EUIV - Quick Questions / Quick Answers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How do I have to use Vasalls and Trade Cities in order to counter the limited state-amount of a Merchant republic?

If I am around the mediterranean sea, are there 20 like `mandatory` provinces that not to state would be a mistake?

Not really if you turn an area into a state - all provinces in that area will become full cores and count towards that 20 provinces limit.

The best is probably to just turn a few areas close to your capital into full cores so its just at 20 provinces. Then play tall. Develop those provinces into powerhouses with 30+ development each by the end of the game.

20 provinces with 30 development each is 600 development. Note that provinces that are territories dont count towards the 20 province limit so you can have plenty of those. Add to that in vassals and you can become the #1 great power of the world.

Will the rome dlc and patch be backwards compatible with current saves?
Probably not. These days they tend not to be.
never has/never will
I presume you are new to the game? It used to be that the default was being so, AoW with it's massive changes was perfectly playable for example.

Will the rome dlc and patch be backwards compatible with current saves?

There are map changes so you'll have oddities around the new provinces. Other than that there shouldn't be any known issues (but oddities could happen).

AoW with it's massive changes was perfectly playable for example.

I would expect similar issues as with AoW actually: That is, oddities around new provinces mostly.

Am I reading the events text file wrong, or now do you get consulate of the sea as a country modifier instead of a ruler modifier, rendering the book of the consulate of the sea unobtainable?
If by "book" you mean "achievement", there is no problem here. The Consulate of the Sea achievement directly requires you to:
  • Start the game as Aragon at the 1444.11.11 start date in a "standard" setup (normal/historical nations, normal province values, no custom nations).
  • Own the following provinces: 101 (Genoa), 112 (Venice), 121 (Naples), 148 (Thessaloniki), 151 (Constantinople), 137 (Ragusa/Dubrovnik), 220 (Valencia), 317 (Bursa), 336 (Tlemcen), 341 (Tunis), 354 (Tripoli), and 358 (Alexandria)

If by "book" you mean "achievement", there is no problem here. The Consulate of the Sea achievement directly requires you to:
  • Start the game as Aragon at the 1444.11.11 start date in a "standard" setup (normal/historical nations, normal province values, no custom nations).
  • Own the following provinces: 101 (Genoa), 112 (Venice), 121 (Naples), 148 (Thessaloniki), 151 (Constantinople), 137 (Ragusa/Dubrovnik), 220 (Valencia), 317 (Bursa), 336 (Tlemcen), 341 (Tunis), 354 (Tripoli), and 358 (Alexandria)
Im talking about the book of the consulate of the sea modifier, which you get in a mtth 200 months IF you have the "Ruler" modifier, but now the event gives you a country modifier instead of a ruler one
pre 1.22:
option = {
name = "flavor_ara.EVTOPTA1"
add_ruler_modifier = { name = ara_consulate_sea }
}
1.22:
option = {
name = "flavor_ara.EVTOPTA1"
add_country_modifier = {
name = ara_consulate_sea
duration = 18250

And both versions have
trigger = {
tag = ARA
has_ruler_modifier = ara_consulate_sea
NOT = { has_country_modifier = ara_book_consulate_sea }
}

So am I reading this right, it triggers with RULER modifier,instead of COUNTRY modifier?

Add to that in vassals and you can become the #1 great power of the world.

But how to use vasalls? Right now my Vasall Naxos (which I already fed) gives me so little payments, that I think it would be more fitting to annex them and use the diplo slot for a real ally.
Should Venice take Diplo/Influence Ideas for getting income from vasalls??

Has the "trust your neighbor" event output changed ? I got that one :
eu4_2.png
I'm quite sure it gave an increase in stability, so what happened :
- are there two events called the same ?
- have the devs changed what happen when you're already at max stability ?
- have they changed the output of that event ?
Or is there anything else I'm missing ?

Yo!

If i declare war on country X, who is guaranteed by country Y (Y is guaranteed by country Z), will Z get a call to arms if I co-beligerize Y

Georgia guaranteed by Crimea, Crimea is guaranteed by Muscovy. Will Muscovy get call to arms if i co-beligerize Crimea (who has no other allies)

Cheers

Yo!

If i declare war on country X, who is guaranteed by country Y (Y is guaranteed by country Z), will Z get a call to arms if I co-beligerize Y

Georgia guaranteed by Crimea, Crimea is guaranteed by Muscovy. Will Muscovy get call to arms if i co-beligerize Crimea (who has no other allies)

Cheers
I set up a test for this, and no they shouldn't.

The test was letting Scotland Guarantee Ulster and attack Ulster as Tyrone while France still Guaranteed Scotland. Even after the next month France was not in the war.

I set up a test for this, and no they shouldn't.

The test was letting Scotland Guarantee Ulster and attack Ulster as Tyrone while France still Guaranteed Scotland. Even after the next month France was not in the war.

Thanks a lot man, really appreciate the effort!

I was 90% sure that would be the case, but it wasn't worth the risk - last thing i wanted was a winter war in Russia,,,,

Cheers

I don't think you can sell it to them but there is an option to 'grant provinve' in the subject interaction tab

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Thank you, you were right. There are options in the subject interaction for that.

But now I have a new problem: There is the option to "grant claims". I gave Naxos my claim on Epirus, because I thought now I could declare a war in the name of Naxos. But I cant! I lost my casus belli! I even waited a month, but didnt get the cb back. wtf?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Thank you, you were right. There are options in the subject interaction for that.

But now I have a new problem: There is the option to "grant claims". I gave Naxos my claim on Epirus, because I thought now I could declare a war in the name of Naxos. But I cant! I lost my casus belli! I even waited a month, but didnt get the cb back. wtf?
That's odd, you should be able to declare war in their name. Are they operating under Scutage by any chance? (also found in the Interactions tab)

That's odd, you should be able to declare war in their name. Are they operating under Scutage by any chance? (also found in the Interactions tab)

Thats weird. Luckily I could take the mission "vassalize Epirus", which gave me a cb. So 2 month after the initial giving claim away to Naxos I could declare war on Epirus and now I had 2 cbs: the vassalize them and the conquer in the name of naxos. So it took 2 month for the cb to appear. odd.