• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sir Garnet

Field Marshal
63 Badges
Feb 10, 2004
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Sengoku
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
STEEL DIVISION collected hotkeys and controls sheet vApr16--->>1 page pdf added for your convenience
[INFO/SELECTION]: Left-click
- Select a unit. Left Click-drag mouse to select multiple units at the same time – a window with them all appears on the bottom edge.
Double left-click= Select all local units of same TYPE.
CTRL + Left-click
to select all units of the same TYPE.
ESCAPE to pause solo game; F5 to Quicksave.
Shift + Left-click on a unit to add/remove it from the selection.

TAB
cycles focus through each type of unit in the selected group. E.g., draw a box and TAB to select artillery.

Ctrl-#
0 to 9 assigns that as hotkey for selected unit(s). Double tap # to snap to the group.
CAMERA Movement by WASD or arrows. MMB+mouse rotates view Scroll wheel – Zooms.
Hold SHIFT when giving orders to queue them to the last one given (e.g., waypoints)

COMBAT MOVES:Left-Shift shows normal orders sky blue, Fast vehicles blue, attack mode red.

Left-click - Select a unit (holding the button will allow you to select several units at the same time)

Right-click on destination to move there directly OR Right-Click on enemy to order NormalAttack

F + left-click =Vehicle moves Fast using roads without seeking cover.

U=Unload from transport vehicle
Y+Left click
to Unload at click position, will auto cover if it is active and cover is near.

Q- Left-click to HUNT=seek and engage enemy at clicked location or move to engage, using cover
Z = Riposte=only fire if fired on X= Spread out a group of selected stationary units

E = STOP – end moving and shooting. G=Move vehicle in reverse away from enemy

R=Retreat unit toward safety to recover {click?) V = evacuate aircraft from the map

T-Left click =Shoot Target position (see aim timer) B + left click – fire artillery smoke at clicked position.
J=Call linked off-map arty to shoot. N=Auto-Cover (toggle) automatic movement to nearby cover.

PLAYER BEACONS:F1=Flare Attack, F2=Flare Defend, F3=Flare Help, F4= Flare Custom message
ENTER = opens TEAM chat. SHIFT-ENTER=opens ALL chat
Weapons can be turned off on the active unit card to save ammo, remain stealthy etc.
H =Toggle weapons on/off

DEPLOYMENT etc
I = unit info card I // H= Toggle Weapons ON/OFF or click to deactivate.

C = Line Of Sight from cursor, which shows green or yellow cover when hovering over it.Click to go there.
Click on eye icon on unit card to view LOS from unit’s perspective.

LEFT-SHIFT displays all orders given and targets C shows LOS One circle is {____m}.

Bullet icons=unit needs ammo; Resupply truck must be near the unit it is supplying and shows animation.

Spacebar is used for centering on a given event;
#Upon a event (unit under fire, enemy unit detected, enemy or own unit destroyed et cetera; upper right), pressing Space moves and centers the screen at the location the current event has occured (within a given fairly narrow timeframe).

Options->controls gives you a more comprehensive list, and a way to change them.
See www.paradoxplaza.com/steel-division-player-guide/#2

Please post additions and corrections so I can update or maybe Eugen will come out with a full table soon - they will eventually. I find I can attached a revised one-pager covering the above.

Attachments

• Steel Div Hotkeys Apr 16 3d pass.pdf
    86,5 KB · Views: 2.329
Last edited:
TY fchanges added.

You may wanna add in this:

• Press F5 for quicksave
— Saves a quick save-game;
# Pressing F5 continuously overwrites the previously saved quicksave​
Top definition:
quick·save, also: quick-save

A method for instantly saving the state of a video game, designed for pussies who cannot beat the game without cheating.

Smartcom

enter to open team chat
shift + enter for all chat
shift + left click to add/remove units to selection
ctrl + left click to select all units of the same type
right click + drag to see a 3d positional model
shift to queue orders
double tap ctrl-group (1,2,3,etc) key to snap to unit
ctrl + camera keys to rotate and zoom

don't know what alt and space are used for

don't know what alt and space are used for
At least Space is used for centering on a given event;
#Upon a event (unit under fire, enemy unit detected, enemy or own unit destroyed et cetera; upper right), pressing Space moves and centers the screen at the location the current event has occured (within a given fairly narrow timeframe).​

Smartcom
PS: I'm still trying to figure out what key if any is locating a selected unit …

At least Space is used for centering on a given event;
#Upon a event (unit under fire, enemy unit detected, enemy or own unit destroyed et cetera; upper right), pressing Space moves and centers the screen at the location the current event has occured (within a given fairly narrow timeframe).​
Smartcom
PS: I'm still trying to figure out what key if any is locating a selected unit …
Good info, thanks. Using Space did not seem to do anything when I tried it, but of course that was at slowest speed for easiest observationn. Do you have a source of more unpublicized top secret UI info?

BTW, to locate a selected unit ICtrl-9 double tap 9 assigns a group number snaps to the unit in a few seconds.

Why post this? Can't you just go to options and look for the one you need? :\
I'm just being needlessly helpful.

Some players might feel pressed for time or annoy others when having to go to options to check something during a game, while for others it is drilled into them to prepare before battle as failure to RTFM can kill you in games as in life. This may save time for both. I'd rather someone else did it, but with the game out a week and not finding much online, here we are.

Another point so obvious I did not mention it. If I am going to play with other people, the least I can do for my teammates is to know how to move and fight my troops.

Why post this? Can't you just go to options and look for the one you need? :\
A fairly bunch of those functions aren't even declared nor mentioned within the controls-menu in the game or explained in any manual given.
That's why we need a controls sheet here …
Do you have a source of more unpublicized top secret UI info?
Unfortunately no, just figured 'em out on my own.
BTW, to locate a selected unit ICtrl-9 double tap 9 assigns a group number snaps to the unit in a few seconds.
That's only to assign units to custom groups as on many other games like Men of War, Company of Heroes and such, isn't it? There seems to be no option to locate (in terms of centering the screen on it) the just selected and currently active unit, right? Anyway, it's indeed helpful – thanks in advance!

Smartcom

Did more clean up and some checking what works and added a pdf of the page.

Info to be added:

:Right-Click on a friendly side unit to follow it
(e.g., command unit to follow a combat unit, or supply to follow artillery formations, put together a convoy

Queued Orders: Left click on a unit. hold shift, give order sequence, release shift. This can for example include going through multiple waypoints, Unload, and deploy into terrain location order.

Hi everyone !
Thanks a lot for adding this thread to compile everything, always nice discover new shortcuts that become quickly essential !

I presented the game to a friend a mine today, as for me it was his first Wargame serie game. We were wondering why do Left-click and Right-click are set for some actions but not all ? Having basic orders with Right-Click, and all actions with Left-click in somehow really confusing. Like "Unload at position" is Left-click, deploying is Right-click, "Fire at position" is Left-click, orders for planes is also Right-Click, etc.
After three or four games it's becoming okay, but I found these controls oddly defined. Do you, Wargame serie veterans, know why ?

And a last question : how do you deselect a plane ? When you wanted to send a Typhoon rocket a tank, but you change your mind, I can't find how to do it, I just select another unit for example, but Right-click somewhere else doesn't seem to work in that case ?

And a last question : how do you deselect a plane ? When you wanted to send a Typhoon rocket a tank, but you change your mind, I can't find how to do it, I just select another unit for example, but Right-click somewhere else doesn't seem to work in that case ?
A Right-click at this time just orders the plane to attack the given position.

The command Left-click is used for conditions like that;
#You can revoke an order for a plane (decided otherwise, the respective enemy unit you were about to attack got already destroyed, a enemy plane suddenly comes out which may endanger your plane's mission; while having the plane already selected and chose a mission's option) you were about to issue by Left-click another unit of those which were already being deployed and are active at the battlefield.​

Smartcom

Dont forget all the things that do NOT work:

- Spacebar will never center on the event that actually matters most of the time
- no shortcut to activate LOS from unit view (the little "eye" button on the upper left side of the lower right side HUD box is has no asignable hotkey option)
- you cannot deselect your units in a uncomplicated "standard" RTS way
- quick move requires a lot of attention if you dont want to lose a lot of units since it works even worse than in the previous game titles
- Fire order (attack ground) with artillery can make ur arty units drive towards the target location if out of ammo (deactivate all direct weapons)
- no hotkey or option to disable automatic unit facing
- you cannot select units that are falling back
- Yes, your units will move automatically very often because of ridiculous reasons (fire mostly)
- avoid making groups while units that are asigned to the group are falling back

We were wondering why do Left-click and Right-click are set for some actions but not all ? Having basic orders with Right-Click, and all actions with Left-click in somehow really confusing. Like "Unload at position" is Left-click, deploying is Right-click, "Fire at position" is Left-click, orders for planes is also Right-Click, etc.

The similar-level but turn-based Battle Academy offered several options, including context-sensitive selections on order popups triggered by right click. The main issue is that the order process does not seem consistent so is harder to recall.

Dont forget all the things that do NOT work:

- Spacebar will never center on the event that actually matters most of the time
- no shortcut to activate LOS from unit view (the little "eye" button on the upper left side of the lower right side HUD box is has no asignable hotkey option)
- you cannot deselect your units in a uncomplicated "standard" RTS way
- quick move requires a lot of attention if you dont want to lose a lot of units since it works even worse than in the previous game titles
- Fire order (attack ground) with artillery can make ur arty units drive towards the target location if out of ammo (deactivate all direct weapons)
- no hotkey or option to disable automatic unit facing
- Yes, your units will move automatically very often because of ridiculous reasons (fire mostly)
- avoid making groups while units that are assigned to the group are falling back

also cannot retire unnerved units facing the death wave as it slithers across the map.

Thanks for the guide! As noted by others, there are quite a few tips there that are not in the "official" documentation. Well, SD44 is still in beta :)

As for the other annoyances - cannot select routing units, crazy movements, etc - well, of COURSE you can't command panicking units and I consider unintended unit movements to be part of "Fog of War." Surprise - units have a mind of their own! Ok, that may not have been Eugen's intention, but it works for me. It's an undocumented feature, not a bug!

Go play the Command Ops series for extra fun.. Units marching off wherever they feel like it, shooting at shadows, routing if a mouse farts in their general direction, and taking smoke breaks whenever the action is hottest. But for CO, it's intentional FoW. :)

If you were responding to my comment about the Death Wave, I would think units in panic would try to withdraw, or just plain run, rather than sit in place and await likely death. Acceptance of surrendering was uncertain.

However, armor with a leader near and doing well can be swept away as easily by the tide . If in good shape, it should be able to make a resposne by withdrawing some distance.

Hi Garnet! I was not responding not responding to you specifically, just that I've seen a lot of commentary on "the units don't move exactly where I want them to!"

I fully agree with you that the withdrawal/retreat mechanisms need some additional dev work. That being said, if you're getting shot at or bombarded out in the field, your first reaction is to dive as deep into the mud as you possibly can, no? Running away involves getting up.... But yeah, armor should just reverse into the nearest bush. Or pub, if there's one of those around. ;-)

Hi Garnet! I was not responding not responding to you specifically, just that I've seen a lot of commentary on "the units don't move exactly where I want them to!"

I fully agree with you that the withdrawal/retreat mechanisms need some additional dev work. That being said, if you're getting shot at or bombarded out in the field, your first reaction is to dive as deep into the mud as you possibly can, no? Running away involves getting up.... But yeah, armor should just reverse into the nearest bush. Or pub, if there's one of those around. ;-)

Its just that Wargame/Steel Division Unit AI and pathfinding is just the worst I ever witnessed in RTS games.
And the thing is, its not even intentional, its just nobody every fixes that stuff... or thinks about it.

For example, "move quick" can turn out as an abysmal order in Steel Division since Offroad speed of most units is so small, that moving on road is almost always faster, even if it means to drive the most ridiculous routes (especially towards the enemy or through enemy held towns, hehe).

Plus, the feature to make the selected route of a unit visible is not working well/is bugged and therefor completly useless.

I just got used to stuff like that from Wargame, but Steel Division brings us new joy in that regard, lol :D