• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

eon 5

Corporal
1 Badges
Apr 14, 2017
  • For The Glory
As I after some years without playing EU2 start it again I decided to buy FtG - presuming that it is a better EU2.

As a whole it's what I expected, more polished look and interface, but also incorporating those wishes we had as an EU2 community regarding the game machine and added user created/modded events.

What I somewhat misses is the picture of a besieged, darkened city in the control panel, where it lights up with randomly placed fires as the beseiger begins to break down the defence. It was fascinating and a bit entertaining to see the randomly started fires appearing. The new non-changing air view of a city is not that attractive. Especially as it is a bit "blurred" picture - I don't think it fits in FtGs design as such.

Also a bit of nostalgia hits the new cannon design figure in the battles, it is more logical and historical that the old one, but the old design was very cute and funny I think. :D

The new views of provinces is very nice, apart from the better resolution in the view there is a lot of work done to the content like buildings etc. Nice work!

A question: I'm running for the moment with AI aggressivenes set to furios. Does that also affects revolts in any way ? E g revolt frequence, revolt chance of capturing the province or other aspects? It seems that there are much more revolts compared to EU2.

What other behaviour differences is to be expected compared to EU2?

Revolts compared to EU2 are difficult because EU2 itself had some changes from patch to patch, 1.09 being the last:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/rebel-faq-v1-09.200487/

AI to furious has it’s own problems - the AI is likely to declare war more often which means that the AI often fights the AI weakening the opposition left for the later game. For the AGCEEP mod and a somewhat historical experience mod "weakling" is recommended. In that setting the AI declares less wars, does not waste it’s resources fighting more than necessariy against other AI and the endgame might be still having more opposition to the player.

If you ask about changes you should always make sure to mention what exactly you are playing. As far as I remember from the other thread you were playing a game in the MyMap-mod and not vanilla FtG?

Have you already played through the tutorial and read the manual that was updated from the EU2 manual
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/manual.443229/

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. Downloaded the manual so I have some reading to do...
Yes, currently I was playing MyMap. Thinking of trying vanilla also.

Another thing that is important: You can now send armys and fleets to a destination whithout having them (the travel) aborted by a battle before reaching the destination.

Another thing that is important: You can now send armys and fleets to a destination whithout having them (the travel) aborted by a battle before reaching the destination.
A good rule of thumb: if something in EU2 annoyed MichaelM, it's different in FTG.