• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Trytols

Captain
30 Badges
Mar 4, 2012
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
On June 2017 I asked in quick question thread:

I would like to know why paradox didnt care about dynamic province names.
(They are in the common folder, so they de-ironman saves if you dare the edit that localisation file)

For example the latin entry have just 6 names. The funny fact is that even the home land provinces owned by Savoy, Milan and Venice at game start have english names.

I guess they are busy with coding serious stuff, but on workshop and even here on the forum there are MANY files of MANY dynamic province names made by modders and by people who have that mothertongue, so they are quite accurate.

The funny thing is that paradox staff should only COPY and PASTE those files in the vanilla folder, and the "problem" is gone. It would take less than 1 minute.

I always thought that we southern europeans were the lazy part of Europe: we prefer to eat, drink, party and monkey around probably because the hot climate, the landscapes and our traditions which bring us to spend time with people. (we have +1 diplomatic slot :) )

@Trin Tragula unless you are south european (in this case you can delay this request as long as you prefer :) ) what about copy and paste those already done dynamic names mods in the vanilla game? Thanks.

@Trin Tragula suggested me to create my suggestion thread about this.

We have added new dynamic province names with basically every patch actually, many of them from the suggestions forum :)
There's only so much time though and they all need to be checked by the person adding them (not to mention adapted to any internal map changes we have going on).

If you have suggestions for more to add you can create a thread in the suggestions forum and we'll consider it.

I did an INCOMPLETE list of dynamic latin province names.

I'm mothertongue italian, and I just translated the italian equivalent of the english province names without adding any "personal taste" name or changing the name\capital of the province.

I created the list with format for an easy copy\paste for whoever need to use.

Please note that the following suggestions are purely cosmetic, so there are no request of new country\provinces\development.
They basically are only a request about correction of typos and localisation issues and whatever Paradox can get from this thread will have NO CHANGES IN GAMEPLAY.

1 - DYNAMIC LATIN PROVINCE NAMES:

Code:
#These six names are the base 1.23.1 entries in latin.txt file.

143 = "Valona"
285 = "Cafa"
2348 = "Scio"
3003 = "Negroponte"
4174 = "Durazzo"
4175 = "Scutari"

# These are a small part of the dynamic "latin" names.
Paradox can copy\paste them in "common\province_names\latin.txt"

If you dont like some entries, or you think are not necessary, you can just skip them.
Some capital names should be changed too for fit the "latin" translation, but not a big deal.

43 = "Danzica"
44 = "Amburgo"
45 = "Lubecca"
50 = "Berlino"
52 = "Magdeburgo"
53 = "Luneburgo"
59 = "Vittimberga"
61 = "Sassonia"
62 = "Lipsia"
63 = "Turingia"
65 = "Monaco"
66 = "Bamberga"
67 = "Norimberga"
70 = "Vurtemberga"
72 = "Brisgovia"
73 = "Tirolo"
75 = "Alsazia"
78 = "Magonza"
80 = "Treviri"
85 = "Colonia"
101 = "Genova"
102 = "Nizza"
103 = "Piemonte"
104 = "Milano"
105 = "Parma"
106 = "Modena"
107 = "Brescia"
108 = "Verona"
109 = "Mantova"
110 = "Trento"
111 = "Friuli"
112 = "Venezia"
113 = "Ferrara"
114 = "Romagna"
115 = "Pisa"
116 = "Firenze"
117 = "Siena"
118 = "Roma"
119 = "Ancona"
124 = "Messina"
125 = "Palermo"
126 = "Malta"
127 = "Sassari"
128 = "Carinzia"
129 = "Carniola"    # "Cragno" would fit too according to the timeline of EUIV.
130 = "Istria"
131 = "Zagabria"
132 = "Stiria"
134 = "Vienna"
136 = "Dalmazia"
137 = "Ragusa"
144 = "Epiro"
145 = "Morea"
146 = "Atene"
147 = "Tessaglia"
151 = "Costantinopoli"
163 = "Creta"         # probably "Candia" would fit better since is the venetian name of the island but Creta is the italian name.
165 = "Berna"
166 = "Svitto"
189 = "Lorena"
192 = "Borgogna"
193 = "Franca Contea"
196 = "Tolosa"
197 = "Rossiglione"
199 = "Alvernia"
200 = "Linguadoca"
201 = "Provenza"
202 = "Avignone"
203 = "Lione"        # If you prefer it can be "Lionese" too which is the name of the region
204 = "Delfinato"
205 = "Savoia"
206 = "Galizia"
207 = "Asturie"
209 = "Biscaglia"
213 = "Barcellona"
220 = "Valenza"        # This fit better in italian for the timeline of EUIV.
224 = "Siviglia"
226 = "Gibilterra"
227 = "Lisbona"
266 = "Praga"
320 = "Rodi"
321 = "Cipro"
333 = "Maiorca"
337 = "Orano"
339 = "Cabilia"
341 = "Tunisi"
354 = "Tripoli"
355 = "Sirte"
356 = "Bengasi"
358 = "Alessandria"
362 = "Rosetta"
363 = "Damietta"
366 = "Gran Canaria"
367 = "Isole Azzorre"   #Can be "Azzorre" too.
1247 = "Corsica"
1757 = "Alto Palatinato"
1774 = "Treviso"
1760 = "Coblenza"
1761 = "Palatinato"
1768 = "Lienza"
1769 = "Gorizia"
1773 = "Acaia"
1826 = "Liburnia"
1858 = "Stettino"
1869 = "Zurigo"
1870 = "San Gallo"
1871 = "Vallese"
1872 = "Ulma"
1862 = "Cremona"
1867 = "Vado"        # It can be "Losanna" too for the city, but Vado is the italian name of the canton.
1868 = "Augusta"
1873 = "Grigioni"
1874 = "Brema"
1876 = "Francoforte"
1875 = "Cuneo"
1878 = "Aquisgrana"
2313 = "Antiochia"
2455 = "Biserta"
2753 = "Narbona"
2954 = "Gerba"
2957 = "Ratisbona"
2976 = "Umbria"
2977 = "Urbino"
2978 = "Arezzo"
2980 = "Lucca"
2981 = "Monferrato"
2986 = "Cagliari"
2991 = "Draguignano"
2997 = "Novara"
2982 = "Siracusa"

4154 = "Pirenei"

4157 = "Alpi Cozie"
4159 = "Alpi Noriche"
4160 = "Alpi Retiche"
4161 = "Alpi Pennine"
4162 = "Alpi Bernesi"

1889 = "Lago Lemano"
1890 = "Lago Bodanico"

2 - ARMY AND FLEET NAMES:

ARMY NAMES:
ALL latin countries should have "ARMATA DI" as default army name

army_names = { "Armata di $PROVINCE$" }

And NOT "de"
army_names = { "Armata de $PROVINCE$" }

In previous patches Paradox corrected many countries that had this mistake but the following countries STILL have that "Armata de $PROVINCE$" } bug in names.

Montferrat
Mantua
Etruria
Aquileia
Sardinia

The following countries instead HAVE NO ARMY and SHIP NAMES AT ALL which should be
- army_names = { "Armata di $PROVINCE$" }
- fleet_names = { "Flotta di $PROVINCE$"}

Athens
Naxos
Corfu
Malta
Corsica
Sardinia-Piedmont

FLEET NAMES:
ALL latin countries should have "FLOTTA DI" as default navy name, unless you want more specific\historical fleet names.

NONE (not even Venice or Genoa) of the actual countries in game have fleet names. Just add this in their files:

fleet_names = { "Flotta di $PROVINCE$"}

For example the venetian fleet was called "Armada" so their first fleet name can be "Armada Veneziana" and then go on with the default list.

3 - WRONG RULERS NAMES: (Finally corrected in patch 1.28.3)

REGARDING VENETIAN RULERS:
Venice in 1444 starts with "Francesco Foscarini" but he should be named "Francesco Foscari".
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesco_Foscari

REGARDING SIENESE RULERS:
In Country\History files they have "John Galeazzo" and "John Maria".
Those rulers are THE SAME in Milan history file. Stats and names are different. The Milanese Names are good. The Sienese are not. Good names should be copy\paste from Milan history files: "Gian Galeazzo I" and "Giovanni Maria I".

REGARDING FLORENTINE RULERS:
In history files there is "Giovanni I"
The Name "Giovanni I" is wrong. He was no king. So he should be only named "Giovanni".
The most accurate title of the ruler of Florence should be "SIGNORE" that mean "LORD" (gender female is "signora"). This can be the case for Florence with "oligarchic republic" government form.
The actual title of Cosimo "Gonfaloniere Cosimo de'Medici" should be "Signore Cosimo de'Medici".

REGARDING URBINESE RULERS:
In History file there is "Gidantonio I".
"Gidantonio" is wrong. It is "Guidantonio"
The Current Ruler Name IS WRONG TOO. It should be "Federico" and not "Federigo".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OTHERS SUGGESTIONS:

REGARDING LUCCA:
The ruler title should be "Gonfaloniere" and not "Doge".
Doge is the ruler title for "merchant republics" like Venice and Genoa. Lucca never had a doge.

REGARDING SIENA:
Government is something like the swiss syndic, but "Gonfaloniere" should be the ruler name and not "Doge". Siena never had a doge.

REGARDING VENICE, GENOA and FLORENCE "ELECTIONS":
I can only suggest a total overhaul of the system.
Venetian and Genoese doge ruled until death. You can simulate the elections for the "factions" but the leader should not change. They require they own government form.
The same is for FLORENCE. Cosimo ruled until he died (like a dictatorship tbh). There were no "elections" during his reign. Florence require his own government form probably.

REGARDING FERRARA:
There was no "duchy of Ferrara" since it was a "marquisate"... Speaking in game terms "a government rank even lower than duchy".
They can have the title of "marquis" instead of "duke".... Not a big deal anyway.
After 30 years in game they upgraded in Duchy.

REGARDING SARDINIA:
The tag SAR have the "Sardinia" label. This is not full accurate.
Before game start the island was split in four "giudicati", in english is "courts" more or less.
In game the tag is for "Giudicato di Arborea" "Giudicato di Logudoro" "Giudicato di Gallura" and "Giudicato di Cagliari"
A smart solution for this is to rename the tag SAR as "Cagliari" or "Arborea" since they were more local power than national power.
This way the SPI tag can be renamed to "Sardinia" since the "Sardinia-Piedmont" label is orrible (I know that name exists only for this SAR label problem).

REGARDING NAPLES:
I know this is long time refused, but TWO SICILIES should really be in game.
If the reason is "new tag will slow the game"... well that's not an argument. Look at those japanese and african tags: Game is not slow at all. If the reason is "it is useless to have that decision"... It is not. Two Sicilies is the union of Sicily and Naples under one crown.
It is like Florence->Tuscany.
Of course, speaking about game terms, actually there is no reason and it is only cosmetic... But this can be changed to have a reason. It feels like to rule a "medieval" state in the age of revolutions... It feels like playing as holland and ruling all low countries provinces without forming Netherlands.
Two Sicilies should be formed in mid game once Sicily and Naples are under one country which is Naples (or Sicily).

4 - LOCALISATION ERROR: (Finally corrected in patch 1.26)

As patch 1.24.1 there is still this error in Ferrara adjective.

FER:0 "Ferrara"
FER_ADJ:0 "Ferraranese"

The Adjective for Ferrara is Ferrarese and not Ferraranese.

FER_ADJ:0 "Ferrarese"

5 - PROVINCES WITH WRONG NAMES:

Two provinces in the Kingdom of Naples should have different names:

PROV1934:0 "Lucania" should be "Basilicata"
PROV122:0
"Salento" should be "Otranto"

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suddivisione_amministrativa_del_Regno_di_Napoli

As you can read, those two provinces had different names. Lucania is the Roman age name, but in EUIV timeline, since 1442, it is called Basilicata. Salento was called "Terra d'Otranto" (land of Otranto)

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giustizierato_di_Basilicata

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_d'Otranto

6 - MISSING HISTORICAL SAVOYARD CONSORT IN 1444:

As patch 1.24.1 when game start in 1444 Duke Ludovico I of Savoy has no consort. I found in wikipedia (but dunno if is historically correct) that he had a wife at that time.

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_di_Cipro

She was the sister of the King of Cyprus, which led the Savoyard dynasty to claim the title of "king of jerusalem" still nowadays.
Maybe this consort should actually be in game imho cause, if true, is historically accurate.

So, Ludovico I of Savoy should have a consort when game begin.

7 - ISTRIAN GULF SHAPE:

On the left the EUIV istrian gulf. On the right the HOI4 istrian gulf pasted on EUIV map.
Paradox removed the squared memel... They can remove this linear gulf too.

1.png

8 - CULTURES\AREAS SUGGESTIONS:

REGARDING CULTURES:

Before I suggest my changes, I would add a personal opinion about Savoy:
I'm not actually sure that in 1444 the Duchy of Savoy (I mean the country, not the province) can be considered "Piedmontese" (italian, if you know what I mean) as primary culture.

I may claim that they were more french than Italian until they realized they have no chance to expand in french region so they "cultural swap" to Piedmontese moving the capital from Chambery to Torino.

Probably Game Balance require them to be in latin group, and paradox chose that only for that.
Events about culture swap or other stuffs can be added to fix this.

--------------------

The province SAVOIE should NOT BE PIEDMONTESE but OCCITAN if no new "arpitan" culture can be added.

The province KRAIN should NOT BE AUSTRIAN but, CROATIAN if no new "slovene" culture can be added.

The province GORZ should NOT BE AUSTRIAN but VENETIAN. County of Gorz had italian as official language and his population was italian. It was forced to swap to german as official language in 1700's by Austria. This should really be changed asap in game Imho.

The province ISTRIA should NOT BE CROATIAN but, VENETIAN based on game terms:
The Istrian capital in game is TRIESTE which is TOTALLY WRONG.
Venice never had Trieste, nor it was part of his Istrian possession.
The Istrian capital should be POLA (PULA in english).
As i said, culture should be venetian based on the fact that the coast of the region was inhabited by "venetian" people and the country side by slavs. Since the game represent the coastal holding, the culture should be venetian cause of this.

The provinces of DALMATIA and RAGUSA should have DALMATIAN CULTURE.
The Republic of Ragusa may be the primary for this since official republican documents used dalmatian as first language, and latin as second.
Dalmatian culture, as a romance language, should be in latin group if you refer to the leaders and the coastal burghers of the nations.
It can be east slavic if you refer to the country side of the people living there or for gameplay reasons.
If you add the province of KOTOR, you will have 3 provinces for this to fit well in game.
If this can't be done you can let LIKA (or in extent even ISTRIA) have the Dalmatian culture.

REGARDING AREAS:
The ITALIAN GEOGRAPHIC AREA does not refer to "italy" but is delimited by mountains and rivers. As you did with Savoie, which is right that it is in french area, you should really FIX this because those provinces are in wrong areas:

KRAIN should be in Balkan area since it is in its geographic region.
GORZ should be in italian area since it is in its geographic region.
ISTRIA should be in italian area since it is in its geographic region.
SUDTIROL should be in italian area since it is in its geographic region.
ROME should go back to central italy. (Lazio-Campania area... Cmon, Rome and Naples was never united until 1870)
ABRUZZI should go back to Neapolitan area for game balance. (According history, my homeland was always be part of kingdom of Naples despite geographically in central Italy)

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italia_(regione_geografica)

REGARDING IMPASSABLE ALPS:
There should be Alps under Sudtirol (110) and Lienz (1768).
Treviso (1774) should NOT be connected to Sudtirol and Lienz.
Friuli (111) should NOT be connected to Lienz but only to Karnten (128).

SHAPE OF THE GULF OF ISTRIA:
It is 5 years I'm suggesting this but I wont give up:
The Gulf of Istria is so bad represented on the map that is an immersion breaker.
It kill my eyes any time I see it.
Please go for a bit better shape: Just add more pixels in Istria and Draw a Proper GULF!

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can wastelands even be affected by the dynamic province names system? I mean, you can't really own them. Have you tested those names in the game?

Can wastelands even be affected by the dynamic province names system? I mean, you can't really own them. Have you tested those names in the game?

I dont know. Maybe with color own wasteland they do. If dont, the translated entries may be skipped.

Aww, and here I thought this was going to be a suggestion thread for provinces names for Roman culture countries :p

Although I'm no Italian native speaker, I know some Italian names for some German cities. Afaik you could add to this list:
43 = "Danzica" #Danzig
44 = "Amburgo" #Hamburg
45 = "Lubecca" #Lübeck
50 = "Berlino" #Berlin
52 = "Magdeburgo" #Magdeburg
53 = "Luneburgo" #Lüneburg
59 = "Vittimberga" #old name for Wittenberg
61 = "Dresda" #Dresden
62 = "Lipsia" #Leipzig
63 = "Turingia" #Thüringen
66 = "Bamberga" #Bamberg
67 = "Norimberga" #Nürnberg
70 = "Vurtemberga" #Württemberg
78 = "Magonza" #Mainz
80 = "Treviri" #Trier
85 = "Colonia" #Köln
1757 = "Alto Palatinato" #Oberpaflz
1760 = "Coblenza" #KOblenz
1761 = "Palatinato" #Pfalz
1858 = "Stettino #Stettin
1868 = "Augusta" #Augsburg
1874 = "Brema" #Bremen
1876 = "Francoforte" #Frankfurt
1878 = "Aquisgrana" #Aachen
2957 = "Ratisbona" #Regensburg

Although I'm no Italian native speaker, I know some Italian names for some German cities. Afaik you could add to this list:
43 = "Danzica" #Danzig
44 = "Amburgo" #Hamburg
45 = "Lubecca" #Lübeck
50 = "Berlino" #Berlin
52 = "Magdeburgo" #Magdeburg
53 = "Luneburgo" #Lüneburg
59 = "Vittimberga" #old name for Wittenberg
61 = "Dresda" #Dresden
62 = "Lipsia" #Leipzig
63 = "Turingia" #Thüringen
66 = "Bamberga" #Bamberg
67 = "Norimberga" #Nürnberg
70 = "Vurtemberga" #Württemberg
78 = "Magonza" #Mainz
80 = "Treviri" #Trier
85 = "Colonia" #Köln
1757 = "Alto Palatinato" #Oberpaflz
1760 = "Coblenza" #KOblenz
1761 = "Palatinato" #Pfalz
1858 = "Stettino #Stettin
1868 = "Augusta" #Augsburg
1874 = "Brema" #Bremen
1876 = "Francoforte" #Frankfurt
1878 = "Aquisgrana" #Aachen
2957 = "Ratisbona" #Regensburg

They are all correct. I didnt check the province numbers if they match, but the translation is right. I add them to the main list.

Other small localisation request fixes:

Regarding Army Names:

ALL latin countries should have this "ARMATA DI" as default army name

army_names = { "Armata di $PROVINCE$" }

And NOT "ARMATA DE"

army_names = { "Armata de $PROVINCE$" }

Montferrat, Mantua, Etruria and Aquileia have that bug in names.

Athens, Naxos, Corfu and Malta have no army and ship names at all.

Regarding Fleet Names:

ALL latin countries should have this "FLOTTA DI" as default navy name, unless you want more specific\historical fleet names.

fleet_names = { "Flotta di $PROVINCE$"}

For example the venetian fleet was called "Armada" so their first fleet name can be "Armada Veneziana" and then go on with the default list.

I found some mistakes in rulers names too. I will post them when I will get some time.

I had an italian name list I'd already suggested back then. I won't post the names you've already proposed.

in italics the provinces that have a latin name that respects italian phonetics and could have been realistically used in italian, but that I couldn't see attested.
in bold the most important suggestions that are still very common in italian (much more than the native counterpart).
in bold and underlined names that are not only very common in italian, but also relate to provinces very closely influenced by italian culture, that are held at gamestart by italian nations, or that are/were held by one (or italy itself) at some point in history, or that tend to be conquered by italian states in most games.

1 = "Stoccolma" #Stockholm
2 = "Gotlandia orientale" #Östergötland
11 = "Botnia occidentale" #Västerbotten
12 = "Selandia" #Sjælland
14 = "Fiona" #Fyn
15 = "Jutland occidentale" #Vestjylland
16= "Bahusia" #Bohuslän
17 = "Oslo" #Akershus
18 = "Lapponia" #Lappland
19 = "Botnia orientale" #Österbotten
25 = "Gotlandia" #Gotland
27 = "Aboa" #Åbo
29 = "Tavastia" #Tavastland

31 = "Savonia" #Savolax
34= "Ingria" #Ingermanland
35 = "Osilia" #Ösel
37 = "Livonia" #Livland
42= "Varmia" #Warmia

49 = "Nuova Marca" #Neumark
60 = "Alta lusazia" #Oberlausitz
69 = "Alta svevia" #Oberschwaben
76="Salisburgo" #Salzburg
81="Assia" #Hessen
82="Vestfalia" #Westfalen

86="Monaco di Vestfalia" #Münster
1868="Augusta" #Augsburg
2956="Ratisbona" #Regensburg

I have more than I will add if you like.

I recall looking at a latin map of parts of Scotland before, the province
"Fife", was spelled as "Fifa".
"Inverness" was "Innernes".
"Lothian", is "Lothiana".
"Sutherland" is "Sutherlandia".

Don't see anything for "Ayrshire", as really the provinces are much smaller than in game. Aberdeenshire was not a province either, so found nothing for that.

I think these dynamic names could be used for all Italian nations that hold land in Scotland.

Found the map I used before,
Source: http://biblio.unibe.ch/web-apps/maps/zoomify.php?pic=Ryh_1901_16.jpg&col=ryh

I recall looking at a latin map of parts of Scotland before, the province
"Fife", was spelled as "Fifa".
"Inverness" was "Innernes".
"Lothian", is "Lothiana".
"Sutherland" is "Sutherlandia".

Don't see anything for "Ayrshire", as really the provinces are much smaller than in game. Aberdeenshire was not a province either, so found nothing for that.

I think these dynamic names could be used for all Italian nations that hold land in Scotland.

Found the map I used before,
Source: http://biblio.unibe.ch/web-apps/maps/zoomify.php?pic=Ryh_1901_16.jpg&col=ryh

I found the follwing Italian map of Scotland:
http://www.vinocibo.it/images/barman/scozicol.gif

There, Inverness is unchanged, and in the Italian Wikipedia it is also called Inverness.
The "h" in Lothiana and Sutherlandia are also atypical for Italian, e.g. Hamburg is Amburgo in Italian.

I found the follwing Italian map of Scotland:
http://www.vinocibo.it/images/barman/scozicol.gif

There, Inverness is unchanged, and in the Italian Wikipedia it is also called Inverness.
The "h" in Lothiana and Sutherlandia are also atypical for Italian, e.g. Hamburg is Amburgo in Italian.

I am not an expert on the subject, perhaps it was an error by the creator of the map.

Are you suggesting removing the H from the province names? I don't think your example is very good, as H is a different sound from TH.

Anyway, looking at some other maps from the 17th century, it can be seen that Aberdeen is spelled as "Aberdone". So, if the shire part gets dropped, the province could be called Aberdone.
On these two maps, it can be seen that "Lothian" is "Laudonia", which I suppose does strengthen your point however I don't understand why a Latin map would have had places written as "Lothiana" and "Sutherlandia"?
http://biblio.unibe.ch/web-apps/maps/zoomify.php?pic=Ryh_1901_10_B.jpg&col=ryh
http://biblio.unibe.ch/web-apps/maps/zoomify.php?pic=Ryh_1901_9.jpg&col=ryh

I am not an expert on the subject, perhaps it was an error by the creator of the map.

Are you suggesting removing the H from the province names? I don't think your example is very good, as H is a different sound from TH.

Anyway, looking at some other maps from the 17th century, it can be seen that Aberdeen is spelled as "Aberdone". So, if the shire part gets dropped, the province could be called Aberdone.
On these two maps, it can be seen that "Lothian" is "Laudonia", which I suppose does strengthen your point however I don't understand why a Latin map would have had places written as "Lothiana" and "Sutherlandia"?
http://biblio.unibe.ch/web-apps/maps/zoomify.php?pic=Ryh_1901_10_B.jpg&col=ryh
http://biblio.unibe.ch/web-apps/maps/zoomify.php?pic=Ryh_1901_9.jpg&col=ryh

To be more precise: I would suggest not using these dynamic province names at all.

"H" ( in Italian acca) is nowadays used to
  • indicate how c, g and sc are pronounced
  • distinguish some forms of avere (to have) from other similiar words: ho hai ha hanno from o ai a and anno.
Often only cities of (historical) importance have names in other languages. And just introducing new dynamical province names for the sake of adding sth is not the way to go. Italian maps of the UK only depict Italian names for London, Dublin and Edinborough. I also looked up Lothian and Sitherland in Wiki and there tjey are not translated aswell.

Südtirol was part of the Circle of Austria during ~300 years of the game's time span. Therefore, it should stay as it is, since this was the political classification.

And I know that this will lead to hefty debates ...

Yet, I wonder why @Trin Tragula did not respond until now? Usually, he responds to dynamic province names quite fast and promises to add them in the next patch.

Südtirol was part of the Circle of Austria during ~300 years of the game's time span. Therefore, it should stay as it is, since this was the political classification.

And I know that this will lead to hefty debates ...

Yet, I wonder why @Trin Tragula did not respond until now? Usually, he responds to dynamic province names quite fast and promises to add them in the next patch.

We dont need any hefty debates, I'm not speaking for nationalistic stuff, but only for geographical concepts.
For example some patches ago the baleares were in Italian Region... such a mistake!

Yes, i know it was politically part of Austria but you also say "since this was the political classification".
I've no problem in leaving sudtirol in german area but I wont classify "areas" according to political situation.

I would let you notice that Savoy, in example, is politically in Italy at that time but paradox prefer (and I prefer too) to let savoy be in french area.

The same can be for Venetian holding:
"Domini di Terraferma" includes Istria and Dalmatia. They politically in Venice, but I wont claim that Dalmatia is in the Italian area.

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domini_di_Terraferma

If areas are georaphic concepts, sudtirol should be in Italy. Instead, if areas are political concepts... well there is a lot of areas that must be changed.

Last edited:
We dont need any hefty debates, I'm not speaking for nationalistic stuff, but only for geographical concepts.
For example some patches ago the baleares were in Italian Region... such a mistake!

Yes, i know it was politically part of Austria but you also say "since this was the political classification".
I've no problem in leaving sudtirol in german area but I wont classify "areas" according to political situation.

I would let you notice that Savoy, in example, is politically in Italy at that time but paradox prefer (and I prefer too) to let savoy be in french area.

The same can be for Venetian holding:
"Domini di Terraferma" includes Istria and Dalmatia. They politically in Venice, but I wont claim that Dalmatia is in the Italian area.

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domini_di_Terraferma

If areas are georaphic concepts, sudtirol should be in Italy. Instead, if areas are political concepts... well there is a lot of areas that must be changed.
I was referring to the Imperial Circles of the HRE. Südtirol was also part of the County of Tyrol, what is represented by the territory. If you would put Südtirol into the Italian region, the territory Tirol will be down to two provinces, so here we have a gameplay as well as historical reason.

Südtirol is a geographical transit zone. It depends on what geographical criterions you apply, since they will always be kind of arbitrary, one can argue one way or another. (Thinkt about it this way: Do you believe that if humanity had taken a different route, the same criterions would have been developed? This is in contrast to e.g. Newton's laws which would most likely have a different name, but still the concept would be the same.)

If Paradox would ever split Tirol into Tirol, Südtirol, Lienz and Trient/Trentino, then they could do what you suggested.

I'm using this thread for a localisation error I found.

FER_ADJ:0 "Ferraranese"

The Adjective for Ferrara is Ferrarese and not Ferraranese.

FER_ADJ:0 "Ferrarese"

Please fix this localisation bug if possible.
Thanks.

Added two new suggestions to the list.

Two provinces in the Kingdom of Naples should have different names:

PROV1934:0 "Lucania" should be "Basilicata"
PROV122:0
"Salento" should be "Otranto"

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suddivisione_amministrativa_del_Regno_di_Napoli

As you can read, those two provinces had different names. Lucania is the Roman age name, but in EUIV timeline, since 1442, it is called Basilicata. Salento was called "Terra d'Otranto" (land of Otranto)

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giustizierato_di_Basilicata
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_d'Otranto

Still no Italian dynamic names, the game could really use them.

I added a suggestion for venetian ruler in 1444. He has wrong name.

His name was Francesco Foscari but in game is called Francesco Foscarini.