• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always loved Paradox so much and always got your latest games and expansions at day one, full price. I always convinced my friends to get your games, and praised you guys any time I could, just to show how much I appreciated your work.

But this is absolutely BS. "Purchasing power"?? Do you even economy Paradox? I'm from Brazil, and as many other people have said, like many other places, the 'purchasing power' here is nowhere near to have a "increase" like you guys are claiming.

I'm very, very sad to say this. But as a long time fan of Paradox, I can't help but feel backstabbed. Specially because it was all of sudden, with no news about that ridiculous price increasing. We are talking about almost 50% of increase.

I'm just a voice in the middle of the crowd, and maybe you guys don't even care about that, but you just lost a faithful customer, and more important, a true fan.

From this day on, I will not buy ANYTHING developed or published by Paradox, and I will convince anyone else to do the very same.

Shame on you, Paradox.

I respect you being a true capitalist consumer but that doesn't answer my question. Are these price increases equitable to American prices? In other words is the price increase simply to bring foreign consumers in line with what consumers in other markets, like the US for example, are paying? Did this price increase affect the US? I am also curious as to how the new total prices compare relative to the average income in the countries that saw an increase.

Equitable? No. Well, yes and no? Actuality, sometimes its cheaper in comparison. But that's abstract.

What a potential game costs here in the States could double, triple or even quadruple in Russia, Brazil, Canada, RoK and the other countries where the price has been 'adjusted'. Sometimes its equivalent. Sometimes its cheaper. Other times its more. While it might seem trivial for non-US/EU based persons, its kind of a big deal given that the nations in question have drastically different COL (Cost of Living) and or ASWE (Average Salary/Wage Earned). Keep in mind that people living in these countries were typically already paying higher prices than the rest of us in NA and the EU for games given these factors, be they console or PC. As an example, a PS4 goes for anywhere from $1,100 to $2,000 in Brazil, and that's USD.

Now, Valve addressed this issue a few years ago by implementing regional prices, and adherence to this pricing policy isn't required. Devs and publishers can set their own. While a game here in the States might cost me $59.99 on release, it might drop at a equivalent to $29.99 in places like the RoK, Brazil, Russia etc. However, given what the average person might earn in those places it adjusts to an equivalency, more or less. It all has to do with minimum/median wages and currency exchange rates, amongst other factors.

What really has people up in arms is the fact that no one via the Steam platform has ever done this before. Another major issue is that studios like Rockstar, BethSoft, Activision and other developers and publishers maintain the equitable pricing policy while PDX does not. Most people view this new hike as a cash grab, especially given the sale dump Paradox just launched as it appears as a rather convenient mash to crop users into buying content while its on sale before it skyrockets back to its newly set regional prices.

That said, and in no offense to our Russian friends here, but media piracy in the Russian Federation is rampant. A policy like this? PDX is only encouraging it. Well that, and it turns off long time fans.

Good luck Paradox. I think you're going to need it.

In other words is the price increase simply to bring foreign consumers in line with what consumers in other markets, like the US for example, are paying?
When I have this kind of questions, I use the steamdb.info website. It gives a regional price comparison for each game at a glance.
In fact, that's how I found out about the price hike: I was waiting for the summer sale and wanted to check the maximum discount for Tyranny, but the price graph has shown me a recent spike.

I've always supported Paradox and their brilliant games, but have never been a fan of their DLC policy, which in my opinion is simply absurd. The price increase imo isn't justified.
However, Paradox can do it. Why? They have a monopoly on the market, and we will continue to buy their games, simply because there is very little alternative in this genre. I'm surprised nobody has jumped on the market to rival them yet. It's a bloody gold mine.

This is a scum move. Sorry but its just is.

We literally have to pay 2x more now, its insane. We're not talking about a simple $2-5 price jump, its friggin 2x. DLCs now cost as much as base game. Paying AAA pricing for a non-AAA game, i kid you not!! While every other publisher still choose not to pull off this move. Only you Paradox.

Glad to see you "generously" reward fans for their decades of support.
o7

I respect you being a true capitalist consumer but that doesn't answer my question. Are these price increases equitable to American prices? In other words is the price increase simply to bring foreign consumers in line with what consumers in other markets, like the US for example, are paying? Did this price increase affect the US? I am also curious as to how the new total prices compare relative to the average income in the countries that saw an increase.

Short version: No. This isn't a "purchasing power equilibrium adjustment" as:
- Prices for Euro, USD, Pound Sterling are unchanged (despite obvious differences in currency value between them)
- All other countries have gone up - despite purchasing power change clearly varying across the world.
- Which means for example, that the Norwegians are paying more now while the Swede's aren't.

Its just a poorly implemented price hike. It roughly 15% is most developed countries outside the big three currencies. MUCH more in some developing countries. (2x in Russia for instance while there economy is tanking).

Well, that is a rather interesting development.
EeSTmkd.png
Apparently saying that you shouldn't buy some game because of its unreasonably high price is "Off-topic". I see that now.
The question is - what is the point of not allowing me to modify my review? Why not delete it completely? Things "off-topic" shouldn't be in the game reviews, don't you think?

The question is - what is the point of not allowing me to modify my review? Why not delete it completely? Things "off-topic" shouldn't be in the game reviews, don't you think?
Steam reviews are handled by Steam and we can't actually edit or delete them. This makes sense when you think of it, otherwise developers could delete every single negative review of their game ;). Your review is locked until a Steam moderator can investigate it further (and locked so you can't edit what it was reported for).

Greetings, I was introduced to Paradox through Stellaris. After finishing vanilla I had a plan and budget for checking the other games. Earlier today, I noticed the red marks on steam for several games, which brought me here. While the price hike in my country is not as terrible as certain countries, the current situation and rumour on the dlcs make me unsure with Paradox.

I guess I'll keep an eye for now.

Steam reviews are handled by Steam and we can't actually edit or delete them. This makes sense when you think of it, otherwise developers could delete every single negative review of their game ;). Your review is locked until a Steam moderator can investigate it further (and locked so you can't edit what it was reported for).

Looks reasonable enough. Strangely, the reviews for other PI published products I posted (with exactly same text and visibility) left unflagged. Too many reviews to check, everybody understands.
Unfortunately I can't report my own reviews to steam moderators, maybe someone can help me with this?

Purchasing power? Paradox didn't understand that thing. In Turkey , minimum wage is 900TRY(circa 270,46 dollars). Paradox saying DEATH OR BUY. Please come here and survive. You can't live here. You will buy a game , you can't buy anything. Look that prizes. In my country purchasing power declining but paradox said "We increased the game prices. We hope you understand" . Thats a ......... joke.

While these price increases do not affect me as I live in the States, this is still a rather terrible idea and a really poor marketing choice. I mean hell, its fairly obvious its not working out too well judging by the Steam reviews.

So, in order to show my solidarity, I put my Photoshop skills to work.

europayourentiresalary_by_detcord12b-dbcpwgd.png
Awesome mate xDDD

While these price increases do not affect me as I live in the States, this is still a rather terrible idea and a really poor marketing choice. I mean hell, its fairly obvious its not working out too well judging by the Steam reviews.

So, in order to show my solidarity, I put my Photoshop skills to work.

europayourentiresalary_by_detcord12b-dbcpwgd.png
"A division of Goldman Sachs" HAHAHAH!

What a strange thing to do. I don't imagine purchasing power has increased by the same percentages used by Paradox to increase the prices since the release of say, HOI4, in those countries affected. While it will be impossible to determine without full disclosure from Paradox how exactly this came to be, I can't help but wonder if the company going public had anything to do with this course of action. There is unfortunately no way of going back now and I feel like Paradox fans in the affected countries are justifiably upset.

Why did you want to do it? Talking about game price not off-topic, even if PDX want it to be illegal. Reviews made for one purpose - lets people know, what they buy.

I just want to help this company :). It seems that steam community is unable to differentiate off-topic reviews from real ones, and Paradox Interactive need to spend their customers' money to hire a person who checks those awful reviews, instead of putting more content in these awesome DLCs.

I dont understand how you can increase the price on a game that is so old, CK2 has been out since 2012 and it costs £34.99 ! that is insane its like 6 years old. No other publisher increases the price of their old games ( I am sure show one will tell me otherwise but I meant as a general business practice) .
This is not going to end well for PDX. The communities are already pissed off with how poor your last games have been. Now you start charging £16 for a DLC which adds a couple of features ! Compared to other companies your DLC is overpriced and is very poor and that was before you put the price up.

I hope enough of the community complains, please people change your steam reviews and dont buy anything from them only way they will see.

Last edited:
The prince increase here in Brazil was remarkably high. Paradox games are good, but they're certainly not worth these prices.

Compared to other companies your DLC is overpriced and is very poor and that was before you put the price up.

Couldn't agree more. It took some self convincing to get CK2's Old Gods and Sword of Islam, and i was saving to get Conquest of Paradise for EU4. I guess i'm going to have to spend on something else. I'm glad i got the base games before the price spike.

Status
Not open for further replies.