• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Reims
Pt. 2

Catherine Bassot was the daughter of a local merchant, sister to a younger brother, and twenty-two years of age. Her father was a trader of salt, a common necessity of the times. Her family has lived in Reims for as long as any family member remembers. Her father though has been beset by sickness in his age, making her brother in charge of trade operations. Catherine has been taking care of her father for months. Yet, on this particular trip to the market, she found herself in the presence of the Comte de L'Isle Jourdain, deep in thought and stewing. He offered to walk her home, and she accepted. From there, he told his story, from his youth as an emigree, to his return as a Peer, to his marriage to the Prince of Conde's mistress, to said mistress leaving him after he prodded her with questions in a state of paranoia. He poured all his anxiety on her, and she was at first overwhelmed. Yet, she was a helpful ear to his sorrows.

"You sound like you got duped into this whole affair." she said to the Comte.

"Indeed. I was foolishly short-sighted in the whole thing. Now my wife is going off making a fool of me across France. I do not know where she went, probably to visit her other son, yet I do not wish to pursue. She is going to be the ruin of me I tell you..." said the Comte.

"You dont have purpose it seems..." said Catherine

"Excuse me?"

"You dont have a purpose. You came back without a goal, without an ideal, without anything silly. You went with the flow of society, and society in return bit you in the rear-end!"

"Quite offensive coming from you madame!" said the Comte, getting notably frustrated.

"You just went with what everyone else was going with. You sought approval and prestige, but that has only made you a target!"

"I think that is enough." said the Comte, holding up a hand to the girl's lips.

"Your excellency, from what you have shared with me, that is the obvious problem. In your attempt to be accepted by this nation, you were rejected. So why try and follow them?" said Catherine.

"How else am I to get by in this country?" said the Comte.

"No one has ever made it by being like everyone else." said Catherine, putting a hand on the Comte's face. She pulled it away once she realized what she was doing. "Perhaps I can help you obtain a purpose in this country. After all, are you not one of the richest men in France?" asked Catherine.

"I am..." said the Comte.

"Then start acting like it!" said Catherine. "You can afford to be different, your excellency!" said Catherine.

The Comte thought on what she said, but as he was thinking, they approached Catherine's home. The two parted ways, but the Comte was not done with her yet. As he walked back to his temporary residence, he began to think of new ideas to explore...

To His Royal Highness, the Prince of Condé ((PRIVATE - @Sneakyflaps))

Dear father,

Thank you for your letter.

It is good to know that, with my having previously served as an elected Deputy, the commander of a departmental legion, the Minister of the Interior, and a staff colonel, you have just now begun to take delight in my progress as a man.

Your monumental patience and ceaseless endurance are duly recognized. I will note that, as the illegitimate spawn of an opera singer, the general anticipation was that I was to be a wastrel living on his noble father's dole; instead, I have tirelessly served France in both government and in the military. I therefore believe that I have somewhat exceeded the expectations put before me.

The circumstances under which I addressed the noble lady of Pisany, which is how I was introduced to her and to her aunt, who I believed to be her guardian, were unique and shall not be replicated. It is my fervent hope that you shall not be called upon for further discussions regarding the matter.

Thank you for taking the time to instruct me in how to conduct myself as a gentleman and a public figure. Do give my best to Sophia.

Your devoted son,
Henri
To Her Highness, the Princess of Croÿ ((PRIVATE - @Eid3r))

Your Highness,

I sincerely apologize for my breach in proper behavior, for which I earnestly hope that you shall forgive me. My actions were untoward and unworthy of my noble house, as well as an affront to your dignity and that of your noble daughter, whose goodwill I cherish.

Nevertheless, despite what has transpired, I hope that you shall extend to me the hand of mercy and permit me to continue correspondence with your daughter, whom I greatly admire, though I be unworthy of her attentions or your grace.

Please do not hesitate to further inform me of how I may redeem myself in your eyes and in the eyes of your house, so that my presence may be acceptable once more. Please also find enclosed a note to your daughter, which I hope that you shall convey to her.

Your humble and obedient servant,
Henri Jules de Bourbon

To the Most Honorable Amélie Constance, Marquise of Armentiéres ((PRIVATE - @Eid3r))

My Lady,

I have been informed by the most reputable sources that I have committed a grave offense against your noble honor and your dignity as a gentlewoman. In attempting to correspond with Your Ladyship without first receiving the explicit permission of your noble mother, I have acted contrary to proper behavior. Therefore, I sincerely apologize.

I have been further informed that my taste in literature is low and unworthy of your noble attention. Therefore, in place of my original literary gift, please accept this copy of Chateaubriand's Atala, which I believe should be sufficiently conservative so as to meet with Your Ladyship's approval. I sincerely apologize for my previous choice.

Finally, I have earnestly pledged to undertake any further task which shall redeem my debased honor in the eyes of either your lady mother or your house. Such a pledge further extends to Your Ladyship, in whose eyes I am certainly most unworthy. Do not hesitate to call upon me should I be able to perform a task or service which might meet with even the least of Your Ladyship's approval.

Sincerely,
Henri Jules de Bourbon

Main Banquet Hall, Reims

M. de Bourbon glanced up from his deeply engrossing conversation and spied the incoming Saint-Aignan. Fortunately for the younger man, over a year and a half of Council meetings with the man had schooled him in the fine art of a pleasantly neutral expression. Only the lady of Pisany would be able to hear the faint mutter that sounded suspiciously like 'God help us all.'

Once Saint-Aignan stopped and made his introductions, Henri inclined his head and replied. Fortunately, his own distaste for the man was thoroughly submerged by bastard's instinct and long schooling.

"Good evening, my lord. A pleasure as always. Yes, indeed, the topic of modern literature had just arisen. Your own thoughts are naturally welcome."

Hôtel de Croÿ, Paris
Residence of the Marquesse d’Armentières

The young Marquess of Armentières’ face gradually whitened as she read the most recent – and not the only – correspondence of Monsieur de Bourbon. She dropped the letter on the floor as a powerful sentiment of anger was rising inside her. She cycled in her head the possible outcomes. Faint? No, she was alone in her room. Scream? No, she was alone in her room. Break something? No, she is in her room, it is her stuff and she could break her nails doing so. She stormed out of her room, slamming the door loudly and taking no care of not being noisy as she crossed the long corridor leading to her mother’s apartment.

- MOTHER! WHAT-DID-YOU-DO?

She literally gaveled at the door and opened it in a unnecessary rudeness. Flushed with anger, she saw her mother, the Princess, carefully seated in a corner of the room, reading her bible. Of course she was reading her bible!

Croÿ: Amélie, you were saying my dear child? I had a most unpleasant time trying to decipher your barbaric shouting through the walls and my door, as was surely the case of all passerbies on the street and our neighbours.

The Princess rose and proceeded to shut the window.

Armentières: How could you, in MY HOUSE, intercept MY OWN MAIL?

Croÿ: Your house, child, was purchased by your father. Your possession of it is merely temporary and a most fickle things as all of this –she gestured around- will revert back to your future husband.

Armentières: You had no right to violate my privacy, Mother!

Croÿ: I had all the rights, petulant child! Look at you. Who do you think we are? I graced you with a pretty face, your father with a noble name. This name is more important than you would think, and I shall certainly not let you debase the memory of your own father further.

Armentières: What is the harm in me receiving letter Mother?

Croÿ: Unsollicited missives go against the very rules of our upper society. You certainly know that. Your father would have never behaved in such a wanton way. He was a most proper man, and he obtained permission before writing to me.

Armentières: But those rules are outdated, Mother. The last time you courted was ... a revolution, an empire, and a restoration ago!

Croÿ: And yet, child, not much has change. And should the word go out that Amélie Constance d’Armentières can be treated so lightly, with few regards in matter of her womanly pride and modesty, just how long do you think you will be able to frequent the high society before being cast out, shamefully returning to Lille with your broken dreams in tow?

She was thoroughly defeated. She knew it. What do to now? Faint? No, it would look stupid. Scream? To no avail. Break something? It was still her house. She the elected to throw at her mother’s feet the book that came with the message. The Princess quirked an eyebrow, inquisitively.

Armentières : Have a pleasant reading mother. Châteaubriand, a most gray, dull and conservative choice. I hope you are pleased. Maybe if I am lucky, I shall received a bible next time.

She stormed out of the room, under the prideful impression of having won something with her last act of bravado.

Last edited:
Om938ZB.jpg

His Most Christian Majesty, the King of France, Charles X, had returned from the coronation with the matters of governance deferred to his Ministry and his Chambers. His Majesty was not yet contented with the affairs of state, but he nonetheless was patient in his observances of the deliberations in the Chamber and the procession of his Government's laws. In the intermission between the coronation of his person and the ruminations of the legislation, His Majesty's attention floated to the social gossips of Paris and the Kingdom. He had first been informed, after his deliverance to Rheims, that the bastard son of the prince de Condé, Phillipe-Henri, had bestowed upon the petit-fils de France a gift of some sentimental significance; the King had pondered whether the boy himself had chosen the gift, or if his father had been the mastermind, but the king decided not to burden his faculties by such a consideration. He simply resolved himself to the plan he had agreed to long ago—as a consequence of his natural proclivity for intrigue—and fell dreamily into the regal sleep, reviewing his plan for the young bastard.

Concurrently, Paris was abuzz with the scandalous return of Sophia Dawes, who the king, in court, had declared "naught more than a commoner street-wench yet tragically bereft of any skills of the trade." He thought of the poor comte de L'Isle Jourdain who had been foolish enough to challenge the young madame in person. He even thought of the progeny of his old friend, the comte de Saint Germain, and to what extent their elopement had proceeded. He had made no conclusions on that affair, but hoped for the best. Finally, he had turned a hardened heart to his bastard cousin, the Henri Bourbon, a man who he had never held in high regard, and knew others, who shared his sympathies...

(Private - @etranger01)

Letter from the Marquesse of Armentières to Monsieur Henri Bourbon

Dear Monsieur Bourbon,

Kindly acknowledge my heartfelt sorrow for the difficult predicament you have found yourself cast into by the proper etiquette which should have been employed in our previous exchange and which is observed in a rather largely literal fashion by my esteemed Mother.

While searching for a silver lining to this episode, I must say that it taught me a thing or two about the trust I can place into my servants.

It is my strong wish to impart upon your person my gratitude for the wonderful gift of the Attala by Châteaubriand, an absolute classic of an age past which would find its natural place in the library of the current ministry. The thoughtfulness of your gesture was not lost on me. However, my curiosity is rather piqued as to the nature of the book you initially sent for me.

It would be most kind of yourself not to let me hang on to this mystery for too long a time while waiting for your next letter, which I hope, will be forthcoming.

osDATZ3.png

To the Most Honorable Amélie Constance, Marquise of Armentiéres ((PRIVATE - @Eid3r))

Dear Milady,

I regret that my intemperate behavior has caused Your Ladyship even the smallest sorrow and that my actions were not appropriate to the pre-Revolutionary etiquette which now reigns alongside our gracious king. I will be conscious in the future of Your Ladyship's lady mother's requirement that a thoroughly rigid standard of behavior be upheld at all times.

It is difficult indeed to find a servant in which one can repose utmost trust. I am fortunate in having acquired my own manservant, a rather taciturn Breton fellow, from my departed mentor. Such men are worth their weight in gold.

I agree entirely as to the proper place -- or perhaps rather the proper time -- of Chateaubriand. Given Your Ladyship's expressed enthusiasm for his works, I have enclosed a copy of his Genius of Christianity, so as to lend its weighty solemnity to this missive.

I feel that his Genius is a far more appropriate gift, suitable to Your Ladyship's august dignity, than my original foray into the unknowable field of gift-giving: a signed first edition of M. Cazal's Apories. Naturally Your Ladyship will agree with Your Ladyship's lady mother and my lord father that such a gift is entirely inappropriate, as would be most modern literature and, indeed, anything made, written, or thought of during or after the Revolution.

I do hope that the delay in my reply, which I estimate to have been at least a quarter-hour following receipt of your own much-awaited letter, has not been so extended so as to put Your Ladyship to any discomfort. I also retain my hope that my reply finds you in good spirits and in good health.

Your faithful correspondent,
Henri Jules de Bourbon

Promotions Awaiting the King's Command
The Ministry of War recommends to His Most Christian Majesty and the General Staff that Colonel Auguste-Marie Chagnon, Colonel Nathanaël Barrande the Count de L'Isle Jourdain, Colonel Alexandre Louis Desrosiers Baron de Roybon, and Colonel Henri Bourbon all be promoted to Brigadier Generals in recognition of their great service during our Divinely sanctioned and blessed intervention in Spain. Further I wish to request that the Marshal Bourier replace the Marshal Saint-Cyr on the General Staff in recognition for the great services he has rendered to God, King, and Country. Your Majesty's wish is the ultimate word and course of my lifeblood.

Le Vicomte de Saint Fulgent, le Ministre de la guerre

(Private - @etranger01)

Letter from the Marquesse of Armentières to Monsieur Henri Bourbon

Dear Monsieur Bourbon,

Rest assured that your behavior has not caused much sorrow on my part, given a most temperate nature bequeathed to me, I assume, by the Almighty. It did set the heart of my esteemed mother aflutter, which may or may not have been an altogether unforeseen consequence. I shall take very kindly your offer of demonstrating the most profound adherence to etiquette, given its paramount place in our society, which rests on important pillars such as the crown, the church and of course, proper etiquette.

Indeed, you are most fortunate to have received a servant of such quality in your employment. Paris is a city of delight but also of gossip, and finding new personnel here is a most arduous task. As for my household, it was mainly assembled by my late father and, owning to my feminine character, I have not mustered yet the courage to part with some of them.

I must once again commit my gratitude to paper for the beautiful gift of which you have endowed me. I always found great peace by reading an rereading Genius of Christianity. In fact, unbeknown to you, it is one of the few ouvrages which I keep in my nightstand, should emotions trouble me at night.

With regards to your initial gift, I must concur with your judgement and defer to my mother's appreciation of the most inappropriateness of modern literature, which is bound to open the door of one's mind to all sorts of influences, rendering the fortress of one's consciousness vulnerable to new ideas. However, given that your intention were undeniably of the purest form, I have deployed much personal industry in retrieving the book, for which I must admit that I am very pleased of your delicate attention.

Rest assured that your reply has not kept me long in waiting, I was certainly not expecting a response within the same day, as you are of course a busy personage. While I do cherish and value our correspondence, I feel a less tedious medium of communication might be of use.

I have heard that at this time of the year, the flowers adorning Place Louis XVI are blooming and that the whole scene is quite worth the view.

Rest assured, Dear Monsieur Bourbon, of my esteemed friendship.

osDATZ3.png

0eb0yjG.jpg
Adventure!​
Roger "Filanchi" Disney
As Disney had settled into his small house within Saint-Lo, his mind inevitably turned towards the necessities of life. His time in the New World had been spent on the very edge of society, the swamps of Florida, the woods of Louisiana, the mountains of Oaxaca. What fed him was nature, as was that which clothed him, sheltered him, and in all endeavors sustained him.

But in France, the urban and civilized world? He would have to pursue other avenues.

Such pondering led to the creation of what Disney would call "Les Aventures Filanchi" (Trans: The Filanchi Adventures). Proposed not as a single book, but a series of continually running short stories, Les Aventures Filanchi would be based on his exploits in the New World. Although it was written in the third-person, the main character "Filanchi" was but a thinly-veiled and somewhat heroized version of himself, bearing his own nickname. Even the illustrations were taken directly from Disney's personal journal.

Bereft of a publisher or a patron in any regard, Disney committed his own meager inheritance to publish the first edition, to which he distributed personally to his friends who he then further bid to spread word of his works. Confident - or perhaps desperate? - Disney would travel to Paris to submit his works across whatever writing circle would lend an ear.

Below is an except from his very first edition:

MXsUVJs.jpg

Les Aventures Filanchi

The Jagged Maw of the American Swamp!
"Striding under the Sun, its rays rendered minor beneath the omnipresent fog of sweat that was the Floridian Summer, Filanchi entered into the glade. The lush foliage of the region, which hanged down in large, viridian clumps, gave way to open air, a reprieve that gave way to the endless American Sky - cloudless and bluer than he had ever seen.

Before him stood a trio of his tawny-skinned fellows, chief of which was one they called Tullockchishko, meaning "Drinks the Juice of the Stones". And certainly Filanchi would believe it possible that this Choctaw man would indeed be able to produce juice from stones, as despite his small, native frame, his strength seemed apparent. These peoples - thought Filanchi - were true men of Nature, products of lives lived in constant exertion, but likewise constant freedom.

Tullockchishko held a stubby finger to his cracked lips, biding silence, while likewise beckoning Filanchi closer. With a nod, Filanchi did as his friends asked, excited for the prospects of the day's adventures.

In whispers, all three Choctaw men spoke of a great beast - yes, a great beast of scale and tooth and claw! A beast too wild for France, nay, for all of Europe! One can only laugh at its diminutive cousins that live in the lands of Africa - this was a true American beast. In the native tongue, it was Hachunchuba. Still unsure? Perhaps you may know its more common name, the Alligator.

As long as three men grown put together and weighing far more, the Hachunchuba was a predator of unprecedented danger, as was relayed to Filanchi with all due seriousness. Laying wait in the murky depths, it would snatch men and drown them sooner than his fellows could jump to his aid.

And to that, Filanchi knew his course. He would emulate the historic figures of heroism, the dragon-slayers of yore, knights armed with lance to pierce the scaly hide of a monster. Filanchi would slay the Hachunchuba..."

To Henri Jules de Bourbon (PRIVATE - @etranger01)

Henri,

Mother finally came back she told me that the bull you gave me is the Miurat bull. She told me they are the fiercest bulls in the whole world. She also took me riding the other day into the forest next to the house together with one of my tutors. She also told me that you made father angry. Is that right? I hope you and father are not yelling at each other again.

Father told me he wants me to learn how to dance probably. He wants me to be able to dance like a proper prince so that I can come more often to court. I also drew a painting of you from the coronation. When will come and visit? Father tought me how to hunt.

Philippe

(Together with the letter is a poor drawing attempt of a man in a uniform sitting in a chair.)

La Journal des Debats

Reflections on the War in Spain and the Work of Le Comte de Maistre

Dedicated to His Majesty Charles X

The greatest of the revelations of the great philosopher, the Comte de Maistre, was surely the complete and convincing refutation of the English idea of the social contract, so brutally hijacked by that dastardly Citizen of Geneva. One of the great works of the Comte de Maistre, “On the Sovereignty of the People”, teaches us of the key nature of prejudice in man’s political organization. The great mistake of Hobbes is that he sees the legitimacy of the King, the Leviathan, being the social contract that binds the rule of the king to maintaining the peace of a nation in the interests of the people. This claim lays ultimate sovereignty not in the hands of the King or God who through the Divine Will and the mysteries of the Holy Ghost appoints his chosen King, but in the collection of men who come together out of the fully false notion of the state of nature into the state of nationhood. The perversion of this false belief has come to its most destructive forms in the writings of the most dangerous infantile thinker perhaps in the history of the world, the creature known as Jean-Jacques Rousseau. In the beliefs of Rousseau that found bloody expression of the Reign of Terror we find the logical conclusion of the claim that the bonds of our society are arbitrary and created by men. If man came together to place authority in the hand of a king then it must follow that men may come together at a later date to replace kingship with whatever utopian political order they feel will lead to a better world. By overthrowing true authority they sow the seeds of their downfall, yielding evermore to those who push the boundaries further. Nothing written in the horrid days of the Revolution is more true than the words of Jacques Mallet du Pan, “Like Saturn, the Revolution devours its own children.”

Civilization is brought about organically because it is the will of God that civilization exist. The claim of Rousseau that there exists or existed at some point the ideal savage who has the capabilities to civilized life but does not carry that capacity through to it. We should examine first the lands known to us by the Bible, the political life of ancient Israel. If it were God’s will for man to exist outside of civilization it should be supposed then that he would not choose a people so that they may form a nation dedicated to his glory. We look further to the land of Israel to see that the authority of Moses and the coming Kings of Israel derived directly from God, but did not supersede the authority of God. Truly, the Old Testament is filled with the constant failings of the Kings of Israel as they sin and abandon the charge that God has laid out for them. God then punishes the Kings who in their wickedness and greed had sinned against the commandments of the Lord. It is key to understanding the political paradigm we find ourselves in that the Lord God has set forth the lifeblood of nations and forged their proper destinies. The rebellion of 1789 was a rebellion against not just the King but the authority of God himself, who has ordained the King as temporal master of the affairs of the body and the Pope as temporal master of the affairs of the spirit. The great break of the national spirit that took hold over France from 1789 to 1815 must be torn out root by root. To do this we must look not only to the past but building a new tradition, a new fire that binds the subjects of the King into the state religion.

The national spirit is the central dogma of the political collection, in other words it is the collection of beliefs of a society that are basic and fully beyond questioning. We find in the tradition of the Enlightenment, which we in wild flights of fancy and rational foolishness so embraced, the seeds of our own destruction and misery. The constant rational examination of all things, the radical doubt, consequently brought about the questioning of religion and state. All states must have a state religion, in the absence of an official one that bears explicitly religious claims we find a pseudo-religious fanaticism. The clearest example of this is the Cult of the Supreme Being and the Cult of Reason that were founded in the dark days of the Reign of Terror. If we look at the debates over education policy in France under the Sully ministry we find that those whose ideals are derived from the so-called moderate heirs of the Revolutions raged against the clergy’s control of education. These men branded the education policy of our government as being the brainwashing of French children. To place the beliefs of the Church beyond questioning is their greatest fear. Let me answer that they are right to declare this our intention. The belief of Christian faith in the expression of the Roman rite of the Universal Mother Church must be the essential foundation of our state. From God alone His Most Christian Majesty derives his rights and he answers to God alone. Truly the Charter of 1814 remains only a gift of His Majesty to his subjects in his prerogative as the temporal ruler and messenger of God.

I am happy to say that the foundation for our new state, modelled on the ancien regime, shall be known forever as our War in Spain. The fires of war provides for men the greatest imposition of the unquestionable precepts of the national spirit. The collective effort of war is the baptism by which the individual moralities and characters are annihilated and subsumed into the higher form of consciousness that is the national character, grounded in the metaphysical reality of the Kingdom of God. When men serve together in the army they are part of an organic hierarchy that no man can deny, on the peril of total defeat. It builds into man the obedient soul, the greatest virtue of the subject who places his faith in God and the King. It is not for the peasant to form policy but to serve his Master. In doing so he finds the ultimate expression of his inner truth, the inequality by which we experience distinction, distinction being the primary importer of meaning into the empty lives of those “equal men”. We must reject fully the precepts of the false gods of liberty, equality, and fraternity and restore to the people of France the fullness of Christ’s authority and mercy in the form of His Mother Church and His Divinely ordained King. Let all of France be united into the cohesive whole of an army whereby the Grace and Beauty of God will shine forth in the distinctions between us. The aristocrat and the peasant are completely different, not equal in the eyes of God, but worthy of ultimate Love and honor in the service of their faith and anointed role. May God bless the reign of His Most Christian Majesty. Vive le Roi!

Le Vicomte de Saint Fulgent, le Ministre de la guerre

To Philippe Henri de Bourbon, M. de Bourbon ((PRIVATE - @Sneakyflaps))

Dear Philippe,

I am so glad that your mother is back with you. I know how much you missed her while she was away. I didn't know about the Murat bull but I'm glad that it's as fierce as my favorite little brother. How does your riding progress? Do you have a favorite horse?

Father and I are just in the middle of a disagreement. I'm sure that it'll pass. We exchanged letters the other day and we didn't yell at each other at all.

Dancing is a very appropriate activity for a prince like yourself, particularly if you're going to court. Give my best to Cousin Henri if you see him and remember to be kind to him.

Thank you so much for the painting. I've had my servant send it out to be framed so that it can occupy its proper place on my desk.

I hope your hunting trip went well. I wasn't very good at hunting at first. Just take your time and do your best, all right?

I hope to visit very soon. Give my love to your mother and your sisters.

Sincerely,
Henri
To M. Roger Disney ((PRIVATE - @Noco19))

Dear M. Disney,

I have in my possession a copy of your work, "Les Aventures Filanchi," and it is most remarkable. I am particularly taken with your description of this American dragon, which sounds most ferocious. I am greatly impressed that 'your protagonist' had the skill and courage necessary to slay it.

I would be most grateful if you were to attend my Tuesday supper and relate to my various guests your tales of adventure in the New World. My own circle contains within it many avid readers, and I am certain that you will find attentive ears if you were to read passages from your most captivating novel following the conclusion of the meal.

Please send word of your intentions as soon as is convenient.

Your servant,
Henri Jules de Bourbon

Last edited:
Place Louis XVI, Paris
Promenade

((Joint IC with @Eid3r))

Henri de Bourbon was, it could be fairly said, somewhat perceptive. However, even a blind man would have been able to take the broad hint dropped by his correspondent. Flowers blooming in the Place Louis XVI? Why, then naturally we should take them in. Courtship was much easier when both parties had the same end goal in mind, or so it seemed.

And so he made the proper obeisances to the dragon guarding his intended, complete with metaphorical blood sacrifice. Thus he achieved, through dint of superior persuasion -- mostly on Amelie’s part -- permission to take in the flowers as part of a formal promenade. It was a lovely spring day, too.

Henri wore his walking-out dress uniform, eschewing the full decorations for their ribbons, and carried with him his second-best formal cane. Frankly, despite inheriting the full wealth of his mentor’s estate, he still lived as frugally as a royal byblow could, and the uniforms were convenient formalwear that he could justify purchasing with his military allowances.

M. de Bourbon glanced to the right at his rather lovely companion, smiling faintly.

“... I doubt that the proposal will be met with the acclaim expected from its proponent. The Ultra supermajority conceals within it some deep fissures indeed, and some of those men are at least vaguely conscious that we are presently in the nineteenth century and not the fifteenth.”

The proposal, of course, referred to Charles X’s infamous anti-sacrilege law, which had served a useful purpose in uniting sane individuals from all political perspectives.

The young marquesse repressed some laughter at the spirited comment of Monsieur de Bourbon. She was quite enjoying the discussion, and being asked her opinion, was a powerful feeling in itself for a women in an age where she was expected to look pretty, cook, entertain a household and produce heirs. She answered diplomatically, well aware that the Old Guard - being her mother and her evil aunt Wilhelmina Lidewij - were following less than 5 seconds behind, greedily refusing to stay outside of earshot.

“ … while it is true that the defiling of the consecrated host is a most despicable and heinous crime, I must say that a difficult task awaits the good Duke of Sully into finding the necessary balance between punishment and moderation, for I feel that the shortest route to chaos is certainly the full application of every laws, without judgement or moderation.”

Henri inclined his head in appreciation of the thoughtful reply. He was of course entirely conscious of the lurking presences behind them, forestalling anything but the most modest of behavior. Not just one dragon, no, but a pair of them, conspiring.

“Well said indeed. Many believe that each offense should be met with the maximum penalty, that each crime should be met with the most stringent response. They are well-intentioned, I am sure, but as you say, such intentions lead only to the result least desired. While in the Ministry, I had many occasions to mete out leniency on His Majesty’s behalf and found that clemency created tranquility far more often than did rigidity.”

Ah, excellent, a rough patch in the promenade. What a convenient break in the pavement indeed. With utmost formality, M. de Bourbon offered the Marquesse his right arm, taking care not to nudge or otherwise touch her.

Such pageantry, such a gallant man. The young lady eagerly grabbed the hand to navigate this unforeseen difficulty in the pavement. She then turned, and by an amused look, intimated that he should certainly offer the same politeness to her mother, whose ankles were so delicate, and her aunt, who was basically crumbling from everywhere, like an old decrepit castle.

Henri enjoyed the brief contact, which could hardly be considered indecorous in light of the difficult terrain, and shared a brief smile with his companion. At her silent direction, to which he acquiesced with a little bow of his head, he leaned his cane against a nearby fence-post and offered both hands to the elderly ladies. He could, at least, remain steady and upright without external aid for a short period.

“Highness, Madame, if I may be permitted to assist?”

The attention was not lost on the Princess and the Harpy, to the satisfaction of the young Marquess, who over the years, being an only child, had learned to play them like a fiddle when she cared about it.

“I must admit, my dear friend, that this is a most beautiful day for such a promenade, a day brightened by the discussions we share. I would look forward to renewing this experience again, but be warned that sooner rather than later, I believe your intentions will be pried away from you in the unforgiving manner of old.”

Henri’s reply came with a smile that lingered a bit longer this time.

“I naturally anticipate such a recurrence and share your enjoyment of this lovely day. Should we continue to enjoy our outings, I may even permit you to avoid resorting to such traditional methods of extracting information...”

She smiled softly as they continued their walk, talking about everything. Her heart was certainly aflutter, a good prospect for the future.

Last edited:
TO CHARLES X, the KING OF FRANCE AND NAVARRE ((@99KingHigh - Private))​

Your Most Christian Majesty,

In my role as the Minister of Justice, it is my duty to solemnly serve my Sovereign, keeping only his good interest at heart. No personal reason, should it be even fear of displeasure of my master, should stop me in this endeavor – for in other case I would be in fact serving myself.

For this reason, while already knowing of the doubts brought before Your Majesty by the President of the Council of State, I must, in my capacity as the Minister of Justice, admit that I myself have the strongest doubts regarding the measures entailed in the current Anti-Sacrilege Law.

While I most certainly agree that such acts – horrendous before God and horrendous before people – should be punished, and we are probably in need of specific legislation in this regard, I must say the measures as envisioned by Vicomte de Bonald and Comte de Breteile, even in the current version, could become counterproductive to the cause of the Altar and Throne

Your Majesty knows that my hand was always steady when I was dealing with the enemies of the Realm. During the rule of your August brother, I never shirked to take decisive measures to protect the tranquility of the Throne against the radicals of all kinds. And would this law relate only to ideological Jacobins who deliberately desecrate the holy vessels, it would have been understandable to me.

However, as far as I know, it is often not so.

In most cases these who commit such crimes now are mostly mindless barbarians, lacking the understanding of God and religious morals, people so primitive that only basic calls of nature and desire for money are moving them. While we are to blame them fully ((for every person is responsible for his action), we must understand that many of these are simply idiotic ruffians, raised on the streets, often parentless. Born in the godless years of the revolution, when the word «Christ» was being erased from the mind of the children, during the years of Bonaparte, when many have lost their fathers in his wars – was it not easy for such a child to grow as a thief even lacking an understanding of what is the importance of what is «a consecrated host». And many of these thieves are still children. Such are wounds that the dark age of Bonapartism has left on the body of the Kingdom of France – but these wounds would surely be, Sire, healed by the proper enlightenment and education as envisioned by the good Archbishop of Reims.

In my opinion, oftenly using the death sentence against these ignorant peasants is like firing a cannot against sparrow – it should be reserved for ideological enemies of the Crown and Faith, as well as most brutal murderers et cetera. It is also imprudent to allow children between the age of thirteen and sixteen to be judged for such crimes – for a sight of a youth of thirteen years being shipped away for fifteen years of labor could indeed cause a bad influence upon the public morals and lead to the liberal speculations that would simply tarnish the image of the Holy Church.

However, it is not all. By applying death sentences lavishly in these cases, we would not allow these blasphemers the chance to repent, condemning their souls to hell. But do we not know that in this world even the worst of sinners can clear his soul? For did not Saul, the persecutor of Christians, become Paul, and did not Cyprian, a pagan magician, become Saint Cyprian the Martyr? This is why I believe that a prolonged imprisonment, accompanied by penance, would suit such cases better than death.

For these reasons, while I am ever obedient to your will, as the keeper of the seals and the Minister of Justice, I advise to amend the Anti-Sacrilege law in this regard before its proposition to the two Chambers in the following regard:

Limit the sentences for such crimes to the maximums of twelve to fifteen years of labor regarding crimes states in Article I, of fifteen to twenty-five years of labor regarding the crimes stated in the Article II, of twenty-five years to death regarding the crimes stated in the Article III:

In regards of the delinquents younger than sixteen, I believe that the approach as stated in the Art. 66 of the Chapter II of the Penal Code should be applied, which reads as follows "When the accused is less than sixteen years old, if it be decided that he has acted without a competent knowledge of right and wrong, in the commission of the action (sans discernement), he shall be acquitted; but he shall, according to the circumstances, be either sent back to his relations, or placed in a House of Correction, to be there brought up and detained during such a number of years as the sentence shall determine; but which shall not extend beyond his attainment to the age of twenty years.":

Make an addendum of such content : "The presence or lack of intent of the person who have committed acts stated in the Articles I-III to commit an insult to the religious feeling are to be considered aggravating/attenuating circumstance by the courts".

I remain your most humble servant,
SAINT-AIGNAN​

To Nathanaël Barrande, Comte de L'Isle Jourdain (@naxhi24 – Private))
Monsieur le Comte,Before addressing the matter that may be painful for your esteemed self, I must make the necessary preface. I have been a witness to the successful way you started your public career. The integrity of principles you have demonstrated during the debate on the Spanish expedition, your selfless championship of the cause of legitimism, have won you the acclaim of many royalists. The way you have then demonstrated your ability to defend your principles by deeds and personally have raised sword against the Spanish revolutionaries during the expedition have gave you even more respect. I believe that all this has laid a foundation for a future public or military career.
This is why it is especially painful for me to see a young man having all these perspectives ruined due to a vicious rumor. However, it is not the only reason why I am today writing to you. As you know, as the Keeper of the Seals to His Most Catholic Majesty, I have the honor to preside in the Chamber of Peers - the institution of which you are a member. Therefore it is my duty to defend the honor of this noble body, which should uphold the highest standards of conduct and good morals. And yet the affair of which I am going to write casts a shadow upon its reputation. As you know, a certain man of ill reputation, the Count of Saint-Germaine, has been claimed to be in indecent associations with your spouse. He himself, it seems, has not done anything to hide the pretensions of that sort. As the time passes and the people do not see the situation resolved, the rumors are becoming more wild, and the fact that you do not take any decisive action in order to protect your honor and the honor of your family, lead of even more wild accusations – these of accomplice, of timidity or indifferent.As a fellow royalist, as a fellow Peer, a fellow nobleman and as a person twenty-five years your senior, fit to be your father, I urge you, good Count, to deal with the situation as it is worthy of a man of your station. Regarding your private life and relationships with your wife, I would stay silent, however noting, that one must uphold discipline within his family. As for the Count of Saint-Germaine, it is my strong opinion that you should immediately seek him out and demand satisfaction. Should you fail to do that, the society would doubt, if you honor your title and name high enough.

I most faithfully remain,

SAINT-AIGNAN

Last edited:
(Joint IC with @Sneakyflaps)
Estate of the Duc of Havré, Paris, 1825

The Duke of Havré and Croÿ, upon learning from his daughter that a serious courtship emerged between the bastard son of the Prince of Condé and one of his granddaughter, had convened the prospective groom’s father to a dinner to hammer out the details of the possible match. At first, the old aristocrat, who was coasting well into his eighth decade, had to be reminded of which granddaughter it was. Obviously, the young Conflans d’Armentières with the title. A most useful commodity. Once the Prince of Condé arrived, the old man greeted him by walking laboriously toward him and feigning a bow, which given his advanced age, was naturally excused. He thus welcomed his guest:

“Your Royal Highness, it is quite an honor to welcome you in my humble home. By all means, I must say that you are the spitting image of your august father, blessed be his memory, whom I had the pleasure of sharing many adventures in the army in times past.”

Condé had been amused by the invitation, that Henri had not managed to screw this up once more was a welcome surprised. Condé was well aware of his sons lack of, for the lack of better words, social skills.

“I thank you, Your Grace, I am most gladdened to be here as your guest on this fine evening. I am always happy to be in the company of the old aristocracy, nowhere else in the world does one fine as good manners as when proper class interact.”

The old Duke waved to his domestiques, who brought forward some appetizers and refreshments. Always a man to conduct business first, he suggested that they proceed with all haste, before enjoying a fine dinner.

“Your highness, it appears that love, or rather a convergence of interest, has blossomed between my beloved granddaughter and your son, Henri Jules de Bourbon. As I am quite sure you have experimented before, it befalls on us two, head of our respective families, to draw the necessary arrangement for a match, should it prove possible. The union of our respective lines would bring much joy to my old heart.”

Condé took one of the appetizers, savoring the good taste as he smiled contentedly. “I envy you this cook.” The Prince said with a small laughter in his voice. “I admit I was surprised when I received your letter, I was so relieved when I found that the context of the letter was about love and not lust, as I had so feared.” Condé finished for a moment as he stood thinking, “It would indeed bring me much joy to finally see my son married, and to become an honest man at last.”

The eyes of the old duke glimmered with a flash of malice. “Well, let us delve directly into the first issue. Unless I am mistaken, your son is approaching 40 years old. At that age, I had already sired some children. What is the problem? How can such an eligible bachelor be still, pardon me the words, on the market at this age? Is it impotence? Is it sickness?”

Condé looked towards a table “Perhaps we should sit down for this.” He spoke as he began walking over there, “Forgive me, but my knees.” The old Prince said before continuing as he made his way towards the chair. “In truth my son was to be married a few years ago to Elise Oudinot, the daughter of Marshal Oudinot, the Duke of Reggio. Sadly for both my son and his Grace the Duke, they were attacked by highwaymen on the road to Paris, she did not survive, and my son was almost also lost.”

The old Duke appeared flustered at his own lack of memory and thus, delicatesse. “Ah, yes, I am terribly sorry to bring your mind to those unfortunate events. Was the match his doing, or was it orchestrated by you?” As he spoke, he considered the fact that it must have been difficult for Condé de promise his son to the daughter of a Duke created by the Usurper.

The Prince shrugged, “My son seems to have a tendency to seek out his wives on his own. I would have prefered a more traditional match, but my son was insistent, and I met the girl afterwards. She was, despite the fault of her father, of more right leaning in terms of her opinions. I gave my approval, for he needed to be married.”

“Indeed, you can’t certainly fault the child for the sins of her father. I am quite pleased of your assurances that his judgement is not at fault in this. Another matter of consideration is of course the spiritual constitution of your son. For I have no window into any other man’s heart, I must admit that my beloved Amélie is herself fondly attached to the rites of the Catholic Faith, and I shall insist that her belief and religiosity be scrupulously respected.”

“He is a Catholic, as I trust your granddaughter is. I grant you, he is no Louis IX, but he pays his respects to God, and does what is expected. If it is your daughter’s desire to invite nuns into her house to pray, like my late wife, then we shall have no objection as long as she does not demand they sleep in the same room for the sake of purity.” Condé responded back.

“A most satisfactory answer. Let us broach the financial aspects of this … transaction. My dear Amélie comes with the titular ownership of the Marquisat of Armentières in the Nord and the Seigneurie of Pisany, in the Charente. Both titles have been in our family for generations. I shall pass over the inability of her father to pursue the lineage further, sadly, the siege of San Sebastian having robbed our family of this possibility. The match would entail the management of important estates, and unless I am mistaken, your son has never administered any. Am I right? How can we assume that he shall not dilapidate the patrimony over his inexperience?”

Condé chuckled, “My son grew up on farms, he has furthermore been a minister. Even if he is lacking, I promise that I shall have my own estate manager be at his disposal for the first year to ensure that it does not falter into decay. Now as for your granddaughter, has she even run a household? Has she ever been a hostess. Just as with the estates, I would hate for my son’s social standing to be subpar in Parisian circles due to poor hostings. Would your granddaughter be able to entertain parties as expected?”

The crusty old duke smiled as the Prince of Condé turned the tables on him. It was pure Condé indeed, and it reminded him immediately of a long forgotten battle in which, in their youth, both Croy and the late Condé had turned their horses around unexpectedly to charge a some brigands preying on the fair folk. “Oh, I am quite certain you shall not find our little Amélie wanting in these aspects. We have supervised a very strict regimen of education for her, far above the normalcy given her status as heir of her father. She is fluent in French, English, German and Latin, as well as educated in the necessary culinary arts, dance, violin and piano. She has basically run her household, under the tutelage of my daughter, for the past two years since the death of her Father.”

“About the estates, I assume that you shall not object that they be made contingent on the title, inalienable and automatically bequeathed only to the lawful heir produced by the union?”

Condé sat thinking for a moment on the issue. “It seems a fair proposal, I do however have one injection. I fret to think of it, yet I must. There is the possibility that your granddaughter predeceases my son. The risk of childbirth is only too well known to us. As such I would like a stipend that should said tragic event occur, and they have produced previous issue. That my son be given a fair percentage of the year income from your granddaughter’s estates until my son’s own death.”

The old Duke was a prosperous man of finances, and was quickly calculating if he was better to counter with a lump sum added to the dowry rather than a yearly stipend, which could prove rather cheap or costly, depending on the will to live of a man who already survived an assassination attempts. “I do not see this being a terrible impediment, but to one caveat. The stipend should end shall your son remarry or is bequeathed lands. Speaking of lands, I assume, if my legal knowledge is still up to date, that your son might inherit some of your properties and riches?”

Condé nodded. “Agreed and have no fear, my son shall be able taken care of in my will, I will ensure that both my son and your granddaughter shall want for nothing.”

“Well, it is progressing quite swimmingly. I believe it leaves the question of the dowry to be settled. While I certainly wishes not to slight your family by implying the need of such financial incentive to assure the good care of my beloved daughter, it is a point of importance for les apparences, as I would not dare to seek our good name be sullied by slander about it. I assume that 800,000 francs would be a sufficient figure?”

Condé smiled genuinely, perhaps for the first time the evening. “That would be an acceptable amount.”

The old Duke then proceeded to shake the Prince’s hand. “My good friend, it appears that we have a wedding to celebrate. I shall have my notaries draft the necessary papers in the morning and pending financial review, our business is concluded.”

Both men then enjoyed an elaborate dinner, reminiscing about the good old days.

Salon de la Marquise, Hôtel de Croÿ, Paris
Summer 1825

Yet another Parisian afternoon with a dreadful heat, as the Capital was passing through a prolonged episode of warm weather, which had quickly sent the ladies away from their usual time spent strolling in the various parks and places, back to the cozy interior of their salons. On that day, the Marquise d’Armentières was with several of her friends, engaged in the most sinful gossiping, an activity in which she had but few to contribute, but much to learn about. The discussion was about Sophia Dawes, who in that summer was the talk of the town.

Countess of Ligny: “And mind you, I have heard that the King himself disparaged her in public in front of the court. He called her an under talented prostitute.”

The ladies giggled at the remark, while objections were raised by the Baronness of Saintes, who was always the most prude about such talks.

Saintes: It is naught but hearsay, I am quite sure. The King would certainly not debase himself with such disparaging comments.

Duchess of Auch: It is true, word for word, my dear. My husband was present and he heard it all. What a shameful situation it is, indeed.

Armentières: I can’t help but to think of her poor unfortunate husband.

Ligny: He’s fortunate enough; his marriage seemed to have paid off, for he suddenly became quite wealthy after accepting her in his midst. The Barrande are certainly an old family, but not renowned for their wealth.

Auch: Are you implying what I believe you are?

Ligny: Well, some people are saying that a certain party was quite interested in seeing her off and paid for it.

Saintes: Baseless rumours. But the fact remain that this poor child is most likely a proven cuckhold. His reputation shall suffer.

Ligny: I don’t know what I would do if my amant went public in such a dispirited fashion. My poor husband would duel him within the hour, I am quite certain.

They laughed, just as the Marquise appeared offended about the decomplexed way in which her good friend was flaunting her adulterous relation.

Ligny: Oh, don’t play the offended little girl Amélie! In due time, you too will find solace in the arms of another, and enjoy the natural discretion of any decent man.

More laughter, as the Marquise was forced to concede the point, for good apparences.

Auch: Poor Barrande. You do realize that every time he will rise in the Chamber of Peers, he will be regarder as a man whose honour has been slightest in the most shameful way. I wonder how does one recovers from that? And the King called his wife a catin in public.

Armentières: It is quite sad indeed. Poor Count, he must be a much bruised man.

Ligny: Amélie! He is not a little kitten who needs comforting. And by all means, do not get inclined toward such a party. If he cannot keep his wife in his bed, it is his own fault. Maybe he lacks confidence... you know, down there.

Armentières: My dear Countess, I believe that it is a proven fact that not all men can be as ... astute as your beloved Maurice.

Ligny: Practice makes perfect, my dearest Amélie. Do remember that.

And the women just laughed wholeheartedly as they kept babbling about the misfortunes of the Count of l’Isle-Jourdain.

With the loosened censorship, the Worm had no problem finding a printer to circulate his horrified response to the foulness that had bubbled up from the Minister of War within the Journal des Debats. It was not often that he felt moral outrage, but the proposed laws struck what little essential goodness and decency he had within him, a kernel that had perhaps grown slightly larger of late due to the benign influence of the fraternal order and the spirit of universal brotherhood it embodied.

The Spirit of a Nation

Why should the commercial class, who represent the future of the French nation, bear the weight of revolutionary crimes?

It was not only emigres and the aristocracy who were robbed and slaughtered by the Jacobins, many a bourgeoisie who sold goods to the aristocracy likewise found themselves watering the fields of France with their blood; my own father and father-in-law among them for the crime of selling silk to the nobility.

It is not as if the Revolution was a bourgeoisie affair alone, we can all remember the role that the late Duc d'Orleans took as a regicide, or that of the Bishop Gregoire. Why are we not compelling the Church and Peers to compensate merchants who lost their fortunes from the British embargo? Why should it be that the merchants of Paris should have their property devalued, which is nothing more than the theft of wealth, as if that could repair the theft that nationalization took from the landed class? Does this Ministry not understand that two wrongs do not make a right?

There is nothing correct or virtuous about showing the Kingdom of France to go back on its word, to betray the sacred trust that these bonds represent. This devaluation will not be the end of it, should the Ministry insist on this course it will undermine the faith of lenders in the solvency of the Kingdom and its willingness to repay its debts. All of the good work that has been done to repair the damages brought by the wars and occupation will be undone if we cannot even be trusted to pay out on our own bonds.

The only reasonable course of action is to not dive so unnecessarily down this ruinous path. We must abolish the indemnity. All classes of the Kingdom suffered during the Revolution, and to punish one and reward another, as if the bourgeoisie were less loyal and the aristocracy more loyal, is an unacceptable affront to the social harmony of the Kingdom. The only one who deserves compensation for that period is the nation as a whole, and the only ones that can be punished rightfully is the nation as a whole, so the only Christian thing to do is to forgive ourselves of the crimes we have committed against ourselves.

In these times of renewed prosperity we cannot afford to lose the solidarity and national unity that currently exists. To divide parts of the nation, to turn brother against brother, would be a betrayal of the legacy of Louis XVIII.

This same argument can be said to extend to the proposed holiday and the law that so falsely claims to be for the sake of protecting the Church.

Seeing as we suffered and survived the Revolutionary period together, as one nation, a patriotic holiday commemorating all the victims would be more appropriate and more gracious, more in line with the noblesse oblige demonstrated by our sovereigns throughout history.

And why is the Kingdom that pays for, defends, and maintains the Churches and clergy of France afforded any consideration when it comes to the defense of holy objects? Cant it be denied that the Holy Roman Catholic Church is, inextricably linked with the monarchy as it is, part of the French nation? As such, church property is best considered national property, and the insult to it should be treated as such. We do our nation a disservice if we should punish starving vandals or other undesirables more than we do those who would spit on the flag or otherwise attack state property and national symbols.

The question this latest slate of proposals in the Chamber forces us to ask, a question that we should never have to ask but are being forced to by the current Ministry, are we one Kingdom or many? Are we united or are we divided? These laws stand for the forces of division and disunity that would make petty advances of narrow interests at a spiritual cost to the soul of the nation. They must be opposed by every good Frenchman for they are an insult to the national spirit that motivates the citizens of this great Kingdom. For all Frenchmen are brothers and we are all equal in the eyes of God.

Example ballot.

Indemnification Law: Oui/No/Abstention.
Law of the Holiday of the Martyrdom: Oui/No/Abstention.
Law of the Standardization of Succession: Oui/No/Abstention.
Law on the Protection of the Church: Oui/No/Abstention.

[Party]
[Bonus]

- Name

----
Bold your votes. 36 hours.