• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
((Private - Council of State @99KingHigh))

PETITION

FROM THE MINISTER OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS

FOR PERUSAL OF HIS MAJESTY'S COUNCIL OF STATE

STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL

Following the conclusion of the Congress at Aix-la-Chapelle, I am pleased to report that it has been a triumph in all particulars. There remains but one matter to be addressed, necessitated by the convention contracted between ourselves and Great Britain, as well as our outstanding obligations from previous treaties and declarations. As such, I propose for the consideration of His Majesty a petition on the abolition of the slave trade.

Law on the Abolition of the Slave Trade

Preamble

Whereas His Majesty’s Government, by the Definitive Treaty of Peace between His Britannic Majesty and His Most Christian Majesty of 30th May 1814, the Declaration of the Powers on the Abolition of the Slave Trade of 8th February 1815, and the Supplementary Convention between the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and the Kingdom of France of 15th November 1818, did commit itself to the prompt and effective abolition of that abominable commerce, known as the Slave Trade, which is universally regarded as anathema to Christian morality and civilised opinion;

Be it enacted by His Majesty,

Article I.
The Slave Trade, and all dealing and trading in the purchase, sale, barter, or transfer of slaves, or of persons intended to be sold, transferred, used, or dealt with as slaves, practiced in or on the African Coast, shall hereby be prohibited and declared unlawful from 30th May 1820.

Article II.
All dealing, purchase, sale, barter, or transfer, or by means of any other contract or agreement whatever, relating to any slaves, or to any persons intended to be used or dealt with as slaves, for the purpose of such slaves or persons being removed or transported either immediately or by transhipment at sea or otherwise, directly or indirectly from Africa, or from any island, country, territory, or place whatsoever, not being in the dominion, possession, or occupation of His Majesty, to any other island, country, territory, or place whatsoever, shall likewise be prohibited and declared unlawful from the aforesaid date.

Article III.
Consequent to the aforesaid date, any subject of His Majesty, or person resident within the Kingdom of France and the islands, colonies, dominions, or territories thereto belonging, or in His Majesty’s occupation or possession, who, by themselves, or by their factors or agents or otherwise howsoever, deal or trade in, purchase, sell, barter, or transfer, or contract or agree for the dealing or trading in, purchasing, selling, bartering, or transferring of any slave, or any person intended to be sold, transferred, used, or dealt with as a slave contrary to the prohibitions of this Law, shall forfeit and pay for every such offence the sum of one hundred (100) francs for each and every slave so purchased, sold, bartered, or transferred, or contracted or agreed for as aforesaid.

Article IV.
Consequent to the aforesaid date, any subject of His Majesty, or person resident within the Kingdom of France and the islands, colonies, dominions, or territories thereto belonging, or in His Majesty’s occupation or possession, who, by themselves, or by their factors or agents or otherwise howsoever, fit out, man, or navigate, or to procure to be fitted out, manned, or navigated, or to be concerned in the fitting out, manning, or navigating, or in the procuring to be fitted out, manned, or navigated, any ship or vessel for the purpose of assisting in, or being employed in the carrying on of the Slave Trade, or in any other dealing, trading, or concerns hereby prohibited and declared to be unlawful, shall forfeit and pay for every such offence the sum of two hundred and fifty (250) francs.

Article V.
Consequent to the aforesaid date, any vessel fitted out within the Kingdom of France and the islands, colonies, dominions, or territories thereto belonging, or in His Majesty’s occupation or possession, for any of the aforesaid purposes prohibited by this Law, together with all her boats, guns, tackle, apparel, furniture and provisions, shall be forfeited and seized.

Article VI.
Consequent to the aforesaid date, any subject of His Majesty, or person resident within the Kingdom of France and the islands, colonies, dominions, or territories thereto belonging, or in His Majesty’s occupation or possession, who shall, as proprietor, semi-proprietor, freighter or shipper, factor or agent, captain, mate, supercargo or surgeon, so unlawfully carry away or remove, detain, confine, tranship, or receive on board, or be aiding or assisting in the carrying away, removing, detaining, confining, transhipping, or receiving on board, for any of the unlawful purposes aforesaid, any such subject or inhabitant of Africa, or of any island, country, territory or place whatsoever, not being in the dominion, possession or occupation of His Majesty, shall forfeit and pay for each and every slave or person so carried away, removed, detained, confined, transhipped, or received on board, the sum of one hundred (100) francs.

Article VII.
Consequent to the aforesaid debate, all insurances whatsoever to be effected upon or in respect to any of the trading, dealing, carrying, removing, transhipping, or other transactions prohibited by this Law, shall also be prohibited and declared to be unlawful.

Article VIII.
Consequent to the aforesaid date, any subject of His Majesty, or person resident within the Kingdom of France and the islands, colonies, dominions, or territories thereto belonging, or in His Majesty’s occupation or possession, who, by themselves, or by their factors or agents or otherwise howsoever, shall knowingly and wilfully subscribe, effect, or make, or cause or procure to be subscribed, effected, or made, any such unlawful insurances or insurance, shall forfeit and pay for every such offence the sum of one hundred francs (100) for every such Insurance, and also triple the amount paid or agreed to be paid as the premium of any such insurance.

I present this petition for the consideration of His Majesty's Government.

Signed,

His Majesty's Minister of Foreign Affairs

Marquis de Valence

Lothaire listened to most of the proposals of the current Cabinet, as he agreed with them he had no reservations at the moment. However he were mildly concerned about the paragraph regarding religious blasphemy or whatever it was called. But it was not a fight worth fighting at the moment. Instead he would gain moe focus on his Veteran League. To wake them up from the slumber and demand their rights. He would as such retire to his office, for the time being, and command around his secrateries to issue letters to the local Chapter and to send telegrams to the other chapters.
Telegrams to the Chapters of the Veterans League.

We have now awoken from our slumber, we have shown the good people of France that we too care about them. We have given the hungry bread as we have given the sick aid. But we must now resume to fight for ourselves. I therefore wish for all Chapters to hold a grand event of all the Capitals of Departments as we had in Paris in 1817. In honor to that I wish for all of us to hold such an event the May the 19th of 1818 and proceed with annual markings.

This time gather round Veterans, this time have improvised kitchens and aid stations to relieve the poor and those who are in need. But also prepare yourself to make demands for politcal action. Prepare yourself to demand that our rights are finally secured. And remember: Do right - fear none!

As Lothaire had issued the telegram he would organise his own meeting. He would send letters to the local leaders of the Seine Chapter and would proceed to invite the people of the Seine and to inform the local authorities.

Brothers! It is time, the Veterans League will once more extend and invitation to all of it's members to attend to the Rally of Memorial and Grief at Place Vendôme in Paris. The date will be on the May the 19th. This will be a day dedicated to the memory of our fallen brothers thoughout time, dedicated to the brave men who currently serve under our flag and for all who have perished in the name of France. This will not, however, be a memorial of a certain Emperor. There will also be some rules:
  • As the Charter allows all of you can come in your own uniforms. However weapons of any kind will not be tolerated.
  • Any political pamphlets, essays, books and so forth are not allowed. But there will be exceptions, see below.
  • Any banners, coat of arms and so forth that represent the Republic, Revolution or Empire (and other entities and institution regarded as treasonous, enemy of the King and state and illegitimate) are not allowed.
  • All Veterans who enter have to sign up for their attendance, and will be searched. If any of the articles mentioned above are found, they will be prevented from entering the area and banished from the league.
  • You will all behave in accordance to our Charter, the Charter of France and of course you are in uniforms and represent something greater than yourself. It is not only legal-ethically you are to behave yourself, but also as you will represent something greater than yourself.
  • As the people of France have endured hardship as many of us have endured since 1814 (and in wars prior to that) we will rise up again. We will help the people of France, but be prepared to bring demands for secured rights of the Veterans! These will be the only political pamphlets, slogans etc allowed and need to be approved first.
  • Enjoy yourself!
The program is simple and will more or less be as the last program.
-Registration at 0900-1000.
-1000-1100 spectators are invited in.
-1000-1100 there will be served welcome drinks and bread and other food.
-1100 the founder of the League will hold his welcome speech followed by an oath of alliagience to King, France and the Charter and from then to 1200 there will be mingling, croissaints will be served along with caffé and during this time several veterans will come up and tell their story.
-1300 will see several former military-musicians perform - legal - March songs. From then on there will be dedicated speeches, the time for this is tentative.
-After that there will be performed several shows in military disciplines, this is military tattoo, horseback riding, marching etc. Following that there will be chicken soup an beef stew for all who wish. There will be during the entire be a paper where we demand securing the rights of the Veterans - all are welcome to sign this paper and it is to be issued near the food and aid stations. When the spetators leave we, the Veterans, will remain to clean up the Place and leave it in better condition than how we found it.

The Veterans League hope as many Veterans as possible can attend, and remember to show your best side and to not anger the population at any way possible.

Do Dight - Fear None!

People of the Seine! The Veterans League are proud to invite you this wonderful occasion at Place Vendôme and repeat the success of last year. We will mark the end of the dreadful wars that plagued our great Nation and the dreadful famine that is now ravaging the country side. The date is set to be the 19th of May and we hope as many of you will come.

Make this an occasion to get to know the Veterans better and the military history of France. And do not worry, we will have set our own procedures beforehand, so this is no revolutionary nor Bonapartists marking, we will rather mark the end of this period and the beggining of a new one. We seek to be in eternal memory and gratefullness for those who have served for France, currently serve and those who have fell. May we never forget their sacrifice. In light of the current famine the League will do their to accomodate those who are famished, and food and drinks will be served througout the day.

The plan for the day is as follows: 10:00 to 11:00: All those who want to join are to come to the Place and line up. There will also be served simple food and drinks to fill your stomachs for the coming day. 11:00 to 12:00: Opening speech and the Veterans will hold and oath of alligiance to the King. 12:00 to 13:00: There will be mingling among the Veterans, if you wish to you can seek them out and talk to them. Several Veterans will also be on the stand to tell their story. Meanwhile crossaints and caffé will be served. 13:00-13:30: There will be a music performance. 13:30-14:30: Several leading figures and Veterans will hold speeches. 14:30-15:30: There will be entertainment in the form of military tattoo and a duel (non lethal and friendly of course). Fun for kids and grown ups alike! 15:30-16:00: Stew and soup will be served to fill your stomachs after a long day.

After that the day is done and those who wish will also be given one bread to each family. I hope as many of you can come to this wonderful event and that it will decrease the divide between civillians and the military aswell as improve the standing of the Veterans.

As mentioned earlier we're not blin to the plight of the ordinary Frenchman. We will as such provide aid to all those who nee aid medical or in form of foodstuff. Hopefully this event can be a moment of light in a year where most have seen nothing but hardship.

I, Lothaire Lécuyer, are proud to announce that we are to hold another marking in the Place Vendôme on May the 19th. It will mostly be as the preceding year, and we will provide own security, however we will send this notice so you can make the proper preperations of what you see fit.

-Capitaine Lothaire Lécuyer.

((Private @ThaHoward))

Letter from the Bishop of Montauban to the Deputy for the Seine
Dear Captain Lécuyer,

It is with much satisfaction that I found your letter offering collaboration on the issue of resolving this terrible famine which threatens the very foundations of the realm and the livelyhood of so many pious and devout Frenchmen.

I sincerely thank you for your good works regarding the charitable actions of the Most Christian Society of Saint Isidore the Laborer. Should you wish to add action to your good words, the Society is still very much in need of gestures of Christian charity.

With regards to the issue of your letter, I believe the previous government was mistaken by giving up to overcomplexification. It is not the first famine to strike the realm, and therefore, food stocks must simply be purchased to weather this most unfortunate event.

I have thus tabled a Bill which is brilliant by its simplicity, to allow the Government to take the necessary sums to alleviate the plight of our beloved citizens. I sincerely hope that you shall rally your influence behind this Bill to ensure speedy passage.

Avec vous dans la Foy,

Henri-Charles Victorin du Bourget
Bishop of Montauban

Dear Bishop,

I am glad you are satisfied and I hope you will continue to cooperate. Now I agree with your proposed Bill, and I will vote for it if it come up. But I also support the curent government's proposal, not because they are Doctrinaire but since the Law is sound and we finally get a government who are able to look at the immidiate effects and not only the effects of tommorow.

Now I also want you to give some credit to the former Minister Durand as his intentions were good, and we can see that the current agricultural commission actually do good for the Nation and the famine. My committee, however, will not one of the past. It will have a clear goal, it will have a clear period of time and a clear end goal. This is to help them steer toward specific targets. It is indeed also meant to focus on how to provide immidiate relief, to coordinate the different aid groups (such as your) to more effective goals and to research into how to prevent such crisis in the future. I hope you can agree on it, as it would be beneficial, if given clear and correct guidance, to the current crisis and prevent future ones.

-Capitaine e Deputée Lothaire Lécuyer.

((private letter))

Legislatively Decazes has taken over the emergency relief effort with his proposed law and I fear we Doctrinaires have been so slow to respond that we have ruined all faith in our grouping at least as it stands now. If you are reaching out to men of different political leanings to form a committee that can act in a more rapid manner I would argue that such a committee need not be formed by act of law and need not limit its purview to this year's famine. A nimble nonpartisan committee could set about doing in a more coordinated manner what civil groups like the Ultraroyalists' do, except we could cut pass the undisciplined lack of focus and use of violent street tactics.

Your ally,
Duval.

Friend,

I concur on your sentiments. But fear not, Decazes is still a Doctrinaire and have for a long time been a leading one. And while Durand might be disgraced now, his reforms were for the better of France. We might not see it now, but it iwll be in the future.

For the Committee I agree with you here as well. That is my intention, but it would need government direction and government fund. It is to report directly to the government and provide it advise and committ tasks on behalf of the government. Unfortunately I can't set up such a Committee on my own, and that is why I seek to establish it through the Chamber of Deputies. But it seem as if none are interested. If they can't see the longterm effects or simply are not willing to set up more Committees I do not know. But I wish more would listen, and that's why I am sending letters to see who supports it and what potential supporters would like to include in such a Committee.

Now I would also like to ask a favor of you. Even if I am indeed the head of a grand merchant company, my whole life have been dedicated to studies, military life and now politics. As such I really do know little of commerce, and rely on my employees. I am planning to set up an enterprise that are to employ those of the Veterans who are out of work and/or recieve no pensions. I would ask you if you have any suggestions on what I may found in order to employ them and if you through your bank could grant me start capital for that enterprise. My current vision is to establish at least one enterprise in each idustrial center, but many areas have no industries and it would be foolish of me to think I could alone make one in each capital. I therefore ask you for advise on what to found and where to.

Your friend,
Lothaire Lécuyer.

hôtel de Gouvion, 7e arrondissement, Paris: "Saint-Cyr's comments before the students of the École Militaire."

The Marshal's time in the countryside of Eure-et-Loir was short but restful. A new appointment to the General Staff, which had now become a sort of permanent Council of War rendering advice to the King, made it necessary to return to Paris. Fluctuations in real estate prices had made expanding his townhouse in the 7e arrondissement more practical. The necessity of having space to entertain friends, political associates, and provide space for his growing family encouraged him to expand his urban residence by buying out neighboring lots. When not supervising construction or attending to his official duties, the Marshal walked to the Place de Fontenoy and took in the Champ de Mars while strolling. Here was situated the École Militaire, a complex of military buildings that most notably housed finishing schools and continuing education for officers. Saint-Cyr made a habit of giving lectures on logistics and matters of organization every Tuesday. Inevitably the lectures would make a turn towards seminar discussion, where the topic would inevitably become asking for the Marshal's opinion on current events.

The sacking of the previous Cabinet had shaken public confidence in both majority factions. The Ultra's lacked imagination and much of a platform beyond restoring a rose-colored version of the ancien regime. The Doctrinaires were locked in a battle between technocrats and pragmatists that belied the true definition of that faction, namely they were defined by their collective disagreement with the Ultras; indeed, members of the faction shared little else in common. Being pragmatic, Saint-Cyr and his supporters in the legislature and in business had participated enough in Ultra schemes for famine relief, that the Liberal-wing of the Doctrinaires are not as tainted as the technocrats led by the former Interior Minister, Durand, who had essentially forced the government to do nothing for the sake of the forms. While "Monseigneur Deficit" had been thwarted in his general attempt to singularly credit famine relief to supporters of Artois, the damage Durand had done brought down nearly the entire Dhuizon Cabinet, and turned public opinion sour.

The Marshal had become fond of using the example of Durand's hubris as a lesson in the need for straightforward, reactive execution of battlefield decisions, "One cannot account for changing conditions by religiously holding fast to a plan as the gospel truth. Battles are won and lost by reacting to an ever changing set of factors. While we can identify, here in the classroom, examples of conditions we will face in the field, even with the best scouts we cannot predict with absolute certainty the disposition of the enemy, let alone factors such as your pickets failing to detect the enemy's ulans coming across your artillery.

"I am not dismissing the role of rules of engagement in functioning as the strategic framework to lay out your tactics. Rather, it is important to always keep in mind that rules of engagement are generalist in nature. The Omnibus Reform Bill had much content, it was a framework upon which future growth could be planned. Unfortunately it was just that, a framework. It lacked operative phrases and only had the most general of instruction. It committed the one crime that any officer worth his salt knows is virtually unacceptable, namely it assumes that a course of action will follow automatically. When in the field, you are not in the business of making assumptions, distinguish between educated guesses of course, but never, ever assume that something will happen just because it is written that it shall happen.

"The former Interior Minister assumed no further legislation, specifically tied to famine relief, was necessary on account of a committee with proper 'purview' over the situation having been authorized. My colleague did not count on such a committee being paralyzed by political gridlock and unable to decide on a timely course of action. The rest is, as they say, history. Take care not to employ the use of assumptions when holding the lives of your fellow man in trust."

Another usual topic was that of the Veteran's League. Many students asked Saint-Cyr about his service in the Grand Army and why a mere Captain was leading an association of Napoleonic veterans, rather than a great General or Marshal who had won victory after victory, "I think the press is a bit too obsessed with M. Lécuyer. I think he has his heart in the right place but I remember some months ago when he led a few thousand men down the streets of Paris, as the National Guard watched, I could not decide if it was an invitation to war against reconciliation? We must make the best of the France we have now, no matter how one phrases it, donning the old Imperial uniforms and pretending with a wink and a nod that an official discouragement against weapons and the tricolor shall prevent those proud veterans--who fought with and under such artifacts of the recent past--from manifesting what a lifetime has taught them as right, without question, is a bit of a mental stretch.

"Many men who fought under me in the wild fields of Russia and in Germany are members of the League, and to them and other veterans of the Grand Army I can only ask them to accept the pensions that they are due, and retire to enjoy peaceful, long lives in the company of their loved ones. More rallies shall only work to fuel the enemies of the Charter, and gives form to the nightmares the enemies of the King's Charter continue to concoct and willingly invent.

"I am not ignorant of the fact that the latest rally of the League is planned to take place at the Place Vendôme. There in the center stands the Austerlitz Column, made of artillery taken by Bonaparte from his enemies. During the occupation in 1816 a mob tried to topple the statute of Bonaparte surmounting the column; interestingly enough, they failed to drag the statue off its pedestal. Choosing to hold a rally under one of the few images of Napoleon still on public display is a provocation and a threat to reconciliation under the Charter.

"Let the column remain as a monument to those who fell in the Ulm campaign. If any of you students plan to attend such a rally, even out of mere curiosity, I beg of you not to go. Let us not re-litigate the disputes of the past. As a painter and sculptor at heart it would be a shame if the Victory Column were toppled over a political rally, and one that I can say with confidence, that does not reflect the wishes of, or commands a majority of interest from those veterans of the Grand Army it claims to represent."

While Saint-Cyr's remarks were intended for his students, his supporters collected "the best bits" for publication in the major newspapers. For an Army that wished to regain social acceptability, his positions on reconciliation between the old and new would prove popular with rising officers and supporters of the French Army.

Last edited:
- In the last months Alexandre wasn't in his best mood, he didn't even found the inspiration to write in the newspaper he himself founded and loved, he was feeling powerless. As tyrants and monarchs where making treaties about the future of France, the people was starving. Of course, a little relieve was arriving, and even the Legion was doing their duty in trying to help the people of France, but it wasn't enough, he knew that the situation was coming to a breaking point and that the republicans needed to made good use of that, even more thinking that the barbarian ivaders where at last leaving, but he feared that if he took action the could remain more time in french soil. But as he meditated all that, Jarrett entered in the office of the pub and talked to him.

The Legionaries are getting mad. - He said - The want to give hope to the people of France, they want to show them that the Revolution is alive and that there is something worth figting for. Some are even calling for a new leadership, saying that you are weak and questionable, not a true revolutionarie. Alexandre, if we don't act soon, we will loose all we have constructed in this three years.

Alexandre knew he couldn't blame them, he had made them wait for so long that it was logical that they doubted from his leadership, so instead of going mad, he just said - Call our brothers, Operation First Fire is beggining, we are leaving at midnight.

Jarret smiled and leaved fastly and as soon as he left Alexandre could only think about the ambition of the plan they where about to excecute.

At midnight, in the empty streets of Paris, twelve men walked fastly. Most of them with flintlock pistols in hand, and two of them with carabines. In the bags each one of them carried three flags, one was the tri-colour, the second one was a the tri-colour with the fasces in the middle of the flag and the words Légion de la République inscriptep around the faces; and the last one, more than a flag it looked like a giant pamphlet that read "We the Légion de la République, and the people of all France denounce the return of the oppresing church and and his most unholy Pope. We reject the returning of the Ancién Regime and of the oppresing Bourbons. We want bread, we want freedom, we want to live. We will fight for our what you have taken from us. Vive la France, vive la République.".

The plan was moderately easy, eight of them where going to get on top of the objective building, while four will stay on the ground guarding the zone. Once the got on top, the two carabiniers where planned to mantain guard while the other sixs hanged the flags all over the building. The plan was to hang two flags of each type, the rest where only bringed as backup.

As the revolutionaries turned the last corner, they saw the olf building standing proudly. Alexandre slightly grinned and told his men slow the pase and to be quiet. They neared the building by a side, and he told Jarrett and two Legionaries to take guard in the corners and to keep quiet unless something important dtarted happening.

With the guards in position, the other eight men grabbed their grappling hooks and throwed them on top of the building and started climbing up. It was tall, and Alexandre was sweating, he wasn't the biggest fan of heights, but he knew it was necesary.

Once on the roof, Alexandre told the carabiniers to keep their eyes open, and to signal if they saw anything strange. One of them was the young boy he saw at La Petite, he learned his name was Manuelle, and he started taking the boy as a son, seeing great promise in him.

Two Legionaries where orderes to go to the two towers of the old building, with the orders of hanging one tri-colour and one flag of the Légion, one in each tower. While they started climbing, Alexandre and the other three men started hanging the other flags around the building, making sure the wouldn't fell until someone had to take them down.

As he grabbed one of the protest flags and began hanging it, he started to think about how well the operation was proceding, and that they may all return well and without injury to the base. As he finished to hang the flag, he ignited a cigarette while he waited for his fellow revolutionaries to end their jobs. By the time all was set, he looked at his pocket watch and noticed that it was almost four and half of the morning and that they had expended almost three hours in their little adventure. He hurried his men and they began to climb down the old cathedral, preparing to leave the scene as soon as they reached the floor

Alexandre was the last to get down, and as they started walking away from the scene, he just thinked that is all the operations where as easy as this one, France may be free sooner than he expected.

He gave one last look at Notre-Dame de Paris, and the last thought he had before running with his men was that it looked better with the republican colors.

Notre-Dame-de-Paris

The méfait had happened sometime between the Matines and the laudes. The poor priests almost had an heart attack once they realised the republican flags floating on top of the Basilica. Fortunately, it was still very much early in the morning and the scene was thus shielded from the eyes of the vast majority of the population.

The Bishop of Montauban was early on the scene, as he always attended the first mass of the day, at first sunlight, when he was in the Capital. Sensing the commotion and the lack of decisiveness, for the Archbishop of Paris was out on his country estate, he quickly took charge.

- Brother Matthew, quickly go up in the beffroi and remove those flags. Bring them down, be very careful, for they are evidence. Sister Eugénie, would you kindly call on the police?

He quickly entered an adjoining study to write to the Minister of Police.

((Private @99KingHigh ))

Letter from the Bishop of Montauban to the Minister of the Interior and of the Police

Your Grace,

It is with the utmost alarm that I write to you. Sometime between last night and this morning, some miscreants climbed up on top of Notre-Dame-de-Paris and unfurled the most injurious flags against his Majesty the King.

Quite luckily, these uneducated knaves seemed to have forgotten that the matines are celebrated at first light, which gave the opportunity to the good brothers of Notre-Dame-de-Paris to quickly notice the crime.

I have ordered the priests to take the flags down, please send your agents with the utmost speed.

Dieu, Roy et Patrie,

Henri-Charles Victorin du Bourget
Bishop of Montauban

caffe_concordia.gif

Outskirts of Paris, 1818, Mansion of Lécuyer. Super duper secret meeting.

The sun had set. The good people of Paris had gone into their homes after a day that had been exceptionally warm and nice (as opposed to the prior year). Lécuyer had hosted a party for close associates. The guests were high ranking officers who were now leading figures in the League. Others were rich merchants and financers. During the party Lothaire's children had performed plays and Christine the hostess had held an exceptional dinner with all the required meals and entertainment. As the desserts and the following cake and caffé were consumed, Lothaire announced they would retire to the gentleman's room to smoke cigars, drink cognag and discuss matters of importance. The women could go to their room and drink portwine and speak of trivial stuff of no importance.

As the men retired they would first speak of the political climate, domestic as foreign. Some were concerned the famine would lead to another revolution by the masses. Lothaire calmed them down stressing the need of gradual reform and a strong paternal hand watching over it. As the cognacs and cigars were consumed Lothaire summoned his maidens to gather more. He stirred his cognac and stared deep into it reflecting his thoughts.

"Good men. I am sure all of you have heard of Austria and how they are clawing their way through Europe. Italy my friends are supposed to be pacified by the doubleheaded eagle that should be a doubleheade serpent. Devouring the once free people of the peninsula spreading it's poison of tyrranny and reaction", Lothaire took a sip and looked intensly into his cognac and watched the fluid swirl around in his glass as he played with the glass. He would continue "I hope that you all won't say to others what I am to say. Keep your officer's word and to not betray a friend", he eyed his guests and they all approved. "I have been in sporadic contact with a Veteran friend of mine and through my contacts in my merchant company. We all remember how King Joachim-Napoléon Murat of Naples dreamed of a unified Italy. The Carbonari were founded and their principles are liberal ones and to unite all of Italy. I hope we can support them in some way". Lothaire took a deep puff from his cigar and the others started to mumble. Some agreed, others were provoked. "You see. As I said the Empire are taking over Italy. Once the place of civilization, and housing the Kingdom of Rome and the Kingdom of Naples, now it is falling to darkness. I say we help them. That we reach out to these organizations. To make it so that the ideas of Liberalism do not die to the songs of the Concert of Europe, but are reborn in the cradle of civilization".

Lothaire would pause for some minutes, and the guests changed ideas and he continued. "Now where were I.. yes! We must not let Italy fall. Let us ensure the ideas of Liberalism do not die. If Italy are to be unified as one nation, or two nations or if the current monarchies are to embrace constitutional monarchy matter little to me. It matter little if the Bourbons rule in Two Sicillies or if Napoleon the Younger are to be put on the throne of Rome - alltough I consider the former more likely. But we must not let this chance slip. And for those of you who care little of ideas, but are concerned about practical politics. Consider this. Consider that if northern Italy is wrestled out of the dark web of Austria their position will be greatly weakened. This will help France a lot, especially if the states, if God wills it, are to become Liberal. Then they will lean more toward France. If Austria is weakened on the continent, France is strengthened and the German Confederation as a whole is weakened - again to our benefit". For an hour the men would speak of subjects touching and issues relating to theoretical liberalism and what would later be called proto-nationalism.

After many more cognacs Lothaire would once more be serious.
"But let us not be hasty. Let us not attract unwanted attention. For the Veterans here, I say to you find some who are for this cause. Make them go to Italy and the Carbonari and let them advice them. Let them gain functional military organization and tactics, as only then can they beat the Austrians. Also show them how an Austrian man is best killed. The Merchants I tell to you, find ways to establish trade networks in the peninsula. Find ways to fund the rebel group. Now Veterans, if you are caught I will know nothing of you. You are to be expelled from the League and I will give you no support. I am sorry, but we can't risk the entire League on it's own. But as the years go by, we will have to adapt. Perhaps more officers can be sent to the Carbonari to advice on military structure and tactics and strategies. And perhaps later on we can sen volunteer soldiers. Then we can seek glory for ourself, spread liberalism to the cradle of civilization and to weaken Austria. But if we have substantial French influence, we might draw the Italian states closer to France. Of course this are to be secret, but I hope tommorow we will see a free Italy. Freed from the chains of Austria and of tyrrany".

The rest of the night the guests would not discuss politics, but enjoy their lives. The next day they all woke up with pounding headache - but also a purpose.

Friend,

I concur on your sentiments. But fear not, Decazes is still a Doctrinaire and have for a long time been a leading one. And while Durand might be disgraced now, his reforms were for the better of France. We might not see it now, but it iwll be in the future.

For the Committee I agree with you here as well. That is my intention, but it would need government direction and government fund. It is to report directly to the government and provide it advise and committ tasks on behalf of the government. Unfortunately I can't set up such a Committee on my own, and that is why I seek to establish it through the Chamber of Deputies. But it seem as if none are interested. If they can't see the longterm effects or simply are not willing to set up more Committees I do not know. But I wish more would listen, and that's why I am sending letters to see who supports it and what potential supporters would like to include in such a Committee.

Now I would also like to ask a favor of you. Even if I am indeed the head of a grand merchant company, my whole life have been dedicated to studies, military life and now politics. As such I really do know little of commerce, and rely on my employees. I am planning to set up an enterprise that are to employ those of the Veterans who are out of work and/or recieve no pensions. I would ask you if you have any suggestions on what I may found in order to employ them and if you through your bank could grant me start capital for that enterprise. My current vision is to establish at least one enterprise in each idustrial center, but many areas have no industries and it would be foolish of me to think I could alone make one in each capital. I therefore ask you for advise on what to found and where to.

Your friend,
Lothaire Lécuyer.

((private letter))

My dear Deputy,

If it is your intent to raise a Committee through legislation it is better to propose in the Chamber as soon as possible rather than linger. We have seen already how inaction saps the vitality of moderating political forces while the reactionaries gain strength through bold strokes. And besides, lacking an organized faction in the Chamber, any idea you take from one thinker and incorporate into your Committee petition will alienate some other. Bishops will propose things and liberal writers won't have been able to see what they were getting in exchange, they will only see a flawed proposal. Instead, I urge you to act with military vigor and to announce the content of your bill at your upcoming Veteran's League rally. In fact, the more tied to the demands your comrades intend to make there the stronger that proposal will be. Moral force will be what propels it through the chamber, not designing your committee by committee in private correspondence.

As to your request, I am afraid that I must apologize. I am unable to extend such a loan to you for the vague purpose of contributing industry to employ veterans. The Seine Bank is in a fragile state right now and we must be careful with public perception of our stability. Furthermore, I feel what you need is not a business loan over a long-term but for the smaller banks of France to begin making smaller loans to shopkeepers and other small employers, including veterans themselves, who then could employ veterans. The growth of lending banks in France is a necessary step towards industrialization and keeping the populace employed and fed. But again, such vague economic initiatives, even just as a statute within your own Veterans League, would fail to see much results; I am afraid. Instead I propose that your League form a friendly society to provide at an affordable rate, on a sliding scale, mutual insurance against sickness and injury. Like the guilds, the Veterans League could become among its other activities a fraternal benefit order.

With deepest regrets at my inability to furnish you with more support at this time,
your friend and confidante Thibaut Duval

- The morning after the hanging of the flags in Notre-Dame, a pamphlet started to circulate the streets of Paris...

" - People of France, wake up:

Today, as some of you may have noted and that by now the news should be spreading from mouth to mouth, Notre-Dame waked up filled with the flags of the people. We did that as a recordatory that all of you, people of Paris, people of France, where once free. We pledge you all to open your eyes, the tyrants don't care about us, the king is no more than an opressing tyrant that let us starve in the streets. Join us and fight for land, freedom and bread, join us and fight fo Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité. Lets recover what they have taken from us.

You have nothing to loose but your chains!

Vive la Révolution, vive la République!

Your friends and brothers,
La Légion de la République."

TAcxDst.png
On the council of our ministers, and the conviction of our persons, the laws hereafter listed are proposed to the Chamber of Deputies and the Chamber of Peers.

Preamble

Whereas His Majesty’s Government, by the Definitive Treaty of Peace between His Britannic Majesty and His Most Christian Majesty of 30th May 1814, the Declaration of the Powers on the Abolition of the Slave Trade of 8th February 1815, and the Supplementary Convention between the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and the Kingdom of France of 15th November 1818, did commit itself to the prompt and effective abolition of that abominable commerce, known as the Slave Trade, which is universally regarded as anathema to Christian morality and civilised opinion;

Be it enacted by His Majesty,

Article I.
The Slave Trade, and all dealing and trading in the purchase, sale, barter, or transfer of slaves, or of persons intended to be sold, transferred, used, or dealt with as slaves, practiced in or on the African Coast, shall hereby be prohibited and declared unlawful from 30th May 1820.

Article II.
All dealing, purchase, sale, barter, or transfer, or by means of any other contract or agreement whatever, relating to any slaves, or to any persons intended to be used or dealt with as slaves, for the purpose of such slaves or persons being removed or transported either immediately or by transhipment at sea or otherwise, directly or indirectly from Africa, or from any island, country, territory, or place whatsoever, not being in the dominion, possession, or occupation of His Majesty, to any other island, country, territory, or place whatsoever, shall likewise be prohibited and declared unlawful from the aforesaid date.

Article III.
Consequent to the aforesaid date, any subject of His Majesty, or person resident within the Kingdom of France and the islands, colonies, dominions, or territories thereto belonging, or in His Majesty’s occupation or possession, who, by themselves, or by their factors or agents or otherwise howsoever, deal or trade in, purchase, sell, barter, or transfer, or contract or agree for the dealing or trading in, purchasing, selling, bartering, or transferring of any slave, or any person intended to be sold, transferred, used, or dealt with as a slave contrary to the prohibitions of this Law, shall forfeit and pay for every such offence the sum of one hundred (100) francs for each and every slave so purchased, sold, bartered, or transferred, or contracted or agreed for as aforesaid.

Article IV.
Consequent to the aforesaid date, any subject of His Majesty, or person resident within the Kingdom of France and the islands, colonies, dominions, or territories thereto belonging, or in His Majesty’s occupation or possession, who, by themselves, or by their factors or agents or otherwise howsoever, fit out, man, or navigate, or to procure to be fitted out, manned, or navigated, or to be concerned in the fitting out, manning, or navigating, or in the procuring to be fitted out, manned, or navigated, any ship or vessel for the purpose of assisting in, or being employed in the carrying on of the Slave Trade, or in any other dealing, trading, or concerns hereby prohibited and declared to be unlawful, shall forfeit and pay for every such offence the sum of two hundred and fifty (250) francs.

Article V.
Consequent to the aforesaid date, any vessel fitted out within the Kingdom of France and the islands, colonies, dominions, or territories thereto belonging, or in His Majesty’s occupation or possession, for any of the aforesaid purposes prohibited by this Law, together with all her boats, guns, tackle, apparel, furniture and provisions, shall be forfeited and seized.

Article VI.
Consequent to the aforesaid date, any subject of His Majesty, or person resident within the Kingdom of France and the islands, colonies, dominions, or territories thereto belonging, or in His Majesty’s occupation or possession, who shall, as proprietor, semi-proprietor, freighter or shipper, factor or agent, captain, mate, supercargo or surgeon, so unlawfully carry away or remove, detain, confine, tranship, or receive on board, or be aiding or assisting in the carrying away, removing, detaining, confining, transhipping, or receiving on board, for any of the unlawful purposes aforesaid, any such subject or inhabitant of Africa, or of any island, country, territory or place whatsoever, not being in the dominion, possession or occupation of His Majesty, shall forfeit and pay for each and every slave or person so carried away, removed, detained, confined, transhipped, or received on board, the sum of one hundred (100) francs.

Article VII.
Consequent to the aforesaid debate, all insurances whatsoever to be effected upon or in respect to any of the trading, dealing, carrying, removing, transhipping, or other transactions prohibited by this Law, shall also be prohibited and declared to be unlawful.

Article VIII.
Consequent to the aforesaid date, any subject of His Majesty, or person resident within the Kingdom of France and the islands, colonies, dominions, or territories thereto belonging, or in His Majesty’s occupation or possession, who, by themselves, or by their factors or agents or otherwise howsoever, shall knowingly and wilfully subscribe, effect, or make, or cause or procure to be subscribed, effected, or made, any such unlawful insurances or insurance, shall forfeit and pay for every such offence the sum of one hundred francs (100) for every such Insurance, and also triple the amount paid or agreed to be paid as the premium of any such insurance.

Article I. Articles 726 and 912 of the Civil Code are repealed. Consequently, foreigners shall have the right to succeed, dispose and receive in the same manner as the French throughout the Kingdom.
Article II. In the case of partition of the same succession between foreign and French co-heirs, they shall levy on property situated in France a portion equal to the value of the property situated in a foreign country from which they would be excluded, in any capacity whatsoever, Under local laws and customs.

Article I. This law shall remain active for the duration of ninety days, after the expiration thereof, the contents and purposes of this statute shall become invalid.

Article II. The present price of bread, produced in Paris and provincial departments, shall be ceased, and hereafter established at 27 centimes a pound.

Article III. The Ministry of Finance shall fund an adjustment fund for the monetary compensation of the bakers in the amount of 25 million francs.

Article IV. The Ministry of Finance shall make purchase of wheat to the transacted cost of 80 million francs from foreign importation without duty.

Article V. Departmental Prefects are directed to exercise local budgets in excess of 30% of annual revenue to the mobilization of distribution, stockpile, and charitable endeavors.

--
Bonuses:

Name: marquis de Valence
Player: @Syriana
Bonus Name: King's Favorite
Description: Something about this chap makes the King all tingly.
Bonus PP: +3 PP

Name: Henri-Charles Victorin du Bourget, Bishop of Montauban
Player: @Eid3r
Bonus Name: Artois' Sins
Description: A man who knows the darkest secrets of the shadowiest aristocrat.
Bonus PP: +2 PP

Name: duc de Piombino
Player: @Noco19
Bonus Name: Supreme Bino
Description: Lurking in the shadows, the Masons rule all!
Bonus PP: +1 PP

Name: Le Ver
Player: @MadMartigan
Bonus Name: Bourgeois Epitome
Description: Hon Hon Hon

Name: Henri-Maurice de St. Germain
Player: @Dadarian
Bonus Name: *Receives Previous Bonus*
Description: ""
Bonus PP: ""

Name: baron de Roybon
Player: @oxfordroyale
Bonus Name: Rapid Riser
Description: The baron has ascended the ranks with impressive speed; new friends and foes now greet him.

Name: prince of Codé
Player: @Sneakyflaps
Bonus Name: The Conde Wealth
Description: He who owns the wealth, owns the bonus.
Bonus PP: +2 PP

--
Vote like this.

Press Law #1: Oui/No/Abstention
Press Law #2: Oui/No/Abstention
Press Law #3: Oui/No/Abstention
Abolition of Slave Trade: Oui/No/Abstention
Law of the Right of Detraction: Oui/No/Abstention
Famine Relief Law: Oui/No/Abstention
Budget: Oui/No/Abstention

[Profession]
[Party: Doctrinaire/Ultra-Royalist/Liberal Independents/Unaffiliated] ((Make sure to include this!))
[Bonus]

- Name

Remember to bold your votes.

Last edited:
Press Law #1: Oui
Press Law #2: Oui
Press Law #3: Oui
Abolition of Slave Trade: Non
Law of the Right of Detraction: Non
Famine Relief Law: Oui
Budget: Abstention

[Grandmaitre]
[Ultraroyaliste]
[My job burnt down: +1 PP]

- In the last months Alexandre wasn't in his best mood, he didn't even found the inspiration to write in the newspaper he himself founded and loved, he was feeling powerless. As tyrants and monarchs where making treaties about the future of France, the people was starving. Of course, a little relieve was arriving, and even the Legion was doing their duty in trying to help the people of France, but it wasn't enough, he knew that the situation was coming to a breaking point and that the republicans needed to made good use of that, even more thinking that the barbarian ivaders where at last leaving, but he feared that if he took action the could remain more time in french soil. But as he meditated all that, Jarrett entered in the office of the pub and talked to him.

The Legionaries are getting mad. - He said - The want to give hope to the people of France, they want to show them that the Revolution is alive and that there is something worth figting for. Some are even calling for a new leadership, saying that you are weak and questionable, not a true revolutionarie. Alexandre, if we don't act soon, we will loose all we have constructed in this three years.

Alexandre knew he couldn't blame them, he had made them wait for so long that it was logical that they doubted from his leadership, so instead of going mad, he just said - Call our brothers, Operation First Fire is beggining, we are leaving at midnight.

Jarret smiled and leaved fastly and as soon as he left Alexandre could only think about the ambition of the plan they where about to excecute.

At midnight, in the empty streets of Paris, twelve men walked fastly. Most of them with flintlock pistols in hand, and two of them with carabines. In the bags each one of them carried three flags, one was the tri-colour, the second one was a the tri-colour with the fasces in the middle of the flag and the words Légion de la République inscriptep around the faces; and the last one, more than a flag it looked like a giant pamphlet that read "We the Légion de la République, and the people of all France denounce the return of the oppresing church and and his most unholy Pope. We reject the returning of the Ancién Regime and of the oppresing Bourbons. We want bread, we want freedom, we want to live. We will fight for our what you have taken from us. Vive la France, vive la République.".

The plan was moderately easy, eight of them where going to get on top of the objective building, while four will stay on the ground guarding the zone. Once the got on top, the two carabiniers where planned to mantain guard while the other sixs hanged the flags all over the building. The plan was to hang two flags of each type, the rest where only bringed as backup.

As the revolutionaries turned the last corner, they saw the olf building standing proudly. Alexandre slightly grinned and told his men slow the pase and to be quiet. They neared the building by a side, and he told Jarrett and two Legionaries to take guard in the corners and to keep quiet unless something important dtarted happening.

With the guards in position, the other eight men grabbed their grappling hooks and throwed them on top of the building and started climbing up. It was tall, and Alexandre was sweating, he wasn't the biggest fan of heights, but he knew it was necesary.

Once on the roof, Alexandre told the carabiniers to keep their eyes open, and to signal if they saw anything strange. One of them was the young boy he saw at La Petite, he learned his name was Manuelle, and he started taking the boy as a son, seeing great promise in him.

Two Legionaries where orderes to go to the two towers of the old building, with the orders of hanging one tri-colour and one flag of the Légion, one in each tower. While they started climbing, Alexandre and the other three men started hanging the other flags around the building, making sure the wouldn't fell until someone had to take them down.

As he grabbed one of the protest flags and began hanging it, he started to think about how well the operation was proceding, and that they may all return well and without injury to the base. As he finished to hang the flag, he ignited a cigarette while he waited for his fellow revolutionaries to end their jobs. By the time all was set, he looked at his pocket watch and noticed that it was almost four and half of the morning and that they had expended almost three hours in their little adventure. He hurried his men and they began to climb down the old cathedral, preparing to leave the scene as soon as they reached the floor

Alexandre was the last to get down, and as they started walking away from the scene, he just thinked that is all the operations where as easy as this one, France may be free sooner than he expected.

He gave one last look at Notre-Dame de Paris, and the last thought he had before running with his men was that it looked better with the republican colors.
Crime and Punishment
(February 13, 1819)

V803Pss.jpg

The guilty are given their due.
A brazen action had been made upon the Notre-Dame, and much to the shame of the local officers it had succeeded. But Decazes' wrath was not far behind, and he exerted his energies to the seizure of the conspirators.

The guards were first to find a boy named Manuelle, who had been told by some nearby that this child had spoken with one of the "Legionaires." Manuelle, evidently in the employ of some indelicate organization of pick-pockets, swore to the guards upon capture that his intention was only to hoodwink this man who had introduced himself as "Alexandre." It had seemed that this foolhardy legionnaire had picked too public a place not to be identified, and soon thereafter many a nearby gentlemen and lady defected to the inquiries and rewards of the police.

The conspirators had failed, furthermore, to make exit from Paris, and now the authorities were on their trail. They first found the location of a secretive printer, not far from the former premises of L'Elan in fact, and made swift imprisonment to those who had rented their services to the treacherous sentiments.

With the printers in detainment, the authorities now came upon the residences of the traitors, and one by one they were brought into the custody of the police. Some were bold in their defiance, others were all too eager to save their skins by betrayal. Those who made happy confession to the police were given a stern sentence and left to their own devices as all had pointed their fingers at Alexandre and his inner cabal.

Before the court in chains came Alexandre and colleagues of treacherous disposition, and by the admissions of their former allies, they were determined to be guilty of treason. Deliberations were brief, and soon the gentlemen were escorted away from Paris, where they had been condemned to death by firing squad.

A dozen gentlemen, after taking the last rites, were lined and executed. With crime, comes punishment.

-
Alexandre is executed.

Shortly before his visit to Paris, Jean-Paul de Saint-Germain was purely through merit promoted to the rank of Lieutenant. Coinciding with his first appointment with the Freemasons, and his patronage for a newly founded bank, the promotion was a most splendid and unexpected honour.

- Private @MadMartigan -
To Monsieur Thibaut Duval,

My most warm greetings, Monsieur. I write to you with an apology; due to my ongoing commitments to the Army I have been unable to fully part-take in the management of our co-venture. I write to you to ensure that I am still fully aboard with the financial strategy you have laid out, and that I would like to thank you for the continued management of the Seine Bank.

I will be in the city of Paris soon, and while I have made some commitments with a series of friends, I would strongly like to meet with you and discuss both current and future business when I am free. Please do not hesitate to call upon my estate in Saint-Germain within the next week. I would like to discuss plans as to how our organisation can assist not only the French People but also the French Kingdom.

Jean-Paul, Comte de Saint Germain

Abolition of Slave Trade: Oui
Famine Law: Non

[Lieutenant, Bank Proprietor, Playboy]
[Unaligned]

Last edited:
Abolition of Slave Trade: Abstention
Law of the Right of Detraction: Abstention
Budget: Abstention

[Military officer]
[Ultraroyaliste]
[Rapid Riser: +1 PP]

- Alexandre Louis Desrosiers, baron de Roybon

Press Law #1: No
Press Law #2: No
Press Law #3: No
Law of the Right of Detraction: Oui
Budget: Oui

[Silk Merchant, Printer, Banker]
[Party: Unaffiliated]
[Bourgeois Epitome: +1PP]

- Monsieur Tibault Duval

- Private @MadMartigan -
To Monsieur Thibaut Duval,

My most warm greetings, Monsieur. I write to you with an apology; due to my ongoing commitments to the Army I have been unable to fully part-take in the management of our co-venture. I write to you to ensure that I am still fully aboard with the financial strategy you have laid out, and that I would like to thank you for the continued management of the Seine Bank.

I will be in the city of Paris soon, and while I have made some commitments with a series of friends, I would strongly like to meet with you and discuss both current and future business when I am free. Please do not hesitate to call upon my estate in Saint-Germain within the next week. I would like to discuss plans as to how our organisation can assist not only the French People but also the French Kingdom.

Jean-Paul, Comte de Saint Germain

((private))

To the Right Honorable Comte de Saint Germain

With the Bank to think of, I have been spending more time in Paris and away from my wife and printing press in Marseilles. The printing press may be of no use to me soon if the new press laws pass, with their outrageous fines and deposit requirements for papers, but my wife Shoshanna will be moving the primary household up here soon. I shall take you on your offer to call upon you this week at your estate, but not long in the future you must visit us at our Paris address and meet her. She is eager to be introduced to the man who is taking up so much of my time, ho ho!

Speaking of my time in Paris, I have joined an excellent gentleman's club - Club Citoyen. With my chef still in Marseilles I have been dining there most evenings and have found the conversation that desirable but rare combination of congenial but not too stimulating as to ruin the appetite. Memories of my old university drinking society keep me away from the rowdier sets these days, but the Citoyens are a "good bunch of chaps" as the Anglaise might put it.

Thibaut Duval; General Manager, Seine Bank

An invitation to the more moderate leaning ultras as well As some ultra-leaning doctrinaires in the Chamber of Deputies (Private to NPCs, I imagine about 60, split around 40 ultras and 20 doctrinaires)

An Invitation to the Hôtel de Lassay on the 15th of March, 1819
WGa2d4D.png

It is the Prince’s wish to invite you to a banquet on the 15th of March at the Hôtel de Lassay, attended by his Highness the Prince of Condé himself, along with several other deputies from the Chamber. His Highness looks most forward to seeing you, to discuss either during dinner or afterwards the future of France, and where your person sees its path to prosperity.

His Highness therefore hopes that you will accept this invitation and entertain his presence for an evening with plenty of food, great wine and no doubt multiple speeches.

XHZ4Ts0.png

An unneeded funeral
The men were in a dark room, a single light flickering fitfully, a futile effort to fight the coming darkness with it's limited wick. It was silent for a long, long time. The two men, standing and staring at the prisoner tied to the chair, seemed to hold their breath. When a sneeze from the smaller of the two shattered the quiet, the two men's nervous energy burst forth, a levee broken.

"Tabarnac Georges, I think he's dead."

"He's not dead, he can't be dead, if he's dead I'm dead."

"By the Chalice of Saint Mary, I swear upon the Tabernacle I will strangle you if this guy is dead. He's our only connection to the arsonists."

"I know."

"I told you using that truncheon was too much."

"I know."

"You broke off his nose. Not broke it, it's hanging Georges. Hanging!"

"I KNOW!"

"Well what do we do now?"

"We just say that he admitted it was the bastard du Conde? I mean like, we were going to blame the guy regardless right?"

"Yes, but if he's dead we can't get a confession."

"He'll write it?"

"We're illiterate Georges, what're you going to do, just put an X on the page and give it to Henri-Maurice?"

"Yes."

"You nitwit, why I outta...."

Just as the smaller man was about to throttle poor Georges, the prisoner coughed sharply. This frightened Georges, the innocent soul he was, who promptly kicked the prisoner and knocked him order. It was silent once again until the prisoner moaned weakly. Which prompted the smaller man to take off his shoe and begin a vain effort to beat Georges over the head, but whose height forced the slight man to settle for impotently beating Georges' shoulder instead.

((Roll or whatever I guess))

15sNzwI.png

To his Majesty the King and His Majesty's Cabinet
From the Ministry of War
Concerning the reforms put forth by the Prince de Condé and Maréchal de Saint Cyr

Strictly Confidential
Your Majesty, Honorable Ministers,

We, in the ministry of war has looked and reflected upon the two proposals and will in this letter set forth what we believe that the Royal Army needs.

On the Prince de Condé's proposal:
From his The Organizational Reforms of 1818, we have decided to recommend that §1, §2 sections II-V, §3 with the height being from 5 feet and up, instead of: "Have a height of no shorter than 5´2 inches and no greater than 5´6 inches", and §4 be implemented to further help the recruitment of the Frenchmen.

From his French Army Reform, we have decided to recommend this for his Majesty's armies as it simplifies and standardizes the army sizes, and makes sure that there can be made no mistakes concerning how big an army is.

Concerning the Maréchal de Saint Cy's proposals:
From his Law on the Recruitment of the Army, we recommend that the First Section, the Second Section with the removal of point 14 and 15, the Third, Fourth and Fifth sections, the Sixth section, with point 29 saying: 29. No officer shall be promoted to a higher grade if he has not served four years in the next lowest grade. Exceptions to this rule can only be made in the case of national emergency, for extraordinary needs, for brilliant actions made in the course of service or by decree of his Majesty; be implemented to further streamline the recruitment in the Royal Army.

Your Loyal Servant
bOo9Ll3.png

Law of the Right of Detraction: Oui
Budget: Oui

[Peer/Minister of War/Maréchal de France]
[Party: Doctrinaire]
[Minister of His Majesty, + 1 PP]

- Bon-Adrien Jeannot de Moncey, duc de Conegliano, Baron de Conegliano, Maréchal de France

Last edited:
THE END OF THE OCCUPATION

7B3ci2o.jpg

Now came the resolution of hostilities, and the end of the overdrawn presence. The armies of Europe, weary of plunder and lethargy, made slow procession homeward.

France was now emptied of foreign banners, standards, and complexions.

Could she stand on her own?