask the question to you, sir. I asked the boy.”

“Your Grace,” Hextilda moved to her husband and held at his arm, “Let us have a fine reunion…please.”

He looked to his wife with pained eyes but still returned his gaze to Oscytel, “The boy may answer.”

The teen tried to stand tall and in doing so nearly equaled the King’s height, “Your Grace…I would ever strive to be the picture of health and strength as you are. My father teaches me of all the ways in England and I work ever more to lose that which makes me of Meissen and find everything that makes me your loyal and faithful servant.”

Eadgar looked around the room and then finally found his smile as he held out arms to take in the youth, “That is well said, sir! Well said indeed!”

The room erupted into applause as Uhtræd allowed a nervous laugh. He watched the King embrace his son and took a step forward, “It is good to look upon you, father.”

“And you, my fine Prince!” Eadgar made a show of pulling Uhtræd into the embrace.

As Uhtræd and his son found way to wriggle from the King’s arms, Eadgar turned to the high table, “Eadward…young Beorhtmaer…look who has returned to us! Come and greet your brother!”

The Chancellor and his younger brother both moved to give Uhtræd an embrace as the King turned to the crowd, “Look here at my three fine boys! All strong and healthy. And together once again!”

Hextilda smiled at her children together and gestured for the high table, “Come, come…let us feast.”

“Indeed!” Eadgar moved to put a hand on young Oscytel’s back and lead him to a seat, “You must be famished after such a long journey.”

Uhtræd smiled at his brothers as he followed and soon it seemed as if the last fifteen years had never occurred. Music played and the King made many showy gestures of pointing out this change and that to the keep at Gainsborough. Eadgar made a point to include Oscytel in his discussion and even praised Eadward’s good works over the last years. The sumptuous food did soon run low and many of the guests begged the King’s forgiveness to take their leave. The King allowed it but kept his gregarious spirit until his wife finally stood. She nodded her head that it may be time to turn in.

“But I have had so little time,” Eadgar begged her with pleading eyes but she stood firm and so he was forced to say goodnight.

“I will see you both on the morrow, my princes,” he looked to his sons with pride, “Do not stay up too late for we have much to discuss. I would remain, but my lady wife does not permit such late hours anymore.”

Prince Uhtræd stood and moved to give his father a deep embrace, “I am sorry that I have been away from you for so long. It is mine own fault and none of yours.”

Eadgar moved to put his son at arm’s reach so he could look on him with a deep smile and a slight tear in his eye, “That is fine. That is very fine.”

Hextilda shifted to speak with young Oscytel, “There are rooms for you as well, young master. We would make all as if it were your own bed at home. Come and see.”

Uhtræd smiled at his mother and then winked at his son, “She will take great care of you, sir. Listen to all she wishes to say.”

As the King and Queen moved to leave the hall, Uhtræd could not help but keep the smile. He watched his father walk away with some trouble due to too much drink and his mother continue to dote on the boy. He finally turned to Eadward, “It seems a fine reunion, does it not?”

Prince Eadward held out a hand to show Duke Skuli limping forward, “This Lord may wish to say goodnight as well, brother.”

The aged Marshal gave a slight bow, “My good and lawful son is too gracious as I be certain that you two may have many hours together and many things to speak about.”

“Lord Skuli,” Uhtræd held out a warm hand and grasped at the Duke’s arm, “There be none more that I may wish to see at this time than you. I am sorry that we have not had much chance this night to speak.”

Skuli grinned, “You have been well busy, my Prince. I would not take away such a moment when it is so long in coming. It is well to see you in any case. But sadly, I too grow old and infirm and may no longer revel with the young men as in the past.”

“I take no offense,” Uhtræd was quick to reply, “And if my journey home has done anything, it allows me to look upon the face of a hero once again.”

“You are too kind to me, my Prince,” Skuli offered with a bow. “I may say to you that you have a fine boy and I am glad of it.”

The Prince laughed, “And now you are too kind. He is young and requires more training than I may be fit to give him. I fear that he may tend towards the priesthood. His mother has coddled him.”

The Marshal winked at Uhtræd, “If he be your boy, my Prince, he will turn into a fine man. Do not doubt it.”

The two said their goodbyes and finally Uhtræd turned to his brother in the empty hall, “Things have most assuredly changed, brother.”

Eadward sat back down and picked at his trencher for some last morsel of meat, “You have been gone a long time.”

“I did not expect to enjoy myself as much as I did,” Uhtræd smiled as he moved to find another pitcher of ale.

“It was…touch and go, at first,” Eadward grinned.

Uhtræd found two goblets and poured them both a drink, “Quite. What was that?”

Eadward tried to smile, “Our father has his demons and you may be one of them, I am sad to say.”

“He still smarts at my leaving after all of these years?” Uhtræd asked as he sat and handed his brother a goblet.

“Mayhap,” Eadward nodded, “But he also wished for a grander reunion that did not come. You would not be away from Meissen at the Mass of Christ and so he cannot have his family all together as he may have wished.”

“So now he blames me for this?” Uhtræd questioned.

Eadward smiled, “Think no thing of it, brother. No matter his desire, our sisters could not be here anyway. Mildrith and Mathilda have both just had child and Sifflæd has a new husband in Connaught even though she continues her days with her young son in Saintonge.”

Uhtræd moved to take a drink, “I was sad to hear about her Silvestor.”

Eadward followed his brother and took a long pull from his goblet before answering with a nod, “Time long since gone in this realm, sir. You will grow used to it.”

“Beorhtmaer seems a strapping lad, however,” Uhtræd flashed a grin. “I should have him ride out with Oscytel so he may teach him a thing or two.”

“That may be wise,” Eadward nodded again, “Our young brother shows your same brilliance at martial skills. He will be most useful in the years ahead.”

Uhtræd took another drink as he looked to his brother with question, “Useful?”

Prince Eadward moved to pour the rest of the ale into his goblet, “You will need all the help you may get, my brother.”

“That was a full pitcher,” Uhtræd moved to place his own goblet under the spilling ale.

Eadward looked up with a silly grin, “I fear I may be drunk.”

Uhtræd sat the ale aside and held at his brother’s hand with a smile, “You should celebrate, I am told. You are now Earl and master of Perfeddwlad.”

“I am that and I thank His Grace for his kindness,” Eadward nodded.

“I hear you even put men in the field, sir,” Uhtræd joked.

Eadward took another drink and looked to his brother with a wary grin, “I would follow my father anywhere.”

Uhtræd smiled, “You mean your wife’s father…and of course. There is no better time to get your spurs wet.”

“His is a stupid war…” Eadward started to slur, “…but I would do my part. After all…I am Earl! And this Norman Duke may go and screw!”

“The House of Normandy remains a trouble even after all of these years,” Uhtræd nodded his head.

“Trouble?” Eadward pointed a finger, “You have no idea!”

Uhtræd did not smile as he answered, “I think I may have some. I faced the forces of the Bastard many years ago, brother.”

Eadward look at him with sad eyes, “I forget. I am sorry.”

The younger brother moved to find more ale and stumbled in his attempt causing Uhtræd to stand and steady him, “Why do you not sit? Let us continue to talk.”

Eadward pulled away and found another pitcher of ale. He turned with a sheepish grin, “Your suggestion today is a demand in future, is it not?”

“Are we not well met, Eadward?” Uhtræd asked as he sat once more and offered a curious smile.

The younger Prince sat with a thud and poured himself another goblet, “It is fine to see you home.”

Uhtræd looked to him with a wary eye, “And yet I think you be jealous of me.”

Eadward offered a wide grin, “Why in heaven would I be jealous of you? Because you are heir to the crown? Because you and your wife couple as if rabbits and have spawn that will not cease? Because you are the great general that all respect and love? Because our father makes every place for you and little to none for me or our young brother? Why on Earth would I be jealous of you?!”

“It is there,” Uhtræd put a finger on the table, “Because you find your place wanting. Do you not rejoice at being Earl and great Chancellor to the King?”

“It took long enough,” Eadward looked up with some scorn. “But why do you say so? I have worked hard for what has come to me!”

“Of course you have, brother,” Uhtræd answered as he moved to pull away Eadward’s drink. “I may hope for your same diligence when the sad day comes when I too must wear this crown.”

The younger brother looked to his old mentor and reached a hand across the table to grasp his arm, “I am sorry, Uhtræd. I do not mean to scold or find pettiness. But with our father…”

“It is hard,” Uhtræd nodded his head and stood to help Eadward from his seat. “You should be abed and not let these worries take away from such a fine night. Come…I will help you.”

Eadward accepted the arm but looked to his brother with a sincere face, “No, sir…I will help you.”

The two brothers moved to find Eadward’s chamber and put him to bed and Uhtræd found his way to his own room. His sleep that night was fitful and the dawn hour found him at an open window looking out towards the lands of Gainsborough with a fur around him to keep out the chill morning air. His thoughts had been many and would have remained that way without a knock on his door.

His younger brother entered with a white face and bags under his bloodshot eyes, “I fear I had too much ale last night.”

“I believe you speak truth,” Uhtræd responded as he turned with a smile.

Eadward hesitated for a moment before finally answering, “I wish to apologize.”

Uhtræd kept his smile, “For what? You were drunk and drunken men say foolish things. All may be forgiven.”

“I may have shown you a poor side of myself,” Eadward took a step forward.

“You should not find worry,” Uhtræd pulled out a chair for him to sit, “If nothing else, it is but a reminder that no matter how much things may have changed here in these past many years, so many more remain just the same.”

His brother took the offered seat but looked to Uhtræd with curiosity, “What mean you by this?”

Uhtræd shifted to stoke a low fire, “Eadward, I came home to see you and the rest of the family as much as I did to find my interest in this place once more. Did my joy of this land even still exist?”

“England is your home,” Eadward answered with certainty.

“Not anymore,” Uhtræd turned to face him with a slight smile, “My home now is with my beautiful if not sometimes harrowing wife and my six fine children. It is a far cry from my time here with all the memory that comes with it.”

Eadward shifted in his chair, “But those days are long over, Uhtræd! England is a stable realm and waits longingly for your great return.”

Uhtræd returned to look out the window, “All that you say has the ring of truth to it, but one may find holes in each argument. It is true that those bad days are many years in the past and I have put my mind right to all of it.”

“Were these days so terrible?” Eadward asked with incredulity.

“You would never know, my brother,” Uhtræd turned slightly as he brought many of them back to mind. “By God, I hope you never do.”

Eadward was about to answer but Uhtræd turned fully and leaned against the stone wall, “England may be stable at the now and she has had a fine King during these last many years.”

“Our father has his moments,” Eadward offered a brief laugh.

“And he is old,” Uhtræd kept his serious face. “I did not think such a thing possible for the great Eadgar of Wessex. How did he get so old?”

Eadward leaned forward, “The King has a great many worries.”

Uhtræd held up a finger as he moved to warm his backside by the fire, “That is just it. And while the people may wish my so called great return, not all would feel this way, methinks.”

“Uhtræd, your support is sound,” Eadward turned his body towards his brother, “Take my word for it if nothing else as I do have the pulse of the realm.”

“I certainly will,” Uhtræd offered a slight smile, “And I am pleased to see that we remain brothers as tightly woven together now as we were when we were children. I have so much love for you, dear brother and I would not wish to hold such an awesome position without your assistance and guidance now that you grow into such an astute man.”

Eadward sat back with a curious look, “And yet, that may not be enough for you because you do not find your heart in the role. Is that it?”

Uhtræd turned to warm his front as he suggested over his shoulder, “I told you that you were astute.”

Eadward kept his curious gaze as he asked his brother, “Uhtræd…do you want to be the King?”

Looking down at the fire before him, Uhtræd answered as honestly as he could, “I do not know.”

A nervous laugh escaped Eadward’s lips as he looked to his brother with a shocked face, “Well…I do not even…I know not how you may not be? How would that even work? Father has put into place direct plans for your succession. If somehow you refused…you could not be compelled, I suppose…but then it would fall to your young son, I imagine.”

“He is not ready for any such thing and I would no more allow him travel for such a gauntlet than I would cut off mine own head,” Uhtræd kept looking to the fire.

Eadward stood with a flash of irritation, “Then what? You mean to say that you would willingly plunge this realm back into the chaos of years past simply for your own comfort?”

Uhtræd turned to face his brother, “Even if I did return, Eadward….would we not find the same? Do you think these Lords will accept it as willingly as our father thinks they might? Why? Just because he has decreed it and they have said that they would follow? If you have the pulse, then you know full well that the minute our father’s body turns cold, they will each look to pull what scrap of morsel they can find off of that carcass like carrion over the battlefield.”

“The Lords are beholden to the crown now, brother,” Eadward tried to suggest.

Uhtræd offered a raised brow, “Why? Because the great King Eadgar gives them place and position? That he has married into these great families? When he is dead, which of these means a whit in the face of a man’s desire? When mine own brother finds jealousy over his position next to mine own, what may these Lords consider when the time comes?”

Eadward lowered his head, “I did not mean what I said last night, Uhtræd.”

“There was some truth to it,” Uhtræd answered with certainty, “That is not the point. There is a French phrasing…plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose…it matters not what great stability our father may have brought to this realm. He is not King because of the man…he is King because of his claim. His was greater than a Norman foreigner, a Yorkist pretender or even an ineffectual Godwin that could not follow in his father’s footsteps. And the great Eadgar had the means and support behind him to make it so no matter their worth or righteousness.”

“Uhtræd…you cannot mean that you would forfeit your birthright…” Eadward answered him with worry in his voice.

Uhtræd called his brother over to him with his hands, “I have not said I would do so, but it remains tightly in my mind.”

Eadward accepted an embrace from his older brother as he offered his allegiance, “I would be there always, Uhtræd…no matter their actions. I would see to it that you had every and all means to secure your reign and make it glorious.”

“I believe that you would,” Uhtræd answered as he held Eadward tight, “And I have much to consider.”

Ahh, Uhtræd returns.

Uhtræd is the one person Eadger has not been able to deal with since the double-blow of his first wife's and daughter's death, and the truth of his friend's murder. And I do wonder if Uhtræd, seeing what the Crown has done to his father, doesn't in part thing: I want no part of that. He seens the crown as a prison, a chalice full of poison. His sense of duty to the realm may yet compel him - and make him a better monarch - but he is shrewd indeed. He may have been absent from England these long years, but England has not been absent from his thoughts.

Eadwerd and Uhtread both seemed to have unguarded moments ... are useful in a way. Both brothers have a good understanding of the other. But, was Uhtræd that unguarded? Was his admission of lack of desire for the crown just conveniently timed so it can be blamed on the drink if necessary? I always recall Uhtræd to be a rather direct person, but also a courtly one.

Mostly though I am just overjoyed to see him return to the tale.

The prodigal son returns!

The ancient Romans had a proverb: In vino veritas. I think Eadward's drunken outburst had a little more truth to it than even he wants to admit.

An interesting little pair our two princes make: One heir to a kingdom he does not want, and one spare who would leap at the chance if he could take the crown himself in good conscience. I'm starting to get a Lion in Winter vibe from their interactions.

That was quite the scene! I sense you are laying the groundwork for an end to this tale too. I wish it was not so.

Well well well. So Uhtraed wavers in his desire for what is his by right. Now how would him declining the crown work in-game I wonder? Unless the succession laws are changed again. Very interested to see how this would work

It's good to see him back though and that the 2 brothers are tighter than many (including me at times) have suggested or feared.

Well. That is a scene. Quite a bittersweet reunion, and yet... what did Eadward expect? The fact that he directly questions his brother tells me he suspected the answer. Most of his shock might come from hearing, "Maybe" instead of a firm yes or no.

So as a family member Eadward has to hate the situation, because Eadgar will go on now forever about how wonderful it was to see Uhtraed and how great it will be when he comes home for good, and Eadward of course won't say what he's heard - it would break his father's heart. And as chancellor the situation looks even worse. He could prepare the nobles for Uhtraed's succession, and maybe make some plans to limit the damage from Uhtraed's abdication, but how in Hades do you plan for "Maybe"?

If Uhtraed bows out - or if he tries for the throne and loses a civil war - the family is going to get wrecked. If they aren't rulers, they aren't really anyone of consequence. If Eadward was the sneaky, conniving sort he'd go straight to Eadgar and tell him Uhtraed wants to stay in Germany. With enough work he might get Eadgar angry enough to name Eadward as the heir.

For Uhtraed to take the throne he would have to basically abandon the last, what, twenty years? Give up his wife (perhaps), his castle and duchy and friends certainly, give up what passes for civilization in Medieval times and move to a cold, barbaric, backward island on the back end of nowhere? And then face the prospect of convincing people he's never met that he should be their king? It doesn't sound like a good deal, though filial loyalty and sense of duty could win out. Giving way to Eadward would actually make a lot of sense. Just... wait for the old man to die, to avoid complications, and then bow out.

I just can't help but wonder, though, if Uhtraed has to pay that kind of price, what kind of king he'd turn out to be. Men have turned curdled and bitter over less.

So much to take in there. I do not know if I fully believe Uthread on his willingness to set aside the crown. I think it may be some doubt for sure, but when presented with the actual crown, and the reality that his family will be drawn into the mess regardless of becoming king, I don't think he will turn it down.

But if Eadward wants it - primogeniture may be the "law" but this time period it was far from a certain thing. He might be wise to pull a Henry I, and make sure the treasury is secure.

Alas the man cannot refuse the throne without jeopardising the safety of the whole House, as they do not own enough land to be safe without the Crown as well. Had they been successful in taking all of Wales (or another kingdom), then he could feel free to leave England behind and go off into the lands beyond but he can't. Wessex owns disparate and small holdings surrounded by more powerful men and women, whom will at the very will want the people with the best claim to the throne dead and at worst the whole family for good measure (no Eadgar to come out of nowhere later on). I feel like one of the two brothers had to take the throne immediately after the king's death, or they will all be in a very bad situation. They don't have wealth, power or influence outside of the Crown... without it, they will be a minor house again. That needs to get pounded into both of their heads and fast, otherwise Eadgar will die before they make their mind up and a civil war will break out (it probably will anyway but this garuntees at least one).

Fb-fb:

Ahh, Uhtræd returns.

Uhtræd is the one person Eadger has not been able to deal with since the double-blow of his first wife's and daughter's death, and the truth of his friend's murder. And I do wonder if Uhtræd, seeing what the Crown has done to his father, doesn't in part thing: I want no part of that. He seens the crown as a prison, a chalice full of poison. His sense of duty to the realm may yet compel him - and make him a better monarch - but he is shrewd indeed. He may have been absent from England these long years, but England has not been absent from his thoughts.

Eadwerd and Uhtread both seemed to have unguarded moments ... are useful in a way. Both brothers have a good understanding of the other. But, was Uhtræd that unguarded? Was his admission of lack of desire for the crown just conveniently timed so it can be blamed on the drink if necessary? I always recall Uhtræd to be a rather direct person, but also a courtly one.

Mostly though I am just overjoyed to see him return to the tale.
There can be no doubt that though perhaps beyond the events of many years past, Uhtræd's new life has been one of mostly happiness and success. His remembrances of court life in England (showed here still) are not as joyful. I write him as though he has been considering this thing for many years and only now has had chance to say it out loud to Eadward, assuming that he may confide in his younger brother. I think it a real and constant thought in his mind and after the previous night, he felt it time to say it. But remember, there is a missing scene in there somewhere. ;)

The prodigal son returns!

The ancient Romans had a proverb: In vino veritas. I think Eadward's drunken outburst had a little more truth to it than even he wants to admit.

An interesting little pair our two princes make: One heir to a kingdom he does not want, and one spare who would leap at the chance if he could take the crown himself in good conscience. I'm starting to get a Lion in Winter vibe from their interactions.
I honestly did not mean to get Eadward so drunk but once he started spouting off, I assumed he must have been. :D Indeed, some honesty came out there. And while not quite Lion in Winter territory, you are absolutely right in how you characterize the two. These are both strong men with rather different ideas and goals in life. The next many years should be rather interesting, I hope.

That was quite the scene! I sense you are laying the groundwork for an end to this tale too. I wish it was not so.
It may be the end of this tale but not the end of the time in which it is told. Cryptic yes, but allow me that for now. I'm so glad the scene was strong. I hoped Uhtræd's return would provoke such a reaction.

Well well well. So Uhtraed wavers in his desire for what is his by right. Now how would him declining the crown work in-game I wonder? Unless the succession laws are changed again. Very interested to see how this would work

It's good to see him back though and that the 2 brothers are tighter than many (including me at times) have suggested or feared.
They do remain tight and truly wanted to make sure I brought that out into the scene. As for your question, believe me...I have teased that over many times. Won't tell you what or how, but keep watch.

Well. That is a scene. Quite a bittersweet reunion, and yet... what did Eadward expect? The fact that he directly questions his brother tells me he suspected the answer. Most of his shock might come from hearing, "Maybe" instead of a firm yes or no.

So as a family member Eadward has to hate the situation, because Eadgar will go on now forever about how wonderful it was to see Uhtraed and how great it will be when he comes home for good, and Eadward of course won't say what he's heard - it would break his father's heart. And as chancellor the situation looks even worse. He could prepare the nobles for Uhtraed's succession, and maybe make some plans to limit the damage from Uhtraed's abdication, but how in Hades do you plan for "Maybe"?

If Uhtraed bows out - or if he tries for the throne and loses a civil war - the family is going to get wrecked. If they aren't rulers, they aren't really anyone of consequence. If Eadward was the sneaky, conniving sort he'd go straight to Eadgar and tell him Uhtraed wants to stay in Germany. With enough work he might get Eadgar angry enough to name Eadward as the heir.

For Uhtraed to take the throne he would have to basically abandon the last, what, twenty years? Give up his wife (perhaps), his castle and duchy and friends certainly, give up what passes for civilization in Medieval times and move to a cold, barbaric, backward island on the back end of nowhere? And then face the prospect of convincing people he's never met that he should be their king? It doesn't sound like a good deal, though filial loyalty and sense of duty could win out. Giving way to Eadward would actually make a lot of sense. Just... wait for the old man to die, to avoid complications, and then bow out.

I just can't help but wonder, though, if Uhtraed has to pay that kind of price, what kind of king he'd turn out to be. Men have turned curdled and bitter over less.
A very good look at it, Director. The "maybe" puts Eadward in quite the pickle. Perhaps that was intentional by Uhtræd. Keep his would be Chancellor on his toes. Or, he was just being honest to the one person in the Kingdom he thinks he may be able to say something like to. That might be considered unwise, considering what Eadward has become - power-wise. But, while not mentioned in the text, one of Uhtræd's traits is now "scholar." The new "would be-or would be not-King" is no dummy. ;)

So much to take in there. I do not know if I fully believe Uthread on his willingness to set aside the crown. I think it may be some doubt for sure, but when presented with the actual crown, and the reality that his family will be drawn into the mess regardless of becoming king, I don't think he will turn it down.

But if Eadward wants it - primogeniture may be the "law" but this time period it was far from a certain thing. He might be wise to pull a Henry I, and make sure the treasury is secure.
I am purposely leaving it up in the air for now as I think it creates good banter between you fine folks and gives the piece a nice cliffhanger aspect, of which our great Joe Stroey would be proud. :D Both items you mention have great truth in them.

Alas the man cannot refuse the throne without jeopardising the safety of the whole House, as they do not own enough land to be safe without the Crown as well. Had they been successful in taking all of Wales (or another kingdom), then he could feel free to leave England behind and go off into the lands beyond but he can't. Wessex owns disparate and small holdings surrounded by more powerful men and women, whom will at the very will want the people with the best claim to the throne dead and at worst the whole family for good measure (no Eadgar to come out of nowhere later on). I feel like one of the two brothers had to take the throne immediately after the king's death, or they will all be in a very bad situation. They don't have wealth, power or influence outside of the Crown... without it, they will be a minor house again. That needs to get pounded into both of their heads and fast, otherwise Eadgar will die before they make their mind up and a civil war will break out (it probably will anyway but this garuntees at least one).
Again, a very excellent summation of the situation at hand when the time comes. And you may be more right than you know when you say it does not matter who it is from the line of Wessex...war will still likely break out. These strong Dukes like to make their plays as Uhtræd alluded to in his words above. But there will be no resolution of this until that sad day arrives when Eadgar is no longer there to protect them. Only then will we find out which way it goes and which brother steps up to protect "the family." Maybe they both will. ;)

To all - I am so very pleased that the scene with Uhtræd was so well received. I really enjoyed writing it for likely much the same reason you folks appreciated it - it was good to see the young man (who is no longer so young) home again after fifteen years. I have purposely kept him away all of this time having in mind this scene and I think it plays far more powerfully than had he continued to be a character presence. His sudden break and then absence provided a lot of subtext to Eadgar, Eadward and Uhtræd as well, as characters, I hope. But don't get your hopes too high for right after this reunion, he was off to his home once again. Don't forget about the missing scene though. It very much plays into this but you just don't get to read it right now.

And thankfully not too many looked extremely close at Oscytel's screen because even I did not notice until I posted the scene that he was being tutored by the Pope, who now apparently resides in Nassau with the Emperor. :eek: I mentioned that he seemed priestly, but I did not realize how much until just now. I may have to make some alterations of what I have already written. ;)

The good news is that this work is far from over, I promise. It may come in different guises, but I've no desire to put down my virtual pen anytime soon. And the bad news is...there is no bad news so you folks are stuck with me for quite a lot longer. :D In fact, the next scene arrives right after this once I check one last time for typos and attach the screens. Your readership remains utmost in my motivations and I continue to thank you as much as I possibly can for your support!

The Rightful King

Gainsborough, England - January 1108

The Prince knocked on the door of his father’s private chamber. Hearing the familiar bellow, he entered with maps in his hands and a worried look. “Your Grace…I travel home to give you news.”

“Eadward!” the King stood with a large smile and moved to give his son a warm embrace, “It is good to see you. You were gone so quickly after the recent gathering…I thought mayhap that you had decided to forsake us all. Your lady wife and your child did miss you at this Mass of Christ.”

“I had my work before me, Your Grace,” Eadward gave a quick nod, “And I did feel…saddened to see my brother leave us once more.”

Eadgar offered him a curious eye, “You did quarrel…didn’t you?”

“No such a thing, Your Grace,” Eadward returned a slight smile, “We bonded as all brothers will do. It was good to see him but your realm requires constant vigilance. This work does never cease and I come bearing news that you must hear at the now.”

The King saw his son’s smile turn into a serious face and questioned, “What is of such great import that it causes you travel back from Somerset? I would always welcome you as does your family, of course, but…”

“I would see them, Your Grace, but first…” Eadward laid out a map on a nearby table, “…your lands in Normandy have found some change.”

Eadgar moved to look at the drawings and gave his son a sharp eye, “What is this that I spy?”

Eadward pointed to Vêndome, “As our Frankish neighbor has been through the paces over these last many years, some vultures seem to have come home to roost. Our Lord of Normandy’s Marshal…Earl William of Évreux…has found a tasty morsel in this place and has taken it for his own.”

The King looked back to the map with a serious gaze, “It seems that Normandy does grow.”

“Every day, Your Grace,” Eadward moved to replace one drawing with another, “It is not just the Earl but so too the lands in Mortain.”

“But what is this?” Eadgar looked back to his son with question.

Eadward pointed to the far region of Auvergne within France, “This be not hostile, as I understand it. It may, in truth, be a great gain of your royal laws. The French Queen may contest it, but what may she do with all of her lack of power?”

Eadgar looked at the map with a question still, “You will need to explain to me what is before my eyes, my son. I do not understand what claim Countess Mabel may have with such a place as Auvergne.”

“Some news does travel slowly, father,” Eadward looked to the King with a brief grin, “Especially news that comes from Normandy. The Countess of Mortain has passed away these past few months and having no issue, her title goes to her niece…a woman named Helvis.”

“This Helvis is her niece?” Eadgar kept his gaze on the drawing before him.

“She is that,” Eadward nodded, “And it was a twisted web to tease from these Normans but I believe I have placed the source. As you well know, The Bastard’s father had but two children, neither of which was legitimate…”

“Thus his moniker,” Eadgar chuffed, “Skip a bit if you may, my son.”

“I will try, Your Grace,” Eadward nodded, “But this does bear a reckoning. That old Robert of Normandy, I believe some have given him the name ‘The Magnificent’…he never married his mistress Herleva de Falaise but she herself did marry a Herluin de Conteville. That couple would go on to have three children and the youngest was a son Robert that would become Count of Mortain…or Earl, if you prefer. This was in the early days of the struggle and the eldest son of Herluin, Odo, died in battle giving martial aid to William here in England back in 1067.”

Eadgar sighed, “I never met the man.”

“Of course not…” Eadward allowed a brief smile as he continued, “…but this Earl of Mortain, Robert, had only two daughters. One was our Countess Mabel that inherited after him. The other was named Emma. Both sisters married well, but Emma de Conteville proved more fruitful as she married the Count of Auvergne and they had a girl child. Mabel proved barren and had no issue. So when the Countess died, her lands moved to this niece, Helvis. Emma de Conteville passed away many years ago and now her husband, the Count of Auvergne, has also passed at aged fifty two thus leaving his holding to his only child…this same Helvis.”

Eadgar nodded with little interest, “That is a fine history lesson. Well on her. Let her take her seat and be a part of this realm.”

Eadward kept his push, “The issue, Your Grace, is twofold. One is the lineage…this woman is of the de Normandie House and make no mistake. While the de Conteville family is not William’s…Countess Helvis’ grandfather was a natural brother to the Bastard. These de Conteville’s are well seeded throughout Normandy and have spread their issue wide.”

“Not wide enough,” Eadgar turned with a grin, “The man had but two daughters as I understand it.”

“That is fair enough, Your Grace,” Eadward nodded, “But the de Conteville’s are the issue of that old Duke of Normandy’s mistress, as I say…relation in kind to the Bastard and thus may feel some claim. While these two sisters are now gone from us leaving this one Countess…it presents an opportunity as much as it may a threat. In truth, there remain two that while no direct relation to our current Lord Robert, are high in his command…Jean and Richard de Conteville. At this time, Jean de Conteville is due to inherit Mortain and Auvergne should something ill occur to dear Helvis.”

Eadgar turned with some frustration, “My son, you may be clear with me for in my old age, I fear that my attention is challenged.”

“That brings me to my other point, Your Grace,” Eadward allowed a smile. “We may have chance to use these familial relationships against our current Lord of Normandy. While he holds great claim in his mind from his paternity, there are many more that may wish some change in his own lands. It is at once, both a worry but also a way to limit the man’s actions.”

“Hmm,” Eadgar looked back to the maps, “I believe you are finding ghosts when none are there to be had. It is a reach to think that these people are not beholden to our Lord Robert. He holds them in his hand.”

Eadward gave nod, “That is as may be, but there is something in the trying. I see more and more that he be no friend to you in any way and so I look. Mayhap it is time to release him from his position.”

Eadgar shifted between the two maps and then looked at his son, “I value the try, my son. I think you have a good head on this. But I be not yet ready to let this man loose. What I see is all of his gain and none of mine. I be certain that he sees the same. He is not a foolish man, no matter our thoughts on him.”

“I thought you should know,” Eadward moved to scroll up his drawings, “He finds more and more of a liking to his power and now even thinks himself a claimant to the Emperor’s chair in Germany.”

The King moved to pour himself a drink of ale as he laughed, “He thinks himself the heir to the Great Charles?! By God…the cheek of the man.”

Eadward stood tall with maps in hand, “I have heard it said…as long ago as a year this fortnight. He does not waste his time and moves ever forward with his goals.”

Eadgar turned with a grin, “Then I will allow you this chance to find his weakness and we may see if we can find a way to part ourselves from him if this opportunity presents itself.”

“He has been a poor master of spies,” Eadward nodded, “Of that, there can be no doubt.”

“We shall need another and a better man,” Eadgar was quick to say as he moved to take his drink.

Eadward offered a bow, “I would put myself to that task at the now, Your Grace.”

“Very well,” the King smiled, “Do your diligence and we shall see what may come of it. For the now, we have a larger realm. You would make it stronger, I have no doubt.”

And you may be more right than you know

Only then will we find out

Maybe they both will.

And of course, wait and see.

Normandy has gotten to the point where it is in a position not unlike that of the Burgundians at the beginning of their rise to power (those were the guys that essentially created the modern lowland countries and the reason why Charles V's empire was so ungodly massive). They have lands of great value wedged in between some powerful enemies, and can, if done right, play all three enemies (England, France and the HRE) off of each other to gain more and more independence. Though to be fair, since this version of France is very weak, it's more likely that England and HRE will fight over it piecemeal, meaning Norman lands will be fronts and battlegrounds in rather large wars.

And England has to be worried about the Normans at this point. Mercia has been dealt with for now by being ran by a female child but Normandy is across the water and very quickly becoming the second most powerful player in France. If they keep their English land too...we might end up seeing a hundreds year war in reverse. As ever, it depends on what the Germans end up doing.

Poor France ...

Is it just me or is Eadger's mind starting to slow a little here? He just doesn't seem quite as deft as he has done in the past.

s it just me or is Eadger's mind starting to slow a little here? He just doesn't seem quite as deft as he has done in the past.
That occured to me as well... He might be going downhill. Knowing CK2, it's a matter of time then, and not too much either.

As for the Pope tutoring the child, I noticed that, but figured he was sent to Rome for that. I guess I didn't look close enough.:D

Fb-fb:

And of course, wait and see.

Normandy has gotten to the point where it is in a position not unlike that of the Burgundians at the beginning of their rise to power (those were the guys that essentially created the modern lowland countries and the reason why Charles V's empire was so ungodly massive). They have lands of great value wedged in between some powerful enemies, and can, if done right, play all three enemies (England, France and the HRE) off of each other to gain more and more independence. Though to be fair, since this version of France is very weak, it's more likely that England and HRE will fight over it piecemeal, meaning Norman lands will be fronts and battlegrounds in rather large wars.

And England has to be worried about the Normans at this point. Mercia has been dealt with for now by being ran by a female child but Normandy is across the water and very quickly becoming the second most powerful player in France. If they keep their English land too...we might end up seeing a hundreds year war in reverse. As ever, it depends on what the Germans end up doing.
An interesting thought there about a reverse hundred's year war. I admit, I had not considered that but you may be right. That is certainly a possible outcome. However, your final thought is right on target - what will the HRE do? As of now, there seems to be no ill will there and no desire on the part of the Emperor to take any lands within England itself. If war comes, it will likely be over Norman or better yet Flemish lands.

There is no doubt that Normandy has grown considerably and I was truly shocked when the inheritance pulled in Auvergne right in the middle of France. You are correct to suggest they resemble Burgundy from the 15th century, and Robert has much the same quasi-independent power to make that analogy even more perfect. The question, I suppose, is - what will he do with it? England is definitely worried about the situation. See the next scene for more on this.

Poor France ...

Is it just me or is Eadger's mind starting to slow a little here? He just doesn't seem quite as deft as he has done in the past.
I don't even know what to say about France in this timeline. That they are fractious is not unlike OTL, but they are being torn apart by others while they remain as a loose group of highly independent Lords. Without a strong monarch (which they have not had since Philippe, I would argue) they will continue to be food for the carrion around them. I think it is that weak central figure that continues this constant warfare. Paris is no longer safe, so the Queen has moved to Anjou at this point. And that is right across the border from Normandy (and Brittany, for that matter.)

As for Eadgar, I admit that I included a few lines in there to show his aging. He may have lost a step, but he does remain as sharp as ever at the things he cares about the most. Again, see the next scene.

That occured to me as well... He might be going downhill. Knowing CK2, it's a matter of time then, and not too much either.

As for the Pope tutoring the child, I noticed that, but figured he was sent to Rome for that. I guess I didn't look close enough.:D
It was not so much a gameplay event that caused my addition of his confusion as much as it was a character choice. But yes, Eadgar is getting older by the day.

And I really must research what has happened with the Pope. I admit that I have not paid too terribly much attention to that part of the game but it seems that there is a schism involved with a Pope and Anti-Pope out there somewhere. But this does play into Oscytel's raising in a way and I will discuss it when the time comes. Stay tuned.

To all - the next scene arrives in mere moments. In it, we will return to a familiar theme and hopefully show that Eadgar is not quite so slow in his old age that this last scene perhaps suggested. I will let you good folks determine that. :) Thank you, as always, for your incredible support and great comments!

The Rightful King

Rhuddlan, Wales - May 1108

Wulfnoth of Flint did his best to rouse the two bodies asleep in the bed, “My Lord…you must awaken. The King arrives and will be to you presently!”

Eadward rolled over and spied Madrun at first but then looked up to his man with a shock, “My father is here?!”

“He is and with a large train, my Lord,” the master of spies looked seriously to his liege.

The Prince pushed at Madrun to wake her and she resisted at first before finally calling out, “What is it?!”

“You must be gone from here and in this instant!” Eadward moved to shove her from the bed.

Wulfnoth turned his back as the naked Madrun finally stood and looked back at Eadward with anger, “I had thought our night together a fine one until the now! If you be a Prince then you are a rude one!”

Eadward stood and moved to find his breeches, “The King has arrived. You must not be here when he finds me!”

“Your father?” Madrun asked as she pulled a throw around her body, “Why is he coming to see you?”

“I do not know,” Eadward sat to pull on his breeches and looked to her with intensity, “It matters not that he comes, but it matters more that he not find you in my bed.”

Madrun cocked her hip and let the cover slip from her shoulders not caring if Wulfnoth saw her naked body, “Do you really think he would find any care in the world? By God…you are a man as much as he.”

Wulfnoth shifted to cover her again as he moved to take her from the room, “The Prince would not like the King to know of this so you must go, my Lady. Come…there is a fresh room just down the way.”

“Unhand me!” Madrun pulled away from Eadward’s master of spies and looked to the Prince, “Your father will find out about us now or later if he does not know already.”

Eadward pleaded with her in his eyes, “I would rather it be later. Please let Wulfnoth take you at the now.”

A heavy knock at the door roused them all as the call came, “Quick, quick…the King!”

Wulfnoth was just able to push Madrun through a hidden door as the King entered his son’s chamber, “Still in bed? What worth have you? It is poor enough that I find you at Rhuddlan when you should be in Somerset, but you make yourself idle?”

The Prince threw on a shirt and stood, “Father…Your Grace…I did not expect you.”

“Why would you?” Eadgar looked around the room, “I go on progress to see what you may have done with this place and find myself shocked that you are even here.”

“I did not know that you were to go on progress, Your Grace,” Eadward moved to find his boots.

“I grow bored and restless,” Eadgar moved further into the room to find a chair, “I thought a journey to this far reach just the thing but as I say…I did not expect you to be here.”

“And I did not expect your arrival,” Eadward was quick to say as he pulled on his other boot.

Eadgar spied a skirt in the corner of the room and pointed, “What is this? Either you play at some game, sir or I know well why your lady wife stays in Gainsborough.”

“Something for my Judith…I would call on her as soon as this place be ready for my family,” Eadward offered a quick smile.

The King raised his brow, “There is something amiss here, my son. It is a warm morrow, but you sweat more than you should.”

“I am simply shocked, father,” Eadward suggested with a smile as he moved to find the King some ale, “I did not think to find you here and so I am surprised. I would have made all manner of arrangements had I known. But you must be thirsty.”

Eadgar kept his curious gaze but nodded, “Ale would do me well, no doubt. And it is good to have chance to speak with you for I was to write to you soon.”

Eadward poured his father a cup and brought it to him, “Really? About what?”

The King accepted it and took a long drink before looking back with a frown, “Our favorite person…or should I say persons?”

“Really?” Eadward sat opposite his father, “There is more than one?”

“Is there not always?” Eadgar raised his cup, “And cheers to them all. Most of all to my Duke of York who now finds himself married and likes me not in any way though I did my best to teach him all I may know.”

Eadward offered a nervous smile, “Your Duke remains young and will no doubt come to love you as all others do, Your Grace.”

Eadgar shrugged, “I know not, but it remains a vexing issue. Though not as vexing as our master of spies. I have thought long and hard on your words to me and I think it time if you have the candidate to replace him.”

“You speak of Robert of Normandy?” Eadward asked with his own curiosity, “Has some thing changed that causes you to question more than before?”

The King continued to look around the disheveled room as he answered, “No more than usual, but I fear I must offer my Marshal a sop if nothing else. These two remain at odds with one another and I must now pick a side, though I would wish not to do so.”

“Lord Skuli does not find his victory?” Eadward asked as he too looked around to find any incriminating evidence.

Eadgar turned back to his son with a frown, “He does not. The Lord Marshal holds England while Robert keeps his own in Normandy and has made great gain in Brugge.”

The Prince forgot his ruse for a moment and sat back to look at the King, “So you would punish the Norman Duke? He is to lose his place even as he finds his advantage?”

“I would do so if you have a suitable man, as I say,” Eadgar nodded as he looked around some more before looking back to his son, “Have you found one?”

“I have certainly searched through a good many men to find one that you may favor,” Eadward nodded.

“Not well enough if you laze about abed when the sun has shown for some good while now,” the King gave him a sharp eye.

Eadward stood to find some notes, “There was one man I thought you might consider.”

“Oh?” Eadgar raised a brow, “What be his name?”

“Well…” Eadward found the parchment he was looking for and handed it to the King, “…the problem is that he be very old.”

Eadgar laughed, “So am I. In truth, so be Robert of Normandy. That should not disqualify a soul.”

“Not as old as our Mayor of Penrith,” Eadward answered as he watched his father read.

The King read through his son’s notes for a bit before looking up with a curious eye, “This Brice of Penrith nears eighty? And yet remains in good health?”

“He does at that, Your Grace,” Eadward gave nod, “And his people find great favor for him and from him. The Lord Skuli has told me he thinks highly of the man from his time in Cumberland and I believe it would help cement your place in those parts to have a man such as Mayor Brice as part of your privy council.”

“Can he be trusted?” Eadgar raised a brow.

Eadward again nodded, “I have met with the man and think his answers to me to be true. Besides…one does not maintain his power to such a late age without some great political skill.”

The King looked down at the parchment some more, “I must admit that I do not remember the man from my time at Teviotdale but I had little reason to travel south in those days. I must think that Duke Gospatric must have have found some favor for him as he was quite involved with his vassal lords.”

“Very well,” Eadgar stood to pour himself some more ale, “You may invite him to court and we shall see what our Lord Robert thinks of this.”

Eadward watched his father smile, “The Norman Duke will surely smart from such an act but it may prove to bring his true crimes out into the public eye.”

Eadgar finished pouring his drink and noticed a wadded up ladies shift under the table. He did not say anything at first as he took a small drink but then turned to his son with a grin, “As mayhap the garment at my feet may do for you?”

“It is no thing…” Eadward was quick to rush and scoop it up as his father cut him off.

“You may leave the item as the Lady may wish it back and at least she may know where she left it.”

The Prince found the curious grin on his father’s face disconcerting and tried to explain, “Surely a forgetful chamber maid, father.”

Eadgar shook his head with a slight smile, “I think not. Unless the Lady Madrun has gone from stoking your fire to cleaning your chamber pot…Has she?”

“She…” Eadward began to say but found a loss of words.

The King moved to sit once more and looked to his son plainly, “Eadward…I be no fool. I believe I have known for some time, though I cannot say when it finally dawned on me. Mayhap the familiar way in which she spoke of you in her letters to me during the war. She has great spirit. Of that, there can be no doubt. At first, I thought she meant to tease at me. After the war’s end and her time at court, I found her teasing aimed elsewhere. I can see a glance as well as any skilled soldier. And that she did not put up much fight as I took her lands in front of all of my Lords? I knew there was a reason.”

“I could not resist her,” Eadward sat on his bed with shame.

“I be certain that few men could,” Eadgar leaned forward, “But you would do well to look to your lady wife. I be no saint, my son…I have been a soldier and know well the thirsts of men. I begrudge no man for taking his earthly pleasures while at battle as long as he remains true to his family and his house. Our House is larger than most and you do not go to battle.”

“It began while we were at war with…” Eadward began to explain but Eadgar held up a hand.

“I care not for your words on the matter, my son,” he suggested with a sharp eye. “You are a man and will make your mistakes as we all do. Confess your sins to God and no other. I would simply tell you to take great care in your actions for they speak on the crown as much as they may for your own worth.”

Eadward stood, “No man knows of this!”

“No?” Eadgar crooked his brow in question, “Not a one? Can you be sure? Your own men clearly do and men will talk. I was able to discover the truth with very little sleuthing, I must say. You spend much time here and close to her home. I ride up to your keep and see her livery about. One sharp eye may be all it takes to start a rumor and a whispering game soon becomes a river of considered knowledge.”

“You knew that she would be here,” Eadward suggested with certainty as he folded his arms and returned his father’s gaze.

Eadgar took a drink and then answered, “I had a good idea that she might. Be certain in your thinking that you are not the only man in my employ. If I am hearing the whispering of men, then think of who else may hear the same?”

The Prince moved to find his surcoat, “It may all be explained by my position as Chancellor. My role calls on me to speak with a great many people of power and of course, I may invite some to my home for a meeting in your name. That her realm remains so close to this one, it would seem a natural enough thing. All very innocent.”

“Except it is not in my name,” Eadgar stood and moved to stop his son, “And not so very innocent. Does your lady wife know of this?”

“She does not,” Eadward turned and stood tall.

Eadgar grabbed his son’s arm and moved him to sit, “Good! And you will keep her ignorant of it in every way. You will call the Lady Judith to this home and install her as your Countess and raise your child with her here as any good Earl may do with his family.”

Eadward moved to stand and Eadgar pushed him back into his seat, “You will not bring this woman to your keep again and if you do see her again, you will make certain that it be as discreet as possible.”

“I did not…” Eadward began to say before his father cut him off again.

Eadgar looked down with stern eyes, “And I do mean discreet! There will be no bastards running in my family. Do you understand my words?”

“We have always taken great pains to be careful,” Eadward suggested with indignation.

The King kept his stern gaze, “Not careful enough.”

The Prince moved to stand once more and his father allowed it. Eadward moved to pour himself a cup of ale and then turned back, “There be no bastard out there…I assure you. This was but an indiscretion and one easily remedied by our own words should anyone find question in it.”

Eadgar did not mean to laugh, but could not help himself, “There is no little remedy when it comes to a man like Robert of Normandy. How many times have we said that he be his father’s son? Eadward…I have had enough of Bastard’s in my time.”

“I tell you that there be no bastard!” Eadward moved to find…something…anything to look away from his father.

“Eadward?” the King looked to his son with a certain eye, “If I hear different, then I promise you that it will be disowned by this family and so will you…every single member of your line, legitimate or no.”

The Prince finally looked to his father again and saw the serious look on his face. He took a step forward and bent to a knee, “I promise you, Your Grace…there be no shame on this House.”

Eadgar moved to pull his son to stand and looked him clearly in the eye, “I know there will be no shame as I have told you that there will not be. I hold a right head even if you are in the throes of some cunning woman. What I will do to make certain that all eyes are satisfied serves me just as well as any other.”

“You would be happy to cast me out?” Eadward looked to his father with some shock.

“Nay,” Eadgar was quick to answer, “That would tear at my heart as if I broke it apart myself. I have no wish for that as you are my very own. But I tell you straight that I will act if forced to do so. That, however, is not my meaning.”

“Then what do you mean?” Eadward asked with some confusion.

“I presume the Lady is still here?” Eadgar asked in return with an arched brow still.

Eadward nodded reluctantly, “She is. Would you wish to speak with her?”

“I would leave that to you, sir,” Eadgar answered as he moved to finish his drink and placed down his cup. He turned back to his son with certainty, “What I will do is make a fantastic story that will ring true to all in the realm should any person wish to ask. You may tell her from me this story I weave. I made progress here this day to inform the Lady of Gwynedd that she has no longer any Kingdom of her own, petty or no. From this day hence, I shall have the Duchy of Gwynedd as part of my personal reckoning. This she was told and this she had no issue with as she was quite eager to take my previous words to her as a grievous challenge and wished to have no more part of blood spilt over her desires. The Lady declared me as King of Wales to all of our Lords and they will believe this as it is no lie.”

Eadward looked to his father with a pained face, “She will not like this.”

The King moved to the door, “I care not of her liking, my Lord. You may assuage her feelings by telling the Lady that she keeps her own country…for the now. And then you will send her on her way. I will keep the name of the crown honest, she will keep whatever dignity she may have left to her…and you will make certain that I have not this to do again in my lifetime.”

“I am sorry, father…” Eadward lowered his head, “…Your Grace.”

Eadgar held his hand on the door handle before letting it go and turning back to his son, “You need not find sorrow, Eadward. But you are too smart a man to have fallen prey to such a foul bird. She has used her cunny instead of her mind, however, so all is not lost. This lady hoped to use you as a means to keep herself safe but we need not play by her rules.”

When Eadward looked to his father with some confusion, Eadgar offered a smile, “By all means…keep seeing the woman. Just make certain that when you do, it serves the realm and not your cock. It is far easier to play to the favors of our Lords, than the women who may try and play to your own. As a man, do not ever lose your head. And remember my words for I mean them in every way.”

The Prince watched his father leave the room and heaved a sigh of relief. That lasted for but a moment. Now he had to tell Madrun of what he had said. Duly chastened by the King, he began to think of ways to make that conversation work. He moved to the table and drank a small cup of ale. Eadward then called for Wulfnoth.

I am not surprised Eadger has found fault, and it all fits into the pattern of these later years. Everything is focused on Uhtræd. Everything. And everything perceived as a threat to Uhtræd's future reign is to be sacrificed.

As for Eadwerd, this is a life lesson.

You know, I'm not a fan of Eadgar here. For all his moralizing here, this is a man who plotted to, and successfully, murdered a child to gain the throne. Eadward potentially siring a bastard with Madrun is small potatoes compared to that. It's funny because here Eadward's relative youth and lack of first hand experience of the wars hurts him - I doubt Uthread would have let his father talk to him like that, knowing what he knows.

That said, if Eadgar's goal is to stabilize the realm for Uthread, then I can't help but feel this threat is empty or at least shortsighted. In fact, I'd argue if Eadgar thinks on it, he would realize the opposite would likely occur if he took such a drastic action - it would potentially make for a testier rival claimant who is more inclined to cause trouble. Just ask Richard II how disinheriting uncles and cousins worked out for him.

I'm getting a bit of a different read on that conversation than JabberJock here. I don't think it's Eadgar's intent to "moralize" to Eadward or threaten him; otherwise he would have just told him to stop seeing Madrun at all. Instead, I think Eadgar's trying to clue him in to the fact that he might not be as clever as he thinks he is, on two counts:

1. Eadgar has been playing this game for decades longer than Eadward has; therefore, the idea that he can hide anything from his father is folly.
2. If Eadgar can find out about Madrun so easily despite all the precautions Eadward (thinks he) has taken, then so can someone who might try to use that knowledge to do real damage.

Ok I have just caught up and here's my take:

• 1st would a Saxon King at that time really have had issue with his son having a mistress? I think not. That said the further I read the more it seems the issue that the king has is the choice of mistress-fair enough but it did come across in the early exchanges that the king was moralising when in that day and age it was not an uncommon thing (nay even expected) that great lords would take mistresses to their beds.
  • Why is Edward also allied with Skuli in his war with Due Robert? `Did I miss something?
  • Good call by the king in his usurpation by the way-the higher the demesne the better
  • Why is there always a cup of ale to hand? :p I am slightly tongue in cheek with that one but it is something to consider

I do love the exchanges by the way and another question did the rules on rude words suddenly get relaxed as I note the site no longer seems to try and alter them?