• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #65: Music from Utopia

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today's dev diary is going to be about the new music added in Utopia, so I'll start by giving the word to the very man who created it: Andreas Waldetoft, our resident composer.

Utopia Music (Part of Utopia Expansion)
My name is Andreas Waldetoft and I am fortunate enough to be the senior music composer here at Paradox.

From the get go when we started discussing Utopia music and what it should be, we talked about having large scale music. What better way to get that kind of music then with a full live orchestra with synths added on top!.
But why stop there, we extended the brass section with more horns and more low brass. What we ended up with was a rather loud sounding ensemble to say the least.
In fact, we had to record the brass by themselves on a few tunes just because it was hard to hear all the other instruments as the brass leaked way to much in the other sections mics.

We had decided to go for the Budapest Film Orchestra as we had heard they had done a good job on quite a few games already and knew the drill.
This first piece I want to share is a song called “Towards Utopia”, this excerpt section is in the middle of this long tune.

(Music sample: Excerpt from “Towards Utopia”)

I always get impressed when going on these recording sessions, the musicians were really top class. They had to endure gut wrenching long breaths, really weird time signatures and really fast runs for extended periods of time. I was actually surprised at some difficult passages how they nailed it after just a few runthroughs. Thanks to this we actually had time to record some extra stuff which I had written in half a day or so before going to Budapest. This next tune I want to share is one of those bonus songs. I am extra pleased that we got to record this one because it is a lament to one of the greatest scientist Stellaris has ever produced!
The song is called “In Memory of M.R” and it was recorded in one take, 5 minutes before we had to pack up and end the recording session. The musicians had never seen the music sheets before and this is what happened.

(Music Sample: Youtube video of “In Memory of Mercedes Romero”)

I hope you guys will like the new music for Utopia and I can’t wait to do more music for Stellaris when I get time off from all the other games we are doing.

This is a list of the songs included in Utopia with a running time of 24 minutes and 30 seconds:
“A New Dawn”
“Towards Utopia”
“The Imperial Fleet”
“Cradle of the Galaxy”
“In Memory of M.R”

/Andreas

The Music Player (Free Feature)
Thank you Andreas! I also wanted to touch briefly on the Music Player. The Music Player is an in-game tool that allows you to browse the music tracks available in the game and pick specific tracks you want to listen to. It also allows you to set which tracks should be on your playlist, whether they should play sequentially or use random shuffle, and also lets you go back to previously played tracks and skip forward to the next track. In other words... it's a music player, exactly as it says on the tin. :)
2017_03_16_1.png

Finally, I'll leave you with a cryptic little note: There's something special that's been added to the audio for Banks by none other than our Audio Director, Björn Iversen, himself. Keep your eyes peeled for it in the patch notes...

That's all for now! Next week we'll start wrapping up the Utopia/Banks dev diaries by talking about colored ships and a few other tidbits.

Last edited:
Will the new tracks, and the tracks from Leviathan ever be made available for purchase and download, similar to the the OST?

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today's dev diary is going to be about the new music added in Utopia, so I'll start by giving the word to the very man who created it: Andreas Waldetoft, our resident composer.

Utopia Music (Part of Utopia Expansion)
My name is Andreas Waldetoft and I am fortunate enough to be the senior music composer here at Paradox.

From the get go when we started discussing Utopia music and what it should be, we talked about having large scale music. What better way to get that kind of music then with a full live orchestra with synths added on top!.
But why stop there, we extended the brass section with more horns and more low brass. What we ended up with was a rather loud sounding ensemble to say the least.
In fact, we had to record the brass by themselves on a few tunes just because it was hard to hear all the other instruments as the brass leaked way to much in the other sections mics.

We had decided to go for the Budapest Film Orchestra as we had heard they had done a good job on quite a few games already and knew the drill.
This first piece I want to share is a song called “Towards Utopia”, this excerpt section is in the middle of this long tune.

(Music sample: Excerpt from “Towards Utopia”)

I always get impressed when going on these recording sessions, the musicians were really top class. They had to endure gut wrenching long breaths, really weird time signatures and really fast runs for extended periods of time. I was actually surprised at some difficult passages how they nailed it after just a few runthroughs. Thanks to this we actually had time to record some extra stuff which I had written in half a day or so before going to Budapest. This next tune I want to share is one of those bonus songs. I am extra pleased that we got to record this one because it is a lament to one of the greatest scientist Stellaris has ever produced!
The song is called “In Memory of M.R” and it was recorded in one take, 5 minutes before we had to pack up and end the recording session. The musicians had never seen the music sheets before and this is what happened.

(Music Sample: Youtube video of “In Memory of Mercedes Romero”)

I hope you guys will like the new music for Utopia and I can’t wait to do more music for Stellaris when I get time off from all the other games we are doing.

This is a list of the songs included in Utopia with a running time of 24 minutes and 30 seconds:
“A New Dawn”
“Towards Utopia”
“The Imperial Fleet”
“Cradle of the Galaxy”
“In Memory of M.R”

/Andreas

The Music Player (Free Feature)
Thank you Andreas! I also wanted to touch briefly on the Music Player. The Music Player is an in-game tool that allows you to browse the music tracks available in the game and pick specific tracks you want to listen to. It also allows you to set which tracks should be on your playlist, whether they should play sequentially or use random shuffle, and also lets you go back to previously played tracks and skip forward to the next track. In other words... it's a music player, exactly as it says on the tin. :)
View attachment 247659

Finally, I'll leave you with a cryptic little note: There's something special that's been added to the audio for Banks by none other than our Audio Director, Björn Iversen, himself. Keep your eyes peeled for it in the patch notes...

That's all for now! Next week we'll start wrapping up the Utopia/Banks dev diaries by talking about colored ships and a few other tidbits.

Will the new tracks, and the tracks from Leviathan ever be made available for purchase and download, similar to the the OST?
You can get the songs from Leviathans in .ogg format by going to the Stellaris game folder, then \dlc\dlc012_leviathans. You should have a ZIP-file in there with the songs inside.

And since this is also the case with EU4 music DLCs, I don't see how things will be different in Utopia as well

now, that we have a music player, can you please add the MISSING tracks from Mia Stegmar to the game and Soundtrack. They are fitting so well to the game and all people who dont like voice in the soundtrack can simply remove them over the player.

And i can finaly buy the Stellaris Soundtrack too :)

I mean this f.e.:

Am going to play Mandate of Heaven today and as such hasn't tried Utopia yet. Though while waiting for MoH to release I've been listening to the music from Utopia. @Jazzhole you've done a stellar job yet again. Keep doing what you're doing, since it's superb!

(Every time a new expansion/music dlc launches I always extract the music from the zip files and add it to my playlist.)

A bit sad there isn't new music for EU4 coming with Mandate of Heaven though, but guess you can't get everything.

Looking forward to you making more music.

now, that we have a music player, can you please add the MISSING tracks from Mia Stegmar to the game and Soundtrack. They are fitting so well to the game and all people who dont like voice in the soundtrack can simply remove them over the player.

And i can finaly buy the Stellaris Soundtrack too :)

I mean this f.e.:
I too prefer the versions with Mia over the instrumental ones. After having heard the versions with her the instrumental ones just feel like something is missing (i.e. the vocals).:p
Also if it isn't added it should be trivially simple to do in a small mod. Just exchange the song files and change the names in the song text files.

Damn, when I heard In Memory of Mercedes Romero I was like "this is hands down my favourite tune in the whole soundtrack next to 'Battle for Supremacy' or whatever it was called.

Then I looked at the song name in the player and lulled.

Forever stabbing the F key for you Mercedes. You were the greatest sentient to have blessed the galaxy with your warp signature. Gone but never forgotten.

Kinda wish I could build a memorial building on one of my planets now. Or a megastructure memorial...

Yes, that's a really pretty piece of music.

Why? Does it say something ridiculous?
But yes, it's a really great piece of music. Similarly with The Imperial Fleet.

Damn, when I heard In Memory of Mercedes Romero I was like "this is hands down my favourite tune in the whole soundtrack next to 'Battle for Supremacy' or whatever it was called.

Forever stabbing the F key for you Mercedes. You were the greatest sentient to have blessed the galaxy with your warp signature. Gone but never forgotten.

Kinda wish I could build a memorial building on one of my planets now. Or a megastructure memorial...

Yes, it would be cool to be able to build a memorial or something similar in homage of some importanta NPC(s) whose life(s) was(were) dedicated to the greater good of his/her empire and citizens -- that said, all I have to add to my post in this thread is: DEAD TO ALL BLORGS!!!